PDA

View Full Version : FB: UVA 28, Duke 21

awhom111
09-29-2017, 11:43 PM
Time to start thinking about the next game. As usual, I will post any information as soon as I can get it so that everyone can make plans if necessary.

TV Stations:
http://theacc.com/sports/2017/9/25/acc-network-football-duke-virginia.aspx

ACC Website Viewing:
http://www.theacc.com/watch/

There should be a direct ACC link eventually, but you will be able to access the game from the link above. Their stream is free and completely unrestricted so anyone can watch with internet access.

The blackout map should come out later in the week, but will likely include any place in the ACC footprint that has a station on the list. After that, ESPN College Extra channel assignments will be released for those outside the blackout zone who have providers that carry that package.

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Time to start thinking about the next game.

Thanks for the information! I contemplated making the trip to Charlottesville, but I've decided to stay home and watch on TV. Channel 507 on Verizon Fios in Hampton Roads.

devildeac
09-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the information! I contemplated making the trip to Charlottesville, but I've decided to stay home and watch on TV. Channel 507 on Verizon Fios in Hampton Roads.

We'll be at the Duke-UVA game.

Bob Green
10-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Team health remains very good:

Stephen Wiseman‏
@stevewisemanNC

Cutcliffe said Duke has no new injuries that should linger into Saturday at this point. Health front remains remarkably clean five games in

chrishoke
10-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Duke opens as a 4.5 point favorite vs. Virginia. Wow.

Bob Green
10-02-2017, 04:57 AM
Duke is now a 2.5 points underdog:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

budwom
10-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Duke is now a 2.5 points underdog:

I guess some folks watched the Miami game...

devildeac
10-02-2017, 11:16 AM
We'll be there but not at the $100 ID price for tix and tailgate:p.

rtnorthrup
10-02-2017, 11:53 AM
This is a big game for Duke. How will such a young team respond to their first loss. Cut's words this weekend were interesting. It sounds like he senses some confidence draining out of his players. I would expect to see some tweaks to the offense this week. He is going to have to scheme to help his OL block and his WRs get open. I still think our defense will keep us in this game until our offense can get going.

uh_no
10-02-2017, 01:18 PM
We'll be there but not at the $100 ID price for tix and tailgate:p.

I'll offer my living room and backyard for anyone who wants to tailgate and watch at the low low price of 95$ !!!! All proceeds go to the islay-for-uh-no foundation.

What a deal!

devildeac
10-02-2017, 02:14 PM
I'll offer my living room and backyard for anyone who wants to tailgate and watch at the low low price of 95$ !!!! All proceeds go to the islay-for-uh-no foundation.

What a deal!

BYOB I'll wager. :rolleyes:

Avvocato
10-02-2017, 04:33 PM
This is a big game for Duke. How will such a young team respond to their first loss. Cut's words this weekend were interesting. It sounds like he senses some confidence draining out of his players. I would expect to see some tweaks to the offense this week. He is going to have to scheme to help his OL block and his WRs get open. I still think our defense will keep us in this game until our offense can get going.

Agreed. I think the main key is the offensive line. They've done a good job in the running game. However, against the better teams, the offensive tackles have really struggled in pass protection. While our receivers struggled to get free against Miami, I think they will be able to get the job done if Jones has some time to throw. It will also help if we commit more to the run and establish it early. That should keep us in more 3rd and shorts and allow for more play action passes. I've been one who has wanted Jones to run less to protect himself. However, I think his running is also a key to keep these defenses honest. I'm wondering if the coaches lack of confidence in the offensive line led to the many short pass plays (thinking we needed Jones to unload the ball quickly). We can't do that at the volume we did last week. Miami was able to sit on our receivers knowing everything was being thrown short. We need to be able to throw down the field. Of course, there's the chicken and the egg issue.

Coming into the season, we would have hoped that Virginia would be an easier game. But they have played well, for the most part. With so many tough ACC games left on the schedule, need to take care of business Saturday. You don't want a losing streak to develop and snowball as we head towards FSU. Let's get it done. Go Duke.

Bob Green
10-02-2017, 05:30 PM
It will also help if we commit more to the run and establish it early. That should keep us in more 3rd and shorts and allow for more play action passes. I've been one who has wanted Jones to run less to protect himself. However, I think his running is also a key to keep these defenses honest.

I also desire to see us commit to the run. Run the ball inside and outside, with our talented running backs and quarterback, run the ball and force Virginia to stop us. I'd like to see more two running back sets and more touches for Deon Jackson as well.

dpslaw
10-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Can’t let this thread drop from the first page!

Bob Green
10-04-2017, 03:14 PM
This article at the Richmond Times-Dispatch discusses Virginia's passing attack:

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/acc/the-art-of-the-deep-ball-how-virginia-has-transformed/article_26a66679-5a03-501e-8dcd-936a56640142.html

Benkert and company will tell you it’s the short to midrange passes that make the Cavaliers’ offense go, but there’s no denying that it’s been the explosive plays that have taken it from pedestrian to potent the past two games.

Virginia is third in the ACC in Passing Offense averaging 312.3 yards per game, while Duke is ninth in Passing Defense giving up 220.8 yards per game.

Virginia’s opponent Saturday, Duke, is giving up the fourth most yards per pass attempt (7.4) in the ACC, and has allowed seven touchdown passes against it, fifth most in the league, meaning — if the line can protect him — Benkert might have a shot at pulling of another YouTube-worthy play.

The defense is going to have to pressure Virginia QB Benkert in order to prevent those explosive plays. With our stout run defense, I expect Virginia, 12th in the ACC in Rushing Offense, will be passing twice as much as they run. They'll rush enough to keep us honest but it will be "Air Cavalier" come Saturday.

Bob Green
10-04-2017, 04:10 PM
This Charlottesville Daily Progress article has multiple quotes from Coach Cutcliffe. Example:

Quizzed by media if Miami had exposed weaknesses in Duke’s offense, Cutcliffe bristled.

“I don’t think anything was exposed,” he said. “I think Miami is really good. There’s nothing schematically wrong. It was just a matter of making plays. You’ve got to be competitive.

And one from Coach Mendenhall, on Duke's defense being ranked #18 nationally in QB sacks:

“A year ago, before we played Duke, they were leading the ACC in sacks,” Mendenhall pointed out. “I don’t remember when we played them in terms of time of year (Oct. 1), but they had a similar reputation going in.”

Devilwin
10-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Agreed. I think the main key is the offensive line. They've done a good job in the running game. However, against the better teams, the offensive tackles have really struggled in pass protection. While our receivers struggled to get free against Miami, I think they will be able to get the job done if Jones has some time to throw. It will also help if we commit more to the run and establish it early. That should keep us in more 3rd and shorts and allow for more play action passes. I've been one who has wanted Jones to run less to protect himself. However, I think his running is also a key to keep these defenses honest. I'm wondering if the coaches lack of confidence in the offensive line led to the many short pass plays (thinking we needed Jones to unload the ball quickly). We can't do that at the volume we did last week. Miami was able to sit on our receivers knowing everything was being thrown short. We need to be able to throw down the field. Of course, there's the chicken and the egg issue.

Coming into the season, we would have hoped that Virginia would be an easier game. But they have played well, for the most part. With so many tough ACC games left on the schedule, need to take care of business Saturday. You don't want a losing streak to develop and snowball as we head towards FSU. Let's get it done. Go Duke.

I read where we averaged just over four yards per completion against Miami..

budwom
10-04-2017, 04:36 PM
A loss Saturday transforms our stroll to six wins into a potential crawl.

Bob Green
10-04-2017, 04:37 PM
I read where we averaged just over four yards per completion against Miami..

Incorrect.

Daniel Jones was 21-42-1 for 166 yards. That is 7.9 yards per completion. The stat you are referring to is yards per attempt which was a dismal 3.95.

killerleft
10-04-2017, 04:41 PM

But a win...:)... keeps us on track for even more wins! I'm trying to decide if I want to go to Charlottesville and see this one live. Should be a good one. And the scenery might be nice along the way.

Edit: There are many tickets from $22.00 on up available on StubHub. $50.00 can get you some good seats.

Bob Green
10-04-2017, 04:55 PM

It's "run the ball" or basketball time for Duke according to Ben Swain:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/it-s-run-the-ball-or-basketball-time-for-duke/16991474/

Only twice did Duke have possessions where it involved their running backs on consecutive plays. Brittain Brown had consecutive runs of 7, 8, 8 and 11 yards on Duke’s first possession of the second quarter, and Shaun Wilson had back to back runs of 11 and 13 yards in Duke’s first drive of the second half. Both drives crossed midfield. Neither ended in points. Both ended after negative plays in the passing game.

arnie
10-04-2017, 07:09 PM

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/it-s-run-the-ball-or-basketball-time-for-duke/16991474/
Very revealing, Miami must have wondered why we didn’t run all over em.

uh_no
10-04-2017, 08:16 PM

did cut address any of this? i mean there should be some justification for the calls.... whether poor or not...

jimsumner
10-04-2017, 09:10 PM
did cut address any of this? i mean there should be some justification for the calls... whether poor or not...

Cut's public thoughts are that the play-calling is fine, the execution of those calls is not.

awhom111
10-04-2017, 09:26 PM
The Blackout Map has arrived:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3187545.jpg

It also appears that the list or TV stations carrying the game also doubles as the direct link.

Based on your location, here are your options:

Out of the country:
-Online through link provided in opening post

Black:
-Television station listed in link provided in opening post

Green:
-Television on ESPN College Extra if your provider carries service (Spectrum customers check local listings, DirecTV 789, U-Verse 615, Verizon FIOS 822)
-Online through ACC Network Extra feature of WatchESPN

Gewebe14
10-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Cut's public thoughts are that the play-calling is fine, the execution of those calls is not.

If I recall correctly after running it that 4-5 times in a row right up the gut we went for a long TD pass that could have easily hit. But didnt... Totally fine with that, but it seemed like there could have been a few more drives where we were heavier on the run. Score a TD in the 3rd and maybe the game totally changes...

Anyway, here's hoping it was a credit to Miami's secondary and that UVA's is not nearly as good!

duke79
10-04-2017, 10:06 PM
The Blackout Map has arrived:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3187545.jpg

It also appears that the list or TV stations carrying the game also doubles as the direct link.

Based on your location, here are your options:

Out of the country:

Black:

Green:
-Television on ESPN College Extra if your provider carries service (Spectrum customers check local listings, DirecTV 789, U-Verse 615, Verizon FIOS 822)
-Online through ACC Network Extra feature of WatchESPN

Channel 51 on DISH, at least on my lineup of stations

uh_no
10-04-2017, 10:28 PM

Oof. not sure I can agree with that. Even if the play calls were right from a high level, if the coaches are calling plays the players can't consistently execute, then there is STILL blame on the coaches.

It's a two way street.

Your civic isn't going to go its fastest around VIR if you try to drive it like an F1 car. That doesn't mean you shouldn't tune up your civic, but it means it's on both. The car needs to be able to perform, and the driver needs to know how to get the most out of the car.

The players need to execute, of course, but the coaching staff needs to know how to get the most out of what the offense is. Complaining that your civic isn't an F1 car isn't going to make it go faster.

So maybe it's somewhat coach speak and trying to inspire the team. It's hard to know what is and isn't coach speak...but overall I'm somewhat disappointed at the lack of acknowledgement of the coaches role in getting the best out of the team through their game calling. It's been pretty universally derided of late.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cutcliffe and think he's a great coach....but I think sometimes his loyalty to protect his coaches prevents us from addressing some things which should be addressed. Again, maybe he is in the background. Impossible to know....but seems unlikely he would have not at least acknowledged it if it was something he thought needed improvement.

duke09hms
10-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Oof. not sure I can agree with that. Even if the play calls were right from a high level, if the coaches are calling plays the players can't consistently execute, then there is STILL blame on the coaches.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cutcliffe and think he's a great coach...but I think sometimes his loyalty to protect his coaches prevents us from addressing some things which should be addressed. Again, maybe he is in the background. Impossible to know...but seems unlikely he would have not at least acknowledged it if it was something he thought needed improvement.

Same. Cutcliffe has been a revelation for Duke, and it's a VERY short list of other coaches who might have done better. He does tend to overestimate his coaching staff, and his promotions of people in the OC position borders on near-cronyism.

Scottie Montgomery to OC with zero OC experience. At least he had top-level WR experience and had proven chops at coaching WR.
Zac Roper, on the other hand, wow. From special teams coach (where he killed it), straight to OC starting in 2016 ... crazy.
What happens when we bring in new blood - Ben Albert and our DL are straight up KILLING.

Some of those play calls on Friday ... sheesh, it was hard to get excited after the defense came up with a huge play because you just knew we were going to shoot ourselves in the foot with pass plays. Why we choose to force the ball to Rahming, who is arguably our least physical WR and often covered by the other team's best player is beyond me. He was targeted 9 times for 2 receptions. Still we like to throw fade routes in the endzone to our 5-6, 165lb WR with 0 TDs on the year.

BEAT UVA!

budwom
10-05-2017, 08:16 AM
^ I agree. Plus we lost Latina as a GREAT offensive line coach....it would seem that his much less experienced replacement is struggling to get that unit organized.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-05-2017, 08:22 AM
^ I agree. Plus we lost Latina as a GREAT offensive line coach...it would seem that his much less experienced replacement is struggling to get that unit organized.

Latina? A woman talking about routes?

/goofy smile\

TKG
10-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Latina? A woman talking about routes?

/goofy smile\

Easy, Cam. Easy. :)

johnb
10-05-2017, 09:40 AM
It's a team game. If our receivers are having trouble getting free from future pro cornerbacks, then our qb will hold the ball an extra 0.5 seconds, and our OL will look bad. Or maybe the circle starts with the OL--I didn't watch with a stopwatch, but I'd guess that our OL would look terrific if the receivers had quickly been open.

Similarly "NFL" throws are deemed such--I'd think--by virtue of the timing and placement into a tight spot. We've known for months that we have a bunch of good receivers but none that were seen as All ACC. As such, "NFL" throws into NFL coverage is going to lead to a low completion percent.

Confrontation, player putdowns, and the usual WFAN badmouthing might work if we had a bunch of lugs who didn't try very hard or were getting dumb personal fouls or were tuning out during games or were failing in their role as student athletes. I don't see any of that.

A few key plays go the other way, and the game is close. Its probably what a whole lot of basketball teams say when they lose to Duke by 10 points after being tied at halftime. And it's true... those other teams can and sometimes do win. Aside from a few dominant years, we are only somewhat better than the average ACC team--but "somewhat" is usually enough. To beat Miami, Florida State, Louisville, we'd have to be fortunate in regards to the breaks.

UVa, meanwhile, is definitely beatable if we get the usual breaks.

Ie, Miami is similar to NCCU in that neither is a great yardstick for how we'll play Virginia,

Go Devils!

Devil549
10-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Need to beat VA to become 1-1 in ACC and progressing to the goal of being bowl eligible. VA is not Miami but we must play like we did vs NW anything less will make it a tight game. I was really impressed with the speed on defense for Miami. I feel we have better speed on defensive than in past but not Miami type speed.

We can be competitive in our remaining games if we keep improving on both sides of the ball.....if we beat teams we should and a couple we should not could have 9-10 wins.

dukie’s_daughter
10-05-2017, 12:50 PM
We're already 1-1 in the ACC (We beat the cheats!). But I'm ready to be 2-1!
Go DUKE. Beat the wa - out of the hoos!!

devildeac
10-05-2017, 03:01 PM
We'll be in Section 511, Row F (no, not 9F:rolleyes:). Come visit.

Bob Green
10-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Uniform combination: Blue Helmet, White Jersey, Blue Pants:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLYSIXzXkAEfF0x.jpg

devildeac
10-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Uniform combination: Blue Helmet, White Jersey, Blue Pants:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLYSIXzXkAEfF0x.jpg

WTH? No gray? :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
10-05-2017, 07:03 PM
WTH? No gray? :rolleyes:

"Too soon."

Devil549
10-05-2017, 09:56 PM
My bad we are 1-1 in ACC for a second I was thinking UNC was n the SEC (So Everybody Cheats)😎

duketaylor
10-05-2017, 10:57 PM
We'll be in Section 511, Row F (no, not 9F:rolleyes:). Come visit.

Coming back thru Richmond? Could get together for a sampling of a new brewery or three?:cool:

Vasen is nice (and close to the interstate) as is Veil and maybe another.

I work til 4 that day and will be ready for consumption as I'm off Sunday. Go Cowboys!!! Beat Packers!!!

Go Duke!!! Beat the Hoos!!!

duketaylor
10-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Pack just scored to lead L'ville by 2 scores in the 4th, Pack must be for real. They do have an impressively loud crowd tonight. Probably went to RBC before the game to meditate, er, imbibe.

devildeac
10-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Coming back thru Richmond? Could get together for a sampling of a new brewery or three?:cool:

Vasen is nice (and close to the interstate) as is Veil and maybe another.

I work til 4 that day and will be ready for consumption as I'm off Sunday. Go Cowboys!!! Beat Packers!!!

Go Duke!!! Beat the Hoos!!!

Sadly, no. We'll be driving back on 29S through Lynchburg and Danville. Gotta have the son-in-law back by 8 PM for a family event. Sorry you can't join us pre-game or in-game in Section 511. :(

alteran
10-06-2017, 09:29 AM
We're already 1-1 in the ACC (We beat the cheats!)
Is UNC still in the ACC and Division 1?

My understanding was that you need to be an academic institution for both of those.

Dukelogger
10-06-2017, 01:19 PM
This game is huge. Have to put last Friday behind us. And have to make no doubt we are still way ahead of UVA as a program and in the upper echelon in the Coastal. The one positive about last weekend is VT looked beatable. Clemson is in my opinion the best team in the country, but that game was not close for one minute. At no point did it seem like Clemson was in any danger of losing, contrary to the BC game when it was tied 7-7 going into the 4thq.

I've accepted the fact Miami hit a home run with Richt, and honestly it is what it is. They will be very good as long as he is head coach, and in terms of the pecking order in the division they are going to be tough to catch. But every other team in the division IMO is on equal ground or behind us when you look at depth, talent and years remaining for key contributors this season. I thought Roper didn't have his best outing Friday, and while I can concede Miami was the better team, it shouldve been much closer than that. We have three stud RBs and we need to show them and our Oline we trust them to set the tone early. PITT, GT, and UVA have already put up a lemon on D (OKSU, vs Tenn, vs Ind, respectively) this year and I still think this offense can find its footing and get back on track for what we all hoped it would become this season. VT is a game we will need to just put together a cleaner effort and win the turnover battle, but our Dline can get to that freshman qb and keep us in it.

Still think 9-4 is on the table, finish 2nd in the Coastal, go to a bowl game (hopefully Belk) and beat an SEC team, and finish the year with a win vs Big ten, big 12, SEC and bragging rights over the goats. Then go into the offseason primed for a huge 2018 season. I'm still very excited about what this season has in store for us. DDMF!

Bob Green
10-07-2017, 06:08 AM
Checking the local papers:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article177396786.html

Duke coach David Cutcliffe is concerned but not alarmed with his offensive line.

“We have guys who can win individual battles,” he said. “There are some things that can be done schematically better. I think we are seeing some things that can help us grow quickly in that direction.”

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/acc/a-year-after-roughing-him-up-virginia-expects-a-more/article_c15c3e6d-e977-5670-a123-de71caa6e449.html

Virginia DE Juwan Moye on Daniel Jones:

“He likes to run a lot. He’s really confident in his game. He’s a solid piece. Like last year, we knew that if we got to him, we could own the game. I think we’re going to have to have the same game plan, but he’s going to be a lot tougher.”

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/university-virginia/football/after-week-off-cavaliers-look-to-continue-momentum-they-built/article_e4d6087f-7070-5010-a481-16376c655d5a.html

Virginia Head Coach Bronco Mendenhall on the bye week:

“I think we’ve used (the time) the best way we can,” said Mendenhall, whose team is off to its first 3-1 start since 2007. “It’s always a challenge if you have momentum to not have a game, and then to rekindle that before the next game. But all signs at this point seem like the players and the team are still gaining momentum and anxious to play.”

Reilly
10-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Gameday Saturday!

Fight, fight Blue Devils ...

Reilly
10-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Series history: http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/d/duke/opponents_records.php?teamid=3385 (well, no 2016 entry).

We've played them in Richmond (most recently 1961), Atlanta, Lynchburg, and Norfolk.

Almost 20 years ago to the day since the Chris Combs "salute" game -- where does the time go?

Kimist
10-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Just found out the UVa game (ACC Game of the Week??) in the Raleigh/Durham area is on WRAL, which for nearly a month has been in a urinating competition with AT&T U-Verse.

Simple translation: Viewers of WRAL/WRAZ (channels 5 and 50) with a U-Verse feed see only a beautiful blue screen.

Supposedly there is a new owner of Capital Broadca$ting.

I had planned to record the noon game and view it later today. That is now an impossibility. Is there any web site where I can, perhaps, at least sit at my computer and watch the game (live) when I might have some free time?

Thanks!

k

CameronBornAndBred
10-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Just found out the UVa game (ACC Game of the Week??) in the Raleigh/Durham area is on WRAL, which for nearly a month has been in a urinating competition with AT&T U-Verse.

Simple translation: Viewers of WRAL/WRAZ (channels 5 and 50) with a U-Verse feed see only a beautiful blue screen.

Supposedly there is a new owner of Capital Broadca$ting.

I had planned to record the noon game and view it later today. That is now an impossibility. Is there any web site where I can, perhaps, at least sit at my computer and watch the game (live) when I might have some free time?

Thanks!

k

It should be streaming on theacc.com

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 10:39 AM

In my experience, that's a more reliable streaming experience that second or third tier ESPN games online.

Kimist
10-07-2017, 11:02 AM

Thanks! I've now got the link up on my computer, states "This event will start on 10/7/2017 at 12:00 pm."

I guess sitting in front of a desktop beats nothing. Doubt if I will be around the house for much more than a quarter or two. That's why I planned to record the doggone game.

Curse you WRAL/WRAZ management and AT&T U-Verse !! :mad:

k

CameronBornAndBred
10-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Thanks! I've now got the link up on my computer, states "This event will start on 10/7/2017 at 12:00 pm."

I guess sitting in front of a desktop beats nothing. Doubt if I will be around the house for much more than a quarter or two. That's why I planned to record the doggone game.

k

They might archive it for later viewing, but chances are you'd have to wait longer than you want. I'll be watching the stream too since I have to be at my gallery during the game. I've got my tablet plugged into my TV and surround sound, so that makes the experience a little better. (And I'll have my Duke blue grill fired up out front!)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 11:32 AM
They might archive it for later viewing, but chances are you'd have to wait longer than you want. I'll be watching the stream too since I have to be at my gallery during the game. I've got my tablet plugged into my TV and surround sound, so that makes the experience a little better. (And I'll have my Duke blue grill fired up out front!)

Mark me down as "checking in from work as able and hoping to make a strategically-timed lunch break at a local watering hole."

jimsumner
10-07-2017, 11:44 AM

k

Mild curses on Capitol Broadcasting. Major curses on AT&T. Capitol responded to an email from me. AT&T hasn't responded to three. They also haven't updated their "update" page since September 13. Capitol gave away digital antennas, while AT&T isn't even offering rebates, at least in any structured way. I honestly think AT&T doesn't give a rodent's derriere whether I or anyone else keeps a subscription to U-Verse. I think they're going to allocate their resources to Direct TV.

We were hoping to hold out until Google reached our neighborhood. Not sure if that's going to work. Might have to call Spectrum.

peloton
10-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Yes, I'm thinking a day trip sometime this season (away game of course) to the city where Peloton was born just might be in order. Duke football, conversation with CB&B and Co., a possible art purchase, and grub off the grill(?!) - how can you go wrong? If I'm lucky I might be able to drag Mrs. Peloton (and possibly a son or two) along, who knows?

That said, we need to take care of business today, see some offensive improvement, dominate the Cavaliers, and reestablish momentum. Let's go Duke!!

Bob Green
10-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Thirty minutes to kick off with Duke now a 1 point favorite in Vegas:

The over/under is at 53.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Thirty minutes to kick off with Duke now a 1 point favorite in Vegas:

The over/under is at 53.

If the game goes to over 50 points, I hope Duke has at least 35. I don't expect our defense to give up 25+ points to this UVa squad.

Let's Go Duke!

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Boy. What a fantastic offensive start.

wsb3
10-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Game is on WSFX-DT 26.1. Wilmington area.Pick 6. Ugh...

richardjackson199
10-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Wow. What is wrong with our offense? Defense continues to try to give us life.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Wow. What is wrong with our offense? Defense continues to try to give us life.
Play calling.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 12:39 PM
And terrible throws by Jones.

Faison1
10-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Our receivers are mental these days.....

riverside6
10-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Live stats for Duke/uva ...

https://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-virginia-football-live-stats-10072017

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Our D is legit! Too bad the offense is stinking it up :(

Faison1
10-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Seriously....what's the matter with our receivers?

wsb3
10-07-2017, 01:01 PM
The good side of a Pick6

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Yay!

nyesq83
10-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Our O better have sustained drives or our D will be gassed in 4th q. DJ needs to get over sophomore slump and receivers need stuckum

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Run the ball....PLEASE!!!

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Run the ball...PLEASE!!!

Yes, let's!

6th Man
10-07-2017, 01:18 PM
To this point Daniel Jones is 1 for 12 and 2 picks. More completions to UVA. Surprised Cut isn’t letting him sit out a series or 2. Defense playing lights out! Hate to see the offense so anemic.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Someone’s gotta find the cranio-rectal extraction device.

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Why are we using Jackson so much at RB??? Last I checked, we had two pretty good guys named Wilson and Brown.

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Score before we get in the RZ!

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Yes, let's take Daniel Jones out of the game when he's just starting to get hot. What is up with this offensive maneuvering?

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Ok. That’s more like it. Better play calling and great execution by dJ.

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Nice! Jones seems to be settling down.

wsb3
10-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Wow. Where has this offense been? 90 yard drive.

Faison1
10-07-2017, 01:32 PM
That was a really good drive. I think most of the success had to do with Daniel tucking and running, something he hasn't done a lot of since the Baylor game

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 01:35 PM
For the record, defense still unblemished. Six points against the offense.

I still like the "under."

TKG
10-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Awful play calling to give the ball back to UVA with 3:12 to go. Poor clock management.

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Not one run...with us losing the punting battle?

Sixthman
10-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Our offensive play calling is recklessly bad.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Our offensive play calling is recklessly bad.

Not as bad as defensive penalties have.

TKG
Two PIs and a Defensive holding period in this UVA drive. Damn.

nyesq83
D showing fatigue now

nyesq83
10-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Gamble and loss by McDuffie

Indoor66
10-07-2017, 01:49 PM
D was poor on that drive.

TKG
10-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Gamble and loss by McDuffie

To go along with his PI and Defensive Holding. Not a great series for #9.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 01:57 PM
D was poor on that drive.

D wasn't bad, just too, uh, penalty-worthy. I will chalk it up to being tired at the end of the half and making mistakes.

Definitely need to stay sharp in the second half to win this.

devilnfla
10-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Has Duke ever had such a bad Punter? 37 yards, with the roll.

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 02:00 PM
We're gaining over 5 yards a carry and losing 15 yards per punt. They are rushing for less than 2 yards per carry.

ehdg
10-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Lousy start to the game n our passing looked awful for the first half. Sadly 3 PI calls on uvas TD drive. Specially the one on OJ hurt or Gilbert had a pick 7, Damn! Our Defense kept us in the game in the first half till u as last drive. Need to try n run the ball more in the 2nd half. 14 all anyones game n hopefully we wear them down n win this in the 4th quarter.

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Run. The. Ball!

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Run the ball

TKG
10-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Cav DBs taking a page from Miami's book, all over of WRs; not letting them breathe.

Sixthman
10-07-2017, 02:16 PM
First drive: 0 for 4 passing; 1 rush for 15 yards; that's interesting to me.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 02:17 PM
He hasn't been close on the deep passes. He’s late, overthrowing and underthrowing. Hardly a catchable pass down field all game. Enough!

brlftz
1 run, fifteen yards. And 4 incomplete passes

ChrisP
Wilson runs for 15 yds on only his FOURTH carry of the game and...we then proceed to throw 3 straight (incomplete) passes. Yeah, that makes sense.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 02:19 PM
D starting to look tired.

TKG
10-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Boy, McDuffie is struggling.

Sixthman
10-07-2017, 02:20 PM
D starting to look tired.

Certainly not making plays.

TKG
10-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Let's hold them to a FG.

luvdahops
10-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Boy, McDuffie is struggling.

Big time. Looks a step slow in coverage, and has missed several tackles in a row.

Sixthman
10-07-2017, 02:29 PM
UVA wins the battle of half time adjustments. They got the ball into the hands of their playmakers on opening drive of the second half while Duke did more of what was not working.

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 02:33 PM
They've abandoned the run....extra covers needed.

Indoor66
10-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Passing game is not sharp today.

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 02:36 PM
O M G. Seriously, Roper?

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Why oh why do we keep throwing long?!?!?!?! Haven’t been close. Runs working... too well???

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 02:37 PM
2 carries - 14 yds....pass pass pass

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Why oh why do we keep throwing long?!?!?!?! Haven’t been close. Runs working... too well???

Word! Jones not sharp but even when he hits receivers in the hands, they cannot hang on.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 02:38 PM
2 carries - 14 yds...incomplete pass incomplete pass incomplete pass
FIFY

luvdahops
10-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Offense looks really out of synch and that was a bonehead punt by a Parker.

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Offense looks really out of synch and that was a bonehead punt by a Parker.

Can we all just agree that Parker is not a good punter?

TKG
10-07-2017, 02:41 PM
How does #70 not account for Kizer?

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Four down territory...run & call plays accordingly. The closer we get to the end zone, the longer the punts get.

Sixthman
10-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Two Duke offensive linemen were actually blocking each other on that third down run.

brlftz
10-07-2017, 02:43 PM
How hard is it to NOT kick the ball 55 yards?!?

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 02:43 PM
UVA is good - solid - but Duke just seems out of synch today. Maybe a hangover from Miami game? This one feels winnable but I fear we're going to keep finding ways to screw it up.

ChrisP
10-07-2017, 02:45 PM
How hard is it to NOT kick the ball 55 yards?!?

Yeah, really! Especially when Parker can't seem to break 40 yds when we need him to.

Devilwin
10-07-2017, 02:49 PM
3d and ten..Qb gets loose. Guy is slower than me.. First down.

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Come on guys & get off the field.

Devilwin
10-07-2017, 02:51 PM
And again. Team looks defeated already.

TKG
10-07-2017, 02:57 PM
We may have 4 more possessions in this game. We cannot waste any.

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Score again!!! One offensive TD in 8 quarters. Gee...wonder where it's going?

Devilwin
10-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Play calling has been kinda bad in this game. Daniel not having one of his best games (obviously), now the defense looks tired. I don't get all the shots downfield...

brlftz
10-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Rolling INTO THE ENDZONE WITH THE BALL :-(

ehdg
10-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Our play calling has been awful for the last few weeks. If not for our Defense we'd be getting blown out. I don't get the play calling at all. Why don't we run the ball? We have very good backs and our OL hasn't been good all year protecting Jones. We need to run the ball to open up the passing game.

Devilwin
10-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Defense is toast. We are done. So disappointing. Penalties.........

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 03:18 PM
D too tired to put pressure on QB. This sucks. Roper has done little to help this team today. Killed the D by not being able to keep the offense on the field.

TKG
In the words of the immortal "Dandy" Don Meredith, "Turn out the lights. The party's over."

nyesq83
Ooh are we still worried The Future will leave?

luvdahops
10-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Defense is toast. We are done. So disappointing. Penalties.....

Rough day all around for our secondary. Poor tackling, poor coverage and killer penalties. The athleticism and anticipation we saw earlier in the year seems like a distant memory.

CameronBlue
10-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Wow, extremely disappointing game. Cut and the coaches let the team down with an incoherent game plan.

happydays1949
10-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Just run!

nyesq83
10-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Run Jones every play

nyesq83
10-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Harris works

TKG
10-07-2017, 03:26 PM
C'mon D. Get us a TO.

TKG
10-07-2017, 03:30 PM
D with a big stand. Well done, boys.

Duke79UNLV77
10-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Why fair catch there?

YmoBeThere
Ooh are we still worried The Future will leave?

Not after last week...

Dr. Rosenrosen
D with a big stand. Well done, boys.
Offense with another dud. Poorly done, Roper. We had time to run a little. WTF?

Dukehky
10-07-2017, 03:34 PM
6 minutes left, we can run the ball. Our offense has been doo doo

PDDuke85
10-07-2017, 03:35 PM

WTF Roper, the expression that never stales over time.

luvdahops
10-07-2017, 03:35 PM

Why no screens or underneath throws to RBs or WRs? Jones has been terribly inaccurate on longer throws. Not even close on most.

SilkyJ
10-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Jones can't hit the broad side a barn. Get him outta there.

luvdahops
10-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Way too many yards after first contact by Ellis

Duke79UNLV77
10-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Awful sack to take.

PDDuke85
10-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Unleash the Bracey

TKG
10-07-2017, 03:43 PM
You CANNOT take that sack.

PDDuke85
10-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Going to mow the grass. Safe week all.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Just... wow.

luvdahops
10-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Throwing a jump ball to Rahming on our last play? Kinda says it all for our play calling today.

CDu
10-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Well, the good news is that we don't have to worry about Jones going pro early (end sarcasm).

Rough day for him.

Wander
10-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Is that the worst passing game we've had in the Cutcliffe era?

SCMatt33
10-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Not gonna make any sweeping big picture remarks, but you can put this game almost entirely on Daniel Jones. The defense was solid for a good part of the day but got gassed. Even after getting gassed, they only gave up a net of 14 points on the day total. That has to be enough to win. UVA's defense was just daring Duke to beat them deep and the receivers had multiple steps on them many times and Jones couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. We've seen him hit them before, but you gotta at least hit some of those guys, and hit them in stride with some consistency if you want to keep defenses from just blanketing everyone underneath. Everyone is entitled to their off days, but Jones probably kept Duke from having a shot today, and I suspect he'd be the first to tell you that.

60sDukie
Was Roper watching the same game we were watching?

Bob Green
Extremely frustrating loss, the play calling is mind boggling. We consistently threw incomplete passes down the field. At some point the coaching staff has to own this. :mad:

YmoBeThere
10-07-2017, 03:53 PM
This season has a 7-5 or 6-6 regular season feel to it

TKG
10-07-2017, 03:53 PM
FYI, excluding Central, here are the records of the team's we have beaten this season:

Northwestern 2-3
Baylor 0-5
Cheats 1- 4

Hardly a Murders' Row.

dukelifer
10-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Bad day for Jones - may be banged up a bit- never know. The O is struggling now. Will need to regroup.

Devilwin
10-07-2017, 03:56 PM
The offense was garbage.. The refs were garbage..Our play calling was very confusing to me, and no way DJ should have taken those sacks.. All in all was a very, very disappointing outing. But hope springs eternal, so they say. FSU next week.. The defense will be fine, they just got gassed after the inept offense left them on the field all day. The offense needs a lot of work, and when I say that, I mean play calling as a top priority. We played right into their hands.
FSU is not the FSU of past years. Jones needs to get it together, and we can win that game. But we cannot take another showing like today. A season full of promise is heading to the crapper fast...:mad:

grossbus
10-07-2017, 04:03 PM
I agree with all of this

ipatent
10-07-2017, 04:06 PM
The deep threat isn't there on offense, we're going to see more defenses taking the underneath passes away until it gets better. Would things have gone better if they worked harder to establish the run early? Hard to tell.

peteandpete
10-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Wasting a greatly improved defense that should have given us a chance for a 10 win season (assuming the good health continues). One offensive TD in 8 quarters (the second one was aided significantly by a penalty and special teams play). Over 5 yards per carry in the first half with over 100 yards rushing. We took their ground game away for most of the game so I thought we might have inserted an extra DB to help defend the pass. 42 passing attempts? In spite of everything, we only lost one quarter.

ehdg
10-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Jones really didn’t look good at all today. He took a step backwards n helped with costly mistakes. He needs to know when to throw the ball away. He took two costly sacks on the final drive when we where trying to score a TD n tie up the game. Also by abandoning the run we had too many 3 n outs n tired out our Defense as they spent way too much time on the field in the 2nd half in 80 degree weather.

OZ
10-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Wasting a greatly improved defense that should have given us a chance for a 10 win season (assuming the good health continues). One offensive TD in 8 quarters (the second one was aided significantly by a penalty and special teams play). Over 5 yards per carry in the first half with over 100 yards rushing. We took their ground game away for most of the game so I thought we might have inserted an extra DB to help defend the pass. 42 passing attempts? In spite of everything, we only lost one quarter.

Totally agree, like last week, the defense couldn't stay off the field. Virginia had possession for approx. 36 minutes; and that was in 86 degree weather.

I think early success against weaker teams has seduced the coaches into thinking our receivers are better than they are. Against better talent, no receiver has stepped up to show they can get separation - even on shorter routes. A number of times today, Jones had the time, but no receiver was open. Granted, Jones wasn't a high light reel of pin point accuracy, but your receivers have to give you an opening.

Why, when we would have success running (last week and today), only to have the bombs thrown escapes my limited understanding of our team. We are quickly becoming last year's offense... pass first and predictable. The defense has been much better than I anticipated.

Just %&%$#@+*&^%$#?@!&^%$ !

TruBlu
10-07-2017, 04:40 PM

We have an uncommonly good defense this year, and an uncommonly bad offense. It would be nice if we could have some years where both are good.

The offense was garbage.. The refs were garbage..Our play calling was very confusing to me, and no way DJ should have taken those sacks.. All in all was a very, very disappointing outing. But hope springs eternal, so they say. FSU next week.. The defense will be fine, they just got gassed after the inept offense left them on the field all day. The offense needs a lot of work, and when I say that, I mean play calling as a top priority. We played right into their hands.
FSU is not the FSU of past years. Jones needs to get it together, and we can win that game. But we cannot take another showing like today. A season full of promise is heading to the crapper fast...:mad:

For the second week in a row. The offensive trend* is disturbing.

*Pun intended

TKG
10-07-2017, 04:43 PM
FSU has strong, agile and fast linebackers and DBs. Expect them to the defend our receivers just like Miami and UVA. They will press and will be physical. The onus is on our OC because the book on our Offense has been written.

SCMatt33
10-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Totally agree, like last week, the defense couldn't stay off the field. Virginia had possession for approx. 36 minutes; and that was in 86 degree weather.

I think early success against weaker teams has seduced the coaches into thinking our receivers are better than they are. Against better talent, no receiver has stepped up to show they can get separation - even on shorter routes. A number of times today, Jones had the time, but no receiver was open. Granted, Jones wasn't a high light reel of pin point accuracy, but your receivers have to give you an opening.

Why, when we would have success running (last week and today), only to have the bombs thrown escapes my limited understanding of our team. We are quickly becoming last year's offense... pass first and predictable. The defense has been much better than I anticipated.

Just %&%$#@+*&^%$#?@!&^%$ !

Totally disagree. I thought the receivers did a great job getting open downfield. They had a ton of plays that could have been home run balls where they didn't stand a chance to catch it and the one they did catch, he had to come back to the ball so it turned a td pass into merely a 25 yard gain. The problem is when there is aboaultely no fear of a qb hitting anyone over the top, they're going to blanket underneath routes and even the best receivers in the country won't be able to get open in the 5-15 yard range. You don't have to hit every one of those throws, but you have to prove you can hit a guy in stride at least some of the time 20+ yards downfield and outside the numbers or it makes the defenses job so much easier

Wander
10-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Totally disagree. I thought the receivers did a great job getting open downfield. They had a ton of plays that could have been home run balls where they didn't stand a chance to catch it and the one they did catch, he had to come back to the ball so it turned a td pass into merely a 25 yard gain. The problem is when there is aboaultely no fear of a qb hitting anyone over the top, they're going to blanket underneath routes and even the best receivers in the country won't be able to get open in the 5-15 yard range. You don't have to hit every one of those throws, but you have to prove you can hit a guy in stride at least some of the time 20+ yards downfield and outside the numbers or it makes the defenses job so much easier

Agree with your take - this loss was primarily on the QB, not the coaches. There were enough open throws to be made.

Secondarily, the loss was on our punting game. I think with some better punting we could slowly won a field position battle and uglied out a win, or at least have a chance in overtime. Instead all our punts go into the end zone (including one that was the fault of our downfield guys, not the punter).

rtnorthrup
10-07-2017, 04:50 PM
I dont know how to screenshot pictures, or I would post it, but about midway through the 1st quarter, there was a great image of Daniel Jones on the sidelines, and it didn't take a body language expert to know he was frustrated, confused, and shorn of any confidence. The Coaching staff has to see things like this, they have to have a plan B.

I said going into this game that the coaching staff needed to tweek the offense, to add some wrinkles designed to help Jones succeed. They didn't do that. The coaches were overwhelmed today.

OZ
10-07-2017, 05:07 PM

I guess we watched a different game.

jv001
10-07-2017, 05:08 PM
I dont know how to screenshot pictures, or I would post it, but about midway through the 1st quarter, there was a great image of Daniel Jones on the sidelines, and it didn't take a body language expert to know he was frustrated, confused, and shorn of any confidence. The Coaching staff has to see things like this, they have to have a plan B.

I said going into this game that the coaching staff needed to tweek the offense, to add some wrinkles designed to help Jones succeed. They didn't do that. The coaches were overwhelmed today.

I think I had rather see the wish-bone as our primary offense over this mess. Just kidding of course. Daniel seems to have lost his confidence and it showed on many of his pass attempts. Some of his passes looked like an infield fly ball. I don't remember Daniel making that type pass last season and the jump ball pass to Rahming would have been funny if hadn't been such an important play. The block Pierre made to get our back into the end zone was a thing of beauty. I wouldn't mind seeing him at fullback blocking for our runners as well as Daniel. Right now anything would be an improvement. GoDuke!

ipatent
10-07-2017, 05:09 PM
have to place some responsibility on the QB. That wasn't Clemson's defense out there.

nmduke2001
10-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Frustrating game. Jones struggled and I thought the play calling was odd. The defense looks great but they can't stay on they need some help from the offense.

Devilwin
10-07-2017, 05:27 PM
I admit it's easy to point fingers as a fan. Some things are glaringly obvious, however.

We get the running game cranked up, and three straight post patterns???

That pass in the flat that NEVER, EVER works???

Daniel had a bad day, we hung with him. My opinion, let Harris run the team for a series..

Four penalties on one drive for UVA.Three were correct.. Too bad one wiped out a pick six..

Several times our defense was in the wrong coverage and got burned in the second half.

I believe this is a very talented team. Most talent we've had in some time. But like an army, a great army can be brought to ruin by bad leadership.
Not to knock Coach Cut, he's done wonders here. But his lieutenants just don't seem to me to be getting the job done as of late.

sagegrouse
10-07-2017, 05:31 PM

You must not have seen the two catchable passes for TD's in the first half -- Rahming and Chris Taylor, I believe.

SCMatt33
10-07-2017, 06:14 PM
You must not have seen the two catchable passes for TD's in the first half -- Rahming and Chris Taylor, I believe.

Out of like 10 or so downfield pass attempts, I counted maybe 4 that the receivers even had a chance to catch. I think the announcers were also I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. in this game. One is the play on the sideline where he slowed up and it went through his hand. That ball needs to be a yard deep in the end zone instead of landing at the three and he could have run under it easily. Could that ball have been caught, for sure, but it was far from a perfect pass. I think the other was the one where Rahming kind of juggled it a few times before dropping it. That was another underthrow that either got tipped, or the defenders swat at it at least bothered him. Again, it could have been caught for sure, but a good throw and there's no one near the receiver to begin with and it's a much easier catch.

That's kind of what I'm saying. The majority of his passes didn't even give the receivers a chance and his best throws were enough in the vicinity to make a play on it, but weren't hitting the guys in stride. He needs to be hitting a couple of those in stride, his average pass needs to give them a chain em on only his worst passes give the, no chance. That's not where Jones was at all today. Did the receivers help by making great catches like UVA's, no, but I maintain Jones' accuracy was the much bigger issue today

Bob Green
10-07-2017, 06:56 PM
I'll start this post by acknowledging upfront that Coach Cutcliffe and his staff have forgotten more about football than I will ever know; however, sometimes really smart people are also really stubborn people.

Our offense is broke. Either:

a. Our QB isn't getting it done
b. Our receivers are not getting it done
c. Both a & b are true

Whatever? whichever?

This is now the responsibility of the coaching staff to correct. We cannot continue to throw the ball downfield unsuccessfully.

TKG
10-07-2017, 07:20 PM
This is now the responsibility of the coaching staff to correct.

I am in 100% agreement with you, Bob.

Indoor66
10-07-2017, 07:22 PM
I'll start this post by acknowledging upfront that Coach Cutcliffe and his staff have forgotten more about football than I will ever know; however, sometimes really smart people are also really stubborn people.

c. Both a & b are true

Whatever? whichever?

This is now the responsibility of the coaching staff to correct. We cannot continue to throw the ball downfield unsuccessfully.

To me both the QB and receivers looked very tentative all game long. I have no idea why.

jafarr1
10-07-2017, 07:28 PM
To me both the QB and receivers looked very tentative all game long. I have no idea why.

Duke's receivers rarely fight to finish their routes, or fight for the ball in the air. It's been that way all year.

Tough to get in a comfort zone as a QB when you don't know whether your receivers are going to do their jobs.

Edit: not trying to put 100% of it on the receivers, because Jones certainly isn't perfect. But the WRs have been downright bad this year.

OZ
10-07-2017, 07:50 PM

I honestly thought the O looked confused most of the day. That never really got on track against a defense that has been a bit flaccid this year. I don't know if Virginia was showing a new wrinkle; maybe, something they were not prepared for. Whatever was going on, we were unable to correct it at half time.

ehdg
10-07-2017, 08:08 PM

c. Both a & b are true

Whatever? whichever?

Bob,

Totally agree with your point. I personally thought today it was much more the QB, Jones. Most of his passes where either over thrown, under thrown or behind them. Even the announcers kept saying his passes where to the back shoulder when they should have been to the front so the receiver could make a play on the ball. Jones is in this second year and I would have expected him to be in more sync with the WR's from last year. But it seems like the familiarity isn't there. I'm not sure who to put that blame on the QB, the WR's or the Offensive coaches? But something just isn't meshing and as I keep saying our play calling it is worse the awful. Coach Cut needs to do something about that. It's a damn shame cause we finally have a really good Defense and our Offense isn't holding up their end of the game!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 08:14 PM
FSU next week. At home. I know they are down, but a win would be MASSIVE for our program.

Next play

devildeac
10-07-2017, 08:27 PM
We just got home from Hooville and I'm starting to read this thread. I'm still pissed off and I don't think it'll get any better reading all the posts but I will and see if the general/overall/majority of posts here match my observations. :mad:

aGDevil2k
10-07-2017, 08:30 PM

c. Both a & b are true

Whatever? whichever?

You are completely on-point. Cut has done amazing things for this program, and no matter what happens, we will all be grateful for that.

But right now, our offense is a mess, and we are facing ruining one of the best defenses that I can remember at Duke. He MUST fix it. We have too much talent on this team to blow this season (and honestly, if we keep playing like the last two games, we will end up 4-8).

The answer to your question is predominantly "A" with a caveat. We have two weaknesses on receiver, and they are both the "somehow" top 2 guys (TJ and Chris Taylor). Neither one are getting separation, fighting for the ball, or making the plays.

So on Jones, really if you look at it, when he makes the throws, they are being dropped -- BUT for the most part, he is so off-target that he's giving defenders chances to make plays. He is underthrowing deep balls (or the rarer just chuck it 10 yards over the heads), trailing the receiver on slants, or he is so far behind in timing that he's throwing it after the defender is making the closing play on the spot.

This is 90% on Jones - right now, he's an abysmal quarterback. Good kid, and I know he wants to play better, but he's killing the team with his play at the moment. He's not progressing his reads, forces it to TJ, and it's all-around bad. At this point, we need to sit him -- whether it a series or for a bit more, but he's gotta get his head together.

Truly, at practice, Cut needs to open up the WR and QB competitions, without bias. May the player who can win the job win it. I mean, it can't get worse at this point. We have 2 offensive TDs in 2 weeks -- and one of those was a 12 yard drive (that still took 4 plays, incl. a penalty).

On receiver, our starters should be Young, Lloyd, and Bracey. Chambers and Taylor should be the first off the bench. And TJ, bless him, he needs to be a slot -- the days of him being wide should be history.

I am not commenting on our play-calling, as I never thought a special teams coach without experience should a) coach quarterbacks or b) be an offensive coordinator. We have seen a degradation in both since Zac Roper took over.

devildeac
10-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Two PIs and a Defensive holding period in this UVA drive. Damn.

I thought the holding call was atrocious as was the second PI call. The flag was late on the holding (amazing coincidence it nullified a great tip and pick 6:mad:). The second PI call coulda/shoulda just as easily been offensive PI. :mad:

richardjackson199
10-07-2017, 08:40 PM

c. Both a & b are true

Whatever? whichever?

I agree 100%. I would vote that if we fail to win 6 games and make a bowl, especially after starting 4-0, that our offensive coordinator be fired. I don't get a vote, but that is one fan's opinion. Our offense was abysmal today, and got outcoached and outworked. Bronco has owned Cut.

Our defense is much better than expected, and they gave us more than enough chances today (and 7 points), despite being on the field for a long time in hot conditions.

Could we miss a bowl this year - absolutely if the offense does not improve drastically. Wake Forest is a better football team than UVA. They fell behind 14-0 to Clemson in about 2 minutes, but played them 14-14 after that today for the rest of the game. I know they almost blew it to App, but they have a stout defense, good coach, and are a good team. After the way our offense has looked the last 2 games, I expect we'll be underdogs to every team left on our schedule except Pitt.

So we just need to dramatically elevate our play on offense. Defense needs to just keep doing what they are doing, and continue to improve. If we do that, this team has the potential to play much better.

Daniel Jones showed last year that he can be a very good QB. He was a beast in games last year against Va Tech (we win that game if they don't return a blocked FG for TD) and UNC.

I really hope we play better. I thought the play of our offense today was unacceptably poor.

devildeac
10-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Cav DBs taking a page from Miami's book, all over of WRs; not letting them breathe.

Cut was rather upset about this point (or perhaps it was later in the game-I didn't try to match-up time lines) when yet another of our WR were pushed/held with no call.

devildeac
10-07-2017, 09:05 PM
have to place some responsibility on the QB. That wasn't Clemson's defense out there.

At one point it was 1 of 12 for -1 yard. At a later time it was 24 passes for 24 yards. :mad:

rsvman
10-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, the passing looked like what you would expect to see at an intramural game, not at a division 1 football game.

gep
10-07-2017, 10:31 PM
I saw only parts of the game... and a lot of the Miami game. Is it possible that the tentativeness of the DJ and the WR's too... is that the OL doesn't give DJ any kind of time to get into rhythm? And/or the WR's to get open? Not to blame the OL... but DJ continually looks like he's just worried and then rushed on every play. I read somewhere that the OL is good in run-blocking. But for pass-blocking, where they are not going forward, but essentially holding still or going backward, that is part of the problem...

CameronBlue
10-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, the passing looked like what you would expect to see at an intramural game, not at a division 1 football game.

The vast majority of the comments here are versions 2.0 of last week's comments which generally supported the conclusion that Duke's running game is a strength and its passing game is not. This week's result has only reinforced that conclusion. Apparently Cut doesn't see it that way which begs the question, "Why not?" Why is he committed to a game plan that features an inordinate number of forced passes to receivers on deep sideline routes? I don't know the answer to that question but I am beginning to dread the pistol/shotgun formation and the read/option only slightly less. Daniel is not making good decisions. I think he's a capable, accurate quarterback but if the sophistication of the option/read creates too many distractions for him, bad decisions and bad throws will likely follow. Maybe it's time ditch the read/option, line up over center and get rid of the "complexity" of the QB and running back dancing around in the backfield reminiscent of a Mexican hat dance. Go to a more traditional set, a one or two RB alignment and take advantage of Duke's power running game. Simplify the game for him and, at least for while, turn him into a more traditional pocket passer; he could still be a threat to run out of play-action fakes. The agony of watching plays take longer to develop than is required to cook a 3 minute egg would be a public service. Honestly I think a little less complexity might benefit him. If there is such a thing as a Sophomore jinx it might arise out of the assumption that as a player acquires experience, he's capable of more sophisticated offenses. Sounds good but at the moment Daniel is struggling and Cut/Roper don't seem willing to shift to a more run-oriented attack. That's almost shocking to type. Cut knows football, but as BG suggested, stubborness could be getting in the way. He seems to be committed to Daniel and this offense as Duke's principal weapon win or lose.

devildeac
10-07-2017, 10:55 PM
At least the pressure of the Heisman watch in Derm is over.

:rolleyes::(

aGDevil2k
10-07-2017, 11:48 PM
I saw only parts of the game... and a lot of the Miami game. Is it possible that the tentativeness of the DJ and the WR's too... is that the OL doesn't give DJ any kind of time to get into rhythm? And/or the WR's to get open? Not to blame the OL... but DJ continually looks like he's just worried and then rushed on every play. I read somewhere that the OL is good in run-blocking. But for pass-blocking, where they are not going forward, but essentially holding still or going backward, that is part of the problem...

Against Miami that could be valid - today, the OL did pretty well. I don't think we had a sack until the last series (when you CANT TAKE A SACK)

This game, outside of some early TJ and Taylor drops, was largely lost at the hands of Jones. He was that bad.

24 yards passing halfway thru the third. And under 100 yards until the last hurry-up series with a minute left

YmoBeThere
10-08-2017, 05:37 AM

Was it really anyone other than us staring at that mirror?

Bob Green
10-08-2017, 06:40 AM
I thought the holding call was atrocious...

I have to disagree with you as McDuffie clearly held the Virginia receiver when he was coming out of his break. There were a couple of questionable PI calls but the defensive holding was legit.

arnie
10-08-2017, 07:28 AM

c. Both a & b are true

Whatever? whichever?

This is the 1st year a Cut team at Duke has underperformed. Previous “disappointing” years were due to non-ACC level talent or abundance of injuries. Even Cut has said this team is quicker/faster than any he’s had at Duke and our injury list is minor.

I don’t know if it’s Roper, Jones or the receivers playing poorly (or a combination), but if we go 5-7 or 6-6 against a very easy OOC schedule, it seems Cut needs to make big changes next year. Duke is paying big $$$ to have a competitive program, and with that comes more accountability from the staff.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-08-2017, 07:46 AM
This is the 1st year a Cut team at Duke has underperformed. Previous “disappointing” years were due to non-ACC level talent or abundance of injuries. Even Cut has said this team is quicker/faster than any he’s had at Duke and our injury list is minor.

I don’t know if it’s Roper, Jones or the receivers playing poorly (or a combination), but if we go 5-7 or 6-6 against a very easy OOC schedule, it seems Cut needs to make big changes next year. Duke is paying big $$$ to have a competitive program, and with that comes more accountability from the staff.

Is this team under performing at 4-2? I thought most expectations I saw nationally had us middling around .500 with a shot at a bowl. I know we started out of the gate like gang busters, but how different will everything feel if a week from now we have beaten a very vulnerable FSU team at Duke to move to 5-2?

devildeac
10-08-2017, 08:25 AM
I have to disagree with you as McDuffie clearly held the Virginia receiver when he was coming out of his break. There were a couple of questionable PI calls but the defensive holding was legit.

No problem. Then I want to see the calls both ways as Bracey and Rahming were clearly held on several of their routes last week and then again yesterday, plus, there was yet another very late flag on us for holding after a UVA pass was overthrown by about 10 yards that kept their final touchdown drive alive, IIRC. :mad:

Once again, we're likely not going to win with <17 carries for Wilson and Brown and a 14 for 42 for ~124 yards showing, including multiple over/underthrows and drops, ineffective punting, but I expect much better consistency with the laundry-throwing. I also expect to win the Powerball sometime later this year, too.

Bob Green
10-08-2017, 08:36 AM
I know we started out of the gate like gang busters, but how different will everything feel if a week from now we have beaten a very vulnerable FSU team at Duke to move to 5-2?

FSU did not look "very vulnerable" yesterday giving Miami a battle to the end. I am optimistic our defensive line can hold their own in the trenches.

No problem. Then I want to see the calls both ways...

Please pass me those winning Powerball numbers. ;)

peteandpete
10-08-2017, 08:49 AM
In the first half, twice on third and eight and once on third and seven, we threw well short of the stick. And when are we going to start fielding punts? We had another chance to put some space between us and an opponent but failed. On UVa's final drive of the first half, it looked as if we got greedy on defense with blitzes and got burned as a result. And as much as I love a good passing game, we need to run more (inside and outside).

devildeac
10-08-2017, 10:14 AM
FSU did not look "very vulnerable" yesterday giving Miami a battle to the end. I am optimistic our defensive line can hold their own in the trenches.

Please pass me those winning Powerball numbers. ;)

Not quite sure what I'll choose this week but I know to avoid 31/6/28/21/14/42/124 or any combination thereof. :mad:

sagegrouse
10-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Free advice to various and sundry persona:

To Duke receivers -- Grab the damned ball!! It's yours!!

To the UVa game officials -- One legitimate pass interference call does not @#$!%$% mean that every subsequent contact between a Duke defender and a Cav receiver is pass interference or defensive holding!! The game is not about you!!!

To Daniel Jones -- Throw the ball away!!

Faison1
10-08-2017, 11:59 AM
The fielding of the punts "issue" is unbelievable to me. We are consistently taking 35 yard punts and turning them into 55 yard punts. What in the world?!?!

Kfanarmy
10-08-2017, 12:06 PM
At one point it was 1 of 12 for -1 yard. At a later time it was 24 passes for 24 yards. :mad:

Those are Army numbers... for a four game stretch, but still.

ChrisP
10-08-2017, 12:07 PM
The fielding of the punts "issue" is unbelievable to me. We are consistently taking 35 yard punts and turning them into 55 yard punts. What in the world?!?!

Totally agree. And here's something I don't get - why is TJ Rahming returning punts instead of Shaun Wilson? With the exception of the UNC game, I have seen every other Duke football game this year and don't recall TJ having any really good returns on punts. I guess Wilson is more of a kickoff returner (side note - why do so many teams use different guys for punts vs. kickoffs?) but still...he's been far more productive it seems to me than has Rahming. Maybe the performance in practice is just WAY different and the coaches are seeing something we're not, but I am unimpressed with Rahming's ability to both field and return punts.

AustinDevil
10-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Duke's receivers rarely fight to finish their routes, or fight for the ball in the air. It's been that way all year.

Tough to get in a comfort zone as a QB when you don't know whether your receivers are going to do their jobs.

Edit: not trying to put 100% of it on the receivers, because Jones certainly isn't perfect. But the WRs have been downright bad this year.

There is at least one receiver in particular who just seems to go through the motions almost half-heartedly rather than actually seem to want to fight for position and the catch. I don't understand why he seems to continue getting playing time, and pass attempts his way.

AustinDevil
10-08-2017, 12:11 PM
We just got home from Hooville and I'm starting to read this thread. I'm still pissed off and I don't think it'll get any better reading all the posts but I will and see if the general/overall/majority of posts here match my observations. :mad:

Thank you for going. From what we could tell on TV, there were almost no Duke fans there. Did it feel that way in the stadium? (I know the visitors section is often not prime, but I'm seriously talking about scanning for Duke Blue areas when they did shots of the whole stadium and I never could tell any evidence of Duke attendance.)

Also, am I correct that the band was not there? I hate that we don't send the band to *all* conference away games, but this one? It isn't even a flight or a very long drive.

AustinDevil
10-08-2017, 12:12 PM

I think Parker might have had one late punt yesterday that actually had UVa starting inside the 20? Other than that one, I do not believe he has had a single punt this year that resulted in the other team starting deeper than their own 20.

AustinDevil
10-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Totally agree. And here's something I don't get - why is TJ Rahming returning punts instead of Shaun Wilson? With the exception of the UNC game, I have seen every other Duke football game this year and don't recall TJ having any really good returns on punts. I guess Wilson is more of a kickoff returner (side note - why do so many teams use different guys for punts vs. kickoffs?) but still...he's been far more productive it seems to me than has Rahming. Maybe the performance in practice is just WAY different and the coaches are seeing something we're not, but I am unimpressed with Rahming's ability to both field and return punts.

To me, a lot of what went wrong on punt returns yesterday was on the coaches. Rahming was WAY out of position on almost every punt, sometimes too deep, sometimes too shallow. Yes, punters can vary in how well they hit a particular ball, but his positioning was way off every.single.time. That's crazy.

sagegrouse
10-08-2017, 12:26 PM
To me, a lot of what went wrong on punt returns yesterday was on the coaches. Rahming was WAY out of position on almost every punt, sometimes too deep, sometimes too shallow. Yes, punters can vary in how well they hit a particular ball, but his positioning was way off every.single.time. That's crazy.

Yes, it was crazy. I think T.J. is fielding punts rather than Shaun Wilson primarily because of the workload on Shaun, who is our leading rusher as well as our kick returner.

jimsumner
10-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Wilson looked very uncomfortable returning punts early this season. Very, very uncomfortable.

Rahming had two long returns earlier this season nullified by penalties, one a touchdown. The holding call on Saxton against NCCU was quite dubious.

Lots of things to criticize. But I agree with the coaches on this. Rahming gives Duke a better chance on punt returns.

CameronBornAndBred
10-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Wilson looked very uncomfortable returning punts early this season. Very, very uncomfortable.

Rahming had two long returns earlier this season nullified by penalties, one a touchdown. The holding call on Saxton against NCCU was quite dubious.

Lots of things to criticize. But I agree with the coaches on this. Rahming gives Duke a better chance on punt returns.

Only if he catches it. And only then if he runs with it. Some of those fair catches with not a body close to him leave me drinking my beer far faster than I plan to.

PDDuke85
10-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Another byproduct of such a lousy performance is the JV start time of noon next Saturday. That won't help the attendance woes (but neither will the stinker from yesterday)

jimsumner
10-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Only if he catches it. And only then if he runs with it. Some of those fair catches with not a body close to him leave me drinking my beer far faster than I plan to.

Wilson was the punt returner against Baylor. Baylor punted seven times. None of them were touchbacks. Wilson returned three of them for a total of minus 12 yards. He had 19 yards in two returns against North Carolina. Miami punted five times against Duke, none touchbacks and Duke returned none of them, with both Wilson and Rahming culprits.

Duke hasn't been especially good in the PR game since Jamison Crowder graduated. But I'd take Ryan Smith over anything we've seen this season.

I don't think Wilson is the answer. Rahming might be. Duke tried guys like Keyston Fuller and Myles Hudzick in the preseason. Perhaps time to give one of them an opportunity.

devildeac
10-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Thank you for going. From what we could tell on TV, there were almost no Duke fans there. Did it feel that way in the stadium? (I know the visitors section is often not prime, but I'm seriously talking about scanning for Duke Blue areas when they did shots of the whole stadium and I never could tell any evidence of Duke attendance.)

Also, am I correct that the band was not there? I hate that we don't send the band to *all* conference away games, but this one? It isn't even a flight or a very long drive.

You're welcome. It was a pleasant 3.5 hour trip from our driveway to the free parking lot at the JPJ Arena where Mrs dd and I had a mini-tailgate with our daughter (former cheerleader) and son-in-law (former football manager) on vacation from Chicago, followed by about a leisurely 25 minute walk to Scott Stadium. I'll guess there were 200-300 Duke fans there, all upstairs in Section 551. The cheerleaders made the journey but not the band. The walk back to the car and drive home were much less enjoyable. :(

Bob Green
10-08-2017, 02:50 PM
I do not think we are doing anything very good in the passing game. That would include everybody, starting with me.

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5459260.pdf

uh_no
10-08-2017, 03:22 PM
http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5459260.pdf

That's more of what I expect from Cut. I expect after two straight stinkers from that phase of the game, they'll go back to the drawing board on understanding what their players' limitations are, and how they can put them in a place to succeed.

If that means twice as much running, it might still be too little.

devildeac
10-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Younger son-in-law watched the presser/video and his summary based on what Cut said was the game turned at the ~3:52 mark at the end of 2Q when we went 3-n-out (completing one pass for -2 and then two incompletions), burning a stunning 0:45 (?) off the clock, up 14-7. :mad:

arnie
10-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Is this team under performing at 4-2? I thought most expectations I saw nationally had us middling around .500 with a shot at a bowl. I know we started out of the gate like gang busters, but how different will everything feel if a week from now we have beaten a very vulnerable FSU team at Duke to move to 5-2?

If we beat FSU, the season prognosis changes dramatically. Just don’t see it happening.

We have beaten 4 teams that collectively have 0 wins against Power 5 opponents. The holes may be the worst ACC team 😀, Baylor doesn’t have a win, NW has no significant wins and NCCU is simply overmatched against FBS opponents. Is we go 5-7 that will likely mean a 1-7 ACC record: 6-6; a 2-6 ACC. Im sure Cut believes we should beat some of our ACC opponents with similar talent.

I think there’s time to fix this; particularly if we remain healthy.

arnie
10-08-2017, 04:46 PM
You're welcome. It was a pleasant 3.5 hour trip from our driveway to the free parking lot at the JPJ Arena where Mrs dd and I had a mini-tailgate with our daughter (former cheerleader) and son-in-law (former football manager) on vacation from Chicago, followed by about a leisurely 25 minute walk to Scott Stadium. I'll guess there were 200-300 Duke fans there, all upstairs in Section 551. The cheerleaders made the journey but not the band. The walk back to the car and drive home were much less enjoyable. :(

There were also some fans in lower deck, below Section 551; but your Duke fan totals are probably close to accurate. I guess Duke doesn’t have the funds to bus the band to Charlottesville😞.

budwom
10-08-2017, 04:56 PM
There were also some fans in lower deck, below Section 551; but your Duke fan totals are probably close to accurate. I guess Duke doesn’t have the funds to bus the band to Charlottesville😞.

Indeed, $3.85 billion goes only so far.

CameronBlue
10-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Indeed, $3.85 billion goes only so far.

Blame grossbus.

DU82
10-08-2017, 09:39 PM

It was fall break, so give DUMB a break.

The Duke groups upstairs were in two sections, 511 and 516. Why they split us, Hoo knows. They are definitely (to me) the worst away team seats I’ve been in. Most teams put the primary visitor seats in the corner of the visiting team’s side, with additional tickets in upper decks (such as ND.). While there were a few Duke fans downstairs, I didn’t see a Duke section down where we used to be.

I think as a return gesture, for b-ball we put UVA fans in the seats featured in Uh No’s posts.

OZ
10-08-2017, 10:12 PM
There were also some fans in lower deck, below Section 551; but your Duke fan totals are probably close to accurate. I guess Duke doesn’t have the funds to bus the band to Charlottesville��.

Do college bands regularly attend away games? I don't recall - other than Central - any opposing team bands at Wally this year.

dukie’s_daughter
10-08-2017, 10:32 PM
I can't speak to what bands 'usually' do, but UVA brought at least a pep band to DUKE last year.

Tappan Zee Devil
10-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Do college bands regularly attend away games? I don't recall - other than Central - any opposing team bands at Wally this year.

Can't speak for today - but waaaay back in the day (~50 years ago) when I was in DUMB, we went to all of the games in North Carolina and one other away game (in my four years it was to Army, Navy and twice to Georgia Tech.

Sixthman
10-09-2017, 12:01 AM
I can't speak to what bands 'usually' do, but UVA brought at least a pep band to DUKE last year.

No one takes the full band to all away games. I don't know if this had any impact on UVA, but it is fall break for Duke students.

budwom
10-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Crotchety Geezer comment: for all the tuition paid for schools these days, students sure do get a lot of vacations...start school in late August, already tuckered by out by early October?

sagegrouse
10-09-2017, 08:56 AM
Can't speak for today - but waaaay back in the day (~50 years ago) when I was in DUMB, we went to all of the games in North Carolina and one other away game (in my four years it was to Army, Navy and twice to Georgia Tech.

My freshman year the band took a road trip to Michigan State -- I don't know where else -- although Grossbus will.

FerryFor50
10-09-2017, 10:55 AM
That's more of what I expect from Cut. I expect after two straight stinkers from that phase of the game, they'll go back to the drawing board on understanding what their players' limitations are, and how they can put them in a place to succeed.

If that means twice as much running, it might still be too little.

I believe it starts with reducing the amount of deep balls Jones is throwing. He hasn't shown great accuracy on them, and they're taking too many chances down field, as if they're being too impatient on offense. He doesn't have the blocking he needs to set his feet right and give him the time he needs to make good decisions on those slow developing plays.

They need to exploit more underneath throws with Rahming, who is shifty. Maybe even bring back the dreaded bubble screens they used to run with Crowder all the time. Attack the middle more. Get quicker throws.

Avvocato
10-09-2017, 10:55 AM

c. Both a & b are true

Whatever? whichever?

I'm a Jones supporter and believe in him, but he has not played well (duh statement). I think the offensive line has to have something to do with this, particularly the offensive tackles in pass protection. What was great about Jones last year is that he made quick, decisive decisions with the ball. When he dropped back, the ball was out of his hands quickly. He also didn't appear to lock on to receivers. He spread it around, basically to the open guy. He seemed to understand the offense, understand where the wholes in the defense should be, who should be open, etc. He seems much more hesitant and unsure of himself when he's releasing the ball, holding on to it longer at times, and I think this indecisiveness is making him inaccurate. Maybe poor offensive line play, or even lack of confidence in his pass protection, is causing him to misfire on passes. One poster above commented that the offensive line protected well agai, because we didn't give up a sack until the end of the game. I had to watch part of the first half on a phone and missed parts of the first half. With that said, the sack total is not always indicative of how well the line is protecting. Jones could be flushed out of the pocket, forced into errant throws, forced into poor decisions, forced to throw the short safety valve passes, etc. Our passing struggles dumbfound me, because we should be very effective. Jones has not played well at all (and he cannot take those sacks at the end of the game - no excuses), and there are a lot of issues with our passing attack, but if I had to guess, I think the problem probably starts with the line.

I think without a doubt the offensive play calling has not helped the offense. As we all know, we have run the ball effectively and should continue to feature our running backs. With that said, you can't overreact and just stop throwing the ball and being aggressive. You have to throw the ball downfield and look to make plays. However, you have to be smarter with the play calling. You also have to have your pulse on the team. It's not rocket science. If you are struggling throwing but running effectively, run to set up the pass. Control the clock, get into short third down situations, and then use play action, etc. The receivers also are not blameless here, but our group is pretty similar to last year's. I can't imagine our ineffective passing game is primarily a result of the wide receivers. They're not helping, but my gut tells me that's not the primary issue here.

In any case, we need to figure this out. The road doesn't get much easier. We have to help our defense out by controlling clock and scoring points. On the bright side, I would have signed up for 4-2 at the halfway point in a heartbeat. Losing streaks have a way of snowballing. I have no doubt that Coach Cut will have the guys ready to play against FSU. However, the coaches have acted like there wasn't a problem with the passing game, but now they at least appear to be acknowledging it (hard not to). Let's hope they work on a scheme to address it. While I expect a struggle offensively against FSU (because FSU's defense is really good), I expect us to (or is it that I'm praying that we) play well. Either way, let's go shock the Seminoles. Let's go Duke.

P.S.

One more point. How do you bring in your back-up quarterback for what has to be a running play and then get a delay of game penalty. Another inexcusable miscue.

devildeac
10-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Pressure for the 2017 Biletnikoff Award Pre-Season Watch List is also over in Derm. :rolleyes:

Indoor66
10-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Biletnikoff Award

I believe that is called The Jangle Joints Award. :D:cool:

sagegrouse
10-09-2017, 12:36 PM
From the Joe Giles-Harris thread:

Ten of Giles-Harris’ game-high tackle total resulted in three yards or less while six yielded no gain or negative yardage as Duke limited the Cavaliers to 310 yards of total offense – 123.5 yards below their season average entering the week. The double digit tackle outing marked the second of the year for Giles-Harris and the seventh of his career.
This loss wasn't on the defense, was it?

devildeac
10-09-2017, 12:43 PM

General (overwhelming?) consensus appears to be not on the D. They spent waaaaay too much time on the field (35-36 minutes, IIRC).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Our defense held them to 14. It is unfortunate that our offense also offered them another 14.