PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode #85: Emergency Adidas Scandal Reaction

Dev11
09-28-2017, 02:46 PM
We got ourselves all riled up to talk about the scandal and what it means for Louisville, college basketball, and maybe Duke. We also got into an urgent football uniform aesthetics argument that Donald definitely lost, and we have a new sponsor! If you want to sponsor a show, email us at dbrpodcast@gmail.com.

Links:
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

0:00 Thanks to the Dukies of Byrd Campbell for loving the podcast!

0:40 Donald intros our discussion about the huge Adidas scandal and learns that Jason has A LOT TO SAY about all this

3:50 We start with the obvious, Rick Pitino’s career is over… or is it?

5:15 Jason says Pitino won’t be the only guy fired over this, and points out the difference in a NCAA investigation and one led by the FBI

11:40 Jason explains the two different aspects of the scandal, the Adidas side and the agent/financial planner side

17:40 We get into the Auburn part of the scandal and Sam equates each school to a mafia family

21:00 Donald brings up the question as to whether fired coaches will be able to move into pro coaching

24:20 Jason wonders what other programs aside from Louisville have been using Adidas to pay recruits

28:10 We hear what a former sports agent/financial planner thinks about all this

32:00 Donald says none of this should be even a mild surprise to folks who pay attention to the way the AAU basketball world works

37:10 Sam brings up a scary thought… could Duke get enveloped in all this?

42:20 We talk a bit about Jay Williams admitting that he was offered money by other programs before he committed to Duke back in 1999

49:00 Jason looks to the past and the future, and wonders if this could lead to important reforms that fix some of the problems with college and pro hoops

54:35 Thanks to the Dukies at ByrdCampbell.com for sponsoring today’s podcast!

55:25 Donald wants to talk about the football uniforms. He loves em… Sam and Jason, not so much!

1:05:45 Good bye and Duke band

blazindw
09-28-2017, 03:05 PM
Here is the uniform that will be worn tomorrow night:

I think this is really fresh and as far as alternate jerseys go, really sharp and allowing the Duke Blue to pop.

Look good, feel good, play good, win good!

JasonEvans
09-28-2017, 03:08 PM

I think this is really fresh and as far as alternate jerseys go, really sharp and allowing the Duke Blue to pop.

http://weknowyourdreams.com/images/grey/grey-04.jpg

This is not a Duke color.

LasVegas
09-28-2017, 03:12 PM

All I can say is……yikes. Although, the old school devil is awesome. Much better than the current design. IMO

flyingdutchdevil
09-28-2017, 03:24 PM

Woah. They look awesome. Sign me up!

For a program that doesn't have the fan bases of other ACC public schools and, especially, SEC schools, innovative uniforms is one way to get noticed. Sure, not the optimal way. But one way nonetheless.

BandAlum83
09-28-2017, 03:48 PM

Perhaps with Photoshop or something you can circle the Duke Blue???

WillJ
09-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Great discussion. Thank you.

weezie
09-28-2017, 05:14 PM
All I can say is……yikes. Although, the old school devil is awesome. Much better than the current design. IMO

Old Devil is sweet.

There are several Old Devils here, too.

UrinalCake
09-28-2017, 06:31 PM

Nice of them to label all the parts for us. I was just wondering where the helmet was 8-)

mattman91
09-28-2017, 09:14 PM
http://weknowyourdreams.com/images/grey/grey-04.jpg

This is not a Duke color.

Get off Jason's Lawn!

BLPOG
09-28-2017, 11:16 PM
Excellent discussion and also (if I'm not mistaken) excellent shout-out to the worst-ever example of the use of a non-Duke color at the end.

I remember watching that game on TV (last semester of high school for me) and I was absolutely irate from tip-off until the end of the first half. I had never been so upset at the Crazies (well, I'm not sure I ever had been upset with them before anyway, but you get the idea).

What I saw when they brought the broadcast back to Cameron just before the second half reversed that sentiment, naturally.

I never got over my distaste for the shirts though. Every time I saw someone wearing one on campus it just reminded me of the sacrilege during the first half.

JasonEvans
09-29-2017, 11:19 AM
Excellent discussion and also (if I'm not mistaken) excellent shout-out to the worst-ever example of the use of a non-Duke color at the end.

I remember watching that game on TV (last semester of high school for me) and I was absolutely irate from tip-off until the end of the first half. I had never been so upset at the Crazies (well, I'm not sure I ever had been upset with them before anyway, but you get the idea).

What I saw when they brought the broadcast back to Cameron just before the second half reversed that sentiment, naturally.

I never got over my distaste for the shirts though. Every time I saw someone wearing one on campus it just reminded me of the sacrilege during the first half.

For those who do not know, BLPOG is talking about the infamous Earth Day Green T Shirt basketball game at Cameron versus NC State in 2008. Since I had kids 20 years ago, I don't get to all that many Duke games but I happened to be at this one. Before the game, students were handing out "Go Duke, Go Green" T-shirts in honor of Earth Day. The T-shirts were green and everyone was wearing them. My son and I got one and put them on.

At halftime, Duke was losing to NC State by 9 even though the Devils were huge favorites. As I walked around Carmeron at the half, the trash bins were full of the green t-shirts. I could see students burning the t-shirts outside of Cameron. As the second half began, you could not see a single green Tshirt in the stands. Duke blitzed the Wolfies in the second half and ended up winning the game by like 20 points.

-Jason "so, if you think it is cool for the football team to wear some color other than Blue and White, you are wrong!!!" Evans
http://www.stephenvilleprimary.k12.nf.ca/colormatters.jpg

flyingdutchdevil
09-29-2017, 01:41 PM
For those who do not know, BLPOG is talking about the infamous Earth Day Green T Shirt basketball game at Cameron versus NC State in 2008. Since I had kids 20 years ago, I don't get to all that many Duke games but I happened to be at this one. Before the game, students were handing out "Go Duke, Go Green" T-shirts in honor of Earth Day. The T-shirts were green and everyone was wearing them. My son and I got one and put them on.

At halftime, Duke was losing to NC State by 9 even though the Devils were huge favorites. As I walked around Carmeron at the half, the trash bins were full of the green t-shirts. I could see students burning the t-shirts outside of Cameron. As the second half began, you could not see a single green Tshirt in the stands. Duke blitzed the Wolfies in the second half and ended up winning the game by like 20 points.

-Jason "so, if you think it is cool for the football team to wear some color other than Blue and White, you are wrong!!!" Evans
http://www.stephenvilleprimary.k12.nf.ca/colormatters.jpg

Not cool Jason. I respect all colors.

BLPOG
09-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Not cool Jason. I respect all colors.

Even Pantone 278? (apparently 542 now, actually)

PSurprise
09-29-2017, 01:56 PM

Good thing they pointed out the parts of the uniform. I mean, it looked like a helmet, but I wasn't sure until I looked at the label.

cspan37421
09-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Numbers and gloves appear to be Detroit Lions' Honolulu blue.

With their, um, remarkable history over the last 60 years, what could go wrong?