PDA

View Full Version : Duke Basketball -- Now Until CTC

Henderson
09-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Let's bring it home. We all love Duke Football, await the NCAA's decision on the cheaters, love all Duke sports, and are enthralled by the latest non-Duke scandals.

But this forum has a focus, reflected in its title.

Any word on how the summer is going for our men's and women's basketball teams? Reports from summer workouts? Intel or juicy tidbits? Plans for CTC attendance?

jimsumner
09-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Let's bring it home. We all love Duke Football, await the NCAA's decision on the cheaters, love all Duke sports, and are enthralled by the latest non-Duke scandals.

Any word on how the summer is going for our men's and women's basketball teams? Reports from summer workouts? Intel or juicy tidbits? Plans for CTC attendance?

K has a press conference scheduled next Tuesday.

FWIW.

slower
09-27-2017, 06:05 PM

Thank you. Everything else is just noise.

elvis14
09-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Thank you. Everything else is just noise.

One mans noise is another mans music. Since there are people here that actually see and hear things from the team, I'm looking forward to their noise!

tfk53
09-28-2017, 10:14 PM

This Saturday, the Emily K Foundation is doing an annual fundraiser where contributors get to see a practice and then enjoy a lunch with Coach K as speaker. I did this a couple years ago in fall of 2014 (I did post a link here to pictures I had taken) and had a tremendous time. I have heard about this event since being on the Emily K email list.

http://www.emilyk.org

So, I will be in Cameron early Saturday morn to see the practice, eat lunch, and hear Coach K and help out the Emily K Foundation that does wonderful things for the youth of Durham - yes, it is a shameless plug! What a glorious way to spend a day. No, I am not employed by Emily K but just very impressed with the work that they do.

This is happening very early this year so I suspect this may be the first practice of the season (or close to it). Not sure what I will learn or see but will report as I can.

Newton_14
09-28-2017, 10:44 PM

Bagley is a beast buddy. A freaking beast. Learn his name quickly. I took my daughter to the Hurricane Irma fundraiser for Houston, set up by our main man Justise Winslow (my favorite one and done of all time). All our guys were down on the floor playing knockout with the kids and other fans. Bagley made a huge impression on me, as did Duval. Duval's ball handling skills are super freaky and the kid can jump. He blocked a teammates follow up shot after missing the free throw, from behind and slammed it off the backboard. Impressive. His ball handling stood out the most to me though as a couple of times he put them on display while horsing around. Bagley is big, powerful, and graceful. Those two mixed in with Grayson will be a pure joy to watch.

This Saturday, the Emily K Foundation is doing an annual fundraiser where contributors get to see a practice and then enjoy a lunch with Coach K as speaker. I did this a couple years ago in fall of 2014 (I did post a link here to pictures I had taken) and had a tremendous time. I have heard about this event since being on the Emily K email list.

http://www.emilyk.org

So, I will be in Cameron early Saturday morn to see the practice, eat lunch, and hear Coach K and help out the Emily K Foundation that does wonderful things for the youth of Durham - yes, it is a shameless plug! What a glorious way to spend a day. No, I am not employed by Emily K but just very impressed with the work that they do.

This is happening very early this year so I suspect this may be the first practice of the season (or close to it). Not sure what I will learn or see but will report as I can.

I went last year and it was a wonderful experience. A helpful tip. Get there early and try to be as close to the front as possible in the line that forms On ThE INSIDE AFTER you are allowed inside from the outside. Once inside the building you will have to go sign in. Then the line at the door where you enter the actual gym forms. Be as close to the front as possible. Go sit on the bottom row at the far right of the scorers table. Best seat in the house for the practice. Also you can carry anything in that you want. Backpack, bag, drink, whatever. They don't prohibit any items of that nature.
Everyone will sit in the lower bowl on the TV Side. The Cameron Crazies section bleachers will not be pulled out. They use that space for practice. Fair warning: Please do not leave your seat to go walk around on the floor or you will get the wrath of K. Last year some poor soul brought a professional type camera, got up during the middle of the practice and walked over to the Crazies side of the floor amongst players and everything and started snapping photo's of the action on the floor. K was quite unhappy and quickly sent Debbie K to go get the guy back into his seat. Really bad move on his part.

You will enjoy the practice and K will often grab a mike and explain what they are doing to the crowd. There will be drills, halfcourt offense and/or defense controlled scrimmages, as well as full court. Don't get overly excited at who's wearing white jerseys the first time they scrimmage. It won't mean a thing in terms of projected starters. They will end the practice with the full court drill where they put 1:04 on the clock and go 3 on 2 one way where all 3 take a jumpshot (Coaches on the end line will make passes from the endline for the two guys coming down that dont have the ball and they take jumpshots off the passes), then it's 3 on none back the other way with the same thing, all 3 guys taking a shot. Each shot no matter the distance counts as 1 point and they have to score 120 points within the 1:04 or it doesn't count and they have to do it again.

After the practice you will go up to the dining hall and have lunch. K will come up and give a speech, and then at the end will sign one item and take one photo with each attendee. Very fun event. I would encourage everyone to attend at least one time if they can.

I look forward to reading your write up so take lots of notes!:D

slower
09-29-2017, 05:46 AM
One mans noise is another mans music. Since there are people here that actually see and hear things from the team, I'm looking forward to their noise!

Since you apparently didn't understand my comment, I meant that everything besides Duke Basketball is noise.

elvis14
09-29-2017, 07:01 AM
Since you apparently didn't understand my comment, I meant that everything besides Duke Basketball is noise.

Yeah, I misunderstood your comment. Sorry about that. Maybe we should change my username to 'slower'.

slower
09-29-2017, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I misunderstood your comment. Sorry about that. Maybe we should change my username to 'slower'.

We can discuss a trade. But I'm gonna want some draft picks. :p

flyingdutchdevil
09-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Bagley is a beast buddy. A freaking beast. Learn his name quickly. I took my daughter to the Hurricane Irma fundraiser for Houston, set up by our main man Justise Winslow (my favorite one and done of all time). All our guys were down on the floor playing knockout with the kids and other fans. Bagley made a huge impression on me, as did Duval. Duval's ball handling skills are super freaky and the kid can jump. He blocked a teammates follow up shot after missing the free throw, from behind and slammed it off the backboard. Impressive. His ball handling stood out the most to me though as a couple of times he put them on display while horsing around. Bagley is big, powerful, and graceful. Those two mixed in with Grayson will be a pure joy to watch.

This team kinda reminds me of the Clips over the last few seasons: immensely talented PG, competent bigs, lots and lots of alley oops and secondary chances, insane athleticism, limited 3pt shooting, depth quesiton marks. I mean, Duval is no CP3 and can't shoot like CP3, but he's an elite PG in the college game. And college Grayson - compared to his college peers - is a much more talented player than JJ (compared to his NBA peers).

atoomer0881
09-29-2017, 11:30 AM
This team kinda reminds me of the Clips over the last few seasons: immensely talented PG, competent bigs, lots and lots of alley oops and secondary chances, insane athleticism, limited 3pt shooting, depth quesiton marks. I mean, Duval is no CP3 and can't shoot like CP3, but he's an elite PG in the college game. And college Grayson - compared to his college peers - is a much more talented player than JJ (compared to his NBA peers).

Except the Clips haven't ever been able to get past the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. So hopefully the similarities between our teams don't include postseason success (or lack thereof) haha

flyingdutchdevil
09-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Except the Clips haven't ever been able to get past the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. So hopefully the similarities between our teams don't include postseason success (or lack thereof) haha

But there isn't a Houston, Dubs, Spurs, or Jazz equivalent in college ball. Plus we can all agree that Coach K > Rivers. I like my analogy. And I have faith in Coach K to lead this team past the second round.

atoomer0881
09-29-2017, 11:55 AM
But there isn't a Houston, Dubs, Spurs, or Jazz equivalent in college ball. Plus we can all agree that Coach K > Rivers. I like my analogy. And I have faith in Coach K to lead this team past the second round.

Hahah I liked your analogy too. I was just saying I hope we have tremendous postseason success this year, and like you said with Coach K at the helm, I think it's definitely doable

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2017, 12:03 PM
For those of us who don't have the information directly in front of us, could we perhaps amend the thread title to include the date/time of CTC?

sagegrouse
09-29-2017, 01:45 PM
For those of us who don't have the information directly in front of us, could we perhaps amend the thread title to include the date/time of CTC?

Yep. I had to look it up -- Friday, October 20 at 7PM ET.

Kindly,
Sage

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Yep. I had to look it up -- Friday, October 20 at 7PM ET.

Kindly,
Sage

Ah... the first moments of my week and a half vacation. Looks like a lovely way to start.

flyingdutchdevil
09-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Ah... the first moments of my week and a half vacation. Looks like a lovely way to start.

You can have tingly feelings to start your vacay when a role player like Javin or Tucker goes off for 15 and 6 and DBR has the reshuffle their minute estimates.

Henderson
09-29-2017, 03:12 PM

I went last year and it was a wonderful experience. A helpful tip. Get there early and try to be as close to the front as possible in the line that forms On ThE INSIDE AFTER you are allowed inside from the outside. Once inside the building you will have to go sign in. Then the line at the door where you enter the actual gym forms. Be as close to the front as possible. Go sit on the bottom row at the far right of the scorers table. Best seat in the house for the practice. Also you can carry anything in that you want. Backpack, bag, drink, whatever. They don't prohibit any items of that nature.
Everyone will sit in the lower bowl on the TV Side. The Cameron Crazies section bleachers will not be pulled out. They use that space for practice. Fair warning: Please do not leave your seat to go walk around on the floor or you will get the wrath of K. Last year some poor soul brought a professional type camera, got up during the middle of the practice and walked over to the Crazies side of the floor amongst players and everything and started snapping photo's of the action on the floor. K was quite unhappy and quickly sent Debbie K to go get the guy back into his seat. Really bad move on his part.

You will enjoy the practice and K will often grab a mike and explain what they are doing to the crowd. There will be drills, halfcourt offense and/or defense controlled scrimmages, as well as full court. Don't get overly excited at who's wearing white jerseys the first time they scrimmage. It won't mean a thing in terms of projected starters. They will end the practice with the full court drill where they put 1:04 on the clock and go 3 on 2 one way where all 3 take a jumpshot (Coaches on the end line will make passes from the endline for the two guys coming down that dont have the ball and they take jumpshots off the passes), then it's 3 on none back the other way with the same thing, all 3 guys taking a shot. Each shot no matter the distance counts as 1 point and they have to score 120 points within the 1:04 or it doesn't count and they have to do it again.

After the practice you will go up to the dining hall and have lunch. K will come up and give a speech, and then at the end will sign one item and take one photo with each attendee. Very fun event. I would encourage everyone to attend at least one time if they can.

Mark, that's a great write-up from beginning to end. Thanks for the info and for taking the time.

Henderson
09-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Maybe we should change my username to 'slower'.

We can discuss a trade. But I'm gonna want some draft picks. :p

I was just talking to Elvis on Tuesday at [undisclosed Vegas eatery] during his shift change, and he did seem a little slower. But at 82, we all get slower.

mattman91
09-29-2017, 05:21 PM

I'm taking the 20th - 27th off. You planning on going to CTC?

tfk53
09-29-2017, 05:23 PM

Thank you much for the input, Newton_14! I took pictures from my spot in the stands - just to the right of scorer's table is indeed best spot as I sat there in 2014, right behind Bilas and Dennard. Camera I used would be considered a professional type altho there is no confusing me with a professional photographer. Didn't have any issue - hoping that remains the same tomorrow.

I need to make sure I have my player numbers down pat for all the new players this year. Hoping that football will win tonight so that energy will still be lingering in Cameron.

Indoor66
09-29-2017, 05:29 PM

I've been taking 1 - 365 off for years. ☕😂😎

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2017, 05:45 PM

Afraid not. I will be packing my truck for Ocracoke.

JNort
09-29-2017, 10:18 PM
Anyone remember this jewel from CTC several years back.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jlCIRXVJkv4

Furniture
09-30-2017, 09:46 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/913574696054083584/video/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/913906275817320449/video/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/913841096572141569/video/1

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2017, 10:50 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/913574696054083584/video/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/913906275817320449/video/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/913841096572141569/video/1

Wow... Bagley is a physical specimen.

ricks68
09-30-2017, 11:49 AM

We need to meet up somehow, as I will be there with Ms Ricks and youngest daughter. Also staying for FB game.

ricks

Newton_14
09-30-2017, 12:10 PM
Wow... Bagley is a physical specimen. You can say that again buddy. And again. And again. Uber excited to watch him play.

MrPoon
09-30-2017, 01:46 PM
If my willpower has any influence on this season, Grayson is in for a big year. I want it so bad for this kid to just soar after ... everything last year.

Troublemaker
09-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Here's about 2.5 minutes of Periscope footage from today's practice, courtesy of "matt4duke2001": https://www.pscp.tv/matt4duke2001/1zqKVRPOgvdKB

The white jerseys on the court were: Trevon, Grayson, Marvin, Wendell, and Marques. So, the much talked about big lineup.

White jerseys on the sidelines were Gary and Javin. That might be the top-7 at this point.

Billy Dat
09-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Here's about 2.5 minutes of Periscope footage from today's practice, courtesy of "matt4duke2001": https://www.pscp.tv/matt4duke2001/1zqKVRPOgvdKB

The white jerseys on the court were: Trevon, Grayson, Marvin, Wendell, and Marques. So, the much talked about big lineup.

White jerseys on the sidelines were Gary and Javin. That might be the top-7 at this point.

I could have watched an hour of this scrimmage...love K riding the white team bigs on not crashing the boards on the FT. Didn't love Bagley missing the FT. Is that Goldwire with the interesting highlights in his hair?

tfk53
09-30-2017, 09:56 PM

I also had the privilege of seeing today's practice. I think i was just a few spots away from Troublemaker's vantage point. Pretty impressed with the team at the practice today considering only 2nd day of allowed practices - plus they had done their last pre-season 2 hours a week on Thursday so this was basically their 3rd 2 hour practice in a row. Took a bunch of pictures - will see how they came out and see if I can link to them

Lots of rough edges as expected. K got on them multiple times for not communicating. At luncheon, he stated he would likely have sent a couple players out of practice due to that lack of talking. With such a young team, communication - altho always very important to him - is even more important to get them all on the same page. Practice went off like a well oiled machine with each segment timed, as usual, to the minute. he also stated that they had adjusted their conditioning and training program a lot and so far, no injuries. Far cry from how last season started.

Looked like the above mentioned seven by Troublemaker are at the top presently. Had 3 bigs on the floor for one team a lot.
Coach K singled out GA and Bagley for their high motors that ran constantly through the practice and how the others need to learn to get to that level. Had nice things to say about O'Connell's play as well DeLaurier (also a high motor guy).

Just a few thoughts.
Grayson looks completely healthy. K said he broke J Will's record in the shuttle run during fall workouts. GA hit a number of 3's, hustled after balls going out of bounds, and had some amazing slams. I don't think he ever took much a break during the practice and scrimmage.
Duval was fun to watch - went to the basket whenever he wanted, but missed a number of 3's. Did not keep track of number but looked like his percentage was less than GA's. Considering this was his 3rd practice, his upside is tremendous -nothing new there.
Bagley is a horse - looks the way Winslow did as a freshman - muscles beyond his years. Moved very well. Lots of physical play against Carter and Bolden which he handled pretty well.
Trent did not not stand out much - hit some threes but am having hard time remembering anything really memorable.
Carter had some nice moves around the basket - I think he and Trent as well as some others were getting pretty tired by the end of practice.
Bolden bodied up underneath against the other bigs well - lots of battling go on. Practice will not be a cakewalk for these guys each day, going up against each other.
O'Connell has just as pretty of a stroke as you can find. Rarely missed a 3 in warmups. Hit a couple during the scrimmage. Runs court very well and seemed to be in the right place several times so appears his court sense is good. However, he is pretty slender. Runs the court well. He ran the point a few times - does not look like that will be in his job description come regular season for awhile.
Tucker seemed smaller than I expected - more 6'6''or7" and also slender. Nice outside shot and hustled well.
Vrankovic moved well and hustled throughout practice. Set some incredibly solid screens. Looked fairly comfortable out there.
White has built himself a pretty stacked body, using his strength to complete plays at times. Fun to watch.

Duke is young but with super high level potential - will be a blast to watch and cheer for this year.
All in all, a tremendous way to spend a Saturday, Highly recommend to all who have not done this with Emily K Foundation in the past.

Furniture
10-01-2017, 09:24 PM
https://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-Basketball-practice-videos-108278019/Amp

was that Javin with a three?

Kedsy
10-01-2017, 09:31 PM

was that Javin with a three?

It's a lot easier when nobody's guarding you.

Furniture
10-01-2017, 10:39 PM
It's a lot easier when nobody's guarding you.

Come on Kedsy. Glass half full please!!

elvis14
10-02-2017, 07:09 AM

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Furniture again.

Tried to spork Furniture again, couldn't. With this team the glass is at least 3/4 full!

UrinalCake
10-02-2017, 10:12 AM

Serious question here - could someone explain the purpose of the drill being shown in the video? It looks to me like they're just running back and forth and dunking on an empty net.

flyingdutchdevil
10-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Serious question here - could someone explain the purpose of the drill being shown in the video? It looks to me like they're just running back and forth and dunking on an empty net.

Build confidence :p

Henderson
10-02-2017, 10:18 AM

Conditioning, spacing, attitude, communication training, public practice not to show any secrets, first week of practice... I'm guessing the staff was purposeful in whatever went on. They've been at it for a while.

kmspeaks
10-02-2017, 10:31 AM

It looks to me like they're working on some different things in transition - getting the ball up the floor quickly, spacing, drag screens, etc.

Kedsy
10-02-2017, 11:45 AM

OK. I've been in the Javin-at-SF camp (or possibly Marvin-at-SF-while-Javin-plays-PF) for awhile. In high school Javin shot a pretty high percentage (on a not-insignificant number of attempts) at three-pointers. It remains to be seen whether he can do it at the high-major college level. I'm hopeful but not necessarily confident. Seeing him shoot an unguarded three in practice did nothing, either way, to affect my assessment.

Glass half full enough?

Billy Dat
10-02-2017, 12:28 PM
The Athletic college basketball feed launched today and Seth Davis has a longish piece on Grayson ($)
https://theathletic.com/115181/2017/10/02/why-grayson-allen-came-back-for-more/

Of X & O interest, K says Grayson is one of the most gifted shooters he's ever coached and wants him shooting tons of 3s this year and not driving as much.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-02-2017, 12:41 PM
The Athletic college basketball feed launched today and Seth Davis has a longish piece on Grayson ($)
https://theathletic.com/115181/2017/10/02/why-grayson-allen-came-back-for-more/

Of X & O interest, K says Grayson is one of the most gifted shooters he's ever coached and wants him shooting tons of 3s this year and not driving as much.

Sounds like a recipe for better health and an indicator that we might have other guys capable of scoring inside.

UrinalCake
10-02-2017, 01:08 PM
OK. I've been in the Javin-at-SF camp (or possibly Marvin-at-SF-while-Javin-plays-PF) for awhile

Javin at the 3 makes more sense to me than Bagley, based on seeing him play however sparingly last season, and the fact that Bagley is bigger/stronger and supposedly an excellent rim protector and rebounder. Seems like we'd want to maximize Bagley's talent by keeping him closer to the basket.

Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding the practice video. So much that goes on is totally over my head 8-)

Kedsy
10-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Javin at the 3 makes more sense to me than Bagley, based on seeing him play however sparingly last season, and the fact that Bagley is bigger/stronger and supposedly an excellent rim protector and rebounder. Seems like we'd want to maximize Bagley's talent by keeping him closer to the basket.

Yeah, I agree with you on defense. Not sure on offense. In other words it's possible while Javin is in that Marvin plays closer to the basket on D but more on the wing on O. Also, when we talk about Javin playing SF, I assume it would be as 7th man subbing in when one of our three primary perimeter players (Grayson, Trevon, Gary) sub out, for maybe 10 or so minutes a game. And also assuming that Javin beats out Jordan T, Alex, and Jack for the 7th man minutes. Of course, if Marvin is capable of defending SFs, it could be that we sometimes use the three big lineup of Wendell/Marques/Marvin when a perimeter guy subs out. Lots of unknowns in this particular situation.

jimsumner
10-02-2017, 02:05 PM

All of my best dunks were on an empty net.

Eight feet off the ground.

Kedsy
10-02-2017, 02:11 PM

This makes a lot of sense when you factor in our relative lack of shooting in the likely rotation.

FWIW, since Coach K came back in 1996 from his missed season, three-pointers have been at least 30% of Duke's shots in every season except 2007 (and that was 29.6%). Last season, Duke averaged 22 three-point attempts per game (38.3% of our shots). Even if that dropped to 30%, it would have been 17+ three-point attempts per game.

Those 22 three-attempts were primarily hoisted by five guys who all took more than 3.5 long-distance shots per game. Looking at this year's team it's hard to see more than three guys with 3.5 or more, and Trevon and Gary will probably be on the low side of that range, or maybe even below. Among Jordan T/Alex/Jack/Marvin/Javin, in aggregate we might get another two to four a game.

Last season Grayson averaged 6.5 three-point attempts per game. This season, I could easily see him putting up 8 or more three-attempts per game. For comparison's sake, in JJ Redick's junior and senior seasons, he averaged 9+ attempts per game.

Furniture
10-02-2017, 08:11 PM
http://dukereport.com/audio-video/watch-duke-big-man-marvin-bagley-iii-is-on-his-way-to-superstardom-dukeofhoops/amp/

Furniture
10-02-2017, 11:53 PM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7678&stc=1

Unfortuneatly I'll be working.

atoomer0881
10-03-2017, 10:02 AM
http://dukereport.com/audio-video/watch-duke-big-man-marvin-bagley-iii-is-on-his-way-to-superstardom-dukeofhoops/amp/

To go along with that video, here's the article (http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/college/marvin-bagley-duke-feature/#r8DOeZlBz6I50l3E.97) on SLAM on MBIII. Really good read. I really liked the part explaining why he's moved around between so many teams before.

brlftz
10-03-2017, 11:55 AM
To go along with that video, here's the article (http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/college/marvin-bagley-duke-feature/#r8DOeZlBz6I50l3E.97) on SLAM on MBIII. Really good read. I really liked the part explaining why he's moved around between so many teams before.

Thanks for the link, that was interesting. He moved around looking for teams that were willing to accommodate his development plan rather than use him in a way that purely maximized chances of victory. Pretty smart, really, given his long term goals, but I wonder if it's going to be hard to shift his mindset if he's called upon to play within a team concept that asks him to embrace a specific role. He certainly sounds ready to do that.

Troublemaker
10-03-2017, 02:00 PM
The Chronicle has posted Coach K's presser on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/dukechronicle/videos/10155740515714289/

Haven't watched it so don't know if they captured the whole thing.

UrinalCake
10-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Also available on WRAL (there's about 16:40 of silence at the beginning of the video, unless they've fixed it)

link (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/16990973/)

jimsumner
10-03-2017, 02:27 PM
K confirmed today that Duke will try some "big" lineups, with three of Bagley, Carter, Bolden, DeLaurier or Vrankovic on the court at the same time.

Said the team was healthy, although DeLaurier had been bothered with a sore hamstring and wouldn't practice for a few days. Fall break coming up soon, so everyone will have some time off.

More size and rebounding than usual, less experience and outside shooting than normal.

Which we kinda, sorta, maybe already knew.

Said Allen was playing at a very high level.

Most of the presser was taken up with shoe companies and AAU and the nature of the college-basketball-universe and I'll not attempt to sum all this up.

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2017, 02:31 PM
K confirmed today that Duke will try some "big" lineups, with three of Bagley, Carter, Bolden, DeLaurier or Vrankovic on the court at the same time.

Said the team was healthy, although DeLaurier had been bothered with a sore hamstring and wouldn't practice for a few days. Fall break coming up soon, so everyone will have some time off.

More size and rebounding than usual, less experience and outside shooting than normal.

Which we kinda, sorta, maybe already knew.

Said Allen was playing at a very high level.

Most of the presser was taken up with shoe companies and AAU and the nature of the college-basketball-universe and I'll not attempt to sum all this up.

Thanks Jim.

Why would Coach K talk about shoe companies and AAU and the state of college ball? I don't see any issues with this right now. It's part of what makes college ball great! ;)

English
10-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Thanks Jim.

Why would Coach K talk about shoe companies and AAU and the state of college ball? I don't see any issues with this right now. It's part of what makes college ball great! ;)

WHAT?! You obviously aren't aware of the shoe companies' insistence on providing footwear that causes chronic and repeated lower extremity injuries, and the AAU's systemic failure to prepare college freshmen to play adequate team defense (especially the OADs). I just...I don't even know what to say right now. Grievous oversights, FDD.

Indoor66
10-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Thanks Jim.

I haven't listened to any of the Conference but I am assuming that K was responding to Reporter questions, not giving out extemporaneously about the subject.

Billy Dat
10-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know how to log on to watch the live scrimmage?

jimsumner
10-03-2017, 03:11 PM
I haven't listened to any of the Conference but I am assuming that K was responding to Reporter questions, not giving out extemporaneously about the subject.

Based on questions asked, I would expect to see a lot of articles in the next few days on the subject at hand, featuring K's quotes.

Like it or not but K has become the face of college basketball. I have no reason to believe he relishes or even likes this status. But he certainly understands it. And he was definitely prepared for the questions.

And today's scrimmage is closed to the media. For what that's worth.

Billy Dat
10-03-2017, 03:15 PM
And today's scrimmage is closed to the media. For what that's worth.

If you can figure out how to watch it on Instagram, as the Duke BBall social media feed indicates it's supposed to be shown, let the rest of us know!

jimsumner
10-03-2017, 03:21 PM
If you can figure out how to watch it on Instagram, as the Duke BBall social media feed indicates it's supposed to be shown, let the rest of us know!

What's an Instagram?

You do realize, that I'm an old fogey?

Billy Dat
10-03-2017, 03:24 PM
What's an Instagram?

You do realize, that I'm an old fogey?

Ha..yes, I am halfway there myself...it just surprises me that (A) I have an instagram account (B) the announcement said 3PM Tuesday and (C) I am checking all of the above and see nothing.

LasVegas
10-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Teams were very lopsided. White had Allen, goldwire, Trent, Bagley, carter. Leaving Bolden and Duval on the blue. Allen was the only standout player and probably put up close to 30...no joke. Had a nasty dunk on I believe jack white. White team celebrated and didn’t get back which let the blue team score easily.

Duval didn’t look good. Didn’t make mistakes, just a non factor. Goldwire honestly looked better but was running with better teammates. I was impressed with his poise. Didn’t look to score but ran the team well and made good passes. Duval did have a nice missed dunk. Really showed his ability to leap.

It’s hard for me to comment on anyone else. Just not a lot of substance.

All in all, the only take away I have from it is that Grayson Allen is going to be fantastic.’

Anyone who wants to watch it can still do so on instagram. Up for replay. Just look at the top of your feed and it will have a circle with duke basketball as long as you follow them.

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2017, 03:51 PM
Teams were very lopsided. White had Allen, goldwire, Trent, Bagley, carter. Leaving Bolden and Duval on the blue. Allen was the only standout player and probably put up close to 30...no joke. Had a nasty dunk on I believe jack white. White team celebrated and didn’t get back which let the blue team score easily.

Duval didn’t look good. Didn’t make mistakes, just a non factor. Goldwire honestly looked better but was running with better teammates. I was impressed with his poise. Didn’t look to score but ran the team well and made good passes. Duval did have a nice missed dunk. Really showed his ability to leap.

It’s hard for me to comment on anyone else. Just not a lot of substance.

All in all, the only take away I have from it is that Grayson Allen is going to be fantastic.’

Anyone who wants to watch it can still do so on instagram. Up for replay. Just look at the top of your feed and it will have a circle with duke basketball as long as you follow them.

How do you watch the reply? On instagram, followed dukembb, but can't see it.... thanks in advanced!

LasVegas
10-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Go to you main feed and at the top it will list the “stories”. Duke mbb should be there in a circle. Click on the circle and away you go.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Go to you main feed and at the top it will list the “stories”. Duke mbb should be there in a circle. Click on the circle and away you go.

Count me in the "clueless" crowd.

Troublemaker
10-03-2017, 04:03 PM

It should be mentioned that Las Vegas' instructions probably won't work on a computer. You're using the instagram app on an iphone/android or ipad, correct?

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2017, 04:03 PM

Found it! Only watch on a mobile device. Click on the Duke circle on your feed that has a "play video" symbol.

LasVegas
10-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Ok I’m trying to figure out how to help you guys. Your mobile app should look like the following picture. Just click on the little circle at the top that says duke mbb and it will take you right into the replay. You have to be following the account though.

LasVegas
10-03-2017, 04:06 PM
It should be mentioned that Las Vegas' instructions probably won't work on a computer. You're using the instagram app on an iphone/android or ipad, correct?

Yeah that’s correct. Only mobile.

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Saw a large part of the game.

-Allen looked amazing, but he plays with the reckless abandon that we've come to love and fear at the same time. I mean, the dude was falling left, right, and center after ever dunk/layup. I pray that he's healthy for the whole season, because most athletes can't take that punishment...

-Bolden got blocked a few times and got called for a few charges. Still very shaky in 1-on-1. I hope that means that Carter's/Bagley's D is much more advanced than Bolden's O. I really hope that's the case...

-I really like Trent's game. Very reliable. Very steady. IMO, he'll have the biggest spread between pre-season expectations and reality (kinda like Kennard last year).

-Duval was a non-factor as previously stated, but I think that has more to do with not understanding the system than his skillset. He didn't turn the ball over and kept on giving the ball to Bolden. With Allen, Bagley, Carter, and Trent, Duval's role will be distribution and opportunistic scoring. And I really think he's happy with that. He'll be a killer on the fast break and I think the majority of his points will come from there.

-Our non-Allen veterans were, for the most part, non-factors.

proelitedota
10-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Here's the link on youtube for people who missed it live and is born pre-1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_x0_8yL-UA

Troublemaker
10-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Here's the link on youtube for people who missed it live and is born pre-1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_x0_8yL-UA

Thanks. People who record stuff on their phone need to learn to turn their phone sideways and record in "landscape" view

COYS
10-03-2017, 11:26 PM
Thanks. People who record stuff on their phone need to learn to turn their phone sideways and record in "landscape" view

It's called Vertical Video Syndrome and it has become a pandemic:
https://youtu.be/Bt9zSfinwFA

proelitedota
10-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Watched the practice. Here are my thoughts.

1. Grayson is unstoppable. He looks like a pro player playing with HS kids.
2. Bagley stands out amongst the freshmen. He should already be in the NBA.
3. GTJ looks faster and has better handles than I expected.
4. Duvall is going to be really limited by his range. He seems to have a hard time scoring against the trees that we have.
5. Wendell is quiet. Where is Bolden? They were both foreshadowed by Vrank.
6. I have full faith that Vrank will be our starting center in 2018. He already looks to have a better array of post moves than Marshall did in his last year.

UrinalCake
10-04-2017, 09:20 AM
FYI if you want to watch an instagram live video on a non-mobile device, there's an extension for Chrome that will let you do it.

Agree with the other posters' assessments and will reiterate that Vrank looked really confident out there. He was aggressive going at the basket and even took and hit a long jump shot. It's going to be tough for him to find minutes with the number of big guys we have, but at least in practice he doesn't appear to be deferring to his more highly-ranked teammates.

luburch
10-04-2017, 12:21 PM

You're watching an iPhone screen recording that someone took of the Instagram feed. Unfortunately, Instagram in a vertical only mobile platform.

sagegrouse
10-04-2017, 12:29 PM
You're watching an iPhone screen recording that someone took of the Instagram feed. Unfortunately, Instagram in a vertical only mobile platform.

I am officially a codger, and I have one thing to say about watching lengthy videos on mobile phone screens. One of the worst headaches of my life was just sitting on an airplane next to a person who watched an entire movie on a small mobile telephone screen and imagining the eye stress and strain he was suffering from.

jimrowe0
10-04-2017, 01:52 PM
A few thoughts on what stood out:

- Grayson was clearly the best player on the floor and did it from every level
- Bagley is going to get fouled a lot this year and shot the ball very well from the free throw line
- Vrank played very well; footwork was good, finished through contact, and hit a few jumpers
- Goldwire did a good job at point, was under control and distributed the ball well

uh_no
10-04-2017, 02:15 PM
A few thoughts on what stood out:

- Grayson was clearly the best player on the floor and did it from every level
- Bagley is going to get fouled a lot this year and shot the ball very well from the free throw line
- Vrank played very well; footwork was good, finished through contact, and hit a few jumpers
- Goldwire did a good job at point, was under control and distributed the ball well

it seems PG is the biggest question here. Goldwire might look good in scrimmage for now, but I'm skeptical he's the answer. Duvall is going to have to step up. I know practice just started, and he may be getting in the flow of things yet, but smart distributing and defense. that's what we need.

Kedsy
10-04-2017, 03:53 PM
it seems PG is the biggest question here. Goldwire might look good in scrimmage for now, but I'm skeptical he's the answer. Duvall is going to have to step up. I know practice just started, and he may be getting in the flow of things yet, but smart distributing and defense. that's what we need.

I was surprised from this scrimmage both how quick Jordan G's feet were, and how less-than-lightning-quick Trevon's were. From high school scouting reports, the physical gifts are there, so hopefully all Trevon has to do is get used to the speed of the game at this level.

I was also a bit alarmed watching Wendell get caught -- twice -- too far out on a hedge after a screen. But I guess it's early. Hopefully they'll learn how to play D.

Indoor66
10-04-2017, 04:01 PM
There is a lot to learn during the transition from high school to this level. They will learn. Each will run his own race.

uh_no
10-04-2017, 04:10 PM
There is a lot to learn during the transition from high school to this level. They will learn. Each will run his own race.

they've also had, what? 3 practices? Lets wait at least until C2C before declaring it hopeless and awaiting next season :P

Kedsy
10-04-2017, 04:12 PM
they've also had, what? 3 practices? Lets wait at least until C2C before declaring it hopeless and awaiting next season :P

Not declaring anything. Still have high hopes.

uh_no
10-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Not declaring anything. Still have high hopes.

oh, not you specifically. I feel like there should be an informal pool, however, to guess when the first poster will declare it's all over.

jimrowe0
10-04-2017, 04:51 PM

Agreed, I think Duvall just needs time to adjust. He was turning the ball over or playing out of control, but he didn't do much to assert himself. I think he will be a great player for us, my biggest question is can he shoot. He will be better served if our opponents have to respect his shot.

devildeac
10-04-2017, 05:33 PM
oh, not you specifically. I feel like there should be an informal pool, however, to guess when the first poster will declare it's all over.

We'll need some sort of minor injury (emphasis on minor) before we can declare it's over. Maybe a hang nail or a floor burn?

:rolleyes:

LasVegas
10-04-2017, 05:40 PM
We'll need some sort of minor injury (emphasis on minor) before we can declare it's over. Maybe a hang nail or a floor burn?

Before the scrimmage. You can hear K yell to Jon and Nate to come over and then he says “watch Bolden's ankle” and after that it was inaudible to me. It’s not on the YouTube version because it started too late. So maybe it is over?

Kedsy
10-04-2017, 05:47 PM

I don't think Javin played. I assume because of a minor injury of some sort. That count?

dukelifer
10-04-2017, 06:06 PM

Quick undersized point guards with a chip on their shoulder have done well in the ACC ;)

devilsince1977
10-04-2017, 07:16 PM
I just watch the 27 minute scrimmage. It was hard to watch due to the format, but these are a couple of things I liked.

Grayson is a stud. His shot looked great. If we get the inside game from the BBC (Bolden, Bagley, Carter) we expect; and Trevon can handle the point; look out for Grayson.

Vrank's time with the Croatian National Team this summer did a lot for his game. He was the 2nd best player on the court during this scrimmage. He played within himself and showed good hands. I am not saying he should start, just that if he plays like that all year; he will get some quality minutes.

Furniture
10-04-2017, 10:16 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/915712730211934210/video/1

Prediction: This kid will be a Duke legend!!

uh_no
10-04-2017, 10:34 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/915712730211934210/video/1

Prediction: This kid will be a Duke legend!!

i think I'll bookmark this video for any time someone criticizes these guys' efforts. They bust their asses way too hard day in and day out to not "want" it enough on game day.

Heaven's Guardian
10-04-2017, 10:43 PM
I was surprised from this scrimmage both how quick Jordan G's feet were

I think a lot of people underestimate Jordan G, and I suspect that he'll be a rotation player as early as next season. We talk a lot about recruiting rankings and how players rated that low rarely contribute at Duke, but everything I've heard suggests that he's Tyler Thornton-style low-rated. Limited ceiling, probably won't ever be a threat offensively beyond hitting open threes, but a committed and talented defensive role player who should be able to contribute on that end early. Those players don't often get rated in the top 50, but it won't surprise me at all if he gets a few minutes this season as a defensive stopper and grows into a major role player as an upperclassman.

Kedsy
10-04-2017, 11:03 PM
I think a lot of people underestimate Jordan G, and I suspect that he'll be a rotation player as early as next season. We talk a lot about recruiting rankings and how players rated that low rarely contribute at Duke, but everything I've heard suggests that he's Tyler Thornton-style low-rated. Limited ceiling, probably won't ever be a threat offensively beyond hitting open threes, but a committed and talented defensive role player who should be able to contribute on that end early. Those players don't often get rated in the top 50, but it won't surprise me at all if he gets a few minutes this season as a defensive stopper and grows into a major role player as an upperclassman.

We'll see. FWIW, while neither player was rated in the "official" RSCI, which only ranks the top 100, from the recruiting rankings available Tyler Thornton was ranked MUCH better than Jordan Goldwire. Not even close. So while it's possible Jordan G does work his way into the rotation at some point, out of high school he was a lot closer to Andre Buckner than Tyler Thornton.

Troublemaker
10-04-2017, 11:33 PM
I was surprised from this scrimmage both how quick Jordan G's feet were, and how less-than-lightning-quick Trevon's were. From high school scouting reports, the physical gifts are there, so hopefully all Trevon has to do is get used to the speed of the game at this level.

I finally watched the scrimmage, and I agree. Trevon seemed both mentally and physically slow to me, keeping in mind that the former can cause the latter and that the quality of his teammates probably played a role in his struggles. I'll be very interested in seeing how much he's improved by the Open Practice and then CTC. Hopefully he does.

Of course, with any intrasquad scrimmage, all news is bittersweet. Trevon may have struggled, but it also meant that the White team's pick-and-roll defense didn't give up a single layup to the opposing point guard, which would've been unthinkable last season. And the Blue team with Trevon ran pick-and-roll every single trip down the court, so the White team had plenty of opportunities to defend it.

Duke hedged everything. Both side and middle pick-and-roll. That's what I thought could be out strategy based on all the highlights of summer practices on Duke MBB twitter, and this scrimmage confirmed it. We may eventually add other tactics but for now, we're a hedging team, full-time.

BD80
10-05-2017, 07:53 AM
... but for now, we're a hedging team, full-time.

I'm not willing to formally commit to this proposition ...

which, it seems, brings me on board with your proposition

Kedsy
10-05-2017, 09:47 AM
...but it also meant that the White team's pick-and-roll defense didn't give up a single layup to the opposing point guard, which would've been unthinkable last season.

Well, Trevon may not have scored off the pick-and-roll, but at least twice, Wendell hedged too hard and got stuck on the perimeter, and Trevon found his man under the basket.

devildeac
10-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Before the scrimmage. You can hear K yell to Jon and Nate to come over and then he says “watch Bolden's ankle” and after that it was inaudible to me. It’s not on the YouTube version because it started too late. So maybe it is over?

Is that an early declaration on your part? IOW, are you the first poster to declare "it's over?"

;)

uh_no
10-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Well, Trevon may not have scored off the pick-and-roll, but at least twice, Wendell hedged too hard and got stuck on the perimeter, and Trevon found his man under the basket.

I will take a PG who can get the ball to the open guy off a pick and roll 8 times a week. We've gotten beaten by that so many times in recent history it would be nice to have the tables turned :)

Troublemaker
10-05-2017, 10:29 AM

Yeah, one time Grayson was yelling at Wendell to get back before Trevon found Vrank (I think) for a layup. I'm not saying the White team's defense was perfect, but for the most part, they stymied Trevon and Blue during the scrimmage. It was nice to see them not allow penetration from Trevon, and I would say there were many more effective hedges than poor hedges.

aivroadstr
10-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Does anyone have a link to a recording of the live stream that took place a few days ago?

LasVegas
10-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Does anyone have a link to a recording of the live stream that took place a few days ago?

It’s in this thread a few pages back. It’s a YouTube link.

English
10-05-2017, 03:17 PM
I don't think Javin played. I assume because of a minor injury of some sort. That count?

K mentioned in his presser earlier this week that Javin is dealing with a hammy, and will be rested for a few days. So, yeah, game. set. match.

LasVegas
10-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Is that an early declaration on your part? IOW, are you the first poster to declare "it's over?"

;)

Ehhh, I think I’ll save my “it’s over” for a potential minor Grayson injury.

CDu
10-05-2017, 08:37 PM
So I just finished watching. And while I send thanks to whomever filmed it, that person is seriously lacking in cinematography skills. Filming from the baseline on a phone is awful. And filming the wall scoreboard (which wasn't legible on a phone from halfcourt) while play is going on is equally awful. That said, here are my thoughts:

1. I can see why they put Duval on the blue team, and it isn't because he was bad. If Duval played with the starters, it might have been a shutout.
2. Allen looked terrific, and he is going to be a stud this year. But it should be noted that the opposition guarding him was a HUGE step down from what we will see in real games.
3. There appears to be a BIG dropoff from our top 5 to #6. Allen and Bagley are uber-studs, Carter and Duval are a step down, and Trent is a solid 3 man. After that? It gets dicey. I might be inclined to push the per-game minutes estimates for the starters even higher. I am not at all convinced that this team is going to be deep. I will reserve judgement until I see DeLaurier take the floor, but none of Tucker, White, or O'Connell look ready.
4. As for individuals:
- Allen: as noted above, he looked great. Shooting stroke was on full display, and a couple of nice transition buckets showing the hops. Stay healthy, please!
- Bagley: he looked taller than everyone, and just looked so smooth. He is going to be a nightmare to defend
- Carter: he had a really nice start, with a post-up basket, a block, and an offensive rebound and putback in traffic. Also hit at least one FT. He seemed to disappear as the scrimmage progressed. Maybe he ran out of gas?
- Trent: didn't have a lot of opportunity to shine, but looked the part on the wing. Not worried about him.
- Duval: I disagree with others on his performance. I thought he was easily the best PG on the floor, and not remotely close. He manufactured nearly all of blue's points. His clever passing on the pick-and-roll (along with bad help defense) got Vrank a couple of uncontested layups. He had a really nice two-on-one fast break after an Allen dunk. He had another nice feed to Bolden for a layup. And he had a few nice drive and kicks to shooters who simply missed. I think he probably led the game in assists, despite playing on the team that lost by probably 20+. Put him on the white team, and he looks like an awesome PG. But when paired with a bunch of guys who can't create their own shot, he looks less impressive. He isn't a shooter at all, so when he doesn't have running mates who can score, it really handcuffs him.
- Bolden: Looked like the third or fourth big out there for the part of the practice he played in (he seemed to sit a lot later). Hard to say if that is just because Bagley and Carter are so good offensively, or if it reflects on him. But he seems clearly behind those two.
- Vrankovic: had a couple of gimmes as noted above. But he also had one nice postup on Carter, drawing a foul. Managed to hit a long 2 or a 3. But got toasted on the other end. Probsbly had 7 fouls in the brief scrimmage. He didn't look discernibly worse than Bolden, which is either a compliment to him or a concern with Bolden. But both looked clearly behind white's bigs.
- White: the only thing of note was that he played about half the game at SF and the other half (when Bolden sat) at PF. Otherwise, not much to say. He hit at least one 3, missed some others.
- O'Connell/Tucker: these two played SG for blue. Allen had a monster game for white at SG. In short, they looked like freshmen not ready to compete with top-tier wings yet. Which is fine.
- Goldwire: looked functional dribbling it up, threw one nice long outlet to Allen, otherwise wasn't impactful. It is worth noting that he faced minimal defensive pressure - just token pressure from Duval, no traps or any schemes designed to exploit him. In the half-court, he would pretty much just swing it to the wing and start looking for guys to screen. The offense ran through everyone else. Doubt he plays in competitive games.
- DeLaurier: appeared to be a DNP

I think our starting five is going to be bananas. I have serious questions after that. I would like to see how Bolden and DeLaurier look with the starters. But I would be surprised if we go deeper than 7 guys getting meaningful minutes in competitive games. Which is fine. Like I said, our starters are going to be awesome.

proelitedota
10-05-2017, 09:18 PM
CDu are you a couch by any chance. I like the depth of your analysis.

dukelifer
10-05-2017, 09:52 PM
So I just finished watching. And while I send thanks to whomever filmed it, that person is seriously lacking in cinematography skills. Filming from the baseline on a phone is awful. And filming the wall scoreboard (which wasn't legible on a phone from halfcourt) while play is going on is equally awful. That said, here are my thoughts:

1. I can see why they put Duval on the blue team, and it isn't because he was bad. If Duval played with the starters, it might have been a shutout.
2. Allen looked terrific, and he is going to be a stud this year. But it should be noted that the opposition guarding him was a HUGE step down from what we will see in real games.
3. There appears to be a BIG dropoff from our top 5 to #6. Allen and Bagley are uber-studs, Carter and Duval are a step down, and Trent is a solid 3 man. After that? It gets dicey. I might be inclined to push the per-game minutes estimates for the starters even higher. I am not at all convinced that this team is going to be deep. I will reserve judgement until I see DeLaurier take the floor, but none of Tucker, White, or O'Connell look ready.
4. As for individuals:
- Allen: as noted above, he looked great. Shooting stroke was on full display, and a couple of nice transition buckets showing the hops. Stay healthy, please!
- Bagley: he looked taller than everyone, and just looked so smooth. He is going to be a nightmare to defend
- Carter: he had a really nice start, with a post-up basket, a block, and an offensive rebound and putback in traffic. Also hit at least one FT. He seemed to disappear as the scrimmage progressed. Maybe he ran out of gas?
- Trent: didn't have a lot of opportunity to shine, but looked the part on the wing. Not worried about him.
- Duval: I disagree with others on his performance. I thought he was easily the best PG on the floor, and not remotely close. He manufactured nearly all of blue's points. His clever passing on the pick-and-roll (along with bad help defense) got Vrank a couple of uncontested layups. He had a really nice two-on-one fast break after an Allen dunk. He had another nice feed to Bolden for a layup. And he had a few nice drive and kicks to shooters who simply missed. I think he probably led the game in assists, despite playing on the team that lost by probably 20+. Put him on the white team, and he looks like an awesome PG. But when paired with a bunch of guys who can't create their own shot, he looks less impressive. He isn't a shooter at all, so when he doesn't have running mates who can score, it really handcuffs him.
- Bolden: Looked like the third or fourth big out there for the part of the practice he played in (he seemed to sit a lot later). Hard to say if that is just because Bagley and Carter are so good offensively, or if it reflects on him. But he seems clearly behind those two.
- Vrankovic: had a couple of gimmes as noted above. But he also had one nice postup on Carter, drawing a foul. Managed to hit a long 2 or a 3. But got toasted on the other end. Probsbly had 7 fouls in the brief scrimmage. He didn't look discernibly worse than Bolden, which is either a compliment to him or a concern with Bolden. But both looked clearly behind white's bigs.
- White: the only thing of note was that he played about half the game at SF and the other half (when Bolden sat) at PF. Otherwise, not much to say. He hit at least one 3, missed some others.
- O'Connell/Tucker: these two played SG for blue. Allen had a monster game for white at SG. In short, they looked like freshmen not ready to compete with top-tier wings yet. Which is fine.
- Goldwire: looked functional dribbling it up, threw one nice long outlet to Allen, otherwise wasn't impactful. It is worth noting that he faced minimal defensive pressure - just token pressure from Duval, no traps or any schemes designed to exploit him. In the half-court, he would pretty much just swing it to the wing and start looking for guys to screen. The offense ran through everyone else. Doubt he plays in competitive games.
- DeLaurier: appeared to be a DNP

I think our starting five is going to be bananas. I have serious questions after that. I would like to see how Bolden and DeLaurier look with the starters. But I would be surprised if we go deeper than 7 guys getting meaningful minutes in competitive games. Which is fine. Like I said, our starters are going to be awesome.

If Duke is lucky- they can go with 7. But Frosh foul a lot so Duke will need to get creative.

jimsumner
10-05-2017, 11:41 PM
K said Tuesday that DeLaurier was in the running to be a starter.

For what it's worth.

devildeac
10-05-2017, 11:58 PM
Ehhh, I think I’ll save my “it’s over” for a potential minor Grayson injury.

You could easily declare it with a Giles, err, Carter injury. :eek:

Or a Tatum, err, Bagley injury. :eek:

Or a Bolden, err, Bolden injury. :eek:

I'm hoping/praying for a year of minor or no injuries.

Troublemaker
10-06-2017, 08:40 AM
If Duke is lucky- they can go with 7. But Frosh foul a lot so Duke will need to get creative.

As long as the foulers are bigs, we'll be fine. There's so much big man depth. We have 4 guys who can play center (Carter, Bolden, Vrank, Bagley), 3 guys who can play PF (Bagley, DeLaurier, Carter), and apparently 3 guys who can play SF (Trent, DeLaurier, Bagley) if you buy what the coaches are saying about Bagley and Delaurier.

But it's true that Grayson, Trevon, and Gary have to stay out of foul trouble.

CDu
10-06-2017, 09:22 AM
K said Tuesday that DeLaurier was in the running to be a starter.

For what it's worth.

Yeah, I should expand on my thoughts that it's hard to say how players #6 and #7 will look as Bolden was asked to be the primary scoring threat when he was in with the blue team (not the role he'll play normally) and DeLaurier wasn't in. It could be that Bolden will look better when able to play his role with 4 of the white team players and not have to be the focal point on offense.

I'm hopeful that this time Coach K's comment about DeLaurier is different than his comments about Plumlee and Murphy back when they had their injuries as true freshmen. But it remains to be seen.

If Bolden and DeLaurier are anywhere close to as good as the starting 5, and if we stay healthy, we are going to be awfully tough to beat.

Billy Dat
10-06-2017, 09:22 AM

Sounds like a rotation that suits K to a T. When Capel is coaching in 2020-2021, we can celebrate a 9 man rotation.

CDu
10-06-2017, 09:28 AM
CDu are you a couch by any chance. I like the depth of your analysis.

Thanks for the kind words. Not a couch, nor a coach ;). I did play in high school, but my only coaching experience is as an assistant the 8-10 year old level.

CDu
10-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Sounds like a rotation that suits K to a T. When Capel is coaching in 2020-2021, we can celebrate a 9 man rotation.

Yeah, I hope my post doesn't sound like a negative view. I think we're going to be REALLY good. I just think that our "really good" is going to come from our starters, not depth.

dukelifer
10-06-2017, 09:49 AM
As long as the foulers are bigs, we'll be fine. There's so much big man depth. We have 4 guys who can play center (Carter, Bolden, Vrank, Bagley), 3 guys who can play PF (Bagley, DeLaurier, Carter), and apparently 3 guys who can play SF (Trent, DeLaurier, Bagley) if you buy what the coaches are saying about Bagley and Delaurier.

But it's true that Grayson, Trevon, and Gary have to stay out of foul trouble.

Yes- more worried about the guards. Fall off is sharp although I have a good feeling about Goldwire in running the show.

jipops
10-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I hope my post doesn't sound like a negative view. I think we're going to be REALLY good. I just think that our "really good" is going to come from our starters, not depth.

Looked like a realistic view to me. I've shared similar thoughts ever since the rotation/minutes thread started. It is very reasonable to expect that we'll see a very short rotation (7 tops) all year, especially once we hit January. We basically have a set of 4-5 players that are either nba ready or very close to nba ready, 2 guys - non guards - (Bolden, Javin) that seem promising yet continue to have question marks, and then a huge drop off to a set of guys that may struggle to even be ready for division 1 college play.

I'm still very intrigued to see if K uses Bagley in multiple positions/looks. If he is able to do this then I think it does change the outlook of our depth to some significance.

flyingdutchdevil
10-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Except no guard depth. If that 7 is the core 7 (and I'm starting to believe), four of 7 are above 6'10". And seems very un-Coach K-like.

mattman91
10-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Except no guard depth. If that 7 is the core 7 (and I'm starting to believe), four of 7 are above 6'10". And seems very un-Coach K-like.

We are gonna look a lot like FSU with that length and athleticism.

I really think we need at least one more player that can play on the perimeter. Tucker's reputation as a sharp shooter would make him an ideal candidate, but early reports say he isn't in physical shape to compete at this level yet. Jack White maybe? I think K mentioned White as one of the players that has made a big leap in the off-season.

I'm not worried about Bagley or Delaurier being able to defend perimeter players, but I am worried about perimeter scoring, and maybe more importantly their lack of ball handling.

flyingdutchdevil
10-06-2017, 10:50 AM
We are gonna look a lot like FSU with that length and athleticism.

I really think we need at least one more player that can play on the perimeter. Tucker's reputation as a sharp shooter would make him an ideal candidate, but early reports say he isn't in physical shape to compete at this level yet. Jack White maybe? I think K mentioned White as one of the players that has made a big leap in the off-season.

Yeah...I feel you.

But the truth is our perimeter options are all either unknowns or have not so great reputations on the defensive end, which is more crucial for us. DeLaurier and Bolden are big and long and should be able to guard their respective positions well. I assume DeLaurier and Bagley will spend some time at the 3. But if that doesn't work, we have to use Tucker, O'Connell, or White.

flyingdutchdevil
10-06-2017, 10:51 AM
I'm not worried about Bagley or Delaurier being able to defend perimeter players, but I am worried about perimeter scoring, and maybe more importantly their lack of ball handling.

This is where we differ. I don't have concerns about scoring, because Coach K has always found a way in the OAD era. Defense? Now that's generated very mixed results in that same time frame.

Kedsy
10-06-2017, 11:19 AM
I'm still very intrigued to see if K uses Bagley in multiple positions/looks. If he is able to do this then I think it does change the outlook of our depth to some significance.

Yeah, if he's able to play SF, Coach K could decide to go with a six man rotation (though I'm still hoping for seven).

Yes- more worried about the guards. Fall off is sharp although I have a good feeling about Goldwire in running the show.

Hone that good feeling during CTC and the exhibitions. After that, barring injury, Jordan G's participation this year will exclusively come in garbage time.

This is where we differ. I don't have concerns about scoring, because Coach K has always found a way in the OAD era. Defense? Now that's generated very mixed results in that same time frame.

Yeah, my guess is what our offense lacks in outside shooting we'll make up with fast break points. Also, Grayson will shoot a LOT.

mattman91
10-06-2017, 11:23 AM

Maybe so, I was just going off what our dear leader said in his presser :cool:

He seems to have confidence, so good enough for me.

kAzE
10-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Watching this team, and Grayson in particular, is going to be somewhat stressful for me. I agree that our depth, especially in the back court is quite thin, and even a slightly nicked up Grayson (which is statistically almost certain to happen to some degree, given his reckless style of play) is going to result in some noticeable drop off. The games Grayson played last season on a bad ankle were some of the worst performances of his otherwise incredible career.

Grayson's game relies heavily on his athleticism and explosiveness, so I really hope we give him proper rest in blowouts and just play it safe in general. If he hurts himself trying to dunk on someone in a 30 point game against a cupcake opponent, it will be very upsetting . . . I just wish he'd take it easy sometimes.

flyingdutchdevil
10-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Watching this team, and Grayson in particular, is going to be somewhat stressful for me. I agree that our depth, especially in the back court is quite thin, and even a slightly nicked up Grayson (which is statistically almost certain to happen to some degree, given his reckless style of play) is going to result in some noticeable drop off. The games Grayson played last season on a bad ankle were some of the worst performances of his otherwise incredible career.

Grayson's game relies heavily on his athleticism and explosiveness, so I really hope we give him proper rest in blowouts and just play it safe in general. If he hurts himself trying to dunk on someone in a 30 point game against a cupcake opponent, it will be very upsetting . . . I just wish he'd take it easy sometimes.

And you know Grayson can't help himself. It's just his style. He will dunk as ferociously as humanly possible against UNC as he will against Elon. And he will fall awkwardly during both dunks, giving every Duke fan a heart attack.

I am worried about injured Grayson. I really hope he gets as much rest as possible in the first third of the season.

sagegrouse
10-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Yeah, if he's able to play SF, Coach K could decide to go with a six man rotation (though I'm still hoping for seven).

Hone that good feeling during CTC and the exhibitions. After that, barring injury, Jordan G's participation this year will exclusively come in garbage time.

Yeah, my guess is what our offense lacks in outside shooting we'll make up with fast break points. Also, Grayson will shoot a LOT.

Kedsy, I am not going to beat a dead horse by forecasting a nine-man rotation this year. Coach K did say in March that he needs to play more players. Like many of you, however, I heard it; I was momentarily thrilled, and then I dismissed the statement as a temporary delusion.

But the case for a deeper rotation in 2018 is fairly strong, as we expect to lose several players after only one year at Duke. The one-and-done era has two strategic implications: (1) recruit more players every year, because college careers -- especially for the best players -- are dramatically shorter; (2) play a deeper rotation, so that, with higher turnover, there is a stronger cadre of experienced players returning. Duke has done the former but not the latter.

We'll see.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'The point about an expanded rotation also may offset the increased tendency of players to transfer, such as Jesusemilore Talodabijesu "Semi" Ojeleye, the #37 pick in this year's draft (with two years of his four-year contract guaranteed)'

superdave
10-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Kedsy, I am not going to beat a dead horse by forecasting a nine-man rotation this year. Coach K did say in March that he needs to play more players. Like many of you, however, I heard it; I was momentarily thrilled, and then I dismissed the statement as a temporary delusion.

But the case for a deeper rotation in 2018 is fairly strong, as we expect to lose several players after only one year at Duke. The one-and-done era has two strategic implications: (1) recruit more players every year, because college careers -- especially for the best players -- are dramatically shorter; (2) play a deeper rotation, so that, with higher turnover, there is a stronger cadre of experienced players returning. Duke has done the former but not the latter.

We'll see.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'The point about an expanded rotation also may offset the increased tendency of players to transfer, such as Jesusemilore Talodabijesu "Semi" Ojeleye, the #37 pick in this year's draft (with two years of his four-year contract guaranteed)'

Coach K has said that stuff before but the rotation gets skinny by Thanksgiving. I recall Coach K saying he should have played Jamal Boykin more after Boykin transferred out. He just doesnt do it. I say it every year and will say it again now - I wish K would have the second squad press full court for a few quick stretches every game to both get them some minutes and wear out the opponent's backcourt. Would be nice to have some steady minutes for those guys through the holidays instead of just the first handful of games.

Dont hold your breath though....

kAzE
10-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Coach K has said that stuff before but the rotation gets skinny by Thanksgiving. I recall Coach K saying he should have played Jamal Boykin more after Boykin transferred out. He just doesnt do it. I say it every year and will say it again now - I wish K would have the second squad press full court for a few quick stretches every game to both get them some minutes and wear out the opponent's backcourt. Would be nice to have some steady minutes for those guys through the holidays instead of just the first handful of games.

Dont hold your breath though...

Yeah, when I hear Coach K say things like "I have to play more guys" or "I should have played X more minutes" now, I just tuned it out. It's coach speak. He's obligated to show no preference for his own guys and these young kids need to feel like they have the confidence of their coach. He should always say he's going to play more guys. He should always talk his guys up.

However, Coach K is 70, and he's been coaching for 43 years. I'd be shocked if he decided to make a major change in his coaching philosophy in the twilight of his career. He always plays around 9-10 guys for the first 8-10 games of the year, and shaves that rotation down to 6-7 by the time the games become more important. He doesn't believe in game reps having more value than practice reps. When the games matter, he plays the guys who he believes will help the team win, and not anyone else. There's 40+ years of data to back that up.

uh_no
10-06-2017, 12:29 PM

It'll be interesting. first time in a while the offense won't be built around open three point shooters (or at least have them as a main facet)

certainly sholuld be an intruiging team to watch. but darn I wish luke were still around :(

CDu
10-06-2017, 01:05 PM

We'll see.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

Just to be clear, he didn't say "I need to play more players." He said "we need to be deeper." That may not seem like a meaningful distinction to some, but I think it's a very important difference. I take that to mean "we need need to have more players who are able to compete," not "we need to play more players."

And again, I think even that is still just a throwaway comment after a tough loss. He has a long history of preferring to play short rotations. I will be very surprised if that changes now. Especially given the apparent dropoff in talent/readiness from the top 5 (maybe 6 or 7) to the rest. I have a feeling that when the going gets tough, he'll ride his best horses like he always has.

But my concern is not that we may only have a 7-man rotation. I agree with kAzE that the big concern (and it will likely be a season-long one) is that we appear to be an injury to either Allen or Duval from being in a real bind.

CDu
10-06-2017, 01:08 PM

I think we'll also have a nice uptick in offensive rebounds and second-chance points.

We have become accustomed to seeing our offense succeed as a function of unbelievable 3-point shooting from a variety of options. But there are other ways to be effective offensively. I think this year's team will ultimately illustrate that.

That's not to say that we won't shoot 3s. As you say, I think Allen is going to take a LOT of 3s. He'll get the benefit of less attention as defenses have to respect Bagley, Carter, Trent, and Duval. We almost certainly will shoot fewer than recent years. But we'll still shoot (and make) a lot of them.

kAzE
10-06-2017, 01:22 PM
I think we'll also have a nice uptick in offensive rebounds and second-chance points.

We have become accustomed to seeing our offense succeed as a function of unbelievable 3-point shooting from a variety of options. But there are other ways to be effective offensively. I think this year's team will ultimately illustrate that.

That's not to say that we won't shoot 3s. As you say, I think Allen is going to take a LOT of 3s. He'll get the benefit of less attention as defenses have to respect Bagley, Carter, Trent, and Duval. We almost certainly will shoot fewer than recent years. But we'll still shoot (and make) a lot of them.

I think Grayson will definitely shoot a ton of 3s. If he's mostly healthy through the whole season, I think he will have 250-300 attempts on the year, which is JJ Redick territory. He's by FAR the best shooter on the team and it's not even close. We have the weapons to be effective down low, but I still think someone else will need to step up as a shooter to keep defenses honest. Hopefully Gary can be somewhat reliable from deep. I'll be interested to see if Javin really does play on the perimeter and if he can knock down open shots. I'm starting to think Jordan Tucker won't have a big role (or at least not right away), so Javin's a real wild card.

MrPoon
10-06-2017, 01:32 PM
I think the 3 pt volume may be a little less than that just because he is so much better than JJ at putting it on the floor and driving. I do agree that it will be high and in this offense the 3 pump fake will open up a ton of options. I hope his volume is high and Travon's is low. With such a young team, taking good shots will be important (although our rebounding has a chance to be EPIC).

I may not have said it yet.... but I realllllly want this season to start. So many things to consider and I don't want to wait any longer.

Plus if the US Men's team fails to qualify for the World Cup, I may be in such a dark place only another banner will pull me out...

kAzE
10-06-2017, 01:55 PM
I think the 3 pt volume may be a little less than that just because he is so much better than JJ at putting it on the floor and driving. I do agree that it will be high and in this offense the 3 pump fake will open up a ton of options. I hope his volume is high and Travon's is low. With such a young team, taking good shots will be important (although our rebounding has a chance to be EPIC).

I may not have said it yet... but I realllllly want this season to start. So many things to consider and I don't want to wait any longer.

Plus if the US Men's team fails to qualify for the World Cup, I may be in such a dark place only another banner will pull me out...

Oh, I think he'll very likely put up 250 threes if he plays every game. He shot 222 in 34 games last year, around 6.5 attempts per game. With the team as it's constructed, I think he will get 7-8 attempts a game this year, due to:

1. Him not needing to be the primary ball handler (he shoots it much better off the catch than off the dribble)
2. Our relative lack of shooting throughout the rest of the roster
3. Just anticipating great open looks due to better inside/out passing (especially off offensive boards).

I think we will run a ton of screen action for Grayson like we did for JJ to get him open looks.

Plus, I actually understated JJ Redick's 3 point shooting volume. JJ shot 300 (9.1/game) threes as a junior and 330 (9.2) as a senior.

budwom
10-06-2017, 03:56 PM

Dont hold your breath though...

Yes, this is a Fool Me Thrice kind of thing, I'll just expect six or maybe seven guys and hope I'm surprised.

Furniture
10-06-2017, 06:08 PM
https://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-Basketball-tickets-for-sale-108497122/Amp

interesting Coach Capel interview. Well worth a listen.

Furniture
10-06-2017, 11:38 PM
Just found this Grayson interview too. Sorry if it's has been posted elsewhere.

https://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-Basketball-Countdown-to-Craziness-tickets-package-available-108413887

I didn't say it but the Capel interview is very insightful. It's more evidence that my Javin (Duke legend) prediction will become reality.

cheers.

gep
10-07-2017, 12:50 AM
Question... Grayson had 2 fingers taped on his left hand??? :confused:

proelitedota
10-07-2017, 03:02 AM

It's over.

DukieInBrasil
10-07-2017, 08:45 AM

it's a pretty common sports med action for a sprained finger, or even to prevent injuries. I wouldn't be too alarmed, but if it was on the right hand....

NashvilleDevil
10-07-2017, 10:48 AM

I think we need a vigil.

jimsumner
10-07-2017, 11:45 AM

That's to remind him not to trip anyone.

Or maybe to pick up some milk and bread.

Indoor66
10-07-2017, 11:49 AM
That's to remind him not to trip anyone.

Or maybe to pick up some milk and bread.

Or shoot more often?

NSDukeFan
10-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Or shoot more often?
That sounds about right.

Furniture
10-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Jack:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/917863231699402752/video/1

interview with Wendell.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2017/10/chatting-duke-freshmen-wendell-carter/

"We are all kind of looking for our role right now. Me, Marvin and Marques and Antonio are all looking at what we can do to better fit the team. It is kind of like a gray area where we are trying to figure it all out, but we are really great friends off the court, so I think we should be fine".

uh_no
10-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Jack:

interview with Wendell.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2017/10/chatting-duke-freshmen-wendell-carter/

"We are all kind of looking for our role right now. Me, Marvin and Marques and Antonio are all looking at what we can do to better fit the team. It is kind of like a gray area where we are trying to figure it all out, but we are really great friends off the court, so I think we should be fine".

teams that DIDN'T miss qualifying for the world cup: Duke Men's Basketball '17-'18

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-10-2017, 11:07 PM
teams that DIDN'T miss qualifying for the world cup: Duke Men's Basketball '17-'18

Wow... You weren't kidding about being bitter.

uh_no
10-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Wow... You weren't kidding about being bitter.

at least you know i'm passionate.

among the things i love most are
-my religion
-my alma mater
-my family
-my country

missing the world cup hurts.

gep
10-11-2017, 12:38 AM
Jack:

So... what does Jack have on his left wrist??? Apple Watch? FItbit? Something else?

Which got me thinking... are basketball players allowed to wear any such item on the court?

Troublemaker
10-11-2017, 08:48 AM
So... what does Jack have on his left wrist??? Apple Watch? FItbit? Something else?

Which got me thinking... are basketball players allowed to wear any such item on the court?

Jack is most likely wearing a WHOOP Strap 2.0 (GoDuke article) (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211666652) to monitor "strain, recovery, and sleep metrics."

tfk53
11-12-2017, 09:16 PM
My apologies for being so late with this link to pictures I took at the 9/30/17 practice - multiple excuses, none good - but figured better late than never with them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sxHdJ4Ph3H8eURu73

TKG
11-12-2017, 09:32 PM
My apologies for being so late with this link to pictures I took at the 9/30/17 practice - multiple excuses, none good - but figured better late than never with them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sxHdJ4Ph3H8eURu73

Nice. Thanks for sharing these.