PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 84 - GTHC, Miami Preview, Best Duke BB Game In Person

blazindw
09-26-2017, 01:39 AM
We're back with Episode 84! On this episode, we recap sending Carolina to Hell, preview the upcoming Friday night matchup against Miami, and dive into basketball with our new question of the week. As always, timestamps and links to subscribe are below. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-84-beat-carolina-preview-miami-and-our-favorite-hoops-games

0:00 Shout out to a nice fan who is sponsoring us… and we got new music!
1:30 Jason can’t even get through the intros without giving Donald **** for the insane ending of the Falcons-Lions game.
4:50 Donald gives us the history of the terrible luck of the Detroit Lions… are we ever going to talk about Duke?!?!
6:00 Finally, we talk about the Duke-Carolina football game! Donald and Sam didn’t see as much of the game as they should have, so Jason takes the lead.
8:40 Jason finds a way to relate the Detroit Lions fatalism to Duke football. Put another way, Jason thought Duke was going to lose after watching, “the worst 2 minutes Duke has played under David Cutcliffe.”
11:30 We rip on UNC QB Chazz Surratt and revel in his ridiculous pick-6 interception that was one of the worst passes ever thrown by a college football QB.
14:35 Sam points out how bad times are for Carolina football fans. Karma!
15:40 Donald praises Duke’s defense, which has been the strongest part of the team this season.
19:20 Praise for Brittan Brown and Duke’s 3rd down D
23:55 We preview Miami. Donald takes the lead after Jason prompts him with some topics.
29:00 Sam asks Donald to predict what the plan of attack will be for Duke’s defense again Miami
33:50 Jason says this battle could put Duke unquestionably at the top of the Coastal Division and he questions something about the character of Miami’s stud RB Mark Walton.
39:00 Donald wraps up the Miami talk by commenting on how the storms that hit Florida could impact Miami football.
42:10 Sam asks the basketball question of the week – name the best game away from Cameron that you ever attended; Jason leads off with The Greatest Game Ever Played.
46:05 Donald talks about watching Chris Duhon break UNC’s heart in 2004 and how he interacted with the Carolina fans at the Dean Dome.
50:25 Sam saw the 2015 National Title game and, for obvious reasons, that is his favorite game
52:40 Parting Shots – Donald with a shout-out to the brand new Duke softball team! Check ‘em out!
53:45 Parting Shots- Jason says congrats to Mason Plumlee for his new $41 mil contract. Cha-ching!
56:25 Parting Shots- Sam says goodbye to the Crow’s Nest

Links:
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

JasonEvans
09-26-2017, 11:56 AM
Donald,

On the pod you said you had a great picture from inside the Dean Dome after Duhon's layup. Please share!

Sadly, I have no pictures from my court-side seat behind Grant Hill for the Greatest Game Ever Played because there were barely portable camera back then, let alone cameras or other devices that could quickly take a picture.

blazindw
09-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Donald,

On the pod you said you had a great picture from inside the Dean Dome after Duhon's layup. Please share!

Sadly, I have no pictures from my court-side seat behind Grant Hill for the Greatest Game Ever Played because there were barely portable camera back then, let alone cameras or other devices that could quickly take a picture.

Ask and ye shall receive! This was taken on an old camera my friend happened to have. Note you can squint and see the score still on the scoreboard in the background. An incredible night!

JasonEvans
09-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Ask and ye shall receive! This was taken on an old camera my friend happened to have. Note you can squint and see the score still on the scoreboard in the background. An incredible night!

Good stuff!

Love the JJ Redick fan in the pic behind you!

JasonEvans
09-26-2017, 12:30 PM
By the way, we hope folks like the "Basketball Question of the Week" that we have implemented the past couple pods. It is something we are going to try to do for the next several weeks until basketball actually begins. The first was "Which Duke one and done do you wish had come back for another year?" and the second was "What was the best non-Cameron Duke game you ever saw?"

We are open to suggestions for other questions we can answer. So, send 'em our way!

-Jason "you can post it here or PM one of us or email dbrpodcast@gmail.com

Bob Green
09-26-2017, 03:28 PM
11:30 We rip on UNC QB Chazz Surratt and revel in his ridiculous pick-6 interception that was one of the worst passes ever thrown by a college football QB.

To find a worse pass, one must travel back to Super Bowl VII and Garo Yepremian:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000146968/Garo-Yepremian-attempted-throw

Of course, Garo was not a quarterback.

JasonEvans
09-26-2017, 04:17 PM
To find a worse pass, one must travel back to Super Bowl VII and Garo Yepremian:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000146968/Garo-Yepremian-attempted-throw

Of course, Garo was not a quarterback.

Wait, you mean this is not the proper way to throw a football?

http://pad2.whstatic.com/images/thumb/2/28/Do-a-Throw-in-Soccer-Step-4-Version-2.jpg/aid23564-v4-728px-Do-a-Throw-in-Soccer-Step-4-Version-2.jpg

RPS
09-26-2017, 05:05 PM
By the way, we hope folks like the "Basketball Question of the Week" that we have implemented the past couple pods. It is something we are going to try to do for the next several weeks until basketball actually begins. The first was "Which Duke one and done do you wish had come back for another year?" and the second was "What was the best non-Cameron Duke game you ever saw?"Sadly, I have never been to a Final Four and I didn't see the UK game in person. I'm hoping that 2018 is the year for the FF. My favorite non-CIS Duke game was the "Abandon Ship!" game in 1986. Runners-ups include the game where Christian's buzzer-beater finished off UConn and the game where Billy King shut down Mark Macon to "scoreboard" Bill Cosby. Last season's match-up with Kansas was a great game, but the wrong team won and the game wasn't all that meaningful.

ArnieMc
09-27-2017, 08:59 PM
For me it had to be the 1960 ACC Tournament in Reynolds. Duke over unc 71-69 in the semis and winning their first ACC Championship over Wake 63-59. Great weekend!!!

DukieInBrasil
09-27-2017, 10:01 PM
I gotta say, i am more interested in Duke football now that i hear y'all talk about it, but in general i don't follow any football at all any more. 4-0 is pretty great!
To borrow from the discussion: my best Duke basketball moment was seeing the 1994 E8 game, Grant Hill vs. Glen Robinson. Capel had a sweet behind the back bounce pass for an assist, and of course Duke won, so it was great!

Tom B.
09-28-2017, 01:18 PM
The best non-Cameron Duke game I attended in person is easy -- the 1991 national semifinal against UNLV. Second place is the 1991 championship game against Kansas. Everything else is competing for third. The contenders include:
1992 ACC Championship -- We laid a 20-point beatdown on UNC (94-74). Good fun.

1997 regular season at Virginia -- The Rick Hartzell game. Crazy clusterf**k by the refs in the closing seconds, then Wojo steps up and nails two clutch free throws for the win.

2000 NCAA second round vs. Kansas -- A tough, tight game. K and Roy started jawing at each other on the sideline at one point. Duke ekes out a five-point win, 69-64.

The entire 2002 ACC Tournament -- None of the games was particularly good, but in beating UNC, Wake Forest, and N.C. State, we pulled off a rare "triple triple" by triple-crowning each of the other three Big Four schools (we'd swept the regular season games against all three).

2015 regular season at Virginia -- The beginning of The Legend of Tyus Stones.

OAD player I wish had stayed another year -- Kyrie. Contenders for second place -- Tyus, Justise, and Luol.

Tripping William
09-28-2017, 01:56 PM
The entire 2002 ACC Tournament -- None of the games was particularly good, but in beating UNC, Wake Forest, and N.C. State, we pulled off a rare "triple triple" by triple-crowning each of the other three Big Four schools (we'd swept the regular season games against all three).

This reminded me of my best non-Cameron Duke game. January 31, 2002, in the Dean Dome. 87-58 Duke (and it really wasn't even that close). Brian Morrison led the Heels with a dozen points, while five Devils scored in double-digits. It was awesomesauce.

Kedsy
09-28-2017, 02:02 PM

You were in the end zone behind Grant when he threw the pass? So was I, pretty much directly behind Grant, about 10 or 11 rows back. What row were you in?

JasonEvans
09-28-2017, 02:28 PM
You were in the end zone behind Grant when he threw the pass? So was I, pretty much directly behind Grant, about 10 or 11 rows back. What row were you in?

Front
Row!!

Courtside seats, baby... courtesy of Gatorade. As I said on the pod, Grant almost stepped on my foot when he threw THE PASS.

Kedsy
09-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Front
Row!!

Courtside seats, baby... courtesy of Gatorade. As I said on the pod, Grant almost stepped on my foot when he threw THE PASS.

Means I was probably looking at the back of your head. Sorry I wasn't paying much attention to you.

sagegrouse
09-28-2017, 03:08 PM

I hear that the section behind Grant's toss at The Spectrum in 1992 was reportedly as crowded as the Mayflower was in 1620. ;)

Kedsy
09-28-2017, 03:19 PM
I hear that the section behind Grant's toss at The Spectrum in 1992 was reportedly as crowded as the Mayflower was in 1620. ;)

Can't tell you. I wasn't on the Mayflower.

Dev11
09-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Can't tell you. I wasn't on the Mayflower.

Sage was, though.