PDA

View Full Version : FB: Miami 31, Duke 6

Bob Green
09-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Duke opens as a 5.5 points underdog. Discuss the game here.

chrishoke
09-24-2017, 06:06 PM
God do we ever owe them. I'm begging Duke fans, please come out and support this fine team. The weather should be perfect.

richardjackson199
09-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Duke opens as a 5.5 points underdog. Discuss the game here.

As has been stated - it's a Friday evening game in Wade, and it could be a huge program-boosting win. Whatever can be done to fill Wally Wade with loud Duke supporters should be done! This team has earned and deserves support. How cool would 5-0 be? Let's find out. Go Duke!

devildeac
09-24-2017, 08:08 PM
As has been stated - it's a Friday evening game in Wade, and it could be a huge program-boosting win. Whatever can be done to fill Wally Wade with loud Duke supporters should be done! This team has earned and deserves support. How cool would 5-0 be? Let's find out. Go Duke!

Will you be getting off work early to join us?

;)

CrazyNotCrazie
09-24-2017, 09:02 PM
This has probably been mentioned before, but of all the days to have a Friday night game, the holiest night of the year for Jews is not ideal. If the game was Saturday afternoon during Yom Kippur I would chalk it up to business as usual but rescheduling to Friday night was not brilliant. That being said, I will be saying a few extra prayers for our guys and rushing home from synagogue to see the end of the game!

CameronBornAndBred
09-24-2017, 10:43 PM
I think being 5.5 point underdogs is a big nod of respect to our guys. Miami is ranked 13th; I was expecting a line closer to 10 points or more. Looking forward to upsetting Vegas once again, but a shout of thanks out west for not expecting a blowout.

budwom
09-25-2017, 08:03 AM
I think being 5.5 point underdogs is a big nod of respect to our guys. Miami is ranked 13th; I was expecting a line closer to 10 points or more. Looking forward to upsetting Vegas once again, but a shout of thanks out west for not expecting a blowout.

Sagarin, factoring in the home field advantage, has us as wee favorites...but I think we're true underdogs...

OldPhiKap
09-25-2017, 08:15 AM
Sagarin, factoring in the home field advantage, has us as wee favorites...but I think we're true underdogs...

The line sounds about right to me.

And I still think we win.

LGD!!!!

TKG
09-25-2017, 09:10 AM
As was/is being discussed in the post-Cheats game thread about our D's propensity for giving up explosive plays, does anyone have insight as to the Canes' QB/WRs/OC tendencies? How real is the risk of our DBs' getting exposed by the Canes' offense?

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2017, 09:30 AM

Sagarin needs to see the crowd at WW, lol. But hopefully things will be different Friday night, we need that stadium packed in blue..there will still be lots of orange and green there.

chrishoke
09-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Sagarin needs to see the crowd at WW, lol. But hopefully things will be different Friday night, we need that stadium packed in blue..there will still be lots of orange and green there.

I sure hope these two guys show up. Sorry I couldn't get the gif to work.

TruBlu
09-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Has the ACC announced the officiating crew for the game? Wouldn't be a total surprise to have the same crew as 2 years ago. Swofford, you know.

As far as attendance, I have skillfully arranged my work schedule to have a morning job lined up for Friday, partially up I-85 from Atlanta. Unless the short job turns to crap, my son and I should be there for kickoff.

devildeac
09-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Cut apologizes for Friday night game/schedule:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article175178341.html

AIRFORCEDUKIE
09-25-2017, 11:02 AM
I'm taking vacation starting Thursday, been thinking about making the trip up from West Palm Beach to see the game. Just trying to tag along or find someone to go with. So far none of my UM friends can make the Friday night start. So I might drive up solo. Having seen Miami play and practice a few times, I think we have a real shot at beating them. They have a monster D-Line that will be pressuring Jones all night, so he needs to get the ball out of his hands quickly, I don't think our O-line can handle these guys. After that they have a really good running game lead by Mark Walton who had a couple game breaking runs last weekend against Toledo one for 45 and the other for 83 I think. Travis Homer can get in the endzone as well put both of those guys together and you have a talented one two punch. Malik Rosier is a bit inexperienced but he just had the best game of his career against Toledo. He threw for 333 yards and 3 TDS with an interception. As always Miami has a lot of speed on the outside at the WR position. All in all I think this will be a tough matchup, but I think Duke is the more disciplined team right now. UM is prone to silly penalties and bone headed mistakes. If Duke can keep it close and not let UM get huge plays I think Duke can win it.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm taking vacation starting Thursday, been thinking about making the trip up from West Palm Beach to see the game. Just trying to tag along or find someone to go with. So far none of my UM friends can make the Friday night start. So I might drive up solo. Having seen Miami play and practice a few times, I think we have a real shot at beating them. They have a monster D-Line that will be pressuring Jones all night, so he needs to get the ball out of his hands quickly, I don't think our O-line can handle these guys. After that they have a really good running game lead by Mark Walton who had a couple game breaking runs last weekend against Toledo one for 45 and the other for 83 I think. Travis Homer can get in the endzone as well put both of those guys together and you have a talented one two punch. Malik Rosier is a bit inexperienced but he just had the best game of his career against Toledo. He threw for 333 yards and 3 TDS with an interception. As always Miami has a lot of speed on the outside at the WR position. All in all I think this will be a tough matchup, but I think Duke is the more disciplined team right now. UM is prone to silly penalties and bone headed mistakes. If Duke can keep it close and not let UM get huge plays I think Duke can win it.

Good analysis. We're gonna need the D-line bringing serious pressure and containing the run, or this could be an uphill battle.

ipatent
09-25-2017, 11:24 AM
This has probably been mentioned before, but of all the days to have a Friday night game, the holiest night of the year for Jews is not ideal. If the game was Saturday afternoon during Yom Kippur I would chalk it up to business as usual but rescheduling to Friday night was not brilliant. That being said, I will be saying a few extra prayers for our guys and rushing home from synagogue to see the end of the game!

Wonder if any players will be sitting this one out.

Bay Area Duke Fan
09-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Wonder if any players will be sitting this one out.

Sandy Koufax.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Walter doesn't roll on Shabbot.

Does stink, and hope that it does not cause any moral qualms with any athletes who also celebrate. But it's like sports on Christmas or Easter -- the sports entertainment complex needs that cash to feed that jones. So the show must go on.

Famous story about Clifford Roberts, long-time tournament director of the Masters. No one messed with Mr. Roberts. One year, the final round was on Easter Sunday and all the leaders were scheduled to tee off early. A CBS executive went to Mr. Roberts, explaining that it was Easter Sunday and a lot of folks might be at church or finishing their family meals. Therefore, couldn't he move the tee times around so the leaders went off later?

"Tell you what," replied Roberts. "You talk to the guy in charge of Easter, and tell him to change his times instead."

Loved, feared and sometimes loathed.

TKG
09-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Love Coach Cut's awareness of the High Holiday and (and am not tying to equate) the impact our game will have on local high school games as well.

Troublemaker
09-25-2017, 03:30 PM
WRT the conflict with Yom Kippur, I'm going to give the schedule-makers the benefit of the doubt and assume they just never considered a college football game to be all that important that it warranted avoiding a conflict. (My bowling league Friday hasn't been canceled or rescheduled, either :-)

Complete one's religious duties, then catch the replay of the game on Watch ESPN or one's DVR. No big deal, imo.

loran16
09-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Back to the game (which I will also miss due to the Holiday, alas):

It's hard to get a read on Miami's statistical profile because it's one FBS game long (but you can find it here: https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-miami-fl-advanced-statistical-profile). That said, it's very much a strength vs strength matchup coming: they rushed for over 9 yards per carry against Toledo, led by Junior Mark Walton. Duke actually contained Walton decently last year, so it'll be interesting to see if they can do that again. Duke's run D, particularly against RBs, has of course been stellar this year, and this will be their big test. Stop Walton (and their 2nd string RB), and Miami's O will be vastly reduced.

Class of '94
09-26-2017, 12:05 PM
God do we ever owe them. I'm begging Duke fans, please come out and support this fine team. The weather should be perfect.

And I am bringing my family with me. There will be at least 5 of us (maybe 1 or 2 more) from my family that will be there Friday night as Wade Wackos to support our Duke football team against the U.

killerleft
09-26-2017, 12:47 PM
And I am bringing my family with me. There will be at least 5 of us (maybe 1 or 2 more) from my family that will be there Friday night as Wade Wackos to support our Duke football team against the U.

Super!! Hope we can get a bunch more folks to commit to attending the game.

Nothing guarantees a win, but you can bet the Duke players would really appreciate a big-time college football atmosphere for a change. I know I would.

Devilwin
09-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Bringing seven with me, and I am leaving for Topsail Island Saturday morning. So if I can make it, others surely can!

Counting down to my retirement...27 days!!!!!:cool:

Bob Green
09-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Tweets from Duke Football from Coach Cutcliffe's radio show:

Duke Football‏Verified account
@DukeFOOTBALL

"When you go on the road and win in the fourth quarter, I believe you grow a lot in that situation," @DavidCutcliffe on Saturday's victory

@DukeFOOTBALL

"There's a reason most people picked Miami to win the Coastal Division, despite not returning a starting quarterback," Cutcliffe on Miami

@DukeFOOTBALL

"I am very appreciative that they are both so unselfish," @DavidCutcliffe on @BrittainBKB & Shaun Wilson in the backfield for @CoachBoyette

Bob Green
09-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Super!! Hope we can get a bunch more folks to commit to attending the game.

I'll be there! But I am always there. :cool:

Bob Green
09-26-2017, 07:42 PM
Chambers is a true freshman...

@DukeFOOTBALL

"@rak_chambers brings something with him that will be lasting at @DukeU. He is poised and smart. He's a natural leader," @DavidCutcliffe

OldPhiKap
09-26-2017, 08:10 PM
I say this every season, so apologize in advance:

Go to GoDuke and watch the press conferences from Coach Cut, Bryon Fields Jr. and Austin Davis. If that doesn't fire you up and make you proud to be a Duke FB fan, I can't help you.

Beat the U. We are on this.

PDDuke85
09-27-2017, 02:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKvOfGJUIAExuey.jpg:large

How 'bout this combo for Friday night.

BandAlum83
09-27-2017, 02:57 PM

That looks way to close to Carolina Blue to me. Is it my screen?

Nike needs to do a much better job of expanding the color palette available for uniforms.

CameronBornAndBred
09-27-2017, 02:59 PM

Nothing says "Duke" like blue and grey! Oh wait...maybe nothing says "UCONN" like blue and grey...
(I like the helmet sticker though.)

BLPOG
09-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Nike needs to do a much better job of expanding the color palette available for uniforms.

Nothing says "Duke" like blue and grey! Oh wait...maybe nothing says "UCONN" like blue and grey...
(I like the helmet sticker though.)

I agree. The grey is lame. We have great school colors. Why not just stick with them?

uh_no
09-27-2017, 03:06 PM

tad on the bright side, but still too much hue to be carolina.

BigWayne
09-27-2017, 03:08 PM
I like the helmet sticker. It's even the right color it seems. Everything else is ghastly.

Stray Gator
09-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Aside from the fact that I think this uniform is unsightly, and features colors (ash and gray) that aren't Duke's school colors, I don't understand why we're not wearing the royal blue (or black, which is only slightly less hideous than the gray IMO) jerseys as the home team. If Duke is going to wear these light ash and gray jerseys, I assume that means the Canes will be wearing their home jerseys (orange or green) on our field Friday night. Even if Duke is contractually obligated to wear these dreadfully dull unis at some point in the season, shouldn't they at least be relegated to an away game or a home game that is played during the heat of the day?

BandAlum83
09-27-2017, 03:24 PM
tad on the bright side, but still too much hue to be carolina.

Nike has had a problem matching the sky blue that the uniforms were back in my college days. Recently, their uniforms have been closer to this blue in the pic. I don't think Nike provides many options in the garment materials they are getting. The carolina blue is darker by shades, and Duke Blue ends up more like navy or too light

OldPhiKap
09-27-2017, 03:32 PM
Injury report released, Brittain Brown and Ben Humphreys both listed as probable.

Dukelogger
09-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Nike has had a problem matching the sky blue that the uniforms were back in my college days. Recently, their uniforms have been closer to this blue in the pic. I don't think Nike provides many options in the garment materials they are getting. the carolina blue is darker by shades, and Duke Blue ends up more like navy or too light

Duke Blue is, specifically, Pantone 287. Our uniforms should consist of 4 items
1. The Pantone 287 helmets with white letters from last Saturday
2. White pants with 2 pantone 287 stripes
3. White jerseys with pantone 287 numbers and letters
4. Pantone 287 jerseys with white letters

Lets keep it simple, we are Duke and we don't need gimmicks ever for anything. (And yes, now you can all get off my lawn!;)

rasputin
09-27-2017, 03:48 PM

Lets keep it simple, we are Duke and we don't need gimmicks ever for anything. (And yes, now you can all get off my lawn!;)

Let's keep it REALLY simple: shirts and skins.

BandAlum83
09-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Nike doesn't do Pantone. Nike provides pre-dyed garment material. There was a lengthy article about this that has been posted out here multiple times.

It also means that university colors across the country are converging to sameness (at least in uniforms)

duke79
09-27-2017, 03:51 PM

Totally agree here ! Let's keep it simple and classy and use "true" Duke colors. Why is that so hard?

PS: I HATE the black uniforms!

English
09-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Nike doesn't do Pantone. Nike provides pre-dyed garment material. There was a lengthy article about this that has been posted out here multiple times.

Yeah, arguing about why we don't just have a home & an away uniform with white-blue or blue-white is a bit like arguing that we should go back to an 8-team conference with a full round robin.

That said, these unis are vile. Gray & dark gray are not school colors.

alteran
09-27-2017, 03:58 PM
I'll be there! But I am always there. :cool:

I look forward to seeing all the people who complain about attendance at the game. :rolleyes:

devildeac
09-27-2017, 04:01 PM
I look forward to seeing all the people who complain about attendance at the game. :rolleyes:

Think they'll attend?

:rolleyes::o

Bob Green
09-27-2017, 04:10 PM
Injury report released, Brittain Brown and Ben Humphreys both listed as probable.

Full report? How about DT Q. Ferguson?

OldPhiKap
09-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Full report? How about DT Q. Ferguson?

I'm going from a report by Arowe. Only lists Humpreys and Brown as probable, with Will Taylor out for the season.

Not sure why he would leave Ferguson out if he was on the list. But again, going from Adam's report.

Bob Green
09-27-2017, 04:23 PM
I'm going from a report by Arowe. Only lists Humpreys and Brown as probable, with Will Taylor out for the season.

Not sure why he would leave Ferguson out if he was on the list. But again, going from Adam's report.

Thanks! Jim Sumner normally posts the full report so I'll wait and see if his post matches Adam's report.

Teton Jack
09-27-2017, 05:04 PM
Yeah, arguing about why we don't just have a home & an away uniform with white-blue or blue-white is a bit like arguing that we should go back to an 8-team conference with a full round robin.

That said, these unis are vile. Gray & dark gray are not school colors.

I have to agree that these uniforms don't say "Duke" in their look. When it comes to the colors, having worked in textiles, you can dye these synthetic fabrics to match most anything.

BandAlum83
09-27-2017, 05:35 PM
I have to agree that these uniforms don't say "Duke" in their look. When it comes to the colors, having worked in textiles, you can dye these synthetic fabrics to match most anything.

Absolutely agree with what you just said, but Nike don't play that. :(

they are strictly high volume and the universities have given in and haven't demanded that the colors match their brands.

BigWayne
09-27-2017, 05:51 PM
Absolutely agree with what you just said, but Nike don't play that. :(

they are strictly high volume and the universities have given in and haven't demanded that the colors match their brands.

Was Nike responsible for the ugly NFL uniforms last week also? Is this just an extension of that plague?

Faison1
09-27-2017, 05:52 PM
Think they'll attend?

:rolleyes::o

As someone who complains about the attendance, yet doesn't show up, I will say:

My Dad, my Brother, my Uncle, and my Aunt will all be there. I will not be there. Wish I was....I think this will be an awesome game on many levels.

MCFinARL
09-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Love Coach Cut's awareness of the High Holiday and (and am not tying to equate) the impact our game will have on local high school games as well.

Based on the linked article, Coach Cut mentioned only the high school games. The reporter brings up Yom Kippur and doesn't state whether Cutcliffe said anything about it.

devildeac
09-27-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks! Jim Sumner normally posts the full report so I'll wait and see if his post matches Adam's report.

That's usually posted on Thursday, IIRC. ;)

devildeac
09-27-2017, 06:08 PM
As someone who complains about the attendance, yet doesn't show up, I will say:

My Dad, my Brother, my Uncle, and my Aunt will all be there. I will not be there. Wish I was...I think this will be an awesome game on many levels.

Family counts, too. Big time.

uh_no
09-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Was Nike responsible for the ugly NFL uniforms last week also? Is this just an extension of that plague?

were I a recruit, they couldn't offer me enough money to wear THAT

jimsumner
09-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Injury report posted today.

Duke Football Injury Report

Duke vs. Miami
September 27, 2017

PROBABLE
RB Brittain Brown (upper body)
LB Ben Humphreys (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON
C Will Taylor (leg)

Bob Green
09-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Injury report posted today.

Duke Football Injury Report

Duke vs. Miami
September 27, 2017

PROBABLE
RB Brittain Brown (upper body)
LB Ben Humphreys (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON
C Will Taylor (leg)

That's a great report!

Chard
09-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Worth a listen. Adam Rowe stops by to chat with Peter Arizona about the Duke Miami game. FF to get to Adam's part.

https://soundcloud.com/user-527391228/vol-79-miami-at-duke-preview

oakvillebluedevil
09-27-2017, 07:26 PM
were I a recruit, they couldn't offer me enough money to wear THAT

After everything going on the basketball world I hope no one is offering you money :)

uh_no
09-27-2017, 07:38 PM
After everything going on the basketball world I hope no one is offering you money :)

Nike offered me a fortune to not wear their shoes in Wilson

arnie
09-27-2017, 07:48 PM
That's a great report!

Yea, resembles our 1994 season. No preseason platitudes, but very few injuries, and Goldsmith was a hero for a season. Hope the lack of injury trend continues.

devildeac
09-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Cut apologizes for Friday night game/schedule:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article175178341.html

Amazing and thankfully short injury report.

richmclean
09-28-2017, 07:30 AM

Look is like practice jerseys. The helmet sticker is hideous and looks like a glob of nothing on TV.

Couldn't be worse unless all black.

killerleft
09-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Hey! I love the globby Blue Devil!

Avvocato
09-28-2017, 08:59 AM

Nothing like having college football to yourself on ESPN on Friday night and breaking out the ugly uniforms. Maybe the plan is to distract Miami and confuse them. If so, well done. Whatever it takes.

Dev11
09-28-2017, 10:49 AM
I'm just here to remind myself which DBR posters are Jewish. Please put your phones away during Kol Nidre.

That injury report looks a lot better than the uniforms.

BLPOG
09-28-2017, 11:05 AM
I'm just here to remind myself which DBR posters are Jewish. Please put your phones away during Kol Nidre.

That injury report looks a lot better than the uniforms.

My nuclear family holds multiple degrees from Duke and Miami. Kol Nidre this year will definitely test their focus.

Billy Dat
09-28-2017, 11:33 AM

If your service is anything like this, you won't be able to tear your eyes away from the bimah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IEDLZayfdU&t=1m53s

cato
09-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Should someone pass around walking sticks that posters can shake at these no-good youngsters who like fresh unis?

Richard Berg
09-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Serious question: when we're forced to wear grey, what does Nike get out of it? Surely the constant changes are more expensive than mass production? Was their ability to dye fabric in question?

budwom
09-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Serious question: when we're forced to wear grey, what does Nike get out of it? Surely the constant changes are more expensive than mass production? Was their ability to dye fabric in question?

Nike had $3.8 billion in net income last year, so I don't think extra mfg. cost matters in the least to them. They get their logo on these unis for a nationally televised game...so publicity is what they get out of it, for whatever that may be worth.

wilson
09-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Nike had $3.8 billion in net income last year, so I don't think extra mfg. cost matters in the least to them. They get their logo on these unis for a nationally televised game...so publicity is what they get out of it, for whatever that may be worth.This. The whole phenomenon started with Oregon, who, through their alum connection with Nike CEO Phil Knight, started turning their football uniforms into basically a laboratory for whatever outlandish concept the Nike people could come up with next. Now, the week-by-week revolving door of uniforms worn by seemingly every major program is nothing more than every team keeping up with all the other Joneses, while Nike gets an ever-burgeoning portfolio of canvases on which to showcase their latest, greatest, flashiest gear, all available at a store near you.

alteran
09-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Nike had $3.8 billion in net income last year, so I don't think extra mfg. cost matters in the least to them. They get their logo on these unis for a nationally televised game...so publicity is what they get out of it, for whatever that may be worth.

Yeah, I'm just going to take a flyer and guess that us old farts complaining about newfangled uniforms both publicizes them, and does not hurt sales.

Dev11
09-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I'm just going to take a flyer and guess that us old farts complaining about newfangled uniforms both publicizes them, and does not hurt sales.

I'm 37*, I'm not old!

grad_devil
09-28-2017, 03:36 PM
I'm 37*, I'm not old!

Hi, Dennis.

Richard Berg
09-28-2017, 05:45 PM
They get their logo on these unis for a nationally televised game...so publicity is what they get out of it, for whatever that may be worth.
Sure, but what does that have to do with redefining school colors?

Who is the marginal customer out there that was on the verge of buying their next jockstrap from Adidas, only to choose Nike because they saw Duke switch from white to grey?

Or perhaps: are off-color limited-edition uniforms considered collectors items? Are they trying to deliberately seed the secondary market?

Indoor66
09-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Maybe they consulted Alexander Julian. He has argyle ideas.

Bob Green
09-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Miami cornerback Malek Young on Duke quarterback Daniel Jones:

“He takes hits. He don’t like to slide and what we’re going to do is—the goal is to get him out the game. Get him out the game and it’s going to be a good game.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article175997696.html

CameronBornAndBred
09-28-2017, 07:57 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article175997696.html

He's a real wanker for saying that.

brickey
09-28-2017, 08:09 PM

Just when I thought I couldn't think less of these guys. I'll bet Diaz was wearing his The Return tee when he offered this quote.

I hope DJ runs (and slides) all over their arses.

brlftz
09-28-2017, 08:12 PM

I'm hoping he's talking about getting his head out of the game. And not literally.

brickey
09-28-2017, 08:17 PM
I'll save you the time. He's not.

killerleft
09-28-2017, 08:20 PM

Sounds like a jackass with not enough respect for his opponent. May the result of the game and his 'match-up' with Jones reflect that, ending with a resounding Duke victory over the candycanes.

Go Duke!

TruBlu
09-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Hopefully, the officials in this game are made aware of this punk's statement about his teams goal, and takes it into account if there are any late hits/cheap shots by him or his teammates. Additionally the ACC should contact the Miami coaching staff to let them know that because of this "plan" of theirs, a very close eye will be kept for any dirty plays.

Aw crap, who am I kidding. The officials can't even get a replay right when it deals with a Duke/Miami football game.:mad:

TNTDevil
09-28-2017, 08:50 PM
Hopefully, the officials in this game are made aware of this punk's statement about his teams goal, and takes it into account if there are any late hits/cheap shots by him or his teammates. Additionally the ACC should contact the Miami coaching staff to let them know that because of this "plan" of theirs, a very close eye will be kept for any dirty plays.

Aw crap, who am I kidding. The officials can't even get a replay right when it deals with a Duke/Miami football game.:mad:Problem is, as it has been for a long <unintelligible> time, that Duke doesn't get any respect from the officiating crews in football. Hell, I remember a hit, at Virginia Tech, on Thad Lewis by a VT DB that I thought killed him. Knocked him out and, obviously, out of the game. No call. And the hit was a good 2-3 steps late.

This needs to change.

OldPhiKap
09-28-2017, 09:14 PM
While this plan or psyche is not usually voiced, I do not think it is unusual in football either.

Anyone think UNC didn't try to do the same thing? Baylor?

It's football, not bean bags.

devildeac
09-28-2017, 10:50 PM

Aw crap, who am I kidding. The officials can't even get a replay right when it deals with a Duke/Miami football game.:mad:

I certainly hope Cut is well aware of these statements coming from this dirtbag and makes his thoughts/opinions know early.

BigWayne
09-28-2017, 11:04 PM

He's getting a bit of feedback on twitter, where he calls himself "Humble Child" (https://twitter.com/search?q=%40MalekYoung)

OZ
09-28-2017, 11:18 PM
Sounds like a jackass with not enough respect for his opponent. May the result of the game and his 'match-up' with Jones reflect that, ending with a resounding Duke victory over the candycanes.

Go Duke!

It's a real shame there is not a penalty for being STUPID!

martydoesntfoul
09-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Maybe they consulted Alexander Julian. He has argyle ideas.Well here's my vote for the most vomi-inducing quote of all time...

Alex, this is Dean Smith. I really like what you did with the design of the Charlotte Hornets uniforms, and I think it’s time for Carolina to change. I think you’re the man for the job.

“Well, I bleed Carolina blue, so this was like receiving a phone call from God asking about new halos for the archangels,” Julian says.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2017, 06:39 AM
Game day!!!

Spanarkel
09-29-2017, 07:30 AM
This sickens me that a player would have the audacity to spew such vitriol and utter lack of sportsmanship, and it's even more sickening that his coach would allow him to suit up.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article175997791.html

Bob Green
09-29-2017, 08:41 AM
This Q & A with Ben Swain is really good:

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2017/9/28/16378730/miami-hurricanes-football-duke-blue-devils-q-a-with-ben-swain-reporter-opinion-prediction-analysis

Julio links to it at the bottom of his front page game article.

martydoesntfoul
09-29-2017, 09:29 AM
From the N&O: “He takes hits. He don’t like to slide and what we’re going to do is—the goal is to get him out the game. Get him out the game and it’s going to be a good game.”

From ESPN: “He takes hits. He don’t like to slide, and what we’re going to do is--the goal is to get him out of the game. Get him out of the game, and it’s going to be a good game.”

In addition to partially correcting his grammar (what are the associated ethics, I wonder), ESPN noted Jones has been sacked 9 times and hit 44 times so far this season. I hope the O Line is on a mission to protect DJ better than ever before.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2017, 09:46 AM
In addition to partially correcting his grammar (what are the associated ethics, I wonder)

When transcribing an oral statement, isn't the placement of commas sort of a perception and personal judgment thing?

As to substance, I'll again say that it is dumb to say this out loud. But the sentiment stated is likely true for almost every defense in football. Knocking out the opposing QB is part of the game. Whether they do it cleanly, or not, may be another.

Troublemaker
09-29-2017, 09:55 AM
This sickens me that a player would have the audacity to spew such vitriol and utter lack of sportsmanship, and it's even more sickening that his coach would allow him to suit up.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article175997791.html

He probably received this game strategy from the coaches, though.

Tripping William
09-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Knocking out the opposing QB is part of the game.

Spoken in an Al Davis voice impersonation? That's how I heard it, anyway, in different words to this effect (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Y15enatqg).

left_hook_lacey
09-29-2017, 10:05 AM
When transcribing an oral statement, isn't the placement of commas sort of a perception and personal judgment thing?

As to substance, I'll again say that it is dumb to say this out loud. But the sentiment stated is likely true for almost every defense in football. Knocking out the opposing QB is part of the game. Whether they do it cleanly, or not, may be another.

This. There's a reason teams are heralded for being able to "lay the wood". It's their job. They hit as hard as they can for a reason. Trying to put the quarterback in the dirt as hard and often as possible is the name of the game. Of course, one would hope their goal is to do it cleanly and not dirty cheap shots. Clean? Part of the game and should be the goal. Dirty? Eject them and suspend.

atoomer0881
09-29-2017, 10:11 AM
From the N&O: “He takes hits. He don’t like to slide and what we’re going to do is—the goal is to get him out the game. Get him out the game and it’s going to be a good game.”

From ESPN: “He takes hits. He don’t like to slide, and what we’re going to do is--the goal is to get him out of the game. Get him out of the game, and it’s going to be a good game.”

In addition to partially correcting his grammar (what are the associated ethics, I wonder), ESPN noted Jones has been sacked 9 times and hit 44 times so far this season. I hope the O Line is on a mission to protect DJ better than ever before.

I think the correction to grammar that martydoesntfoul was referring to was correcting "get him out the game" to "get him out of the game," not the placement of the comma.

dukebluesincebirth
09-29-2017, 10:11 AM
This. There's a reason teams are heralded for being able to "lay the wood". It's their job. They hit as hard as they can for a reason. Trying to put the quarterback in the dirt as hard and often as possible is the name of the game. Of course, one would hope their goal is to do it cleanly and not dirty cheap shots. Clean? Part of the game and should be the goal. Dirty? Eject them and suspend.

I agree. The concern is that it's Miami. Have they ever done anything cleanly? Laundering money doesn't count:)

martydoesntfoul
09-29-2017, 10:21 AM
I think the correction to grammar that martydoesntfoul was referring to was correcting "get him out the game" to "get him out of the game," not the placement of the comma.Correct!!

BandAlum83
09-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Go Duke!!!

OldPhiKap
09-29-2017, 10:42 AM
I think the correction to grammar that martydoesntfoul was referring to was correcting "get him out the game" to "get him out of the game," not the placement of the comma.

Thanks, did not see that.

atoomer0881
09-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks, did not see that.

No problem! I'll admit, it took me a few times to catch it as well haha

sagegrouse
09-29-2017, 11:18 AM

Back in the good old days, local newspapers almost always corrected the grammar of the people they interviewed. It was a policy of the newsroom. ESPN is taking a shot at Malek Young by not fixing his quote -- good!

cato
09-29-2017, 11:19 AM

Of course, omitting "of" is a very common thing, and a perfectly correct way of speaking in many situations. Like interviews where one is talking about injuring opposing football players.

cato
09-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Back in the good old days, local newspapers almost always corrected the grammar of the people they interviewed. It was a policy of the newsroom. ESPN is taking a shot at Malek Young by not fixing his quote -- good!

Thankfully, prescriptivists no longer control as many institutions as they once did.

rasputin
09-29-2017, 11:42 AM

Nowadays, the local newspapers (not to mention the TV talking heads) don't know enough about grammar to make corrections anyway.

Indoor66
09-29-2017, 12:23 PM
Nowadays, the local newspapers (not to mention the TV talking heads) don't know enough about grammar to make corrections anyway.

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have the correct response above!:cool:

AtlDuke72
09-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Of course, omitting "of" is a very common thing, and a perfectly correct way of speaking in many situations. Like interviews where one is talking about injuring opposing football players.

When is the last time you saw an athletes quote include all of the "you know" comments which is in almost every sentence in a lot of interviews?

BandAlum83
09-29-2017, 02:35 PM
May I leave work now and start the pregame?

DangerDevil
09-29-2017, 02:43 PM

I don't know what goes into the ESPN Football Power Index, but it gives a 55% chance of winning.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937479

-bdbd
09-29-2017, 03:13 PM
You just KNOW that some MIA fans will show up in those pathetic, totally un-self-aware tee-shirts, with the caption "The Play" at the top, with a diagram of the route the ball took...

I am really hoping some clever Duke fans have prepared a response -- either in tee-shirt form or poster form. I'd like to see a Duke fan in a tee with "the Play" mimicked across the top too. Except, instead of the play diagrammed it (or a similar poster) would have pictures of the various fouls that went uncalled -- the MIA player with his knee on the ground still holding the ball, the two bad clipping non-calls, etc.

Come'on - somebody get creative!

;)

uh_no
09-29-2017, 03:28 PM
You just KNOW that some MIA fans will show up in those pathetic, totally un-self-aware tee-shirts, with the caption "The Play" at the top, with a diagram of the route the ball took...

I am really hoping some clever Duke fans have prepared a response -- either in tee-shirt form or poster form. I'd like to see a Duke fan in a tee with "the Play" mimicked across the top too.

eh. i'd prefer we ignore it.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Best revenge is the score board tonight. LGD!!!

gam7
09-29-2017, 03:46 PM

I am really hoping some clever Duke fans have prepared a response -- either in tee-shirt form or poster form. I'd like to see a Duke fan in a tee with "the Play" mimicked across the top too. Except, instead of the play diagrammed it (or a similar poster) would have pictures of the various fouls that went uncalled -- the MIA player with his knee on the ground still holding the ball, the two bad clipping non-calls, etc.

Come'on - somebody get creative!

;)

A t-shirt that says "The Play" and shows a diagram of the flow of illegal payments to athletes.

peloton
09-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Let's do this! Go Blue Devils!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2017, 04:33 PM
150 minutes! Let's go Duke!

killerleft
09-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Go Duke!

mattman91
09-29-2017, 06:31 PM
Do we get chat tonight? I already paid for the Zima.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Some actions can't be undone, Matt.

riverside6
09-29-2017, 07:03 PM
Advanced live stats and play analysis for Duke/Miami here...

https://www.scacchoops.com/miami-at-duke-football-live-stats-09292017

mattman91
09-29-2017, 07:04 PM
more posters in this forum than people at Wallace Wade.

brevity
09-29-2017, 07:07 PM

DBR Chat: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

rsvman
09-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Big mistake not going for the points there, imo.

killerleft
09-29-2017, 07:19 PM
more posters in this forum than people at Wallace Wade.
No. No.

-jk
09-29-2017, 07:19 PM
DBR Chat is open (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox)! Please follow the posting guidelines.

-jk

WakeDevil
09-29-2017, 07:23 PM
Game. Set. Match. Duke fizzles. Miami sizzles. Just telling it as it is. They needed a score.

Acymetric
09-29-2017, 07:27 PM
What the hell with these 3rd and short passes? Not fooling anybody.

Sixthman
09-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Horrible offensive play calling by Duke.

Sixthman
09-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Duke is a no show so far

duke09hms
09-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Horrible offensive play calling by Duke.

Cut is great but that's what happens when our OCs learn on the job. First Scottie now Roper.

dukebluesincebirth
09-29-2017, 07:35 PM
What the hell with these 3rd and short passes? Not fooling anybody.

Exactly. Run the ball! Don't be afraid!

dukelifer
09-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Duke is a no show so far

Miami came to play. They are very skilled

duke09hms
09-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Exactly. Run the ball! Don't be afraid!

Roper ball: Average 5yds per rush. Call shotgun play on 4th and inches.

Troublemaker
09-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Game. Set. Match. Duke fizzles. Miami sizzles. Just telling it as it is. They needed a score.

The end of half against UNC was more deflating than not scoring on that first drive. But, the problem is Miami is much better than UNC and maybe much better than Duke.

duke09hms
09-29-2017, 07:46 PM
Can someone call CPS for our DBs?

Cheetahs lolz

arnie
09-29-2017, 07:47 PM
But, the problem is Miami is much better than UNC and maybe much better than Duke.

Sure looks that way early. Remarkable throws and catches along sidelines.

WakeDevil
09-29-2017, 07:47 PM
I am impressed with this man coverage.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2017, 07:49 PM
I like our offense. A few penalties hurt. Need a big defensive stop to play a little catch up.

JNort
09-29-2017, 07:57 PM

Always amazed at how many stupid things get said in game chats...

WakeDevil
09-29-2017, 08:13 PM
What a great route. Was that supposed to be a curl?

WakeDevil
09-29-2017, 08:16 PM
Always amazed at how many stupid things get said in game chats...

This is the game thread. Why don't you head to the chat room?

Miami is about to score again after a poorly run route. I could see this coming after the first drive. They ain't the Tar Holes.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2017, 08:36 PM
We have played well. Penalties have been painful. Tripping on our own, um, manhood here. Tough call with the FG at the end of the half. Would have been great to get seven, nice to get three, horrid to strike out.

ipatent
09-29-2017, 08:42 PM
How does one get to the chat room?

mattman91
09-29-2017, 08:43 PM
How does one get to the chat room?

Pay entry fee of one Zima

Or just use this link

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

Avvocato
09-29-2017, 08:54 PM
Defense settled down and had a big stand before the half. Need to prevent points out of the half. Offensively, we can move the ball. Not sure why we're not running more. It's there for us. We need to be more committed to it. We also can't throw screens and quick outs every play. Miami is sitting on that. If we are going to throw you have to challenge them. Let's get our big boy pants on, run the ball more, challenge them and see where we go. We are moving the ball then killing ourselves with penalties, poor play calling and stupid mistakes. Defense kept us in the game after a rough start. Let's get a stop, get some points, and go get it.

Papa John
09-29-2017, 09:11 PM
Zebras have missed 2 obvious PI calls, one which led to Jones' interception and 3 points for Miami, and one which just negated a huge gain on that last drive. Miami defender was handy on the receiver before the ball arrived (granted, Jones did float it a tad too much) and never even looked back to the ball. Not sure why the laundry hasn't come out more against the Miami secondary...

Tripping William
09-29-2017, 09:12 PM
Mr. Football is making me ill .....

duke09hms
09-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Can we try to get Roper a HC position at some tiny college please. Might be the only way to "fire" him.

Papa John
09-29-2017, 09:31 PM
These officials have no idea what pass interference is... That wasn't... The Miami guy with his arms around Rahming on 4th down was. Pathetic. Get these guys a rule book.

duke09hms
09-29-2017, 09:34 PM
Ok Gary Trent and other duke bb freshmen. Your laundry duties are relieved. Roper and the fb offense got it.
Why are we forcing passes with mediocre WRs who can't get separation. When we have 2 great RBs who are running at will.

Papa John
09-29-2017, 09:37 PM
Ok Gary Trent and other duke bb freshmen. Your laundry duties are relieved. Roper and the fb offense got it.
Why are we forcing passes with mediocre WRs who can't get separation. When we have 2 great RBs who are running at will.

Actually, it was a good play call and should have been a first down. The throw was perfect and would have been caught had the defender not been holding Rahming's arm before the ball arrived. It should have been flagged for a first down.

AtlDuke72
09-29-2017, 09:37 PM
These officials have no idea what pass interference is... That wasn't... The Miami guy with his arms around Rahming on 4th down was. Pathetic. Get these guys a rule book.

They also have trouble with laterals. First play of half should have been a Duke touchdown.

rsvman
09-29-2017, 09:38 PM

Precisely. Also, it wasn't anywhere near being a catchable ball.

duke09hms
09-29-2017, 09:41 PM
Actually, it was a good play call and should have been a first down. The throw was perfect and would have been caught had the defender not been holding Rahming's arm before the ball arrived. It should have been flagged for a first down.

Disagree. We're averaging just under 5yd/rush. Our WRs struggle for separation and Rahming is too small to compete for balls thrown in traffic.

Complaining about refs is not the Duke way. Put your players in the best position to succeed. Make the play. Or not.

ChrisP
09-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Rahming has had 3 balls hit him squarely in the hands that he's dropped. All three were potentially huge plays. Dude has got to haul in stuff like that.

Papa John
09-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Disagree. We're averaging just under 5yd/rush. Our WRs struggle for separation and Rahming is too small to compete for balls thrown in traffic.

Complaining about refs is not the Duke way. Put your players in the best position to succeed. Make the play. Or not.

It was a good play call. It was pass intereference. I suppose you didn't complain about the 2015 lateral play that cost us the last home game against Miami. Sometimes, officials aren't on their game. This crew is simply not sharp. I call em as I see em.

Also, this is a very good Miami team. We're playing well. Stop whining about the coaching. They've made a few poor play calls on offense. The one you're citing here was not one of them.

duke09hms
09-29-2017, 09:48 PM
It was a good play call. It was pass intereference. I suppose you didn't complain about the 2015 lateral play that cost us the last home game against Miami. Sometimes, officials aren't on their game. This crew is simply not sharp. I call em as I see em.

Did you think the 4th and 1, 3rd and 1 plays from shotgun were good playcalls too?

Given the way the game has been called this far, would you rely on the officials to protect your smallest WR going for a contested ball in traffic? Or maybe you adjust, seeing your backs have been running on Miami all game long.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2017, 09:50 PM
Raise your hand if you thought defense would hold and offense would sag?

Sixthman
09-29-2017, 09:55 PM
If you are at the game you now how fair it is to say that on a night when everything was alligned for a great fan experience and big game for Duke, the Devils did not show up. Not a single big hit by the defense, uninspired offensive play calling, and we have made more mistakes than one of the most mistake prone teams in the country. I love Duke football, but this is no fun.

eddiehaskell
09-29-2017, 10:00 PM
Can't even get a field goal in the 2nd half? Darn.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2017, 10:02 PM
Okay. So, we aren't that good. No shame. Wish our offense showed that first quarter promise.

Papa John
09-29-2017, 10:02 PM
Did you think the 4th and 1, 3rd and 1 plays from shotgun were good playcalls too?

Um, yeah. That's our offense, dude. We run a zone read look out of a shotgun or pistol formation. I take it you don't watch much Duke football? Again, the ball should have been caught or a flag thrown, either resulting in a first down. The play call was fine. The official failed to throw the flag. It happens.

Okay. So, we aren't that good. No shame. Wish our offense showed that first quarter promise.

This Miami team could break into the top 10 soon, and will be interesting to see if they beat FSU (I think they will... FSU is a wounded animal right now). We're good, but they're clearly better. No shame in that.

duke09hms
09-29-2017, 10:08 PM
Um, yeah. That's our offense, dude. We run a zone read look out of a shotgun or pistol formation. I take it you don't watch much Duke football? Again, the ball should have been caught or a flag thrown, either resulting in a first down. The play call was fine. The official failed to throw the flag. It happens.

I'm sorry are you defending shotgun pass plays from 4th and 1 when our run game was chewing up 5+ yds/rush af the time. This is not merely a 1-time occurrence either. This is all game.

Please don't make this guy assistant WRs coach of defensive strategy. Cut will make him OC in about 2 rounds of promotions.

Papa John
09-29-2017, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry.

Apology accepted. Perhaps you should relax and enjoy a glass of bourbon or scotch. My treat if ever we meet. We can laugh and argue about inane things like 4th down play calls over some good whiskey.

(And as I type this, the spectacular officiating crew fails to flag Miami for too many men on the field... 5 extra guys not yet to the sideline when the ball was snapped... comical. Clearly, there's just something about Miami at Duke, I guess... ;) )

AustinDevil
09-29-2017, 10:17 PM
My god, these refs.

eddiehaskell
09-29-2017, 10:26 PM
Disgusting. Looks like a top 40-50 team playing a top 10 team. I guess just looking at "4-0" and really wanting that elite break out season can get your hopes up.

weezie
09-29-2017, 10:27 PM
Oh man. Sadness.

dukelifer
09-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Disgusting. Looks like a top 40-50 team playing a top 10 team. I guess just looking at "4-0" and really wanting that elite break out season can get your hopes up.

Still can have a good season- need to play better next week

TKG
09-29-2017, 10:46 PM
Attended the game and the U has faster athletes. Their WRs could run past our corners so easily that we could not run man-to-man. When we played help over the top with our Safeties, Miami would go to their next option which was one of their RBs against one of our LBs- no contest in terms of speed. On D, they put pressure on DJ using only a three to four man rush most of the time. DJ was under siege. While we can complain all we want about the refs and the aggressive play by Miami's secondary, our receivers could create no separation. Our O line needs a lot of work in pass protection.

Tough one for the good guys. Hope we have a good film review tomorrow; learn from this first loss and rebound with a nice win in Charlottesville.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
09-29-2017, 10:58 PM
It seems to me we lack the good receiver who,can make the catch in traffic. We have no Vernon, Varner or Crowder. Their receivers seem to catch everything thrown their way. I hope to see a healthy Bracey for UVA.

brickey
09-29-2017, 11:00 PM
Attended the game and the U has faster athletes. Their WRs could run past our corners so easily that we could not run man-to-man. When we played help over the top with our Safeties, Miami would go to their next option which was one of their RBs against one of our LBs- no contest in terms of speed. On D, they put pressure on DJ using only a three to four man rush most if the time. DJ was under siege. While we can complain all we want about the refs and the aggressive play by Miami's secondary, our receivers could create no separation. Our O line needs a lot of work.

Tough one for good guys. Hope we have a good film review tomorrow; leave from this first loss and rebound with a nice win in Charlottesville.

From my living room in the Bay Area, my takeaway is much the same. I do think we could have adjusted to how the refs were calling pass coverage --blatantly wrong and often to the disadvantage of our undersized receiver, but at least consistent-- by incorporating more designed runs for Daniel.

While the better team won, the final score was grossly misleading. We were competitive for most of this game, which is what I hope our boys remember from it.

Shame we drew a crew that decided to let CBs (and LBs) drape and hold without facing the ball...in a game where I expected at least top-notch officiating to make up for 2015. Not that it decided the outcome, but some of those non-calls were momentum killers.

jv001
09-29-2017, 11:09 PM
From my living room in the Bay Area, my takeaway is much the same. I do think we could have adjusted to how the refs were calling pass coverage --blatantly wrong and often to the disadvantage of our undersized receiver, but at least consistent-- by incorporating more designed runs for Daniel.

While the better team won, the final score was grossly misleading. We were competitive for most of this game, which is what I hope our boys remember from it.

Shame we drew a crew that decided to let CBs (and LBs) drape and hold without facing the ball...in a game where I expected at least top-notch officiating to make up for 2015. Not that it decided the outcome, but some of those non-calls were momentum killers.

It's still a good season, we beat the cheats at their home field. Miami is now well coached and I'm afraid we'll see a big improvement with that program. Let's take care of business in Charlottesville and as Coach K would say, Next Play! GoDuke!

Dukehky
09-29-2017, 11:16 PM
Jones has not played well since NW, we've won games, but he hasn't looked like who we expect him to be. The WRs haven't helped much either. They are really small, have had lots of drops (except Lloyd) and don't make many tough catches. The TEs were supposed to be a strength of this team, but they've suffered from drops as well, and have to stay in line to help chip because the line hasn't been able to protect as well as I think we thought they may be able to.

Our running backs are really good. I think we probably should have stayed with Wilson a little more (unless he got hurt?). Our defense is legit. Especially our run defense. That TD pass in the first quarter was just an absolute dime, hard to defend that.

Good news is, there is a lot of room for the offense to get better. Not sure why Chambers hasn't been playing, but he got back on the field, and Bracey got a lot of run tonight. Those guys, if they can push Taylor and Young, would probably put Rahming in the slot where he is best suited.

I think our offense can and should look better. Disappointing effort tonight to say the least. All eyes on us, undefeated, against a well known program and a good team, at home, crowd was great at the beginning of the game, really big, then we don't get that 4th and 1 and nothing went right the rest of the game.

I thought Zach Roper was really bad tonight. Need to get this UVA win on Saturday.

"Don't ever forget how important it is to be able to count to six."

-Cut

DU82
It was clearly Nike's fault. Burn those fugly uniforms. (Keep the cannolis.)

60sDukie
Can we please burn the gray unis?

duke79
09-29-2017, 11:17 PM
Very simple...superior football players and better athletes. That almost always wins football games. We're just not at the stage (yet) where we can compete with top 10 or 15 teams.

On a more positive note, Duke ranked 5th in country in the latest Wall Street Journal rating of colleges and universities......ahead of BOTH Yale AND Princeton! And tied for number 1 in the country (with Harvard!) in the most important (in their opinion) category of "outcomes". See the September 27 WSJ.

sagegrouse
09-29-2017, 11:19 PM
It's still a good season, we beat the cheats at their home field. Miami is now well coached and I'm afraid we'll see a big improvement with that program. Let's take care of business in Charlottesville and as Coach K would say, Next Play! GoDuke!

Yes, well coached. The Miami team from two years ago (ugh!) was the worst-coached team I had ever seen: mental mistakes, physical mistakes, penalties. The players were so out of shape they were faking leg cramps on every play of Duke's last drive. I am sorry to see the improvement.

brickey
09-29-2017, 11:25 PM
Thanks to those who supported throughout in-person. The crowd sounded loud and engaged.

Kudos too to all who endured ESPN's coverage; we were not only subject to replays of and interviews about The Return (with nary a remark about controversy or the ACC's apology), but we also had to listen to 3+ hours of Mack Brown commentary. Len Elmore would have been fairer and likely more insightful.

duke79
09-29-2017, 11:27 PM
Can we please burn the gray unis?

Yea, HATE the gray uniforms........why does Nike decide the uniform that Duke wears?

TKG
09-29-2017, 11:43 PM
Yea, HATE the gray uniforms....why does Nike decide the uniform that Duke wears?

It is part of the sponsorship agreement with Nike. In return for $$$ they can "suggest" uniforms to be worn. The basketball team played in all grays a couple of years ago.

Atldukie79
09-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Observations:
Miami is for real. Hi talent level.
Offense:
- Our tackles are getting abused on the pass rush. We did not handle the blitz well.
- Our receivers had trouble getting separation.
- Given the above, our QB held the ball and was sacked/hit too often.
- No long pass threat under these circumstances.
- Jones looked a bit stunned as time and again he targeted a guy that was draped by defenders or threw it away. Many passes hit our receivers but they could not hang on.
Defense:
- Strong after the 14 points scored early.
- Started to gamble more late and Miami was uncanny in their ability to hit the long play as we blitzed.

devildeac
09-30-2017, 12:09 AM
Apology accepted. Perhaps you should relax and enjoy a glass of bourbon or scotch. My treat if ever we meet. We can laugh and argue about inane things like 4th down play calls over some good whiskey.

(And as I type this, the spectacular officiating crew fails to flag Miami for too many men on the field... 5 extra guys not yet to the sideline when the ball was snapped... comical. Clearly, there's just something about Miami at Duke, I guess... ;) )

My god, these refs.

So, it wasn't just our group in section 19 and several other thousand fans in attendance who were in disagreement with multiple no calls this evening:rolleyes:. Our performance tonight was rather flawed but a few blatant PI calls that were ignored might have made it more competitive.

PDDuke85
09-30-2017, 12:48 AM
So, it wasn't just our group in section 19 and several other thousand fans in attendance who were in disagreement with multiple no calls this evening:rolleyes:. Our performance tonight was rather flawed but a few blatant PI calls that were ignored might have made it more competitive.

A few ignored PI's. A few ignored holds. This crew however, revealed their true incompetent selves, late, in meaningless time, by ignoring the several U players unable to get off the field in time.

That said, in this game, the better team, tonight, won. Now, back to work and ensure the U doesn't beat us twice. Time to pound UVA!

OZ
09-30-2017, 01:34 AM
Quick thoughts.... just got home from game

- Good enthusiastic crowd (for a while)... Good to see student section packed... West side fuller than I have seen in a long time
- When you are building a program and want to attract a following; and you are playing in a nationally televised game..in front of a large crowd...in an important game...you have to play better than that! Really disappointing.
- Ugly...ugly uniforms... I have no idea how Jones found his receivers... a night game and gray unis?
- Ugly officiating...I'm leaving it at that
- Ugly offensive play calling
- Bad start for defense, but they made adjustments... It is really difficult to keep stopping a team as talented as Miami when you can't get off the field (and you just played a tough game on Saturday)
- Offense never made adjustments... Jones was hurried all night... When he wasn't under duress, the receivers were either covered...dropped the ball...or were held (PI never called until Cut raised hell with a few minutes left.. Idiot refs went right out and called a meaningless PI on Miami). Jones also had more than a few poorly thrown passes
- We have two good backs...Miami had obviously decided to take away DJ game and they did. The result was WE COULD RUN... Somehow our O coordinators couldn't see that!
- Continued red zone struggles
- Gorgeous weather... zero wind
- Did I mention those gosh awful uniforms?

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 07:05 AM
That was an old fashion butt whooping.

Our offense never established a rhythm. We did not string good plays together to sustain drives. Penalties killed us. From my vantage point, in the cheap seats, it appeared we should have run the ball more.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2017, 07:49 AM
That was an old fashion butt whooping.

Our offense never established a rhythm. We did not string good plays together to sustain drives. Penalties killed us. From my vantage point, in the cheap seats, it appeared we should have run the ball more.

We seemed to have great success with mixing it up with runs in the first quarter. I would give Miami credit for taking that away, but I rarely saw us attempt anything like the hurry up, varied offense in the second half.

Sobering game. We have lots to work on and three tough games ahead out of the next four. Hope we don't come out the other side at .500

moonpie23
09-30-2017, 08:30 AM
ruff night...miami is legit.. jones looked a bit rattled....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2017, 08:37 AM
ruff night...miami is legit.. jones looked a bit rattled...

Watching Jones play makes me nervous. I wish he didn't play like he was the biggest guy on the field. He always looks like he is about one play from an injury that would take him off the field for a game or two.

I think "rattled" is right. The precision he had early in the game faded quickly. I can only remember one or two deep balls, and they weren't on point.

He is a good QB and getting generally better. I hope we can keep him in games.

johnb
09-30-2017, 08:41 AM
I'm in the minority, but I don't view this as a typical 31-6 blow out. We were in position to pull it out until midway through the 4th quarter. Yeah, Miami has a few NFL players, and they are difference makers, but our guys looked big, fast, and effective. We didn't back down. We moved on their defense, and we often stopped their offense. There were mistakes made, and we didn't finalize, but some of that is because Miami is very good. I was disappointed by the final score, but it woulda coulda been much closer if a few breaks had gone our way. Having lived through the Long Dismal Years, I'm still thrilled that our team looks like a legitimate Power 5 contender.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Here is a reddit link about the "turnover chain" Miami has chosen to flaunt this year. Nothing we didn't see last night (unfortunately) but some of the comments are pretty amusing. YMMV (https://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comments/73buum/_/)

Indoor66
09-30-2017, 09:14 AM
I thought the first series of downs ending with no points was the turning point. I would have taken 3.

Devil549
09-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Tough game and Miami better team last night...plain and simple. The DUKE OL is average and ironically we might have the best DL in the Cut era.

WRs are average b/c OL being average our TEs cannot be utilized like they should. I really think our DBs are not as bad as they looked last night but maybe I am wrong.

IIRC Miami picked by most to win Coastal and they looked the part last night. They were the most disciplined Miami team I have seen lately.

It is one game we all want to win them all cannot do that now so let's beat UVA.

sagegrouse
09-30-2017, 09:38 AM
Tough game and Miami better team last night...plain and simple. The DUKE OL is average and ironically we might have the best DL in the Cut era.

WRs are average b/c OL being average our TEs cannot be utilized like they should. I really think our DBs are not as bad as they looked last night but maybe I am wrong.

IIRC Miami picked by most to win Coastal and they looked the part last night. They were the most disciplined Miami team I have seen lately.

It is one game we all want to win them all cannot do that now so let's beat UVA.
Agree about how good Miami looked. I thought we showed up with a hangover from our emotional win over UNC. We may also have been unimpressed with Miami's performance vs. Toledo and Bethune-Cookman.

Troublemaker
09-30-2017, 09:58 AM
I'm in the minority, but I don't view this as a typical 31-6 blow out. We were in position to pull it out until midway through the 4th quarter. Yeah, Miami has a few NFL players, and they are difference makers, but our guys looked big, fast, and effective. We didn't back down. We moved on their defense, and we often stopped their offense. There were mistakes made, and we didn't finalize, but some of that is because Miami is very good. I was disappointed by the final score, but it woulda coulda been much closer if a few breaks had gone our way. Having lived through the Long Dismal Years, I'm still thrilled that our team looks like a legitimate Power 5 contender.

I agree we weren't completely outclassed. It was more that for 60 minutes, they leaned on a few noticeable advantages -- the fact that we didn't have receivers who could separate or make tough catches, and they did, for example -- to eventually create a blowout score. But most of our "two deep" could compete with most of their "two deep".

Dukehky
09-30-2017, 10:06 AM
I agree we weren't completely outclassed. It was more that for 60 minutes, they leaned on a few noticeable advantages -- the fact that we didn't have receivers who could separate or make tough catches, and they did, for example -- to eventually create a blowout score. But most of our "two deep" could compete with most of their "two deep".

If Jones doesn't under throw Rahming in the 3rd quarter, that's a touchdown and makes the score 17-13 and a totally different game. That's not how it went down, but until 82 got that big play, I honestly thought we were going to pull something together and win the game.

75Crazie
09-30-2017, 10:41 AM
It is part of the sponsorship agreement with Nike. In return for $$$ they can "suggest" uniforms to be worn. The basketball team played in all grays a couple of years ago.
Really good timing, the week of a major scandal involving a shoe company's relationship with college athletics, and which appears ready to bleed over to Nike, to demonstrate to a national audience that the soul of our school is owned by a shoe company.

ipatent
09-30-2017, 11:14 AM
I think our kids played hard. The defense kept the team within striking distance for a while after the early big plays, which were not badly defended. They converted on such plays, and our offense couldn't.

Red zone offense is an issue for this team. Fix that and they can compete with the likes of Miami.

DukePA
09-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Thanks to those who supported throughout in-person. The crowd sounded loud and engaged.

Kudos too to all who endured ESPN's coverage; we were not only subject to replays of and interviews about The Return (with nary a remark about controversy or the ACC's apology), but we also had to listen to 3+ hours of Mack Brown commentary. Len Elmore would have been fairer and likely more insightful.

As I endured ESPN's coverage and commentary, I kept thinking, why does Mack Brown pronounce Duke with a long "u"? Worse than nails on a chalkboard because he triggered nasty memories of growing up in Orange County, NC where even the youngest cheats pronounced Duke the way Brown does so they could rhyme it with puke. Vile.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2017, 11:20 AM
I endured ESPN's coverage and commentary. I kept thinking, why does Mack Brown pronounce Duke with a long "u"? Worse than nails on a chalkboard because he triggered nasty memories of growing up in Orange County, NC where even the youngest cheats pronounced Duke the way Brown does so they could rhyme it with puke. Vile.

Based on my experience last night watching the game with MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor), UNC fans hold even more dislike for Mack Brown than we do.

AustinDevil
09-30-2017, 11:21 AM

And for the record, I completely agree with those also commenting that Miami definitely earned and deserved the win. That didn't make the multiple horrific spots and non-called PI penalties any easier to take.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2017, 11:25 AM
And for the record, I completely agree with those also commenting that Miami definitely earned and deserved the win. That didn't make the multiple horrific spots and non-called PI penalties any easier to take.

We also shot ourselves in the foot with some really tough penalties that were tough to overcome.

Miami was the better team last night. Congrats to them.

YmoBeThere
09-30-2017, 11:56 AM
So all that talk a few weeks ago about Daniel Jones to the NFL seems a little premature now doesn't it? He is an incredibly good player but teams have made adjustments. He will have to do likewise.

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 12:23 PM
So all that talk a few weeks ago about Daniel Jones to the NFL seems a little premature now doesn't it? He is an incredibly good player but teams have made adjustments. He will have to do likewise.

Speaking of adjustments, the coaching staff needs to reflect on our passing game because it is broke. Last night we recorded 166 yards on 42 pass attempts for 3.95 yards per attempt. Those numbers are not going to cut it. Serious adjustments are in order.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Speaking of adjustments, the coaching staff needs to reflect on our passing game because it is broke. Last night we recorded 166 yards on 42 pass attempts for 3.95 yards per attempt. Those numbers are not going to cut it. Serious adjustments are in order.

Yes. Jones is a solid talent, but for whatever reason, he made several pretty poor throws last night. The interception was pretty flukey, but there were several instances in which we were fortunate not to have lost possession.

Also, anyone who was paying closer attention at the moment - WTF was the weird Miami -1 yard punt about? It didn't look like we got a hand on it.

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Also, anyone who was paying closer attention at the moment - WTF was the weird Miami -1 yard punt about? It didn't look like we got a hand on it.

From my end zone seat, it appeared he kicked it off the side of his foot.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2017, 12:41 PM
From my end zone seat, it appeared he kicked it off the side of his foot.

I just wasn't sure if we could claim credit for it. All I could tell is that it was a missed opportunity of unearned field position.

I see a lot of reasons to be optimistic about this teams moving forward. We have some promising pieces in place. But we have some tough games coming up. It we can get out the other end 6-3, we could finish strong and have a very memorable season.

johnb
09-30-2017, 01:10 PM

I agree that Miami looked terrific--and they were disciplined. There were several times they could have really hit Jones at the end of a play, for example, and they generally pulled up.

Just to pick a nit: I guess our OL is "average," if we're talking about the expectations for a team that is one of the best 40 teams in college football.

Put another way, our "average" OL was stout enough that we maintained possession most of the time (33 minutes), made more first downs (24-19), and trailed in total yards (409-349) only because of yards they racked up when the game was decided. I'll agree that we got beat, and that Miami would be favored in a 4/7 series, but I really didn't see a huge difference between the schools in terms of talent. This is impressive given that I count 23 guys on their team who were rated 4 star players while in high school--and that's just from the last 3 years (according to 247, which I think is fairly strict about giving 4 stars). I think our players are reminders that a) our coaching staff is terrific at picking talent, b) that we are successful at recruitment and c) the coaches coach well, the trainers train well, and the players play hard.

Yeah, their DL was excellent, as was their freshman cornerback on Rahming, and their overall defense was very stingy when we got to the red zone, and Jones didn't always look like Peyton Manning, and, obviously, the coaching staff isn't going to stress moral victories in a 4 touchdown loss against any team short of the Patriots, but I'm feeling pretty good about the rest of the season.

OZ
09-30-2017, 01:15 PM

Two factors seemed to be in place last night...

1. Jones didn't have a lot of time to throw. Comments were made before the game that Jones was going to be knocked out of the game... Knocked or not, it was clear, Miami was not going to let Jone's beat them. The OL has got to do a better job protecting Jones. It appeared we relied on the pass too much.

2. More and more, I think we are seeing that our receivers just don't have the breakaway speed when playing higher caliber teams. There were very few occasions last night when we had ANY separation; and when Jones throws into coverage, our receivers are just not talented enough or tall enough, to go up and take the ball away. Since we don't have that breakaway speed, the use of across the middle passes... more targets to TEs and RBs might be better options.

When we were leaving the parking lot last night, the radio announcers were lamenting that Duke couldn't get separation because of the continuous uncalled PI on Miami. Well, that's life... sometimes you get the calls... sometimes you don't; but, from my seat (sec27), our receivers just couldn't get away. A number of times, it appeared our primary receiver - particularly on deep routes - was double covered.

I totally agree, if we are going to rely on the passing game, major adjustments need to be made... from Jones... OL play... play calling...and staff adjusting to the level of talent we have.

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 01:28 PM
I totally agree, if we are going to rely on the passing game, major adjustments need to be made... from Jones... OL play... play calling...and staff adjusting to the level of talent we have.

Very well stated! I'm optimistic the staff will figure it out and adjust.

I'm convinced we need to run the ball more. If you subtract the sack yardage, Jones was sacked five times for 35 yards, Duke gained 218 yards on 41 attempts for 5.3 yards per attempt. That's not shabby.

Dukehky
09-30-2017, 02:29 PM
I agree that Miami looked terrific--and they were disciplined. There were several times they could have really hit Jones at the end of a play, for example, and they generally pulled up.

Just to pick a nit: I guess our OL is "average," if we're talking about the expectations for a team that is one of the best 40 teams in college football.

Put another way, our "average" OL was stout enough that we maintained possession most of the time (33 minutes), made more first downs (24-19), and trailed in total yards (409-349) only because of yards they racked up when the game was decided. I'll agree that we got beat, and that Miami would be favored in a 4/7 series, but I really didn't see a huge difference between the schools in terms of talent. This is impressive given that I count 23 guys on their team who were rated 4 star players while in high school--and that's just from the last 3 years (according to 247, which I think is fairly strict about giving 4 stars). I think our players are reminders that a) our coaching staff is terrific at picking talent, b) that we are successful at recruitment and c) the coaches coach well, the trainers train well, and the players play hard.

Yeah, their DL was excellent, as was their freshman cornerback on Rahming, and their overall defense was very stingy when we got to the red zone, and Jones didn't always look like Peyton Manning, and, obviously, the coaching staff isn't going to stress moral victories in a 4 touchdown loss against any team short of the Patriots, but I'm feeling pretty good about the rest of the season.

Our pass protection has been average at best all year. We're a running team, but our tackles aren't athletic enough to pass protect protect against real ends. They can move and push forward, but backing up and reacting to moves is way different. The line's pass protection deficiencies also mean that two of our best offensive weapons can't go out and catch passes. Helm and Koppenhaver have to stay in and block. Leaving our wideouts, who are struggling to get separation, responsible for doing everything in the passing game. This makes it harder for DJ to complete passes down the field.

It's all related, but as with most things in football, it starts in the trenches.

We are a run team. If we get behind, we're in trouble.

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 03:02 PM
We are a run team.

I disagree. Georgia Tech is a run team. They ran the ball 66 times today against Carolina and passed 10 times.

We passed the ball 42 times last night. We pass the ball a lot whether we are winning or losing:

NCCU - 34 passes
Northwestern - 45 passes
Baylor - 35 passes
Carolina - 34 passes

Run teams do not throw the ball 38 times per game. We pass too much.

Dukehky
09-30-2017, 03:22 PM
I disagree. Georgia Tech is a run team. They ran the ball 66 times today against Carolina and passed 10 times.

We passed the ball 42 times last night. We pass the ball a lot whether we are winning or losing:

NCCU - 34 passes
Northwestern - 45 passes
Baylor - 35 passes
Carolina - 34 passes

Run teams do not throw the ball 38 times per game. We pass too much.

I see and know the stats, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be running the ball more. Again, tougher when you're down 14-0 in the first quarter. Like I said, we are going to be in lots of trouble if we get down early because our run offense is our best bet. That's probably true for most teams though.

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 03:25 PM
I see and know the stats, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be running the ball more. Again, tougher when you're down 14-0 in the first quarter. Like I said, we are going to be in lots of trouble if we get down early because our run offense is our best bet. That's probably true for most teams though.

Perhaps we are talking past each other as each of us desires to see the team run the ball more. However, I'm not sure the coaching staff agrees with us. They certainly like to pass a lot.

Dukehky
09-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Perhaps we are talking past each other as each of us desires to see the team run the ball more. However, I'm not sure the coaching staff agrees with us. They certainly like to pass a lot.

I wonder how much of it is the past success we've had passing the ball? Like, over the past few years, our offense was stellar, much of which stemmed from tunnel screens and crossing routes to receivers. That hasn't been the case for us this year. I have full confidence that if we see that it's not working great, that the staff sees that as well, and we will put more of the load on Wilson and Brown.

budwom
09-30-2017, 03:51 PM
The pass play on fourth and one early in the game was a preview of the playcalling to come. Just a horrendous decision.

sagegrouse
09-30-2017, 03:54 PM
The pass play on fourth and one early in the game was a preview of the playcalling to come. Just a horrendous decision.

agreed. IF we MUST pass on fourth-and-one at the ten yard line, then kick the field goal.

arnie
09-30-2017, 04:43 PM

I thought our strength might be a fast, talented and experienced core of receivers and tight ends. Doesn't appear to be the case and I think most are reasonably healthy.

So, what's wrong with the pass game? I don't think it's all Jones' fault and while it's orotection isn't great, we've suffered through far worse. Bad routes, timing or play calling?

uh_no
09-30-2017, 04:56 PM
I thought our strength might be a fast, talented and experienced core of receivers and tight ends. Doesn't appear to be the case and I think most are reasonably healthy.

So, what's wrong with the pass game? I don't think it's all Jones' fault and while it's orotection isn't great, we've suffered through far worse. Bad routes, timing or play calling?

a combination of slightly subpar protection (jones is not getting jacked up, but he doesn't have gobs of time), and receivers who can't consistently get separation, and a healthy sprinkling of drops.

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 05:11 PM
a combination of slightly subpar protection (jones is not getting jacked up, but he doesn't have gobs of time), and receivers who can't consistently get separation, and a healthy sprinkling of drops.

uh_no nails it in my opinion.

du_bb1
09-30-2017, 05:39 PM
Forgive me if already mentioned--just got home- would add the failure to adjust blocking schemes to help protect
on a consistent basis ie: 2 tight ends, keeping a back to block ( did occasional), those things that F B gurus know......

Dukehky
09-30-2017, 05:40 PM
uh_no nails it in my opinion.

Totally agree, but those things don't seem to be going away. I think we're all of the opinion that our two best offensive players so far this season are Wilson and Brown. Would love to get this some more touches.

uh_no
09-30-2017, 06:04 PM
Totally agree, but those things don't seem to be going away. I think we're all of the opinion that our two best offensive players so far this season are Wilson and Brown. Would love to get this some more touches.

the answer is to go consistently to the run....until they adjust by committing more personnel to stopping it....then your pass game opens up a bit. we didn't commit to the run consistently enough. you could see it in several of those drives in 3q that petered out after some first downs....we'd be "running" circles around them, then there'd be some first down where we pass, and suddenly it's second and 10. even if we get 6 yards on the next run, we still have 3rd and 4....a tough prospect against what proved to be a well disciplined defense, at least to convert consistently. That combined with some of the head-scratching calls on conversion downs....and you know the score.

jv001
09-30-2017, 06:24 PM
the answer is to go consistently to the run...until they adjust by committing more personnel to stopping it...then your pass game opens up a bit. we didn't commit to the run consistently enough. you could see it in several of those drives in 3q that petered out after some first downs...we'd be "running" circles around them, then there'd be some first down where we pass, and suddenly it's second and 10. even if we get 6 yards on the next run, we still have 3rd and 4...a tough prospect against what proved to be a well disciplined defense, at least to convert consistently. That combined with some of the head-scratching calls on conversion downs...and you know the score.

This happened in the 3rd quarter as you mentioned. We were absolutely killing it running the ball and then we got greedy and went deep for an incomplete pass. Miami then knew we were going to throw and Jones has zero time to throw. After that we really never could get it going again. We had the Hurricanes on their heels and let them off the hook. GoDuke!

siestadogz
10-01-2017, 11:39 AM
2 obsevations:
1)A field goal on the first drive would have found us one score from a tie in the 4th quarter, Play calling could then have been more conservative.
2)As Duke's talent level has increased our explosiveness has decreased. In our bowl losses to Cincinnati and Texas a+m, Duke was able to score at will.

CameronBlue
10-01-2017, 01:13 PM
2 obsevations:

2)As Duke's talent level has increased our explosiveness has decreased. In our bowl losses to Cincinnati and Texas a+m, Duke was able to score at will.

That's a pretty broad generalization that seems hard to justify on the basis of a couple of bowl games. As talent is not inversely proportional to explosiveness there's got to be more to it than that, particularly at the college ranks where experience and maturity factor so heavily. The consensus in the sports media and the general BBS buzz is that Duke's 2-deep roster is significantly more talented than prior iterations but if you isolate the discussion to receivers only the increased talent/decreased explosive argument tends to fail. Duke hasn't had a deep threat at receiver who can consistently get separation since Jamison Crowder. Crowder was an absolute beast against the A&M defense which skews the explosive perception argument anyway since it was one of the most inept defenses ever fielded (at least for a half). Coming into that game they were dead last in many defensive categories in their conference. Preceding Crowder, Duke was fortunate enough to have Connor Vernon who led the team in receptions for the Cincinnati game. Vernon and Crowder both on occasions ran end-arounds as well. They were two of the more talented players to ever suit up for Duke and without a doubt explosive. Our current crop of receivers tend to lose a lot of "jump ball" opportunities it seems. Nothing creates the perception of explosiveness like completing a pass to a WR on a fly or post route. Duke just can't muster that threat at the moment.

devildeac
10-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Cut doesn't sound too happy with the offense:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article176298336.html

From the article:

"Duke’s offense was responsible for sucking the air right out of the stadium."

From Cut:

"It just went south,” Cutcliffe said. “That’s gotta be on me. I’ve got to help our players. I’ve got to find out what the circumstances are. We are going to take a long, hard look at that. We will be better.”

budwom
10-01-2017, 01:28 PM
the answer is to go consistently to the run...until they adjust by committing more personnel to stopping it...then your pass game opens up a bit. we didn't commit to the run consistently enough. you could see it in several of those drives in 3q that petered out after some first downs...we'd be "running" circles around them, then there'd be some first down where we pass, and suddenly it's second and 10. even if we get 6 yards on the next run, we still have 3rd and 4...a tough prospect against what proved to be a well disciplined defense, at least to convert consistently. That combined with some of the head-scratching calls on conversion downs...and you know the score.

I'm still kicking the metaphorical cat over that horrific, senseless pass on fourth and one after we'd shown a pretty solid ability to move the ball on the ground....criminal that we came away with nothing. The defense did all they could in the second and third quarters except sell hot dogs, while the offense was simply putrid. Brown and Wilson are major talents, our wide receivers are not, so I'm with you, uh no.

chrishoke
10-01-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm still kicking the metaphorical cat over that horrific, senseless pass on fourth and one after we'd shown a pretty solid ability to move the ball on the ground...criminal that we came away with nothing. The defense did all they could in the second and third quarters except sell hot dogs, while the offense was simply putrid. Brown and Wilson are major talents, our wide receivers are not, so I'm with you, uh no.

Well, when the oline misses a blocking assignment like they did on that play - the middle linebacker came in untouched and blew up the play immediately - no play call is going to work.

Sir Stealth
10-02-2017, 12:41 PM
My number one takeaway from this game was to be impressed by Miami. This shouldn't be a big surprise, they have a lot of talent on their team and now finally have competent coaching under Richt. I expect them to beat FSU and have a good shot at going in to the ACC Championship game undefeated (especially because they get both VT and Notre Dame at home). A matchup with Clemson could be a good one.

For Duke, it's disappointing to see some sloppy mistakes, penalties, more big plays, and some questionable play calling. Even if we'd played closer to our ability I still don't think we're as good as Miami, but to me overall we still look like a solid, competitive team that belongs in big time games - the final score was misleading. Hopefully the coaching staff can keep our team from getting too discouraged by this one - but it's good to see us looking healthy.

For Jones, we've seen that he has a high ceiling, but as a redshirt sophomore it really shouldn't be that surprising that he still can have a fairly low floor at times. Just has to get more consistent. Better play by the O-line and receivers would obviously help, but he is capable of playing much better than that.

Excited to see what this team can do going forward against a fairly challenging schedule. We still haven't played our best football - hoping to see something closer to the full potential of the team against UVA.

devildeac
10-02-2017, 12:53 PM
My number one takeaway from this game was to be impressed by Miami. This shouldn't be a big surprise, they have a lot of talent on their team and now finally have competent coaching under Richt. I expect them to beat FSU and have a good shot at going in to the ACC Championship game undefeated (especially because they get both VT and Notre Dame at home). A matchup with Clemson could be a good one.

For Duke, it's disappointing to see some sloppy mistakes, penalties, more big plays, and some questionable play calling. Even if we'd played closer to our ability I still don't think we're as good as Miami, but to me overall we still look like a solid, competitive team that belongs in big time games - the final score was misleading. Hopefully the coaching staff can keep our team from getting too discouraged by this one - but it's good to see us looking healthy.

For Jones, we've seen that he has a high ceiling, but as a redshirt sophomore it really shouldn't be that surprising that he still can have a fairly low floor at times. Just has to get more consistent. Better play by the O-line and receivers would obviously help, but he is capable of playing much better than that.

Excited to see what this team can do going forward against a fairly challenging schedule. We still haven't played our best football - hoping to see something closer to the full potential of the team against UVA.

Good analysis. At least no mention was made of a Roof. :o

killerleft
10-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Had to spork you for this post. With every loss there are some extremely negative comments here, and many are unfair or unfounded. Most of the last quarter was certainly regrettable. Before then, we only needed one good drive to get back in it against a Miami team with lots of talent. We'll find out if this game was an aberration or part of a trend soon enough.

Go Duke! Beat the Wahoos!