PDA

View Full Version : Heap Heaved

BD80
09-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Duke basketball alum Jay Heaps fired as NE Revolution soccer coach:

http://www.espnfc.com/club/new-england-revolution/189/blog/post/3208782/jay-heaps-fired-but-new-england-revolution-still-beset-by-problems

OldPhiKap
09-20-2017, 10:28 PM
Duke basketball alum Jay Heaps fired as NE Revolution soccer coach:

http://www.espnfc.com/club/new-england-revolution/189/blog/post/3208782/jay-heaps-fired-but-new-england-revolution-still-beset-by-problems

Sorry to hear. Atlanta United just destroyed and humiliated them recently. Not sure of the run-up to that, but it was brutal.

Jay was part of the first national championship EVER for Duke -- soccer over the Akron Zips in'86. Remember listening to it on the radio in our section, because those things were not televised in the era of early early cable. Jay and I were both at Duke the same four years I believe.

Good luck, Jay!

Papa John
09-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear. Atlanta United just destroyed and humiliated them recently. Not sure of the run-up to that, but it was brutal.

Jay was part of the first national championship EVER for Duke -- soccer over the Akron Zips in'86. Remember listening to it on the radio in our section, because those things were not televised in the era of early early cable. Jay and I were both at Duke the same four years I believe.

Good luck, Jay!

I think your memory might be a little off... Heaps played at Duke in the mid-90s, if I recall correctly, not the mid-80s. Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm recalling incorrectly, I suppose... I certainly did sacrifice my fair share of brain cells during my years in Durham...

sagegrouse
09-20-2017, 10:52 PM
I think your memory might be a little off... Heaps played at Duke in the mid-90s, if I recall correctly, not the mid-80s. Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm recalling incorrectly, I suppose... I certainly did sacrifice my fair share of brain cells during my years in Durham...

Papa John is correct. Jay Heaps played at Duke (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=172) from the 1995-1996 season through 1998-1999.

subzero02
09-20-2017, 10:55 PM
Papa John is correct. Jay Heaps played at Duke (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=172) from the 1995-1996 season through 1998-1999.
Did he finish the 1999 season? I enjoyed watching him dunk in practice... he threw down some sick ones off the backboard. I seem to remember Brand commenting regretfully about Heaps' departure from the squad.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2017, 10:59 PM
Yup, Thinking of John Kerr.

Getting old sucks,

tbyers11
09-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Did he finish the 1999 season? I enjoyed watching him dunk in practice... he threw down some sick ones off the backboard

Jay was my year at Duke. I do recall that he graduated a semester early to begin his professional soccer career in Spring 99.

That link does show him playing 4 games in the 1999 season. The last of which was in Dec 98. So I think it all adds up.

Reilly
09-20-2017, 11:13 PM
Jay was my year at Duke. I do recall that he graduated a semester early to begin his professional soccer career in Spring 99.

That link does show him playing 4 games in the 1999 season. The last of which was in Dec 98. So I think it all adds up.

Jay Heaps was K's first player who left early to pursue a professional sports career. A great trivia answer.

And OPK: Duke 1, Akron Zip. Exam season at Duke, as I recall.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2017, 11:15 PM

Yup as to the first part, not sure of the second.

Soccer on radio leaves something to be desired. But it was the only dog running.

Reilly
09-20-2017, 11:45 PM
http://contentdm.lib.duke.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15957coll13/id/37232

Ah, it was "Duke Won ..."

madscavenger
09-21-2017, 06:08 AM

Getting old sucks,

John Kerr of the Tilden Tech Blue Devils played soccer (so did his pop in Glasgow, per link (scroll down).

https://books.google.com/books?id=DDO3sdV6ytsC&pg=PA257&lpg=PA257&dq=red+kerr+Tilden+soccer&source=bl&ots=qaApdDD7WU&sig=QtETGq8EHT2CqfO47OM7EMU5Zso&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjoo-Cr-LXWAhXJWCYKHZUfB5MQ6AEIYzAP#v=onepage&q=red%20kerr%20Tilden%20soccer&f=false

Maybe he was a walk on. ;)

Yup, old. :D

Indoor66
09-21-2017, 07:50 AM

Getting old sucks,

...And you ain't old yet. Just wait! :p;):cool:

Reisen
09-21-2017, 09:49 AM
John Kerr of the Tilden Tech Blue Devils played soccer (so did his pop in Glasgow, per link (scroll down).

https://books.google.com/books?id=DDO3sdV6ytsC&pg=PA257&lpg=PA257&dq=red+kerr+Tilden+soccer&source=bl&ots=qaApdDD7WU&sig=QtETGq8EHT2CqfO47OM7EMU5Zso&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjoo-Cr-LXWAhXJWCYKHZUfB5MQ6AEIYzAP#v=onepage&q=red%20kerr%20Tilden%20soccer&f=false

Maybe he was a walk on. ;)

Yup, old. :D

Not sure what this post means, but John Kerr Jr played at Duke in the 80's and is currently the head coach.

Back to Heaps, I knew Jay, his parents, and his sister at Duke. What a nice family. Jay is a fantastic guy, was a fantastic players, and will continue to be a fantastic coach. I bet he gets picked up and continues a successful coaching career. He had a great start.

ipatent
09-21-2017, 10:19 AM
If memory serves correctly, Heaps was the beginning of the end for Jeff McInnis at UNC, after the poor sportsmanship Dean cooled on him.

FadedTackyShirt
09-21-2017, 10:32 AM
If memory serves correctly, Heaps was the beginning of the end for Jeff McInnis at UNC, after the poor sportsmanship Dean cooled on him.

Two of our favorite professors were a married couple and big basketball fans/season ticket holders. They got us tickets for the have you driven a Ford lately game. It was shortly after Cal Ripken broke the consecutive game streak, so one of the crew used a connection to get Cal Ripken to sign a ball inscribed to them. The hubby was like a little kid when he saw the ball. Krzyzewski bless Jay Heaps!

Highlander
09-21-2017, 03:08 PM
My favorite Heaps memory - In 1997-98 the pep band had a "Heaps Pool" prior to every game. You put $1 in the hat and tried to predict at what EXACT time on the clock Jay would enter the game (e.g. 1:38 left in 2H). If you guessed correctly, you won the pot. If no one guessed, it rolled over to the next game.

Fast forward to the NCAA Tournament. We are in the second round in Lexington, KY. Band is hanging out in the lobby of the hotel and Jay saunters through with Todd Singleton. Someone lets slip about the Heaps pool, and he was incredulous that we had been betting on him all season. Even looked over at Todd Singleton and said "Can you believe it? I have to get in on this!"

Everyone got a good laugh, including Jay.

Tripping William
09-21-2017, 04:16 PM

They got us tickets for the have you driven a Ford lately game.

Memory does serve correctly. I, too, attended. I *might* have joined in serenading McInnis with what K later called an "accurate" description. Heaps didn't quite embarrass McInnis as much as Randolph Childress (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo) did, but it was fun to watch McInnis's childish reaction nonetheless.

A steady progression: Heaps ===> Andre Buckner ==> Patrick Davidson

CrazyNotCrazie
09-21-2017, 05:33 PM

Good luck, Jay!

If it makes you feel better, Heaps was on the Duke soccer team that lost to Wisconsin in the 1995 NCAA finals. I was there that very cold night in Richmond. Despite being a relatively short guy (I think he was 5-7 or 5-8) his ability to get up for a header was really incredible. Obviously, we exacted our revenge on Wisconsin 20 years later in basketball...

chrishoke
09-21-2017, 06:01 PM
My favorite Heaps memory - In 1997-98 the pep band had a "Heaps Pool" prior to every game. You put $1 in the hat and tried to predict at what EXACT time on the clock Jay would enter the game (e.g. 1:38 left in 2H). If you guessed correctly, you won the pot. If no one guessed, it rolled over to the next game.

Fast forward to the NCAA Tournament. We are in the second round in Lexington, KY. Band is hanging out in the lobby of the hotel and Jay saunters through with Todd Singleton. Someone lets slip about the Heaps pool, and he was incredulous that we had been betting on him all season. Even looked over at Todd Singleton and said "Can you believe it? I have to get in on this!"

Everyone got a good laugh, including Jay.

My favorite Heaps memory was the home opening game of his last Duke soccer season. When the players entered the field, each carried a soccer ball and they spread out and threw the balls to fans in the stands. Jay threw his ball directly to my son and I. We were and are great Jay fans. Awesome moment.

burnspbesq
09-21-2017, 07:48 PM

Heaps laid a perfectly legal, instructional-video-quality shoulder charge on McInnis. Alas, he did it in Cameron instead of Koskinen, and ran him into the press table.

MChambers
09-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Jay Heaps was K's first player who left early to pursue a professional sports career. A great trivia answer.

Awesome factoid! I've already stumped my adult son with this one, and plan to have fun with others using this.