PDA

View Full Version : After Faculty Outcry, UNC Will Allow Athletics Course to Be Taught Again

rthomas
09-20-2017, 11:30 AM
I thought that here may be some interest in this:

http://www.chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/after-faculty-outcry-unc-will-allow-athletics-course-to-be-taught-again/120167

JasonEvans
09-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Probably belongs in the UNC scandal thread, but I see no reason not to let this stand on its own for a little bit. There doesn't appear to be much more to the story than this fact:

At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill the history course “Big-Time College Sports and the Rights of Athletes, 1956 to the Present,” will once again be offered, in the spring semester of 2018. Jay Smith, the professor behind the course and a prominent critic of the administration, was informed last November that the course would be canceled for the fall of 2017.

I wonder if Jay Smith would allow folks to audit that class... I'd love to sit in it for a bit ;)

BD80
09-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Probably belongs in the UNC scandal thread, but I see no reason not to let this stand on its own for a little bit. There doesn't appear to be much more to the story than this fact:

I wonder if Jay Smith would allow folks to audit that class... I'd love to sit in it for a bit ;)

A course on athletics that sounds too rigorous for unc athletes.

devildeac
09-20-2017, 02:43 PM

Why audit the class? I'd suggest you enroll officially, after the drop/add, of course, attend a lecture or two (not required), submit a short paper for your final exam (I'm willing to assist with that task and even assign a high grade, for a 12 ounce fee, of course.) and then devote a couple podcasts for in-depth curriculum reporting/analysis.

;):o

Papa John
09-20-2017, 06:07 PM
Why audit the class? I'd suggest you enroll officially, after the drop/add, of course, attend a lecture or two (not required), submit a short paper for your final exam (I'm willing to assist with that task and even assign a high grade, for a 12 ounce fee, of course.) and then devote a couple podcasts for in-depth curriculum reporting/analysis.

;):o

Let's not paint poor Jay Smith with the paper class brush. This class will actually be academically rigorous.

devildeac
09-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Let's not paint poor Jay Smith with the paper class brush. This class will actually be academically rigorous.

You are correct. I just couldn't help it when JE mentioned auditing the class and I got carried away. :o

OldPhiKap
09-20-2017, 06:29 PM
So if it starts at 1956, is there a separate class that handles the Helms trophy? And, is it a home ec class?

Papa John
09-22-2017, 06:08 PM
So if it starts at 1956, is there a separate class that handles the Helms trophy? And, is it a home ec class?

I would figure it to be something in either the Philosophy or Art department... Or Creative Writing...

weezie
09-23-2017, 08:18 AM
....devote a couple podcasts for in-depth curriculum reporting/analysis...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz