PDA

View Full Version : Crow's nest gone, and back again!

hallcity
09-20-2017, 09:31 AM
The crow's nests at Cameron are gone (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article174298031.html). They are being replaced by a temporary structure because of safety concerns. Cameron will lose 30 seats. My seats are some of the ones being lost. I sat under the TV crow's nest. It was clearly dangerous. I can remember the night when Jim Valvano became very ill while broadcasting a game after his diagnosis of cancer. Removing him from the crow's nest was quite difficult. I can also remember Kareem Abdul-Jabbar getting up there to broadcast a game, proving that he was still an athlete.

The crow's nests may have been antiquated, unsafe and inconvenient but they were part of what gives Cameron character.

Reilly
09-20-2017, 10:14 AM
Interesting. I'm OK with it all so long as there are undergrads posted as sentries to keep Billy Packer out of the new structure.

BLPOG
09-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Interesting. I'm OK with it all so long as there are undergrads posted as sentries to keep Billy Packer out of the new structure.

Forget the undergrads. I'd quit my job today for that kind of opportunity!

UrinalCake
09-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Disappointing to lose part of the building's history, but certainly understandable. I imagine the building must pre-date all modern laws concerning accessibility, but it always seemed like a precarious way to house the broadcasters. I'm curious how this will affect the video broadcast, since the cameras are also up in the crow's next. I always enjoy the different angle that we see when watching games from Cameron on TV, being closer and looking more down at the court.

So what happens to your tickets? Will they give you seats in another part of the stadium?

sagegrouse
09-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Disappointing to lose part of the building's history, but certainly understandable. I imagine the building must pre-date all modern laws concerning accessibility, but it always seemed like a precarious way to house the broadcasters. I'm curious how this will affect the video broadcast, since the cameras are also up in the crow's next. I always enjoy the different angle that we see when watching games from Cameron on TV, being closer and looking more down at the court.

So what happens to your tickets? Will they give you seats in another part of the stadium?

Cameron Indoor Stadium, capacity 9,284.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2017, 10:29 AM

Damn, I'm going to have to change all of my passwords now. 9,314 just had that certain ring to it.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-20-2017, 10:31 AM

Good question - I will miss the traditional Cameron camera angle. I think most announcers had a love/hate relationship with the Crow's Nest. It was a pain for them to get up there (both in terms of climbing the ladder and getting there from the media room) and I know it was usually the hottest spot in Cameron (which is already very hot), but it gave them a unique perspective and gave them some separation from having fans leaning over their shoulders and accidentally (or purposely) spitting on them at courtside.

I will also miss the lost seats in Cameron. 9.314 is etched in my brain - one of my favorite party tricks is having people say "isn't Cameron small" and I immediately reply "yes, it seats 9,314."

Since the Crow's Nest was dismantled immediately following Bob Harris' retirement, I hope he got an option on keeping it (if he wanted it) and perhaps they name the new space after him in recognition of his extraordinary career, rather than naming it after the highest bidder.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2017, 10:37 AM

The article shows a picture of the new solution, it's a platform where the crow's nest was. (Temporary until 2018)

FadedTackyShirt
09-20-2017, 10:40 AM
Scalped tickets for a reasonable price directly at center court several years ago. Got to our seats and one of the crow's nest ladders was directly behind them. Wasn't a big deal, perfectly fine seats, but did get slightly conked when they lowered the ladder back down at half time.

rsvman
09-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Female, preferably.

Indoor66
09-20-2017, 10:57 AM
This stinks. I also think they should film the games in 16mm from the locations hanging from the roof at the near the SW corner and have carbon arc spotlights on the players located in the end zones - for introductions. Also, ya'll stay off my lawn. :mad::mad::p:cool:

ricks68
09-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Losing approximately 30 prime seats to accommodate new booth.😡
Sorry for not providing links, but certainly are easy to find.

ricks

hallcity
09-20-2017, 11:01 AM

They've moved us to a different location further down but not at midcourt.

Trying to get to our seats when the ladder was down was a real problem. There was a guy sitting just behind the ladder who helped. I kept meaning to ask the guy whether his ticket was comped in exchange for grappling with the ladder which was heavy especially after they switched from a wooden to a metal ladder.

The TV people mostly stayed in the crow's nest at halftime and then after the game until the fans got out except fir Dickie V. In recent years he was leaving at the half for a time. I assume as he got older that he couldn't be away from a restroom for more than two hours.

ChrisDevil
09-20-2017, 11:03 AM
So many great memories from Cameron. I was fortunate enough to work for Coach D'armi in Cameron in the early nineties. During the Gulf War, for one of the games we had to bring in extra security. A day or two before, a protest at another school (Missouri? I believe), students had toppled an ESPN production truck. I was up in the crows nest, as I was for many games when the students started chanting "USA! USA! USA!". One of the announcers (I believe it was Mike Patrick) looked at Vitale and said something to the effect of "Holy $#!#!! That is one of the loudest things I have ever heard!" The experience of seeing a game from up there was truly special. But, WOW DID IT GET HOT!!!!!!!

BLPOG
09-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Losing approximately 30 prime seats to accommodate new booth.😡
Sorry for not providing links, but certainly are easy to find.

ricks

hallcity beat you to it here (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40478-Crow-s-Nests-Gone)

BLPOG
09-20-2017, 11:10 AM
This stinks. I also think they should film the games in 16mm from the locations hanging from the roof at the near the SW corner and have carbon arc spotlights on the players located in the end zones - for introductions. Also, ya'll stay off my lawn. :mad::mad::p:cool:

The jumbotron has to go! I want a scoreboard with lots of burned out light bulbs, no replay capability, and especially no infantile dance-for-you-money, monkey-camera-pans over the crowd that distract them from harassing the opposing players and bench!

Edit: And more troughs!

Indoor66
09-20-2017, 11:13 AM
The jumbotron has to go! I want a scoreboard with lots of burned out light bulbs, no replay capability, and especially no infantile dance-for-you-money, monkey-camera-pans over the crowd that distract them from harassing the opposing players and bench!

And glass panels with the team and players names that can be changed for each game.

Another thing. We need to have the usher held ropes at half time and the end of games to keep the crowd off the court and allow the teams to get to the tunnel and to the visiting team locker room!

uh_no
09-20-2017, 11:26 AM

I'm just throwing it out there....but there was 0 waiting for any bathrooms at oktoberfest.....troughs may have some downsides.....but space efficiency is not one of them.

arnie
09-20-2017, 11:46 AM
I'm just throwing it out there...but there was 0 waiting for any bathrooms at oktoberfest....troughs may have some downsides....but space efficiency is not one of them.

Yea, I miss the troughs at w-wade and Cameron. I particularly enjoyed reactions when visiting fans thought the center hand washing stations were uronsks.

aimo
09-20-2017, 12:21 PM
Yea, I miss the troughs at w-wade and Cameron. I particularly enjoyed reactions when visiting fans thought the center hand washing stations were uronsks.

I've heard stories about the troughs. The new bathrooms are nice and more convenient, but as a female life-long Wallace Wade attendee, I never minded having to scrape the dead leaves off the potty before sitting. Apparently I am among the minority.

brandon990
09-20-2017, 01:24 PM
So this indicates that there are 30 seats from Cameron Indoor on the loose! One of those bad boys would sure make a great play room display. Supply and demand would clearly out price most, but fun to think about.

ricks68
09-20-2017, 02:13 PM
hallcity beat you to it here (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40478-Crow-s-Nests-Gone)

Yeah, saw that after I posted. Sorry

ricks

ricks68
09-20-2017, 02:40 PM
So this indicates that there are 30 seats from Cameron Indoor on the loose! One of those bad boys would sure make a great play room display. Supply and demand would clearly out price most, but fun to think about.

Unfortunately those seats were recently spiffed up and painted. It would be cooler if they were in their old and worn condition

ricks

Bike4Fun
09-20-2017, 08:35 PM
That looks like a different section from where it was based, on the seat pattern below. Is the temporary structure really in the seats below the crow's nest?

Daddylawman
09-20-2017, 10:50 PM
I spent many games up there while working for the SID in the early/mid 80's. The official statistician was there too. At halftime I took his carbon typed running stats, climbed down, over the rail through the student section, to a small back room with a mimeograph machine. I then had it crank out about 25-30 copies to hand out in the media room during halftime. To beat deadlines the "back half" of their columns was typed during the start of the second half.

dukelifer
09-21-2017, 07:04 AM
The crow's nests at Cameron are gone (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article174298031.html). They are being replaced by a temporary structure because of safety concerns. Cameron will lose 30 seats. My seats are some of the ones being lost. I sat under the TV crow's nest. It was clearly dangerous. I can remember the night when Jim Valvano became very ill while broadcasting a game after his diagnosis of cancer. Removing him from the crow's nest was quite difficult. I can also remember Kareem Abdul-Jabbar getting up there to broadcast a game, proving that he was still an athlete.

The crow's nests may have been antiquated, unsafe and inconvenient but they were part of what gives Cameron character.

Back in the day- there were actual birds flying in the rafters during games.

Indoor66
09-21-2017, 07:58 AM
Back in the day- there were actual birds flying in the rafters during games.

...And sound baffles and a smoke cloud hanging over the court.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7643&stc=1

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7644&stc=1

(Wow, the first time I ever successfully uploaded a photo. The Dam has burst! :cool:)

Business Casual
09-21-2017, 11:43 AM
I read in the N & O article that they are also building a wooden podium in one corner. Does anyone know which corner? My family's seats are in the very top of section 9.

NSDukeFan
09-21-2017, 11:59 AM
I spent many games up there while working for the SID in the early/mid 80's. The official statistician was there too. At halftime I took his carbon typed running stats, climbed down, over the rail through the student section, to a small back room with a mimeograph machine. I then had it crank out about 25-30 copies to hand out in the media room during halftime. To beat deadlines the "back half" of their columns was typed during the start of the second half.

Wouldn't it have been easier to email it? 😀

alteran
09-21-2017, 12:31 PM

Ahhhh, the smoke cloud. I remember struggling to see across CIS after halftime. It was amazing.

Indoor66
09-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Wouldn't it have been easier to email it? 😀

Depends on how old you are.😂😋😎

DU82
09-21-2017, 06:30 PM
I read in the N & O article that they are also building a wooden podium in one corner. Does anyone know which corner? My family's seats are in the very top of section 9.

There's been a platform in the SE corner (section 3) for a camera the past few years. It started as a temporary wood platform, it's now a quasi-permanent metal one. It covers two seats.

Indoor66
09-21-2017, 06:44 PM
The smoking in the Indoor Stadium was stopped after Margaret Rose Sanford's sweater was burned and ended up with a hole in it. I was at a party that night with the Sanfords and I can attest that she was less than thrilled.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2017, 07:29 PM
The smoking in the Indoor Stadium was stopped after Margaret Rose Sanford's sweater was burned and ended up with a hole in it. I was at a party that night with the Sanfords and I can attest that she was less than thrilled.

Uncle Terry had his avuncular letter, Aunt Margaret Rose had her materteral edict.

ricks68
09-22-2017, 10:01 AM

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7643&stc=1

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7644&stc=1

(Wow, the first time I ever successfully uploaded a photo. The Dam has burst! :cool:)

Can you teach me? I have never been able to get past the first few I posted about 10 years ago. (Especially after seeing a picture of Verga.👍👍👍)

ricks

uh_no
09-22-2017, 12:46 PM

guess I'll have to update my "worst seats in cameron" post!

MulletMan
09-22-2017, 01:45 PM
So many great memories from Cameron. I was fortunate enough to work for Coach D'armi in Cameron in the early nineties. During the Gulf War, for one of the games we had to bring in extra security. A day or two before, a protest at another school (Missouri? I believe), students had toppled an ESPN production truck. I was up in the crows nest, as I was for many games when the students started chanting "USA! USA! USA!". One of the announcers (I believe it was Mike Patrick) looked at Vitale and said something to the effect of "Holy $#!#!! That is one of the loudest things I have ever heard!" The experience of seeing a game from up there was truly special. But, WOW DID IT GET HOT!!!!!!!

God bless that man. An all time favorite of mine, may he rest in peace.

Business Casual
09-22-2017, 02:29 PM
guess I'll have to update my "worst seats in cameron" post!

It's actually pretty great-- since there's no one behind us, we can just stand up when things get exciting. I remember when I was a little kid, there weren't seats back there, just wooden tables that we sat on. I used to get splinters every game, but it was so worth it.

DU82
09-22-2017, 05:59 PM
It's actually pretty great-- since there's no one behind us, we can just stand up when things get exciting. I remember when I was a little kid, there weren't seats back there, just wooden tables that we sat on. I used to get splinters every game, but it was so worth it.

The back row in the end zone has less leg room than others, because the seats on the sides of the row were pushed forward to make the overall row even. ( The seats in between the aisles have the window behind them, so less room.). The space behind the row is nice for coats, not blocking people, and allowing extra people that have snuck in a place to stand and watch the game (not that we've ever done that, :rolleyes: ).

Uh No' I think you showed a picture of the corner seats in section 3 last year, can you pull that up again?

uh_no
09-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Uh No' I think you showed a picture of the corner seats in section 3 last year, can you pull that up again?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?39177-The-Worst-Seats-In-Cameron-A-Photographic-Compendium

atoomer0881
09-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Damn, I'm going to have to change all of my passwords now. 9,314 just had that certain ring to it.

Looks like capacity will remain at 9,314 (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/09/cameron-indoor-stadiums-official-capacity-to-stay-at-9314-despite-crows-nest-renovation).

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-25-2017, 11:07 AM
I’m still wearing my 9,314 shirt.

throatybeard
09-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Good thing my wife and I had relations up there while that was still possible.

Security was laxer in the 90s.

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2017, 11:01 PM

Was Vitale there to offer his thoughts?

OldPhiKap
09-25-2017, 11:11 PM

No room in the stacks?

mattman91
09-25-2017, 11:29 PM
Was Vitale there to offer his thoughts?

Throatybeard was a PTP! Prime Time Performer baby!

Indoor66
09-26-2017, 07:10 AM
Without pictures it is meaningless.

weezie
09-26-2017, 08:44 AM

My fav shirt. Really think it might be what I'll be wearing at my wake. Which will be a big party.

Rich
09-26-2017, 09:05 AM

My fav shirt. Really think it might be what I'll be wearing at my wake. Which will be a big party.

I love obscure Duke t-shirts. One of my favorites is my Duke blue "Order Has Been Restored" pitchfork shirt that I bought online after the 2010 championship. Do you have a photo of the 9,314 shirt and/or know where I can buy one?

Indoor66
09-26-2017, 09:27 AM
I love obscure Duke t-shirts. One of my favorites is my Duke blue "Order Has Been Restored" pitchfork shirt that I bought online after the 2010 championship. Do you have a photo of the 9,314 shirt and/or know where I can buy one?

I wear my Order tee shirt regularly. I wore it Sunday to recognize the Saturday results.😎

BigWayne
09-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Looks like capacity will remain at 9,314 (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/09/cameron-indoor-stadiums-official-capacity-to-stay-at-9314-despite-crows-nest-renovation).

Thanks for posting that. The other tidbit in that article is that the crow's nest will be returning next year:

A temporary platform for broadcasters will be used this season before a new crow's nest with permanent stairs is completed in 2018.

quahog174
09-26-2017, 03:51 PM

Lovebirds in the crow's nest?

uh_no
09-26-2017, 03:53 PM
Thanks for posting that. The other tidbit in that article is that the crow's nest will be returning next year:

BEERS ALL AROUND!

w00t!!!!

Indoor66
09-26-2017, 04:14 PM
BEERS ALL AROUND!

w00t!!!!

Calling Bill Werber.

ABF
09-26-2017, 09:02 PM

And bring back the "real" blue devil.

Newton_14
09-26-2017, 09:40 PM

TMI bro! TMI! We are still a PG-13 Family Site. It's for the kids man, for the kids! :cool:

I still believe they should put the two TV announcers on the floor like every other arena. It ain't like the length of the floor is shorter than other arena's. You get more info during stoppages of play for technical fouls, replay review, etc when the announcers are on the floor and can see and hear what is being said by the ref's and officials. That ship just sailed with this new plan though. It will for sure be a much more comfortable and safer work space for those that have to be in the crows nest for games.

I wonder why they didn't install the permanent solution this offseason? If it can be started and completed in between the last game of a season and the first game of the next season, the temp solution seems a bit odd but I suppose I am missing something...

BigWayne
09-27-2017, 01:46 AM
I wonder why they didn't install the permanent solution this offseason? If it can be started and completed in between the last game of a season and the first game of the next season, the temp solution seems a bit odd but I suppose I am missing something...

Probably because they weren't planning on doing it until something forced their hand.

BLPOG
09-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Probably because they weren't planning on doing it until something forced their hand.

Also, the direct path from point A to point C might be more difficult than either A to B or B to C. It might be that it's easier to construct the temporary area than the new permanent crow's nest, and easier to deconstruct the temporary structure than the old crow's nest.

That said, I suspect you are right and that something forced their hand.

hallcity
10-28-2017, 04:11 PM
There wasn't just one crow's nest. There was one for TV and one for radio. I had assumed that they would be replaced with new booths in the same area. I saw three booths last night but two of them were high in the Northwest corner. I guess Duke and visiting radio got exiled up there. That's a shame for Duke radio. My guess is that this explains the timing. Duke didn't want to do this until Bob Harris retired.

DU82
10-28-2017, 06:13 PM
There wasn't just one crow's nest. There was one for TV and one for radio. I had assumed that they would be replaced with new booths in the same area. I saw three booths last night but two of them were high in the Northwest corner. I guess Duke and visiting radio got exiled up there. That's a shame for Duke radio. My guess is that this explains the timing. Duke didn't want to do this until Bob Harris retired.

I was surprised to see the radio crew up above section 2 last night (I didn’t go to CTC last week.) besides the Duke radio network, the visitor’s broadcast was there (a solo SWMoSt person) and I think Duke student broadcast.

It did remove some of Uh No’s worst seats in the house, though.

Son of Jarhead
10-28-2017, 10:17 PM
I was surprised to see the radio crew up above section 2 last night (I didn’t go to CTC last week.) besides the Duke radio network, the visitor’s broadcast was there (a solo SWMoSt person) and I think Duke student broadcast.

It did remove some of Uh No’s worst seats in the house, though.

I know they said the TV booth for this year was temporary, to be replaced in the off season... I wonder if the radio booths are also temporary???

DU82
10-28-2017, 10:42 PM
I know they said the TV booth for this year was temporary, to be replaced in the off season... I wonder if the radio booths are also temporary???

The corner radio booths are clearly temporary.

Son of Jarhead
10-28-2017, 11:20 PM
The corner radio booths are clearly temporary.

I meant whether their location is temporary, not the construction of them.

UrinalCake
10-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Not sure if this has been discussed in other threads, but the lighting for the TV broadcasts of both C2C and the NWMoSt exhibition were terrible. It only affects the main sideline camera; when they show replays from different camera angles the lighting is fine. Does this have anything to do with the different camera placement now that the crow's nest is gone? I already miss the steeper angle of looking down onto the court that I'm so accustomed to when watching games in Cameron.

El_Diablo
10-29-2017, 10:38 AM

Let’s hope they beef up the nighttime security as well.

hallcity
08-16-2018, 07:23 PM
And we have a replacement for the crow’s n (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkwZHWJVAAIMKvN?format=jpg&name=large)est!

mattman91
08-16-2018, 07:31 PM
And we have a replacement for the crow’s n (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkwZHWJVAAIMKvN?format=jpg&name=large)est!

Looks awesome!

mattman91
08-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Looks awesome!

But...where do they climb up? Is there a door up there on the other side of the stairs?

Indoor66
08-16-2018, 08:24 PM
But...where do they climb up? Is there a door up there on the other side of the stairs?

They don't need stairs. Bilas will levitate them.

devildeac
08-16-2018, 08:35 PM
They don't need stairs. Bilas will levitate them.

That'll take a lot of hot air, but...

UrinalCake
08-16-2018, 08:41 PM

I believe you can see the underside of the stairwells on either side of the middle pillar.

El_Diablo
08-16-2018, 08:58 PM

It looks like they just have to go through the last row of seats to get from the aisle to the stairs.

tteettimes
08-16-2018, 09:48 PM
Beam me up Scotty

CrazyNotCrazie
08-16-2018, 09:48 PM
It looks bigger than the old one. Are they moving other writers from press row up as well?

hallcity
08-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Note the opening at the top in section 7. You see light there where previously there was no opening. They had previously constructed exterior stairs going up to the crow’s nest level but they didn’t connect to the crow’s nest. Now they do. I’m guessing TV will now be on the left side so they’ll have an entrance from the exterior stairs right at the crow’s nest. Useful for getting cameras up to the crow’s nest and getting people in and out of it quickly. Dickie V, for instance, in recent years had been leaving the crow’s nest at the half, presumably to go to the restroom. That sort of trip will be far easier now.

uh_no
08-17-2018, 03:14 AM
It looks bigger than the old one. Are they moving other writers from press row up as well?

think that's more an illusion. looks about the same size to me. but the fact it has a big facade makes it appear to be more voluminous.

budwom
08-17-2018, 07:30 AM
countdown til they announce the naming opportunity, e.g. The Herman T. Merganser Crow's Nest Near Coach K Court at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

CrazyNotCrazie
08-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Can Zion touch that with a standing leap or does he need a running start from center court?

hallcity
08-17-2018, 09:21 AM
think that's more an illusion. looks about the same size to me. but the fact it has a big facade makes it appear to be more voluminous.

Definitely an illusion. You can tell by the trusses. TV and radio each extended from one truss to another and there was a truss between TV and radio. That's still the case although I think that TV and radio may switch sides now.

egr88
08-17-2018, 09:40 AM
I knew this was coming but it is still a sad day. My parents had the seats where the right stairs are for 44 years I think. As a little kid I spent lots of time leaning against that center court girder.

uh_no
08-17-2018, 10:34 AM
I knew this was coming but it is still a sad day. My parents had the seats where the right stairs are for 44 years I think. As a little kid I spent lots of time leaning against that center court girder.

will have to update the worst seats in cameron guide :(

BigWayne
08-17-2018, 05:46 PM
countdown til they announce the naming opportunity, e.g. The Herman T. Merganser Crow's Nest Near Coach K Court at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Not on the list yet. (http://duaa-naming-01.oit.duke.edu/available-naming-opportunities)

budwom
08-18-2018, 12:40 PM
Not on the list yet. (http://duaa-naming-01.oit.duke.edu/available-naming-opportunities)

Fabulous list! So for $30k you can have a "window" named after you in Cameron, how in heaven's (K's) name do you do that? Least expensive opportunity on the list is the softball field's "dugout helmut cubby."
Wow. I avoid golf courses like the plague, otherwise I have to think a mere $15 million for the Duke golf course would be right up my alley.

Question: who is the genius at what school who figured out you can get money from a donor for the stadium name, and another contribution from someone else for the field? Perhaps sidelines will also be auctioned off?

What's clear is that universities these days are insatiable fundraisers.

p.s. if you can have a window named after you, isn't it pretty obvious that the crow's nest will soon make the list?

HereBeforeCoachK
08-18-2018, 01:08 PM
Fabulous list! What's clear is that universities these days are insatiable fundraisers.

...and not just the athletic departments.....Big Ed writ large just as bad.

CameronBornAndBred
08-18-2018, 01:40 PM
There has to be at least one rich alumni with the last name "Crow", right? They might be typing him/her up a letter Monday morning!

PS..how did it get the name originally? Why crow? Why not eagle or pigeon?

Reilly
08-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Wikipedia is your friend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow%27s_nest

"According to a popular naval legend, the term derives from the practice of Viking sailors, who carried crows or ravens in a cage secured to the top of the mast. In cases of poor visibility, a crow was released, and the navigator plotted a course corresponding to the bird's flight path because the crow invariably headed towards the nearest land."

devildeac
08-18-2018, 01:46 PM
There has to be at least one rich alumni with the last name "Crow", right? They might be typing him/her up a letter Monday morning!

For starters maybe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow%27s_nest

devildeac
08-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Wikipedia is your friend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow%27s_nest

"According to a popular naval legend, the term derives from the practice of Viking sailors, who carried crows or ravens in a cage secured to the top of the mast. In cases of poor visibility, a crow was released, and the navigator plotted a course corresponding to the bird's flight path because the crow invariably headed towards the nearest land."

For starters maybe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow%27s_nest

Gotta wake/get up earlier to beat Reilly on a fact-hunting expedition.

Great minds and all that stuff.

;)

CameronBornAndBred
08-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Did Viking Guy ever carry a crow into Cameron?

devildeac
08-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Did Viking Guy ever carry a crow into Cameron?

Pure speculation here, of course:

(maybe disguised as a bottle of Coca Cola:rolleyes:)

Indoor66
08-18-2018, 02:59 PM

Nah. Few students would (or could) spring for the good stuff. I'd bet on the white label Old Crow. 😂

OldPhiKap
08-18-2018, 03:18 PM

I snuck a bottle of champagne into the Duke-Carolina game in ‘86 — where they retired Dawkins’ number, we beat the holes, and secured the regular season top spot.

Took the cage off the cork with about a minute or so left. Dean stretched the game through fouls, subs, etc.

Long story short — the cork popped out of its own volition with about 20 seconds to do. Never knew where it landed.

The champagne was good.

ES, Dean Smith, ES.

killerleft
08-21-2018, 10:25 AM

I don't know about his financial situation, but Mark Crow was a pretty good cager back in the day for Duke. He played with Spanarkel, Gminski, and Tate Armstrong in 76-77. Then with the NJ Nets for a year, and spent about 10 years overseas playing for several different teams.

jimsumner
08-21-2018, 10:34 AM

The crow's nest is the lookout spot on a sailing ship.

CameronBornAndBred
08-21-2018, 10:45 AM

That I knew. Thanks to others with the Viking tale!

Truth&Justise
08-21-2018, 11:14 AM

Does this mean Cameron's official capacity has decreased?

elvis14
08-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Can Zion touch that with a standing leap or does he need a running start from center court?

They have asked Zion not to try either to save on reconstruction costs.

Bluedog
08-21-2018, 11:51 AM
Does this mean Cameron's official capacity has decreased?

Nope...although they removed ~30 seats, they kept the "official capacity" as 9,314.
https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40479-Crow-s-nest-gone-and-back-again!&p=1002103#post1002103 (on page 3 of this thread)
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/09/cameron-indoor-stadiums-official-capacity-to-stay-at-9314-despite-crows-nest-renovation

sagegrouse
08-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Nope...although they removed ~30 seats, they kept the "official capacity" as 9,314.
https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40479-Crow-s-nest-gone-and-back-again!&p=1002103#post1002103 (on page 3 of this thread)
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/09/cameron-indoor-stadiums-official-capacity-to-stay-at-9314-despite-crows-nest-renovation

Ever notice the folding chairs on each end of the court, which are (or used to be) controlled by the AD? Who knows what the seating actually is? I am sure the athletic department can defend an established number of 9,314 until the cows come home.

WiJoe
08-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Ever notice the folding chairs on each end of the court, which are (or used to be) controlled by the AD? Who knows what the seating actually is? I am sure the athletic department can defend an established number of 9,314 until the CROWS come home.

fixed it for ya

:cool:

rasputin
08-21-2018, 02:41 PM

I always thought the place was named for Crow T. Robot.

mgtr
08-21-2018, 04:42 PM
Just read over the list of athletic facilities with names for sale. Sad. Next they will try to sell naming rights for bowl games!!!:rolleyes:

jimsumner
08-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Just read over the list of athletic facilities with names for sale. Sad. Next they will try to sell naming rights for bowl games!!!:rolleyes:

I'm old enough to remember when the PGA golf tournament in Greensboro was simply the Greater Greensboro Open, aka GGO.

I think it's had a half-dozen iterations since then, as corporate sponsors come and go.

Signed,

The Jim Sumner Acme Poster.

peloton
08-21-2018, 05:35 PM

Well, I certainly don't know if he's rich or not, but there's Mark Crow who of course played basketball at Duke (1974-'77). He sounds like a great candidate!

BigWayne
08-21-2018, 06:37 PM
Fabulous list! So for $30k you can have a "window" named after you in Cameron, how in heaven's (K's) name do you do that? Least expensive opportunity on the list is the softball field's "dugout helmut cubby."
Wow. I avoid golf courses like the plague, otherwise I have to think a mere $15 million for the Duke golf course would be right up my alley.

Question: who is the genius at what school who figured out you can get money from a donor for the stadium name, and another contribution from someone else for the field? Perhaps sidelines will also be auctioned off?

What's clear is that universities these days are insatiable fundraisers.

p.s. if you can have a window named after you, isn't it pretty obvious that the crow's nest will soon make the list?

Note that I think the $5K is for just one cubby for one helmet. I am basing that off the way they have lockers listed vs. the locker room naming rights.

OldPhiKap
08-21-2018, 06:49 PM
I'm old enough to remember when the PGA golf tournament in Greensboro was simply the Greater Greensboro Open, aka GGO.

I think it's had a half-dozen iterations since then, as corporate sponsors come and go.

Signed,

The Jim Sumner Acme Poster.

The Masters is still the Masters. Come on down.

uh_no
08-21-2018, 06:57 PM
The Masters is still the Masters. Come on down.

if you have passes, I'll even pony up for the beer :D

OldPhiKap
08-21-2018, 06:58 PM
if you have passes, I'll even pony up for the beer :D

The beer is crazy cheap. The food is crazy cheap. It’s the getting in that’s the trick . . . .

uh_no
08-21-2018, 07:32 PM
The beer is crazy cheap. The food is crazy cheap. It’s the getting in that’s the trick . . . .

that's why I offered the beer :) 30$ could probably do us BOTH in for the day.

Kimist
08-28-2018, 10:09 PM
From the Durham newspaper:
https://www.heraldsun.com/sports/article217272105.html

"[Mike] Cragg said Cameron has lost about 30 seats due to the project. But the arena’s capacity remains at 9,314."

k

uh_no
08-28-2018, 10:16 PM
From the Durham newspaper:
https://www.heraldsun.com/sports/article217272105.html

"[Mike] Cragg said Cameron has lost about 30 seats due to the project. But the arena’s capacity remains at 9,314."

k

Glad to know that duke students are fitter than ever :) :)

House P
08-29-2018, 04:21 PM

While I don't think he has any connection to Duke, maybe somebody should reach out to the director of Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, and Vanilla Sky.

That way, we could have

The Cameron Crowe Cameron Crow's Nest!

OldPhiKap
08-29-2018, 04:43 PM
While I don't think he has any connection to Duke, maybe somebody should reach out to the director of Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, and Vanilla Sky.

That way, we could have

The Cameron Crowe Cameron Crow's Nest!

This has to happen. Cameron Crowe’s Cameron’s Crows Nest would be epic.