PDA

View Full Version : Going to Kenan stadium

kfan
09-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Taking the family to UNC game Saturday. I have done this a couple times before and have been stuck in traffic and endured long waits for Tar Heel express bus. Any advice on where to park and how to avoid traffic? I don't mind a long walk to stadium? thanks!

asbcheeks
09-20-2017, 12:16 AM
You can buy prepaid $10 parking in a couple lots within walking distance (~20min) of the stadium thru UNC's parking site.

https://move.unc.edu/events/football/

My group is parking in the Hibbard lot and getting there early to tailgate and, hopefully, avoid the worst of the traffic. Would be great to see some more Pantone 287 there.

aimo
09-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Take your barf bag, in case your stomach can't handle all that icky blue.

94duke
09-20-2017, 08:39 AM
I believe Park and Ride is available.
https://move.unc.edu/events/football/

plimnko
09-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Take your barf bag, in case your stomach can't handle all that icky blue.

set up a decontamination shower outside your house to prevent infection

PDDuke85
09-20-2017, 09:32 AM
set up a decontamination shower outside your house to prevent infection
and don't forget a tetanus shot in case you step on a rusty redacted transcript

PackMan97
09-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Taking the family to UNC game Saturday. I have done this a couple times before and have been stuck in traffic and endured long waits for Tar Heel express bus. Any advice on where to park and how to avoid traffic? I don't mind a long walk to stadium? thanks!

Save the money and come visit us at Carter Finely when Duke comes to town in 2020. We have ample parking next to the stadium and half of the parking is in grass lots which make for FANTASTIC tailgaiting. You'll also find that if you let our basketball team beat you guys a few times between now and then and you routinely beat up on the heels, our fans will be quite friendly :)

Indoor66
09-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Save the money and come visit us at Carter Finely when Duke comes to town in 2020. We have ample parking next to the stadium and half of the parking is in grass lots which make for FANTASTIC tailgaiting. You'll also find that if you let our basketball team beat you guys a few times between now and then and you routinely beat up on the heels, our fans will be quite friendly :)

What a salesman! :D As to going to the dump on the hump for a game, it is like having a dose of applause.

UrinalCake
09-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Duke ticket office just sent an email with a link to this page, so I thought I'd pass it along for anyone going to the game. UNC stadium officials have instituted a "clear bag" policy requiring entrants to use clear plastic bags for their belongings in order to expedite security screening.

link (http://goheels.com/news/2017/9/6/clearbag.aspx)

This is in conflict with their "opaque bag" policy regarding the academic course load of their athletes, which is none of the NCAA's business.

Trinity_93
09-20-2017, 11:25 AM

What he said. I grew up a State fan, sitting in the Wolves' Den at CF five fine fall Saturdays a year, and I can highly recommend the atmosphere and the people. Additionally, their athletes are also students at the university they represent, just like Duke's.

Dukehky
09-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Park and Ride at the Friday Center.

kfan
09-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Park and Ride at the Friday Center.

Thanks for suggestions. I have done the park and ride from Friday center before. The wait to get on a bus to return after the game was more than I could take, and I made the lengthy walk back. All and all, a win is the only way to make the whole experience bearable.

elvis14
09-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Duke ticket office just sent an email with a link to this page, so I thought I'd pass it along for anyone going to the game. UNC stadium officials have instituted a "clear bag" policy requiring entrants to use clear plastic bags for their belongings in order to expedite security screening.

link (http://goheels.com/news/2017/9/6/clearbag.aspx)

This is in conflict with their "opaque bag" policy regarding the academic course load of their athletes, which is none of the NCAA's business.

Word on the street is that UNCheat is trying to keep people from bringing in books, pamphlets, notes, etc. Basically anything that will confuse their players. Their biggest fear is someone sneaking a book or two into the end zone and having their players either trying to figure out what it is or how to get away from it (university officials will help with this).

Reilly
09-20-2017, 05:21 PM
Maybe P.J. Hairston drives for Uber now and could get you there quickly via a 93 mph ride.

weezie
09-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Do me a solid and thumb your nose at any holes making dopey comments.

cbarry
09-20-2017, 09:27 PM
Same experience here. I have done Park and Ride from the Friday Center. After the game, we waited a loooooooonnnnnggg time. It seemed like several hours, but was probably "only" an hour and a half. Never again. I am way too impatient to wait in line that long. Plenty of parking along the Manning Dr. corridor and a 20-30 min walk. Let's hope it's a happy walk back to your car for you and the other Duke fans in attendance!

Thanks for suggestions. I have done the park and ride from Friday center before. The wait to get on a bus to return after the game was more than I could take, and I made the lengthy walk back. All and all, a win is the only way to make the whole experience bearable.

duke2x
09-21-2017, 12:11 AM
I'll third the recommendation to avoid the bus system. Parking in the Friday Center is a 14:00-20:00 proposition. You will spend an hour on that bus each way. Parking at University Mall was better but is no longer an option.

I prefer to drive and will again this year. Lots open at 8:00 for a 15:30 game. You still have to get there 2 hours early, but you will have more freedom to enjoy the day. I wait at least an hour after the game before driving home, and I still run into game traffic before I get to the interstate.

The only ways to avoid the traffic is a Duke blowout or 20,000 people at Alcoa Field/Baba O'Riley stadium. Don't count on that. This Duke team had some flaws exposed last week, and this UNC team is better than the last Spurrier team.

Try the wine and cheese at the concession stands. I do this every two years, and I'm always satisfied with the quality product I receive. :)

If Duke should win, which I still believe is only 50-50, take a picture of the scoreboard BEFORE the clock runs out. They are rather sensitive about that in Chapel Hill. You will notice on Youtube that they turned the scoreboards off before Austin Rivers's shot was good in 2012. I don't think they can legally turn it off with 0:10 or 0:02 left.

Highlander
09-21-2017, 03:11 PM
What he said. I grew up a State fan, sitting in the Wolves' Den at CF five fine fall Saturdays a year, and I can highly recommend the atmosphere and the people. Additionally, their athletes are also students at the university they represent, just like Duke's.

I wish we played State every year. Duke/State games when I was in school were usually competitive. Would rather play them than any of the recent conference additions.

CameronBlue
09-21-2017, 03:53 PM
I'll third the recommendation to avoid the bus system. Parking in the Friday Center is a 14:00-20:00 proposition. You will spend an hour on that bus each way. Parking at University Mall was better but is no longer an option.

When I was in grad school at the Dump on the Hump with the adolescent punks (better check those lyrics: http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/manfredmannsearthband.shtml) parking was a nightmare. Students were forever trying to scheme their way into a faculty lot, handicap space or other restricted zone of some sort. One of my fellow lab techs used to hang a crucifix and a clerical collar from his car mirror, slap a magnetic fish above his rear tail light, and toss a King James on the dash. He would then park in the "Reserved for Clergy" spaces behind UNC Hospitals, just steps away from the School of Public Health in Rosenau Hall. Kenan Stadium is even closer. Just sayin'

OldPhiKap
09-21-2017, 04:05 PM
I wish we played State every year. Duke/State games when I was in school were usually competitive. Would rather play them than any of the recent conference additions.

Games against BC or Pitt don't bring the same level of excitement?

I too wish that we played State and Wake every year. But dem days is gone.

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Games against BC or Pitt don't bring the same level of excitement?

I too wish that we played State and Wake every year. But dem days is gone.
We do, don't we?