PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-19-17

jimsumner
09-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Duke is playing the University of North Carolina this weekend.

They’re a local school.

There’s something of a rivalry there, I’m told.

David Cutcliffe calls this a “grocery store game,” as in lose and folks give you a hard time in the grocery store.

Johathan Lloyd is from Graham, N.C., just west of Durham.

Lloyd actually grew up an Ohio State fan but still had a pretty good grip on the Duke-Carolina rivalry.

“It means a lot to me, just being from here and knowing a lot of guys over there. A bunch of family are Carolina fans anyway. . . . . so I was aware of it and watched it. But they weren’t my team. A lot of excitement just because of who it is. It has so much meaning for the community.”

Bryon Fields, Jr. was born in Pittsburgh but went to high school in Charlotte. Yes, he’s a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Fields is a redshirt senior and says most of the guys he knew from Carolina have graduated. Fields sat out the 2015 game rehabbing ACL surgery and in fact didn’t even travel to Chapel Hill, watching the Tar Heels blow Duke out 66-31.

“They beat us pretty bad. That’s definitely in the back of my mind. I don’t want to talk to much about that one.”

“You grow up around it,” Fields says of the rivalry, “more so in basketball. But both football programs have made great strides as far as building their programs. I think the football rivalry is growing. You definitely take more pride in it as you grow older and become more familiar with the other side and become more ingrained in the rivalry, especially since it’s my last one.”

Fields said he was not recruited by UNC and was a fan of “whoever was recruiting me.”

Offensive guard Zach Harmon is from Toledo, Ohio. He says he knew of the Duke-Carolina rivalry because of the basketball games. “We talk about them and we know how important the rivalry is. We lost badly (45-20) to them my freshman year and that left a bad taste in my mouth and ingrained in me how big the rivalry is.”

This is the first road game for a lot of Duke’s young team.

Fields says he tries to convey his attitude towards road games. “I like road games. I like the energy. I like being the underdog, being the enemy, being the bad guy.”

Cutcliffe says road inexperience “can be [a factor] for the start of a ball game. But once you get hit and settle in to the game, it fades away.” He added that opening close to home, staying in the same hotel, not having to get on a plane should help the young players stay focused.

Harmon on better pass blocking. “It’s composure. We know what we can do. We protect Daniel every day in practice. We can do a better job coordinating. The biggest thing is knowing that if we can keep Daniel clean, he’s going to put points on the board.”

Harmon praised true freshman Rakavius Chambers. “You wouldn’t know he was a freshman. He’s very mature.”

Cutcliffe says Duke has to do a better job of pass protection this week. He says his laundry list on pass protection was “about 18 lines long,” including “consistency, proper sets, proper communication and recognition, throwing the ball on time. Some of them were held balls, not throwing it away.”

The expectation is that Surrat will take most of the QB snaps for Carolina Saturday but that Carolina doesn’t really change their offense when Harris takes over. Preparation is the same for both.

Speaking of Surrat, you may recall that he committed to Duke before changing his mind. Cut deflected any attempt to discuss his de-commitment in detail, stating that he was concerned with the players he had, not the players he didn’t have. Said he is an old bass fisherman and he learned long ago not to worry about the ones that got away, adding that when he sets the hook, not many get away.

He added that Surrat ended up going where he wanted to go, which is the goal of the process.

Duke tried Shaun Wilson as punt returner against Baylor because T.J. Rahming is banged up. Cut says Wilson “struggled catching the bombs. That guy from Baylor is unusual.”

More than likely Wilson will return punts this weekend. Duke is working with other options but Cut declined to name them.

Rahming and Bracey still fighting through injuries.

Duke has been quite effective on third and fourth down defense. Cut says that the run defense has improved and is forcing more third and longs. Says Coach Knowles has confidence in his team’s ability to execute what he calls and cites Duke’s preparation “at every position.”

Explosives? “We had three plays that resulted in touchdowns that equaled 196 yards,” Cutcliffe said. “You can’t win consistently doing that. They have the ability to run the ball, to throw it. You have to have sound technique, you have to play fast. You take the tape and learn from it and make it better on Tuesday and made it better again on Thursday. You prepare as well as you possibly can.”

Fields added that Duke had some guys lined up wrong on the big plays and noted that Carolina runs a lot of hurry-up offense. Duke needs to get it right this week and down the road.

Bob Green
09-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Thanks as always, Jim. These posts are gold.

Duke tried Shaun Wilson as punt returner against Baylor because T.J. Rahming is banged up. Cut says Wilson “struggled catching the bombs. That guy from Baylor is unusual.”

More than likely Wilson will return punts this weekend. Duke is working with other options but Cut declined to name them.

Rahming and Bracey still fighting through injuries.

I'm glad to read Wilson will "more than likely" return punts again this weekend. He struggled mightily against Baylor but perhaps he needs more time to adjust to the role. With his shiftiness and explosive speed, it would be a mistake to give up on him. Wilson could struggle again or he could take one to the house.

Rahming and Bracey being dinged up is concerning; however, there is a lot of depth on the roster at receiver.

Richard Berg
09-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Wilson isn't the first Dukie to have multiple punts go over his head. I've wondered for years why we don't line up our returners farther back. It's much easier to step toward the ball than to backpedal while craning your neck upwards.

devildeac
09-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Wilson isn't the first Dukie to have multiple punts go over his head. I've wondered for years why we don't line up our returners farther back. It's much easier to step toward the ball than to backpedal while craning your neck upwards while looking into the blinding sun burning all the attendees at WW on yet another very warm Saturday afternoon.

Embellishment added. ;)

chrishoke
09-19-2017, 04:47 PM
I think Wilson will do fine. The Baylor pounter was awesome! Coach Wade would have loved that kid.

OldPhiKap
09-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Jim. The "must spread comments" block hits you a lot in football season from my computer.

Dev11
09-20-2017, 11:45 AM
The punt returning and the missed defensive assignments seem like potential trouble against UNC. Their offense moves quickly. That said, I think our defense will react to their sometimes uneven performance against Baylor and plug those holes. They see UNC every year, and even though UNC has a new QB, the offense still works the same way.

I can't wait to see Rahming or Bracey back there on punt returns.

arnie
09-20-2017, 11:49 AM
The punt returning and the missed defensive assignments seem like potential trouble against UNC. Their offense moves quickly. That said, I think our defense will react to their sometimes uneven performance against Baylor and plug those holes. They see UNC every year, and even though UNC has a new QB, the offense still works the same way.

I can't wait to see Rahming or Bracey back there on punt returns.

Agree with this. I'd also be OK if we simply caught the punts on the flly and didn't advance them. That would be an improvement.

budwom
09-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Agree with this. I'd also be OK if we simply caught the punts on the flly and didn't advance them. That would be an improvement.

About the only good thing about our punt returns has been that we haven't fumbled them. By the way, it looked like Rahming might have jammed a finger on one of his non pass receptions...hope that doesn't linger.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2017, 12:01 PM
By the way, it looked like Rahming might have jammed a finger on one of his non pass receptions...hope that doesn't linger.

Yeah, I remember seeing that but do not recall whether he caught any more passes that day or not.

To state the obvious -- we need everything we've got on Saturday. Will be a war.

LGD!!!

devildeac
09-20-2017, 02:34 PM
About the only good thing about our punt returns has been that we haven't fumbled them. By the way, it looked like Rahming might have jammed a finger on one of his non pass receptions...hope that doesn't linger.

Our younger son-in-law, watching on TV, was concerned he may have dislocated a finger on that play. Guess we'll find out Thursday if he's on the injury report with an "upper body" listing. :rolleyes:

Bob Green
09-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Guess we'll find out Thursday if he's on the injury report...

I'm anxiously awaiting the injury report posting. It seems we have a "health advantage" right now so hopefully there are no surprises tomorrow.

markn
09-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Our biggest issue this week might not be our punt returning but actually our punting. Austin Parker couldn't punt to save his life last week and if he can't pin the cheats inside the 20 at least a few times on Saturday we might be in trouble.

Indoor66
09-20-2017, 06:31 PM
I see the line has moved to -2.5

Sir Stealth
09-20-2017, 06:37 PM
He added that opening close to home, staying in the same hotel, not having to get on a plane should help the young players stay focused.

Am I reading this right, the team actually moves into a hotel for this game? Seems like some players might already live closer to UNCheat's stadium than a hotel would be. Is this just taking advantage of allowances for road games to corral everyone together and stay focused and out of trouble?

OldPhiKap
09-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Am I reading this right, the team actually moves into a hotel for this game? Seems like some players might already live closer to UNCheat's stadium than a hotel would be. Is this just taking advantage of allowances for road games to corral everyone together and stay focused and out of trouble?

I believe they actually do this for home games as well. Out of the dorm, into the team routine.

sagegrouse
09-20-2017, 07:20 PM

The Duke football team has been staying in hotels before home games since the 1960's; at least, that was the practice when I was in school and I thought it had continued.

OZ
09-20-2017, 07:21 PM
I believe they actually do this for home games as well. Out of the dorm, into the team routine.

That is correct.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-20-2017, 07:53 PM

You are correct. Each of the local teams patronizes a local hotel for the evening before a home game.

Duke has a routine that changes little except for occasional adjustment because of the kickoff time the next day. A short while after the team arrives and each player gets settled into the room assigned to him, team meetings and the evening meal get underway.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Unlike Wallace Wade, Kenan will be loud on Saturday. Anyone know if we have practiced indoors with the speakers cranked up? We have done it before other away games.

alteran
09-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Our biggest issue this week might not be our punt returning but actually our punting. Austin Parker couldn't punt to save his life last week and if he can't pin the cheats inside the 20 at least a few times on Saturday we might be in trouble.

He seemed more inconsistent than not being able to punt for his life. In fact, he seemed to get better as the game went along. His placement punts could maybe have been better, but we also had some bad luck there.

budwom
09-21-2017, 12:43 PM
He seemed more inconsistent than not being able to punt for his life. In fact, he seemed to get better as the game went along. His placement punts could maybe have been better, but we also had some bad luck there.

Unfortunately he punts farther when he's pooch kicking, showing that a relaxed motion is more effective. Baylor and NW each flipped the field on us a few times which is regrettable, considering the defense did its job.

budwom
09-21-2017, 12:45 PM
You are correct. Each of the local teams patronizes a local hotel for the evening before a home game.

Duke has a routine that changes little except for occasional adjustment because of the kickoff time the next day. A short while after the team arrives and each player gets settled into the room assigned to him, team meetings and the evening meal get underway.

we have had the dubious honor for years (me and my travelling companion) of staying at the Marriott RTP out on Miami Blvd where the hole team stays friday nights before home games....I have chatted up some of their players on the elevator, and they tend to be
pleasant young fellows, as much as I wish them a distinct lack of gridiron success.

Indoor66
09-21-2017, 01:13 PM
we have had the dubious honor for years (me and my travelling companion) of staying at the Marriott RTP out on Miami Blvd where the hole team stays friday nights before home games...I have chatted up some of their players on the elevator, and they tend to be
pleasant young fellows, as much as I wish them a distinct lack of gridiron success.

Did you have to point them to the correct floor or could they read their key?

johnb
09-21-2017, 01:16 PM
we have had the dubious honor for years (me and my travelling companion) of staying at the Marriott RTP out on Miami Blvd where the hole team stays friday nights before home games...I have chatted up some of their players on the elevator, and they tend to be

With a few examples, I'd have been happy to have had most of their football and basketball players on our team.

I just don't like their athletic administrators, coaches, university leaders, faculty, fans, and cyan-azure attitude.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2017, 01:28 PM
With a few examples, I'd have been happy to have had most of their football and basketball players on our team.

There is a reason that many of them chose a school that they knew would shuffle them through without having to do any real work.
I'm happy that they made the choice they did, they would not have survived at Duke. Blame the coaches, and the players. One said "Party on Garth!" and the other replied "Schwing!" Both guilty.

alteran
09-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately he punts farther when he's pooch kicking, showing that a relaxed motion is more effective. Baylor and NW each flipped the field on us a few times which is regrettable, considering the defense did its job.

I thought he had a number of encouraging kicks in the second half. Now, as a Duke football fan, I have a lot of basketball expertise, so maybe what looked good to me wasn't that great.

Hopefully, we'll get this figured out, because it was disheartening for the defense to do so well and then have the opposing team dump us back an extra 25 yards on punts. If that differential holds this weekend, it's going to be a long day.

Highlander
09-21-2017, 03:00 PM
The Duke football team has been staying in hotels before home games since the 1960's; at least, that was the practice when I was in school and I thought it had continued.

Is the primary reason for this to ensure kids don't stay out late the night before a game, to establish a similar routine before all games (home or away), or something else entirely? Any insight on why the practice started?

budwom
09-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Is the primary reason for this to ensure kids don't stay out late the night before a game, to establish a similar routine before all games (home or away), or something else entirely? Any insight on why the practice started?

Control. Football coaches love control. Minimize chances for player escapades, distractions, etc. Eating, sleeping, meetings are controlled with a very rigid schedule.
(pretty expensive, of course, but what the heck, it's college football).

sagegrouse
09-21-2017, 03:49 PM

Focus, focus, focus. "Staying out late" is only one of the reasons, I expect. There are team meals and team meetings. There is no athletic dorm at Duke, so the football players are spread out at on-campus and off-campus locations. And, I suppose, there are distractions....

Anyway, Bill Murray started it in either 1962 or 1963.

chrishoke
09-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Another good injury report for Duke this week.

PROBABLE

LB Brandon Hill (leg)

QUESTIONABLE

DT Quaven Ferguson (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

C Will Taylor (leg)

OldPhiKap
09-21-2017, 04:34 PM

PROBABLE

LB Brandon Hill (leg)

QUESTIONABLE

DT Quaven Ferguson (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

C Will Taylor (leg)

good report

Richard Berg
09-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Way better than last year's, but Cutcliffe's methodology doesn't exactly inspire trust. Bracey and Rahming weren't listed last week, either. We'll just have to see who gets used -- can't wait!

chrishoke
09-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Way better than last year's, but Cutcliffe's methodology doesn't exactly inspire trust. Bracey and Rahming weren't listed last week, either. We'll just have to see who gets used -- can't wait!

They did both play.

chrishoke
09-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Didn't know where this belonged, but conrats to Gabe.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211668699&DB_OEM_ID=4200

devildeac
09-21-2017, 08:52 PM

PROBABLE

LB Brandon Hill (leg)

QUESTIONABLE

DT Quaven Ferguson (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

C Will Taylor (leg)

Happy to see Rahming and Bracey missing from that list.

Thanks.

sagegrouse
09-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Didn't know where this belonged, but conrats to Gabe.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211668699&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The lede on the story --

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke redshirt senior offensive tackle Gabe Brandner has been named to the 2017 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team®, the Allstate Insurance Company and American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) announced on Thursday. The Good Works Team® award honors dedication to volunteerism and enriching the lives of others.

hallcity
09-21-2017, 10:51 PM

PROBABLE

LB Brandon Hill (leg)

QUESTIONABLE

DT Quaven Ferguson (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

C Will Taylor (leg)

The UNC injury report:

Out for the Season:
Antwuan Branch, TB
Jesse Cuccia, S
Luke Elder, OL
D.J. Ford, S
Thomas Jackson, WR
Jacob Schmidt, TB
Andre Smith, LB
William Sweet, OT
Noah Turner, TE

Out:
Tommy Hatton, OL
Tyler Pritchett, OL
Ben Stobaugh, CB
Stanton Truitt, TB

Doubtful:
Corey Bell Jr., CB
Jalen Dalton, DT

Questionable:
Cam Dillard, C
Rontavius Groves, WR
Dazz Newsome, WR
Bentley Spain, OT

http://scout.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Three-More-Tar-Heels-Out-for-the-Season--107741210

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2017, 11:08 PM
The UNC injury report:

Out for the Season:
Antwuan Branch, TB
Jesse Cuccia, S
Luke Elder, OL
D.J. Ford, S
Thomas Jackson, WR
Jacob Schmidt, TB
Andre Smith, LB
William Sweet, OT
Noah Turner, TE

Out:
Tommy Hatton, OL
Tyler Pritchett, OL
Ben Stobaugh, CB
Stanton Truitt, TB

Doubtful:
Corey Bell Jr., CB
Jalen Dalton, DT

Questionable:
Cam Dillard, C
Rontavius Groves, WR
Dazz Newsome, WR
Bentley Spain, OT

http://scout.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Three-More-Tar-Heels-Out-for-the-Season--107741210

How do they have anyone left to play? That's a crazy long list.

Jim3k
09-22-2017, 02:08 AM
How do they have anyone left to play? That's a crazy long list.

We need to be careful. Injured teams often can step up for a game. Particularly a rivalry game. Duke is a prime example, even though the game was long ago. In 1971, an injury-depleted Blue Devil squad traveled to Palo Alto and nipped 10th ranked Stanford, 9-3. Duke was so low on players, two linemen had to play both ways. (The game was decided by Ernie Jackson's pick-six.)

brlftz
09-22-2017, 02:11 AM
We need to be careful. Injured teams often can step up for a game. Particularly a rivalry game. Duke is a prime example, even though the game was long ago. In 1971, an injury-depleted Blue Devil squad traveled to Palo Alto and nipped 10th ranked Stanford, 9-3. Duke was so low on players, two linemen had to play both ways. (The game was decided by Ernie Jackson's pick-six.)

The ewing theory
http://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=1193711

jv001
09-22-2017, 06:48 AM

Sporks, great memories. Ernie was a terrific CB and return man. Thanks for the post. GoDuke!

Couldn't spork but here's a big GODUKE!

OZ
09-22-2017, 08:15 PM
Sporks, great memories. Ernie was a terrific CB and return man. Thanks for the post. GoDuke!

Couldn't spork but here's a big GODUKE!

As well as a running back. I recall Coach Mike McGee telling an Iron Dukes club, Jackson sacrificed a certain All American selection by going both ways. Below article from GoDuke.Com

"Jackson was selected ACC defensive back of the week three times his senior season and became the first defensive player in ACC history to be named ACC player of the Year. But he did more than just play defense. In addition to returning two interceptions, he also returned a punt for a touchdown, averaged nearly 25 yards a kickoff return and when injuries left holes in the Blue Devils' offensive backfield, stepped in to play running back. He turned in his best game against Navy, when he rushed for 181 yards and one touchdown on just 17 carries. For that effort, Jackson was named the ACC's offensive back of the week, the first and only time in ACC history that a player won offensive and defensive honors in the same season.

devildeac
09-22-2017, 10:04 PM
The UNC injury report:

Out for the Season:
Antwuan Branch, TB
Jesse Cuccia, S
Luke Elder, OL
D.J. Ford, S
Thomas Jackson, WR
Jacob Schmidt, TB
Andre Smith, LB
William Sweet, OT
Noah Turner, TE

Out:
Tommy Hatton, OL
Tyler Pritchett, OL
Ben Stobaugh, CB
Stanton Truitt, TB

Doubtful:
Corey Bell Jr., CB
Jalen Dalton, DT

Questionable:
Cam Dillard, C
Rontavius Groves, WR
Dazz Newsome, WR
Bentley Spain, OT

I'd be happy to see some of their managers play. :o:rolleyes: