PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 27, Cheaters 17

Pages : [1] 2

Bob Green
09-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Duke opens as a three (3) point favorite at Carolina. Discuss the game here.

Pghdukie
09-17-2017, 05:46 PM
A 7:30 start time sure would have been better. But it's espn's money

chrishoke
09-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Who's going? My son and I will be there. My first time there since Roof won as our interim coach.

Bay Area Duke Fan
09-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Why does GoDuke still show starting time as "TBA"? UNC website and ESPN schedules have used 3:30 pm for the past week.

When do starting times get announced for future games?

loran16
09-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Why does GoDuke still show starting time as "TBA"? UNC website and ESPN schedules have used 3:30 pm for the past week.

When do starting times get announced for future games?

About 2 weeks in advance. So we know the start time for Duke-Miami, but not beyond (Friday at 7).

WakeDevil
09-17-2017, 10:50 PM
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Millard Fillmore was in the White House the last time Duke was favored to win in Chapel Hill. Actually, I do not know what the line was in the "scoreboard picture" contest, so I will take their word for it.

sagegrouse
09-18-2017, 12:42 AM
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Millard Fillmore was in the White House the last time Duke was favored to win in Chapel Hill. Actually, I do not know what the line was in the "scoreboard picture" contest, so I will take their word for it.

No, but Dwight Eisenhower was president when Duke was a clear favorite in November 1960, and then preceded to lose 7-6. This was the team that won
the Cotton Bowl about one month later. We were also a favorite in in both 1961 and 1962 under Kennedy and won, 6-3 and 16-14.

arnie
09-18-2017, 07:00 AM

I wouldn't take their word for it. In 1989 UNC finished 1-10 only beating VMI in their first game. We won a share of the ACC championship. I seriously doubt the heels were favored with a 9 game losing streak.

budwom
09-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Heels will score lots of points. Hopefully our OL can regroup a bit, and establish a running game that can control the clock and open up the passing game. If they do, we should prosper. If not, tough day.

davekay1971
09-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Heels will score lots of points. Hopefully our OL can regroup a bit, and establish a running game that can control the clock and open up the passing game. If they do, we should prosper. If not, tough day.

I haven't watched UNC play more than a few downs this year. But they are currently giving up 35 ppg. Granted, they played Louisville among those first 3 games, but they gave up 35 to Cal and 23 to ODU (albeit in a game that was over well before halftime). I think Duke's offense should be able to score points against Cheater Hill. Thus far, our defense has been nothing but good this season...except for those long plays given up last weekend. The Cheats offense is built for big-play potential. Our defense absolutely must work to avoid those, keep the Cheats in front of them, and make them work for their points. If we can do that, our offense should hold up their end of the bargain.

I have no idea the over-under on this game, but I'd would be shocked to see the two teams combine for 60+ points. Hopefully Duke will get most of those :-)

budwom
09-18-2017, 09:03 AM
I haven't watched UNC play more than a few downs this year. But they are currently giving up 35 ppg. Granted, they played Louisville among those first 3 games, but they gave up 35 to Cal and 23 to ODU (albeit in a game that was over well before halftime). I think Duke's offense should be able to score points against Cheater Hill. Thus far, our defense has been nothing but good this season...except for those long plays given up last weekend. The Cheats offense is built for big-play potential. Our defense absolutely must work to avoid those, keep the Cheats in front of them, and make them work for their points. If we can do that, our offense should hold up their end of the bargain.

I have no idea the over-under on this game, but I'd would be shocked to see the two teams combine for 60+ points. Hopefully Duke will get most of those :-)

yes,( bet you meant you would not be shocked to see 60 + pts)...I like our defense this year, too....but obviously the OL has some work to do...

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2017, 09:18 AM
I want to see Chazz Surratt, a Duke commit before flipping to the cheaters, get sacked all day long. I want his negative yardage alone to put all of the cheaters running game in the minus.

Dukelogger
09-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Their offense this year will definitely regress some once they get into the meat of their schedule and face tougher defenses than Cal, Lou and ODU. Still, Fedora offenses are, in general, very effective at moving the football. Its his in-game Xs and Os gaffes that have been their own demise and certainly are the reason he's not held in higher regard as a coach. Whenever their offense seems to be rolling they go away from what has been working for them and they stall out. And when these tempo offenses stall, it trickles down. I wouldn't be shocked if they jump out to a double digit lead at some point but ultimately Cut and Co. will make adjustments, and Fedora will prove once again to be incapable of countering these adjustments, and we win and go home.

OldPhiKap
09-18-2017, 10:13 AM
I want to see Chazz Surratt, a Duke commit before flipping to the cheaters, get sacked all day long. I want his negative yardage alone to put all of the cheaters running game in the minus.

Chazz is the best QB we have faced all year, so I agree.

Oh, and probably for other reasons too.

But in all seriousness, we have to bring pressure. Our D line has done a very good job this year, and I do not know much about UNC's O-line. Our blitzes have been pretty effective as well.

killerleft
09-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Who's going? My son and I will be there. My first time there since Roof won as our interim coach.

I'll be there with my wife, sister, and brother. Sister Jill got the tix through a promotion at UNC for about $20, so I'm expecting some pretty bad seats. Then again, if we get the win, and I'm very optimistic, all seats are mighty fine.:)

UrinalCake
09-18-2017, 11:52 AM
As long as we're talking history, is this the earliest (within the season) that we have ever played them?

I'll be at the game, proudly sporting my Duke gear and expecting to get beat up in the parking lot. I echo the sentiment that I'm hoping "sewer rat" has a long day after the way he flipped.

Reddevil
09-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Often when a free throw shooter rattles the first one in, he swishes the second one. I feel like Baylor was the rattled shot and this week of practice will result in the swish. Sometimes it is good to win ugly. The coach has the team's full attention. The heels saw the switching fronts, and Duke will be ready for it this time.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-18-2017, 12:19 PM
I know that Daniel is tough, but protecting him must be a high priority. A repeat of the sort of beat down Marvin Austin gave Thad Lewis would be bad, very bad indeed.

BigWayne
09-18-2017, 02:24 PM
As long as we're talking history, is this the earliest (within the season) that we have ever played them?

I'll be at the game, proudly sporting my Duke gear and expecting to get beat up in the parking lot. I echo the sentiment that I'm hoping "sewer rat" has a long day after the way he flipped.

Yes, we have never played the cheats in September. Once in March in the 1880s and mostly in November otherwise. The few times we played them in Oct or Dec are below.

1893 Oct 28th
1894 Oct 24th
1922 Oct 12th
1923 Oct 12th
1924 Oct 11th
1925 Oct 10th
1929 Oct 16th
1938 Oct 29th
1943 Oct 16th
2012 Oct 20th

1928 Dec 8th
1929 Dec 7th
1930 Dec 6th
1955 Dec 3rd

Indoor66
09-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Yes, we have never played the cheats in September. Once in March in the 1880s and mostly in November otherwise. The few times we played them in Oct or Dec are below.

1893 Oct 28th
1894 Oct 24th
1922 Oct 12th
1923 Oct 12th
1924 Oct 11th
1925 Oct 10th
1929 Oct 16th
1938 Oct 29th
1943 Oct 16th
2012 Oct 20th

1928 Dec 8th
1929 Dec 7th
1930 Dec 6th
1955 Dec 3rd

I don't quite remember the first two.... 😎

devildeac
09-18-2017, 03:16 PM
I don't quite remember the first two... ��

They should be in your childhood albums...

:p

Devilwin
09-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Hope we are ahead when the world ends...
http://about.att.com/story/att_audience_network_premieres_documentary_film_th e_sign.html

jimsumner
09-18-2017, 03:50 PM
I don't quite remember the first two... 😎

It rained in 1893. A chilly drizzle.

OldPhiKap
09-18-2017, 03:59 PM

I seem to recall that Mary Chestnut wrote a stirring description of the game.

wilson
09-18-2017, 04:03 PM

1893 Oct 28th
1894 Oct 24th
1922 Oct 12th
1923 Oct 12th
1924 Oct 11th
1925 Oct 10th
1929 Oct 16th
1938 Oct 29th
1943 Oct 16th
2012 Oct 20th

1928 Dec 8th
1929 Dec 7th
1930 Dec 6th
1955 Dec 3rdThat last October matchup was right special, as I recall...

Tripping William
09-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Hope we are ahead when the world ends...
http://about.att.com/story/att_audience_network_premieres_documentary_film_th e_sign.html

Someone should write a song (https://youtu.be/bItHTT6yLow?t=18s) about that. :o

Indoor66
09-18-2017, 04:17 PM

But wait for 2525....

rasputin
09-18-2017, 04:35 PM
But wait for 2525...

If man is still alive . . .

Pghdukie
09-18-2017, 04:40 PM

I was at those games with Moses and Noah. Moses couldn't hold his Belvedere and Noah left early because it was his bowling night. I left when the rain wouldn't let up. 40 days later ????

peloton
09-18-2017, 04:59 PM
If man is still alive . . .

If woman can survive, they may find,
In the year 3535
Tar Heels will be cheatin', if they're still alive

Bob Green
09-18-2017, 05:10 PM
I have no idea the over-under on this game...

63.5 points is the current over-under.

BigWayne
09-18-2017, 05:32 PM

Found an article on this topic at WaPo. About 20 paragraphs in, the guy predicting it hedges his bets and says the world won't end 9/23, but a lot of weird stuff will happen and the world "as we know it" will end in a few weeks. So the correct song would be this one. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY)

As to the nut doing the predicting:

Meade said he never referred to himself as a Christian numerologist. He’s a researcher, he said, and he studied astronomy at a university in Kentucky, though he declined to say which one, citing safety reasons.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2017, 06:00 PM

We tailgated during Matthew...we can do a chilly drizzle. (Pretty sure my socks are still wet.)

ricks68
09-18-2017, 06:47 PM
We tailgated during Matthew...we can do a chilly drizzle. (Pretty sure my socks are still wet.)

Heck, we went in and sat through that entire Army game after the tailgate!😨 Anything for a win!

ricks

Devilwin
09-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Ah, you don't believe, we're on the Eve, of destruction?

OldPhiKap
09-18-2017, 07:04 PM
Ah, you don't believe, we're on the Eve, of destruction?

"And as California slides into the ocean,
Like the mystics and statistics say it will,
I predict this hotel will be standing
Until I pay my bill . . . ."

-- Zevon

Oh, and bring the pressure boys!!!!

loran16
09-18-2017, 07:38 PM
So it's probably way too early for statistical analysis of either team, but I can't help but look at the statistical profiles of each team posted by Football Study Hall to try and think out how this game is going to play out.

You can find UNC's Stat profile here:
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-north-carolina-advanced-statistical-profile
and Duke's here:
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-duke-advanced-statistical-profile

Duke on Offense, Carolina on Defense

Duke's best area on Offense has been the run game, not the passing game, through 3 games. The Run game ranks 13th in the Country in "Success Rate" - basically a measure of how often the runs gain what you want to get on each type of down (so 50% of necessary yardage on first down, 70% on 2nd down, 100% on third down) - and 35th in the Country in Explosiveness - how often are we going for big plays. Basically in the running game, Duke is both efficient and explosive.

Passing wise, Duke has been average in efficiency (Dead Average in Success Rate) and well below average in Explosiveness. This should not be a surprise - Daniel Jones is still averaging only 5.9 yards per attempt outside of garbage time, which is basically last in the conference. Despite our love for the guy, he still hasn't' been as unleashed as other QBs in the conference.

The good news for Duke is that Carolina's D has been pretty bad at stopping either area (although facing Lavar Jackson is skewing things early). They're 100th in Defensive Rushing Success Rate and 79th in Defensive Rushing Explosiveness. So our run game should be able to get yards regularly and break free for a bunch of long games. Similarly, they're 104th in Defensive Passing Success Rate and 119th in Defensive Pass Explosiveness. So if Duke wants to let Jones loose, he should have some opportunities. Carolina only has 5 sacks in 3 games, so they're really not much of a threat to put pressure on the QB or the run game.

Duke should be able to move the ball and score on the Carolina D in most ways. That's not going to be the problem with this game.

Duke on Defense, Carolina on Offense

It's expected that traitorFreshman QB Chazz Surratt will get the start for UNC, after he took all but two of their passing attempts vs Old Dominion. Surratt's been good, completing a higher % of passes than Jones (in 60% as many attempts but still) with no interceptions and 4 TDs, while also throwing for a much better 7.9 yards per attempt. The UNC Passing offense is highly efficient, with a 14% Passing Success Rate. Their explosiveness isn't very good, but a lot of that is the issues they've had with their other QB who likely won't play.

Running-wise, Carolina's a bit more mixed. They're 39th in Rushing Success rate, so fairly efficient if not as good as Duke, but lack the big explosive runs (99th in explosiveness) that the Duke run game has shown. Their two RBs are a Sophomore and Freshman and have very solid 5.6 and 5.5 yards per carry averages, but neither are explosive. Surratt isn't much of a threat when he runs either, with 26 rushes at only 3 YPC (Compare Daniel Jones who has 6.3 yards per carry).

This is where we really see whether Duke's pass D was the result of facing weak offenses or is for real. Duke's Passing D is 8th in Passing Success Rate, but 124th in Defensive Explosiveness - basically, opponents against Duke have either completed big plays through the air or just nothing. We saw that against Baylor. Still, Surratt, while young, is likely the best QB Duke has seen so far, so it'll be a big test of those efficiency numbers.

Duke's rushing D has been similar - #2 in the Country at Defensive Rushing Success Rate but only 61st (just better than NCAA average) in explosiveness. There's no real sign that UNC's run game is much better than our prior opponents, so I expect us to hold well against the run here too. That said, UNC is a more pass-happy team.

-------------------------------
In short, this probably will be a higher scoring game than we've seen so far - Duke's offense should be able to put up points on the board vs UNC, whose D is likely the worst of the opponents we've faced. But Duke has yet to face a QB who has looked good at all, and while some of that is on Duke's Defense, a lot of that has been just luck of the draw. And of course we're on the road for the first time. This is a big test with a much better statistical team in Miami after Carolina.

Bob Green
09-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Carolina injuries article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article173959291.html

All told, approximately a dozen players UNC expected to either start or play a significant role this season are attempting to overcome injuries. The Tar Heels could be without several starters on Saturday against the Blue Devils...The Tar Heels’ offensive line, especially, has been a patchwork creation reliant on fill-ins. Only two of its five starters on Saturday – R.J. Prince and Khaliel Rodgers – were expected to be in line to start during the preseason.

OldPhiKap
09-18-2017, 07:53 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article173959291.html

Thanks, Bob.

BigWayne
09-18-2017, 08:25 PM

Don't be lulled into complacency. We need to be ready to fight against whatever set of poorly dressed young men they run out there.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-18-2017, 09:42 PM

Nice of Andrew to start with the excuses preemptively.

devildeac
09-18-2017, 10:16 PM

Nice of Andrew to start with the excuses preemptively.

Guess their academic fraud PR firm is doing some overtime work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbagging

Reilly
09-18-2017, 11:00 PM
September 23 is Duke blue day ... the day the executive committee of the BOT adopted our school color:

https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/uarchives/history/articles/duke-blue

BigWayne
09-19-2017, 03:04 AM
September 23 is Duke blue day ... the day the executive committee of the BOT adopted our school color:

https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/uarchives/history/articles/duke-blue
Thankfully, it's an away game, so we probably won't be wearing black.

jjredickrules
09-19-2017, 11:40 AM
It is my birthday on Saturday. All I want is for Carolina to go to Hell!

NSDukeFan
09-19-2017, 12:08 PM

The other Carolina Way?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Thankfully, it's an away game, so we probably won't be wearing black.

Since the team of Rameses will likely be awash in powder blue, an all white uniform scheme for Duke could be a statement of purity of purpose and preparation.

Dukehky
09-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Since the team of Rameses will likely be awash in powder blue, an all white uniform scheme for Duke could be a statement of purity of purpose and preparation.

All black. We don't bring the darkness, we are the darkness.

English
09-19-2017, 03:08 PM

That's a fun thought, but White vs Lite Blue is awfully confusing for players and viewers, practically speaking. Please no.

PackMan97
09-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Sadly, DBR Forum rules prevent me from saying how badly I want Duke to beat Carolina.

Let's just say, it's quite a bit.

Indoor66
09-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Sadly, DBR Forum rules prevent me from saying how badly I want Duke to beat Carolina.

Let's just say, it's quite a bit.

How subtle....:p;):cool:

chrishoke
09-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Uniform for Saturday. Script helmets.

killerleft
09-21-2017, 12:12 PM

That's to confuse the tar heel football players.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2017, 01:30 PM

Sweet! Lots disagree, but I love those.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2017, 01:39 PM
As long as the Victory Bell is dark blue by sundown Saturday, I don't care what we wear.

Rip 'em up, boys!

Bob Green
09-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Another article on Carolina's injuries:

https://accsports.com/acc-news/football/unc-football-injury-update-and-who-steps-in/

North Carolina heads into Saturday’s Victory Bell showdown with Duke resembling a M.A.S.H. unit. Over the course of training camp and three games, the Tar Heels have lost numerous starters to injuries. The list includes linebacker Andre Smith, offensive linemen Bentley Spain, Cam Dillard, and William Sweet, defensive lineman Jalen Dalton, defensive back Myles Dorn, and wide receivers Thomas Jackson and Dazz Newsome. Sweet, Dalton, Dorn, Newsome, and Jackson were all injured in UNC’s road victory at Old Dominion.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2017, 03:15 PM

https://accsports.com/acc-news/football/unc-football-injury-update-and-who-steps-in/

I hope for a full recovery for all of them. Hate to see kids get hurt, no matter what team they are on.

DukieInKansas
09-21-2017, 03:41 PM
I hope for a full recovery for all of them. Hate to see kids get hurt, no matter what team they are on.

But may their full recovery start next Thursday, please?

Bob Green
09-21-2017, 05:54 PM
The Duke offense is best when it is balanced. I've stated that many times, because I believe it strongly. Therefore, Duke will need to successfully run and pass to beat Carolina. However, I do believe Duke will emphasize the run game a bit more than normal because of the success Duke has had running the ball against the Tar Heels. Duke is 3-2 against Carolina in the Coach Larry Fedora era. Over those five seasons, in the Carolina game, Duke has averaged 218 rushing yards per game.

On Saturday, I expect Duke to play some power football with two back sets, we saw a few of those against Baylor, and double tight end sets. For conversational purposes, I'll throw 250 yards rushing on the table as an over/under and take the over.

Carolina is giving up 173.3 yards per game on the ground so far this season while Duke is averaging 240.7 yards per game. I'm of the opinion Coach Cutcliffe will look to run the ball down Carolina's throat while looking for opportunities to hit passes downfield. While the Duke offensive strategy is typically to pass in order to open up the run game, against Carolina the strategy will be to run in order to set-up passing opportunities.

chrishoke
09-21-2017, 06:11 PM
I agree Bob. I think Duke will try to play ball control, dominate time of possession, and keep the heel offense off the field.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2017, 07:25 PM
The Duke offense is best when it is balanced. I've stated that many times, because I believe it strongly. Therefore, Duke will need to successfully run and pass to beat Carolina. However, I do believe Duke will emphasize the run game a bit more than normal because of the success Duke has had running the ball against the Tar Heels. Duke is 3-2 against Carolina in the Coach Larry Fedora era. Over those five seasons, in the Carolina game, Duke has averaged 218 rushing yards per game.

On Saturday, I expect Duke to play some power football with two back sets, we saw a few of those against Baylor, and double tight end sets. For conversational purposes, I'll throw 250 yards rushing on the table as an over/under and take the over.

Carolina is giving up 173.3 yards per game on the ground so far this season while Duke is averaging 240.7 yards per game. I'm of the opinion Coach Cutcliffe will look to run the ball down Carolina's throat while looking for opportunities to hit passes downfield. While the Duke offensive strategy is typically to pass in order to open up the run game, against Carolina the strategy will be to run in order to set-up passing opportunities.

Let's not let the bolded part go by so easily.

Runs and play-passes make the world go 'round. Not really worried about the offense, worries about explosives on the defensive end and our special teams. Team with the fewest mistakes wins.

Bob Green
09-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Carolina injury report:

OldPhiKap
09-21-2017, 07:43 PM
Carolina injury report:

Brutal. And, we've been there.

Hope they all have full recoveries. Probably should rest up this Saturday though. No need to rush back prematurely and mess with the healing.

moonpie23
09-21-2017, 08:05 PM

i smell a rat....

devildeac
09-21-2017, 08:57 PM

We'll see how much of the above is taking place with that report.

devildeac
09-21-2017, 08:59 PM
i smell a Hat...

FIFY.

:rolleyes:

Bob Green
09-22-2017, 05:00 AM
i smell a rat...

You can smell to your heart's content...those players listed as "Out for the Season" and "Out" are not playing tomorrow. Time will tell on the "Questionable" and "Doubtful" players.

DT Jalen Dalton (Doubtful) and C Cam Dillard (Questionable) are big losses if they are unable to go.

Duke is going to win the game due to superior talent and coaching. The injury situation hurts Carolina but if some of those guys end up playing, it will not catch the Duke coaching staff napping.

BoiseDevil
09-22-2017, 08:28 AM
i smell a rat...

The rat's name is Chazzzzzz...

Good nose.

Indoor66
09-22-2017, 09:59 AM
The money is on the cheats. Duke is at -1.5 from the open at -3.

Dukelogger
09-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Fedora is now 2-3 vs Duke, and in each of the three losses the goats have had a lead in the 4th quarter (didn't look up last year, and it may have been late in the 3rd when we scored our last td but I guess the point remains.) While our kicking game woes scare me, if this comes down to the wire, ultimately in Coach Cut I trust.

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Every time you hear "Surratt flipped", drink.
Every time you hear "injury report", drink.

Might want to mute the first half if you want to be awake for the second.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Friendly(?) wager... My Tar Heel Neighbor and stepson to Don Altman (ask your parents) and I made a wager. Usually we wager liquor, but this time it is a bit more interesting. Losing team's fan has to wear provided team paraphernalia from the winning team for the first Duke/UNC basketball matchup.

The good news is, if Duke loses, I have about five months to sell my house and move away...

Indoor66
09-22-2017, 04:40 PM
The good news is, if Duke loses, I have about five months to sell my house and move away...

If necessary, burn it to the ground and leave....😋

DukieInKansas
09-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Friendly(?) wager... My Tar Heel Neighbor and stepson to Don Altman (ask your parents) and I made a wager. Usually we wager liquor, but this time it is a bit more interesting. Losing team's fan has to wear provided team paraphernalia from the winning team for the first Duke/UNC basketball matchup.

I can fake an emergency where you have to come to Kansas to help a friend for the game.

CameronBlue
09-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Every time you hear "Surratt flipped", drink.
Every time you hear "injury report", drink.

Might want to mute the first half if you want to be awake for the second.

Well that game is self-muting so either way you're going to miss a half of football.

OldPhiKap
09-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Game Day!!!!!

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2017, 10:19 AM
I need to be at my gallery today, but I still gotta have a grill fired up! Plus, perfect day to use my parking sign. ;)

Faison1
09-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Was the game always at 3:30 EST?

I could have sworn this thread said it was 12:30 EST!!!

Did they change the start time?

My issue is two-fold.....I'm on the West Coast, and I'm getting older....

Bob Green
09-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Was the game always at 3:30 EST?

Yes.

Did they change the start time?

No.

Avvocato
09-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Hate admitting it but Carolina offense appears to still be legit. Didn't expect that coming into the year. We need to control the ball, score touchdowns (not field goals, but make kicks when we have to). Let's limit turnovers and big plays on defense. Pretty much the recipe every week. We'll get a better sense of our defense today. Hopefully we can get a lead and play from out front. I'm hoping our defense makes enough plays allowing our offense to win it. Let's get it done. Let's go Duke.

Troublemaker
09-23-2017, 03:00 PM
UNC is now a 2.5-pt favorite at most books. The professionals are on the Heels. Let's see if Duke can prove them wrong.

loran16
09-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Is there no crazietalk or dbr chat for this game? I'm getting page not found.

cbarry
09-23-2017, 03:13 PM
If I bet on sports, which I do not, I would take Duke and the points! I predict we win 54-47. Go Duke!!

UNC is now a 2.5-pt favorite at most books. The professionals are on the Heels. Let's see if Duke can prove them wrong.

devildeac
09-23-2017, 03:34 PM

http://crazietalk.net/chat/

Try above link.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Why is ESPNU making us watch this crappy KU-WVU blow out game?

riverside6
09-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Advanced live stats and play analysis for Duke/UNC...

https://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-unc-football-live-stats-09232017

brevity
09-23-2017, 03:40 PM

DBR Chat seems to work.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

loran16
09-23-2017, 03:58 PM
http://crazietalk.net/chat/

Try above link.

Hmm maybe it's my mobile phone not working then

JasonEvans
09-23-2017, 04:00 PM

Wow, it is incredibly rare to see a line move as much as this one did. Duke went from being a FG fave to a FG underdog... really interesting. There must have been a ton of money on Carolina. If the Heels win by more than 3, the Vegas books are probably going to take a bit of a beating on this one.

fuse
09-23-2017, 04:00 PM
C’mon Devils! Let’s go!

duke09hms
09-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Any free streams for ESPNU?

JasonEvans
09-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Wow, it is incredibly rare to see a line move as much as this one did. Duke went from being a FG fave to a FG underdog... really interesting. There must have been a ton of money on Carolina. If the Heels win by more than 3, the Vegas books are probably going to take a bit of a beating on this one.

The bookies are not going to lose!!

Brittain Brown doing work...

JasonEvans
09-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Any free streams for ESPNU?

Watch ESPN app... crystal clear on my phone right now.

chriso
09-23-2017, 04:37 PM
I wonder what chant the FSU fans do when they are 0 and 2. :) Go Duke!

PDDuke85
09-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Concerned about Brittain Brown's clavicle

uh_no
09-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Concerned about Brittain Brown's clavicle

concerned about what the flippity flap just happened before halftime

Troublemaker
09-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Wow, catastrophic end of half. Should be up 13-3 at halftime. Instead, it's 10-10.

We'll have to be mentally tough and regroup.

Indoor66
09-23-2017, 04:52 PM
That sucks

Mabdul Doobakus
09-23-2017, 04:53 PM
That took 3 TERRIBLE mishaps in a row.

uh_no
09-23-2017, 04:53 PM
That sucks

that's self inflicted. ouch. hope the secondary is running stairs at halftime.

dukelifer
09-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Wow, catastrophic end of half. Should be up 13-3 at halftime. Instead, it's 10-10.

We'll have to be mentally tough and regroup.

Very familiar end of the half play for the Duke program.

arnie
09-23-2017, 04:56 PM
that's self inflicted. ouch. hope the secondary is running stairs at halftime.

Special teams a big part of our poor season last year. We don't have the dominant athletes to repeatedly screw up - need this fixed to go bowling.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-23-2017, 04:56 PM
That escalated quickly.

Why is our kicking game such a bugaboo?

WillJ
09-23-2017, 04:58 PM
Stuff happens....but we were really boneheaded at the end there. Really boneheaded.

uh_no
09-23-2017, 04:58 PM
That escalated quickly.

Why is our kicking game such a bugaboo?

is it just me, or did the holder drop the ball right before the kick?

Only saw the replay once, but looks like not only did the line fail, but the hold meant the high was low and left.

ns7
09-23-2017, 05:00 PM

Only saw the replay once, but looks like not only did the line fail, but the hold meant the high was low and left.

The kick looked low. A chip shot shouldn't get blocked at the line.

DukeDevil
09-23-2017, 05:00 PM

SHOULD be 17-3 if that pass wasn't dropped

WillJ
09-23-2017, 05:01 PM

The ball fell away from the holder's finger as he placed it.....it was on the holder not the kicker.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Let's kick some Heel rear on the opening drive! GTHC, GTH!!!!

ns7
09-23-2017, 05:03 PM
SHOULD be 17-3 if that pass wasn't dropped

That was a bad one too. But unc has been bad outside of 3 plays. Just need to keep doing what's working and Duke should win.

Atldukie79
09-23-2017, 05:04 PM
The botched FG was not good. But the TD for UNC was self inflicted. Why are we in single man to man coverage? If there ever was a time for a prevent defense. Who cares if either of those pass attempts are caught for 20 yards? Not good play calling.

We dominated UNC in the stats until that last sequence.

weezie
09-23-2017, 05:14 PM
I hope Cut yelled at them.

Indoor66
09-23-2017, 05:38 PM
That sucks

Ballboy1998
09-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Choke choke choke

dukelifer
09-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Big plays continue to be a big issue for this team.

moonpie23
09-23-2017, 05:46 PM
giving unc confidence, play after play. :(

dukelifer
09-23-2017, 05:47 PM
giving unc confidence, play after play. :(

Defense needs to hold or it will get ugly

uh_no
09-23-2017, 05:48 PM

seems we're playing the don't bend don't bend don't bend BREAK defense today :(

PDDuke85
09-23-2017, 05:49 PM

Equally concerned about a flat offense

jipops
09-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Surrat totally showing up Jones and the rest of Duke this 2nd half

dukelifer
09-23-2017, 05:52 PM

Playing very flat emotionally. Can win a rivalry game that way.

moonpie23
09-23-2017, 05:54 PM
cut has to find a spark

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-23-2017, 05:54 PM
This feels so... Familiar

gep
09-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Playing very flat emotionally. Can win a rivalry game that way.

This is what I've seen so far too. No sense of urgency, or excitement. Need an explosive play.

duke09hms
09-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Our receivers are terrible - TJ Rahming is overrated, and yet our playcalling is so perplexing. Why are we throwing at UNC's best DB all game, especially a fade to 5-6 Rahming in the endzone. Guy has had a case of the drops all season.

Thank god Brit Brown is ok.

Surratt is showing us up again. I'm not feeling all that bad that UNC players keep getting injured during this game.

Furniture
09-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Our receivers are terrible - TJ Rahming is overrated, and yet our playcalling is so perplexing. Why are we throwing at UNC's best DB all game, especially a fade to 5-6 Rahming in the endzone. Guy has had a case of the drops all season.

Thank god Brit Brown is ok.

Surratt is showing us up again. I'm not feeling all that bad that UNC players keep getting injured during this game.

Everything about this post is wrong...

moonpie23
09-23-2017, 06:18 PM
defense showing a spark

Sixthman
09-23-2017, 06:19 PM
If we've got any looks we have been holding back -- it's time. It's also time for the offensive line to own these guys.

duke09hms
09-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Everything about this post is wrong...

What exactly? Our WR corps is deep but with no standout WR who can get separation, deep = mediocre. Rahming is agile but prone to drops and physical defense. 0 TDs on the year. 1 TD last year.

MJ Stewart has been on Rahming all game. If you think forcing passes to him is a good idea ... you probably think throwing corner fades to a 5-9 (at best) WR covered by UNC's best defensive player is smart.

Brit Brown is probably the best TB we've had in the Cut era - combination of speed and power.

UNC is leading on us with half their starting line-up out with injuries, and Surratt just ragdolled our defense.

Furniture
09-23-2017, 06:29 PM
What exactly? Our WR corps is deep but with no standout WR who can get separation, deep = mediocre. Rahming is agile but prone to drops and physical defense. 0 TDs on the year. 1 TD last year.

MJ Stewart has been on Rahming all game. If you think forcing passes to him is a good idea ... you probably think throwing corner fades to a 5-9 (at best) WR covered by UNC's best defensive player is smart.

Brit Brown is probably the best TB we've had in the Cut era - combination of speed and power.

UNC is leading on us with half their starting line-up out with injuries, and Surratt just ragdolled our defense.

You missed being happy about young men getting injured

duke09hms
09-23-2017, 06:31 PM
THANK YOU DEFENSE!

Welcome to UNC Surratt

Troublemaker
09-23-2017, 06:31 PM
Nice decision under pressure there, Chazz

duke09hms
09-23-2017, 06:32 PM
You missed being happy about young men getting injured

lol never said that

duke09hms
09-23-2017, 06:34 PM

hahahaha what kind of throw was that? Looked like a soccer throw-in!

Mabdul Doobakus
lol never said that

It does seem like you said that.

PDDuke85

Basketball pass. He's hoping Roy's watching, dadgumit

PackMan97
09-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Whew...the way this was looking I might have lost my posting privileges making a comment about UNC winning.

No chance of that now.

Ballboy1998
09-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Seriously F unc for injuring our guy on a chop block.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-23-2017, 06:36 PM
No 50 yard pass plays please.

martydoesntfoul
09-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Seriously F unc for injuring our guy on a chop block.One of the dirtiest plays I've seen in a long, long time.

duke09hms
09-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Ben Albert, what a coup. Defense saving our I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. today.

TKG
09-23-2017, 06:44 PM
May I request that someone please, please, please link to Art Chansky's article reviewing this game?

duke09hms
09-23-2017, 06:48 PM
May I request that someone please, please, please link to Art Chansky's article reviewing this game?

Yes, please do.

Four of the last 6!!!

Welcome to unc Surratt.

JBDuke
09-23-2017, 06:49 PM
You're in Hell, Carolina! You're in Hell!!!

PackMan97
One of the dirtiest plays I've seen in a long, long time.

University
of
No
Class

...it just doesn't refer to their academics.

arnie
Bell sounded crisp.

uh_no
You're in Hell, Carolina! You're in Hell!!!

ding dong.

Ballboy1998
Ugly, but an ugly win is far sweeter than an ugly loss. GTHC GTH!

brevity
09-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Shouldn't the best team in the country with a 1-2 record win their 4th game?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Wow. D stepped up big time. Now we have a rough few games. 4-0 smells nice!

dukelifer
09-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Wow. D stepped up big time. Now we have a rough few games. 4-0 smells nice!

I am impressed. They played stout.

TKG
09-23-2017, 06:53 PM
4-0 and Cut still has coaching to do. Good stuff. Do we break into the Top 25 this week?

Doria
09-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Nice win. Wasn’t pretty, but got the job done.

Indoor66
09-23-2017, 06:55 PM

Who is the winning QB?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-23-2017, 06:56 PM
I won the bet!!! Now I have five months to pick some Duke gear for MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor) to wear in February. Do they make pink Duke halter tops in XXL?

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Take THAT Surratt!
Love, Ima

duketaylor
09-23-2017, 07:00 PM
9F9F9F9F9f9F9F9F9F!!!!! Love it!!! Hate them!!! Great Day!!!!!

Philadukie
09-23-2017, 07:00 PM
4-0 and Cut still has coaching to do. Good stuff. Do we break into the Top 25 this week?

Not sure, but we will if we win next week.

Miami looks middling at home against...Toledo.

Now is a great time to plan on attending a game if you haven't yet! Could be a "program" type win if we pull it out.

OZ
09-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Nice win. Wasn’t pretty, but got the job done.

I hate to disagree; but, any win is pretty... and any win over the cheats is d--n beautiful!

DukeDevil
09-23-2017, 07:02 PM
post game presser link?

OZ
09-23-2017, 07:07 PM
Sir Rat + thrown pick six = KARMA

ipatent
09-23-2017, 07:07 PM
Nice win, the defense looked great except for a few big plays. Jones came through when it counted, cool as a cucumber on that fourth down play.

DukieInKansas
09-23-2017, 07:08 PM
I won the bet!!! Now I have five months to pick some Duke gear for MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor) to wear in February. Do they make pink Duke halter tops in XXL?

You find the fabric and I'll make one for him!

plimnko
09-23-2017, 07:12 PM
cell service must be out in chapel hill.....i texted a turd heel friend of mine to ask if he could smell the ram roasting and he didn't reply. hmmmmmmmm

Bob Green
09-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Duke outscored Carolina 14-0 in the 4th Quarter. That is what teams with superior talent and depth do! :cool:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-23-2017, 07:13 PM
You find the fabric and I'll make one for him!

Done....

drummerdevil
09-23-2017, 07:14 PM
*deep breath*

GTHC GTH
GTHC GTC
LGD
LGD
9F 9F 9F
DUKE NATION

duketaylor
09-23-2017, 07:20 PM
As it should be. Good game!!!!

dudog84
09-23-2017, 07:24 PM
Not sure, but we will if we win next week.

Miami looks middling at home against...Toledo.

Now is a great time to plan on attending a game if you haven't yet! Could be a "program" type win if we pull it out.

Miami is clearly looking past their current opponent towards an important game against a big team next week.

Let that sink in for a moment...

weezie
09-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Miami is clearly looking past their current opponent towards an important game against a big team next week.

Let that sink in for a moment...

You're right..that's pretty incredible!

...a turd heel...

Another nickname to add to the list! Oooo, I wonder what's cookin' on ickhole caro-whina?

Indoor66
09-23-2017, 07:42 PM

Get an XS and tell him it is = to the level of athlete education at the Dump.

MarkD83
09-23-2017, 07:56 PM

If you get him to where anything too outrageous everyone will know he lost a bet. Instead get him something that fits perfectly so everyone thinks he is a Duke fan.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-23-2017, 07:59 PM
If you get him to where anything too outrageous everyone will know he lost a bet. Instead get him something that fits perfectly so everyone thinks he is a Duke fan.

I have plenty of Duke regalia. But a Hurley jersey and a visor feels like a wasted opportunity.

jv001
09-23-2017, 08:07 PM
I have plenty of Duke regalia. But a Hurley jersey and a visor feels like a wasted opportunity.

Great game for the good guys. I was glad to see Jones not lose his poise in the 4th quarter and what a game from our tough defense. I just hope Humphries is not hurt too badly. That was a dirty play but not unexpected from the Cheat punks. Let's beat Miami and move up in the polls. We still owe them one. GoDuke!

MCFinARL
09-23-2017, 08:09 PM
It is my birthday on Saturday. All I want is for Carolina to go to Hell!

Happy birthday, then!

DangerDevil
09-23-2017, 08:13 PM
Do we break into the Top 25 this week?

I don't think there will be enough losses for us to move up. Most of the bottom half of the Top 25 has already played and won. Unfortunately I think we will have to wait at least one more week to move into the polls but I hope that I am wrong!

jipops
09-23-2017, 08:21 PM
Who is the winning QB?

The 4th quarter was a nice turnaround.

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2017, 08:21 PM
After watching Surratt throw his over the head two handed pass, I'd like to thank him for making the school choice that he did. I have been enjoying replays all afternoon. That was truly a unique thing of ugly beauty.

chrishoke
09-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Just back from the game. Nothing could be finer.

arnie
09-23-2017, 08:27 PM
IC is a fun place right now.

grad_devil
09-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Any news about Ben Humphries?

oldnavy
09-23-2017, 08:30 PM
He was ringing the victory bell like he was A OK...

DangerDevil
09-23-2017, 08:30 PM

I haven't found anything but he was wearing a large brace on his right knee while ringing the Victory Bell before the telecast cut away.

oldnavy
09-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Give me Cut and crew over UNC in a close game any day.... Fedora is perfect for UNC... all style, no substance.

arnie
09-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Duke rallies past North Carolina in fourth quarter 27-17
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article175077136.html

Great online video of the bell today.

kmspeaks
09-23-2017, 08:53 PM
Another nickname to add to the list! Oooo, I wonder what's cookin' on ickhole caro-whina?

I almost never tweet anymore, but I keep my Twitter just to see these. (https://twitter.com/ICMeltdown)

Richard Berg
09-23-2017, 09:04 PM
So proud to see 4-star recruit Chazz Surratt complete the first Duke TD pass of his career!

royalblue
09-23-2017, 09:16 PM
So proud to see 4-star recruit Chazz Surratt complete the first Duke TD pass of his career!

Just because he changed his mind does not
Prevent Chazz from throwing a Duke TD to
Seal the Deal with his first interception. He owed the Devils that one for breaking the commitment don't you think 😎 Or maybe "The Devil made him do it"

weezie
09-23-2017, 09:22 PM
I almost never tweet anymore, but I keep my Twitter just to see these. (https://twitter.com/ICMeltdown)

Doing good work there kmspeaks.

Reilly
09-23-2017, 09:30 PM
14-0 in 4th quarter? Another pelt for Noel Durfey's weight room board.

Reilly
09-23-2017, 09:33 PM

Being from North Carolina, it means that much more for him to beat Carolina. And to do it *in* Chapel Hill, silence the crowd, and send them home. Stuff dreams are make of when you commit to Duke, and to have it all come true in your 4th college game.

<Just joshing. Sure he's a fine guy if Cut wanted him. And he'll be a challenge to deal with in the future.>

Reilly
09-23-2017, 09:35 PM

This -- or more accurately, UNC's smarmy nastiness -- deserves its own thread. One of the dirtier plays I've seen in many decades of CFB watching.

Go down 10 late at home, get frustrated, and go dirty, cheap, and low.

UrinalCake
09-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Back home from a sweaty afternoon in hell. It was my first visit to Kenan stadium and I was impressed with the turnout for both sides. Definitely nice to see so many fellow Duke fans make the trip to support our guys. A couple notes about the stadium: first of all the sound system was terrible and constantly cut in and out. Maybe they need to hire some Duke EE majors to fix their audio equipment! Secondly, whoever mans the scoreboards around the perimeter of the stadium was equally terrible. I would generously say that 30% of the time the down/yardage numbers that were displayed were incorrect. We had to rely on the physical flags on the side of the field to confirm what down it was. And after Wilson scored the go-ahead touchdown, the scoreboard gave the points to UNC. It was comically bad.

As for the game itself, we knew coming in that UNC had big play potential and that this was a weakness of our defense. Credit Cut for sticking with the game plan, staying patient and slowly wearing down their defense until we could break through. It really felt like we were down by more than a possession late in the game as our offense had just stalled and those big plays from UNC were so demoralizing, but the team never gave up.

Great win for the team, but still a lot to work on. Looks like Baylor is putting up a fight against #3 Oklahoma, which certainly makes us look better by transitive property.

brevity
09-23-2017, 10:30 PM
And after Wilson scored the go-ahead touchdown, the scoreboard gave the points to UNC.

That's just the ghost of Dean hitting the table with his fist again to change the score. (Whether he was punching up or punching down is open to interpretation.)

Faison1
09-23-2017, 10:37 PM
Back home from a sweaty afternoon in hell. It was my first visit to Kenan stadium and I was impressed with the turnout for both sides. Definitely nice to see so many fellow Duke fans make the trip to support our guys. A couple notes about the stadium: first of all the sound system was terrible and constantly cut in and out. Maybe they need to hire some Duke EE majors to fix their audio equipment! Secondly, whoever mans the scoreboards around the perimeter of the stadium was equally terrible. I would generously say that 30% of the time the down/yardage numbers that were displayed were incorrect. We had to rely on the physical flags on the side of the field to confirm what down it was. And after Wilson scored the go-ahead touchdown, the scoreboard gave the points to UNC. It was comically bad.

As for the game itself, we knew coming in that UNC had big play potential and that this was a weakness of our defense. Credit Cut for sticking with the game plan, staying patient and slowly wearing down their defense until we could break through. It really felt like we were down by more than a possession late in the game as our offense had just stalled and those big plays from UNC were so demoralizing, but the team never gave up.

Great win for the team, but still a lot to work on. Looks like Baylor is putting up a fight against #3 Oklahoma, which certainly makes us look better by transitive property.

Watching from home, I felt like we dominated most facets of the game. Frankly, I was going to be really surprised and upset if we lost that game. Besides a few big plays, we looked like a very solid team that deserved to win.

I'm particularly psyched about how well our D-Line is playing right now. Ramsay is a beast/stud!!!

moonpie23
09-23-2017, 11:09 PM
i was at a skate party with Jr. pie....anyone got a link to the chop-block video?

I need to turn some hate up...

DU82
09-23-2017, 11:23 PM
Thank you to the boys in proper blue for giving us something to cheer about today. I'm sorry I had to miss the game, but look forward to watching it when I get home tomorrow.

devildeac
09-23-2017, 11:57 PM
I am impressed. They played stout.

I'll drink stout. :o

devildeac
09-23-2017, 11:58 PM

I think we'll garner a few more votes but we really have to beat somebody first. :rolleyes:

Furniture
09-24-2017, 12:13 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/joeovies/status/911725631393685504/video/1

devildeac
09-24-2017, 12:14 AM
Oh, my! I just watched several replays of the pick 6. Our son used to make soccer throw-ins more accurately than that when he was U-10 or U-11.

brlftz
09-24-2017, 12:14 AM
I think we'll garner a few more votes but we really have to beat somebody first. :rolleyes:

yeah. from the bottom end of the rankings it looks right now like oregon will drop, and san diego st didn't exactly kill it, but they still won, and i don't see enough going on that we would jump over a whole bunch of teams.

edit: aaaaand the jinx kicks in, oregon scores a td pretty much as i typed that. we'll see if asu can hold on

Reilly
09-24-2017, 12:19 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/joeovies/status/911725631393685504/video/1

Thank you for posting that. That's the same fist-thrust he gave before the 2008 JMU game that had been delayed by lightning. The man is consistent. And we are beyond fortunate he's ours.

Reilly
09-24-2017, 12:25 AM

We were #43 per this computer entering this weekend; WFU was #12(!): https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017-ratings.html

UrinalCake
09-24-2017, 12:31 AM
Oh, my! I just watched several replays of the pick 6. Our son used to make soccer throw-ins more accurately than that when he was U-10 or U-11.

Definitely a freshman mistake to force that ball. They only needed a field goal to tie the game, and he could have take a sack and had another chance on fourth down. The blocking by our guys towards the end of that interception run was awesome.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 12:55 AM
IC is a fun place right now.

The fire Fedora and the Fedora replacement threads are both entertaining.

Seems to be where the venom is directed. He, and whoever calls the offensive plays.

Great win by us. And although I surely do not feel sorry for Carolina -- ever -- we were in a similar injury situation last year. Maybe not even as bad as they have now. This could be a really bad year for the Heels, without it being the Hat's or Chaz's fault as much fun as it is to say so.

But - hope Tech crushes them next week, as much as I hate Paul Johnson.

And random PS -- Baylor looked good today.

BigWayne
09-24-2017, 04:28 AM
We were #43 per this computer entering this weekend; WFU was #12(!): https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017-ratings.html

Who cares about rankings.....At the top of the ESPN page for UNC tonight:

Ryan McGee ESPN Senior Writer

Today on Tobacco Road: NC State upset FSU in Tallahassee. Duke's 27-17 win was their largest at UNC since Steve Spurrier's 41-0 ACC title-clincher in '89. Wake Forest won via a blocked FG at old rival Appalachian State to reach 4-0. The three winners are now a combined 11-1 while UNC is 1-3.

It was a very good day.

Bob Green
09-24-2017, 05:14 AM

From Jim Sumner's article on the front page (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017/9/23/16354980/duke-picks-off-unc-in-kenan-27-17):

Too early to know if Ben Humphreys’ injury is serious.

Bob Green
09-24-2017, 05:32 AM
Top 5 plays video clip:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=6212760

YmoBeThere
09-24-2017, 05:45 AM
...without it being the Hat's or Chaz's fault as much fun as it is to say so.

I'd blame Bubba if I were them. But so far his stalling tactics have paid dividends.

Devilwin
09-24-2017, 07:11 AM
My thoughts, for what they're worth.
Surratt is as good as advertised. Made us look bad on several plays. Thank God his rookie mistake cost them big time. Didn't like the big plays we gave up, gotta fix that.
Defensive line was outstanding, again. Surratt accounted for most of UNC's rushing yards. Their backs were tackled for losses several times.

Seems like we tried too many up the gut runs, when early on the corner runs were working.

Too many dropped passes. Put Jones in bad situations again and again.

Jones overthrew a couple of open receivers, and was sacked several times, and had three passes knocked down in the backfield. I also think our receivers weren't doing a good job of getting separation.

Brit Brown continues to impress. Not as fast or as shifty as Wilson, but he's a load to bring down.

The blocked fg attempt was not on the kicker, but on Boehme. They were discussing it after, and you could see him take his finger off early.

Parker was good on his punts today.

All in all, the better team won, as we should have. Maybe should have won by more, but a win over them is always special. Now four out of the last six. Nice.

Now comes Miami. If ever we owe someone something, it's them. We will certainly have to play better than today, and I have faith in Coach Cut to get it done.

Has there been any word on Humphries yet? We need him for sure against Miami..

Tripping William
09-24-2017, 07:24 AM
I am not reading anything, anywhere, about paint damage to the visitors locker room at Kenan. :o

Wonder why that is?:rolleyes:

Bob Green
09-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Duke is #1 in the nation in 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/701

Duke is #2 in the nation in Rushing Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

Duke is #11 in the nation in Total Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Duke is #17 in the nation in Scoring Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

Duke is #23 in the nation in Team Passing Efficiency Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/40

sagegrouse
09-24-2017, 07:50 AM
The long-ago sports term for Chazz's fluttering pass is "dying quail." Not as many hunting terms show up in the vernacular these days.

Indoor66
09-24-2017, 07:57 AM
I'll drink stout. :o

What a damn setup between you two! :mad::cool:

Indoor66
09-24-2017, 08:01 AM
The long-ago sports term for Chazz's fluttering pass is "dying quail." Not as many hunting terms show up in the vernacular these days.

I believe dying quail is more of a baseball term for a short pop-up. I site the authority. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBgGaGUnvA0)

sagegrouse
09-24-2017, 08:21 AM
I believe dying quail is more of a baseball term for a short pop-up. I site the authority. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBgGaGUnvA0)

Yep and thanks for the Bull Durham reference. Probably more commonly used in baseball as a term for a softly hit ball in the air that goes just beyond the reach of the infielders. (See, Texas Leaguer (http://m.mlb.com/glossary/idioms/texas-leaguer).) I have heard it used in football as well.

YmoBeThere
09-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Duke is #1 in the nation in 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/701

Duke is #2 in the nation in Rushing Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

Duke is #11 in the nation in Total Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Duke is #17 in the nation in Scoring Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

Duke is #23 in the nation in Team Passing Efficiency Defense:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/40

While I like what we have done so far this season, if you went back a week ago, Vandy would have been as high or much higher(better) than Duke is in these rankings. Then they played Alabama.

We've amassed these statistics against opponents who are a combined 5-9. Do we have what it takes to be ranked, do we have what it takes to go to a bowl? Certainly. Looking at our schedule, I do think we have a shot to end the regular season with 10 wins and to be a divisional champion.

But until we've played Miami, FSU, and Va Tech, I'm certainly not going to point to any rankings.

Bob Green
09-24-2017, 08:59 AM
While I like what we have done so far this season, if you went back a week ago, Vandy would have been as high or much higher(better) than Duke is in these rankings.

I disagree. Last week Duke was #1 in Rushing Defense, #2 in 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense and #7 in Total Defense. Vandy was not higher than Duke. Your overall point on quality of opponent is valid but I will point out Baylor scored 41 points on Oklahoma yesterday.

PackMan97
09-24-2017, 09:02 AM
This morning I bathed in the tears of Carolina football fans. It was delicious. I owe it all to Duke!

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

quahog174
09-24-2017, 09:15 AM
This morning I bathed in the tears of Carolina football fans. It was delicious. I owe it all to Duke!

You are welcome, but are you sure some of that bath water wasn't spit?

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-24-2017, 09:28 AM

This morning I went to Trader Joe's in CH with all my Duke gear on. Got a couple looks. Enjoyed each of the 15 minutes I spent there.

Edit: Bonus! I also got to park across from the Dean Dome and walk around a bit while my son had practice at the outdoor courts. The UNC fans who drive their campers to the games park in that lot. I got some additional (delicious) stares from a few of them as they were prepping to leave this morning.

YmoBeThere
09-24-2017, 09:56 AM
I disagree. Last week Duke was #1 in Rushing Defense, #2 in 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense and #7 in Total Defense. Vandy was not higher than Duke. Your overall point on quality of opponent is valid but I will point out Baylor scored 41 points on Oklahoma yesterday.

We can debate the value of a bunch of stats through 3 games against opponents that may or may not be headed where would like to be by the end of the season, here is how Total Defense and Scoring Defense were going into Week 4:

Total Defense

Through Wk 3

Games

Total Yds

Game 4

YPG

Duke

Vandy

Scoring Defense

Through Wk 3

Games

Total Points

Game 4

PPG

Duke

Vandy

Hopefully, I didn't make any transcription errors. The key takeaway from all this IMHO is well Vandy better focus on being Vandy and not worry about Alabama just yet.

fuse
09-24-2017, 10:21 AM

When I was growing up, it was “wounded duck”.

Need to add dying quail to my sports vernacular, thanks.

dukelifer
09-24-2017, 10:35 AM

We expect that you will return the favor

aimo
09-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Maybe I missed something, but anyone know why no coaches' shows today? Neither Cutcliffe's nor @#$% Hat's shows are scheduled for WTVD today.

Reddevil
09-24-2017, 10:59 AM
Down 10 with 42 seconds left you kick the field goal and try an onside kick. Their strategy was asinine. No wonder they are all over Fedora. Does he even watch football?

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Down 10 with 42 seconds left you kick the field goal and try an onside kick. Their strategy was asinine. No wonder they are all over Fedora. Does he even watch football?

Yeah, especially 4th and 12. Kick the FG, get the onside kick (which you need to do anyway) and make Duke defend the whole field.

Watched the Hat's post-game PC, he just said he thought they had a good opportunity there and that was that. Not in a talkative mood about the issue.

Oh -- and Cut is 4-2 v. The Hat. Nice.

Bob Green
09-24-2017, 11:08 AM
We can debate the value of a bunch of stats through 3 games against opponents that may or may not be headed where would like to be by the end of the season, here is how Total Defense and Scoring Defense were going into Week 4:

Total Defense

Through Wk 3

Games

Total Yds

Game 4

YPG

Duke

Vandy

Scoring Defense

Through Wk 3

Games

Total Points

Game 4

PPG

Duke

Vandy

Hopefully, I didn't make any transcription errors. The key takeaway from all this IMHO is well Vandy better focus on being Vandy and not worry about Alabama just yet.

I was wrong on Total Defense, Vandy was ahead of Duke after Week 3. My mistake. Duke was ahead of Vandy in Rushing Defense and 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense after Week 3.

RepoMan
09-24-2017, 11:09 AM
We are 4-0.

We beat arch rival on the road.

We have not yet played a complete game. There is a lot of room for improvement.

We have an opportunity to have a special season.

Great stuff!

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 11:28 AM
We are 4-0.

We beat arch rival on the road.

We have not yet played a complete game. There is a lot of room for improvement.

We have an opportunity to have a special season.

Great stuff!

Exactly this.

Besides Ozzie, everyone who expected to start 4-0 raise your hand.

Hope Humphreys is okay, that's the only ding in my rainbow right now.

Faison1
09-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Exactly this.

Besides Ozzie, everyone who expected to start 4-0 raise your hand.

Hope Humphreys is okay, that's the only ding in my rainbow right now.

it also looked like Brittain Brown had some issues.....maybe shoulder

AustinDevil
09-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Being from North Carolina, it means that much more for him to beat Carolina. And to do it *in* Chapel Hill, silence the crowd, and send them home. Stuff dreams are make of when you commit to Duke, and to have it all come true in your 4th college game.

<Just joshing. Sure he's a fine guy if Cut wanted him. And he'll be a challenge to deal with in the future.>

This post is just wrong. The crowd wasn't silenced. "Let's Go, Duke!" was very loud and very clear.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 12:08 PM
Who are you going to replace him with?

Since we ran Butch off and decided we didn't want to play big boy football I don't know that Fedora is not right around the ceiling of what we can get for a head coach.

He'll have some decent years interspersed with great years and then will have years like this. Comparable to Clemson with Cliff Ellis for a basketball coach and I'm not sure that's not as good as we could hope for because I strongly suspect it is.

Well . . . The ceiling is Ted Roof.

Oh, and a few want UNC to reach out to Les Mikes to gauge interest.

peloton
09-24-2017, 12:25 PM
Wow...what a game. I was very impressed by our determination and ability to win such a game (archrival, on the road, down in the 4th quarter, etc.) We definitely can improve in all areas of the game and it's obvious that both Coach Cut and team realize this. It would be somewhat frustrating if this team was playing to their full potential knowing that the schedule gets a good bit tougher, but this isn't the case IMHO. They appear to have a pretty high ceiling and I'm very anxious to see how we respond against tougher competition.

Thanks to those of you for posting the links to the N&O and Twitter videos - great stuff! I especially like the one of Cut revelling in the moment with Duke fans after the game, displaying the passion the man obviously still has for the game. As has been said many times over the last few years, we're very fortunate to have him lead our football program and represent Duke University.

Regarding last night's outcome - obviously there have been countless remarks by Duke and "ABC" fans concerning Ewe in Sea's transgressions, kharma, etc. Well, I think it's safe to say that the wounded ducks and dying quails have come home to roost :D.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 12:26 PM
And I'm sure someone mentioned this, but -- happy 100th win as a head coach, David Cutcliffe!!!

Bob Green
09-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Duke at #7 ahead of four future opponents:

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99785/florida-state-tumbles-in-accs-week-4-power-rankings

The beauty of Saturday’s 27-17 win over North Carolina, aside from getting a victory in Chapel Hill to lord over their rivals, was that the Blue Devils looked like such a balanced team, with Daniel Jones making some nice throws, Brittain Brown and Shaun Wilson running well, and the defense coming up with one big play after another.

Georgia Tech - 8
Wake Forest - 9
Virginia - 10
Pittsburgh - 13

Of course these rankings mean absolutely nothing but they are nice to read.

Pghdukie
09-24-2017, 12:29 PM
I raise my hand, but only with a full glass to toast a great win for the good guys. Glass now empty !

sagegrouse
09-24-2017, 12:48 PM
This morning I went to Trader Joe's in CH with all my Duke gear on. Got a couple looks. Enjoyed each of the 15 minutes I spent there.

Edit: Bonus! I also got to park across from the Dean Dome and walk around a bit while my son had practice at the outdoor courts. The UNC fans who drive their campers to the games park in that lot. I got some additional (delicious) stares from a few of them as they were prepping to leave this morning.

OTOH, after our last-minute victory at Notre Dame last year, the uniform reaction from the Domers as we took the long walk to the car was:"Congratulations" and "Thanks for coming."

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 12:50 PM
OTOH, after our last-minute victory at Notre Dame last year, the uniform reaction from the Domers as we took the long walk to the car was:"Congratulations" and "Thanks for coming."

Absolutely. The most pleasant road game I have ever attended in any sport. Not even a close second, really.

Bob Green
09-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Coaches Poll has been released:

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2017/5/

Duke received 93 points which is good for 27th place right behind Notre Dame and ahead of N.C. State.

westwall
09-24-2017, 01:15 PM

Duke received 93 points which is good for 27th place right behind Notre Dame and ahead of N.C. State.

Wonder how Fedora voted.

jimsumner
09-24-2017, 01:41 PM

NC State pulled this off against Duke once. I believe it was 1991, during the Barry Wilson era. Down by 10 late, they kicked a field goal on fourth down, recovered the onside kick, got a touchdown on the last play and a two-point conversion to win 32-31.

And that wasn't even the worst loss of his tenure. Duke used to make an art form of losing at the last second, in the most agonizing and creative ways possible.

devildeac
09-24-2017, 01:42 PM

I look upon his first TD pass for Duke as a thing of beauty. :D

hallcity
09-24-2017, 01:45 PM

Miami clocks in at a completely unearned 13.

devildeac
09-24-2017, 01:45 PM
I am not reading anything, anywhere, about paint damage to the visitors locker room at Kenan. :o

Wonder why that is?:rolleyes:

Here's what they did do:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article175108931.html

Scroll down to end of article.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 01:53 PM
NC State pulled this off against Duke once. I believe it was 1991, during the Barry Wilson era. Down by 10 late, they kicked a field goal on fourth down, recovered the onside kick, got a touchdown on the last play and a two-point conversion to win 32-31.

And that wasn't even the worst loss of his tenure. Duke used to make an art form of losing at the last second, in the most agonizing and creative ways possible.

"We've come a long way, baby"

Mabdul Doobakus
09-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Speaking of unearned...FSU still ranked at #25.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Speaking of unearned...FSU still ranked at #25.

Let's talk in three weeks. Hope you are both right.

And I don't care if Boise has issues -- UVA going out there yesterday and smacking them is impressive. UVA finally has a coach, this series is fixin' to get tougher than the last few years.

And my game ball goes to -- Coach Ben Albert. I've said before and will say again, his addition to the staff was huge. In recruiting, and technique.

devildeac
09-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Let's talk in three weeks. Hope you are both right.

And I don't care if Boise has issues -- UVA going out there yesterday and smacking them is impressive. UVA finally has a coach, this series is fixin' to get tougher than the last few years.

And my game ball goes to -- Coach Ben Albert. I've said before and will say again, his addition to the staff was huge. In recruiting, and technique.

When interviewed after the game, Bryon Fields gave his "game ball" to the DL saying (paraphrasing) they've been trained to after the QB and running game hard and the DB would have their backs, even if they gave up a big play occasionally (:o) which they obviously hate to do.