PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Football Recruiting

Pages : [1] 2

chrishoke
09-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Bang Bang Duke Gang!
Duke football receives its first 2019 football recruit
Three star OL big Jacob Monk from Wendell, NC.
http://www.scout.com/Player/Jacob-Monk-46040962

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Jacob is something of a legacy. His dad, Stanley, played at Duke and had quite a career as a Blue Devil.

Rich
09-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Jacob is something of a legacy. His dad, Stanley, played at Duke and had quite a career as a Blue Devil.

I posted about Mike Buckmire, son of Duke grad and 1986 NCAA Soccer Champion, Michael Buckmire, in another thread. Jacob's dad, Stanley, lived a few doors down the hall from me in Wannamaker in 1984, our Freshman year. Stanley was a running back and an all around good guy.

Nice to see some legacies coming back to play sports at Duke, but it sure does make me feel old when the parents are people I hung out with!

Bob Green
09-17-2017, 06:17 AM
Bang Bang Duke Gang!
Duke football receives its first 2019 football recruit
Three star OL big Jacob Monk from Wendell, NC.
http://www.scout.com/Player/Jacob-Monk-46040962

Thanks for the good news! It is nice to get the first player committed to start the process. At 6'4" 285, with two years remaining in high school, Monk is definitely a big one.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2017, 07:50 AM
My understanding is that we had a big contingency of recruits at the game yesterday, wonder if he was there.

Welcome, young man!

martydoesntfoul
09-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Stanley Monk was a real BMOC. That guy had style. If I recall, he wore some pretty outlandish outfits and used to go double-strap on his backpack. And he was a really good player. This is indeed great news.

budwom
09-17-2017, 12:22 PM
His son is a formidable offensive guard, perhaps the best in NC in his class, and he weighs 285 as a junior. Look forward to having him.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2017, 09:32 AM
My understanding is that we had a big contingency of recruits at the game yesterday, wonder if he was there.

Welcome, young man!

According to Scout, he was at the NW game. It looks like Adam Rowe and John Watson keep a list of who will be at what games, pretty cool.
http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Three-Star-OL-Had-Amazing-Visit-At-Duke-For-Northwestern-Game-107230540

Bob Green
12-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Tony Davis, a cornerback has verbally committed to Duke:

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-Lands-Second-2019-Commitment-With-DB-Tony-Davis-112045213

At 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds, Davis is a big corner who visited Duke unofficially back in mid-October following an early Blue Devil offer.

OldPhiKap
12-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Tony Davis, a cornerback has verbally committed to Duke:

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-Lands-Second-2019-Commitment-With-DB-Tony-Davis-112045213

Welcome, Tony!

Bob Green
03-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Welcome to Duke:

1. Isiah Kemp 3* cornerback

Isaiah Kemp 🎒
‏@nonsix

Excited to announce that I will be continuing my academic and athletic career at Duke University! #DukeGang19

2. Zonovan Knight 4* running back

Zonovan Knight
‏@knight_zonovan

Committed‼️🔵⚪️🔵⚪️

3. Donavon Greene 3* wide receiver

OldPhiKap
03-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Welcome to Duke:

Welcome, one and all!!!

richmclean
03-04-2018, 10:30 AM
Beat some great programs for these 3 new kids:

Offer List:
ECU
Georgia
Mississippi State
North Carolina
ODU
Tennessee
Virginia
Wake Forest

Offer List:
Boston College
Charlotte
East Carolina
Illinois
Louisville
Maryland
NC State
Old Dominion
Tennessee
Virginia
Wake Forest

Offer List:
Appalachian State
East Carolina
N.C. State
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Wake Forest

ehdg
03-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the news Bob! Welcome to Duke fellas!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Here's hoping 4 star Bracey breaks out this year at WR.

Bob Green
03-04-2018, 12:17 PM
I show six verbal commitments, with five of the six being in state recruits:

1. Jacob Monk (OL)
2. Tony Davis (DB)
3. Jalen Alexander (DB)
4. Isiah Kemp (DB)
5. Zonovan Knight (RB)
6. Donavon Greene (WR)

Signing in state recruits is a double win. Not only do we get them, we keep them out of Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Winston-Salem.

jimsumner
03-04-2018, 07:17 PM
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Inside-a-big-recruiting-day-for-Duke-football-115823300

Bob Green
03-28-2018, 03:19 PM
This is already being discussed in the off season thread but I'm adding it here for consistency purposes and to update the running list of verbals.

WR Eli Pancol (http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/232560/eli-pancol) has verbally committed to Duke. He also had offers from Louisville, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue and Cincinnati.

1. Jacob Monk (OL)
2. Tony Davis (DB)
3. Jalen Alexander (DB)
4. Isiah Kemp (DB)
5. Zonovan Knight (RB)
6. Donavon Greene (WR)
7. Eli Pancol (WR)

ehdg
03-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Some really nice pick ups and happy to see us adding WR's and another RB. I think we're in need of some LB's, Kicking help and possibly DL's.

Thoughts on this Bob as to what we're in need to be hunting for position wise?

Bob Green
03-28-2018, 04:01 PM
Thoughts on this Bob as to what we're in need to be hunting for position wise?

Defensive linemen, linebackers, offensive linemen and the team needs a quarterback in every class.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Defensive linemen, linebackers, offensive linemen and the team needs a quarterback in every class.

Can we merge this with the "Loss Coping" thread? I mean, nothing has helped me get over that loss like this good news in FB!!!!!

Oh, and to your list above..."even more offensive linemen."

chrishoke
04-23-2018, 03:20 PM
BangBang DukeGang

Duke receives a committment from in-state three star athlete Jordan Waters from Fairmont with offers from WF and ECU.

That makes 6 NC 5 recruits in the 2019 class.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Bolt/Duke-Football-Recruiting-Jordan-Waters-commits-117609039

Bob Green
04-23-2018, 03:33 PM
BangBang DukeGang

Running List:

1. Jacob Monk (OL)
2. Tony Davis (DB)
3. Jalen Alexander (DB)
4. Isiah Kemp (DB)
5. Zonovan Knight (RB)
6. Donavon Greene (WR)
7. Eli Pancol (WR)
8. Jordan Waters (ATH)

OldPhiKap
04-23-2018, 08:12 PM
Welcome, one and all!

chrishoke
04-23-2018, 08:56 PM
Article on Mr. Waters commitment.

http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/20180423/fairmonts-waters-latest-region-football-prospect-to-pick-duke

CameronBornAndBred
04-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Running List:

1. Jacob Monk (OL)
2. Tony Davis (DB)
3. Jalen Alexander (DB)
4. Isiah Kemp (DB)
5. Zonovan Knight (RB)
6. Donavon Greene (WR)
7. Eli Pancol (WR)
8. Jordan Waters (ATH)

Looking forward to a few *on*van TDs.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Can we possibly get one of these? We need this badly......probably would've been worth 3-4 wins last season....
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article205876489.html

Acymetric
04-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Looking forward to a few *on*van TDs.

I think you might mean *on*v*n ;).

We had another *on*v*n who worked out pretty well for is in the past at WR, that's for sure.

CameronBornAndBred
04-24-2018, 02:21 PM
I think you might mean *on*v*n ;).

Him too!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-24-2018, 03:31 PM
Can we possibly get one of these? We need this badly...probably would've been worth 3-4 wins last season...

This is impressive. I'm surprised he could let go of the balls to put them in the trash can, as much "sticky" as he has on them.

someotherdavid
05-09-2018, 05:54 PM
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Rankings-update-Elite-11-Nashville-and-Elite-11-Charlotte--118103150

Jacob Monk is apparently not good enough to get by with being "one of the more athletic interior guys we’ve seen this spring" , he also needs to be "a physical, powerful dude in the trenches" just to get "up to a four-star rating after film review."

Bob Green
05-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Here is the quote sans commentary:

A Duke commit, Monk is one of the more athletic interior guys we’ve seen this spring but he’s also a physical, powerful dude in the trenches. He’s up to a four-star rating after film review.

Bob Green
05-12-2018, 07:30 AM
Duke offensive line commit Jacob Monk headed to The Opening in Dallas:

@TheOpening

#TheOpening Finals O-Line roster got a whole lot stronger today. 💪

Congrats big men, see y'all in Dallas.

It all starts in the trenches.

kcduke75
05-12-2018, 08:53 AM
Why are folks "committed" to Duke '19 "blessed" to get offers from other schools?

As I remember, our top rated recruits from the last two years ended up at UNCheat and State.

That sucks.

I met a guy several years ago whose son was a 5* offensive lineman recruit that was committed to Clemson. He went on a visit to another school and Clemson dropped him in a New York cab driver second. (sad side note - he ended up at UNCheat)

I hope we eventually end up at a point where we can dump recruits the are not committed to their commitment.

Thoughts??

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Can we possibly get one of these? We need this badly...probably would've been worth 3-4 wins last season...
At uNCcheat that’s an entire semester worth of A’s right there. The things going into the garbage can are the resulting “diplomas” received.

devildeac
05-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Why are folks "committed" to Duke '19 "blessed" to get offers from other schools?

As I remember, our top rated recruits from the last two years ended up at UNCheat and State.

That sucks.

I met a guy several years ago whose son was a 5* offensive lineman recruit that was committed to Clemson. He went on a visit to another school and Clemson dropped him in a New York cab driver second. (sad side note - he ended up at UNCheat)

I hope we eventually end up at a point where we can dump recruits the are not committed to their commitment.

Thoughts??

Cut has done that on a couple of occasions in the last 2-3 years, IIRC. Visit another school after a verbal commit to Duke? Ahhh, see ya!

CameronBornAndBred
05-21-2018, 09:06 AM
As noted by Ozzie in the offseason thread, Zonovan Knight decommitted.

https://www.highschoolot.com/zonovan-knight-no-longer-committed-to-duke/17568762/

fan345678
05-22-2018, 09:36 PM
I agree with the front page article that football recruiting has a frustrating lack of emphasis on the definition of "commitment," but I am not sure what is meant by the phrase, "football and character are often associated with little reason."

Football has PR problems galore, and the NFL in particular does an atrocious job of highlighting the "good guys" of the sport (other than JJ Watt and a few others). NFL rosters are full of guys who spend their down time visiting local schools and charities, especially on weekdays after practice during the season. When I was in high school, a starting linebacker for the Carolina Panthers drove 1.5 hours one way after practice during the playoffs to visit our local Communities in Schools program. That's the norm, and the NFL really touted that stuff back in the '90's.

In college towns, you can find football players (as well as many other athletes) helping out with school reading programs and local fundraising drives (and in Durham, at the children's hospital) on almost any day of the week. People who follow the programs closely get to find out about that stuff, but it's a shame that there's not more push among football people to shine light on the high character guys in order to counter all of the bad press.

Note: Cam Newton does a lot of "stay in school" work around Charlotte, but it's kind of ironic given his shady college years.

Avvocato
05-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Here’s another decommit, unfortunately. Donovan Greene has decommitted. He is a very good wide receiver prospect. He, too, is now being recruited by bigger programs and is listening. It’s frustrating, but this is the world of major football recruiting. Also why I like the early signing period. If you unexpectedly lose a commitment, you at least have some time to look for replacements. At least in our case, we have plenty of time.

I am very concerned about a Jakob Monk, our recent offensive line commitment. He is getting lots of press and will be a target of major programs. Hope he stays firm.

As for Cut’s past stance on decommitments, it’s understandable and I don’t blame him. Again, this happens often at the major level. I wonder if he will change course and try to hold on to certain players. Deon Jackson was receruited heavily by Notre Dame after committing to Duke but kept his commitment. He never decommitted though. Cut might just feel like if the kid decommitted, he’s not coming. Why waste time.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Football-Recruiting-Donovan-Greene-decommits-118448587

Avvocato
05-23-2018, 07:19 AM
But if you want to feel better about recruiting, here’s a little piece on Duke commit Eli Pancol, a wide receiver who says his commitment is 100%.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Four-star-receiver-Eli-Pancol-a-huge-steal-for-Duke-football-recruiting-118429263

chrishoke
05-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Until we can build our fan base, this is our lot in life, unfortunately. Otherwise, we are a big time program in every other aspect.

rtnorthrup
05-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Maybe its my cynical nature, but it is interesting that both of these de-commits came at the end of the school year. Wondering if some kids got some academic news that would make it more difficult to get past Duke admissions.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Until we can build our fan base, this is our lot in life, unfortunately. Otherwise, we are a big time program in every other aspect.

Well this is clearly the case...but I'll add a twist. Duke wisely kept Cameron small because they understood the fanbase was inherently small and would be forever. Sure, K has increased it nationwide, but the fan base available to fill up season tix seats is small. Still, at 9314, the best atmosphere in college hoops, and this is known nationwide. Tiny Cameron becomes a recruiting plus, not a minus. K may have been the first coach to understand this.

My main problem with the Wade upgrades is that aside from the removal of the track and dropping some seats close to the field, they didn't incorporate any ideas to make a great atmosphere with a typical Duke crowd - which I'll generously say 25,000. There are stadiums in this country, mostly FCS schools, that have great atmospheres with 20,25,30 thousand. Syracuse, in the dome, is a great atmosphere at 30,000.

True, doming it was not possible, and maybe architecturally some of the other ideas were not feasible. But I believe they over emphasized making it attractive (and it does look great) - and the over all fan experience - without an eye towards how the stadium feels to TV viewers, including recruits.

FWIW, I would've liked to explore moving the press box to the other side so the TV coverage points at the stands that are the most full. I think not doing that was flat a bad bad call. And it's obscenely big to boot. Looks out of proportion to the rest of the stadium.

I would've liked a steepening of the grade on the seats, although that might not have been possible, or too costly. I would have like shelter over the home stands - something Miami did recently - that keeps in noise and keeps out sun and rain for the fans. Miami, a private school, understands the challenge of home atmosphere, and how it looks on TV.

Whenever I watch Duke FB on TV, I always watch with an eye to what recruits and non Duke fans think when they see it. I never worry about that with Cameron. Less can be more.

mattman91
05-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Well this is clearly the case...but I'll add a twist. Duke wisely kept Cameron small because they understood the fanbase was inherently small and would be forever. Sure, K has increased it nationwide, but the fan base available to fill up season tix seats is small. Still, at 9314, the best atmosphere in college hoops, and this is known nationwide. Tiny Cameron becomes a recruiting plus, not a minus. K may have been the first coach to understand this.

My main problem with the Wade upgrades is that aside from the removal of the track and dropping some seats close to the field, they didn't incorporate any ideas to make a great atmosphere with a typical Duke crowd - which I'll generously say 25,000. There are stadiums in this country, mostly FCS schools, that have great atmospheres with 20,25,30 thousand. Syracuse, in the dome, is a great atmosphere at 30,000.

True, doming it was not possible, and maybe architecturally some of the other ideas were not feasible. But I believe they over emphasized making it attractive (and it does look great) - and the over all fan experience - without an eye towards how the stadium feels to TV viewers, including recruits.

FWIW, I would've liked to explore moving the press box to the other side so the TV coverage points at the stands that are the most full. I think not doing that was flat a bad bad call. And it's obscenely big to boot. Looks out of proportion to the rest of the stadium.

I would've liked a steepening of the grade on the seats, although that might not have been possible, or too costly. I would have like shelter over the home stands - something Miami did recently - that keeps in noise and keeps out sun and rain for the fans. Miami, a private school, understands the challenge of home atmosphere, and how it looks on TV.

Whenever I watch Duke FB on TV, I always watch with an eye to what recruits and non Duke fans think when they see it. I never worry about that with Cameron. Less can be more.

May have been easier to just build a newer, smaller stadium.

Bob Green
05-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Here’s another decommit, unfortunately. Donovan Greene has decommitted. He is a very good wide receiver prospect.

This is indeed unfortunate. Wide receiver is a position where we definitely could use a star. Greene is a potential star.

richardjackson199
05-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Note that the schools who continued to heavily recruit Greene from us were Notre Dame, UNCheat, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

More reason to despise them and root for them to lose every game. :mad:

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Here’s another decommit, unfortunately. Donovan Greene has decommitted. He is a very good wide receiver prospect. He, too, is now being recruited by bigger programs and is listening. It’s frustrating, but this is the world of major football recruiting. Also why I like the early signing period. If you unexpectedly lose a commitment, you at least have some time to look for replacements. At least in our case, we have plenty of time.

I am very concerned about a Jakob Monk, our recent offensive line commitment. He is getting lots of press and will be a target of major programs. Hope he stays firm.

As for Cut’s past stance on decommitments, it’s understandable and I don’t blame him. Again, this happens often at the major level. I wonder if he will change course and try to hold on to certain players. Deon Jackson was receruited heavily by Notre Dame after committing to Duke but kept his commitment. He never decommitted though. Cut might just feel like if the kid decommitted, he’s not coming. Why waste time.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Football-Recruiting-Donovan-Greene-decommits-118448587

One thing Jacob has which most other recruits don't have is a strong family tie to Duke.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Some of the onus has to go on the players, IMO.

Sure, they're teenagers. I get that.

But they're also old enough to understand the meaning of the word "commitment."

Don't announce a public commitment unless you're sure. This isn't the Manhattan Project. It's a simple concept.

And it if you don't want contact from other schools, make that clear and they'll back off. It takes time and money to recruit and time and money are resources and programs aren't going to waste those resources on a prospect who has told them his commitment is solid.

Devil2
05-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Green in particular sounded he was surprised when some well known schools made offers to him after his Duke commitment. A little starry eyed.

Zonovan Knight announced his decommitment on Twitter and didn't tell the Duke staff first

The kids have a right to change their minds, but they need to be more upfront

The saying in the college football recruiting world is that a commitment only tells you who you have to beat

Don't announce a public commitment unless you're sure. This isn't the Manhattan Project. It's a simple concept.

And it if you don't want contact from other schools, make that clear and they'll back off. It takes time and money to recruit and time and money are resources and programs aren't going to waste those resources on a prospect who has told them his commitment is solid.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-23-2018, 02:21 PM

THIS^^^^^ Amen! Preach it!

Acymetric
05-23-2018, 03:11 PM

Just to pile on a bit because I want to think about something other than recruiting misses (I generally agree with you suggestions except that I think there are probably some good reasons for not moving the press box), they really messed up the spacing between the wall and the concession stands on the visitor side. Way to narrow, probably by a good 25-50 feet. I'm not sure if they anticipated never having a line more than 3 people deep at those stands or what, but it is not a fun scene at halftime even on days where attendance is extremely limited. Not looking forward to experiencing it with a packed house (say, the unc game or some such).

chrishoke
06-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Rivals info on our new DE recruit.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/caleb-oppan-210259#school-interests
Includes highlight video.
He has a bunch of offers, but only 5 P5.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 09:39 AM
May have been easier to just build a newer, smaller stadium.

Clearly a possibility, though I think some of the TV experience enhancements could've been done on the existing structure, even if it meant building somewhat on top of what was there.

It is what it is, and it is much better....but as long as recruits watch games on TV, we're gonna have this challenge to over come.

Avvocato
06-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Former Clemson QB Hunter Johnson transferring to Northwestern. He had also visited Duke. An enormous get by Northwestern. At least we won't play against him this year.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23763261/former-clemson-quarterback-hunter-johnson-transferring-northwestern

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Former Clemson QB Hunter Johnson transferring to Northwestern. He had also visited Duke. An enormous get by Northwestern. At least we won't play against him this year.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23763261/former-clemson-quarterback-hunter-johnson-transferring-northwestern

Day-yum - I was hoping....

chrishoke
06-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Duke recruit Tony Davis from Gastonia is now rated as a 4 star recruit.
https://247sports.com/Player/Tony-Davis-46047254

OldPhiKap
06-14-2018, 07:23 PM

“Duke bump”

(Congrats, Tony!)

jimsumner
06-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Doesn't that mean he's about ready to de-commit.

Too soon?

Acymetric
06-14-2018, 08:35 PM

Too soon?

Booooo :D

Tappan Zee Devil
06-14-2018, 08:45 PM

Too soon?

Have to say - I had the same thought.
Didn't want to think that, but was my first reaction.

Time will tell.

OldPhiKap
06-14-2018, 08:56 PM
Defensive end RJ Oben committed per twitter.

Info:

https://247sports.com/Player/RJ-Oben-46039273

Welcome, RJ!!

chrishoke
06-15-2018, 07:03 AM
Sweet. Ben Albert doing work. Multiple P5 offers.

budwom
06-15-2018, 07:53 AM
I'll be very interested to see how our co-defensive coordinators work together. Albert is/was undeniably an A+ defensive line coach (here and at BC) so I have high hopes.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-15-2018, 05:14 PM
I'll be very interested to see how our co-defensive coordinators work together. Albert is/was undeniably an A+ defensive line coach (here and at BC) so I have high hopes.

I hope you're right. I think they are trying to replace the best coach on the staff, Knowles. That's not a cut at Cut, I just think Knowles is awesome. The last couple of years our D was our best unit most of the time. That hasn't happened since McGee, and some of that was due to really pathetic O.

budwom
06-16-2018, 07:12 AM
I hope you're right. I think they are trying to replace the best coach on the staff, Knowles. That's not a cut at Cut, I just think Knowles is awesome. The last couple of years our D was our best unit most of the time. That hasn't happened since McGee, and some of that was due to really pathetic O.

I agree that Knowles did a good job, but I'm not quite as high on him as you are...on the plus side, he did a great job vs. option teams, and generally built a solid defense. On the other hand, our defensive backs got burned too often, and we overly relied on the blitz (I'm still pissed about the Pittsburgh loss and Humphreys blitzing past a Pitt running back who went 90+ yards). Maybe my criticisms are due to insufficient talent, it's tough to say...never easy to figure out what due to lack of talent vs. coaching...our wide receivers are a great example, lousy production last year, some say the talent is there, some say the coaching was poor.
Let's see what the new guy gets out of them...personally, based on my very limited knowledge, I'd say Albert was the best coach on staff last year, just an opinion...

HereBeforeCoachK
06-16-2018, 07:17 AM
I agree that Knowles did a good job, but I'm not quite as high on him as you are...on the plus side, he did a great job vs. option teams, and generally built a solid defense. On the other hand, our defensive backs got burned too often, and we overly relied on the blitz (I'm still pissed about the Pittsburgh loss and Humphreys blitzing past a Pitt running back who went 90+ yards). Maybe my criticisms are due to insufficient talent, it's tough to say...never easy to figure out what due to lack of talent vs. coaching...our wide receivers are a great example, lousy production last year, some say the talent is there, some say the coaching was poor.
Let's see what the new guy gets out of them...personally, based on my very limited knowledge, I'd say Albert was the best coach on staff last year, just an opinion...

First, let me say that I hope you are right about Albert, and you may be. Second, that Pitt debacle was a disaster, but I believe Duke's only chance to be successful on D is to be risk takers, aggressive. I think it's Duke's only chance on offense too. I just do not ever see Duke as a run oriented overly physical team on either side of the ball that can slug it out to victory. I don't think we can recruit to that, or sustain that. I think the Pitt game problem was that we didn't have a QB option better than a Daniel Jones at about 25% effectiveness.

I firmly believe that Duke's D breakdowns last season had to do with building frustration on the offensive side of the ball, causing the D to play too many snaps, in poor field position, and take chances. Dukes fast start then slow steady offensive decline wore physically, mentally and emotionally on the D. I am convinced of that.

Now, true, Duke's D backs did give up some big plays, but they had almost as many touchdowns on pick 6's as the offense did for a short period last year. Duke hasn't had pick 6 threats since Ernie Jackson and Rich Searl were playing in the early 70s. Aggressive D helps recruiting, as DE and LB want to blitz, and DB want interceptions.

The irony is, Coach Cut has developed a program that is more competitive on a slug it out basis than they've been since McGee's early teams. I still don't think that's Duke's long term success formula. I think Duke's highest expression of football since Spurrier was the Texas A&M game...first team to 50...that sells tickets, sells recruits, and is our best chance.

OldPhiKap
06-16-2018, 08:22 AM
As a side note that is likely interesting only to me:

If someone had bet that I would follow Duke football recruiting closer than Duke basketball recruiting, I would have given pretty tasty odds. And would be paying off right about now.

LGD!!!

budwom
06-16-2018, 11:40 AM
First, let me say that I hope you are right about Albert, and you may be. Second, that Pitt debacle was a disaster, but I believe Duke's only chance to be successful on D is to be risk takers, aggressive. I think it's Duke's only chance on offense too. I just do not ever see Duke as a run oriented overly physical team on either side of the ball that can slug it out to victory. I don't think we can recruit to that, or sustain that. I think the Pitt game problem was that we didn't have a QB option better than a Daniel Jones at about 25% effectiveness.

I firmly believe that Duke's D breakdowns last season had to do with building frustration on the offensive side of the ball, causing the D to play too many snaps, in poor field position, and take chances. Dukes fast start then slow steady offensive decline wore physically, mentally and emotionally on the D. I am convinced of that.

Now, true, Duke's D backs did give up some big plays, but they had almost as many touchdowns on pick 6's as the offense did for a short period last year. Duke hasn't had pick 6 threats since Ernie Jackson and Rich Searl were playing in the early 70s. Aggressive D helps recruiting, as DE and LB want to blitz, and DB want interceptions.

The irony is, Coach Cut has developed a program that is more competitive on a slug it out basis than they've been since McGee's early teams. I still don't think that's Duke's long term success formula. I think Duke's highest expression of football since Spurrier was the Texas A&M game...first team to 50...that sells tickets, sells recruits, and is our best chance.

I agree with almost everything you say...the defense was definitely victimized by our inept offense during the horrible middle of the season slump. Hopefully lessons have been learned from that period (I'm looking at you, Mr. Roper). I do think, however, we've got enough beef, depth and skill on the DL so we can be solid vs the run (along with our very good LB group...hope guys like Hill and Gagnon also get to play some).
The DL is getting much better pressure on QBs, so I'm still disappointed in how often pass coverage breaks down. I agree it's because the defense feels they have to take chances (blitzes, etc) but I think there is enough talent there now (defense) to play more straight up, and not give up as many looooong gainers....looking forward to some interesting games in the early season (NW in particular).

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Charlie Ham, kicker, has committed to the Class of 2019. He's excelled at soccer, football and basketball.;)

OldPhiKap
06-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Charlie Ham, kicker, has committed to the Class of 2019. He's excelled at soccer, football and basketball.;)

Great news!

We need a kicker more than another hoops player.

Welcome!

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Great news!

We need a kicker more than another hoops player.

Welcome!

He'll have a short while to adjust to college football when our team takes on Alabama in Atlanta.

Reilly
06-18-2018, 10:08 PM
He'll have a short while to adjust to college football when our team takes on Alabama in Atlanta.

In his hometown, right? I believe I saw he's from Westminster (Steve "Snake" Slayden's alma mater).

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-18-2018, 10:14 PM
In his hometown, right? I believe I saw he's from Westminster (Steve "Snake" Slayden's alma mater).

Bingo!

OldPhiKap
06-18-2018, 10:54 PM

I will be at the game with my family. My daughter (incoming Alabama freshman) sent me this:

https://youtu.be/rTdXQyhjifY

But she grew up rooting for Duke, so I think we’ll call her 50/50.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-18-2018, 11:16 PM
I will be at the game with my family. My daughter (incoming Alabama freshman) sent me this:

https://youtu.be/rTdXQyhjifY

But she grew up rooting for Duke, so I think we’ll call her 50/50.

Yes! I've seen that video. Roll Tide

Bob Green
06-19-2018, 04:51 PM
I like that Ham is both a kicker and punter. There is an article up at 247Sports:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Lands-One-Of-The-Nations-Top-Kickers-Charlie-Ham-119153488/

Ham recently earned an invite to the National Underclassman Challenge in January of 2018 after a strong performance during the December Showcase Camp of 2017. He showed great ability to kick off the ground by making 15 out of 16 during the charting of field goal's. Ham also showed great leg strength with multiple 75+ yard kick off's. He showed marked improvement on his field goal ability by making 9 charted kicks at camp. Ham's punting improved as well and he averaged 43.7 yards per punt and had several 50+ yard punts. His leg has gotten stronger and his technique continues to improve.

CameronBornAndBred
06-19-2018, 05:24 PM
I like that Ham is both a kicker and punter. There is an article up at 247Sports:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Lands-One-Of-The-Nations-Top-Kickers-Charlie-Ham-119153488/

May he be far more used for the former than the latter.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-19-2018, 08:42 PM
May he be far more used for the former than the latter.

...Amen....and may they be extra points and kick offs, and not so many FGs.....

chrishoke
06-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Duke has now received a committment from a punter.
https://247sports.com/player/porter-wilson-46054807

Avvocato
06-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Cut is certainly addressing a need. Hope they can handle the job.

jimsumner
06-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Cut is certainly addressing a need. Hope they can handle the job.

Keep in mind that Parker still has two more years of eligibility.

But Cut has a history of redshirting punters as freshmen. Perhaps, that's the plan here.

Martin and Reed did place-kick as true freshmen.

You only have 85 scholarships. How many do you want to use on kickers? Three seems enough to me.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-21-2018, 08:04 PM
Can be reclassify to 2018??? Welcome to Duke!

chrishoke
06-21-2018, 09:05 PM
Unrated 6-5 TE from Mass. commits. Duke appears to be his only p5 offer. Head scratcher.
https://247sports.com/player/matthew-smith-46056663

Acymetric
06-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Unrated 6-5 TE from Mass. commits. Duke appears to be his only p5 offer. Head scratcher.
https://247sports.com/player/matthew-smith-46056663

I assume he camped with us, coaches obviously saw something they liked. We have a solid class so far even with the de-commits, I'm happy getting in on a guy before everyone else. Let's see what he can do!

Also, no major offers, but he was offered by a LOT of lower tier programs. Will be worth watching whether other offers start coming in, and also wouldn't read into the unrated bit. Now that he's committed I suspect he'll get bumped up the queue to be evaluated and we'll have an idea what the recruiting services think.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-22-2018, 08:26 AM
I assume he camped with us, coaches obviously saw something they liked. We have a solid class so far even with the de-commits, I'm happy getting in on a guy before everyone else. Let's see what he can do!

Also, no major offers, but he was offered by a LOT of lower tier programs. Will be worth watching whether other offers start coming in, and also wouldn't read into the unrated bit. Now that he's committed I suspect he'll get bumped up the queue to be evaluated and we'll have an idea what the recruiting services think.

Also interesting to note that Daniel Jones was not rated, and had to pay his own way as a red shirt frosh. He de-committed to Princeton to come to Duke. So I wonder if Cut saw something, or if he was a panic signing in the aftermath of the Surratt de-commit, or a bit of both.

And on a related topic...de-commit is a euphemism for "breaking a commitment." Just sayin...

sagegrouse
06-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Also interesting to note that Daniel Jones was not rated, and had to pay his own way as a red shirt frosh. He de-committed to Princeton to come to Duke. So I wonder if Cut saw something, or if he was a panic signing in the aftermath of the Surratt de-commit, or a bit of both.

And on a related topic...de-commit is a euphemism for "breaking a commitment." Just sayin...

As you know, a football "commitment" is an obvious misnomer. The proper term is "promise," I suppose, in that the player gives up nothing. Re "commitment:" in a ham-and-egg breakfast, the chicken was "dedicated" -- the pig is "committed."

Indoor66
06-22-2018, 09:01 AM
As you know, a football "commitment" is an obvious misnomer. The proper term is "promise," I suppose, in that the player gives up nothing. Re "commitment:" in a ham-and-egg breakfast, the chicken was "dedicated" -- the pig is "committed."

Not even a promise. Just high level interest.

OldPhiKap
06-22-2018, 09:02 AM
As you know, a football "commitment" is an obvious misnomer.

I look at it as an RSVP for an event six months from now. I intend to come -- but things can always happen between now and then.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-22-2018, 09:05 AM
I look at it as an RSVP for an event six months from now. I intend to come -- but things can always happen between now and then.

That is how it plays out.....that is not how it should play out, however. The chaos fears that coaches have, in both major sports, is legitimate. It is possible that what seems like "the right thing to do" with regard to this player or that player - might harm the sport to the detriment of everybody in it.

chrishoke
06-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Not even a promise. Just high level interest.

For now.

Avvocato
06-22-2018, 10:25 AM
Keep in mind that Parker still has two more years of eligibility.

But Cut has a history of redshirting punters as freshmen. Perhaps, that's the plan here.

Martin and Reed did place-kick as true freshmen.

You only have 85 scholarships. How many do you want to use on kickers? Three seems enough to me.

I didn't ask for dozens of kickers and never asked for more (not to mention we still have Reed and 4 other kickers on the roster, though not sure how many are scholarship). I only commented on Cut's recruitment of kickers to address a need, one that is not always a focus during recruiting but that we all know has great impact on our success. I still don't fully understand the issues surrounding Parker's exit and reinstatement, but I'm glad his presence means the frosh kickers won't be pressed into immediate service, if they are not ready (and I don't expect them to play as freshmen as a result). I'll continue to let Cut manage his roster and scholarships, but again, I am happy he is addressing a problem area.

Acymetric
06-22-2018, 10:28 AM
I didn't ask for dozens of kickers and never asked for more (not to mention we still have Reed and 4 other kickers on the roster, though not sure how many are scholarship). I only commented on Cut's recruitment of kickers to address a need, one that is not always a focus during recruiting but that we all know has great impact on our success. I still don't fully understand the issues surrounding Parker's exit and reinstatement, but I'm glad his presence means the frosh kickers won't be pressed into immediate service, if they are not ready (and I don't expect them to play as freshmen as a result). I'll continue to let Cut manage his roster and scholarships, but again, I am happy he is addressing a problem area.

I'm not sure what coaches saw in Reed, I recall seeing/hearing a lot of red flags about him when he committed and it appears those concerns were legitimate. These two guys appear to be good gets though.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-22-2018, 12:13 PM

It wasn't a panic signing. Daniel's HS coach sent some videos of Daniel at work so Coach Cutcliffe could evaluate them. There wasn't a scholarship available when Daniel decided to come to Duke, but there would be later.

Acymetric
06-22-2018, 12:18 PM

It wasn't a panic signing. Daniel's HS coach sent some videos of Daniel at work so Coach Cutcliffe could evaluate them. There wasn't a scholarship available when Daniel decided to come to Duke, but there would be later.

Definitely was not a panic signing, but he was not recruited the way a scholarship player would be (or he would have counted against the scholly limit when he enrolled). He was recruited to whatever extent a "preferred walk-on" can be recruited (or less). I don't recall what the restrictions for preferred walk-on recruitment are, but significantly less recruiting contact than normal scholarship player recruitment. People frequently point out that he was going to get a scholarship eventually, but ignore that the recruiting process was very different (less intensive) than for most players.

richmclean
06-22-2018, 01:04 PM

DJ was class of 2015 while Surratt was class of 2016 so Surratt had no effect on DJ's recruitment.

jimsumner
06-22-2018, 03:11 PM

Well, golly gee dozens of kickers would be way too many. Glad we got that straightened out.

Right now, Parker and Reed are the only recruited kickers in the program. Several other players were "preferred walk-ons," an oxymoron, if ever I heard one.

So, two more would make four.

Or could make four.

Unless, something has changed, Reed is still in school, still on scholarship and still on the team, with two years left. But remember, he lost the PK job this spring to Colin Wareham, before Parker's return. He didn't get the nod for the bowl game last year, after Parker's dismissal.

I think it's fair to say that Duke's confidence level in him is not high.

So, it's hard to imagine him seeing the field again at Duke. Cut hasn't traditionally been inclined to pull a scholarship for performance issues. But I don't think it unfair to wonder if Reed finding another landing spot might not be in his best long-term interests.

sagegrouse
06-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Well, golly gee dozens of kickers would be way too many. Glad we got that straightened out.

Right now, Parker and Reed are the only recruited kickers in the program. Several other players were "preferred walk-ons," an oxymoron, if ever I heard one.

My favorite, from the "Way-Back Machine," was "volunteer for the military draft." And it really was a course of action taken by many.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-22-2018, 10:41 PM
Darrell Harding, Jr. of Winter Garden, FL has just committed to Duke. He's a WR who's 6'4" tall, 195 lbs.

OldPhiKap
06-22-2018, 10:50 PM
Darrell Harding, Jr. of Winter Garden, FL has just committed to Duke. He's a WR who's 6'4" tall, 195 lbs.

Solid list of offers and interest:

https://247sports.com/Player/Darrell-Harding-46048838

Welcome, son!

chrishoke
06-25-2018, 11:13 AM
BangBang DukeGang
@SteveClarkTDD: https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Football-Recruiting-Jaylen-Coleman-Commitment-Interview-119316750/ …

Bob Green
06-25-2018, 03:53 PM
BangBang DukeGang
@SteveClarkTDD: https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Football-Recruiting-Jaylen-Coleman-Commitment-Interview-119316750/ …

Running back is a position of need and Jaylen Coleman has size (6'1" 200) and speed:

His film had jumped off the screen at them, as despite only playing running back for a year of high school, the state 100m track champion was putting on dominant performance after dominant performance for Porter Ridge High School.

His offer sheet is limited (Army, Charlotte, Princeton, Yale) but the staff obviously saw something they liked.

53n206
06-25-2018, 08:06 PM
He looks like, and he sounds like a great prospect. The only thing that bothers me about him was that, frequently, after he crossed the goal line he continued through the end zone and ran around the back of the goalposts. I would have immediately fallen down after crossing the goal line to conserve energy. I assume that Duke coaching will help him there.

chrishoke
06-25-2018, 08:45 PM
He looks like, and he sounds like a great prospect. The only thing that bothers me about him was that, frequently, after he crossed the goal line he continued through the end zone and ran around the back of the goalposts. I would have immediately fallen down after crossing the goal line to conserve energy. I assume that Duke coaching will help him there.

Forrest Gump?

53n206
06-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Forrest Gump?
My idol.

Indoor66
06-26-2018, 08:33 AM
Forrest Gump?

Couldn't have been. I wouldn't have stopped until he hit the desert.

OldPhiKap
06-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Couldn't have been. I wouldn't have stopped until he hit the desert.

Plus, Forrest went to 'Bama.

ehdg
06-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Running back is a position of need and Jaylen Coleman has size (6'1" 200) and speed:

His offer sheet is limited (Army, Charlotte, Princeton, Yale) but the staff obviously saw something they liked.

Yes is offer sheet might be limited but I like his offer sheet. Sure sounds like a Duke type of student who won't have a problem getting in or maintaining grades based on that offer sheet!!
Princeton and Yale if I'm right don't offer athletic scholarships. So he'd have to get one on grades and money at those schools!

sagegrouse
06-26-2018, 10:10 AM
Yes is offer sheet might be limited but I like his offer sheet. Sure sounds like a Duke type of student who won't have a problem getting in or maintaining grades based on that offer sheet!!
Princeton and Yale if I'm right don't offer athletic scholarships. So he'd have to get one on grades and money at those schools!

Uhhh... the main difference is that the Ivies pay for athletic scholarships out of the general scholarship fund.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-27-2018, 09:34 PM
Here we go! DeWayne Carter, Jr., DT from Pinkerton OH, has committed to Duke. He's the son of DeWayne Carter, Sr. who played WR at tOSU. He had offers from Michigan State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Vandy, UVA, Michigan, Syracuse, WV, Pitt, ND, Rutgers, Purdue, Tennessee, Indiana, Bowling Green, Kentucky, Toledo.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-27-2018, 09:37 PM
Welcome to Duke DeWayne! Nice offer resume! LGD GTHc!

Acymetric
06-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Here we go! DeWayne Carter, Jr., DT from Pinkerton OH, has committed to Duke. He's the son of DeWayne Carter, Sr. who played WR at tOSU. He had offers from Michigan State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Vandy, UVA, Michigan, Syracuse, WV, Pitt, ND, Rutgers, Purdue, Tennessee, Indiana, Bowling Green, Kentucky, Toledo.

Watched his highlights, he is big...and fast. I see him listed at 280, and this is just after his junior year. Looks to be a great pickup for our DL (which has improved so much under Coach Albert)!

Oh, and he can also work in a little as backup TE and emergency kicker!

http://www.hudl.com/v/28PhEk

ehdg
06-27-2018, 10:26 PM
Looks like a very nice get!! I presume he's a fall of '19 recruit so sadly we have to wait a year for him. But welcome to Duke!!

devildeac
06-27-2018, 10:55 PM

Carter?

What's his momma have to say about this?

(ducks, runs)

Welcome to Duke, young man!

Bob Green
06-28-2018, 05:00 AM
Here we go! DeWayne Carter, Jr., DT from Pinkerton OH, has committed to Duke.

Welcome to Duke! It is always good to gain another big body for the trenches. :cool: The recruiting class is quickly taking shape. OL and QB look to be the positions of need.

someotherdavid
06-30-2018, 04:26 PM
Props to the #11 Duke Baseball team. Cut (and the rest of us) should be thanking Pollard and his crew for their contribution on the DeWayne Carter get.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-30-2018, 06:58 PM
Props to the #11 Duke Baseball team. Cut (and the rest of us) should be thanking Pollard and his crew for their contribution on the DeWayne Carter get.

What was that contribution? I mean, I'm a big Pollard fan, and his team was terrific this year, and I bet Coach Cut is a fan of his too - but is there part of the story I'm missing?

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2018, 08:50 PM
What was that contribution? I mean, I'm a big Pollard fan, and his team was terrific this year, and I bet Coach Cut is a fan of his too - but is there part of the story I'm missing?
DeWayne will play football and baseball at Duke.

Avvocato
06-30-2018, 10:32 PM

Sounds more like Pollard should be thanking Cut, since Carter will be on a full football scholarship then.

someotherdavid
07-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Sounds more like Pollard should be thanking Cut, since Carter will be on a full football scholarship then.

Scholarships are moot unless someone accepts. You got to make the sale first. My money is on BB* helped football on this one.

chrishoke
07-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Larry Doby.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-01-2018, 01:16 PM

Well football has many more scholarships to offer than baseball....so it would be interesting which scholarship he is taking...a FB or BB scholarship? I mean it doesn't matter, if Pollard, Cut and the player all are happy about it, and he can help both teams, I'll all for whatever got it done.

Devil2
07-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Well football has many more scholarships to offer than baseball...so it would be interesting which scholarship he is taking...a FB or BB scholarship? I mean it doesn't matter, if Pollard, Cut and the player all are happy about it, and he can help both teams, I'll all for whatever got it done.

By rule, any person who has an athletic scholarship playing college football as well as another sport has his scholarshop attributed to football. The reason is that colleges used to load up on football players by awarding them scholarship in other sports.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-01-2018, 03:15 PM
By rule, any person who has an athletic scholarship playing college football as well as another sport has his scholarshop attributed to football. The reason is that colleges used to load up on football players by awarding them scholarship in other sports.

Who's rule? NCAA? I've not heard of it...then again, I don't study the NCAA rules.

Bob Green
07-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Who's rule? NCAA? I've not heard of it...then again, I don't study the NCAA rules.

Yes, the NCAA. I've heard it referred to as the Bear Bryant rule. This is not a new rule.

sagegrouse
07-01-2018, 03:28 PM

Yep. Anyone on athletic scholarship who plays football counts against football, no matter what other sport is played. It is needed to prevent teams from stashing football players in "minor sports." Been a rule for a long time. I think there is also a rule pertaining to basketball as well.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'BTW, if you had been on DBR half your life and read a million posts, you would know this. Congratulations for not wasting as much time as the rest of us.'

richmclean
07-01-2018, 03:31 PM
It creates a Trajan Langdon type situation where Carter will be a walk-on as a baseball player, saving a scholarship for other players. Note that unlike football and basketball, baseball does not award the whole team with full scholarships resulting in many players on partial scholarships. I haven't heard how good of a baseball player Carter is and whether he would have had a full or partial scholarship.

jimsumner
07-01-2018, 03:38 PM
The football/baseball overlap is tough. Fall practice is very important to a college baseball team, not the case in the good, ole days, when guys like Don Altman and Leo Hart played football in the fall and baseball in the spring.

It's an age of specialization.

Remember Bobby "Bulldog" Brower. He played outfield for the Rangers and the Yankees.

He came to Duke as a football running back. Mike McGee recruited him and promised Brower that he could skip spring practice and play baseball in the spring.

Red Wilson replaced McGee and rescinded that understanding. Brower quit football. He told me that the hardest phone call he ever made in his life was calling home and telling his father that he was giving up his football scholarship to concentrate on baseball.

It worked for Brower. But it's going to be tough to combine both sports. Not impossible. But compromises will have to be made.

jimsumner
07-01-2018, 03:46 PM
It creates a Trajan Langdon type situation where Carter will be a walk-on as a baseball player, saving a scholarship for other players. Note that unlike football and basketball, baseball does not award the whole team with full scholarships resulting in many players on partial scholarships. I haven't heard how good of a baseball player Carter is and whether he would have had a full or partial scholarship.

Langdon was never a basketball walk-on. For a portion of his Duke career, he was a recruited, non-scholarship player and as such counted towards Duke's scholarship, limit of 13.

richmclean
07-01-2018, 04:56 PM
That’s what I get for reading the Chronicle:
“Due to the salary he was taking in from the Padres, Langdon was not a scholarship basketball player for the Blue Devils, making him technically a walk-on. ”

http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2013/06/where-are-they-now-duke-basketball-edition-trajan-langdon

kmspeaks
07-01-2018, 05:19 PM

Yep. Anyone on athletic scholarship who plays football counts against football, no matter what other sport is played. It is needed to prevent teams from stashing football players in "minor sports." Been a rule for a long time. I think there is also a rule pertaining to basketball as well.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'BTW, if you had been on DBR half your life and read a million posts, you would know this. Congratulations for not wasting as much time as the rest of us.'

There's a hierarchy. Football > Basketball > Ice Hockey > Everything else (except for a weird swimming/water polo situation)

In case anyone is interested for women's sports it's Basketball > Volleyball > Field Hockey > Everything else

Pghdukie
07-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Very prevelant for years when a scholarship football player went straight to wrestling. As soon as the last play was over - straight to the mat.

chrishoke
07-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Larry Doby.

I mentioned Larry Doby Jr. upthread. He played football and baseball at Duke. He was the first African American baseball player at Duke in 1975. More importantly, his father Larry Doby was the first to break the color barrier in the American League, following Jackie Robinson in the NL. Here is a nice you tube interview of the Duke grad talking about his dad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2vtO5PQ2Bo

jv001
07-02-2018, 07:29 AM
I mentioned Larry Doby Jr. upthread. He played football and baseball at Duke. He was the first African American baseball player at Duke in 1975. More importantly, his father Larry Doby was the first to break the color barrier in the American League, following Jackie Robinson in the NL. Here is a nice you tube interview of the Duke grad talking about his dad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2vtO5PQ2Bo

Larry Doby, Sr of the Cleveland Indians. I remember him because my Mom liked the Cleveland Indians. I asked her why she rooted for them and she said, " I love those uniforms". That was enough for me. From that day until now, I still have a fondness for the Tribe. GoDuke and GoIndians because my mom loved them and I sure do love my Mom who is in a heavenly place now.

Reilly
07-02-2018, 11:43 AM
I mentioned Larry Doby Jr. upthread. He played football and baseball at Duke. He was the first African American baseball player at Duke in 1975 ...

Interesting. I did not know that. Seems to have had an interesting life, with minors and working with Billy Joel: https://www.mlb.com/news/larry-doby-jr-tied-to-indians-through-father/c-212920778

Avvocato
07-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

I had never heard of this one either, so I have a follow up. At Miami, in the 90's when they were on probation and limited to the number of scholarships they could offer, some players like Santana Moss were on track scholarships and played football as walk-ons. It's in the Miami 30 For 30 documentary (part II). Based on what some of you are saying, that wouldn't be permitted.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-02-2018, 02:38 PM
I was in school with Larry Jr. and should have been his teammate, but hurting my shoulders playing club football prevented me from throwing a baseball well enough to play outfield. I made the spring roster my freshman year after trying out in the fall of 1972 :cool:, but couldn't lift my right arm above my shoulder in the spring. :mad: I didn't try after that.

Reilly
07-02-2018, 02:43 PM
... I made the spring roster my freshman year after trying out in the fall of 1972 :cool:, but couldn't lift my right arm above my shoulder in the spring. :mad: I didn't try after that.

Is that when you turned your attention to coaching so as to be one of the finalists for the Duke FB OC position years later?

devildeac
07-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Is that when you turned your attention to coaching so as to be one of the finalists for the Duke FB OC position years later?

But, I'm proud to attest that OZZIE is fully recovered now:

(photo from one our tailgates last fall)

;)

kmspeaks
07-02-2018, 03:26 PM
I had never heard of this one either, so I have a follow up. At Miami, in the 90's when they were on probation and limited to the number of scholarships they could offer, some players like Santana Moss were on track scholarships and played football as walk-ons. It's in the Miami 30 For 30 documentary (part II). Based on what some of you are saying, that wouldn't be permitted.

I didn't know that story either but this article (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1997-09-19/sports/9709190027_1_scholarship-aaron-moser-santana-moss) published at the time seems to indicate that Moss initially enrolled as a football walk on and would have had to redshirt because of the probation limits but then another receiver (who was also on the track team) was injured and so his football scholarship was given to Moss. So it would appear you can practice with the football team on another program's scholarship but if you're on the field for even one snap it counts against football.

Avvocato
07-02-2018, 05:54 PM
I didn't know that story either but this article (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1997-09-19/sports/9709190027_1_scholarship-aaron-moser-santana-moss) published at the time seems to indicate that Moss initially enrolled as a football walk on and would have had to redshirt because of the probation limits but then another receiver (who was also on the track team) was injured and so his football scholarship was given to Moss. So it would appear you can practice with the football team on another program's scholarship but if you're on the field for even one snap it counts against football.

Interesting. Nice find. Thanks for that.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Hey! Hey! Hey! Duke got an OT today! John Gelotte who is 6' 6", weighs 280 lbs, just committed to Duke. He's from Roebuck, SC. Carolina wanted him, too, but Jim Bridge reeled him in.;)

chrishoke
07-02-2018, 07:48 PM
BangBang DukeGang
Three star OL commits to Duke over UNC.
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Football-Recruiting-John-Gelotte-Commitment-119529787/

martydoesntfoul
07-03-2018, 01:04 AM
BangBang DukeGang
Three star OL commits to Duke over UNC.
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Football-Recruiting-John-Gelotte-Commitment-119529787/ “With the addition of Gelotte to Duke's fifteen other commitments in the class, #DukeGang19 has moved up to the #30 ranked class in the country, bypassing Florida and Boston College. Duke is now ranked as the seventh highest rated class in the ACC, and is expected to move up to just outside the Top 25 nationally and into sixth place in the ACC sometime this week after a silent commitment is made public.” ???

chrishoke
07-03-2018, 07:54 AM
“With the addition of Gelotte to Duke's fifteen other commitments in the class, #DukeGang19 has moved up to the #30 ranked class in the country, bypassing Florida and Boston College. Duke is now ranked as the seventh highest rated class in the ACC, and is expected to move up to just outside the Top 25 nationally and into sixth place in the ACC sometime this week after a silent commitment is made public.” ???

Maybe the DE from Enloe announcing today?

Bob Green
07-03-2018, 06:09 PM
From HighSchoolOT on Twitter:

Just In: Enloe DL Christian Rorie commits to Duke University

Strong side defensive end, 6'5" 267.

chrishoke
07-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Maybe the DE from Enloe announcing today?

CameronBornAndBred
07-04-2018, 07:51 AM
"The education is tremendous for me, nobody in my family has really had the opportunity to go to a place as prestigious as Duke and been able to get an education as great as that," Rorie said. "That's a big opportunity for me and I don't feel like I should miss that.

https://www.highschoolot.com/enloe-dl-christian-rorie-commits-to-/17672817/

peloton
07-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Great news - looking forward to seeing another young man from NC take the field for the Blue Devils! I am so ready for Friday, Aug 31st.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Nice get......beat out the cheats, the Pack, Notre Dame, Wake....etc...

chrishoke
07-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Former Duke RB recruit Zonovan Knight today committed to NCS. They are getting good at poaching our recruits - 2 in 2 years.

chrishoke
08-01-2018, 08:08 PM
BangBang Dukegang!
Surprised nobody has posted our commitment of a big three star OL from Penn. Great news!
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/elijah-wroten-206972

Pghdukie
08-01-2018, 08:52 PM
Speaking of poaching, I'm sure the buzzards will be flying around Columbus, Ohio in the wake of the Urban Meyer ordeal.

Bob Green
08-01-2018, 09:44 PM
Speaking of poaching, I'm sure the buzzards will be flying around Columbus, Ohio in the wake of the Urban Meyer ordeal.

Context:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24258253/ohio-state-buckeyes-places-urban-meyer-administrative-leave

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer was placed on paid administrative leave Wednesday as the school announced it is investigating Courtney Smith's claims that several people close to the coach knew of a 2015 allegation of domestic violence against her ex-husband, former Ohio State assistant football coach Zach Smith, who was fired in July.

chrishoke
08-13-2018, 09:47 PM
BangBang DukeGang
Three star DE Ahmad Craig commits today.

Outstanding offer list

Bob Green
08-14-2018, 04:47 AM
BangBang DukeGang
Three star DE Ahmad Craig commits today.

Outstanding offer list

Duke lands another player from Georgia! :cool:

chrishoke
08-14-2018, 06:53 AM
18 power 5 offers including Oregon, Auburn, Tenn., Arkansas, VPI - majority of SEC and ACC schools.

OldPhiKap
08-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Welcome, Ahmad!

Banana
09-22-2018, 09:03 PM
Matthew Smith, a TE prospect who has committed to Duke, had an excellent game in Needham High's win over Newton North this afternoon. He made a spectacular diving catch of a long TD pass, and made five other receptions (2 on difficult balls) for first downs. So it appears that he is a clutch receiver with excellent hands. He split his time between the tight end and wide receiver positions. He often got behind the defenders, and at other times got the ball by outjumping the defender. (Being 6'5" is a big advantage in HS!) He did not make significant yards after his catches, but given the way some of those balls were thrown, there was little opportunity to do so.

I hope to see him again in Needham's rivalry game against Wellesley on Thanksgiving Day.

OldPhiKap
09-22-2018, 10:47 PM
Matthew Smith, a TE prospect who has committed to Duke, had an excellent game in Needham High's win over Newton North this afternoon. He made a spectacular diving catch of a long TD pass, and made five other receptions (2 on difficult balls) for first downs. So it appears that he is a clutch receiver with excellent hands. He split his time between the tight end and wide receiver positions. He often got behind the defenders, and at other times got the ball by outjumping the defender. (Being 6'5" is a big advantage in HS!) He did not make significant yards after his catches, but given the way some of those balls were thrown, there was little opportunity to do so.

I hope to see him again in Needham's rivalry game against Wellesley on Thanksgiving Day.

Great report, thanks!

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2018, 10:03 AM
In state recruit J.R. Walker to announce in three weeks. (Oct 12th)

Walker has narrowed his list to five schools – Duke, NC State, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia Tech. Walker will take an official visit to NC State this weekend, then heads to Virginia Tech for an official visit on Oct. 6.

Walker stands at 6-foot and 205 pounds. 247Sports.com ranks him the No. 13 player in the state of North Carolina and four-star prospect. He capable of playing multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

https://www.highschoolot.com/clayton-s-walker-to-announce-commitment-on-oct-12/17870768/

moonpie23
09-26-2018, 01:55 PM
we should talk to that old used up clemzen qb!! (https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/09/26/clemson-football-kelly-bryant-transfer/1427832002/)

Bob Green
10-02-2018, 06:01 PM
The Bye Week Blues motivated me to search around on the Internet a bit where I found this article on Jaylen Coleman from back in August. The article is definitely worth a read.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article217569795.html

“He’s got breakaway speed, but he’s also got vision,” Hyatt said. “He’s not just a guy who goes on the end and outruns everybody. He hits the dive out of the triple option (offense) they run and he can break a long run at any time.

Coleman is 6'2" 200 pounds. He won the NC 4A 100-meter dash State Championship with a time of 10.83. He has run a 4.38 40-yard dash.

chrishoke
10-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Thanks Bob for that article. 6' 2" 200 lb with track star speed - plus a 4.0 GPA. Confounding that his best other offer is Army.

brlftz
10-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Thanks Bob for that article. 6' 2" 200 lb with track star speed - plus a 4.0 GPA. Confounding that his best other offer is Army.

yeah no kidding. after reading that i'm going to be sweating that we keep him.

Bob Green
10-03-2018, 06:14 PM
6' 2" 200 lb with track star speed - plus a 4.0 GPA.

I still have the Bye Week Blues...

http://nc.milesplit.com/athletes/pro/6075605/stats

Jaylen Coleman "PR"* in the Indoor 55 meter dash is 6.54 seconds. The Internet tells me 40 yards is equal to 36.576 meters, so...

6.54 divided by 55 times 36.576 equals 4.349 so let's just say a 4.35 seconds 40 yard dash.

Impressive! And yes, I understand this is just a paper result and it doesn't mean he can actually run a 4.35 40 yard dash** but I believe we are safe in concluding Jaylen Coleman is fast (and big).

* Personal Record
** he might get faster the further he goes

arnie
10-03-2018, 06:43 PM

Uh oh, he may be too smart to play football.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-03-2018, 07:04 PM

....certainly for chapel college...

ehdg
10-04-2018, 10:45 AM
The Bye Week Blues motivated me to search around on the Internet a bit where I found this article on Jaylen Coleman from back in August. The article is definitely worth a read.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article217569795.html

Coleman is 6'2" 200 pounds. He won the NC 4A 100-meter dash State Championship with a time of 10.83. He has run a 4.38 40-yard dash.

My bad I was thrown but the post someone made that only Army offered him and forgot that he's already a Duke Recruit.

CameronBlue
10-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Naw, he could still play for Navy.

OldPhiKap
10-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Naw, he could still play for Navy.

“that time when Bob Green banned CameronBlue”

devildeac
10-04-2018, 12:45 PM
“that time when Bob Green banned CameronBlue”

Bob wouldn't do that. He'd keelhaul him/her. :rolleyes:

Bob Green
10-19-2018, 07:30 PM
4* Cornerback Tony Davis recommits to Duke!!!

Davis, from Hunter Huss HS, committed, then de-committed and has now recommitted to Duke.

devildeac
10-19-2018, 07:41 PM

Davis, from Hunter Huss HS, committed, then de-committed and has now recommitted to Duke.

Soooo, the Cut can change his spots.

Great news!

Pghdukie
10-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the good news Bob !

OldPhiKap
10-20-2018, 12:16 AM

Friday night smiles!!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-20-2018, 06:16 AM

So does this mean he won’t change his mind again? Hope so! LGD GTHc!

chrishoke
10-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Shockingly great news. Welcome back Tony.

TruBlu
10-20-2018, 10:06 AM
That’s a great re-get!

HereBeforeCoachK
10-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Shockingly great news. Welcome back Tony.

...if only that had happened with Chazz Surratt.......(is sarc tag even needed?)

OldPhiKap
10-20-2018, 12:22 PM
...if only that had happened with Chazz Surratt....(is sarc tag even needed?)

Quentin may need a back-up.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-20-2018, 04:31 PM
That’s a great re-get!

I wonder if he'll re-de-commit after today's steaming pile?

devildeac
10-20-2018, 05:25 PM

We could have used him today...

Edit: I see HBCK beat me to it. I just got home. Beyond frustrating.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-26-2018, 10:42 AM
Well well....can happen to the big boys....Georgia top recruit de-commits......

OldPhiKap
10-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Well well...can happen to the big boys...Georgia top recruit de-commits...

It's been a busy drop/add month in Athens:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25084652/john-emery-nation-top-running-back-recruit-decommits-georgia

Plus the Biggest Cocktail Party in the World tomorrow.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-26-2018, 11:11 AM
It's been a busy drop/add month in Athens:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25084652/john-emery-nation-top-running-back-recruit-decommits-georgia

Plus the Biggest Cocktail Party in the World tomorrow.

Does the Ga Florida game still take place in Jax?

OldPhiKap
10-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Does the Ga Florida game still take place in Jax?

Yup.

Bob Green
11-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Wide Receiver/Cornerback Jalon Calhoun from Greenville, SC commits to Duke per Twitter. Here is his profile:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/235749/jalon-calhoun

P5 offers from Georgia Tech and Penn State.

ehdg
11-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Interesting on the link you posted bob says he committed to GTech in June.

Bob Green
11-04-2018, 01:50 PM

He re-opened his recruitment and switched to Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2018, 01:57 PM

He re-opened his recruitment and switched to Duke.

How Renfree-esque.

chrishoke
11-04-2018, 01:57 PM
#19 recruit in SC. Welcome to Duke young man.

OldPhiKap
11-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Wide Receiver/Cornerback Jalon Calhoun from Greenville, SC commits to Duke per Twitter. Here is his profile:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/235749/jalon-calhoun

P5 offers from Georgia Tech and Penn State.

Welcome, Jalon!

arnie
11-04-2018, 02:08 PM

Shrine Bowler?

Bob Green
11-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Shrine Bowler?

Yes.

http://www.shrine-bowl.com/PDF/2018_SC_ROSTER.pdf

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Any idea which side of the ball he'll play for Duke?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-04-2018, 02:13 PM

Even as a smaller state, SC prep football is generally superior to NC prep FB....#19 in SC is perhaps top ten type NC talent.

budwom
11-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Any idea which side of the ball he'll play for Duke?

It's been said on the Devils Den that he will be a slot receiver. We need more receivers. He plays QB in high school, hopefully he has more success in making that change than Scott Bracey has thus far.
Sourpuss Johnson wanted him to play QB, which is a testament to his athleticism (Sourpuss does know about QBs who can run, i'll give him that).

jimsumner
11-04-2018, 06:28 PM
It's been said on the Devils Den that he will be a slot receiver. We need more receivers. He plays QB in high school, hopefully he has more success in making that change than Scott Bracey has thus far.
Sourpuss Johnson wanted him to play QB, which is a testament to his athleticism (Sourpuss does know about QBs who can run, i'll give him that).

Bracey only played QB because of injuries. He was never regarded as a college QB.

But he's going to be a difference maker as a WR. Just you wait and see.

Insert sarcasm emoji.

Duke has had mixed success converting prep QBs in recent years.

Johnathan Lloyd-big success
Quay Chambers-moderate success
Nico Pierre-thanks for your service.

PDDuke85
11-24-2018, 11:12 PM
https://twitter.com/gspur723/status/1066415515462238211?s=21

Package deal with Grandpa as OC?

sagegrouse
11-24-2018, 11:36 PM

Anyway, Steve Spurrier's grandson Gavin has signed with Duke.

Academic scholarship and walk-on for football??? Not sure.

This story (http://sportingtimesmagazine.com/south-warren-qb-spurrier-commits-to-duke/) suggests more of an athletic commitment.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-24-2018, 11:38 PM

Steve Spurrier will be the HC for the Orlando Apollos. Jim Collins is leaving Duke to be the LB coach. Coach Collins reports for work in Orlando on December 1.

Reilly
11-25-2018, 12:10 AM
Anyway, Steve Spurrier's grandson Gavin has signed with Duke.

Academic scholarship and walk-on for football??? Not sure.

This story (http://sportingtimesmagazine.com/south-warren-qb-spurrier-commits-to-duke/) suggests more of an athletic commitment.

Looks like Gavin started his h.s. career in SC where Gabe Brandner and Brandon Hill went to h.s.:

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article39367593.html

chrishoke
12-06-2018, 04:19 PM
Nice interview with DE commit Ahmad Craig.
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/ahmad-craig-duke-football-recruiting-signing-day-preview-125967879/

OldPhiKap
12-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Offensive Tackle Ron Carr to Duke per his tweet. Welcome, Ron!

chrishoke
12-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Allen Trieu Retweeted Ron Carr
#Duke lands Solon (Ohio) offensive tackle following his official. Had offers from #USC, #Minnesota, #MichiganState, #Vanderbilt and more. https://247sports.com/Player/Ron-Carr-46057278/ … @AdamRoweTDD

HereBeforeCoachK
12-09-2018, 03:29 PM
Offensive Tackle Ron Carr to Duke per his tweet. Welcome, Ron!

...talk about filling a need....

HereBeforeCoachK
12-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Didn't know which thread to put this in....but Jamison Crowder just went 79 yards to the house with a very short crossing pass......
https://www.redskins.com/video/can-t-miss-play-jamison-crowder-turns-on-the-jets-for-79-yard-catch-and-run-td

budwom
12-09-2018, 04:23 PM
...talk about filling a need....

That's for sure. Hoping he provides the improved quickness we've been lacking at OT...will probably be a couple years before he's ready though...

chrishoke
12-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Ofrensive Tackle Ron Carr to Duke per his tweet. Welcome, Ron!

ESPN rates Carr as our 2nd best recruit in this class, just behind 4 star Tony Davis. Carr previously had committed to Yale.

devildeac
12-09-2018, 07:45 PM
ESPN rates Carr as our 2nd best recruit in this class, just behind 4 star Tony Davis. Carr previously had committed to Yale.

Again enhancing our chances of moving up the rankings :rolleyes:.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2018, 07:52 PM
Again enhancing our chances of moving up the rankings :rolleyes:.

Glad we won the basketball game yesterday! Whew.

johnb
12-10-2018, 10:36 AM
Didn't know which thread to put this in...but Jamison Crowder just went 79 yards to the house with a very short crossing pass...
https://www.redskins.com/video/can-t-miss-play-jamison-crowder-turns-on-the-jets-for-79-yard-catch-and-run-td

Hoping he provides the improved quickness we've been lacking at OT...will probably be a couple years before he's ready though...

Jamison would certainly provide some quickness to the O line, though I agree that it might take him a couple years to gain some weight.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-10-2018, 11:20 AM
Jamison would certainly provide some quickness to the O line, though I agree that it might take him a couple years to gain some weight.

Get him a fake ID and a jersey with a WR number on it......

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Wake Forest HS player Jaden McKenzie is announcing his decision Dec 19th. Other than the fact that he plays for one of the best schools in the state, I'm not sure why he is doing one of those hyped announcements in the auditorium things. At three stars, he doesn't seem to have the elite pedigree one would expect of those guys, but if he chooses Duke, I'll be happy. He's a big dude!

McKenzie's announcement is set for Dec. 19 at 2:30 p.m. The announcement will be made in the school's auditorium. HighSchoolOT.com plans to have live coverage of the commitment.

According to 247Sports.com, McKenzie is a three-star prospect and the No. 58 defensive tackle in the Class of 2019. He stands at 6-foot-4 and 280 pounds.

He has a pretty impressive offer list with plenty of big name schools.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/jaden-mckenzie-180821

budwom
12-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Wake Forest HS player Jaden McKenzie is announcing his decision Dec 19th. Other than the fact that he plays for one of the best schools in the state, I'm not sure why he is doing one of those hyped announcements in the auditorium things. At three stars, he doesn't seem to have the elite pedigree one would expect of those guys, but if he chooses Duke, I'll be happy. He's a big dude!

He has a pretty impressive offer list with plenty of big name schools.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/jaden-mckenzie-180821

I don't get the impression Duke is really involved here...

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2018, 03:29 PM
I don't get the impression Duke is really involved here...

They might not be, but Duke is definitely on his list with an offer. Not sure what happened to the link I quoted that statement from, but here it is.
https://www.highschoolot.com/wake-forest-s-jaden-mckenzie-sets-college-commitment-date/18062125/

If he doesn't choose Duke, he'll still to enjoy playing at Wallace Wade in the championship game this weekend.

devildeac
12-13-2018, 03:32 PM
He might not be, but Duke is definitely on his list. Not sure what happened to the link I quoted that statement from, but here it is.
https://www.highschoolot.com/wake-forest-s-jaden-mckenzie-sets-college-commitment-date/18062125/

If he doesn't choose Duke, he'll still to enjoy playing at Wallace Wade in the championship game this weekend.

Might be a bigger crowd for that game than Duke-WFU on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

<ducks>

budwom
12-14-2018, 08:08 AM
They might not be, but Duke is definitely on his list with an offer. Not sure what happened to the link I quoted that statement from, but here it is.

Well, we offer all kinds of guys whom we have little chance of getting, and McKenzie is one of them. He's in the tOSU stratosphere...

OldPhiKap
12-14-2018, 09:01 AM
He's in the tOSU stratosphere...

Does that mean we'll get him as a transfer in a few years? tOSU has been a good feeder school for us.

devildeac
12-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Does that mean we'll get him as a transfer in a few years? tOSU has been a good feeder school for us.

We have indeed Cashed in on that pipeline.

CameronBornAndBred
12-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Duke's farm club.

JasonEvans
12-14-2018, 11:52 AM
We have indeed Cashed in on that pipeline.

We Wohlabaughed in on it too.

Did that work?

devildeac
12-14-2018, 11:56 AM
We Wohlabaughed in on it too.

Did that work?

Well done. Now, show yourself out. Zion's snowman door might still be open.

:p

PDDuke85
12-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Well done. Now, show yourself out. Zion's snowman door might still be open.

It could be a Lisle longer before we get any more tOSU linemen.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-14-2018, 12:23 PM
It could be a Lisle longer before we get any more tOSU linemen.

How about one from Alabama? https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/12/alabama-reserve-offensive-lineman-plans-to-transfer.html Don't know that there is any mutual interest, but he is big and has experience in a football factory.;)

CameronBornAndBred
12-14-2018, 12:43 PM
How about one from Alabama? https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/12/alabama-reserve-offensive-lineman-plans-to-transfer.html Don't know that there is any mutual interest, but he is big and has experience in a football factory.;)

The Maryland native was one of Alabama’s Commitment to Academic Excellence award winners during the spring of 2017.
Sounds like he could fit right in.

OldPhiKap
12-19-2018, 07:56 AM
Looks like the signings are coming in . . . .

chrishoke
12-19-2018, 08:20 AM
All 20 signings are in by 8:00 am. Welcome to DukeGang!

ehdg
12-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Curious what folks think of this year's signing class? How are some of these kids rated and is this another good recruiting class for us? Did we fill obvious needs we have? I don't see a QB in the group and only 1 RB and LB. I did notice we have a kicker in the group though which is a good thing and 3 WR's which is good as we have a few graduating.

johnb
12-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Curious what folks think of this year's signing class? How are some of these kids rated and is this another good recruiting class for us? Did we fill obvious needs we have? I don't see a QB in the group and only 1 RB and LB. I did notice we have a kicker in the group though which is a good thing and 3 WR's which is good as we have a few graduating.

Our national and conference ratings are moderately up, but I don't pay all that much attention. The star system in basketball seems much more meaningful, partly because elite players play against each other all the time. Elite football players can go a high school career without playing directly against another elite player (aside from occasional year end all star games). And, anyway, since Cut got going, almost all of our players are tightly bunched as 3 stars, with the occasional 4 star or top 300 player thrown in for good measure. That's one reason why NFL players were often not 4 or 5 star recruits out of high school (though it's probably best to go with the odds--Alabama almost exclusively signs 4 and 5 stars, but half of them don't ever really pan out).

Since 2014, we've had exactly one non kicker rated as a 2 star. And that would be Daniel Jones, who turned out okay.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Since 2014, we've had exactly one non kicker rated as a 2 star. And that would be Daniel Jones, who turned out okay.

yeah, that's true of Jones. I have to wonder....A: has he surprised Cut and staff by panning out more like a high 3 or 4 star guy? Or B:did they know he was way under rated back in HS? Or C: a little of both?

Acymetric
12-19-2018, 01:22 PM
yeah, that's true of Jones. I have to wonder...A: has he surprised Cut and staff by panning out more like a high 3 or 4 star guy? Or B:did they know he was way under rated back in HS? Or C: a little of both?

Well, there was a lot of buzz around him pretty much as soon as he enrolled. I have to think at least some of that was coming from inside the program.

OldPhiKap
12-19-2018, 01:31 PM
yeah, that's true of Jones. I have to wonder...A: has he surprised Cut and staff by panning out more like a high 3 or 4 star guy? Or B:did they know he was way under rated back in HS? Or C: a little of both?

IIRC he had originally committed to Princeton, but then when Chazz Surratt ditched us for UNC we got DJ in the boat.

(Someone can correct the wrong parts of that I am sure. Not that I will stop stating clear inaccuracies as fact of course, and may take to YELLING THEM for good measure. I finally figured out how internet social media works!)

HereBeforeCoachK
12-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Well, there was a lot of buzz around him pretty much as soon as he enrolled. I have to think at least some of that was coming from inside the program.

10-4 thanks....I didn't hear any buzz until he ran the scout team as true frosh. But I'm not super linked in either...

budwom
12-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Our national and conference ratings are moderately up, but I don't pay all that much attention. The star system in basketball seems much more meaningful, partly because elite players play against each other all the time. Elite football players can go a high school career without playing directly against another elite player (aside from occasional year end all star games). And, anyway, since Cut got going, almost all of our players are tightly bunched as 3 stars, with the occasional 4 star or top 300 player thrown in for good measure. That's one reason why NFL players were often not 4 or 5 star recruits out of high school (though it's probably best to go with the odds--Alabama almost exclusively signs 4 and 5 stars, but half of them don't ever really pan out).

I completely agree....discount to some extent the star system in football, but rely heavily on the offer sheets a kid has. I'd take a three star any day with offers from a lot of solid P5 schools over a four star with less glorious offers.
And this year's recruits have solid offer sheets.

chrishoke
12-19-2018, 02:16 PM
247 Sports ranks our class 39th nationally. Our 2016 class was, I believe Cut's highest ranked at 33. This year's class is ranked 7th in the ACC. The ACC schools in the middle of the pack are typically bunched very closely together. The top 3-5 schools in the ACC typically have significant separation from the pack.

Bob Green
12-19-2018, 03:17 PM
IIRC he had originally committed to Princeton, but then when Chazz Surratt ditched us for UNC we got DJ in the boat.

Daniel Jones is a redshirt junior while Chazz Surratt is a redshirt sophomore so Jones was already at Duke when Surratt flipped.

chrishoke
12-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Coach Cut signing date press conference. This is quite good - a must listen.
http://www.goduke.com/

HereBeforeCoachK
12-19-2018, 03:29 PM
247 Sports ranks our class 39th nationally. Our 2016 class was, I believe Cut's highest ranked at 33. This year's class is ranked 7th in the ACC. The ACC schools in the middle of the pack are typically bunched very closely together. The top 3-5 schools in the ACC typically have significant separation from the pack.

Setting the obvious aside, who besides Clemson had separation "from the pack?"

chrishoke
12-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Setting the obvious aside, who besides Clemson had separation "from the pack?"

Clemson, FSU and Miami almost every year.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Clemson, FSU and Miami almost every year.

I assume State has jumped up some recently...the Cheats stole a 4* QB from FSU.....wonder how they did.

chrishoke
12-19-2018, 05:10 PM
I assume State has jumped up some recently...the Cheats stole a 4* QB from FSU....wonder how they did.

NCS had their best class in years and placed a distant third. The heels were 6th, part of the middle pack.

OldPhiKap
12-19-2018, 05:19 PM
Daniel Jones is a redshirt junior while Chazz Surratt is a redshirt sophomore so Jones was already at Duke when Surratt flipped.

Thanks. So I guess Jones scared him off. ;-)

I am correct, though, that DJ was originally a Princeton commit? Or did I just botch the whole thing?

chrishoke
12-19-2018, 05:26 PM
Thanks. So I guess Jones scared him off. ;-)

I am correct, though, that DJ was originally a Princeton commit? Or did I just botch the whole thing?

Correct. He also had a WF offer.

PackMan97
12-19-2018, 05:47 PM
NCS had their best class in years and placed a distant third. The heels were 6th, part of the middle pack.

Nowhere have I seen Carolina as high as 6th. Most have them in the 9-12 range.

Bob Green
12-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Look here:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=ACC

1. Clemson
2. FSU
3. NC State
4. Virginia Tech
5. Virginia
6. Carolina
7. Miami
8. Duke

chrishoke
12-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Look at 247. They have
1. Clemson
2. FSU
3. NCS
4. VPI
5. UVA
6. NC
7. UM
8. Duke
9. Pitt

arnie
12-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Look at 247. They have
1. Clemson
2. FSU
3. NCS
4. VPI
5. UVA
6. NC
7. UM
8. Duke
9. Pitt

fwiw- ESPN has us 7th, Cheats 9th

devildeac
12-19-2018, 06:27 PM
I assume State has jumped up some recently...the Cheats stole a 4* QB from FSU...wonder how they did.

university

of

no

class

yes, two meanings

devildeac
12-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Nowhere have I seen Carolina as high as 6th. Most have them in the 9F-12 range.

Letter added. ;)