PDA

View Full Version : Who dat?

madscavenger
09-14-2017, 09:33 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/15gtrgg.jpg

San Antonio 2004

Anyone want to take a shot at the handles? Damned if i know.

devildeac
09-14-2017, 11:21 PM

San Antonio 2004

I know the old, old dude with the goatee and the hot, young brunette wrapped up in his left arm...

BD80
09-14-2017, 11:27 PM
I know the old, old dude with the goatee and the hot, young brunette wrapped up in his left arm...

Improper benefits?

ricks68
09-15-2017, 02:43 AM

No beer for you! Next!:p (I've had that goatee a lot longer than I thought.)

Well, Mad is on the far right, yes?-- and isn't that Forrester the tallest in the back? (I've reconsidered---that is not Forrester in the back.)

It's too late to think about the rest right now, as I'm pretty sure that Forrester took the picture, so how could he be in two places at once?

Other interesting question: What famous place is that behind the group?

(Please note that it is NOT Ted Cruz standing behind my right shoulder!!!!)

I do have a list of everyone who was supposed to be there, but I will have to find it before I forget to look for it tomorrow after my round of golf. Someone please remind me before this thread drops off the board.

ricks

ricks68
09-15-2017, 02:48 AM

San Antonio 2004

By the way, Mad, thanks a bunch for the great picture redux and the great memories it conjures up.:)

ricks

OZZIE4DUKE
09-15-2017, 05:27 AM
Yeah, I recognized the old, old dude too!

OldPhiKap
09-15-2017, 07:02 AM

Could be the Zodiac Killer. You never can tell.

FadedTackyShirt
09-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Other interesting question: What famous place is that behind the group?

Not the Alamodome, but Kreuz Market? Ted's dad should have stuck to barbecue and kept the original family name rather than shooting JFK.

devildeac
09-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Improper benefits?

Nope. He used up his eligibility a long, long time ago. ;)

mph
09-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Not the Alamodome, but Kreuz Market? Ted's dad should have stuck to barbecue and kept the original family name rather than shooting JFK.

It doesn't look like the front of Kreuz Market to me. I suppose it could be the side.

ricks68
09-15-2017, 10:38 AM
It doesn't look like the front of Kreuz Market to me. I suppose it could be the side.

It was in the front, but I think that enough of it was obscured to cause confusion. More after golf.😉

ricks

FadedTackyShirt
09-15-2017, 11:35 AM
It was in the front, but I think that enough of it was obscured to cause confusion. More after golf.😉

ricks

Had never heard of Kreuz Market before (blasphemy I know), so that was the highlight of that trip. Still can't stand UConn fans.

Couple of years ago was with friends driving from Houston to Austin. Lobbied for Kreuz Market (or other Lockhart spots), but driver was adamant about City Market in Luling. Was just OK. To add insult to injury, Kreuz was closed on the way back.

If only there were another upcoming excuse for Duke hoops/BBQ fans to be back in that neck of the woods to debate Kreuz, Black's, and Smitty's...

As an aside, picked up another tip from DBR prior to that trip about a good Tex Mex spot in San Antonio. Was physically pretty large. Don't think it was Chuy's or Pappasito's but might have been a local SA chain?!?

ricks68
09-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Had never heard of Kreuz Market before (blasphemy I know), so that was the highlight of that trip. Still can't stand UConn fans.

Couple of years ago was with friends driving from Houston to Austin. Lobbied for Kreuz Market (or other Lockhart spots), but driver was adamant about City Market in Luling. Was just OK. To add insult to injury, Kreuz was closed on the way back.

If only there were another upcoming excuse for Duke hoops/BBQ fans to be back in that neck of the woods to debate Kreuz, Black's, and Smitty's...

As an aside, picked up another tip from DBR prior to that trip about a good Tex Mex spot in San Antonio. Was physically pretty large. Don't think it was Chuy's or Pappasito's but might have been a local SA chain?!?

Mi Tierra in the market? Outstanding BBQ at Snow's in Lexington, Franklin's in Austin, and Killan's in Pearland just south of Houston. Snow's is only open on Saturday until the food runs out around noon or so! I now rank all three ahead of Kreuz Market. Get the brisket at all 3. In addition, or instead of, the chicken and pork ribs at Snow's, and the rib (singular) at Killan's.

So, where are you in the picture?

ricks

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Mi Tierra in the market? Outstanding BBQ at Snow's in Lexington, Franklin's in Austin, and Killan's in Pearland just south of Houston. Snow's is only open on Saturday until the food runs out around noon or so! I now rank all three ahead of Kreuz Market. Get the brisket at all 3. In addition, or instead of, the chicken and pork ribs at Snow's, and the rib (singular) at Killan's.

ricks

I know this belongs in a different thread, but I will be in Austin in February for my best friend's wedding. He is a vegetarian, but I want to start soliciting BBQ joint recommendations. Fire away.

ricks68
09-15-2017, 05:39 PM
I know this belongs in a different thread, but I will be in Austin in February for my best friend's wedding. He is a vegetarian, but I want to start soliciting BBQ joint recommendations. Fire away.

The four mentioned above should cover it. Read up about them for extra info. Under no circumstances should you go to Salt Lick. Yuk. Fake. Another good one in Austin is the one owned I think by Louie Mueller ' s daughter. I will get the name. Also, I think there is some kind of dispensation for Texas BBQ for vegetarians.

ricks

Jim3k
09-15-2017, 07:57 PM

Probably La Fogata
(https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x865c5e36ea75936b:0x197ef35964f5ce48!2m22!2 m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m 1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e11 5!4shttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname%3D113904685153554715022%26id%3D624122 8972312427650%26target%3DPHOTO!5sla+fogata,+san+an tonio+TX+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-d3S4ucL7-P0/Vp1MrtCO_II/AAAAAAAAACI/pE5WSCRfJ3043FPWEbdhGBJ3njLkqd8dACLIBGAYYCw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX77DjsajWAhWIxVQKHUl-B7cQoioIiQEwCg)

FadedTackyShirt
09-15-2017, 07:59 PM

ricks

No faded tacky shirt (only constant part of my attire for any Duke quasi sporting event) in that pic. Was grateful to DBR for tips on Kreuz Market and the mystery Tex Mex spot in San Antonio. Would have gladly settled for crappy food in exchange for seeing K cut down another net...

mph
09-15-2017, 09:57 PM
The four mentioned above should cover it. Read up about them for extra info. Under no circumstances should you go to Salt Lick. Yuk. Fake. Another good one in Austin is the one owned I think by Louie Mueller ' s daughter. I will get the name. Also, I think there is some kind of dispensation for Texas BBQ for vegetarians.

ricks

You're probably thinking about la Barbecue, one of my Austin favorites. My most recent favorite was the John Mueller Meat Co. which was a BBQ trailer owned by Leeann Mueller's notoriously temperamental brother John. It closed last year due to unpaid taxes. Whoops! He and Leeann opened la Barbeque (originally named JMueller BBQ) but had a falling out shortly thereafter. I have heard that John Mueller is now cooking BBQ in Georgetown, TX but I haven't been to his new place. Might be worth the 30 minute drive. He's a true master.

I know this will be sacrilegious to some but I think Franklin's isn't worth the wait. Don't get me wrong, it's great BBQ but there are other places in Austin that are very close in quality without having to camp out for several hours. La Barbecue is definitely one option and Stiles Switch is another. Micklethwait is also very good if you don't mind eating outdoors. 100% agree that Salt Lick is overrated and not worth the drive out of Austin. I'll add that I don't think the drive to Lockhart is worth it anymore with all of the great options in Austin. No question that Kreuz Market is an experience but I think the BBQ is better at all of the places you listed and those listed above.

One bonus recommendation for Mtn.Devil: go to Torchy's Tacos. Awesome and creative tacos with good vegetarian options for those who insist on living without the joys of meat.

ricks68
09-15-2017, 11:50 PM
You're probably thinking about la Barbecue, one of my Austin favorites. My most recent favorite was the John Mueller Meat Co. which was a BBQ trailer owned by Leeann Mueller's notoriously temperamental brother John. It closed last year due to unpaid taxes. Whoops! He and Leeann opened la Barbeque (originally named JMueller BBQ) but had a falling out shortly thereafter. I have heard that John Mueller is now cooking BBQ in Georgetown, TX but I haven't been to his new place. Might be worth the 30 minute drive. He's a true master.

I know this will be sacrilegious to some but I think Franklin's isn't worth the wait. Don't get me wrong, it's great BBQ but there are other places in Austin that are very close in quality without having to camp out for several hours. La Barbecue is definitely one option and Stiles Switch is another. Micklethwait is also very good if you don't mind eating outdoors. 100% agree that Salt Lick is overrated and not worth the drive out of Austin. I'll add that I don't think the drive to Lockhart is worth it anymore with all of the great options in Austin. No question that Kreuz Market is an experience but I think the BBQ is better at all of the places you listed and those listed above.

One bonus recommendation for Mtn.Devil: go to Torchy's Tacos. Awesome and creative tacos with good vegetarian options for those who insist on living without the joys of meat.

Agree 100% on every thing you said, and yes, I couldn't remember the name of la Barbecue.

ricks

ricks68
09-16-2017, 12:27 AM

San Antonio 2004

OK, here's the list of who signed up to join me (ricks68) at Kreuz Market the weekend of the San Antonio 2004 FF:

dukeinwarsaw
pedro
WiJoe
ajtrublu
kstettler
forrest
drunkasian
JulesInLa
blazindw
SoCalDukeFan
trinity94
pigs2ki
oudevil
madscavenger

*Now, many on the list either did not continue with the "new" DBR when it "refreshed" itself in early 2007, or changed their handle for the new board. Also, many on the list never made it to the event.

So, if those that are still around will chime in and identify themselves, and any others they knew, in the picture, we might be able to identify a good number of those in the picture.

ricks

FadedTackyShirt
09-16-2017, 09:58 AM
Probably La Fogata
(https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x865c5e36ea75936b:0x197ef35964f5ce48!2m22!2 m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m 1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e11 5!4shttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname%3D113904685153554715022%26id%3D624122 8972312427650%26target%3DPHOTO!5sla+fogata,+san+an tonio+TX+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-d3S4ucL7-P0/Vp1MrtCO_II/AAAAAAAAACI/pE5WSCRfJ3043FPWEbdhGBJ3njLkqd8dACLIBGAYYCw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX77DjsajWAhWIxVQKHUl-B7cQoioIiQEwCg)

Gracias, amigo. That's probably it. Huge parking lot, good food, lousy with kitschy Mexican knick knacks. Kinda a Texas version of El Cholo, although their margaritas can't compete...

Jim3k
09-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Gracias, amigo. That's probably it. Huge parking lot, good food, lousy with kitschy Mexican knick knacks. Kinda a Texas version of El Cholo, although their margaritas can't compete...

De Nada. It would be a rare thing to find a margarita which can compete with El Cholo