PDA

View Full Version : Running the Gauntlet

martydoesntfoul
09-14-2017, 02:19 AM
Looking at our next five football opponents really brings the dark underbelly of college athletics to light.

-Baylor: horrific rape scandal
-UNC: worst NCAA academic cheating scandal of all-time and then some
-Miami: cesspool that inspired not one but two 30 for 30s
-Virginia: tragic lacrosse murder scandal
-FSU: trying to give the Cheats a run for their money on multiple fronts

With the exception of UVA, all of these are examples of institutionalized malfeasance and/or irresponsibility on a massive level. I am so proud of our university for doing things the right way, and hope more than anything our commitment to integrity never wavers.

Now let's run the gauntlet!

OldPhiKap
09-14-2017, 04:49 AM
Looking at our next five football opponents really brings the dark underbelly of college athletics to light.

With the exception of UVA, all of these are examples of institutionalized malfeasance and/or irresponsibility on a massive level. I am so proud of our university for doing things the right way, and hope more than anything our commitment to integrity never wavers.

Mark Richt will run a clean program at Miami, or at least try. And agree that UVA takes its commitment to honor pretty seriously as best I can tell.

Let's take care of business Saturday!

75Crazie
09-14-2017, 08:02 AM
I guess you only included UVA because of the schedule sequence ... but they really do not belong in the same list with those four other putrescent examples of collegiate athletics run amok.

budwom
09-14-2017, 08:34 AM
I guess you only included UVA because of the schedule sequence ... but they really do not belong in the same list with those four other putrescent examples of collegiate athletics run amok.

That is true, but back in the days of George Welsh (1980s in particular) he subverted an academic program at UVA in order to augment his football program, and the school allowed him to do it.
Not sure I want to post the details here, but my source was unimpeachable. Still, overall they don't belong in the miscreant category at all. Would still enjoy squashing them, of course.

Neals384
09-14-2017, 09:38 AM

Please use FB: prefix in thread title so folks who don't follow football can save a click. Thanks.

sagegrouse
09-14-2017, 09:56 AM
Please use FB: prefix in thread title so folks who don't follow football can save a click. Thanks.

Yep. Times have changed. When I was a student, many decades before the turn of the Millennium, a Duke home football game was by far the biggest thing on campus and in Durham. In fact, the Duke Library used to close for home football games. We got a letter to the editor at the Chronicle complaining about the library closure -- and we all thought it funny that he had such a distorted sense of priorities as to study when there was a football game on campus.

blazindw
09-14-2017, 11:25 AM

I'm going to obviously take offense to calling Miami a cesspool. Miami is very much removed from the Shapiro scandal and at least 3 coaches removed from that era. Mark Richt has run a clean program thus far and we should instead look at them as a very major test for DukeGang.

And I agree with the others that UVa does not deserve to be mentioned in this group at all. We need to focus on the fact that our team is doing well thus far, but is heading to the meat of the schedule where we are playing some pretty good teams. We can win them all, and we should direct our energy towards that instead of cheap shots at programs that don't deserve them.

AustinDevil
09-14-2017, 01:15 PM

If we're going back and picking up items that led to Miami's multiple 30-for-30s and also mentioning lacrosse, we should also include Baylor basketball's MURDER scandal.

NYBri
09-14-2017, 01:36 PM

Winning them all is the best revenge.

75Crazie
09-14-2017, 02:02 PM
That is true, but back in the days of George Welsh (1980s in particular) he subverted an academic program at UVA in order to augment his football program, and the school allowed him to do it.
Not sure I want to post the details here, but my source was unimpeachable. Still, overall they don't belong in the miscreant category at all. Would still enjoy squashing them, of course.
Well put ... they are not miscreants (probably), but they did most definitely lower the standards of their program significantly in order to compete, while at the same time continuing to trumpet their academic status (sound familiar?). That keeps them in my top five hate list.

duke79
09-14-2017, 03:30 PM

Yea, these teams (and schools) may be among the worst offenders in Division 1 varsity athletics for various scandals and malfeasance over the years (although I would certainly exclude the UVa murder scandal - I'm not sure you can blame the entire university for one deranged kid) BUT I'm not too sure you want to look too deeply below the surface of any Div. 1 athletic program. Even at the Stanford's, ND's, Duke's, Northwestern's, etc, I'm certain there are all sorts of recruiting shenanigans and shortcuts happening to keep kids (in many sports) eligible to play. No doubt it is worse at some schools more than others, but I don't think anyone at this level is lily pure (excuse my cynicism).

budwom
09-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Well put ... they are not miscreants (probably), but they did most definitely lower the standards of their program significantly in order to compete, while at the same time continuing to trumpet their academic status (sound familiar?). That keeps them in my top five hate list.

Glad someone else remembers this. In short, they subverted a state initiative to get more AFAM kids into state schools, and turned it into a program to load up the football team with good players. Some other state schools were not amused, but like unc in North Carolina, a lot of people are willing to overlook unethical behavior if it benefits the local team.

Reilly
09-16-2017, 01:04 AM
Woodrow Wilson was once a UVa student. 'Nuff said.

OldPhiKap
09-16-2017, 07:29 AM
Woodrow Wilson was once a UVa student. 'Nuff said.

Oh. No. You. Did. Ent.