PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 82 - NW Beatdown, Baylor Preview, Bagley Eligible, Zion!

blazindw
09-14-2017, 01:00 AM
Episode 82 is here for your enjoyment! On this episode, we recap the destruction of Northwestern by the DukeGang (*makes Bull City sign*), preview the Baylor game, and then discuss Bagley being eligible and the recruitment of Zion Williamson. Timestamps and links to subscribe are below!

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-82-nw-beatdown-baylor-preview

Timestamps
0:00 - Intros: Sam celebrates his Washington Nationals winning the division
1:26 - DukeGang beatdown! We recap the Northwestern game
2:20 - Donald discusses the offense and how they were able to move the ball at will
6:00 - Sam notes that Duke was only Power 5 team to run 100 plays last weekend
6:43 - Sam says that Coach Cutcliffe seems to trust Daniel Jones more
8:10 - Sam, you were supposed to talk about the defense! Sam moves on to defense
11:30 - Saxton’s strip fumble has us all gushing!
12:45 - We continue to applaud the defense - they were beasts all day!
14:52 - We turn to special teams and especially the kicking game, which was on point
18:30 - NW’s targeting call changed the whole complexion of the game
22:05 - Daniel Jones is no slouch…is NFL in his future?
25:15 - Jason questions why Cutcliffe left some of our stars in there at the end
26:15 - Our first sponsor! Thanks to Ultrarunner!
28:36 - We preview Baylor; Donald gives the 3 keys to victory
34:29 - Sam wants the defense to continue playing their positions
35:44 - Sam asks the question: how long does the current success need to continue before we stop pointing out how bad Duke was for so long?
37:27 - Donald thinks it will take a lot longer for people to stop remembering the Franks/Roof era
40:21 - Jason thinks it’s not that far off because the current students were young during the Franks/Roof era
43:33 - Sam thinks when we stop having the conversations that include “Duke has a football team?”
44:56 - Donald thinks the respect level of Duke Football is growing rapidly with wins and NFL success
47:08 - Jason thinks this is an important year for Duke Football to do well and get to a bowl
48:50 - Donald concludes with eliminating the droughts that have plagued Duke Football
50:24 - DUKE BASKETBALL! Marvin Bagley III is now cleared to play; Jason thinks Kansas fans will be upset
59:45 - Zion Williamson has some nice things to say about Duke - could #1, #2 AND #3 in the Class of 2018 commit?
1:05:17 - Donald poses the question of whether the Superteam Era has now made it to college basketball
1:06:32 - Jason thinks the Class of 2014 started the Superteam Era
1:08:47 - that’s a wrap, we’ll see you next week!

Links:
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Bob Green
09-14-2017, 06:58 PM
A very good job with the podcast guys! There are several comments I could key on but the one I choose to highlight is by Donald when he stated Daniel Jones was making great decisions. The 300 yards passing is impressive, the 100 yards rushing is impressive, but the great decision making is the thing which will pay dividends week in and week out.

Donald hits the home run with his observation! :cool:

Dev11
09-14-2017, 08:01 PM
A very good job with the podcast guys! There are several comments I could key on but the one I choose to highlight is by Donald when he stated Daniel Jones was making great decisions. The 300 yards passing is impressive, the 100 yards rushing is impressive, but the great decision making is the thing which will pay dividends week in and week out.

Donald hits the home run with his observation! :cool:

Given our lack of experience discussing football relative to basketball, I'd say that Bob's opinion is as good as any in judging us. Good work, Donald, I'm going to beat you one of these weeks.

UrinalCake
09-14-2017, 10:15 PM
Great podcast with lots to talk about. I have to disagree strongly with Jason's assessment that our football program was only bad for an 8 year period. I was a student just before that 2000-2008 window (my freshman year was 1995) and we won nine games in my four years. It wasn't just the losing, it was the fact that we didn't even belong on the same field as most of our opponents. The stadium facilities were a joke (nobody could ever find the men's restroom), the practice facilities were easily the worst in the conference and probably among the worst in the P5, attendance was of course abysmal, and the notion of trying to recruit legitimate players to come into that type of program was something nobody could fathom. Most blamed the academic restrictions of the university and thought it would never be possible for a small, private school with the academic profile of Duke to compete, and there were sarcastic (but somewhat legitimate) shouts that we should move down to division 2. It would take a lot for me to stop being amazed at what Cutcliffe has done and to no longer think of Duke as a "program that used to be terrible." We'd probably have to go to a bowl game 3 out of every 4 years for about 20 years. Even then I don't know that the shock would wear off.

Another point to make regarding your discussion of Bolden - I've heard so many people say how sorry they feel for him. UNC fans laugh and say that K tricked him or brainwashed him into staying just so he could recruit over him. And I understand why people would think that, but two things to point out: first of all, there is still plenty of playing time available for him. He, Bagley, and Carter will play the lion's share of minutes at the 4/5 which could theoretically be 26.7 minutes for each of them, but in reality we'll play small some and Javin and Vrank will also get a few minutes. So Bolden may only get 15-20 minutes. But if he proves he deserves to play, he can make the most of those minutes, he won't have to worry about fatigue or foul trouble, and he could show enough to get drafted much like Karl Anthony Towns who only averaged 20 minutes a game and was still the #1 pick. Okay, second point is that whenever last season ended and Bolden was deciding whether or not to stay at Duke, he discussed his role with the team with K and the coaching staff and there's a decent chance they told him that Bagley coming was a possibility. I don't know this for a fact, but I'll be optimistic and believe that they would be honest with him and tell him that. Even if they didn't (perhaps because they coaches didn't know at that point that it could happen), he absolutely knew that Mo Bamba was being heavily recruited by Duke and that there was at least a chance he would come. And that would have been even worse for Bolden than Bagley coming, because they play closer to the same position. Bolden chose to stay even knowing that he might have to compete with Bamba for playing time. So in short, I don't really feel "sorry" for Bolden because he knew at some level that there will always be competition for playing time at Duke, and if he is good enough then he'll play.

Troublemaker
09-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Another point to make regarding your discussion of Bolden - I've heard so many people say how sorry they feel for him.

Yeah, I've written this before, but what's there to feel sorry about? As long as Marques stays healthy, the worst outcome he could encounter is to become a 1st-round draft pick in the depleted 2019 draft.

Oh, poor you. To be 21 years old (he's 19 now), a first-round pick, 6'11" with a 7'6" wingspan, and close to graduating from Duke. Boo hoo. God really dealt you a bad hand there.

atoomer0881
09-15-2017, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I've written this before, but what's there to feel sorry about? As long as Marques stays healthy, the worst outcome he could encounter is to become a 1st-round draft pick in the depleted 2019 draft.

Oh, poor you. To be 21 years old (he's 19 now), a first-round pick, 6'11" with a 7'6" wingspan, and close to graduating from Duke. Boo hoo. God really dealt you a bad hand there.

To be fair to Marques, he's not the one who's complaining. In fact, after listening to him on Scheyer's podcast, I would say the exact opposite. Many people have been raving about how much better he looks coming into this year, and I think one of his final statements to Scheyer was very telling -- that for this year's team to be able to reach that next level and fulfill its potential, people need to be unselfish, and put their personal egos aside for the sake of the team. To me, I interpret that as him having done just that. Would Bamba coming to Duke make us better? Yes? Than I'm fine with us recruiting him. Bamba didn't come, so oh well. Now Bagley can come? Would he make us better? Then yes, I am on board. I know I lean more heavily towards being an optimist, but I really do think Marques is going to have a stellar year this year.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2017, 01:24 PM
T I know I lean more heavily towards being an optimist, but I really do think Marques is going to have a stellar year this year.

Put me in this camp, too. I really look forward to seeing him rip it up this year.

atoomer0881
09-15-2017, 02:01 PM
To be fair to Marques, he's not the one who's complaining. In fact, after listening to him on Scheyer's podcast, I would say the exact opposite. Many people have been raving about how much better he looks coming into this year, and I think one of his final statements to Scheyer was very telling -- that for this year's team to be able to reach that next level and fulfill its potential, people need to be unselfish, and put their personal egos aside for the sake of the team. To me, I interpret that as him having done just that. Would Bamba coming to Duke make us better? Yes? Than I'm fine with us recruiting him. Bamba didn't come, so oh well. Now Bagley can come? Would he make us better? Then yes, I am on board. I know I lean more heavily towards being an optimist, but I really do think Marques is going to have a stellar year this year.

To be more clear, I wrote the bolded part as if imagining Marques saying that to himself.

Troublemaker
09-15-2017, 05:19 PM

Yeah, I didn't intend for my post to come across as criticizing Marques (although I can certainly see why someone would think that, which is my bad :-). I'm a huge supporter, and I also loved what he said on Scheyer's podcast. Like you and OPK, I think he's going to have a very good season.