PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 34, Baylor 20

awhom111
09-09-2017, 07:47 PM
It's time to start thinking about the next game!

Here is the list of television stations carrying the game:
http://www.theacc.com/sportfile.aspx?filename=RSN_FB_0916172431&file_date=9/11/2017

Blackout information (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40438-FB-Baylor-at-Duke-September-16-at-12-30-ET&p=1000455#post1000455) should be available later in the week, but it should include anywhere in the ACC footprint that has a television station carrying the game. Those in the blackout area can only watch through one of the listed channels, either on television or through their online service if they have one. Those outside the blackout zone can watch on one of the listed stations if they are an in-market subscriber, watch on ESPN College Extra (channel assignments available later in the week) if their provider is a subcriber, or watch online through WatchESPN.

loran16
09-10-2017, 05:30 PM
So as I'm sure we all anticipated when Duke first contracted Baylor for a home and home, Duke opened as a 9.5 point FAVORITE over Baylor next week. The line quickly jumped to 13, before dropping now to 12.

Baylor's Offense was pretty awful against UTSA at home last week, after looking good against FCS Liberty (admittedly, that performance against an FCS School carries little weight). Their Defense has been pretty awful against the pass both weeks, allowing over 7 yards per attempt in both games, while also allowing Liberty to rush for a ton of yards. Our offense should be able to score a bunch of points on Baylor, even if they get some things together. Whether our Defense will be majorly tested is unclear.

fuse
09-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Continued improvement, staying healthy, and a win is what I want to see.
Let's go Duke!

sagegrouse
09-10-2017, 06:13 PM
So as I'm sure we all anticipated when Duke first contracted Baylor for a home and home, Duke opened as a 9.5 point FAVORITE over Baylor next week. The line quickly jumped to 13, before dropping now to 12.

Baylor's Offense was pretty awful against UTSA at home last week, after looking good against FCS Liberty (admittedly, that performance against an FCS School carries little weight). Their Defense has been pretty awful against the pass both weeks, allowing over 7 yards per attempt in both games, while also allowing Liberty to rush for a ton of yards. Our offense should be able to score a bunch of points on Baylor, even if they get some things together. Whether our Defense will be majorly tested is unclear.

Let's go Duke!

If we play with the intelligence and intensity that we showed against Northwestern, we should do well against Baylor. If we don't,... well..., I don't want to think about it.

Thought for the day: there seems to a fair amount of NFL talent in our defensive secondary.

TKG
09-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Thought for the day: there seems to a fair amount of NFL talent in our defensive secondary.

sage: much respect for you , but let's wait until we actually play a decent offensive team before we label members of our secondary as NFL-level talent. We have played NCCU and Northwestern. Baylor might not be a worthwhile measuring stick either.

OldPhiKap
09-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Just saw a commercial on FoxSportsSouth for the game, for those hunting.

OZ
09-10-2017, 08:51 PM
If we play with the intelligence and intensity that we showed against Northwestern, we should do well against Baylor. If we don't,... well..., I don't want to think about it.

... and at QB

loran16
09-10-2017, 09:26 PM
It's time to start thinking about the next game!

Here is the list of television stations carrying the game:
http://raycomsports.com/acc-rsn-football-baylor-at-duke/

Blackout information should be available later in the week, but it should include anywhere in the ACC footprint that has a television station carrying the game. Those in the blackout area can only watch through one of the listed channels, either on television or through their online service if they have one. Those outside the blackout zone can watch on one of the listed stations if they are an in-market subscriber, watch on ESPN College Extra (channel assignments available later in the week) if their provider is a subcriber, or watch online through WatchESPN.

So "YES" is showing it on Tape Delay? I hope that doesn't mean i'm blacked out on WatchESPN, ugh.

brevity
09-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Just saw a commercial on FoxSportsSouth for the game, for those hunting.

Why hunt? awhom111 provides, and DBR ignores. A tradition unlike any other.

The thread: Television Information for Baylor Game (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40436)

The link: http://raycomsports.com/acc-rsn-football-baylor-at-duke/

uh_no
09-10-2017, 09:30 PM
does anyone know what channel it will be on in munich :)

brevity
09-10-2017, 09:34 PM

Fünf?

uh_no
09-10-2017, 10:45 PM
Fünf?

funf? the numbers don't go that high at this time of the year....they stop at g'suffa!

tteettimes
09-10-2017, 11:02 PM
You guys need some zeeveeneerslider
(German for Vaseline)

SCMatt33
09-11-2017, 10:42 AM

To be fair, I'm not sure what anyone should have expected the line to be at the time this game was contracted. I can't find a press release, but using the internet archive and fbschedules.com, I can find a reference to this game as far back as January 2010. As of that time, both teams previous bowl appearance was in the 1994 season and Daniel Jones was 12 years old.

PSurprise
09-11-2017, 10:56 AM

ESPNein

devildeac
09-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Acht, diese schrecklichen Wortspiele machen mich in-zehn.

Dukelogger
09-11-2017, 12:12 PM
To be fair, I'm not sure what anyone should have expected the line to be at the time this game was contracted. I can't find a press release, but using the internet archive and fbschedules.com, I can find a reference to this game as far back as January 2010. As of that time, both teams previous bowl appearance was in the 1994 season and Daniel Jones was 12 years old.

Good intel! I for one am shocked Baylor has fallen as far as they have, both on and off the field. I am less surprised that Duke has surged to a program being favored by double digits vs a Big 12 opponent with tons of talent on the roster (ok a little surprised at the defenses performance but the offense has been trending this way, even last year when the numbers were down.)

I mentioned last week in a post (more of a stream of consciousness really) that I for one would love to see us attack with the deep ball. Clearly if you cannot
1. control the LOS (or find ways to mitigate it if you cant control it)
2. stay consistent with the run, and
3. protect the football

...then the deep ball isn't going to have much of an impact.

So lets say this years offense has this foundation in place with a talented-enough Oline with depth, solid run game, and good ball control, and then has a QB, WRs and TEs that can convert consistently with the intermediate passing game. Rahming has been very good at using his smaller stature to get open underneath the defense. And our TE's are usually reliable if the ball hits their hands. So now you've got balance. If you are proficient with just those things, a defense can line up and know what you are good at and match up accordingly and you can still manage to win more individual matchups then you lose and be a good offense.

Now lets say you have a poised QB who can run if needed, and who can spot - at the line of scrimmage - either a bad set or a deficiency in the defense and attack with an audible. Now you've got a great offense. Thats what I expected this year, because I saw all of those things coming into place in 2017. What I hoped we would show - assuming all of the aformentioned things were in place - is the ability to connect consistently with the deep ball.

If a defense has to account for that in order to avoid us getting multiple explosive plays and their safety is cheating even half a step every other play, or corner is a step or two further from the LOS to account for this, that creates a ton of advantages on what could be 50/50 matchups. That is what turns this offense into an unstoppable offense.

(Also WRT the bubble screens etc., some spread offenses have been successful (Clemson 2013-2015; Oregon 2012-2013) at identifying certain opponents that will control the LOS regardless, and still have success with what was usually thought of as "gimmicky" ways to get the ball out in the perimeter immediately. Theres an obvious ceiling though for those offenses, and its not something that a classic Cutcliffe offense would ever rely heavily on, but there's a place for it in small doses IMO.)

Anyway, I'm ecstatic at how our defense looked and cautiously optimistic that we will see them continue to improve as they gain experience and confidence. But I'm bullish about this offense; FSU and Miami will be a huge test but I think this offense can put up points on anyone. Obviously if the defense and special teams are doing their job it will make us that much more dangerous, and vice versa, but I truly believe this will be an offense that can keep us in it against anyone we play this year.

NYBri
09-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Let's go Duke!

Continued improvement with the running game (other than DJ) especially will open things up even more. I am impressed again by the team speed. Can't remember seeing a Devil squad this quick.

nmduke2001
09-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Pipe Dream question, but a guy can dream.

Based on the story from the home page on a former coach saying that Jones should consider the NFL next year, I wonder what it would take for Daniel Jones to get some Heisman talk. Would 6-0 and great stats get him some pub? Would Duke need to beat FSU and Jones have a huge game?

JasonEvans
09-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Sagarin's rankings say Duke is #38 with a 78.05 rating. Baylor is 78th with a 67.07. When you factor in Sagarin's 2.41 point home field advantage, he projects that Duke will win by 13 1/2 points... so the 12 point line is a bargain if you like Duke ;)

The Massey ratings also have Duke at #38, but have Baylor at #85. The tumble that Baylor has taken is really stunning. On Oct 29th of last year, prior to playing at Texas, Baylor was 6-0 and ranked #8 in the nation. They had won 10+ game 3 years in a row, I bet fewer than 5 other programs in the country had won 10+ games 3 years in a row at that point.

Since then they have lost 8 of 9 and they currently appear to be one of the worst teams in any BCS conference. Just a stunning decline.

-Jason "that said, take nothing for granted. They will see Duke as a place to begin their turnaround" Evans

OldPhiKap
09-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Pipe Dream question, but a guy can dream.

Based on the story from the home page on a former coach saying that Jones should consider the NFL next year, I wonder what it would take for Daniel Jones to get some Heisman talk. Would 6-0 and great stats get him some pub? Would Duke need to beat FSU and Jones have a huge game?

Pipe dream answer:

Duke getting to 6-0 before the FSU game would mean we would likely lead the Coastal, would have a win over Miami, and would have beaten the Heels. Duke-FSU would be a nice hype game. A great performance there, and especially a Duke win, would make Jones a hot topic I would think.

Having said that, we are still a few weeks away from even breaking into the top 25 in that scenario. A win over Baylor (if we get one) doesn't move us up, and then a win over the 1-2 or 0-3 Heels (if we get one) likewise doesn't do much. UNC plays Old Dominion this week, so a win doesn't bump them up in respect and a loss sinks them.

Miami would be a key game to break through. Then Virginia, which got trounced by Indiana.

But back to current reality -- hoping to beat Baylor and stay healthy.

loran16
09-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Baylor announces a QB change: sophomore Zach Smith will start at QB.

Smith is more of a deep threat than starting qb anu Solomon, but is not a threat to run. It's probably a wash as far as Duke is concerned

English
09-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Pipe dream answer:

Duke getting to 6-0 before the FSU game would mean we would likely lead the Coastal, would have a win over Miami, and would have beaten the Heels. Duke-FSU would be a nice hype game. A great performance there, and especially a Duke win, would make Jones a hot topic I would think.

Having said that, we are still a few weeks away from even breaking into the top 25 in that scenario. A win over Baylor (if we get one) doesn't move us up, and then a win over the 1-2 or 0-3 Heels (if we get one) likewise doesn't do much. UNC plays Old Dominion this week, so a win doesn't bump them up in respect and a loss sinks them.

Miami would be a key game to break through. Then Virginia, which got trounced by Indiana.

But back to current reality -- hoping to beat Baylor and stay healthy.

I mostly agree with you, but a small quibble--while wins over the next two weeks aren't going to do much for Duke's resume in a vacuum, it would be two additional weeks of NOT LOSING. Attrition among the top-25, especially the latter half of the top-25, could very well have Duke flirting with a number next to its name.

Of course, all that is fun to think about, but it'll take DJ some extraordinary play over the next few weeks to even enter the Heisman conversation. He would almost certainly need to post numbers even better than some of the other bros already in consideration (e.g., Lamar Jax, Sam Darnold, etc.). I do think, after the way Baylor has played to-date, DJ has as good an opportunity ahead on Saturday to put up gaudy stats as anyone.

SCMatt33
09-11-2017, 01:40 PM
Sagarin's rankings say Duke is #38 with a 78.05 rating. Baylor is 78th with a 67.07. When you factor in Sagarin's 2.41 point home field advantage, he projects that Duke will win by 13 1/2 points... so the 12 point line is a bargain if you like Duke ;)

The sharps agree with that analysis, but they were on top of it really fast. The line was already up to 13.5 when I looked early this morning and is currently up to a full two touchdowns. The bargain window was a short one I'm afraid.

OldPhiKap
09-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Baylor announces a QB change: sophomore Zach Smith will start at QB.

Smith is more of a deep threat than starting qb anu Solomon, but is not a threat to run. It's probably a wash as far as Duke is concerned

Last season, Smith had a 139.2 QB rating as a true freshman with 13 TDs against 7 INTs. Started their last four games.

BigWayne
09-11-2017, 01:58 PM

One guy thought it was a good move: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?16430-Duke-Football-2009&p=303562#post303562

We just added Baylor in 2017 and 2018. Smart move I think. Recruiting hot bed and a winnable game against a BCS school.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2009/07/09/07092009wacbuduke.html

DukeDevil
09-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Gonna just throw this out there. I'd love to attend the game Saturday, but I also have a huge exam in 2 weeks (Cardiology board exams) to study for. If anyone in the DC/Baltimore area is thinking of going, I'd love to join, I'll pay more than my fair share of gas and grub, but I do need to spend some of the time in the car there and back studying. When in Durham though, I'll be cheering my butt off!

howardlander
09-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Gonna just throw this out there. I'd love to attend the game Saturday, but I also have a huge exam in 2 weeks (Cardiology board exams) to study for. If anyone in the DC/Baltimore area is thinking of going, I'd love to join, I'll pay more than my fair share of gas and grub, but I do need to spend some of the time in the car there and back studying. When in Durham though, I'll be cheering my butt off!

You could always consider the Amtrak. Plenty of time to study and a short Uber/Lyft ride to/from the stadium. Not sure if the scheduled times work, not that I would trust the schedule much...

Howard

chrishoke
09-11-2017, 02:36 PM

Somebody help this man!

TruBlu
09-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Somebody help this man!

If I lived in the area, I would trade the ride for future consideration of free Angioplasty/Stint.

(Getting to that age, you know . . .)

awhom111
09-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Why hunt? awhom111 provides, and DBR ignores. A tradition unlike any other.

The thread: Television Information for Baylor Game (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40436)

The link: http://raycomsports.com/acc-rsn-football-baylor-at-duke/

In light of this point, can a mod please change the thread title to the correct timezone? I would prefer if nobody thinks that I cannot tell the difference between EST and EDT. For those who get confused between the two or are used to the European convention (where S denotes Summer), most people in areas that do not observe Daylight Savings Time are pretty capable of mentally making the conversion themselves, so ET usually works year around.

loran16
09-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Oops my bad Awhom, mod please fix?

Bob Green
09-11-2017, 06:30 PM
I enjoy reading articles from upcoming opponent's hometown newspaper so here are a couple of links to Waco Tribune articles:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/smith-will-start-at-qb-for-baylor-against-duke/article_a90f9f2b-6af7-5a56-9f44-f4d6d9159165.html

“Jones is a threat on the perimeter, so there’s a lot we’ll have to work on schematically,” Rhule said. “The biggest thing about Coach (David) Cutcliffe’s offenses is that they’re methodical. If we overload the box, they’ll throw it.”

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/winless-bears-face-much-tougher-road-ahead/article_1d72f4e1-c24e-529f-b804-93645f5342c5.html

“I look at things as sort of an overall picture,” Rhule said. “I wasn’t pleased with that. We need to start catching the football better and we need to protect. That’s one of the things I was afraid to have to battle with, and we’d better get a lot better quickly as we start to face better teams.”

uh_no
09-11-2017, 06:35 PM
In light of this point, can a mod please change the thread title to the correct timezone? I would prefer if nobody thinks that I cannot tell the difference between EST and EDT. For those who get confused between the two or are used to the European convention (where S denotes Summer), most people in areas that do not observe Daylight Savings Time are pretty capable of mentally making the conversion themselves, so ET usually works year around.

the clearest is probably GMT -5:00 or as applicable.

or even better, just ditch DST and standardize on a fixed time year round, whether the current standard or DST time.

JetpackJesus
09-11-2017, 07:25 PM

Bold is accurate. I know whether I'm 5 or 6 hours behind the eastern time zone at any given time. It's pretty much an instant mental conversion for ET and PT.

or even better, just ditch DST and standardize on a fixed time year round, whether the current standard or DST time.

Definitely this. I love not having DST. It's great.

cato
09-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Ugh. That would be even worse than when game threads use the 24-hour clock.

JetpackJesus
09-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Ugh. That would be even worse than when game threads use the 24-hour clock.

I think it would be a huge improvement. The names we use in the US for time zones are completely useless for anyone trying to convert between local time and the time in any given US timezone. For the GMT/UTC offset, all you need to know is your local time. Then you can quickly determine what time it is anywhere else in the world.

I'm GMT-10. During DST, Eastern is GMT-4. During standard time, it's GMT-5. In either case, it's a simple matter of adding or subtracting the difference to/from your local time. In most instances, you can count it on your fingers, so even UNC athletes could probably do it.

cato
09-11-2017, 08:09 PM
I think it would be a huge improvement. The names we use in the US for time zones are completely useless for anyone trying to convert between local time and the time in any given US timezone. For the GMT/UTC offset, all you need to know is your local time. Then you can quickly determine what time it is anywhere else in the world.

I'm GMT-10. During DST, Eastern is GMT-4. During standard time, it's GMT-5. In either case, it's a simple matter of adding or subtracting the difference to/from your local time. In most instances, you can count it on your fingers, so even UNC athletes could probably do it.

Why introduce another reference point? 99.9% of US sports fans do not need to do any calculation at all to determine when a game is on locally if given the starting time in the Eastern time zone. The conversion is automatic.

BigWayne
09-11-2017, 08:34 PM
I enjoy reading articles from upcoming opponent's hometown newspaper so here are a couple of links to Waco Tribune articles:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/smith-will-start-at-qb-for-baylor-against-duke/article_a90f9f2b-6af7-5a56-9f44-f4d6d9159165.html

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/winless-bears-face-much-tougher-road-ahead/article_1d72f4e1-c24e-529f-b804-93645f5342c5.html

Dallas paper article on coach's press conference today. (https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/baylorbears/2017/09/11/3-takeaways-baylor-head-coach-matt-rhule-teleconference-change-qb)
Change at QB, working on penalties in practice, playing lots of freshmen.

arnie
09-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Why introduce another reference point? 99.9% of US sports fans do not need to do any calculation at all to determine when a game is on locally if given the starting time in the Eastern time zone. The conversion is automatic.

Additionally, Duke is the center of the universe. Eastern time zone it is.

JetpackJesus
09-11-2017, 09:05 PM

Sorry. I was speaking generally as to the use of GMT/UTC offset instead of using arbitrary words to describe timezones. I don't think it's necessary to do it for these threads for the reasons you stated, and I did not mean to suggest that in my post.

Avvocato
09-11-2017, 11:45 PM
On espn.com, there is an article about the biggest surprises after the first two weeks by Mel Kiper and Todd McShay: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20662081/mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-debate-college-football-biggest-surprise-week-2. The cool part for Duke fans is, in the section on "Prospects on the Rise", McShay writes:

QB Daniel Jones, Duke

Jones is legit. He was awesome during the second half of last season (completed around 64 percent of his throws with nine TDs and just one interception in his final six games), but nobody noticed because Duke was losing. This season, the Blue Devils are off to 2-0 start, including Saturday's 41-17 upset of Northwestern. I look forward to seeing what he can do this season against better ACC competition.

AustinDevil
09-12-2017, 08:05 AM

EST means Eastern Standard Time, the timing convention in use when that time zone is not in daylight-saving mode (EDT). There are indeed European Summer time zones, but they use EEST, CEST, and WEST acronyms.

OldPhiKap
09-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Am I the only one that does not find the game time postings confusing?

Reilly
09-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Additionally, Duke is the center of the universe. Eastern time zone it is.

We could add the day of the week and an am/pm. More importantly, I would prefer that the football game times were pegged to Durham a bit more specifically. So:

FB: Baylor at Duke, Saturday September 16 at 12:30 PM Bull City Time

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2017, 09:40 AM

You are welcome to come join our grubfest at our tailgate on Blue Devil Alley this week (Going old school classic with burgers/hotdogs/fries); our resident cardiologist (DevilDeac) can even help you study! (Although he's more likely to educate you on the finer points of some of the beers we'll be tasting instead of ventricles.)

asbcheeks
09-12-2017, 12:13 PM
So "YES" is showing it on Tape Delay? I hope that doesn't mean i'm blacked out on WatchESPN, ugh.

Did anyone ever get any resolution on this? Will be less than pleased if NYC metro is the only place in the country where you can't watch this game live.

WV_Iron_Duke
09-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Comcast is showing the game in the DC Metro area.

chrishoke
09-12-2017, 04:47 PM
https://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-bears-duke-blue-devils-2017/2017/9/12/16296082/baylor-shakes-up-depth-chart-names-9-new-starters

Uh Oh!

sagegrouse
09-12-2017, 04:55 PM
https://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-bears-duke-blue-devils-2017/2017/9/12/16296082/baylor-shakes-up-depth-chart-names-9-new-starters

Uh Oh!

Money quote re QB change:
QB Zach Smith — Anu Solomon is actually out for Saturday’s game due to the concussion protocol, meaning true freshman Charlie Brewer will be the backup.

devildeac
09-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Uh Oh!

May Baylor be stricken with many illegal procedure/formation and offside penalties, in addition to multiple blown assignments on the OL and DL and coverages on our TE and WR on Saturday due to all the new starters getting used to playing together. :o;)

BigWayne
09-12-2017, 05:46 PM

Uh Oh!

I am really glad to see articles like that about our opponents rather than our own team.

Bob Green
09-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Music to my ears:

Duke Football‏Verified account
@DukeFOOTBALL
Following

"I think we're going to be a much better football team Saturday than we were the first two weeks," @DavidCutcliffe

devildeac
09-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Music to my ears:

Interesting quote as we both agreed our Devils looked pretty good as they dismantled Northwestern. I can't wait to see the "better" version. :D

chrishoke
09-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Interesting quote as we both agreed our Devils looked pretty good as they dismantled Northwestern. I can't wait to see the "better" version. :D

If you are not moving forward, you are going backward.

OldPhiKap
09-12-2017, 08:52 PM

"If you're not first, you're last."

-- Reece Bobby

awhom111
09-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Did anyone ever get any resolution on this? Will be less than pleased if NYC metro is the only place in the country where you can't watch this game live.

I would not expect a blackout map until Thursday at the earliest. Based on similar situations in the past, it is likely to be unrestricted in the YES area if they are not carrying it live.

BigWayne
09-13-2017, 03:56 AM

"If you don't learn, fix and get better when you're winning, the winning will stop." @DavidCutcliffe

Indoor66
09-13-2017, 07:16 AM
My cliche is better than you cliche.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2017, 07:19 AM
My cliche is better than you cliche.

Don't be an idiom.

Lunchab1es
09-13-2017, 08:07 AM
I am impressed again by the team speed. Can't remember seeing a Devil squad this quick.

Nobody can keep up with us when we switch to... RAHMING SPEED!

... I'll show myself out.

camion
09-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Nobody can keep up with us when we switch to... RAHMING SPEED!

... I'll show myself out.

Surely a pun-ishing offense.

Lunchab1es
09-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Surely a pun-ishing offense.

That's correct, Rahming is an integral piece to our punishing offense.

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Ben Swain has an article on wral.com about this being a classic trap game, and it is. I am sure Cut will have the team ready and I think we'll be just fine, but it's a thought.
Favorite line from the whole write-up is the first one.

Just a few short years ago, “accountable for keeping the Duke record book up to date” was the easiest job description bullet point in college athletics. Thanks to David Cutcliffe, that person now goes through as much white-out as a UNC lawyer.
;)

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/it-s-trap-game-season-for-duke-football/16943659/

uh_no
09-13-2017, 10:43 AM
"If you don't learn, fix and get better when you're winning, the winning will stop." @DavidCutcliffe

and this is the epitome of why It bothers me when people rag on others here for pointing out things to work on after wins.

"why can't you just be happy with a win"

English
09-13-2017, 12:16 PM
and this is the epitome of why It bothers me when people rag on others here for pointing out things to work on after wins.

"why can't you just be happy with a win"

Of course post-game analysis includes areas for improvement, but there are certainly times after Duke victories where the tenor around here is surprisingly (at least for me) negative in a "wait, did I watch the same game" sort of way. That, coupled with the fact that the DBR posters, as much as it pains us, cannot actually run the practices after tough wins, so picking apart every negative element isn't super productive, especially when those come with little attribution for the positives.

There is middle ground, as difficult as that may be to believe.

Dukelogger
09-13-2017, 12:52 PM
There is middle ground, as difficult as that may be to believe.

Mostly agree, but with one caveat - the Chapel Hole game. We want to take them to the woodshed every time we play them in any sport and should not settle for sound logic and reason versus the goats, ever.

Can't wait to get loud this Saturday in WW!

Indoor66
09-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Mostly agree, but with one caveat - the Chapel Hole game. We want to take them to the woodshed every time we play them in any sport and should not settle for sound logic and reason versus the goats, ever.

Can't wait to get loud this Saturday in WW!

With them, the only acceptable outcome is the ability and willingness to gloat at the goats.

uh_no
09-13-2017, 02:14 PM
as much as it pains us, cannot actually run the practices after tough wins, so picking apart every negative element isn't super productive

I mean, to be fair, nothing we do here is particularly productive. this is an internet message board about sports.

uh_no
09-13-2017, 02:33 PM
in other news, in a desperate plea for fans at the game: tickets are free for trinity faculty and staff.

killerleft
09-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Ben Swain has an article on wral.com about this being a classic trap game, and it is. I am sure Cut will have the team ready and I think we'll be just fine, but it's a thought.
Favorite line from the whole write-up is the first one.

;)

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/it-s-trap-game-season-for-duke-football/16943659/

"That game marks the only time a Blue Devil team has failed to cover a 7+ point spread against a Power 5 opponent, a fact that is slightly overshadowed by a controversial Miami win accompanied by referee suspensions and formal apologies from the ACC front office. The impacts of losing a trap game were felt the next weekend in Chapel Hill as UNC's championship team demolished Duke 66-31."

Would that so-called championship be the one that UNC was not eligible to win because they were laboring under the yolk and weight of penalties from several of the many major violations that the institute has been managing to pile up for years and years? Sheesh!!

Ben Swain should be ashamed.

Bob Green
09-13-2017, 04:46 PM
in other news, in a desperate plea for fans at the game: tickets are free for trinity faculty and staff.

Season ticket prices were raised for 2017 (I admit they were still relatively inexpensive) but they are giving away tickets to increase attendance. As a multi-season season ticket holder it makes me wonder what are they doing for me besides harassing my wife and daughter over the size of their purse and overcharging me for bottled water.

duke79
09-13-2017, 05:14 PM

Season ticket prices were raised for 2017 (I admit they were still relatively inexpensive) but they are giving away tickets to increase attendance. As a multi-season season ticket holder it makes me wonder what are they doing for me besides harassing my wife and daughter over the size of their purse and overcharging me for bottled water.

Yea, I can understand why those season ticket holders (and game day purchasers) who have to PAY for their tickets are not happy when free tickets are given out to employees and others (can we consider these employment benefits? Like health insurance and the 403(b) plan ?) but given the rather pathetic attendance at most Duke home football games, I DO think the athletic and marketing department have to be creative in trying to get fans in the seats. As I've said before, I feel sorry for Coach Cut, the assistant coaches and, most importantly, the players about the lack of fan support. Frankly, if I were running the show, I'd give out free tickets to ALL Duke employees (2 to 4 each) for most games and I would let all kids under 18 in Durham into the game for free, if their parents or guardian buy a (discounted) ticket. I'd also come up with creative ways to get more students to attend the games (like maybe handing out gift certificates to various restaurants in Durham and CH to students at each game or come up with some other worthwhile prizes?). I realize Duke is not a "football school" but I find the lack of attendance to be embarrassing. I would guess it has to hurt recruiting, to a degree.

devildeac
09-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Season ticket prices were raised for 2017 (I admit they were still relatively inexpensive) but they are giving away tickets to increase attendance. As a multi-season season ticket holder it makes me wonder what are they doing for me besides harassing my wife and daughter over the size of their purse and overcharging me for bottled water and most other concessions. Plus, no re-entry so you can buy more over-priced water and concessions.

Added a few additional points. :o

I will admit, the free parking is a nice change.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2017, 06:27 PM
"I have a great marketing idea. Let's make it as inconvenient and unpleasant as possible to attend a game. The stands will be packed!!!"

Bob Green
09-13-2017, 06:31 PM
I will admit, the free parking is a nice change.

Yes, it is. But free parking is not a season ticket holder perk, parking is free for everyone.

devildeac
09-13-2017, 08:46 PM
Yes, it is. But free parking is not a season ticket holder perk, parking is free for everyone.

You are correct. I wasn't very clear on that point but it did save us at least $50 this year. :D

dukelifer
09-13-2017, 09:04 PM

where did you read this? I thought they were $10 a ticket.

awhom111
09-13-2017, 09:36 PM
We now have a blackout map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3169384.jpg

Based on your location, here are your viewing options:

Black:
-On TV on station linked in first post (may require being an in-market subscriber)
-Online through the internet feature of one of the TV stations linked in first post (may require being an in-market subscriber)

Green:
-On TV on station linked in first post (may require being an in-market subscriber)
-On TV on ESPN College Extra (not carried by all providers)
-Online through the internet feature of one of the TV stations linked in first post (may require being an in-market subscriber)
-Online though WatchESPN

The only thing we are missing is channel assignments for ESPN College Extra for the three national providers, which will hopefully be available by this time tomorrow. If you are a Spectrum cable subscriber, channel assignments will depend on your local lineup so I would check it before the game so you know where to tune.

Jim3k
09-13-2017, 10:24 PM
@ahom111. The original link to Raycom leads to a "Not Found" message on a Raycom page.

Dunno what can be done, but you do have a magic touch with these things. ;)

-jk
09-13-2017, 10:41 PM
A mod can edit the link if we get a good one...

-jk

Sixthman
09-13-2017, 11:32 PM

Does anyone know if season ticket sales were up or down over last year?

uh_no
09-13-2017, 11:45 PM
where did you read this? I thought they were $10 a ticket.

I'm a primary source for events concerning trinity college staff.

awhom111
09-14-2017, 12:23 AM
A mod can edit the link if we get a good one...

-jk

Looks like the ACC website has one now:
http://www.theacc.com/sportfile.aspx?filename=RSN_FB_0916172431&file_date=9/11/2017

TNTDevil
09-14-2017, 01:53 AM
"I have a great marketing idea. Let's make it as inconvenient and unpleasant as possible to attend a game. The stands will be packed!!!"I originally planned to respond in this thread with an overly elaborate and historic look at Duke Football attendance through the years. But, I said: "[GARBLED] that! Let's drink bourbon!"

OPK sums up where the Duke Football gameday experience is heading more succinctly.

I started, 17 years ago, with Duke Football when we moved back to the Triangle because I was a long-time fan of the school and its athletics. So, it was a way for me and my family to participate in the Duke experience, if only in a small way. It was also dirt cheap and just so damn easy. All the more so if you had young kids and a busy schedule. I still buy my season tickets, just not as many, and attend every home game but, almost exclusively as a tailgater. Now, with the game on in HDTV in our spot, it's a better seat and a country-mile more convenient.

I love Duke Football. 15 years ago I talked openly (on the old DBR, James even made it a "sticky") about the days of a competitive team, that made Bowl appearances and, has an active, happening tailgate and/or "gameday experience". Now, that crazy talk has come to pass. However, instead of staying "with the one that brung ya" the Duke Football Gameday Experience seems more focused on rapidly growing new revenue stream(s) than the actual fan's "experience".

Duke's competitive advantage was that it was easy. Someone overlooked that in the marketing study.

Indoor66
09-14-2017, 06:55 AM
Duke's competitive advantage was that it was easy. Someone overlooked that in the marketing study.

That point seems to be lost in most activities. Offering "more" is not always more. It is often only more troublesome and more inconvenient and more incentive to stay away.

budwom
09-14-2017, 07:48 AM
The sad fact is that the folks staying at home and watching on TV are paying the bills by feeding the ESPN monster, at the expense of a half empty stadium. Otherwise we'd have game times that are halfway hospitable.
ESPN gets to call the shots, teams get a bucketful of money. Even large state schools are seeing declining attendance, but they have huge local fan bases. Duke doesn't have that luxury.

I once again offer up the notion of paying people to attend and be rowdy, much as some ethnic groups in the US were once known for paying for weeping, wailing mourners at funerals. Gotta be creative.

chrishoke
09-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Uniform for thge Baylor game.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJsJgTnUEAIMzb3.jpg

Lid
09-14-2017, 10:32 AM
I'm a primary source for events concerning trinity college staff.

FYI for anyone else who's interested, (non-Trinity?) Duke employees can get $10 tickets (https://today.duke.edu/2017/09/cheer-blue-devils-and-save-big) for Saturday.

It is kind of frustrating to buy season tickets, then see the flood of free/cheap tickets... but I'm also happy to support the program. The free parking is a nice move, the bag and no re-entry rules are ridiculous but apparently here to stay. I liked the "277 club" promos this year, but wish they'd been extended to employee season ticket holders. It's always something. ;)

uh_no
09-14-2017, 10:34 AM
FYI for anyone else who's interested, (non-Trinity?) Duke employees can get $10 tickets (https://today.duke.edu/2017/09/cheer-blue-devils-and-save-big) for Saturday.

It is kind of frustrating to buy season tickets, then see the flood of free/cheap tickets... but I'm also happy to support the program. The free parking is a nice move, the bag and no re-entry rules are ridiculous but apparently here to stay. I liked the "277 club" promos this year, but wish they'd been extended to employee season ticket holders. It's always something. ;)

Seems like the solution here is to
1) not renew season tickets
2) when asked why, say it's because of the draconian new policites
3) buy cheap tickets
4) donate to the program anyway

win win!

duke79
09-14-2017, 11:06 AM
The sad fact is that the folks staying at home and watching on TV are paying the bills by feeding the ESPN monster, at the expense of a half empty stadium. Otherwise we'd have game times that are halfway hospitable.
ESPN gets to call the shots, teams get a bucketful of money. Even large state schools are seeing declining attendance, but they have huge local fan bases. Duke doesn't have that luxury.

I once again offer up the notion of paying people to attend and be rowdy, much as some ethnic groups in the US were once known for paying for weeping, wailing mourners at funerals. Gotta be creative.

LOL....not sure we should PAY everyone to attend the games.....BUT I do think (as noted before) that Duke needs to be creative and aggressive in trying to get more fans in the seats, including students, employees (and their families), alumni, and people in Durham and the surrounding region.

uh_no
09-14-2017, 11:07 AM
[/B]

LOL...not sure we should PAY everyone to attend the games....BUT I do think (as noted before) that Duke needs to be creative and aggressive in trying to get more fans in the seats, including students, employees (and their families), alumni, and people in Durham and the surrounding region.

what would you suggest?

OldPhiKap
09-14-2017, 12:24 PM
1. Sell beer at games
2. Contest that gives away two seats to a MBB game, one winner picked per quarter
3. Give-away gifts
4. Fireworks after night games

aGDevil2k
09-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Seems like the solution here is to
1) not renew season tickets
2) when asked why, say it's because of the draconian new policites
3) buy cheap tickets
4) donate to the program anyway

win win!

I did not renew this year for that exact reason. So far, I paid on StubHub $6 each for NCCU, and $6 again for Northwestern. Both times I got to sit on the West side (not like half the season ticket holders showed up for that game).

Duke's ticket office is mind-boggling when it comes to basic economics. Supply and Demand. We don't have the demand to warrant what they are pricing in tickets. They just posted a "deal" for $57 a ticket?! At what point does the University start to realize that butts in the seats, even free, are better than empty bleachers. Those butts buy concessions, maybe apparel, they look better for recruits and they help the team. Players and recruits don't care about how much people pay -- but they care that people are there.

We don't have the alumni or fan base to warrant these prices. Duke should be the best deal in town -- not "a little bit cheaper than NC State"

aGDevil2k
09-14-2017, 02:00 PM
what would you suggest?

The post on the previous page had good ideas - kids under 18 in free with a paying adult. $5 tickets if you live in Durham, Orange, Chatham or Wake Counties, maybe. a Clear bag policy (vs no bag). 10K free tickets to area schools. Just get people there. Once we will it up regularly, we can start to play with the price. Duke just raised the price because we renovated the stadium.

Duke, last year, even discontinued giving former players 2 free tickets to every game -- which would make sense if there were capacity issues or if we had so many former players in the area that could regularly attend games. Just baffling.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2017, 02:43 PM
The post on the previous page had good ideas - kids under 18 in free with a paying adult. $5 tickets if you live in Durham, Orange, Chatham or Wake Counties, maybe. a Clear bag policy (vs no bag). 10K free tickets to area schools. Just get people there. Once we will it up regularly, we can start to play with the price. Duke just raised the price because we renovated the stadium.

Duke, last year, even discontinued giving former players 2 free tickets to every game -- which would make sense if there were capacity issues or if we had so many former players in the area that could regularly attend games. Just baffling.
The discontinuance of two tickets/game for former players was handled poorly to boot. Quite a bit of frustration, ill will, and anger generated in the very people we should be doing whatever we can to honor them. Many played during seasons of gloom while others played on bowl teams. Now they feel closed out when the program is finally gaining credibility again.

PDDuke85
09-14-2017, 02:49 PM

The first responder section needs to be FULL with troops from Ft Bragg, Seymour-Johnson AFB, Pope AFB, Camp Lejeune.

BigWayne
09-14-2017, 02:53 PM
1. Sell beer at games
2. Contest that gives away two seats to a MBB game, one winner picked per quarter
3. Give-away gifts

Great ideas. Also, make the hoops seats in the third and fourth quarter be for an ACC game. First half can be for Nov/Dec games.

killerleft
09-14-2017, 03:04 PM

The general admission season tickets are $115 each (after mandatory shipping & handling), or a bit over $16 apiece. That's a great price for major college football tickets. If Duke can put more people in seats at a cheaper price, I'm all for it, because that enhances the atmosphere in Wally Wade.

Yep, Wallace Wade Stadium. It rubbed me the wrong way when the lady 'beeped' my ticket at the NW game and said, "Welcome to Brooks Field!". My ticket doesn't get me on the elevator to get down there, and my knees might keep me from walking back up.:)

duke79
09-14-2017, 03:08 PM
what would you suggest?

1. Sell beer at games
3. Give-away gifts

I did not renew this year for that exact reason. So far, I paid on StubHub $6 each for NCCU, and $6 again for Northwestern. Both times I got to sit on the West side (not like half the season ticket holders showed up for that game).

Duke's ticket office is mind-boggling when it comes to basic economics. Supply and Demand. We don't have the demand to warrant what they are pricing in tickets. They just posted a "deal" for $57 a ticket?! At what point does the University start to realize that butts in the seats, even free, are better than empty bleachers. Those butts buy concessions, maybe apparel, they look better for recruits and they help the team. Players and recruits don't care about how much people pay -- but they care that people are there.

We don't have the alumni or fan base to warrant these prices. Duke should be the best deal in town -- not "a little bit cheaper than NC State"

The first responder section needs to be FULL with troops from Ft Bragg, Seymour-Johnson AFB, Pope AFB, Camp Lejeune.

See ALL of the above. I'm no marketing or sales expert but there has to be creative ways to entice more students, employees, armed services people, Durhamites, and others to attend some of the games. As already discussed, I would give 2 to 4 (free or heavily discounted) tickets (up to a limit, obviously) to ALL Duke employees (except for the "big" games that naturally draw a paying crowd); let people in Durham attend with discounted tickets and kids under a certain age get in free; give out various cash or gift certificate prizes to students (to be drawn in the 4th quarter and you have to be in attendance to win); give free tickets to all former football players (and maybe ALL former Duke varsity athletes - there can't be that many within reasonable driving distance of Durham); make the game day experience more user friendly; provide reasonably-priced and tasty food and drink; etc. I'm sure there are people on this board with more experience than me who could provide many more suggestions. The Duke athletic department needs to face reality - not as many people are attending live sporting events any more and they need to be aggressive and creative in countering this trend!

budwom
09-14-2017, 03:23 PM
[/B]

LOL...not sure we should PAY everyone to attend the games....BUT I do think (as noted before) that Duke needs to be creative and aggressive in trying to get more fans in the seats, including students, employees (and their families), alumni, and people in Durham and the surrounding region.

I certainly agree. But they've tried giving tickets away en masse (employee appreciation day) and since that doesn't work, the next logical step is to pay for professional fans. Beer included (necessary to generate the desired enthusiasm).

devildeac
09-14-2017, 03:36 PM
I certainly agree. But they've tried giving tickets away en masse (employee appreciation day) and since that doesn't work, the next logical step is to pay for professional fans. Beer included (necessary to generate the desired enthusiasm).

Best perk yet. But, I'm biased. :o

Indoor66
09-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Best perk yet. But, I'm biased. :o

Not biased, a pushover for beer. :p:cool:

chrishoke
09-14-2017, 04:36 PM
How about we combine some of these good ideas. Alow folks to bring in their own beer in clear plastic bags. :D

Bob Green
09-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Zach Smith is excited to play against Duke:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/qb-smith-ready-eager-to-start-on-the-road-against/article_58b1748d-91ac-53d7-aeac-7735ce6891aa.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next

“I think I grew up a lot last year in those four games,” Smith said. “I’m light years ahead. I’ve got some more experience coming in, and I’ve really been preparing hard these last few weeks, and I’m going to prepare hard this week.”

The defense needs to pressure him all day.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Zach Smith is excited to play against Duke:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/qb-smith-ready-eager-to-start-on-the-road-against/article_58b1748d-91ac-53d7-aeac-7735ce6891aa.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next

The defense needs to pressure him all day.

I think we ware facing a hungry team with a lot to prove.

Surprised to hear the coach talk about Smith scrambling or running, that was not the impression I had.

We better bring it.

aGDevil2k
09-14-2017, 06:47 PM
The discontinuance of two tickets/game for former players was handled poorly to boot. Quite a bit of frustration, ill will, and anger generated in the very people we should be doing whatever we can to honor them. Many played during seasons of gloom while others played on bowl teams. Now they feel closed out when the program is finally gaining credibility again.

You summed it up very well - it was absolutely done poorly. Then this year, they just tried to push the suite tickets (the "oh you get two free ones" was hidden). I just don't understand the point!

aGDevil2k
09-14-2017, 07:04 PM

It doesn't help so many employees are UNC fans. BUT, we did have 10K more fans than for Northwestern (and I content a lot more than that, given season ticket seats were half full). So it works to a degree.

Anything other than advertising $57 tickets and calling it a deal. SMH.

We just have to be creative...make it an easy experience. A Fun experience.

And then with students, we need to consider the points system that many schools have gone to -- more football (and other sports = priority hoops entrance). The student turnout this year has been putrid.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2017, 07:05 PM
If only we had, like, a business school or something.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Let's burn the Sept of Baelor! Er, Baylor....

awhom111
09-14-2017, 09:41 PM
We now have channel assignments for ESPN College Extra. Again, these are only for those outside of the blackout zone and Spectrum cable customers should consult their local listings because lineups differ.

DirecTV: 791
AT&T U-Verse: 617
Verizon FIOS: 824

duke79
09-14-2017, 09:49 PM
We now have channel assignments for ESPN College Extra. Again, these are only for those outside of the blackout zone and Spectrum cable customers should consult their local listings because lineups differ.

DirecTV: 791
AT&T U-Verse: 617
Verizon FIOS: 824

DISH channel #??

BigWayne
09-14-2017, 10:42 PM
DISH channel #??

Nope. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_College_Extra)

aGDevil2k
09-15-2017, 09:34 AM
Bear fans are not optimistic - https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/13936

Though they have an article where the coach says he will "Open the playbook"

OldPhiKap
09-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Bear fans are not optimistic - https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/13936

Though they have an article where the coach says he will "Open the playbook"

Pretty brutal expectations in Bear Nation. But I think their team will be hungry and ready to pop. Football is religion in Texas, and they are a proud program.

I would expect a few trick plays from Baylor -- on special teams as well as offense. Especially early. Everyone needs to stick their assignments.

We need to jump out early, no mistakes, and break their will.

Game Day a'comin'!

uh_no
09-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Game Day a'comin'!

mannnn i wish i were in durham....wonder if I can have them put the game on at the hofbraufestzelt

PackMan97
09-15-2017, 11:02 AM
I just wanted to wish you guys well....while they aren't UNC-CHeat bad, Baylor is definitely not one of the good guys in college sports....so go out there and win one for the good guys!

budwom
09-15-2017, 02:23 PM
It doesn't help so many employees are UNC fans. BUT, we did have 10K more fans than for Northwestern (and I content a lot more than that, given season ticket seats were half full). So it works to a degree.

Anything other than advertising $57 tickets and calling it a deal. SMH.

We just have to be creative...make it an easy experience. A Fun experience.

And then with students, we need to consider the points system that many schools have gone to -- more football (and other sports = priority hoops entrance). The student turnout this year has been putrid.

It's tough to separate two issues: general Durham apathy (thus far) and the severe crappiness of noon start times. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about the start times except win, so that the moguls at ESPN can elevate us from the noon minor leagues to more propitious game times, e.g. 3:30...

BigWayne
09-15-2017, 03:00 PM
If only we had, like, a business school or something.

Or any local examples of how to promote sporting events. (http://www.milb.com/promotions/index.jsp?sid=t234)

In reality, I think the contrast between men's hoops and football in terms of the market demand is just so great, that the athletic department can't mentally adjust to what they need to do for football.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Or any local examples of how to promote sporting events. (http://www.milb.com/promotions/index.jsp?sid=t234)

In reality, I think the contrast between men's hoops and football in terms of the market demand is just so great, that the athletic department can't mentally adjust to what they need to do for football.

Maybe we can put a bull on the field goal net. Hit the bull, everyone wins a steak.

uh_no
09-15-2017, 03:36 PM
Maybe we can put a bull on the field goal net. Hit the bull, everyone wins a steak.

free fries!

that's one of my favorite parts of the game

OldPhiKap
09-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Roy Williams bobble-heads.

duke79
09-15-2017, 06:08 PM

I think this is definitely part of the problem. Plus, and let's face reality, since the mid to late 80's (thanks Coach K), Duke has had, arguably, the strongest basketball program in the country, playing in the best college BB league, and in one of the great sporting arenas (and atmosphere) in the world (perhaps hyperbole?). Plus, how many seats in Cameron do you need to sell to the general public - 6,000 to 7,000? Football needs to sell 30,000 to 35,000 or more for each game to fill up the stadium - a much bigger task. I don't think it is ever going to be easy to get capacity or near capacity crowds to WW for most football games but it would be nice to see more fans in the seats.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2017, 06:13 PM
I think this is definitely part of the problem. Plus, and let's face reality, since the mid to late 80's (thanks Coach K), Duke has had, arguably, the strongest basketball program in the country, playing in the best college BB league, and in one of the great sporting arenas (and atmosphere) in the world (perhaps hyperbole?). Plus, how many seats in Cameron do you need to sell to the general public - 6,000 to 7,000? Football needs to sell 30,000 to 35,000 or more for each game to fill up the stadium - a much bigger task. I don't think it is ever going to be easy to get capacity or near capacity crowds to WW for most football games but it would be nice to see more fans in the seats.

Agree it is harder, but we have more students than Notre Dame and not much fewer than Stanford. Both have national alumni bases, as opposed to regional. Both do well in attendance.

I would like to think that if we built into a perennially-ranked team, we would get the turnout. But I'm skeptical. Regardless, the biggest driver of ticket sales is the product on the field.

I am curious to know our average attendance now as opposed to in the Ted Roof years.

Native
09-15-2017, 07:07 PM
I would like to think that if we built into a perennially-ranked team, we would get the turnout. But I'm skeptical. Regardless, the biggest driver of ticket sales is the product on the field.

I have to think part of it is the way the team is marketed to students and young alumni. (I'm not saying the students are blameless here, because they absolutely, 99.999999% bear the blame for not doing their part. And this is coming from someone who attended every home football game — and plenty of away games — during his time at Duke.)

Case in point: when Jamison Crowder makes a huge catch after a crazy comeback to beat the Cheats and send us to a bowl for the first time in Lord knows how long, we have to get the cliched "Touchdown Duke! ...aaaaaaand a side of fries!" that hooked into a promotion they were running that night. Seriously? One of the biggest moments in program history and the PA guy cannot resist issuing a shameless plug.

A lot of the management around the marketing and promotional side of things is just, frankly, lame. To the average Duke student or young alum, there is zero "cool" around the Duke program. It's a shame, too, because Daniel Jones and TJ Rahming are two baaaaaaaad dudes.

Native
09-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Football needs to sell 30,000 to 35,000 or more for each game to fill up the stadium - a much bigger task. I don't think it is ever going to be easy to get capacity or near capacity crowds to WW for most football games but it would be nice to see more fans in the seats.

This. And for those of you pointing to the Durham Bulls, the DBAP only needs to fill 10,000 seats. And it's nearly never a sellout in terms of actual butts in seats.

Scorp4me
09-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Givenplenty of space and make the seats more luxurious thereby making it easier to "fill" the stadium. As much as I hate to say it, tarp off the endzone and force people into the side. If nothing else it'll look more full on the tv, it's a terrible situation that the cameras are angled so that they always get the least full section of WW. TV is paying the bills but it's also made it harder to fill the stadium and that's not just a Duke problem, that's an all sport problem. There have been a lot of creative ideas in this thread, but finding ways to make do with smaller crowds should also be a consideration.

richmclean
09-15-2017, 09:45 PM
As opposed to ND and Stanford Duke has 2 state schools within 25 minutes of each other as competition for butts in seats.

Chicken and egg thing but keep an excellent team on the field with All Americans and high draft choices - like ND, Stanford, State and the other state school - and interest will rise.

orrnot
09-15-2017, 09:58 PM
As opposed to ND and Stanford Duke has 2 state schools within 25 minutes of each other as competition for butts in seats.

Chicken and egg thing but keep an excellent team on the field with All Americans and high draft choices - like State and the other state school - and interest will rise.

Stanford's struggles: http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/stanford-football-raises-ticket-prices-despite-rough-home-attendance-in-2016.html

UNC's struggles: https://www.tarheelblog.com/unc-tar-heels-football/2017/6/11/15770956/unc-tar-heels-football-kenan-stadium-attendance

NCSU's struggles: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article171380172.html

Cameron Indoor's struggles: http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/01/undergraduate-student-attendance-for-duke-mens-basketball-drops-over-time-despite-high-interest-in-tenting

OK, Notre Dame is doing ok.

gep
09-16-2017, 12:52 AM
Givenplenty of space and make the seats more luxurious thereby making it easier to "fill" the stadium. As much as I hate to say it, tarp off the endzone and force people into the side. If nothing else it'll look more full on the tv, it's a terrible situation that the cameras are angled so that they always get the least full section of WW. TV is paying the bills but it's also made it harder to fill the stadium and that's not just a Duke problem, that's an all sport problem. There have been a lot of creative ideas in this thread, but finding ways to make do with smaller crowds should also be a consideration.

I like this option. Unless projected ticket sales dictate, closing off the endzone with a tarp with a BIG BLUE D... :cool: Concentrate the fans in a smaller area gotta be louder???

-bdbd
09-16-2017, 01:24 AM

Chicken and egg thing but keep an excellent team on the field with All Americans and high draft choices - like ND, Stanford, State and the other state school - and interest will rise.

Also, Stanford is smack dab in the middle of a major metro area -- lots more potential butts to put in those seats, also a high-income area (so cost of tix, parking, food is not a big deterrent). The Cardinal has also had more success over the last 20 years (and even some top-flight Heisman candidates), and so has some momentum/enthusiasm on which to build. Even though Stanford is a national school, b/c of the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, I'd bet a lot of money that the number of alums living within an hour of campus is significantly highwe than Duke's.

The Golden Domers have as much FB tradition as anyone in the country. Their long-standing success combined with academic strength, I would argue, makes them the closest thing to a Duke BB following in the football world. They also have the third largest metro area in the country within a couple hours drive, and just a little more to Indy and Detroit.

Jim3k
09-16-2017, 01:55 AM
As much as I hate to say it, tarp off the endzone and force people into the side. If nothing else it'll look more full on the tv, ... but finding ways to make do with smaller crowds should also be a consideration.

Looks like you've been paying attention to the Oakland Coliseum. The Oakland A's, in 1995, tarped off the entire upper deck. It hasn't really helped attendance, but putting an inferior product on the field is partly to blame. In 2017, they removed the tarps and sold seats in that area (except center field). Jury is still out on whether that removal will improve attendance in the long run, but the product remains inferior. If it improves, we'll have better information.

Anyway, tarping the upper decks decreased the 'sellout' number and also stopped the cameras from panning empty seats there. That might well work for Duke's north endzone seats, too.

The A's do have special promotion days which often increase attendance for a day.

uh_no
09-16-2017, 02:38 AM
"Touchdown Duke! ...aaaaaaand a side of fries!"

i'm not going to lie....in the moment, I think among the first things I thought after seeing the TD call was....WOOOO FREE FRIES!

I was a Duke undergrad, but an undergrad nonetheless.....and I reserved my right to get excited about any sort of free food.

Bob Green
09-16-2017, 05:05 AM
Game Day! :cool:

First and foremost - take care of the ball! I'm anxious to see if the defense can dominate again today. On offense, balance is the key. We must achieve success running and passing. Austin Parker needs to do a better job on punts this week. Go Duke!

As much as I hate to say it, tarp off the endzone and force people into the side.

This is a horrible suggestion. I love sitting in the end zone. I sat there as a kid in the 60s and I sit there now as a season ticket holder.

PDDuke85
09-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Game Day! :cool:

First and foremost - take care of the ball! I'm anxious to see if the defense can dominate again today. On offense, balance is the key. We must achieve success running and passing. Austin Parker needs to do a better job on punts this week. Go Duke!

This is a horrible suggestion. I love sitting in the end zone. I sat there as a kid in the 60s and I sit there now as a season ticket holder.

Hoping Austin Parker's punts are pre-game and post half time warm up. Looking forward, as Bob mentions, a well balanced offensive juggernaut that keeps the Baylor defensive on the field in big chunks of time. Happy to see Parker pad his PAT stats.

Keep the end zone seats open. Don't punish those who want to sit there, based on what the appearance of lack of crowd on TV. My only concern is the action on the field, not crowd size. Lower ticket prices, give aways to different groups mentioned previously, relax certain "security measures", and strive every year for a quality product on the field. Go Duke.

sagegrouse
09-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Apparently ESPN Game Day is in New York. The Wall Street Journal posted "spies" along five of NYC's favorite running routes for a total of 12 hours and counted college shirts, hats or shorts among the runners and walkers. The results, based on 227 "hits," are as follows:

1. Michigan
2. Penn
3. Duke
3. NYU
3. Stanford
3. Yale
7. Cornell
7. Princeton
7. Syracuse
7. Virginia

Three ACC schools, four Ivies, plus Michigan and Stanford. The only Division III entry is local NYU. Surprised ultra-loyal Dartmouth isn't represented, or Ohio State for that matter. By the way, the only SEC school was Vandy at #19. Commentary lumped Duke with Stanford as "brainiac schools that are annoyingly good at football."

Indoor66
09-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Apparently ESPN Game Day is in New York. The Wall Street Journal posted "spies" along five of NYC's favorite running routes for a total of 12 hours and counted college shirts, hats or shorts among the runners and walkers. The results, based on 227 "hits," are as follows:

1. Michigan
2. Penn
3. Duke
3. NYU
3. Stanford
3. Yale
7. Cornell
7. Princeton
7. Syracuse
7. Virginia

Three ACC schools, four Ivies, plus Michigan and Stanford. The only Division III entry is local NYU. Surprised ultra-loyal Dartmouth isn't represented, or Ohio State for that matter. By the way, the only SEC school was Vandy at #19. Commentary lumped Duke with Stanford as "brainiac schools that are annoyingly good at football."

But, but, but, where was unCheat? We know they are the most popular, generate the most money and dominate the NCAA - the extent that they will not be punished for 20+ years of of cheating involving thousands of athletes (according to some on this site!:mad:) :rolleyes::cool:

uh_no
09-16-2017, 09:21 AM

1. Michigan
2. Penn
3. Duke
3. NYU
3. Stanford
3. Yale
7. Cornell
7. Princeton
7. Syracuse
7. Virginia

did they list the actual values? Seems like a small enough sample to be somewhat affected by noise.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-16-2017, 11:12 AM

1. Michigan
2. Penn
3. Duke
3. NYU
3. Stanford
3. Yale
7. Cornell
7. Princeton
7. Syracuse
7. Virginia

That's a backhanded compliment I never thought I would see post-Spurrier! I will accept it!

hudlow
09-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Go Duke !!!

riverside6
09-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Live stats and play analysis for the game here

https://www.scacchoops.com/baylor-at-duke-football-live-stats-09162017

LasVegas
09-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Great start.....

Wander
09-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Baylor looks completely horrible. They're incredibly lucky that we made not one but two ridiculous unforced errors on the first two plays of the game.

left_hook_lacey
09-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Why can't I get the game? I have dish with sports package. I can't find the game in any channel listings. So I tried to watch on watch ESPN and it says I'm blacked out?!?! It's not on wral, they are showing state game so what channel is it on?

arnie
09-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Why can't I get the game? I have dish with sports package. I can't find the game in any channel listings. So I tried to watch on watch ESPN and it says I'm blacked out?!?! It's not on wral, they are showing state game so what channel is it on?

Fox Sports South in triangle area

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-16-2017, 01:08 PM

I have had to follow on ESPN Gamecast. Feels like 2007.

arnie
09-16-2017, 01:10 PM

Interesting start - both teams can play O. Our punting and inability to field punts needs a lot of work.

Faison1
09-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Wish I could see!!!

The game is on 5+ channels in the Bay Area, but blacked out on all of them....

They're showing NC State vs. Furman instead!!!!

Any improvement in the stands from anyone who can see?

ChrisP
09-16-2017, 01:36 PM
I'm out of the country and just realized ESPN blocks all non-US IP's (yay) so...have to use their cruddy gametracker. Anyways, what's up with all the sacks Duke's has given up thus far?

bedeviled
09-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Wish I could see!!!

Faison1
09-16-2017, 01:40 PM

Oy!

Thanks for showing me/us.

How does the team look? From the gametracker, it reads like they are playing sloppy.

arnie
09-16-2017, 01:40 PM
I'm out of the country and just realized ESPN blocks all non-US IP's (yay) so...have to use their cruddy gametracker. Anyways, what's up with all the sacks Duke's has given up thus far?

Both teams D improved as game proceeded. Good rush on Jones. We've been given bunch of breaks on Baylor penalties.

duke79
09-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Wish I could see!!!

The game is on 5+ channels in the Bay Area, but blacked out on all of them...

They're showing NC State vs. Furman instead!!!!

Duke up 14-7 with about 10:00 to play in second quarter. I'm watching online with ESPN. No TV in my area (at least with my current package on DISH).

Crowd looks thin......at least on the side of the stadium that that TV shows.

Indoor66
09-16-2017, 01:51 PM
That one hurt. Needed a score there.

arnie
09-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Duke up 14-7 with about 10:00 to play in second quarter. I'm watching online with ESPN. No TV in my area (at least with my current package on DISH).

Crowd looks thin...at least on the side of the stadium that that TV shows.

Kicking still a problem. Parker missed a 32-yd FG wide and punting is below average. D looking strong for now.

duke79
09-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Kicking still a problem. Parker missed a 32-yd FG wide and punting is below average. D looking strong for now.

what happened to the guy from Tufts?

Indoor66
09-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Not good.

ChrisP
Ugh!

Tripping William
Two YUGE missed opportunities. We're keeping Baylor in it.

arnie
09-16-2017, 02:06 PM

Brittain Brown is powerful - running game with he and Wilson solid. D has been great, so disappointing to only be up 14-7 at half. Special teams could bite us against good teams.

BLPOG
09-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Oy!

Thanks for showing me/us.

How does the team look? From the gametracker, it reads like they are playing sloppy.

Sloppy is about right.

75Crazie
09-16-2017, 02:08 PM
My quick first-half assessment: Baylor has given us a HUGE advantage with the number of offensive fouls they have committed. As somebody mentioned, the Duke D has improved in the second quarter, but Baylor could easily have gone out to a two or three score advantage in the first quarter if they had not shot themselves in the foot with penalties. Duke's halftime advantage is due solely to the foul situation and to two big running plays. Jones looks a little skittish to me, due to the Baylor pass rush. This game is by no means decided as of halftime.

arnie
09-16-2017, 02:12 PM
My quick first-half assessment: Baylor has given us a HUGE advantage with the number of offensive fouls they have committed. As somebody mentioned, the Duke D has improved in the second quarter, but Baylor could easily have gone out to a two or three score advantage in the first quarter if they had not shot themselves in the foot with penalties. Duke's halftime advantage is due solely to the foul situation and to two big running plays. Jones looks a little skittish to me, due to the Baylor pass rush. This game is by no means decided as of halftime.

Good summary. Also we're giving up lots of field position because we can't catch punts in the air. Maybe consider using 2 back to field punts on 4th and long? Again, D is very impressive.

DukeDevil
09-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Good summary. Also we're giving up lots of field position because we can't catch punts in the air. Maybe consider using 2 back to field punts on 4th and long? Again, D is very impressive.

These noon games with the sun high in the sky has made it hard on receivers for punt returns last couple games. Frustrating to see.

kcduke75
09-16-2017, 02:18 PM
These noon games with the sun high in the sky has made it hard on receivers for punt returns last couple games. Frustrating to see.

Mostly cloudy and the lights are on.

ricks68
09-16-2017, 02:19 PM

I can get it on 628, plus about 4 more in the 600's.

ricks

arnie
09-16-2017, 02:21 PM

Yea I guess the Baylor returners see better in the sun.

arnie
09-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Yea I guess the Baylor returners see better in the sun.

That's encouraging.

YmoBeThere
09-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Well, we can't ask for a better record at this point.

Indoor66
09-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Some can never seem to be pleased. Perfection or nothing. 🙄

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-16-2017, 04:26 PM
Some can never seem to be pleased. Perfection or nothing. 🙄

I must be confused. I thought 3-0 was perfect. Must be new math.

Go Duke!

Indoor66
09-16-2017, 04:33 PM
My reference was to play, not the record.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-16-2017, 04:47 PM
My reference was to play, not the record.

I understand of course. Just thinking big picture.

alteran
09-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Yea, I can understand why those season ticket holders (and game day purchasers) who have to PAY for their tickets are not happy when free tickets are given out to employees and others (can we consider these employment benefits? Like health insurance and the 403(b) plan ?) but given the rather pathetic attendance at most Duke home football games, I DO think the athletic and marketing department have to be creative in trying to get fans in the seats. As I've said before, I feel sorry for Coach Cut, the assistant coaches and, most importantly, the players about the lack of fan support. Frankly, if I were running the show, I'd give out free tickets to ALL Duke employees (2 to 4 each) for most games and I would let all kids under 18 in Durham into the game for free, if their parents or guardian buy a (discounted) ticket. I'd also come up with creative ways to get more students to attend the games (like maybe handing out gift certificates to various restaurants in Durham and CH to students at each game or come up with some other worthwhile prizes?). I realize Duke is not a "football school" but I find the lack of attendance to be embarrassing. I would guess it has to hurt recruiting, to a degree.
I'm a season ticket holder. I'm up for Duke getting butts in seats.

Free parking, facility upgrades (bathrooms!), reaching out to Durham, free tickets-- whatever it takes.

75Crazie
09-16-2017, 05:03 PM
I'm a season ticket holder. I'm up for Duke getting butts in seats.

Free parking, facility upgrades (bathrooms!), reaching out to Durham, free tickets-- whatever it takes.
If you truly mean "whatever it takes", then add "saying no to TV money and scheduling September games at night". But I have a feeling that "whatever" doesn't stretch that far.

brlftz
09-16-2017, 05:04 PM
3-0 with wins over Nortwestern and Baylor, and...crickets?

loran16
09-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Well there'll be a lot of things to work on, but not to be a cliche, but I really think this is a game this team needed. They got the W, yet had plenty of clear errors and mistakes to fix, so they won't be riding unearned confidence to next week's big showdown.

The biggest problem today was the offensive line. Baylor regularly got pressure on Daniel Jones, despite often rushing only 3 or 4. Now Baylor's D hasn't been great in prior games, but they're obviously full of talented players, maybe more talented players than that of UNC. Still, the OLine play needs to improve.

Jones also had a really bad performance. I think a lot of that was a weird reluctance to use his own legs - whereas against NW he optioned into a bunch of deadly QB Runs, Jones rarely called his own number today, and particularly took a few sacks or bad throws under pressure when the lane was open ahead of him. Not sure what was going on there. Jones has the arm strength to be an NFL QB, but he overuses it at times, and it got him in some serious trouble today.

Obviously both Wilson and Brown turned in excellent performances, as did the Defensive Secondary outside of a few plays. Defensive playcalling in the first half was a bit weird though - facing a non-mobile QB, Knowles elected to play more coverage than blitz, and as a result Duke only had I think 2 sacks, with both coming in the second half. Can't afford that vs better QBs, which we will definitely be facing.

Three and 0 and plenty of room to improve.

Dukehky
09-16-2017, 06:02 PM
I like this game. Last year we would have kinda blown something. But the defense got us this win, the backs looked great.

Baylor still has some real dudes on the d line, so I'm not super surprised that they rushed well, especially considering that Cut said they didn't show anything that they've done before. So Jones didn't really have much preparation that was useful out there.

I just think this can be a good win to learn from. But 3-0 going into a very winnable UNC game. 4-0 at home against Miami might put some butts in the seats.

Jones hasn't come close to playing his best and we're 3 and 0. That's good. Our defense is legit though, and that's cool. They had 57 rushing yards today. We've given up 140 or so yards on the ground all year.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-16-2017, 06:35 PM
Definitely embarrassing to look at the stands. We had more fans at my high school games.

dukelifer
09-16-2017, 06:36 PM
See ALL of the above. I'm no marketing or sales expert but there has to be creative ways to entice more students, employees, armed services people, Durhamites, and others to attend some of the games. As already discussed, I would give 2 to 4 (free or heavily discounted) tickets (up to a limit, obviously) to ALL Duke employees (except for the "big" games that naturally draw a paying crowd); let people in Durham attend with discounted tickets and kids under a certain age get in free; give out various cash or gift certificate prizes to students (to be drawn in the 4th quarter and you have to be in attendance to win); give free tickets to all former football players (and maybe ALL former Duke varsity athletes - there can't be that many within reasonable driving distance of Durham); make the game day experience more user friendly; provide reasonably-priced and tasty food and drink; etc. I'm sure there are people on this board with more experience than me who could provide many more suggestions. The Duke athletic department needs to face reality - not as many people are attending live sporting events any more and they need to be aggressive and creative in countering this trend!

It is worth running the experiment. Just to see what it will take. I was lured in with cheaper game day tix. 10 bucks is a reasonable price- even if you have to overpay for food etc.

killerleft
09-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Definitely embarrassing to look at the stands. We had more fans at my high school games.

Quite a few more today than last week, I think. Haven't seen the attendance figures yet.

Dukehky
09-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Quite a few more today than last week, I think. Haven't seen the attendance figures yet.

Just over 26K according to the ESPN app. That seems little high. But atmosphere was okay.

duketaylor
09-16-2017, 07:10 PM
BC looks awful against ND. I think the ND QB is still running, may be about to South Bend by midnight;) RB may be just behind him!

In our game I noticed our right OT was beaten several times causing us big problems; need to shore that up. On one sack against Jones, he was simply run over by a smaller defender (not a small defender, just smaller than out RT). Noticed other plays, similarly. Duke dropped 2 potential INT's. I loved seeing the speed and strength of both running backs as well as the speed of many of the linebackers and DB's. Just can't get burned quite so often on a slant route. The pass Daniel threw in the 4th quarter when 3rd and long that was picked was a poor decision; should've thrown it away and settled for a FG try (scary as that may be). This team has very good potential in my eye.

ipatent
09-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Baylor is a puzzling team, they have a fair amount of talent and played hard with no quit, which was a little bit of a surprise considering their record suggested a team in meltdown. They've got an issue with the mental game, with the penalties that do not reflect well on the coaching staff. Their rush and pass defense were pretty good and were a test that should help the development of Jones and the O-line. This could have been a much closer game if not for the long runs by Wilson and Brown. Baylor has the tools to pull an upset or two down the line.

Big plays aside, solid defensive performance for the third straight week.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-16-2017, 07:57 PM

On TV it was embarrassing.

duketaylor
09-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Bowl looked to be about 20-25% full. Argh!

alteran
09-16-2017, 08:17 PM
On TV it was embarrassing.

Unfortunately, the side with the majority of people-- the side where the sun is not taking years off your life-- is the side that is set up for broadcast. I'm not sure what can be done about that, but that side is going to be the absolute last place in the stadium to fill up until we start playing night games.

Bob Green
09-16-2017, 08:17 PM
Shaun Wilson with 260 All Purpose Yards. Brittain Brown with 157 All Purpose Yards. That is a helluva backfield combination.

Indoor66
09-16-2017, 08:20 PM
The east side has been a place of misery for day games forever. Somehow, the sun has always been shining on it with no shade. 😋

Scorp4me
09-16-2017, 08:29 PM
It was down right miserable today to be quite honest. When a cloud was out it was bearable, but otherwise the sun was just awful!

OldPhiKap
09-16-2017, 09:31 PM
{sniff} {sniff} is that sulphur I am starting to smell with that wind out of the south?

aGDevil2k
09-16-2017, 09:43 PM

That was the "home" side early in the 2nd quarter. GA stands weren't bad today -- until the heat just got unbearable (and until the clouds really took over, the first 3 quarters were brutal in the sun). "Heroes Corner" is a flop. Maybe they should also include Durham/Wake/Orange teachers in that? Something...

But the biggest problem this year, so far, is that the blue seats are half-full.

We are definitely overpriced - they did $15 walkup tickets, and GA was pretty solid. You need to stop the gimmicks, and price it to get people there. Duke needs to be the place you can go and have a fun, affordable outing. Once we get sold out regularly, we can look at raising prices.

Unfortunately, Miami being a Friday night could lead to a weird crowd. I don't know what to expect. I remember 4 years ago, it was PACKED for that game. Two years ago, for the ref debacle, it was pretty good...but Halloween night was weird.

I hope the ticket office has a BIG meeting first thing Monday to really rethink their pathetic strategy of the last few years. Just because you made the stadium modern doesn't mean you're going to get a massive crowd and can price it as such ($57 tickets to Baylor game as of wednesday)

aGDevil2k
09-16-2017, 09:45 PM
It was down right miserable today to be quite honest. When a cloud was out it was bearable, but otherwise the sun was just awful!

It wasn't Navy or Virginia (07? I cant remember which year) hot...but it was BAD. Did you feel those aluminum bleachers? They were scalding. My son got so hot he couldn't take it and so half the family had to leave at the half.

I hope they replace the benches with blue benches, at least. Something that won't get as hot as metal.

OZ
09-16-2017, 11:09 PM
If you truly mean "whatever it takes", then add "saying no to TV money and scheduling September games at night". But I have a feeling that "whatever" doesn't stretch that far.

An added advantage of that would be those who usually watch on tv would not be embarrassed by the 1/2 full stands...as there would be no tv! I have but one butt... it is a four hour trip...but I'm there. I suggest some who complain about the empty seats do the same. If you can't make it, that probably explains why the stands aren't full. We did have a larger group of students today; but as per usual, at half, half of them left. I'm guessing they are young and tender and can't take the sun like us old "crusties."

As to the game... I was proud of our team today. The main players on this team consist of 22 fr, r-fr, soph and r-soph. That's a YOUNG team! They are going to make mistakes. We beat a rejuvenated team today, that has some really talented players. They probably played their best today, while we didn't... but we won and that's a good thing!

My biggest concern today was why in the world was Cut still playing an oft "dinged" Wilson and our only real QB with 1.35 left? Wilson was still carrying the ball; and for whatever reason, Jones decided to call his number and took a couple of dangerous shots to the head.

TruBlu
09-17-2017, 07:19 AM
My early morning, not enough coffee, incoherent thoughts:

1) Take away big plays, and Duke wins this game 3 - 0. The shortest offensive touchdown by either team was 34 yards. Break but don't bend.

2) Still trying to figure out how Baylor always managed to punt downhill with the wind at their back, while we had to punt uphill against the wind.

3) It seems to me that the DJ keeper was intentionally abandoned, perhaps to protect him from hard hits. Too bad that the OL didn't do a good job of protecting him from hard hits in the pocket.

Good, but somewhat ugly win. Improve a lot this week in practice!

Most importantly:

BEAT THE CHEATS

sagegrouse
09-17-2017, 09:38 AM
I was reluctant to comment on a game I did not see or follow. But then, I remembered James Mill, the 18th century British historian and political philosopher, who made his fame and fortune on The History of British India, and never once went to India -- and claimed this was an advantage!

Looking at the results, it seems like the Duke coaching staff decided to stuff the run and dare an unproven quarterback to beat us. It is high risk and high reward and was a characteristic David Cutcliffe decision. The results: we gave up three long pass plays scoring 20 points but garnered three interceptions and a fumble, leading to ten points. We also held Baylor to 57 yards on 27 carries (2.1 YPC).

On the other side, Baylor concentrated on stopping Daniel Jones -- and did. But our running game was incredibly good -- 51 carries for 246 yards.

Kindly,
Sage
' James Mill was father of John Stuart'

4Gen
09-17-2017, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would elect to sit on aluminum seats in the endzone. You can sit virtually anywhere you want, including the west side. I and my entourage of eight sat in last year's student section, same as we did when it was the student section.

Native
09-17-2017, 10:08 AM
But our running game was incredibly good -- 51 carries for 246 yards.

Brittain Brown is that dude. He absolutely trucked a defender (https://twitter.com/FOXSportsSouth/status/909104985719193600) on a TD run.

Scorp4me
09-17-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would elect to sit on aluminum seats in the endzone. You can sit virtually anywhere you want, including the west side. I and my entourage of eight sat in last year's student section, same as we did when it was the student section.

Well I'm not sure why but they always ask to see my ticket when I go down the stairs to my seat. Another ridiculous example of acting like it's a sell out when it's no where close.

4Gen
09-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Well I'm not sure why but they always ask to see my ticket when I go down the stairs to my seat. Another ridiculous example of acting like it's a sell out when it's no where close.

By the first timeout, they lose interest. And I never try to sit in the premiere section. They just seem happy to see us.

Bob Green
09-17-2017, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would elect to sit on aluminum seats in the endzone.

A couple of reasons. First, I like the end zone view. As I stated earlier in the thread, I sat there as a kid and I still sit there. Second, the General Admission season tickets I purchased authorize me and my family to sit in Section 19. Perhaps it is the 30 years I spent on active duty in the military which motivates me to follow the rules.

Sixthman
09-17-2017, 11:16 AM
My early morning, not enough coffee, incoherent thoughts:

3) It seems to me that the DJ keeper was intentionally abandoned, perhaps to protect him from hard hits. Too bad that the OL didn't do a good job of protecting him from hard hits in the pocket.

Good, but somewhat ugly win. Improve a lot this week in practice!

Most importantly:

BEAT THE CHEATS

I agree that the Jones keeper was intentionally abandoned. I thought it hurt our offensive play calling, which was, on the whole, weak in this game. Our wide receivers and tight ends simply could get separation -- which made us very one dimensional. Hand off to the running backs and pass to the running backs. It's a testament to our backs and o-line -- and perhaps an indictment of the Baylor defense -- that they were so consistently effective. If some called running plays for Jones or at least some read options where he kept the ball had been more frequent, I think everything would have been a whole lot easier. I'm not sure that it actually protected Jones, as you could argue that Jones not running made at least a couple of the sacks he took possible.

I think this board has been a little kind to the team regarding the game. Jones had a poor game, the wide receivers had a poor game, we let punts bounce which should have been fielded (giving up at least 60 yards of field position over the course of the game) and gave up several (5 I think) sacks. We made big plays, but we gave up bigger plays. They were so obvious. I was at the game, and swear on the last two long Baylor touchdowns I closed my eyes knowing the outcome while the ball was still in the air (one of these was a five yard pass which from my end zone view was literally clearly going to result in a 75 yard touchdown while the pass was in the air). That's a Duke mistake, not a great Baylor play.

Of course, the great thing is we played through all of this against a team with some real talent which played hard the whole game. I think it's fair to say that when good teams play poorly they still win. I think we might be a good team.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2017, 11:30 AM
I agree that the Jones keeper was intentionally abandoned. I thought it hurt our offensive play calling, which was, on the whole, weak in this game. Our wide receivers and tight ends simply could get separation -- which made us very one dimensional. Hand off to the running backs and pass to the running backs. It's a testament to our backs and o-line -- and perhaps an indictment of the Baylor defense -- that they were so consistently effective. If some called running plays for Jones or at least some read options where he kept the ball had been more frequent, I think everything would have been a whole lot easier. I'm not sure that it actually protected Jones, as you could argue that Jones not running made at least a couple of the sacks he took possible.

I think this board has been a little kind to the team regarding the game. Jones had a poor game, the wide receivers had a poor game, we let punts bounce which should have been fielded (giving up at least 60 yards of field position over the course of the game) and gave up several (5 I think) sacks. We made big plays, but we gave up bigger plays. They were so obvious. I was at the game, and swear on the last two long Baylor touchdowns I closed my eyes knowing the outcome while the ball was still in the air (one of these was a five yard pass which from my end zone view was literally clearly going to result in a 75 yard touchdown while the pass was in the air). That's a Duke mistake, not a great Baylor play.

Of course, the great thing is we played through all of this against a team with some real talent which played hard the whole game. I think it's fair to say that when good teams play poorly they still win. I think we might be a good team.

I think all of this is fair, with the exception of the play-calling. I thought the plays calls were very good overall. When they didn't work, it was largely because we did not stop a three-man rush or because Jones threw into strong coverage. That opening drop hurt, too.

Offense and defense were both solid in the run games. Less so in passing. Special teams are, for a Cut team, surprisingly struggling. I will give a shout to Austin Parker for hitting his last two field goals. The first one, while makeable, was at a tough angle. Rather than get down on him for it, I'm glad he bounced back and shook it off.

Way too many turnovers (lucky to recover that fumble in the backfield, or it would have been worse). Baylor's penalties and the Humphreys pick-six were the difference.

Baylor has talent and played with passion. When some of their injured players come back, this could be a decent team. Hoping they win A bunch from here to boost our schedule strength!

budwom
09-17-2017, 11:31 AM
^ agreed, lots of poor play yesterday, along with some good play. Offense in general struggled quite a bit, despite some good plays...We could use more speed at receiver, which is why I've been
waiting for Bracey (Godot).

OldPhiKap
09-17-2017, 11:34 AM
^ agreed, lots of poor play yesterday, along with some good play. Offense in general struggled quite a bit, despite some good plays...We could use more speed at receiver, which is why I've been
waiting for Bracey (Godot).

Liked the jet sweep we tried in first half with Bracey! Although I think that was his only touch (?)

martydoesntfoul
09-17-2017, 11:42 AM
^ perhaps a glimpse in advance of his plans to shock the world in Game 4!?

OldPhiKap
09-17-2017, 11:42 AM
^ perhaps a glimpse in advance of his plans to shock the world in Game 4!?

I like the way you think!

arnie
09-17-2017, 12:24 PM
I think all of this is fair, with the exception of the play-calling. I thought the plays calls were very good overall. When they didn't work, it was largely because we did not stop a three-man rush or because Jones threw into strong coverage. That opening drop hurt, too.

Offense and defense were both solid in the run games. Less so in passing. Special teams are, for a Cut team, surprisingly struggling. I will give a shout to Austin Parker for hitting his last two field goals. The first one, while makeable, was at a tough angle. Rather than get down on him for it, I'm glad he bounced back and shook it off.

Way too many turnovers (lucky to recover that fumble in the backfield, or it would have been worse). Baylor's penalties and the Humphreys pick-six were the difference.

Baylor has talent and played with passion. When some of their injured players come back, this could be a decent team. Hoping they win A bunch from here to boost our schedule strength!

Caught a segment by Steve Logan this morning. Logan is the only Triangle sports commentator that actually discusses the games and reasons for outcomes. Of course he's very blunt: praise for our center and two guards, but thinks our tackle play was very poor. Said Jones had no outside protection at all and expects Cut to design plays away from our weakness. He also thinks Baylor's athletes superior to NW's. Interesting perspective from an outsider.

chrishoke
09-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Caught a segment by Steve Logan this morning. Logan is the only Triangle sports commentator that actually discusses the games and reasons for outcomes. Of course he's very blunt: praise for our center and two guards, but thinks our tackle play was very poor. Said Jones had no outside protection at all and expects Cut to design plays away from our weakness. He also thinks Baylor's athletes superior to NW's. Interesting perspective from an outsider.

That is spot on. I love listening to Steve.

aGDevil2k
09-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Spot on comments by Logan, for sure. It wasn't a good day for the line. Really just the two RBs could be happy with their performances.

Regarding attendance, during the football show, they just advertised tickets for $62 for the Miami game. I guess we still don't care about having fans in attendance :(

devildeac
09-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Liked the jet sweep we tried in first half with Bracey! Although I think that was his only touch (?)

Interesting. The espn stats say 1 catch for 3 yards and list no yards rushing. I think they mixed up the plays and that you are correct with your statement of 1 touch for Bracey.

devildeac
09-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Spot on comments by Logan, for sure. It wasn't a good day for the line. Really just the two RBs could be happy with their performances.

Regarding attendance, during the football show, they just advertised tickets for $62 for the Miami game. I guess we still don't care about having fans in attendance :(

Ours are GA and I think $27/ticket without going downstairs to check in our ticket folder to verify. Your point is well taken that $62 is ridiculous.

jimsumner
09-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Interesting. The espn stats say 1 catch for 3 yards and list no yards rushing. I think they mixed up the plays and that you are correct with your statement of 1 touch for Bracey.

It was the same play. A forward pitch to Bracey that is considered a pass.

alteran
09-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Yeah, not a fan of that. If someone's in my seat when I go down, I ask them to move and they do. No problem.

Keep in mind, a lot of tickets are held by people of means (that pay retail for seats) that aren't actually there a lot of the time. Why not let people fill in? Anything to better the experience for people actually attending.

FWIW, my experience is they stop checking after the first quarter.

Bob Green

Bracey's jet sweep goes in the record books as a forward pass reception because Daniel Jones tossed the ball forward to Bracey as a result of the play being run from the shotgun formation.

devildeac
It was the same play. A forward pitch to Bracey that is considered a pass.

Thanks. I recall the play but couldn't remember whether it was a forward or backward pitch. Must have been Bob Green getting in my field of vision. :o

Edit: I see Bob clarified this, too, so thanks to him!

Richard Berg
09-17-2017, 02:05 PM
I thought the jet sweep was nullified by penalty? Maybe that was a Rahming play?

Of course he's very blunt: praise for our center and two guards, but thinks our tackle play was very poor.
The RT in particular (OSU xfer) was really poor. Jeremy Cash needs to have some words with him on how ex-Buckeye toughness is supposed to manifest on the field.

It seems to me that the DJ keeper was intentionally abandoned, perhaps to protect him from hard hits.
Reasonable theory, but Cut has never erred on the side of protecting big-framed QBs in the past (Sirk, Connette). I figured it was due DJ's first read-option ending in fumble.

Jim3k
09-17-2017, 04:33 PM
I thought the jet sweep was nullified by penalty? Maybe that was a Rahming play?

The RT in particular (OSU xfer) was really poor. Jeremy Cash needs to have some words with him on how ex-Buckeye toughness is supposed to manifest on the field.

Reasonable theory, but Cut has never erred on the side of protecting big-framed QBs in the past (Sirk, Connette). I figured it was due DJ's first read-option ending in fumble.

Easy on Lisle. He was really good in the Northwestern game. Even I saw it. As I understand it, Baylor changed up their defenses from their previous games and Duke was unprepared for that and didn't adjust well. It is true that our right side was attacked, but I suspect there was unexpected stunting (which I am incapable of seeing in real time) which Coach Knowles couldn't fix on the fly. Lisle is a load, but I agree that it is also possible that he didn't adjust if told to do so. Despite that, I'm betting we see a resumption of his Northwestern excellence against the Cheats.

In addition, it appears that the Baylor defensive adjustments caused Jones some trouble as he saw unexpected alignments and wasn't always able to change to an appropriate play.

So our offensive shortcomings are likely to Baylor's credit. That we won anyway is a credit to our team's effort. We'll learn from it.

Bob Green
09-17-2017, 04:58 PM
What team has the nation's #1 rushing defense?

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

chrishoke
09-17-2017, 05:18 PM

Iron Dukes.

arnie
09-17-2017, 05:24 PM

It's all a $$ analysis. Maybe they assume no more than 5k additional walk up fans; and most will be serious interest fans that'll pay whatever. Take what you can. Might also be gambling that we beat the Heels and demand high for that game.

I don't agree with the strategy- just think short term rather than building the base. Very few loss leaders at Duke.

IsInTheDetails
09-17-2017, 05:26 PM

And half of those yards came on a fluke play by NCCU.

chrishoke
09-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Somebody should start a cheater thread. We open as a 3 point favorite at the dump on the hump.

OZ
09-17-2017, 05:47 PM
+ Perhaps it would help to get students out of the sun. The band members have to be suffering in those unis

+ The west side not being full... Keep in mind, they added a section of seats lower down; and I suspect some of those folks seated in that new upper level used to sit downstairs. When, I look at the size of the crowd, I never think about those folks... only, that the new level provides me welcomed shade.

+ Finally, I think it would help to bring in teams that would provide an interesting/competitive game while appealing to local interest... East Carolina, Appalachian or South Carolina. These teams also have a good following. NW and Baylor are not going to fill the stands. Who in the Durham area is interested in NW? The conference also needs to get a brain and give us back our NC State games - 20 miles down the road and we never play them.... ridiculous.

CameronBornAndBred
09-17-2017, 06:05 PM

Reminds me of a game a couple years ago when I had tickets for pricier and "better seats" in a shady spot, but wanted to sit with everyone else in Sec 19. They would not let me down the GA entrance, I kid you not. "You can't sit here." It was another classic example of the common sense that rules Duke athletics. (I had to go through another section's entrance and hike my way over through the multitude of empty seats to get to my friends.)

jimsumner
09-17-2017, 06:30 PM
And half of those yards came on a fluke play by NCCU.

Just curious, but why was it a fluke play?

Their fastest back got open and outran Duke's defense.

Looked legit to me.

chrishoke
09-17-2017, 07:03 PM

Looked legit to me.

Yep, as I recall it was a simple dive play.

Papa John
09-17-2017, 07:27 PM

I had to record the game and watch it later. I wasn't too worried by anything I saw. Agree with Logan's assessment of spotty line play, but Baylor has solid athletes in the front 7 on D. I thought Jones had a forgetful performance... a number of incompletions were the fault of his receivers, who couldn't seem to catch the ball consistently. That said, at least two of the sacks were the fault of Jones deciding to hold onto the ball way too long rather than get rid of it or tuck it and run. The defense played solid for the most part. The secondary had a couple of major miscues that resulted in big plays, but I think they'll get that cleaned up. I know the athletes say the right things during interviews about focusing on each game, yada yada, but I do think we showed signs of a slight emotional valley between a big win against Northwestern (which has been a thorn in our side for a few years) and an upcoming rivalry matchup against the Cheaters on the hill. I think we'll come out with passion against UNC, and am confident that Cut and company will clean up the little messes we saw this week.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-17-2017, 09:16 PM
Easy on Lisle. He was really good in the Northwestern game. Even I saw it. As I understand it, Baylor changed up their defenses from their previous games and Duke was unprepared for that and didn't adjust well. It is true that our right side was attacked, but I suspect there was unexpected stunting (which I am incapable of seeing in real time) which Coach Knowles couldn't fix on the fly. Lisle is a load, but I agree that it is also possible that he didn't adjust if told to do so. Despite that, I'm betting we see a resumption of his Northwestern excellence against the Cheats.

In addition, it appears that the Baylor defensive adjustments caused Jones some trouble as he saw unexpected alignments and wasn't always able to change to an appropriate play.

So our offensive shortcomings are likely to Baylor's credit. That we won anyway is a credit to our team's effort. We'll learn from it.

I think that sometimes fans consider a game or plays to be poor because we don't know the backstory to the action on the field. Jim3k, you are exactly right regarding what Duke prepared for and what Baylor did. It was a brilliant and effective game plan. Coach Cutcliffe spoke about that matter in a post game interview. He also noted that although Daniel did make some errors or poor choices, that overall he did pretty well in eventually making adjustments to surprise formations.

At the end of the game, what's most important is that Duke made adjustments, kept playing until the whistle blew, and found a way to win in double digits.

IsInTheDetails
09-17-2017, 11:05 PM

Looked legit to me.

Sorry, poor wording on my part. Legit, normal play by NCCU. Fluke of a whiff by Duke's D, given everything else we saw that day.

In any case -- and half those yards came on a single play from NCCU. We've given up less than 100 yards otherwise. For the season.

budwom
09-18-2017, 08:01 AM
random caffeinated thoughts:
1) stats this early in the season mean zip...wonderful being 3-0, but the Baylor game showed we have a lot of work to do on the OL, receivers, etc.
2) sun: Having relocated to the West side from the sunny East after 32 years, I noted some guy's post (a knowledgeable out of town hoop coach) that he and his family had to leave
because the heat got to them....yeah, probably could have been better prepared, but many casual fans simply don't want to deal with big september noon sun.
3) On the west side, I can speak to the fact that around us there are a lot of seats owned by loyal Iron Dukes who live far away, don't make lots of the games...hence empty seats...they've
bought season tickets for years to support the program, and would come if they lived a lot closer. Yes, they could be returned for sale to Duke, but don't think the demand is there (yet).

SharkD
09-18-2017, 01:18 PM
random caffeinated thoughts:
2) sun: Having relocated to the West side from the sunny East after 32 years, I noted some guy's post (a knowledgeable out of town hoop coach) that he and his family had to leave
because the heat got to them...yeah, probably could have been better prepared, but many casual fans simply don't want to deal with big september noon sun.

I'm curious how someone could be better prepared, as we're no longer allowed to bring bags (especially fun, with young kids in-tow) and umbrellas/parasols are verboten? I was, admittedly impressed that they had misting tents and free (small cups of) water, (as well as sunscreen at the entrance to the Card lot), but it's still changing the fact that you'll broil in the typical September sun.

Granted, this wasn't hell that was the 2008 Navy game (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?11177-Duke-41-Navy-31&p=192705#post192705), (back then we could bring bags, which may or may not have contained contraband H20) but it was hot enough that my 5 year old demanded we abandon our Section 9 seats midway through the third, despite multiple bottles of water, trips to the misting tent and a pouch of ice cream.

Indoor66
09-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Football in the sun at Wade is not fun; it is torture.

killerleft
09-18-2017, 04:39 PM
A couple of reasons. First, I like the end zone view. As I stated earlier in the thread, I sat there as a kid and I still sit there. Second, the General Admission season tickets I purchased authorize me and my family to sit in Section 19. Perhaps it is the 30 years I spent on active duty in the military which motivates me to follow the rules.

Since you like the end zone, this isn't for you, Bob. But for others who may not be aware, the general admission section now extends through half of Section 22. That gets you a side view that almost lines up with the back line of the end zone. The old student sections, I believe.

martydoesntfoul
09-18-2017, 05:41 PM
I don't know which is worse: poor tackle play, or inability to adjust in-game to a freshman dominated team with multiple new starters and a new coach. Typically in-game adjustments have been our strength. Hoping this is a one-off based on underestimating our foe...

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2017, 06:19 PM
I don't know which is worse: poor tackle play, or inability to adjust in-game to a freshman dominated team with multiple new starters and a new coach. Typically in-game adjustments have been our strength. Hoping this is a one-off based on underestimating our foe...

I don't get this. We faced a classic "trap game", and then on top of it, faced basically a different team than the coaches saw on tape due to Baylor's personnel changes. What did Duke do? They coughed up the ball, got scored on, and then said We Are Duke for the rest of the game.
In the process of scoring a lot of touchdowns over a fast and talented team (coaching aside, the guys we faced were recruited while Baylor impressed the masses), Daniel Jones had a bad day...and we still won handily. We could have (should have) won more handily, but given the circumstances, I really liked what I saw.
Lots for the team to look at in the video room (Cut talked about how excited he was to see the tape during his presser), and lots to learn from. Also...lots to be proud about and look forward to.
That game was one that Old Duke would have walked away from with a loss, and it was a definitive win.

martydoesntfoul
09-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Don't get me wrong: winning on a down day was GREAT and indicative of how far the program has come. Having said that, it was a whole lot more than personnel changes. The coaches described exotic blitzes and different looks--difficult one would think to install in a week for an experienced team, let alone a young one. I'm not questioning Baylor's talent, but if a superior team gets us similarly flummoxed, it could make for a long afternoon.

CameronBornAndBred
09-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Baylor lost to 3rd place Oklahoma 49-41. That says more for our victory...maybe the Bears ain't as bad as advertised.

ipatent
09-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Baylor lost to 3rd place Oklahoma 49-41. That says more for our victory...maybe the Bears ain't as bad as advertised.

It makes our defense look pretty good. Baylor will likely pull a few surprises before the season's end.

budwom
09-24-2017, 02:57 PM
I'm curious how someone could be better prepared, as we're no longer allowed to bring bags (especially fun, with young kids in-tow) and umbrellas/parasols are verboten? I was, admittedly impressed that they had misting tents and free (small cups of) water, (as well as sunscreen at the entrance to the Card lot), but it's still changing the fact that you'll broil in the typical September sun.

Granted, this wasn't hell that was the 2008 Navy game (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?11177-Duke-41-Navy-31&p=192705#post192705), (back then we could bring bags, which may or may not have contained contraband H20) but it was hot enough that my 5 year old demanded we abandon our Section 9 seats midway through the third, despite multiple bottles of water, trips to the misting tent and a pouch of ice cream.

Ha, didn't see this til today. Easy answer: hats, sunscreen, be ready to buy lots of bottled water. I've seen countless people burn themselves and their children over the years...

jimsumner
09-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Hopefully, sunburn won't be an issue for the Miami game. :)

budwom
09-24-2017, 04:33 PM
Hopefully, sunburn won't be an issue for the Miami game. :)

I love September evening games!!

sagegrouse
09-24-2017, 06:09 PM
I love September evening games!!

Basically, the TV agreement is killing Duke home football games. When I was at Rice (back in the SWC days), there were no day games until November. At The Citadel, in Charleston, there were no day games until October.

Mid-day games in September are just plain nuts.

I suppose one answer is to become a top ten team and get the prime-time TV slots.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Basically, the TV agreement is killing Duke home football games. When I was at Rice (back in the SWC days), there were no day games until November. At The Citadel, in Charleston, there were no day games until October.

I suppose one answer is to become a top ten team and get the prime-time TV slots.

I was in Athens yesterday for a 7 pm start. Dawg fans have been I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about all their games starting at night, because it makes travel a pain in the rump. And even though I am not far from Athens, I didn't get home until well after all the West Coast games had ended.

Nothing is perfect. I would like to think our turnout would be much improved if the games did not start at noon. I am, however, skeptical.

jimsumner
09-24-2017, 07:17 PM

They aren't nuts if you're sitting in your air-conditioned home, with a cold one on one side and the remote on the other.

Which is paying the bills.

It's a Catch-22 Faustian Bargain. The only way to keep up with the arms race is the TV money that led to the arms race in the first place.

-jk
09-24-2017, 08:30 PM

C'mon - they lit up WW years after us...

-jk

YmoBeThere
09-24-2017, 08:50 PM
Nothing is perfect. I would like to think our turnout would be much improved if the games did not start at noon. I am, however, skeptical.

If our games were closer to San Antonio, I would attend. I've been able to catch us in the Sun Bowl and the Sweet Sixteen in Houston. The former had a mid-day start time, but it was December.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 09:02 PM
If our games were closer to San Antonio, I would attend. I've been able to catch us in the Sun Bowl and the Sweet Sixteen in Houston. The former had a mid-day start time, but it was December.

Sun Bowl was a great experience for me, other than the tattoo that gave me Hep D in Juarez.

Jim3k
09-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Sun Bowl was a great experience for me, other than the tattoo that gave me Hep D in Juarez.

So. You're saying it was hep you contracted in Juarez. AahHaHaHa!!! Hep??? That's a good one. ROFLMAO. HaHaHa, HeeHeeHee!!!

Oh...Just kidding. AahHaHaHa!!! HaHaHa, HeeHeeHee!!!

Aww...Too easy!

OldPhiKap
09-24-2017, 09:29 PM
So. You're saying it was hep you contracted in Juarez. AahHaHaHa!!! Hep??? That's a good one. ROFLMAO. HaHaHa, HeeHeeHee!!!

Oh...Just kidding. AahHaHaHa!!! HaHaHa, HeeHeeHee!!!

Aww...Too easy!

I would laugh, except a side effect of Hep D is a loss of humor. As my posts since the Sun Bowl have painfully illustrated.