PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Mike Buckmire!

mattman91
09-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Someone in the cinder block thread asked about a mystery player in some Duke Blue Planet photos...I think this is the guy.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211666327

A freshman walk on guard from PA.

Averaged 22.1 points, 6.1 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game as a senior, serving as team captain
• A third-team all-state and first-team All-Friends School League selection in 2017

Cool fun fact, his dad was a member of the '86 Duke NCAA championship soccer team.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Someone in the cinder block thread asked about a mystery player in some Duke Blue Planet photos...I think this is the guy.

Cool fun fact, his dad was a member of the '86 Duke NCAA championship soccer team.

Must spread comments.

Well played, sir.

mattman91
09-08-2017, 10:48 PM
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4890409/58fc14bcff0c6e2280f9c100?vpa=1&utm_expid=159232322-86.JA2ExsiwQ2aQHhj9vX_VjA.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fscout.com%2Fcollege%2Fdu ke%2FBoard%2F102689%2FContents%2FNew-Walkon-107116318

A highlight video.

moonpie23
09-08-2017, 10:55 PM
welcome to the party, pal!!!!!

Rich
09-08-2017, 11:11 PM

Ha, very cool...his dad lived in my dorm (House CC) and graduated in 1987. He was a good friend and a helluva athlete. Very good basketball player in his own right.

Rich
09-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Ha, very cool...his dad lived in my dorm (House CC) and graduated in 1987. He was a good friend and a helluva athlete. Very good basketball player in his own right.

Here's a photo of that 1986 Duke Soccer team which, I believe, was Duke's first national championship team. Bucks is standing, third from right, #25. A quick search of the internet shows he's now a well-renowned colon and rectal surgeon in Arizona. Oh, and the two boneheads in the stands photo bombing also lived in House CC. :rolleyes:

cato
09-09-2017, 02:18 AM
'86 Duke NCAA championship

Finally!

soccer

Ah, yes.

Doria
09-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Nice, welcome aboard!

dukelifer
09-09-2017, 06:43 AM
Here's a photo of that 1986 Duke Soccer team which, I believe, was Duke's first national championship team. Bucks is standing, third from right, #25. A quick search of the internet shows he's now a well-renowned colon and rectal surgeon in Arizona. Oh, and the two boneheads in the stands photo bombing also lived in House CC. :rolleyes:

Speaking of 86, his game/movement on the floor reminds me of Johnny Dawkins.

SupaDave
09-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Just wanted to bump this b/c this kid got lost in the sauce. I totally missed it! And he just had a birthday!

Here's a great link on the kid...

https://balldurham.com/2017/09/12/duke-basketball-blue-devils-quietly-added-eighth-player-freshman-class/

Reminds me of Nolan...

OldPhiKap
09-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Speaking of 86, his game/movement on the floor reminds me of Johnny Dawkins.

I think I saw on Twitter that today is JD's birthday. My all-time favorite.

BandAlum83
09-29-2017, 09:58 AM

I do believe there is disproportionate House CC representation on these boards.

I was a four year resident.

DukieInBrasil
10-01-2017, 09:34 AM
I like that Duke is looking to add players in this (or any) class now that we're in the OAD era that will beyond a doubt be at Duke for several years. We've got Bagley, Carter and Duval who all project to be OAD, although there is some sort of possibility that one or more of them stay 2 years. That seems like a remote possibility, but injuries or other unforeseen circumstances could muddle the picture. Trent Jr. could possibly be a OAD but his HS ranking leaves him right on the theoretical borderline of what the experts think of his potential as a OAD player, so getting 2 or 3 years from him seems somewhat likely. O'Connell doesn't project to be a OAD player, but like Dunleavy, after his body fills out his skill level could take him to the pros before his Sr year. Honestly though, he may also be a 4-yr player, or he may want a bigger stage for himself a la Alex Murphy or M Gbinije.
So Duke went aggressively for upper-end talent, all of whom have the potential to not remain at Duke until they graduate.
But Duke also made sure they got kids who have good talent, and got offers from D1 schools, but don't project to leave Duke before their Sr year. The Jordans (Tucker and Goldwire) project to have different impacts on the program, but will likely be contributing much more their upperclassman years than this year. Add Buckmire to that mix and you've got another guy who projects to add lots of intangible contributions to the team and program, many of which will never show up in the box score.
To be sure, J-Tuck is much more likely to see the floor this year, and may actually garner significant PT. J-Gold may well red-shirt. However, the true impact of these 3 guys is most likely to show up 2 or 3 years down the road, even if that impact isn't on the court under the constant, piercing gaze of the lidless eye, wreathed in flame, oh, uh, er, sorry, TV cameras.
IOW, i'm glad Duke won't be getting stuck in a situation like 2005, when we had 2 recruits we were expecting to build around, but OOPS! one of them was so damn good that he left after his Fr. year (Deng).

Kedsy
10-01-2017, 12:04 PM
I like that Duke is looking to add players in this (or any) class now that we're in the OAD era that will beyond a doubt be at Duke for several years. We've got Bagley, Carter and Duval who all project to be OAD, although there is some sort of possibility that one or more of them stay 2 years. That seems like a remote possibility, but injuries or other unforeseen circumstances could muddle the picture. Trent Jr. could possibly be a OAD but his HS ranking leaves him right on the theoretical borderline of what the experts think of his potential as a OAD player, so getting 2 or 3 years from him seems somewhat likely. O'Connell doesn't project to be a OAD player, but like Dunleavy, after his body fills out his skill level could take him to the pros before his Sr year. Honestly though, he may also be a 4-yr player, or he may want a bigger stage for himself a la Alex Murphy or M Gbinije.
So Duke went aggressively for upper-end talent, all of whom have the potential to not remain at Duke until they graduate.
But Duke also made sure they got kids who have good talent, and got offers from D1 schools, but don't project to leave Duke before their Sr year. The Jordans (Tucker and Goldwire) project to have different impacts on the program, but will likely be contributing much more their upperclassman years than this year. Add Buckmire to that mix and you've got another guy who projects to add lots of intangible contributions to the team and program, many of which will never show up in the box score.
To be sure, J-Tuck is much more likely to see the floor this year, and may actually garner significant PT. J-Gold may well red-shirt. However, the true impact of these 3 guys is most likely to show up 2 or 3 years down the road, even if that impact isn't on the court under the constant, piercing gaze of the lidless eye, wreathed in flame, oh, uh, er, sorry, TV cameras.
IOW, i'm glad Duke won't be getting stuck in a situation like 2005, when we had 2 recruits we were expecting to build around, but OOPS! one of them was so damn good that he left after his Fr. year (Deng).

To respond to your observations in no particular order:

-- From everything I read, Gary Trent expects to be one-and-done. It's possible he stays two or three years, as you suggest, but it is FAR from "likely."

-- Jordan Goldwire and Michael Buckmire are likely to be nothing more than four-year practice players. That's obviously a valuable thing to have, but expecting either of them to contribute significantly more than Justin Robinson is stretching it, though I guess it's possible that Jordan G could be a 7th or 8th man by his senior year.

-- Jordan Tucker (#59 RSCI) was considered out of high school to be a slightly better player than Alex O'Connell (#69), or at least equivalent. Not sure why you think Alex might be gone early but Jordan T will be a four-year intangible contributor.

-- Also, comparing Alex at #69 to Mike Dunleavy, who was #26 coming out of high school (BIG difference) and then grew three inches while at Duke (BIGGER difference), is a bit crazy. Maybe if Alex miraculously becomes 6'9" 220, as Dunleavy did, he can get drafted, but if he just fills out his frame, at his current height and his high school ranking he's a longshot for an NBA career at all, much less an early entry.

-- Deng was a freshman in 2003-04, and was our only recruited scholarship freshman. Our other recruit that season, Kris Humphries, never showed up at all, but was expected to be one-and-done, so I don't think we ever expected to build around him.

DukieInBrasil
10-01-2017, 07:54 PM
To respond to your observations in no particular order:

-- From everything I read, Gary Trent expects to be one-and-done. It's possible he stays two or three years, as you suggest, but it is FAR from "likely."

-- Jordan Goldwire and Michael Buckmire are likely to be nothing more than four-year practice players. That's obviously a valuable thing to have, but expecting either of them to contribute significantly more than Justin Robinson is stretching it, though I guess it's possible that Jordan G could be a 7th or 8th man by his senior year.

-- Jordan Tucker (#59 RSCI) was considered out of high school to be a slightly better player than Alex O'Connell (#69), or at least equivalent. Not sure why you think Alex might be gone early but Jordan T will be a four-year intangible contributor.

-- Also, comparing Alex at #69 to Mike Dunleavy, who was #26 coming out of high school (BIG difference) and then grew three inches while at Duke (BIGGER difference), is a bit crazy. Maybe if Alex miraculously becomes 6'9" 220, as Dunleavy did, he can get drafted, but if he just fills out his frame, at his current height and his high school ranking he's a longshot for an NBA career at all, much less an early entry.

-- Deng was a freshman in 2003-04, and was our only recruited scholarship freshman. Our other recruit that season, Kris Humphries, never showed up at all, but was expected to be one-and-done, so I don't think we ever expected to build around him.

Hence the "somewhat likely", which ranges from "not likely at all" to "likely".
Your observation about J-Gold and Buckmire is pretty much what i said, so thanks for validating that. And please point out to me where i made any mention of Justin Robinson.
#59 vs #69, so you're right J-Tuck is higher rated. My observation was entirely based on the reports that O'Connell has lots of skill and that his physique seems to be what is limiting his game at the moment. Also, "could", not "will". But yes, he, as Tucker, are longshots for the pros.
Yes, Deng came in the 2003-4 year, and then when he left, the 2004-5 team, which i shorthanded to 2005 b/c that is when the tournament is, had nothing. I don't remember people talking about Deng as a OAD prior to him arriving at Duke, but certainly well into the season he was generating that vibe. I mistakenly tranposed Demarcus into that class to give it 2. But the point remains, we didn't have any players from that year's class to build around and our recruiting strategy now will help eliminate that possibility.
So whether anything i pointed out originally happens or not, my point was that i am pleased that our recruiting strategy is landing players that will be helpful in the short term, mid term and long term.

Kedsy
10-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Hence the "somewhat likely", which ranges from "not likely at all" to "likely".

Semantics, perhaps, but I would under no circumstances equate "somewhat likely" with "not likely at all," which is how I would classify Gary Trent's chances of staying "2 or 3 years."

Your observation about J-Gold and Buckmire is pretty much what i said, so thanks for validating that. And please point out to me where i made any mention of Justin Robinson.

You didn't mention Justin Robinson. I did. You said Jordan Goldwire and Mike Buckmire "project to add lots of intangible contributions to the team and program" and "the true impact of these 3 guys is most likely to show up 2 or 3 years down the road." I said that these guys weren't going to have much if any more impact than Justin. If you think your two quotes would apply to Justin Robinson, then my point is superfluous. If you don't think that, then that's why I brought him up.

#59 vs #69, so you're right J-Tuck is higher rated. My observation was entirely based on the reports that O'Connell has lots of skill and that his physique seems to be what is limiting his game at the moment. Also, "could", not "will". But yes, he, as Tucker, are longshots for the pros.

OK. I just don't think it's reasonable to compare Alex to Mike D, except to say they were both skinny white kids who were 6'6" when they graduated high school.

Yes, Deng came in the 2003-4 year, and then when he left, the 2004-5 team, which i shorthanded to 2005 b/c that is when the tournament is, had nothing. I don't remember people talking about Deng as a OAD prior to him arriving at Duke, but certainly well into the season he was generating that vibe. I mistakenly tranposed Demarcus into that class to give it 2. But the point remains, we didn't have any players from that year's class to build around and our recruiting strategy now will help eliminate that possibility.
So whether anything i pointed out originally happens or not, my point was that i am pleased that our recruiting strategy is landing players that will be helpful in the short term, mid term and long term.

Yeah, back then Coach K's recruiting strategy was to have big classes every few years (1997, 1999, 2002, 2006) and just fill in with one or two recruits in between. These days, because of the one-and-done thing, it seems he needs big classes every year.

Also, the 2004-05 team had six players who were top 30 out of high school and went into the NCAA tournament ranked #3 in the country. I'd hardly classify that as having "nothing."

jimsumner
10-01-2017, 10:48 PM
The 2005 team was a what-might-have been partly because Deng could have been a sophomore on that team but also because Shaun Livingston could have been a freshman. Livingston signed with Duke but opted to go directly to the NBA, the only such player during the era when players could go directly from high school to the NBA.

Deng's absence and Shavlik Randolph's mono forced Duke into using Lee Melchionni at the 4, not really the best usage of his talents.

And Livingston was going to replace Duhon at point guard. In his absence, Duke was forced to use natural shooting guard Daniel Ewing at the point.

So, a talented team to be sure. But not one whose parts meshed fully.

And, fwiw, Duke expected three years out of Deng, the consensus number two player in his class.

Those were the days.

devildeac
10-01-2017, 11:14 PM
The 2005 team was a what-might-have been partly because Deng could have been a sophomore on that team but also because Shaun Livingston could have been a freshman. Livingston signed with Duke but opted to go directly to the NBA, the only such player during the era when players could go directly from high school to the NBA.

Deng's absence and Shavlik Randolph's mono forced Duke into using Lee Melchionni at the 4, not really the best usage of his talents.

And Livingston was going to replace Duhon at point guard. In his absence, Duke was forced to use natural shooting guard Daniel Ewing at the point.

So, a talented team to be sure. But not one whose parts meshed fully.

And, fwiw, Duke expected three years out of Deng, the consensus number two player in his class.

Those were the days.

Yep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

BD80
10-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Yep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

She goes to Austin Powers' dentist. "Yeah baby!"