PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #81 - The Schedule is here and Cameron Reddish is coming!

JasonEvans
09-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Check it out here: https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-81-the-schedule-is-here

0:00 Welcome to the pod. We become sidetracked by Donald’s professional sports woes.
2:45 Getting down to business, time to dissect the just released hoops schedule. Jason talks about playing BC early and he says Duke’s ACC sked is about as easy as we could hope.
7:30 Donald has a look at when Duke has a quick turnaround between games, and again, the schedule seems favorable.
11:50 Sam also looks at the timing between games and likes what he sees, especially the time off surrounding the Carolina games.
18:15 Jason goes back to the non-conference schedule and says be on the lookout for Furman… and he laments our lousy matchup in the Big Ten Challenge.
20:25 New topic: Another stud recruit is headed to Durham. Jason breaks down Cameron Reddish’s game and compares him to a couple Duke greats from history.
24:00 Jason and Donald both think it says something about Kentucky that Duke got a guy John Calipari really, really wanted.
31:00 New topic: The NCAA’s proposed transfer change would really change the college sports landscape. Donald has a lot of concerns about how coaches could use and abuse this new rule.
35:30 Sam sees some positives. He thinks this will make coaches treat players better.
39:25 Jason talks about Coach K’s reaction to this proposed rule and how it could impact Duke… and we reflect on Duke’s history to see how this rule would have changed Duke’s history.
48:15 New topic: Previewing the Northwestern Football game. Donald starts by reflecting on the NC Central game.
52:00 Sam gives us a breakdown of who to watch out for on Northwestern.
54:05 Jason says watch Britton Brown, a rising star for the Blue Devils.
56:10 New topic: The Podcast enters the advertising era… don’t worry, it won’t change things. Email us at DBRPodcast@gmail.com if you want details about reaching thousands of rabid Duke fans.
1:01:50 Parting Shot – Jason says to check out the article about Antonio Vrankovic’s summer.
1:03:50 Parting Shot – Donald sends best wishes to Florida as it braces for Hurricane Irma.
1:06:00 Good bye and Duke band!

BandAlum83
09-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Before I listened to this podcast I thought to myself that you guys get no compensation at all for your efforts. Then I heard your announcement. I say go for it!

You put an amazing amount of time, effort and preparation into each broadcast. This isn't just an hour a week of three guys shooting the breeze. You deserve even meager compensation. I certainly wouldn't mind a 30 second ad in between sections where the duke band plays.

Furniture
09-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Very nice podcast. I am one of your newer recruits. I have only two or three. I'm hooked! You are now No.1 on my 'cut the grass' play list!

UrinalCake
09-09-2017, 09:29 PM
When discussing the proposed change in the transfer rule, I'm glad you pointed out the stipulation that there will be a GPA requirement in order for players to be allowed to transfer without penalty. That got me thinking, as we're considering the potential fallout and unintended consequences of this rule, that this could be a really bad idea. Because now we have a situation where coaches have an incentive for players to NOT do well in the classroom. Hear me out - let's say a star player is unhappy, and his GPA is right on the border of being eligible to transfer. Would a nefarious coach be inclined to schedule an extra practice right before the player's final exam so that his grades drop and he is unable to transfer? Or could we see a "reverse UNC" scenario where players are steered into HARDER classes (and away from AFAM) so that their grades stay low? I know this sounds far-fetched, but as you discussed there are a lot of dominos that could fall if this rule were enacted.

Here's another potential consequence: let's say you're the coach at Long Beach State or Elon or Davidson and you've got a pretty nice player on your team. Do you still want to schedule a game in Cameron? Wouldn't you be worried that your star player could go off for 30 in a blowout loss, get a taste for playing in front of a raucous home crowd, and catch the eye of the opposing team's coaching staff? As fans we've had plenty of moments where we've said about an opposing player "man, he looks good, I wish we had recruited him." If this transfer rule passes then that could actually happen. So maybe after this rule passes, Duke and other high major programs have a harder time scheduling quality opponents to come into their building.

Dev11
09-09-2017, 09:53 PM
When discussing the proposed change in the transfer rule, I'm glad you pointed out the stipulation that there will be a GPA requirement in order for players to be allowed to transfer without penalty. That got me thinking, as we're considering the potential fallout and unintended consequences of this rule, that this could be a really bad idea. Because now we have a situation where coaches have an incentive for players to NOT do well in the classroom. Hear me out - let's say a star player is unhappy, and his GPA is right on the border of being eligible to transfer. Would a nefarious coach be inclined to schedule an extra practice right before the player's final exam so that his grades drop and he is unable to transfer? Or could we see a "reverse UNC" scenario where players are steered into HARDER classes (and away from AFAM) so that their grades stay low? I know this sounds far-fetched, but as you discussed there are a lot of dominos that could fall if this rule were enacted.

Basketball season ends in March or early April for a select few, so at worst you still have a month to salvage that B. I think there are a lot of potential pitfalls for this change, but this scenario is unlikely to be the big problem. It's a good thought, too, particularly given how much some players have to lean on the support staff for academic help.

DukeDevil
09-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Jason/Sam/Donald:
Granted I don't know much about the details of it with regards to what their take is, but have you guys thought about starting a patreon? I know plenty of podcasters/webcomics/youtubers who get support from their fans that way. Allows people to "sponsor" episodes or even sign up for a recurrent payment for every episode you put out.

Just my 2 cents. Which is currently more than I've donated to your cause, but I know I'd be willing to actually chip in, given how much I look forward to every podcast!

**Edit** I see this came up in the advertising post you guys already had. Regardless, still think plenty of people would be willing to chip in. We're certainly too lazy and our analysis is too crummy to have our own podcasts, which is why we listen to you guys (not that your analysis is much better, but you at least back up your analysis with some research! :rolleyes:)

JasonEvans
09-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Jason/Sam/Donald:
Granted I don't know much about the details of it with regards to what their take is, but have you guys thought about starting a patreon? I know plenty of podcasters/webcomics/youtubers who get support from their fans that way. Allows people to "sponsor" episodes or even sign up for a recurrent payment for every episode you put out.

Just my 2 cents. Which is currently more than I've donated to your cause, but I know I'd be willing to actually chip in, given how much I look forward to every podcast!

**Edit** I see this came up in the advertising post you guys already had. Regardless, still think plenty of people would be willing to chip in. We're certainly too lazy and our analysis is too crummy to have our own podcasts, which is why we listen to you guys (not that your analysis is much better, but you at least back up your analysis with some research! :rolleyes:)

We are accepting individual sponsorships/contributions. Email us at DBRPodcast@gmail-dot-com to chat about it. We already have one person who has stepped up to sponsor our very next pod!

We do need to look into Patreon. I know many podcasts and other creative efforts have had wonderful success with it.

JasonEvans
09-11-2017, 12:08 PM
let's say a star player is unhappy, and his GPA is right on the border of being eligible to transfer. Would a nefarious coach be inclined to schedule an extra practice right before the player's final exam so that his grades drop and he is unable to transfer? Or could we see a "reverse UNC" scenario where players are steered into HARDER classes (and away from AFAM) so that their grades stay low? I know this sounds far-fetched, but as you discussed there are a lot of dominos that could fall if this rule were enacted.

Well, the real "reverse UNC" scenario is also possible.

"Hey Debbie, we need xxxxxxxxxxxx to get a B+ or better but we need zzzzzzzzzz to get a C- or worse."