PDA

View Full Version : Vrank's home

JasonEvans
09-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Really nice article and photo essay (https://dukeblueplanet.exposure.co/the-place-i-call-home) about Vrank's summer in Croatia with the national team on Duke Blue Planet. I know there is stiff competition this season, but I expect Vrank will learn a lot in practice and when he is called upon -- this year or next -- he will provide quality minutes.

https://exposure.imgix.net/production/photos/b3axk07svjpe2x9m0s9a9jhosmjuiuk05pud/original.jpg

-Jason "keep working, young man!" Evans

BD80
09-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Really nice article and photo essay (https://dukeblueplanet.exposure.co/the-place-i-call-home) about Vrank's summer in Croatia with the national team on Duke Blue Planet. I know there is stiff competition this season, but I expect Vrank will learn a lot in practice and when he is called upon -- this year or next -- he will provide quality minutes.

https://exposure.imgix.net/production/photos/b3axk07svjpe2x9m0s9a9jhosmjuiuk05pud/original.jpg

-Jason "keep working, young man!" Evans

That's more work than all of the unc players will put into their academics combined!

mattman91
09-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Vrank will be a leader this year, even if he doesn't log lots of minutes.

Next year we will probably rely heavily on him on the court.

gep
09-06-2017, 04:03 AM
Just like Marshall.

johnb
09-06-2017, 11:49 PM
One reason it's fun to follow the team is that such a high percentage of our players are really interesting people. It's one of the downsides of the one and done era. Some of the great guys hardly check in before they disappear. This photo essay is a great example. Vranc might fit the sort of athlete who I might never meet in real life, but, aside from being an enormously large human, he's got a strong personality, is smart, and is effortful. I'm hoping his 2019 tip-in wins a national championship.

Having said that, there are a lot of similarly awesome players at places like UNC and Kentucky. We offered a lot of their players, and I'm guessing that if they had enrolled at Duke, we'd have backed them. When I criticize those other programs, I am criticizing their coaches and administrators, who are folks who are often sheep who have lost their moral compass. I'm happy to criticize adults for well-considered errors. But I'm loathe to dismiss teenagers. For example, if I were a Carolina basketball player who spent 40+ hours on the basketball team, and I had come to Carolina from a high school from which nobody ever was accepted into a Carolina (or a Duke), I'd have been happy to enroll in a bogus college course. The moral failing is the faculty and administrators who orchestrated the courses, not the kids who scoped out the system's weakness,

JasonEvans
09-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Having said that, there are a lot of similarly awesome players at places like UNC and Kentucky. We offered a lot of their players, and I'm guessing that if they had enrolled at Duke, we'd have backed them. When I criticize those other programs, I am criticizing their coaches and administrators, who are folks who are often sheep who have lost their moral compass. I'm happy to criticize adults for well-considered errors. But I'm loathe to dismiss teenagers. For example, if I were a Carolina basketball player who spent 40+ hours on the basketball team, and I had come to Carolina from a high school from which nobody ever was accepted into a Carolina (or a Duke), I'd have been happy to enroll in a bogus college course. The moral failing is the faculty and administrators who orchestrated the courses, not the kids who scoped out the system's weakness,

Eloquently stated and 99.9% true!

But 0.01% are HWSNBN and I have no problem hating on the kid in that case.

-Jason "and we must always sanction any press conference joke made at the expense of Tony Parker... but your post is spot on for the most part" Evans

elvis14
09-08-2017, 01:52 PM
One reason it's fun to follow the team is that such a high percentage of our players are really interesting people. It's one of the downsides of the one and done era. Some of the great guys hardly check in before they disappear. This photo essay is a great example. Vranc might fit the sort of athlete who I might never meet in real life, but, aside from being an enormously large human, he's got a strong personality, is smart, and is effortful. I'm hoping his 2019 tip-in wins a national championship.

Since the cheating has become common knowledge, any kid choosing to go to UNCheat is choosing to go to a cheating, tarnished, diminished program and they know full well that the NCAA should hammer them. I can't give them the benefit of the doubt anymore. I hope they miss every shot they ever take at every level for ever and ever.