PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-5-17

jimsumner
09-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Okay, it gets serious this week.

Cut calls this the best Northwestern team he's faced at Duke.

Easy to dismiss as coach-speak. Except that the Wildcats have won three straight against Duke, including the last two seasons.

And I wish someone would nice things about me the way Cut says nice things about Pat Fitzgerald.

Cut expects it come down to the fourth quarter. Nothing surprising in the keys to winning. Number one is limiting big plays. Duke gave up three TDs last year, on passes of 26, 44 and 58 yards and their QB Clayton Thorson returns.

Bryon Fields on limiting explosives.

"It started on practice Sunday and practice today, making sure our communication is good, making sure we understand that they are going to do and making sure we understand what we're going to do to stop what they're going to do, understanding that we have to tackle a lot better and communicate a lot better on the back end. We're going to do what we're going to do. We understand that he [Thorson] is a great quarterback and he's going to make some plays. Our goal is to play assignment football, put pressure on him when we feel like we need to put pressure on him and challenge him. The more we challenge the receivers, you can be the greatest quarterback in the world but if your receivers aren't open, he's got nowhere to throw the ball."

Safety Alonzo Saxton blamed last year's lapses on "loss of focus. That's going to drive us to stay focused on every play."

Limit mistakes. Duke was penalized seven times for 62 yards against NW last season, went 5-17 on third down, 1-3 on fourth down, missed a PAT and a 34-yard field-goal.

Self-inflicted wounds, 101.

And that brings us to special teams. Cut noted that NW broke open a close game two years ago when they returned the second-half kickoff for a touchdown.

Duke worked a lot on punting today, some on place-kicks. They made all the kicks. In practice.

Austin Parker is still the number one PK but I get the feeling that any more missed PATs and that could change.

Cut would also like better placement on kick-offs.

Speaking of special teams, folks who have looked at the film think that the holding call on Saxton that negated T.J. Rahming's punt return for a score was a bit iffy.

Saxton was asked what happens when you come off the field after being called for a mistake like that.

"I didn't even know that was me until I was on the sideline. Coach Cut came over and talked and we settled things and we spent only a few seconds on it then we've still got a game to play, so I'm getting ready for the next series. "

Saxton also said that Duke had this one circled. "We have a good shot at winning but only if we prepare this week. If we do what we need to do, we'll win. If we don't, we won't. It's on us."

Johnathan Lloyd has taken over for Joe Ajeigbe as the lead blocker on kick-off-returns. Ageigbe was a robust 225, Lloyd a more modest 190.

How does he do it?

"I just have to play behind my pads. Guys come down there very fast and they're often very big guys, I've got to deliver a blow before they deliver a blow and open it up for Shaun and Brittain on the back end."

No reports of additional injuries of consequence. But I still wouldn't expect Quaven Ferguson back anytime soon.

devildeac
09-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Okay, it gets serious this week.

Cut calls this the best Northwestern team he's faced at Duke.

Easy to dismiss as coach-speak. Except that the Wildcats have won three straight against Duke, including the last two seasons.

And I wish someone would nice things about me the way Cut says nice things about Pat Fitzgerald.

Cut expects it come down to the fourth quarter. Nothing surprising in the keys to winning. Number one is limiting big plays. Duke gave up three TDs last year, on passes of 26, 44 and 58 yards and their QB Clayton Thorson returns.

Bryon Fields on limiting explosives.

"It started on practice Sunday and practice today, making sure our communication is good, making sure we understand that they are going to do and making sure we understand what we're going to do to stop what they're going to do, understanding that we have to tackle a lot better and communicate a lot better on the back end. We're going to do what we're going to do. We understand that he [Thorson] is a great quarterback and he's going to make some plays. Our goal is to play assignment football, put pressure on him when we feel like we need to put pressure on him and challenge him. The more we challenge the receivers, you can be the greatest quarterback in the world but if your receivers aren't open, he's got nowhere to throw the ball."

Safety Alonzo Saxton blamed last year's lapses on "loss of focus. That's going to drive us to stay focused on every play."

Limit mistakes. Duke was penalized seven times for 62 yards against NW last season, went 5-17 on third down, 1-3 on fourth down, missed a PAT and a 34-yard field-goal.

Self-inflicted wounds, 101.

And that brings us to special teams. Cut noted that NW broke open a close game two years ago when they returned the second-half kickoff for a touchdown.

Duke worked a lot on punting today, some on place-kicks. They made all the kicks. In practice.

Austin Parker is still the number one PK but I get the feeling that any more missed PATs and that could change.

Cut would also like better placement on kick-offs.

Speaking of special teams, folks who have looked at the film think that the holding call on Saxton that negated T.J. Rahming's punt return for a score was a bit iffy.

Saxton was asked what happens when you come off the field after being called for a mistake like that.

"I didn't even know that was me until I was on the sideline. Coach Cut came over and talked and we settled things and we spent only a few seconds on it then we've still got a game to play, so I'm getting ready for the next series. "

Saxton also said that Duke had this one circled. "We have a good shot at winning but only if we prepare this week. If we do what we need to do, we'll win. If we don't, we won't. It's on us."

Johnathan Lloyd has taken over for Joe Ajeigbe as the lead blocker on kick-off-returns. Ageigbe was a robust 225, Lloyd a more modest 190.

How does he do it?

"I just have to play behind my pads. Guys come down there very fast and they're often very big guys, I've got to deliver a blow before they deliver a blow and open it up for Shaun and Brittain on the back end."

No reports of additional injuries of consequence. But I still wouldn't expect Quaven Ferguson back anytime soon.

You didn't have any fumbles or INT last week. :o

Seriously, great report, as usual, sir. Thank you.

uh_no
09-05-2017, 03:40 PM

If someone asked me to choose between your insights and a fine bottle of scotch, I'd at least pause for a moment to think about it before choosing the scotch. :D

DukieInKansas
09-07-2017, 02:14 PM
I hear there has been an addition to the strength and conditioning staff. Any info available on that? Supposed to start on Monday.