PDA

View Full Version : College Football 2017 - Not Duke Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Really hoping UNC holds onto their deficit against Cal.
Maryland/Texas looking like the best early game. Tonight should be lots of fun as I flip channels.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Also, for any cord cutters out there, the ACC Sports app seems much improved this season.

brlftz
09-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Someone needs to explain targeting to me again. Can't for the life of me understand why this UM linebacker is still in the game.

Indoor66
09-02-2017, 04:09 PM
UnCheat held on and LOST to Cal 35-30. 😆😎

budwom
09-02-2017, 04:25 PM
watching the holes lose while simultaneously regarding a six point buck and a doe munching on apples in the backyard merits the looming cocktail hour.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Someone needs to explain targeting to me again. Can't for the life of me understand why this UM linebacker is still in the game.

Or the Florida player later on... Targeting, no foul?

Wander
09-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Michigan looks like it has the defense and kicking to be a playoff team... not sure if the offense is going to come around, though.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Can we get a PK like Michigan? First ever live game action. Has hit a 55yd and a 50yd, with two shorter FGs. Wow.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Michigan gave UF 14 pts on turnovers, missed 2 FGs, had a TD called back on a bad call, could be up 30. They are going to win a bunch if games.

AGDukesky
09-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Michigan gave UF 14 pts on turnovers, missed 2 FGs, had a TD called back on a bad call, could be up 30. They are going to win a bunch if games.

No doubt Michigan is a good team, but Florida suspended 10 players before the game including the starting RB and the star WR. Not to mention Florida's quarterback was starting his first game ever and is a redshirt freshman. This win doesn't really tell a lot about either team...

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 08:19 PM
UnCheat held on and LOST to Cal 35-30. ����

The 54 and 67 yard touchdown passes are worth seeing:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/video?gameId=400935256

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1v14NDguCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKpXTKSwZFg

loran16
09-02-2017, 10:07 PM
Baylor is down 10 to Liberty in the Fourth Quarter. Even if they pull this out, it suggests that game is very very winnable.

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Baylor is down 10 to Liberty in the Fourth Quarter. Even if they pull this out, it suggests that game is very very winnable.

Baylor down 10 with 6 minutes to go. On FS2. Baylor player just ejected for targetting (questionable call per commentators). Getting interesting.

uh_no
09-02-2017, 10:45 PM
FSU choking HARD vs bama.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2017, 10:47 PM
FSU choking HARD vs bama.

Implosion. I don't particularly like FSU, but this is going to make the conference look suspect all season if they don't at least make it interesting.

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Baylor game on FS2 still very interesting!

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 10:53 PM
And it Waco, it's Liberty!

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Vegas saw this Bama game coming. -7.5 point spread encouraged action on FSU. That was a big line for this game, and of course, not big enough. Vegas knew something.

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 11:20 PM
That is why Bama on our schedule in 2019 worries me.

I hope Francois is ok.

Wander
09-03-2017, 11:03 PM
So apparently, we had the biggest upset in college football history this weekend (by point spread). Howard was 45 point underdogs to UNLV and won. Previous record was Stanford over USC as 41 point underdogs in that 2007 season where basically every week had a giant upset.

A-Tex Devil
09-03-2017, 11:26 PM
1. Tom Herman's mistakes looked a lot like Charlie Strong's. Maybe it is the players/environment?

2. Glad to see Baylor get just desserts.

3. Tonight might have been the most Aggie thing I've ever seen.

budwom
09-04-2017, 08:01 AM
The problems at Texas are pretty amazing....gargantuan tradition, recruiting base, their own network, more money than god, and still they reek.
(I did hear Charlie Strong interviewed on the radio a few years ago on ESPN, and I'm not surprised he didn't do well, he was most unimpressive.)

OldPhiKap
09-04-2017, 08:57 AM
1. Tom Herman's mistakes looked a lot like Charlie Strong's. Maybe it is the players/environment?

2. Glad to see Baylor get just desserts.

3. Tonight might have been the most Aggie thing I've ever seen.

I'm pulling for TH, but I'm guessing he has a short rope.

The problems at Texas are pretty amazing...gargantuan tradition, recruiting base, their own network, more money than god, and still they reek.
(I did hear Charlie Strong interviewed on the radio a few years ago on ESPN, and I'm not surprised he didn't do well, he was most unimpressive.)

Sounds like a Notre Dame, when they turned sour twenty or so years ago.

Strong was a great defensive coordinator, and had a few impressive years at Louisville when they were still in the Big East. I was surprised to see him flail at Tejas.

ricks68
09-04-2017, 10:52 AM

You mean that he has been spending some "quality" time with one of the Board member's wives, too? (If that's the case, he better not plan on keeping the watch or the car either.😯)

ricks

A-Tex Devil
09-04-2017, 11:12 AM
You mean that he has been spending some "quality" time with one of the Board member's wives, too? (If that's the case, he better not plan on keeping the watch or the car either.😯)

ricks

Referring to Charlie Strong at Louisville? I'm not sure that was ever verified other than a jilted husband looking to go scorched earth.

I really really liked Charlie Strong. But he was simply too careless on game day to remain head coach. He's already having issues at SoFla.

Tom Herman was the easy answer at Texas but I'm still not sure he is everything he is cracked up to be. The douche/Stoops wannabe factor is high with him. A&M is going to similarly have an "easy" hire opportunity in Chad Morriss after they fire Sumlin. I'd be wary.

Ultimately there are like 8 coaches who have the juice/skins on the wall to survive even two bad seasons: Saban, Urban, Fisher, Swinney, Patterson, Harbaugh, Petersen, and, yes, Cutcliffe. If Herman doesn't work out at UT (and he'll get through next year, if not the following) it just shows that it's really all a lottery. I mean, who knew Swinney would win a Natty and Patterson would prove to be one of the best coaches in America?

A-Tex Devil
09-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Meant to add - saw a great tweet:

Texas: what an embarrassing opener

Baylor: Hold my beer....

Texas A&M: lolololololololololol..... you ain't seen nothing yet!

devildeac
09-04-2017, 12:49 PM

Baylor: Hold my beer...

Texas A&M: lolololololololololol.... you ain't seen nothing yet!

Nice find. Funny stuff.

Duke (FB) curse? :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
09-04-2017, 01:28 PM

Baylor: Hold my beer...

Texas A&M: lolololololololololol.... you ain't seen nothing yet!

Fair to say -- a rough week for the State of Texas on many fronts.

LasVegas
09-04-2017, 01:42 PM
$100 parlay on both wins for Howard and liberty would of netted $4.1 million. So there's that.

Olympic Fan
09-04-2017, 01:43 PM
That Texas A&M-UCLA game was amazing. I was trying to watch it, but I was also bouncing around between that and the VPI-WVU game and the Yankees-Red Sox. When it got to 44-10 in the fourth, I gave up and focused on the other two. I got to see a big Yankee win and a great game between two lower top 25 teams, but I totally missed the greatest comeback (or, if you want to look at it the other way, the greatest choke job) in college football history.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Thomas Sirk had a decent individual debut in the midst of a disastrous opener for Scottie Montgomery and ECU. He came off the bench late in the second quarter with ECU down 14-0 to James Madison and promptly engineered a TD drive. He accounted for both ECU scoring drives in a game where James Madison dominated. He threw for a little over 200 yards in a half of action.

Montgomery didn't say anything postgame, but Sirk has to be the starter this week.

Tom B.
09-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Uh oh...

Looks like it's time for 10,000 ESPN hot takes on the mental health of UNC receiver Austin Proehl:

https://twitter.com/TheBenSwain/status/904774760176988161

devildeac
09-04-2017, 03:36 PM
Uh oh...

Looks like it's time for 10,000 ESPN hot takes on the mental health of UNC receiver Austin Proehl:

https://twitter.com/TheBenSwain/status/904774760176988161

Odds of him being suspended for a game for trying to punch AND kick an opponent?

chrishoke
09-04-2017, 03:49 PM
That Texas A&M-UCLA game was amazing. I was trying to watch it, but I was also bouncing around between that and the VPI-WVU game and the Yankees-Red Sox. When it got to 44-10 in the fourth, I gave up and focused on the other two. I got to see a big Yankee win and a great game between two lower top 25 teams, but I totally missed the greatest comeback (or, if you want to look at it the other way, the greatest choke job) in college football history.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Thomas Sirk had a decent individual debut in the midst of a disastrous opener for Scottie Montgomery and ECU. He came off the bench late in the second quarter with ECU down 14-0 to James Madison and promptly engineered a TD drive. He accounted for both ECU scoring drives in a game where James Madison dominated. He threw for a little over 200 yards in a half of action.

Montgomery didn't say anything postgame, but Sirk has to be the starter this week.

Sirk has been named the starter for ECU's next game.

OldPhiKap
09-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Sirk has been named the starter for ECU's next game.

Go Thomas!!!

sagegrouse
09-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Referring to Charlie Strong at Louisville? I'm not sure that was ever verified other than a jilted husband looking to go scorched earth.

I really really liked Charlie Strong. But he was simply too careless on game day to remain head coach. He's already having issues at SoFla.

Tom Herman was the easy answer at Texas but I'm still not sure he is everything he is cracked up to be. The douche/Stoops wannabe factor is high with him. A&M is going to similarly have an "easy" hire opportunity in Chad Morriss after they fire Sumlin. I'd be wary.

Ultimately there are like 8 coaches who have the juice/skins on the wall to survive even two bad seasons: Saban, Urban, Fisher, Swinney, Patterson, Harbaugh, Petersen, and, yes, Cutcliffe. If Herman doesn't work out at UT (and he'll get through next year, if not the following) it just shows that it's really all a lottery. I mean, who knew Swinney would win a Natty and Patterson would prove to be one of the best coaches in America?

Lots of smoke in this divorce case (http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2016/02/25/blues-settle-divorce-without-coach-strong/80942198/).

Tom B.
09-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Odds of him being suspended for a game for trying to punch AND kick an opponent?

And then there was also this play, in which the UNC player DID get ejected:

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/North-Carolina-DL-ejected-for-targeting-QBs-head-106806131

OldPhiKap
09-04-2017, 07:59 PM

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/North-Carolina-DL-ejected-for-targeting-QBs-head-106806131

Dirty on the field, dirty off the field.

devildeac
09-04-2017, 10:19 PM

Targeting AND a late, late hit. Must have thought it was Thad Lewis at QB:mad:. Or was that Anthony Boone that got mugged repeatedly several years ago on multiple late/dirty hits:mad:.

rsvman
09-04-2017, 10:47 PM
BYU looking historically bad, at least on the offensive side of the ball. They were not crisp against Portland State in their opener, and in the game against LSU they had less than 100 yards total offense and never made it past midfield. Yikes.
No run game at all, no blocking to speak of. The quarterback is a good passer but has few targets, and the lack of a run game is really gonna hurt.
They don't look good at all. I bet they wish they had Bronco Mendenhall back at coach.

Olympic Fan
09-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Targeting AND a late, late hit. Must have thought it was Thad Lewis at QB:mad:. Or was that Anthony Boone that got mugged repeatedly several years ago on multiple late/dirty hits:mad:.

It was Thad Lewis his freshman year. But the opponent was Virginia Tech, which initiated the all-out assault on Lewis.

throatybeard
09-05-2017, 05:55 AM
The problems at Texas are pretty amazing...gargantuan tradition, recruiting base, their own network, more money than god, and still they reek.

It's absolutely beautiful. Karmic retribution for Texas officials and fans acting so astoundingly toxic that that they ran not one, not two, but four research universities out of the conference they call home. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.

devildeac
09-05-2017, 08:22 AM
It was Thad Lewis his freshman year. But the opponent was Virginia Tech, which initiated the all-out assault on Lewis.

You are correct and I remember that disgusting display of unsportsmanlike play by beamer and his thugs. However, I actually had this game in mind where I thought the assaults were equally brutal and included multiple late hits, with and without the ball, on Vernon and Varner, too. I think Devil in the Blue Dress and I, among others, believe that the cheaters could have been easily flagged for 5-10 more penalties and another 50-100 yards in addition to the 11/120 the refs actually whistled:mad:.

http://dynamic.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293110153

A-Tex Devil
09-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Tough loss for Tech last night. ACC had a tough first weekend against the SEC.

AustinDevil
09-05-2017, 12:59 PM

Baylor: Hold my [O'Doul's]...

Texas A&M: [SEC! SEC! SEC!]

FIFY

Also, totally agree with throaty's opinion of UT and their fans. For me, the best indicator coming out of Texas' loss to the Twerps was an indication that Herman hasn't at all fixed the locker room: UT players quoted in the Austin paper on Sunday dissing the fans and saying that they play for their teammates, not the fans. Herman inherited that attitude among the team, and it's going to go badly for him if he doesn't fix it now. (I hope he doesn't fix it!)

4Gen
09-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Three days ago Michael Jordan, who was scheduled to appear at the Louisville football game today in support of football, announced that because of Irma, he wouldn't make it due to flight scheduling problems. I give full attribution to a poster named bartholemew, who posted this on the IC Tar Pit football board, in response to Jordan's announcement:

Add "hurricane hitting Florida on Sunday" to the list of reasons why our football attendance in Kenan is down.

:D

loran16
09-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Baylor just lost to UTSA at Home.

Uhhhh I'm pretty sure Duke is gonna be favored by a bit next week.

A-Tex Devil
09-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Dropping this here as it's probably the best place.

This is fun (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/11/16287684/college-football-imperialism-map-2017).

Unfortunately, Baylor ceding territory to LIBERTY will prevent Duke's Southwestern land grab. But a great year could tie up most of the eastern seaboard for Duke.

budwom
09-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Baylor just lost to UTSA at Home.

Uhhhh I'm pretty sure Duke is gonna be favored by a bit next week.

Duke favored by 13.5, but UT-SA is not as woeful as the hyphen would imply. Still, Baylor has been in severe disarray, and the line seems reasonable.

pfrduke
09-11-2017, 01:18 PM

This is fun (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/11/16287684/college-football-imperialism-map-2017).

Unfortunately, Baylor ceding territory to LIBERTY will prevent Duke's Southwestern land grab. But a great year could tie up most of the eastern seaboard for Duke.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7626&stc=1

First of all, the map idea is awesome. But note that the next opponent on Duke's schedule currently holding any territory is Virginia Tech, which we don't play until October 28. Obviously things can change week-to-week - for example, UNC can actually claim some territory (Norfolk and its surrounds) if it beats ODU this weekend, which would put that land at stake a couple weeks down the road - but it's telling that our schedule is not filled with a lot of conquerors.

I very much look forward to following these maps week-to-week.

pfrduke
09-18-2017, 01:56 PM

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7626&stc=1

The week 3 map is up! North Carolina did, in fact, gain territory in the Hampton Roads, which we could add to our coffers with a win this weekend.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7639&stc=1

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-18-2017, 02:53 PM
The week 3 map is up! North Carolina did, in fact, gain territory in the Hampton Roads, which we could add to our coffers with a win this weekend.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7639&stc=1

I am enjoying this a bit more than I ought. It is, somehow, quite satisfying.

elvis14
09-18-2017, 04:18 PM
I am enjoying this a bit more than I ought. It is, somehow, quite satisfying.

It's pretty cool. As a Clemson Alum, I'm looking forward to seeing those paws stamped all over!

richardjackson199
09-23-2017, 09:04 PM
That Baylor team we beat handily is giving a serious game to...

#3 Oklahoma!

chrishoke
09-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Thomas Sirk throws for 400 yards as ECU finally wins a game - UConn misses a 33 yard fg as time expires, 41-38 ECU.

Bob Green
09-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Thomas Sirk throws for 400 yards as ECU finally wins a game - UConn misses a 33 yard fg as time expires, 41-38 ECU.

Including three touchdown passes and he rushed 14 times for 31 yards.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400941838

Pghdukie
09-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Saquan Barkley is a beast of a RB for Penn St.

chrishoke
09-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Including three touchdown passes and he rushed 14 times for 31 yards.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400941838

30-39 passing. WOW.

pfrduke
09-25-2017, 04:22 PM
Week 4's map is out. Duke expands into valuable port territory to the east, controlling the entrance to the Chesapeake. Miami has holdings in northern Michigan and southern Louisiana that it poached from Toledo that Duke can claim with a win on Friday night.

As an aside, while I have precisely zero responsibility for the college football weekly map, I am in the process of building versions for our 2015 and 2010 NCAA tournament runs based on the same principle. Will post when done.

https://i.imgur.com/y1DtbwX.jpg

throatybeard
09-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Been waiting my whole life for Duke to take over American Basque country.

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Georgia Tech 24, Carolina 0 toward the end of 3rd Quarter. Yellow Jackets have 318 yards rushing including runs of 65 and 63 (TD) yards. Carolina just pulled Chazz Surratt and replaced him with Brandon Harris who promptly threw an interception. GT threatening again...:cool:

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Georgia Tech fumbled. The Hat has reinserted Surratt at quarterback. On to the 4th Quarter, pulling for GT to finish off the Heels.

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Even though South Florida throttled East Carolina 61-31 today, ECU QB Thomas Sirk put up some nice statistics. He was 20-43 passing for 302 yards with two TDs and two interceptions. He rushed 18 times for 87 yards and two touchdowns.

moonpie23
09-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Heels looked good...

devildeac
09-30-2017, 04:04 PM
Heels looked good...

They scored more points today than we did last PM...

:rolleyes:

Bob Green
09-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Halftime: FSU 13, Wake Forest 12. WF outplayed FSU for the majority of the 1st half but finds themselves down by a point. The first 30 minutes were entertaining so I'm looking forward to watching the 2nd half.

hallcity
09-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Go Deacs. Leading in 4th quarter.

Indoor66
09-30-2017, 06:54 PM
FSU scores with :53 left - 26-19

DukieInKansas
09-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Watched the Hokies enter the stadium for the game tonight. There was a female walking at the front of the group carrying a rifle (?). I never noticed it passed to anyone to carry into the stadium, but I might have missed it
Does anyone know what that is about?

arnie
09-30-2017, 09:24 PM
LSU appears to be a train wreck - Troy up 17-0. Wonder if the Alleva is in trouble.

chrishoke
09-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately, right now WF is better than we are. I couldn't believe my eyes today.

DangerDevil
09-30-2017, 11:03 PM
LSU appears to be a train wreck - Troy up 17-0. Wonder if the Alleva is in trouble.

His hire of Ed Orgeron and his $12m buyout is looking really good right now, especially when they still owe Les Miles $9m, yikes!

throatybeard
10-01-2017, 01:41 AM

Boat wreck. 😂😂

cato
10-01-2017, 02:00 AM
Been waiting my whole life for Duke to take over American Basque country.

I had a very memorable evening at a dinner club in Elko. This was back in 2002, but still.

YmoBeThere
10-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Duke alum and ECU head coach Scottie Montgomery appears to be on the hot seat in his second season at there.

chrishoke
10-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Duke alum and ECU head coach Scottie Montgomery appears to be on the hot seat in his second season at there.

Scottie's defense may be the worst in FBS.

throatybeard
10-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Scottie's defense may be the worst in FBS.

They should play Mizzou, just to see if two teams can break 100.

arnie
10-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Boat wreck. 😂😂

Boat wreck indeed. Quite the read on Joe's hiring methods.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2017/10/01/misery-index-week-5-bad-night-baton-rouge-exposes-lsus-flawed-hiring-ed-orgeron/721059001/

budwom
10-01-2017, 03:09 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2017/10/01/misery-index-week-5-bad-night-baton-rouge-exposes-lsus-flawed-hiring-ed-orgeron/721059001/

One of the only (perhaps THE only) guy in the world to build a ridiculously ill-deserved, lucrative career based solely on being someone else's racquetball partner.

arnie
10-01-2017, 03:35 PM
One of the only (perhaps THE only) guy in the world to build a ridiculously ill-deserved, lucrative career based solely on being someone else's racquetball partner.

Great illustration of the Peter Principle.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-01-2017, 03:35 PM

Hear! Hear! :cool:

buddy
10-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately, right now WF is better than we are. I couldn't believe my eyes today.

Seems like WF is always better than we are, even when they are not.

sagegrouse
10-01-2017, 06:55 PM

Writer discusses a number of teams and coaches. On UNC and the lack of an effective QB:

North Carolina: At this point in his career as a head coach, you just kind of figure that Larry Fedora is going to have a good quarterback. Whether it was at Southern Miss or North Carolina, where a parade of effective signal callers have come through to run his system, you count on the Tar Heels having a good offense. But we may have to adjust our compass this year, as North Carolina is currently a very bad football team that doesn’t do a good job scoring points. Now 1-4, this could very well be the first time in Fedora’s 10 years as a head coach that his team doesn’t win enough games to qualify for a bowl. Against Georgia Tech on Saturday in a 33-7 loss, the Tar Heels finished with 247 yards of offense while quarterback Chazz Surratt threw for 141 and an interception. That’s a far cry from teams run by Mitchell Trubisky, Marquise Williams and Bryn Renner, and it appears Fedora’s quarterback luck has run out. The Tar Heels are not only uncompetitive, but they're not even entertaining. And if it gets much worse, Fedora may not come up as much in coaching searches as he has the last few years.

throatybeard
10-01-2017, 08:28 PM
^^ One quibble.

I, for one, find it highly entertaining when Carolina is terrible.

devildeac
10-01-2017, 10:31 PM
^^ One quibble.

I, for one, find it highly entertaining when Carolina is terrible.

8-20. Best c*rolina MBB coach. Ever.

sagegrouse
10-01-2017, 11:25 PM
8-20. Best c*rolina MBB coach. Ever.

Let me offer a close second for a season -- Dean Smith's first year, the Heels were 8-9. Dean Smith with a losing record? Yep -- he was even hung in effigy on the Chapel Hill campus. Seventeen games? Why, you ask? Because the UNC Board limited the number of games as punishment for the point shaving and other violations under Frank McGuire.

PackMan97
10-02-2017, 02:34 AM
Writer discusses a number of teams and coaches. On UNC and the lack of an effective QB:

I think UNC is missing Switzer more than they are Trubinsky. Not that Mitch wasn't the best ever UNC QB...I mean he might actually have a starting NFL QB (which would make him the first from UNC)....but Switzer was the one always bailing out UNC the past few years. As good as Trubinsky was a QB, Switzer was a better Punt Return and Reciever.

pfrduke
10-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Week 5's map is up, with a decided lack of Pantone 287 (although we can get back on the map in, of all places, Connecticut with a win this weekend).

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7677&stc=1

Bob Green
10-07-2017, 06:55 AM
After the Duke at Virginia game today, one can watch Miami at FSU on ESPN at 3:30. Seeing as we play FSU next week, it will be interesting to see how they match up against the team that just whipped us.

Alabama at Texas A&M on ESPN at 7:15, Michigan State at Michigan on ABC at 7:30 or Washington State at Oregon on Fox at 8:00 are the best looking evening games. I'll watch the Crimson Tide as I never get tired of watching Alabama run the ball.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 07:32 AM
After the Duke at Virginia game today, one can watch Miami at FSU on ESPN at 3:30. Seeing as we play FSU next week, it will be interesting to see how they match up against the team that just whipped us.

I agree it is a compelling game. Miami looks like a team on the rise, and FSU has clearly faced challenges, but FSU isn't likely to end the season with a losing record. I expect that to be a fun matchup.

Additionally in the ACC, Wake will likely come tumbling back to earth - I can't see them hanging with Clemson, but if they did the rest of the conference would be put on notice. Vegas has Clemson as a more than 20 point favorite. Also, I expect the Notre Dame game to be a fun watch for obvious reasons.

Tripping William
10-07-2017, 07:44 AM
I agree it is a compelling game. Miami looks like a team on the rise, and FSU has clearly faced challenges, but FSU isn't likely to end the season with a losing record. I expect that to be a fun matchup.

Additionally in the ACC, Wake will likely come tumbling back to earth - I can't see them hanging with Clemson, but if they did the rest of the conference would be put on notice. Vegas has Clemson as a more than 20 point favorite. Also, I expect the Notre Dame game to be a fun watch for obvious reasons.

Also LOLSU@Florida, just to see what the next chapter of the Alleva/Orgeron boatwreck will be.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Also LOLSU@Florida, just to see what the next chapter of the Alleva/Orgeron boatwreck will be.
Not sure if typo...

Tripping William
10-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Not sure if typo...

Intentional. LOL :o

YmoBeThere
10-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Disastrous day for the ACC...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Clemson loses their QB to a hard hit at the end of the first half, loses to Syracuse on the road.

Definitely didn't call that one.

mattman91
10-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Clemson loses their QB to a hard hit at the end of the first half, loses to Syracuse on the road.

Definitely didn't call that one.

Feel bad for the QB, but there are WAY too many annoying Clemson fans in this town. Glad they lost.

Wander
10-14-2017, 01:52 AM
Make it 2 top-10 upsets... Washington State should fall pretty far for the magnitude of this loss.

People always overreact to the first loss a college football power takes... Clemson is more than alive for a playoff spot, the concern is if their QB can play.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Really awesome comeback by Miami tonight. Incredible 4th down catch to keep the drive alive. Go Canes!

Atlanta Duke
10-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Really awesome comeback by Miami tonight. Incredible 4th down catch to keep the drive alive. Go Canes!

Another impressive comeback

Mark Richt is still a very good coach - he had passed his sell by date at UGA but Miami is going to once again be a force once Richt gets the recruiting pipeline operating

OldPhiKap
10-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Another impressive comeback

Mark Richt is still a very good coach - he had passed his sell by date at UGA but Miami is going to once again be a force once Richt gets the recruiting pipeline operating

Don't be surprised if Eason leaves UGA and transfers to Miami.

Richt will make Miami very formidable.

Wander
10-14-2017, 09:04 PM
Don't be surprised if Eason leaves UGA and transfers to Miami.

Richt will make Miami very formidable.

Maybe already there. Although I don't really believe Miami is one of the best 4 teams in the country, they've got a nice path to finish undefeated and make the playoffs, getting the better ACC/Notre Dame opponents at home.

rsvman
10-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Painful ending to the Utah-USC game last night. Down 28-21 on the road, Utah finds itself with a second and goal from the one yard line with something like 26 seconds to play. They get the touchdown and then decide to try for two to win the game.
The quarterback heads toward the right pylon, head down. There is a receiver wide open in the endzone running along at the same speed as the quarterback. Would've been the easiest two-point conversion ever. Except that the quarterback never looked up so he never saw the receiver. He just kept running, and he got stopped about a yard shy, sealing the Utes one-point loss.
Ouch.

Except that I'm a BYU grad, so it was actually pretty sweet. :-)

PackMan97
10-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Disastrous day for the ACC...

Carolina lost, that makes it a good day.

devildeac
10-16-2017, 11:12 AM
Carolina lost, that makes it a good day.

Oh, what the hell, go ahead and enjoy it all week. ;)

PackMan97
10-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Because it hasn't been posted yet. NC State really sucks at beating teams who have just won a game. 6 game winning streak...hardly any territory....and that's with beating FSU and UofL.

https://i.imgur.com/07jUgsa.jpg

whereinthehellami
10-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Thanks to VT for taking the Cheaters to the woodshed this past weekend and beating them by 52 points. The cheaters were totally embarrassed from start to finish. I love that the "cloud was lifted" to reveal that karma does suck, as does the Cheater's football team. Sometimes punishment comes in different forms, thanks again Hokies!

pfrduke
10-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Boston College 35, F$U 3. Jimbo not having a happy season.

Bob Green
10-28-2017, 07:12 AM

It is possible Jimbo's team has quit on him.

TKG
10-28-2017, 08:33 AM

Wish they had quit on him before they traveled to Durham.

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Wish they had quit on him before they traveled to Durham.

No kidding. Seeing that game last night made the Duke loss even more painful. :mad:

devildeac
10-28-2017, 09:21 AM

f$u-17
Duke-10

Sigh.

Edit: I see my fine, quick-fingered friend, CB&B, beat me to it.

Sigh.

Bob Green
10-28-2017, 09:35 AM
No kidding. Seeing that game last night made the Duke loss even more painful. :mad:

Check out the box score:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400937504

Boston College ran the ball 55 times for 241 yards and three touchdowns. They ran 30 more running plays than Duke did against FSU (25/111/1).

Just a little bit more of my run the ball obsession early in the morning.

PackMan97
10-28-2017, 10:02 AM

LOL! FSU has indeed quit. My guess is their athletes are mad that they have to go to class and aren't going to start trying hard until FSU setrs up a Potemkin Curriculum like Carolina's so they can be spared the indignity of having to go to class.

Pghdukie
10-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Have I mentioned lately that Saquan Barkley is a beast of a RB !

PDDuke85
10-28-2017, 10:36 AM
LOL! FSU has indeed quit. My guess is their athletes are mad that they have to go to class and aren't going to start trying hard until FSU setrs up a Potemkin Curriculum like Carolina's so they can be spared the indignity of having to go to class.

I think the lads from FSU just need some crab legs. In our season of shoulda woulda coulda, amongst others, the FSU game was there for the taking.

OldPhiKap
10-28-2017, 11:55 AM
I’m taking DaughterPK to Clemson in a few weeks for their game v. FSU. May be brutal.

Bob Green
10-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Multiple important ACC games today:

Miami at Carolina
N.C. State at Notre Dame
Virginia at Pitt
Louisville at Wake Forest
Georgia Tech at Clemson

Lots of football to spend the day watching prior to the Duke kick off.

chrishoke
10-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Heels first and goal at the Miami 1, no penalties and still can't score.

jv001
10-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Check out the box score:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400937504

Boston College ran the ball 55 times for 241 yards and three touchdowns. They ran 30 more running plays than Duke did against FSU (25/111/1).

Just a little bit more of my run the ball obsession early in the morning.

Our offense is so predictable, a pee wee league football coach could game plan his team to play Duke's offense. The swing pass to one of our backs especially makes me want to puke. I have seen very little screen passes and draw plays that should help keep the rush off Daniel and the lack of running plays speaks for itself. Let's hope we see something different today. Or, else it's going to be a very long day for Mr. Jones and company. GoDuke!

Bob Green
10-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Halftime scores:

Miami 7, Carolina 6

Wake Forest 28, Louisville 10

Pitt 21, Virginia 7

Wander
10-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Icing the kicker should be illegal. What a horrible, idiotic trend in football.

devildeac
10-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Don't do this to us, miami...

slower
10-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Don't do this to us, miami...

Try to remain optimistic.

devildeac
10-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Thank you, miami. But I still despise you, too, because the knee was down.

Bob Green
10-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Heisman Trophy candidate Saquon Barkley just returned the opening kick off 96 yards for a touchdown. Penn State 7, Ohio State 0.

DU82
10-28-2017, 03:50 PM
University-7 tried to give the game away to the notorious cheaters, but the no class smurfs handed it back.

El_Diablo
10-28-2017, 04:04 PM
University-7 tried to give the game away to the notorious cheaters, but the no class smurfs handed it back.

At least both fanbases can be disappointed.

devildeac
10-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Meanwhile, that "not so good" Northwestern team just tied #16 MSU at the end of 2OT.

Wander
10-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Meanwhile, that "not so good" Northwestern team just tied #16 MSU at the end of 2OT.

Northwestern isn't horrible, but what does it matter? Duke isn't close to good enough to be considered for the Top 25, so it doesn't really matter what our strength of schedule is like.

The playoff race is shaping up to be pretty fun - Alabama, Georgia, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Miami all control their own destiny, but lots of arguments to be had after that about the relative strength of Notre Dame, Oklahoma, the loser of an Alabama-Georgia SEC title game, etc. I wonder if we're headed towards two teams from the same conference in the playoffs for the first time.

PackMan97
10-28-2017, 08:38 PM
I wonder if we're headed towards two teams from the same conference in the playoffs for the first time.

GA and Bama are certainly making that case. Only ND has come close to Georgia this season and only Texas A&M for Bama. I think if the SEC championship is close, both get in, especially with PedoU and TCU losing.

kmspeaks
10-28-2017, 08:40 PM
Northwestern isn't horrible, but what does it matter? Duke isn't close to good enough to be considered for the Top 25, so it doesn't really matter what our strength of schedule is like.

The playoff race is shaping up to be pretty fun - Alabama, Georgia, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Miami all control their own destiny, but lots of arguments to be had after that about the relative strength of Notre Dame, Oklahoma, the loser of an Alabama-Georgia SEC title game, etc. I wonder if we're headed towards two teams from the same conference in the playoffs for the first time.

A lot of football to be played obviously but assuming a close loss in the SEC Championship game you'd have to think a 1 loss Alabama/Georgia would be in.

Edit: Or if I had waited 30 seconds I could have just wrote "what PackMan said".

El_Diablo
10-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Georgia's beatdown of Florida may cost the Gators coach his job. Administrators are apparently meeting today to discuss a buyout:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21199029/university-florida-administrators-discussing-fire-coach-jim-mcelwain-following-claims-family-players-received-death-threats

PackMan97
10-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Georgia's beatdown of Florida may cost the Gators coach his job. Administrators are apparently meeting today to discuss a buyout:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21199029/university-florida-administrators-discussing-fire-coach-jim-mcelwain-following-claims-family-players-received-death-threats

2015 SEC East Champions
2016 SEC East Champions
2017 Possible Losing Season

...LOL! Talk about a demanding fan base.

El_Diablo
10-29-2017, 12:54 PM
2015 SEC East Champions
2016 SEC East Champions
2017 Possible Losing Season

...LOL! Talk about a demanding fan base.

Apparently he has even been getting death threats from UF fans. Pathetic.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Many SEC teams have the absolute belief that a conference title is their birthright. Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, and Alabama have a large percentage of fans with delusional concepts of what an “unacceptable”season really is.

rsvman
10-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Apparently he has even been getting death threats from UF fans. Pathetic.

Although when asked to provide specifics, he declined, leading some to believe that he may have been fabricating the story, or, at the very least, exaggerating reality.

Bob Green
10-29-2017, 01:24 PM
The initial College Football Playoff rankings will be released on Tuesday October 31st. Who you got?

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Wisconsin
4. Clemson
5. Ohio State
6. Notre Dame

The SEC might be having a "down" year, but there is nothing wrong with the top of the conference. Wisconsin will not be there at the end but they are the only unbeaten team in the BigTen so a bid is currently theirs to lose. Clemson sneaks in at #4 despite the bad loss to Syracuse based on being the defending champions.

Wander
10-29-2017, 01:50 PM
The initial College Football Playoff rankings will be released on Tuesday October 31st. Who you got?

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Wisconsin
4. Clemson
5. Ohio State
6. Notre Dame

The SEC might be having a "down" year, but there is nothing wrong with the top of the conference. Wisconsin will not be there at the end but they are the only unbeaten team in the BigTen so a bid is currently theirs to lose. Clemson sneaks in at #4 despite the bad loss to Syracuse based on being the defending champions.

No way Wisconsin is above Ohio State right now. I'll predict:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State

But, you can make an argument for Notre Dame or Clemson as well.

Stray Gator
10-29-2017, 02:34 PM
Although when asked to provide specifics, he declined, leading some to believe that he may have been fabricating the story, or, at the very least, exaggerating reality.

Exactly. According to reports from sources close to the program, when McElwain made that bizarre off-the-wall statement at his press conference last Monday that he and his family and some players had been the targeted with death threats -- a claim that no one at UF had previously heard -- the UF administration went to him and asked for more information so that they could investigate and provide adequate security to the individuals who were threatened. In response, McElwain refused to provide any further information, which raised suspicion that he was just fabricating the story to garner sympathy and divert attention away from the poor performance of the team, and particularly his offense, even though it obviously cast a negative shadow at UF's fans and administration. By the time he tried awkwardly to walk it back a little, the damage was done. In fact, this was just another episode in what has apparently been an ongoing deterioration of the relationship between McElwain and the UF administration. Again, despite his laid-back nice guy image, reports from supposedly reliable insiders paint him as someone who has become increasingly difficult to work with for others in the athletic administration.

In any event, sometimes a good person just doesn't turn out to be a good fit for the job, and this is clearly one of those circumstances. The consensus among people around the program is that McElwain really isn't happy at UF, partly because of the pressures and partly because he would prefer to be back out west, where he's from. Gator fans generally are not eager to go through another coaching change, which almost always delays the recovery of a program, but there's no other way to resolve this unpleasant situation.

Saratoga2
10-29-2017, 02:58 PM
I watched the OSU/PSU game yesterday thinking it to be the best match of the day and not having a stake in either. It did turn out to be a good game, but PSU didn't seem to have heard about quick hitters and ultimately couldn't find a way to move the ball when they most needed to. At any rate, I was appalled at the sheer number of ads and the % of broadcast time apportioned to them. Any excuse at all and the ads were run, sometimes in bursts of a few seconds, one right after another. I exercised the mute button throughout but it still took away from the enjoyment of the game so much so that I made the decision not to watch any game of any type on TV unless I had a personal stake. That leaves me down to watching Duke basketball and the Red Sox and Patriots. The TV network gurus are totally killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Bob Green
10-29-2017, 03:23 PM
At any rate, I was appalled at the sheer number of ads and the % of broadcast time apportioned to them. Any excuse at all and the ads were run, sometimes in bursts of a few seconds, one right after another. I exercised the mute button throughout but it still took away from the enjoyment of the game...

It is even worse when you are at the stadium watching live. All those ads equate to dead time with the teams standing around on the field waiting for permission from the TV execs to resume play.

Bob Green
10-29-2017, 03:26 PM
3. Oklahoma

I'm guilty of forgetting about Oklahoma who has a very good win over Ohio State.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2017, 03:58 PM
Florida’s coach McElwain out per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21215201/florida-gators-head-coach-jim-mcelwain-part-ways

Wander
10-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Exactly. According to reports from sources close to the program, when McElwain made that bizarre off-the-wall statement at his press conference last Monday that he and his family and some players had been the targeted with death threats -- a claim that no one at UF had previously heard -- the UF administration went to him and asked for more information so that they could investigate and provide adequate security to the individuals who were threatened. In response, McElwain refused to provide any further information, which raised suspicion that he was just fabricating the story to garner sympathy and divert attention away from the poor performance of the team, and particularly his offense, even though it obviously cast a negative shadow at UF's fans and administration. By the time he tried awkwardly to walk it back a little, the damage was done. In fact, this was just another episode in what has apparently been an ongoing deterioration of the relationship between McElwain and the UF administration. Again, despite his laid-back nice guy image, reports from supposedly reliable insiders paint him as someone who has become increasingly difficult to work with for others in the athletic administration.

In any event, sometimes a good person just doesn't turn out to be a good fit for the job, and this is clearly one of those circumstances. The consensus among people around the program is that McElwain really isn't happy at UF, partly because of the pressures and partly because he would prefer to be back out west, where he's from. Gator fans generally are not eager to go through another coaching change, which almost always delays the recovery of a program, but there's no other way to resolve this unpleasant situation.

No problem with firing someone if they're being dishonest with their employee or are overly difficult to work with. But the timing of this makes it seem like that isn't the case. The timing makes it seem like it's a vast overreaction to losing a game and acquiescing a fan base. Florida is at absolute worst the 2nd best program in the SEC East, and arguably the 1st best program. So this seems like a crazy move to me.

PackMan97
10-29-2017, 05:48 PM
No problem with firing someone if they're being dishonest with their employee or are overly difficult to work with. But the timing of this makes it seem like that isn't the case. The timing makes it seem like it's a vast overreaction to losing a game and acquiescing a fan base. Florida is at absolute worst the 2nd best program in the SEC East, and arguably the 1st best program. So this seems like a crazy move to me.

It's like they were looking for something, anything to get rid of him.

Kinda like someone having a morals clause in their contract and you fire them because they only tithed 9% instead of 10% at church.

Stray Gator
10-29-2017, 07:16 PM
It's like they were looking for something, anything to get rid of him.

Kinda like someone having a morals clause in their contract and you fire them because they only tithed 9% instead of 10% at church.

To be perfectly honest, it appears that McElwain wanted out at least as much as UF wanted him out -- in fact, there's considerable speculation that he deliberately manufactured this "death threat" controversy as a means of facilitating an early departure. He acknowledged that he was not getting it done with the job of restoring some offensive effectiveness and success at Florida, and it seemed that he was growing increasingly uncomfortable with the pressure. I believe it was a mutually desired and beneficial decision for McElwain to part ways with UF, so that the Gators can move on with a search for a new coach and he can move on with a search for a program at which he's more comfortable.

sagegrouse
10-29-2017, 07:27 PM
To be perfectly honest, it appears that McElwain wanted out at least as much as UF wanted him out -- in fact, there's considerable speculation that he deliberately manufactured this "death threat" controversy as a means of facilitating an early departure. He acknowledged that he was not getting it done with the job of restoring some offensive effectiveness and success at Florida, and it seemed that he was growing increasingly uncomfortable with the pressure. I believe it was a mutually desired and beneficial decision for McElwain to part ways with UF, so that the Gators can move on with a search for a new coach and he can move on with a search for a program at which he's more comfortable.

Isn't his contract for more than $10 million in future guarantees? I would have to really hate a job to throw that away.

Stray Gator
10-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Isn't his contract for more than $10 million in future guarantees? I would have to really hate a job to throw that away.

The buyout under the contract would have been over $12 million, but given the circumstances that might have enabled UF to fire him for cause with no buyout, I'm sure both sides agreed to settle for some lesser amount.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2017, 07:46 PM

I’d leave my job for half of that.

75Crazie
10-29-2017, 09:00 PM
McElwain appeared to be well-suited for the Colorado State program and the comparatively low expectations of its fans. He significantly improved that program in a short period of time. When he left for the Florida job, I thought he was making a mistake, and it does appear to have been the case. Sometimes more pay and higher visibility do not necessarily make a better job.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Not sure if it is too early to start a separate thread on coaching openings, but you gotta wonder who will replace Jim McElwain. Interesting article on just SEC coaches who may be out by the end of the season:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21219506/jim-mcelwain-departure-florida-gators-just-first-domino-wild-coaching-carousel

Bob Green
10-31-2017, 07:52 PM
1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Notre Dame
4. Clemson
5. Oklahoma
6. Ohio State
7. Penn State
8. TCU
9. Wisconsin
10. Miami

Wander
10-31-2017, 07:56 PM
1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Notre Dame
4. Clemson
5. Oklahoma
6. Ohio State
7. Penn State
8. TCU
9. Wisconsin
10. Miami

Nice to see Georgia at #1 and Wisconsin and Miami at the bottom of the Top 10 where they all belong. These rankings are a vast improvement over the polls.

Pghdukie
10-31-2017, 08:17 PM
I'm not buying Notre Dame. Early lose to Georgia, but schedule is relatively weak. Southern Cal and Stanford ahead so Irish may be able to prove me wrong.

arnie
10-31-2017, 08:21 PM
I'm not buying Notre Dame. Early lose to Georgia, but schedule is relatively weak. Southern Cal and Stanford ahead so Irish may be able to prove me wrong.

A little behind are we?

mr shadow 008
10-31-2017, 11:31 PM
My biggest quibble with the rankings is Iowa state at 15. They have one loss to Iowa at Iowa in OT but yet has beaten BOTH TCU and OU. However, both OU and TCU are ahead of them in the polls. I'm sorry but the only logical explanation for it is because they are Iowa State.

pfrduke
10-31-2017, 11:33 PM
My biggest quibble with the rankings is Iowa state at 15. They have one loss to Iowa at Iowa in OT but yet has beaten BOTH TCU and OU. However, both OU and TCU are ahead of them in the polls. I'm sorry but the only logical explanation for it is because they are Iowa State.

Two losses. Also lost to Texas. That’s why they are 15.

mr shadow 008
10-31-2017, 11:50 PM
Two losses. Also lost to Texas. That’s why they are 15.

You are correct looked at their schedule wrong.

JasonEvans
11-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Here is my question -- if UGA and Alabama both go to the SEC title game unbeaten, does the loser still make the national championship playoff? I think that unless the game is a blow out, the answer is yes. What's more, I think the loser drops to the #3 team in the rankings as they would not want to drop them to #4 and force an immediate rematch with the #1 team.

luvdahops
11-01-2017, 09:58 AM

ND's schedule is hardly weak. The Irish lost by a point to UGA, and have blowout wins against SC, Michigan State, NC State and BC. They still have Wake, Miami, Navy and Stanford to play. If they finish 11-1 against that slate, they belong in the playoff.

chris13
11-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Many SEC teams have the absolute belief that a conference title is their birthright. Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, and Alabama have a large percentage of fans with delusional concepts of what an “unacceptable”season really is.

McElwaine may need to go, as Stray details below, but I don't think it's going to matter as long as Saban is at Alabama. I don't like him or Alabama, but I've never seen a more dominant college football program, given how competitive the landscape is these days. Be very interested to see if Georgia can challenge the throne.

Bob Green
11-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Notre Dame 49, Southern Cal 14.

JasonEvans
11-01-2017, 03:52 PM
Southern Cal Miami and Stanford ahead so Irish may be able to prove me wrong.

FIFY

Wander
11-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Here is my question -- if UGA and Alabama both go to the SEC title game unbeaten, does the loser still make the national championship playoff? I think that unless the game is a blow out, the answer is yes. What's more, I think the loser drops to the #3 team in the rankings as they would not want to drop them to #4 and force an immediate rematch with the #1 team.

Depends on how things shake out elsewhere, but I think we can come up with scenarios where the loser gets in. Especially if Georgia is the loser and competing with Notre Dame for the last spot, who they'll have a tiebreaker over and won't have to deal with the "but I'm a conference champion!" counterargument.

We can also come up with scenarios where two Big 10 teams get in, but that's much less likely.

CameronBornAndBred
11-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Way to stay classy State fans.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/watch-nc-state-fans-throw-objects-appear-to-spit-at-referees/ar-AAus0Hv

pic.twitter.com/NZw7I5L7bu

PackMan97
11-05-2017, 09:05 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/watch-nc-state-fans-throw-objects-appear-to-spit-at-referees/ar-AAus0Hv

Inexcusable...

Devil549
11-05-2017, 09:57 AM
I know State fans complaining about refs but on last flag it was a good call WR was moving on snap. You cannot miss FG and give up a TD run on kickoff in a game for first place.

Wander
11-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Definitely moved closer toward the 2 SEC team playoff scenario this weekend with the Big 10 losses. That would still need some help because Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Clemson, Miami, and maybe Wisconsin, TCU, and Washington would be ahead if they win out (at least two of these teams are guaranteed to lose next week), but it looks like a realistic scenario.

PackMan97
11-05-2017, 12:15 PM
I know State fans complaining about refs but on last flag it was a good call WR was moving on snap. You cannot miss FG and give up a TD run on kickoff in a game for first place.

I don't think it was the last call fans were upset about.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Definitely moved closer toward the 2 SEC team playoff scenario this weekend with the Big 10 losses. That would still need some help because Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Clemson, Miami, and maybe Wisconsin, TCU, and Washington would be ahead if they win out (at least two of these teams are guaranteed to lose next week), but it looks like a realistic scenario.

Georgia @ Auburn this upcoming Saturday is a big game for Dawg Nation.

Wander
11-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Georgia @ Auburn this upcoming Saturday is a big game for Dawg Nation.

Two-loss teams will occasionally make it into the playoffs. If Auburn wins out (implying they'd beat Georgia twice and Alabama), they'll be the first.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Two-loss teams will occasionally make it into the playoffs. If Auburn wins out (implying they'd beat Georgia twice and Alabama), they'll be the first.

If Auburn won those two games, would they make the SEC Championship game though? I don’t know the rules, but I would guess that ‘Bama would need a second loss at least — which diminishes the impressiveness of the win. The Tide has @ Mississippi State, host Mercer and @ Auburn left — I guess a close loss at 7-2 Miss. St is possible although I went to the Miss. St. At UGA game and it was an epic buttwhooping).

Don’t know though, just asking.

kmspeaks
11-05-2017, 01:09 PM
If Auburn won those two games, would they make the SEC Championship game though? I don’t know the rules, but I would guess that ‘Bama would need a second loss at least — which diminishes the impressiveness of the win. The Tide has @ Mississippi State, host Mercer and @ Auburn left — I guess a close loss at 7-2 Miss. St is possible although I went to the Miss. St. At UGA game and it was an epic buttwhooping).

Don’t know though, just asking.

Only one of their two losses is in conference so I would think if Auburn wins out they'd be in the SEC title game.

arnie
11-05-2017, 01:16 PM
I don't think it was the last call fans were upset about.

State fans whine about refs in every game in football and b-ball. It’s what they do. So I don’t think you’re right, I think they were throwing things at the refs because of all the calls over the last 30-40 years.

Olympic Fan
11-05-2017, 01:41 PM

We've only had three seasons in the current format. So far:

-- No two-loss team has been included

-- No conference has had two representatives in the final four

Now, sooner or later, I imagine we'll get a two loss team ... but not this year and certainly not Auburn.

We do have our best chance for two teams from one conference to get in -- if Georgia and Alabama are still 1-2 when they meet in the SEC title game and they play a reasonably competitive game, I would expect both to get in.

The interesting case is Notre Dame. I'd LOVE to see them win out, finish 11-1, and NOT get in the final four. How could that happen? Well, they wouldn't have a conference championship, which is a HUGE factor with the committee. That's not factored in now because nobody has a conference title. If they go 11-1 and don't get a bid, that could push them towards joining the ACC as a full member.

The two wild cards right now are Miami and Wisconsin. Both unbeaten, but likely to be No. 7 and No. 8 in the rankings this week. Both because of a weak schedule. But Miami has more opportunity with this week's game with Notre Dame and the ACC title game with Clemson. Win out and they are a lock. Wisconsin doesn't have those chances.

PS On a difference subject, can anybody guess when our cheating neighbors last beat an FBS opponent (their last two wins were over The Citadel late last year and Old Dominion this year)?

CameronBornAndBred
11-05-2017, 01:58 PM
S̶t̶a̶t̶e̶ Every team's fans whine about refs in every game in football and b-ball. It’s what they do.

Not every team's fans spit on them as they are leaving the field.

Bob Green
11-05-2017, 02:19 PM
PS On a difference subject, can anybody guess when our cheating neighbors last beat an FBS opponent (their last two wins were over The Citadel late last year and Old Dominion this year)?

Old Dominion is an FBS opponent. The Monarchs are a member of Conference USA.

TruBlu
11-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Not every team's fans spit on them as they are leaving the field.

Yep. We didn’t spit on them or throw things at them even after the Halloween/Miami fiasco.

(Kinda felt like it, but didn’t do it.)

Wander
11-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Now, sooner or later, I imagine we'll get a two loss team ... but not this year and certainly not Auburn.

I agree with you in the sense that I think the chance of Auburn winning 3 out of 3 games against Alabama and Georgia is probably about 0.1%. But hypothetically, if they did, they'd be in.

JasonEvans
11-05-2017, 03:17 PM
The two wild cards right now are Miami and Wisconsin. Both unbeaten, but likely to be No. 7 and No. 8 in the rankings this week. Both because of a weak schedule. But Miami has more opportunity with this week's game with Notre Dame and the ACC title game with Clemson. Win out and they are a lock. Wisconsin doesn't have those chances.

There is a non-zero chance that Wisconsin could go undefeated in a Power 5 conference without beating a single team in the top 25. It is not likely, as they will probably face a ranked team in the B10 title game, but not impossible.

Wait, Iowa just creeped into the AP poll at #25. The Hawkeyes are unranked in the Coach's poll, but that #25 ranking makes them the only ranked team thus far on Wiscy's schedule.

So, if Wisconsin wins out to go unbeaten, are they automatic for the playoffs? Wouldn't a 1 loss Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Clemson be clearly more deserving considering the vastly tougher schedules they would play?

Sagarin rates Wisconsin's schedule as the 69th toughest in D1 football. It is the easiest schedule in the entire top 15. In fact, Central Florida (which does not play in a power conference) is the only team in Sagarin's top 30 who has played an easier schedule. By comparison, Clemson's schedule is #3, Notre Dame is #14, and Oklahoma is #19.

-Jason "by comparison to Wiscy, Duke's schedule is #57" Evans

PackMan97
11-06-2017, 02:27 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article182977401.html

Cops looking for names. I'd hate to be some of the folks in the video that you can clearly see throw or spit.

Bob Green
11-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Dabo Swinney says Dave Doeren should investigate his own sideline:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21328746/dave-doeren-laptop-talk-challenges-integrity

Swinney also noted the repeated issues his team has had with NC State, including a situation in 2015 when assistant Des Kitchings appeared to shove Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson after Watson ran out of bounds, and again Saturday when another Wolfpack assistant appeared to take a swipe at Clemson safety K'Von Wallace, who was returning an interception near the end of the game.

So just to be sure I have this right, first a State assistant coach attempts to assault a Clemson player, then State fans spit on the referees.

Olympic Fan
11-07-2017, 10:57 PM
interesting that as of this moment, Duke has the same number of top 25 wins as Wisconsin ... and each school's one top 25 win came vs. the same opponent (No. 25 Northwestern).

OldPhiKap
11-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Miami looking strong.
Georgia looked terrible.
Went to the Clemson game, they had a dominant defense at times but boy they did lots of stupid stuff to keep FSU in the game and let them catch up.
Notre Dame needs to join a conference full time so they have a playoff game. If Miami stays ahead here, ND has no way to get back in the mix. They have Navy, then Stanford (big win yesterday, but still 7-3; does a big win by Dame really move the needle?)

Oh, and to add —TURN ON ESPN NOW for the end of the Alabama - Cowbell game!!!!!

Wander
11-11-2017, 10:24 PM
Oh, and to add —TURN ON ESPN NOW for the end of the Alabama - Cowbell game!!!!!

Alabama's victory was completely inevitable and predictable as soon as Mississippi State punted on 4th and 3 in Alabama territory.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2017, 10:35 PM
I know I’m supposed to care about TCU -Oklahoma but just can’t muster it tonight.

tteettimes
11-11-2017, 10:37 PM
I’m impressed with Miami......they beat Duke and Notre Dame this year and are Undefeated
Would never have thunk it

OldPhiKap
11-11-2017, 10:39 PM
I’m impressed with Miami...they beat Duke and Notre Dame this year and are Undefeated
Would never have thunk it

Mark Richt is a huge upgrade.

ipatent
11-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Alabama's victory was completely inevitable and predictable as soon as Mississippi State punted on 4th and 3 in Alabama territory.

Agree with that. The Tide still has Auburn and UGA in the SEC title game, no cakewalk.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-11-2017, 11:24 PM

Felt the same way.

Miami SHOULD be #2 behind Alabama after this weekend. All the arguments about style points should be tossed out the window. They're undefeated and they've pretty much throttled a #13 Virginia Tech and #3 Notre Dame in back to back weekends. There's zero justification for putting any one loss team above them.

Wander
11-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Miami SHOULD be #2 behind Alabama after this weekend. All the arguments about style points should be tossed out the window. They're undefeated and they've pretty much throttled a #13 Virginia Tech and #3 Notre Dame in back to back weekends. There's zero justification for putting any one loss team above them.

I'd probably put them at #2 now also. So, if there's not big upsets in the final weeks, it looks like we're headed towards a playoff of...

1. ACC champion Clemson or Miami
2. SEC champion Alabama, Georgia, or Auburn
3. Oklahoma

For three of the playoff spots. Then Wisconsin as the 4th if they stay undefeated, but if they lose in the Big 10 title game, the last spot is tough... we either get our first two loss team, our first time with two teams from the same conference, or (infinitely less likely and basically impossible) a team from outside the power five in UCF.

JasonEvans
11-12-2017, 12:00 AM
I'd probably put them at #2 now also. So, if there's not big upsets in the final weeks, it looks like we're headed towards a playoff of...

1. ACC champion Clemson or Miami
2. SEC champion Alabama, Georgia, or Auburn
3. Oklahoma

For three of the playoff spots. Then Wisconsin as the 4th if they stay undefeated, but if they lose in the Big 10 title game, the last spot is tough... we either get our first two loss team, our first time with two teams from the same conference, or (infinitely less likely and basically impossible) a team from outside the power five in UCF.

If an undefeated Alabama loses to GA in the SEC title game, I think they could still get in as the #3 or #4 team. Similarly, if Auburn beats Alabama and makes the SEC title game, I could see them getting in if they lose to GA (especially in a close game).

Aside from those scenarios, I'm not sure I can come up with a 4th team who deserves to play with the other 3.

-Jason "If Auburn beats Bama to reach the SEC title game, does a 1 loss Bama automatically make the playoff? Seems like they might but that would be really unfair to teams playing in title games" Evans

arnie
11-12-2017, 05:54 AM
If an undefeated Alabama loses to GA in the SEC title game, I think they could still get in as the #3 or #4 team. Similarly, if Auburn beats Alabama and makes the SEC title game, I could see them getting in if they lose to GA (especially in a close game).

-Jason "If Auburn beats Bama to reach the SEC title game, does a 1 loss Bama automatically make the playoff? Seems like they might but that would be really unfair to teams playing in title games" Evans

That doesn’t make any sense, if Auburn beats BAMA then loses to UGA, Auburn has 3 losses. That won’t get them in. I do believe Bama is in with one loss.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 07:28 AM

Aside from those scenarios, I'm not sure I can come up with a 4th team who deserves to play with the other 3.

That doesn’t make any sense, if Auburn beats BAMA then loses to UGA, Auburn has 3 losses. That won’t get them in. I do believe Bama is in with one loss.

Auburn is interesting if they win out. Lost a close game in second week at Death Valley to a current playoff contender, and then lost mid season at LSU by four (currently 6-2 on the cusp of top 25 depending on polls, and a really difficult place to play any time). Would have beaten UGA twice, and Bama once.

Doubt it happens, but I would call that one of the four best teams in the country even with two losses. Might still need help to get in though (like either Clemson or Miami losing a remaining regular season game, and then the loser beating the winner in the ACCT).

vick
11-12-2017, 10:55 AM
Felt the same way.

I’d probably vote them #2 in the playoff rankings too (heck, their strength of record is arguably the best in the country), but there’s a genuine weirdness to this in that Miami would not be favored on a neutral field over, say, Clemson (or even Ohio State). I don’t really mind AP voters voting for the “best” teams (e.g. taking into account “style points”) while the playoff committee focuses on “most worthy” teams.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-12-2017, 02:35 PM
I’d probably vote them #2 in the playoff rankings too (heck, their strength of record is arguably the best in the country), but there’s a genuine weirdness to this in that Miami would not be favored on a neutral field over, say, Clemson (or even Ohio State). I don’t really mind AP voters voting for the “best” teams (e.g. taking into account “style points”) while the playoff committee focuses on “most worthy” teams.

They're comfortably number 2 in the new AP poll, even picking up 4 first place votes. Their strength of record is now #1.

I agree that Miami wouldn't be favored on a neutral field against a handful of teams, but that's kind of par for the course. The best 4 teams don't always get in. At a certain point, your record and resume are what matter...

Miami didn't start the season as a recognized national title contender and so every narrow win has been viewed through that prism, as somehow more damning than when Clemson drops a game to a 6-loss Syracuse team, or Oklahoma loses to a 4-loss Iowa State team. Trouncing Notre Dame should be enough to reverse all of that.

TKG
11-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Butch Jones out at Tennessee. Will the Vols make another run at Cut?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21387123/tennessee-volunteers-fire-coach-butch-jones

devildeac
11-12-2017, 10:16 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21387123/tennessee-volunteers-fire-coach-butch-jones

I've got an OC for them...

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 10:25 PM

Not at Cut’s age.

Surprised this did not happen right after Florida fired its coach, frankly. But UTenn ain’t the job it used to be.

Olympic Fan
11-12-2017, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty certain that both Clemson and Miami will be in the top four when the new rankings come out Tuesday.

But I'm equally certain that just one will make the playoff, since they meet Dec. 2 in Charlotte. I guess it's possible that Miami could be unbeaten before that game and could get in with a close loss to Clemson, but unlikely. And no way a two-loss Clemson gets in.

Still, it's pretty certain that the ACC gets one playoff spot.

The SEC gets one for sure (out of Alabama, Georgia and maybe Auburn)

Wisconsin gets one if they finish undefeated and beat Ohio State in the BIG title game.

Oklahoma gets one if they win out.

If another spot opens up (either Wisconsin loses or Oklahoma loses again) is could be interesting. I think a second SEC team would be a strong possibility.

Atlanta Duke
11-13-2017, 08:43 AM

Not automatically but Ohio State made it in last year - my bet is Bama gets in with a loss to Auburn unless Auburn then loses to UGA

Avvocato
11-13-2017, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty certain that both Clemson and Miami will be in the top four when the new rankings come out Tuesday.

But I'm equally certain that just one will make the playoff, since they meet Dec. 2 in Charlotte. I guess it's possible that Miami could be unbeaten before that game and could get in with a close loss to Clemson, but unlikely. And no way a two-loss Clemson gets in.

Still, it's pretty certain that the ACC gets one playoff spot.

The SEC gets one for sure (out of Alabama, Georgia and maybe Auburn)

Wisconsin gets one if they finish undefeated and beat Ohio State in the BIG title game.

Oklahoma gets one if they win out.

If another spot opens up (either Wisconsin loses or Oklahoma loses again) is could be interesting. I think a second SEC team would be a strong possibility.

I guess the doomsday scenario for the ACC is Clemson losing to South Carolina then beating Miami. Other dominoes would really have to fall for the ACC to hold its spot.

elvis14
11-13-2017, 01:38 PM
I guess the doomsday scenario for the ACC is Clemson losing to South Carolina then beating Miami. Other dominoes would really have to fall for the ACC to hold its spot.

Let's not even joke about that. Clemson is NOT losing to South Carolina!

Wander
11-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Miami down 10 to Pitt in the 4th quarter...

(I'm not sure this game actually matters as far as Miami getting into the playoffs...)

JasonEvans
11-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Miami down 10 to Pitt in the 4th quarter...

(I'm not sure this game actually matters as far as Miami getting into the playoffs...)

Hmmmm... I'm not so sure about that. If Miami went undefeated and then lost a close, well-played game to Clemson in the ACC title game, there are probably scenarios where both Miami and Clemson made the playoff. Yeah, the senarios are sorta slim, but not impossible. But, lose this game and it is certain that only the ACC champion goes (assuming Clemson beats South Carolina tomorrow).

-Jason "if Clemson loses to South Carolina and then beats Miami, the ACC could have zero teams in the playoff... which would suck" Evans

TKG
11-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Pitt wins. It matters for Miami because the onlyway they get into the Playoff is to beat Clemson in the ACC Championship. Pitt moves to 5-7. Does that eliminate us from bowl consideration if we lose to Wake tomorrow to finish 5-7? We lost to Pitt.

Wander
11-24-2017, 03:37 PM
Hmmmm... I'm not so sure about that. If Miami went undefeated and then lost a close, well-played game to Clemson in the ACC title game, there are probably scenarios where both Miami and Clemson made the playoff. Yeah, the senarios are sorta slim, but not impossible. But, lose this game and it is certain that only the ACC champion goes (assuming Clemson beats South Carolina tomorrow).

-Jason "if Clemson loses to South Carolina and then beats Miami, the ACC could have zero teams in the playoff... which would suck" Evans

Yeah, I think you're right in that it eliminates the two ACC team scenario. I should rephrase it as "Miami probably still controls its own destiny." I guess the exception is if Georgia, Oklahoma, Wisconsin all win out and Alabama has one loss, there's a chance they are the four playoff teams. But IMO any other scenario and Miami is guaranteed to get in if they beat Clemson.

JasonEvans
11-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Pitt wins. It matters for Miami because the onlyway they get into the Playoff is to beat Clemson in the ACC Championship. Pitt moves to 5-7. Does that eliminate us from bowl consideration if we lose to Wake tomorrow to finish 5-7? We lost to Pitt.

Whether we won or lost to Pitt is irrelevant in the 5-7 bowl conversation. All that matters is graduation rates and we are well ahead of Pitt. That said, it seems highly unlikely that we would get a 5-7 bowl spot as it looks like there will be enough 6 team wins to fill all the bowls.

-Jason "beat Wake!!" Evans

Wander
11-25-2017, 07:03 PM
Bye Alabama. The more I look at Alabama’s schedule, the more I think Wisconsin, Miami, and Clemson would all be safe if they win out - they’d all have better wins than Alabama, plus a conference championship. Alabama could still make it if there are upsets, though.

Tripping William
11-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Bye Alabama. The more I look at Alabama’s schedule, the more I think Wisconsin, Miami, and Clemson would all be safe if they win out - they’d all have better wins than Alabama, plus a conference championship. Alabama could still make it if there are upsets, though.

Miami and Clemson aren’t going to win out. Even if Clemson beats SCAR tonight.

But, yeah, Bama needs some chaos to have any shot.

ipatent
11-25-2017, 07:15 PM

I think Alabama will get in with one loss.

SoCalDukeFan
11-25-2017, 07:19 PM

There is no way Alabama should be in the Final Four. Sure they only have one loss but they play such a weak schedule. They schedule 3 non-conference cupcakes at home, 1 non-conference team at a neutral site and 8 conference games, 4 at home and 4 away. The neutral site team was FSU, who is 5-6. In conference they beat Vandy, Ark, Tenn which like FSU were way down this year. Home wins against Colorado State, Fresno State and my gosh Mercer should not be used to improve their resume.

Each year Alabama has very few losses, but they play less competitive games than most other top schools. Some conferences play 9 games and some teams have a rivalry game against a non-conference team who is competitive.

No matter what happens the rest of the way the Committee should say "Sorry Alabama, with that weak non-conference schedule and with not winning your division of the SEC, you are OUT OF CONSIDERATION.

SoCal

Wander
11-25-2017, 07:27 PM
No matter what happens the rest of the way the Committee should say "Sorry Alabama, with that weak non-conference schedule and with not winning your division of the SEC, you are OUT OF CONSIDERATION.

Fresno State isn’t a cupcake. But yes, Alabama shouldn’t be in if there are no more big upsets.

Olympic Fan
11-25-2017, 07:27 PM
I think Alabama will get in with one loss.

With just a little help. But then need a little help. As it stands,

(1) Wisconsin gets in if they beat Ohio State

(2) the ACC champion gets in (unless South Carolina upsets Clemson tonight)

(3) Oklahoma gets in if they win the Big 12 title game

(4) Georgia gets in if they win the SEC title game ... does Auburn get in ahead of Bama if they win the title? I think so (since they just beat Bama head to head and they would have a conference title -- both are major criteria)

Now, if Ohio State upsets Wisconsin, then I think that opens up a spot for Bama. If Oklahoma loses to TCU, that gives Bama a spot. If SC upsets Clemson tonight, then Clemson beats Miami, that opens up a spot.

If I were on the committee, I'd be very skeptical of Bama. Great program, great tradition, but an amazingly thin resume. Their best wins are Mississippi State and LSU -- neither will be in the final top 15/ Not their fault that Florida State flopped, but that was going to be their signature win.

ipatent
11-25-2017, 07:41 PM

(4) Georgia gets in if they win the SEC title game ... does Auburn get in ahead of Bama if they win the title? I think so (since they just beat Bama head to head and they would have a conference title -- both are major criteria)

I'd take Alabama over the SEC Championship game winner. They put up a better showing against Auburn than Georgia did, and Auburn has two losses. Alabama's one loss is less damaging than Clemson's or Oklahoma's...on the road in a rivalry game against a top 5 team (next week's rankings).

Wouldn't be surprised if Clemson has a tough game on its hands tonight.

Olympic Fan
11-25-2017, 07:49 PM
I'd take Alabama over the SEC Championship game winner. They put up a better showing against Auburn than Georgia did, and Auburn has two losses. Alabama's one loss is less damaging than Clemson's or Oklahoma's...on the road in a rivalry game against a top 5 team (next week's rankings).

Maybe, but conference championship is supposed to be a major criteria ... and there's little else on its resume to suggest Alabama deserves a spot without a title.

But the committee did take Ohio State a year ago over Big Ten champ Penn State (which beat OSU head to head). However, I would argue that Ohio State had a MUCH better resume than Bama does this year ... they beat Oklahoma, Michigan and the rest of the strong Big Ten East. Bama has been hurt by the demise of the SEC West.

SoCalDukeFan
11-25-2017, 07:54 PM

One of the Auburn's losses was AT Clemson. Alabama never ever schedules a game like that. Sure they only have one loss but when you have schedule fewer competitive games than you should have fewer losses.

SoCal

PackMan97
11-25-2017, 08:20 PM
don't know where to put this, but incredibly disappointed State didn't take a shot at the endzone at the end of the game.

Suck it cheaters! May you rot in the filth of your own lies!

Olympic Fan
11-26-2017, 12:28 AM

First, you are wrong about Clemson's game with South Carolina -- the Tigers crushed an eight-win South Carolina team in Columbia.

Second, I don't agree with your comment about Alabama putting up a better showing against Auburn than Georgia did ... while that's true at the moment, the only way Georgia stays in the discussion for the playoffs is if the Bulldogs BEAT Auburn in the SEC title game. That would be a better showing against Auburn than what Alabama did (and to be honest, Bama looked awfully inept in the fourth quarter of that game).

After Saturday's game, I still insist that it's simple:

The SEC champion gets one playoff spot
The ACC champion gets one playoff spot
Wisconsin gets one playoff spot if the Badgers beat Ohio State in the Big Ten title game
Oklahoma gets one playoff spot if the Sooners beat TCU in the Big 12 title game

If Wisconsin or Oklahoma lose, then Alabama will get a spot. If both lose, then Alabama and Ohio State get the last two spots.

davekay1971
11-26-2017, 07:38 AM
don't know where to put this, but incredibly disappointed State didn't take a shot at the endzone at the end of the game.

Suck it cheaters! May you rot in the filth of your own lies!

I'm with you. First of all, congrats to the Pack on a fantastic football season. Capping it off by beating the cheats is always nice. Capping it off by running Hines right up the middle for a salt-in-the-wounds up-yours touchdown would have been even better.

arnie
11-26-2017, 08:05 AM
First, you are wrong about Clemson's game with South Carolina -- the Tigers crushed an eight-win South Carolina team in Columbia.

Second, I don't agree with your comment about Alabama putting up a better showing against Auburn than Georgia did ... while that's true at the moment, the only way Georgia stays in the discussion for the playoffs is if the Bulldogs BEAT Auburn in the SEC title game. That would be a better showing against Auburn than what Alabama did (and to be honest, Bama looked awfully inept in the fourth quarter of that game).

Wisconsin gets one playoff spot if the Badgers beat Ohio State in the Big Ten title game

If Wisconsin or Oklahoma lose, then Alabama will get a spot. If both lose, then Alabama and Ohio State get the last two spots.

This summary hits the target. The entitled BIG will go nuts when OKlahoma wins, Bama goes ahead of OSU and I see their commissioner asking a judge to intervene. Will be great entertainment if this goes down.

More importantly, if you had to guess, which bowl game will Duke be in?

OldPhiKap
11-26-2017, 08:18 AM

I agree with this, although if tOSU beats Whisky I think they get in ahead of Alabama. Not saying I would agree, but I think that happens before two SEC teams get in.

budwom
11-26-2017, 08:50 AM
not sure that Wisconsin is all that good, but they control their destiny vs tOSU and the ever psychotic Urban Meyer who is launching an "all out" investigation into finding the cameraman who
bumped into Barrett's knee...articles up now by lawyers concerning what criminal charges could be brought if the act was intentional...seriously? Does Urban think equally psychotic Harbaugh put out a
hit on his QB? Very bizarre story at this point...

sagegrouse
11-26-2017, 08:56 AM
I agree with this, although if tOSU beats Whisky I think they get in ahead of Alabama. Not saying I would agree, but I think that happens before two SEC teams get in.

This is a tough job for the CFP selection committee, and the members will earn their presumably exorbitant pay (yes, I am so-o-o-o-o jealous).

I believe an SEC champ Auburn gets in ahead of Alabama because of the convincing head-to-head win and Alabama's weak schedule. If Clemson loses, the ACC could bet shut out because Miami's then 12-1 record contains numerous close calls against weaker teams. If Ohio State wins, would the Big Ten get stiffed? I'd love to see it, but the uproar would be huge. Stiffing the Big 12 seems to be a normal course for the committee, and the yelling and screaming from OK and TX doesn't seem to carry the same weight. And, is there even a scenario where a PAC 12 team is likely to get picked for the CFP?

I know this post makes no sense, but I feel so much better after posting it.

vick
11-26-2017, 09:19 AM
This is a tough job for the CFP selection committee, and the members will earn their presumably exorbitant pay (yes, I am so-o-o-o-o jealous).

I believe an SEC champ Auburn gets in ahead of Alabama because of the convincing head-to-head win and Alabama's weak schedule. If Clemson loses, the ACC could bet shut out because Miami's then 12-1 record contains numerous close calls against weaker teams. If Ohio State wins, would the Big Ten get stiffed? I'd love to see it, but the uproar would be huge. Stiffing the Big 12 seems to be a normal course for the committee, and the yelling and screaming from OK and TX doesn't seem to carry the same weight. And, is there even a scenario where a PAC 12 team is likely to get picked for the CFP?

I think Miami wins and they’re in. Yes, they aren’t likely one of the four best teams—actually the three best might very well be Alabama, PSU, and OSU, none of whom may get in—but the committee has shown a pretty strong tendency toward a “strength of record” (i.e. wins and losses, not margin of victory) view of the world. I think this is right, even if it means the “best four” teams don’t necessarily make it.

I also understand why they’re huge underdogs to get in, but...why should Georgia be automatically out if they lose to Auburn? Is going 11-0 against everyone else, 0-2 against Auburn really massively worse than 11-0 against everyone else, 0-1 against Auburn (like Alabama)? I like 538 but that seems like more than the <1% odds it gives if Georgia loses—I would bet with 100-1 odds on it.

budwom
11-26-2017, 09:26 AM
College football is wonderfully unpredictable, but I'll be fall down stunned if Miami beats Clemmons. I don't think it will be close.

arnie
11-26-2017, 10:07 AM
not sure that Wisconsin is all that good, but they control their destiny vs tOSU and the ever psychotic Urban Meyer who is launching an "all out" investigation into finding the cameraman who
bumped into Barrett's knee...articles up now by lawyers concerning what criminal charges could be brought if the act was intentional...seriously? Does Urban think equally psychotic Harbaugh put out a
hit on his QB? Very bizarre story at this point...

Isn’t Wisconsin’s best win the same as Duke’s - Northwestern? Their division in the BIG is very weak, they avoided OSU and Penn State and don’t I recall a solid/good OOC win.

Don’t think they can beat OSU, but if so, will be huge dogs in their 1st playoff game.

dukelifer
11-26-2017, 10:25 AM

I think if you ignore the middle 6 games - Duke has a case for getting in.

JasonEvans
11-26-2017, 11:17 AM
A couple things...

First of all, I don't care what 538's odds say, the winner of the Auburn-Ga game and the winner of the Miami-Clemson game will make the playoff. Period, end of story. Frankly, those two teams should be #1 and #2 (even if it is Auburn, who has 2 losses) because of the quality of their wins.

If Alabama makes it, I will be furious. They played a terribly weak schedule. Yeah, they blew the doors off of most of the teams on that schedule, but they still did not test themselves against decent opponents. The only good team they played, Auburn, they lost to convincingly. When your best win is either Miss St or LSU, you just aren't playing good enough teams to make the playoff. The Committee needs to send a message about playing a tough schedule and they can do that by not letting Alabama in.

But, perhaps most importantly, the Tide would get into the playoff because they did not have to play a conference title game. Look at Alabama's record versus Georgia's? Both lost convincingly to Auburn, but that is their only loss. Georgia's win over Notre Dame at Notre Dame, is far more impressive than anything on Bama's schedule. And yet if Ga were at home next week and Bama were playing Auburn for the SEC title, can you imagine anyone saying Georgia deserved a spot in the playoff?

Keep Alabama out, I say, even if it means putting the loser of Clemson-Miami in (both of whom have far better wins on their resume than anything Alabama has done).

-Jason "ACC Champ, SEC Champ are in... the other two could go to Oklahoma, Wisconsin, or several other teams. If Notre Dame had beaten Stanford last night, I would have argued for them as a potential participant if Wisconsin and/or Oklahoma lost" Evans

dragoneye776
11-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Everyone seems to assume that if TCU or OSU wins, 11-1 Alabama will get in over them. But would 11-1 Alabama get in over a 11-2 Clemson that narrowly loses to Miami in the title game?

This week Clemson will be #1 in CFB rankings (beating ranked Auburn, VTech, NCState, South Carolina, etc). Would a close loss to Miami knock them down below Alabama? That's like penalizing a team for even playing in their conference championship.

Edit: I see that JasonEvans and I share the same sentiment and posted at nearly the exact same time :)

jimsumner
11-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Clemson's early-season win over Auburn looks better and better every day.

vick
11-26-2017, 11:32 AM
If Alabama makes it, I will be furious. They played a terribly weak schedule. Yeah, they blew the doors off of most of the teams on that schedule, but they still did not test themselves against decent opponents. The only good team they played, Auburn, they lost to convincingly. When your best win is either Miss St or LSU, you just aren't playing good enough teams to make the playoff. The Committee needs to send a message about playing a tough schedule and they can do that by not letting Alabama in.

I wouldn’t vote in Alabama either, but they in fact scheduled the #3 team in the country on a neutral field, beating them soundly. I guess it’s sort of their fault FSU turned out to be so bad, given how they beat up on their Heisman-contender QB all game...

Wander
11-26-2017, 11:41 AM
If Clemson loses, the ACC could bet shut out because Miami's then 12-1 record contains numerous close calls against weaker teams.

I think you guys are making the mistake of evaluating these teams in a vacuum. Yes, in an arbitrary year, we might think Miami is in trouble for their close calls against inferior teams or Alabama would have no shot because of relative lack of great wins. But you have to compare them to the specific teams they'll be contending with this year. There's just no reasonable case for anyone to jump Miami if they win the ACC championship.

I agree with most of you saying that the SEC champ and ACC champ automatically get in, and Oklahoma and Wisconsin too if they win. The only ambiguity comes if Oklahoma and/or Wisconsin lose. Then we'll be arguing about Alabama, Ohio State, and the ACC championship game loser. You guys are right to point out that Ohio State, Clemson, or Miami would have far better wins than Alabama - but they will also have far worse losses. So it'll be pretty subjective and you could probably reasonably make a case for any of them.

Wander
11-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Also, we haven't talked about UCF much in this thread. I assume that's because we all agree they will be no where close to the Top 4. But, it will still be interesting to see how high they go. It sucks that their game against Georgia Tech was canceled because of the hurricanes (lower case h). Georgia Tech is obviously not a great team, but they played three playoff contenders in Georgia, Miami, and Clemson, so we could have at least compared UCF's margin of victory to those three teams.

Would be a huge bummer if UCF ends up as the only undefeated team and beats Ohio State or whoever in the bowl game - wasn't part of the reason of having the playoff in the first place to address these types of situations?

- Wan "expand the playoff!" der

vick
11-26-2017, 12:14 PM
I think you guys are making the mistake of evaluating these teams in a vacuum. Yes, in an arbitrary year, we might think Miami is in trouble for their close calls against inferior teams or Alabama would have no shot because of relative lack of great wins. But you have to compare them to the specific teams they'll be contending with this year. There's just no reasonable case for anyone to jump Miami if they win the ACC championship.

I agree with most of you saying that the SEC champ and ACC champ automatically get in, and Oklahoma and Wisconsin too if they win. The only ambiguity comes if Oklahoma and/or Wisconsin lose. Then we'll be arguing about Alabama, Ohio State, and the ACC championship game loser. You guys are right to point out that Ohio State, Clemson, or Miami would have far better wins than Alabama - but they will also have far worse losses. So it'll be pretty subjective and you could probably reasonably make a case for any of them.

I doubt Miami has much of a chance in this scenario. What would be the argument for Miami over Georgia (who absolutely no one is talking about if they lose) if Auburn wins the SEC and Miami loses? Clemson’s win over Auburn gives them a shot, but I think Miami basically has to win to get in.

richardjackson199
11-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Also, we haven't talked about UCF much in this thread. I assume that's because we all agree they will be no where close to the Top 4. But, it will still be interesting to see how high they go. It sucks that their game against Georgia Tech was canceled because of the hurricanes (lower case h). Georgia Tech is obviously not a great team, but they played three playoff contenders in Georgia, Miami, and Clemson, so we could have at least compared UCF's margin of victory to those three teams.

Would be a huge bummer if UCF ends up as the only undefeated team and beats Ohio State or whoever in the bowl game - wasn't part of the reason of having the playoff in the first place to address these types of situations?

- Wan "expand the playoff!" der

Yeah and 5-6 Georgia Tech really thinks it sucks that this game got cancelled. They had a bad 1 point loss to Tennessee, close 2 point loss to Miami, played Clemson, played Georgia for their last game, and had this game cancelled. They showed by beating Va Tech and close game vs Miami that they maybe could have beaten UCF and made a bowl.

I'm glad they didn't and thrilled we beat them on senior day. It's just that after we lost 6 in a row at Army and Ga Tech beat the Hokies, I never would have guessed we would end up with better year than them. They must be feeling snakebitten.

richardjackson199
11-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Now, if Ohio State upsets Wisconsin, then I think that opens up a spot for Bama. If Oklahoma loses to TCU, that gives Bama a spot. If SC upsets Clemson tonight, then Clemson beats Miami, that opens up a spot.

If I were on the committee, I'd be very skeptical of Bama. Great program, great tradition, but an amazingly thin resume. Their best wins are Mississippi State and LSU -- neither will be in the final top 15/ Not their fault that Florida State flopped, but that was going to be their signature win.

Yep, it's just tough to see it any other way than this. I'd spork if I could.

Oh there will be plenty of debate no matter what. Like what if Georgia, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma win their conference championship and Miami barely edges Clemson. Some SEC types will push for Alabama over Miami for that 4th spot arguing that loss at Auburn in Iron Bowl is nowhere near the bad loss that Miami had to Pitt. They would still argue that Miami is just not 1 of the top 4 (or maybe even 8) teams in the nation. Miami's wins over ND and Va Tech also look alot worse now than they did at the time. If Alabama was chosen for that playoff spot over Miami, Alabama would still probably be Vegas favorite to win it all.

Most deserving team - of course not. If that all happened and Bama was taken over Miami JasonEvans head might explode along with the rest of the ACC, and we would be right.

Of course Miami should get in over Bama for all the reasons articulated all over the board. But stranger things have happened.

ipatent
11-26-2017, 01:05 PM
A couple things...

First of all, I don't care what 538's odds say, the winner of the Auburn-Ga game and the winner of the Miami-Clemson game will make the playoff. Period, end of story. Frankly, those two teams should be #1 and #2 (even if it is Auburn, who has 2 losses) because of the quality of their wins.

Not sure that's a fair assessment. Alabama didn't know that FSU would implode this year, and traditionally the teams in their division are much stronger. Does anyone really think they aren't one of the four best teams? I'd take them over an Auburn team with two losses, even with the head to head loss. It was a road game.

If Alabama was chosen for that playoff spot over Miami, Alabama would still probably be Vegas favorite to win it all.

That says it all in my mind.

richardjackson199
11-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Not sure that's a fair assessment. Alabama didn't know that FSU would implode this year, and traditionally the teams in their division are much stronger. Does anyone really think they aren't one of the four best teams? I'd take them over an Auburn team with two losses, even with the head to head loss. It was a road game.

That says it all in my mind.

It's interesting. I think Bama is one of the four best teams. But they haven't proven that they are with their resume, and that means everything. They should not just get in as the second SEC team in a 4 team playoff just because they're Bama.

A major reason for having conference championships and a committee to evaluate resumes is to get the 4 most deserving teams into the playoff.

I actually don't think it's Bama's fault their resume may not be deserving now. They don't play the schedule Clemson does, but I'm sure pre-season they thought their schedule would be more than enough if they only had 1 loss.

It just shows why we need an 8 team playoff. How fun would that be?

ipatent
11-26-2017, 02:30 PM
It's interesting. I think Bama is one of the four best teams. But they haven't proven that they are with their resume, and that means everything.

Computer rankings take strength of schedule and margin of victory into account and they still have Alabama as #1. See Sagarin, for example. http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

An eight team playoff would be great. Probably just a matter of time before it happens because of the revenue potential of the extra games.

AustinDevil
11-26-2017, 03:06 PM
It just shows why we need an 8 team playoff. How fun would that be?

This. If the FCS schools can handle a 24-team, five-round playoff schedule then FBS can handle 8 teams and three rounds. And the unfairness of being the first team out is far less magnified for #9 than it is for #5. Never mind that the UCF-du-jour would also get a shot in an 8-team field, which makes sense as well.

The committee, annoyingly, would probably be given more $$$ rather than less, but that’s about the only downside I can think of.

Olympic Fan
11-26-2017, 03:10 PM
I seem to remember that when the four-team playoff was approved, it was with a stipulation that an expanded playoff could not be considered for 10 years. Somebody check me on this.

I agree that an eight-team playoff would be a big improvement. You could give automatic bids to the five conference champions, then have a committee pick the final three. One slot for a non-P5 team if they reach a certain ranking in the CFA rankings.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-26-2017, 03:24 PM
To me, the idea that the 4 best teams should get in is dead wrong. The "neutral field" argument is also dead wrong. These are arguments that largely remove the objective data of wins and losses in favor of subjective "data" like style points. I mean, if you're just going to decide that Alabama is one of the 4 best teams because they're Alabama, why even play the games?

If Miami loses to Clemson, then everybody was right about Miami, and they don't deserve to make it to the CFP. And obviously won't.

However, if Miami beats a #1 Clemson team, there is no EFFING way you can put Alabama in above them.

Alabama's best win is either a 14 point home win against #17 LSU or a 7 point road win against #24 Mississippi St.

Miami would have a neutral field win against a top 5 or 6 Clemson team, and two home blowouts against #15 Notre Dame and #22 Virginia Tech. Not to mention a conference championship. And a significantly stronger strength of schedule (Miami's is 33 now, Alabama 46, but Miami's will go up a bunch following the Clemson game).

It shouldn't matter if you or I believe Alabama or OSU or whoever else is better than Miami. You have to go by the resume, and Miami would have a stronger resume. Period.

PackMan97
11-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Alabama has been living on the Strength of Schedule from the SEC for a very long time. Scheduling one tough OOC game and the rest cream puffs. Problem is, their strong OOC game because a bad game (see FSU this year) and they didn't play any of the stronger SEC teams this year leaving their SoS weak.

It's simple, play a tougher schedule. End of story. No sympathy for Albama on this one. Leave them out.

Wander
11-26-2017, 04:06 PM
Scheduling one tough OOC game and the rest cream puffs.

I assume you mean Fresno State is the tough game and Florida State is one of the cream puffs, right?

I totally get the frustration with Alabama, but some of you guys are letting your dislike of them get in the way. If no upsets happen, they deserve to be left out. But if Wisconsin and/or Oklahoma loses, they should be a serious contender because they don't have a bad loss like Miami, Clemson, and Ohio State do.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-26-2017, 05:28 PM
I assume you mean Fresno State is the tough game and Florida State is one of the cream puffs, right?

I totally get the frustration with Alabama, but some of you guys are letting your dislike of them get in the way. If no upsets happen, they deserve to be left out. But if Wisconsin and/or Oklahoma loses, they should be a serious contender because they don't have a bad loss like Miami, Clemson, and Ohio State do.

They would deserve it over one loss Wisconsin or two loss Oklahoma, probably. Alabama and Wisconsin would basically have the same resume with similar SOS, no conference championship, and Alabama's loss would probably be perceived as slightly better. Oklahoma would have better wins and a better SOS, but I don't think would outweigh two losses. Plus, if you just dropped a game to TCU--which isn't even in the playoff argument--then you really have no leg to stand on.

SoCalDukeFan
11-26-2017, 06:30 PM

My problem with Alabama, especially this year, is that they play only a few games where they have a reasonable chance of losing. They played 4 true road games and one was Vandy and they lost one to Auburn. So by my reckoning they had two decent road wins and one of those was A and M who just fired their coach.

While I will admit that the Pac 10 is not the strongest conference but USC and Stanford are meeting for the conference championship. Both have 9 conference games and Notre Dame every year. While all the conference teams are not super good, all would be favored over Mercer and most would be over Vandy. Next year USC goes to Austin to play Texas. Alabama NEVER plays a non-conference road game. The Committee needs to keep them out of the tournament and tell Saban that until the non-conference schedule improves they are out unless they win the SEC. Next year they play Louisville (who will have a new QB) in Orlando and Arkansas-State, Louisiana-Lafayette, and The Citadel at home as their non-conference games. They basically game the system.

Other teams play schedule more competitive games. I mentioned the Pac 12. If Georgia beats Auburn I would still put Auburn oner Alabama in the tournament as Auburn beat Alabama and because one of Auburn's losses was on the road at Clemson. OK and Ohio State are playing a home and home. More power to them.

I would think that the SEC and ACC champs are in, and hope OK and Whisky win and then should be in. If OK and Wisconsin win and Alabama gets in ahead of them, then the system is a farce.

SoCal

arnie
11-26-2017, 06:35 PM
My problem with Alabama, especially this year, is that they play only a few games where they have a reasonable chance of losing. They played 4 true road games and one was Vandy and they lost one to Auburn. So by my reckoning they had two decent road wins and one of those was A and M who just fired their coach.

While I will admit that the Pac 10 is not the strongest conference but USC and Stanford are meeting for the conference championship. Both have 9 conference games and Notre Dame every year. While all the conference teams are not super good, all would be favored over Mercer and most would be over Vandy. Next year USC goes to Austin to play Texas. Alabama NEVER plays a non-conference road game. The Committee needs to keep them out of the tournament and tell Saban that until the non-conference schedule improves they are out unless they win the SEC. Next year they play Louisville (who will have a new QB) in Orlando and Arkansas-State, Louisiana-Lafayette, and The Citadel at home as their non-conference games. They basically game the system.

Other teams play schedule more competitive games. I mentioned the Pac 12. If Georgia beats Auburn I would still put Auburn oner Alabama in the tournament as Auburn beat Alabama and because one of Auburn's losses was on the road at Clemson. OK and Ohio State are playing a home and home. More power to them.

I would think that the SEC and ACC champs are in, and hope OK and Whisky win and then should be in. If OK and Wisconsin win and Alabama gets in ahead of them, then the system is a farce.

SoCal

Alabama OOC schedule stiffens up considerably in 2019 when they open with DUKE in Atlanta😆

ipatent
11-26-2017, 06:36 PM
However, if Miami beats a #1 Clemson team, there is no EFFING way you can put Alabama in above them.

Alabama has blown out most of its opponents and Miami had a number of squeakers, including against FSU, which Alabama handled easily. Pitt was a worse loss than the Auburn game. Which is why the computer rankings still have Bama at #1.

Does anyone think Miami would be favored head to head against Alabama?

Olympic Fan
11-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Alabama has blown out most of its opponents and Miami had a number of squeakers, including against FSU, which Alabama handled easily. Pitt was a worse loss than the Auburn game. Which is why the computer rankings still have Bama at #1.

Does anyone think Miami would be favored head to head against Alabama?

And just what does that have to do with anything?

BD80
11-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Alabama OOC schedule stiffens up considerably in 2019 when they open with DUKE in Atlanta😆

Wow, Bama out of the championship discussion after the first weekend! So sad :D