PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Cameron, Cameron!

Native
09-01-2017, 08:20 PM
The #3 overall player in the class of 2018 commits to Duke (http://chron.it/2iR7XdN)!

dukefan_828
09-01-2017, 08:26 PM
:):)

TKG
09-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Adrian Woj is launching an investigation on behalf of Calipari.

DangerDevil
09-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Doesn't the title of this thread have to be "Welcome to Cameron, Cameron"?

OZZIE4DUKE
09-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Welcome Cameron! It's not everyone who gets to play in a building named after him! Er, to play in a building you're named after! LGD GTHc!

Native
09-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Doesn't the title of this thread have to be "Welcome to Cameron, Cameron"?

As you wish!

NashvilleDevil
09-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Adrian Woj is launching an investigation on behalf of Calipari.

Did Calipari think by simply being the USA coach K got a "bump" in recruiting? Doesn't he know you have to win?

OldPhiKap
09-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Welcome!

Dukehky
09-01-2017, 08:32 PM
This dude is awesome. I wrote this in the 2018 Recruiting Thread. He probably SHOULD be the number 1 recruit in this class. I think he's better than Zion right now, and is just behind Barrett. Everything with him comes down to motor, which has improved a lot over the past year. We just got a really good one here. Pretty sure Scheyer was the lead guy on this recruitment. Way to go Jon!

DangerDevil
09-01-2017, 08:37 PM
As you wish!

I like it! 😃

kAzE
09-01-2017, 08:47 PM
2018 seems to be shaping up like another historic class. Welcome to Duke, Cam!

weezie
09-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Well, this cheers me up considerably. Welcome to young Cameron!

Indoor66
09-01-2017, 08:52 PM
How tall is he?

nmduke2001
09-01-2017, 08:57 PM
How tall is he?

6'-7". Can play small forward or either guard spot in a pinch.

TKG
09-01-2017, 08:58 PM
How tall is he?

6'7".... 6'8"

Indoor66
09-01-2017, 09:00 PM

Thanks.

MChambers
09-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Cinder blocks, please.

kcduke75
09-01-2017, 09:02 PM
How tall is he?

12.375 cinder blocks, why?

Olympic Fan
09-01-2017, 09:11 PM
Here's the official announcement (with a built in tease for Kentucky fans):

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/cameron-reddish-college-basketball-decision/

GREAT prospect who can create his shot, handle like a guard and who LOVES to play defense. I'd say very similar to Brandon Ingram, except Reddish is stronger.

(after JJ, I have to make myself type Reddish and not Redish. Forgive me if I slip and revert to JJ's spelling-- Redick with the one d).

NSDukeFan
09-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Yay 😊

TKG
09-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Did Calipari think by simply being the USA coach K got a "bump" in recruiting? Doesn't he know you have to win?

As we know, with Cal it's not about winning championships it's all about getting the kids to the next level. In this case, the next level is Duke. Job well done, Cal. Hell, I am surprised Cal did not make an appearance in Cam's announcement video as it is similar to the draft.

miramar
09-01-2017, 10:33 PM
No wonder he didn't choose UNC.

sagegrouse
09-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Here it goes:

"I'm going somewhere that I can be challenged as a leader, challenged as a student, challenged to grow up, on and off the court," Reddish said in a video on The Players' Tribune. "And that's why I'll be attending Duke University."

Billy Dat
09-02-2017, 12:15 AM
Welcome to Duke, Cameron. I thought your video was great and those traits you value will make you a valuable part of the community.

WHOneedsSOX
09-02-2017, 02:12 AM
He doesn't really look all that athletic to me. I know the rest of his game is there but he looks a bit slow and his vertical looks very unimpressive.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-02-2017, 06:17 AM
He doesn't really look all that athletic to me. I know the rest of his game is there but he looks a bit slow and his vertical looks very unimpressive.
I thought this was the "Welcome" thread. Or were you being saracastic?

Welcome, Cameron! Great choice young man! Can't wait to see you in true blue.

Bob Green
09-02-2017, 06:20 AM
Great news to start the day with! Welcome! The versatility he will bring on the court as a 6'7" small forward/shooting guard with a point guard handle is intriguing.

superdave
09-02-2017, 07:36 AM
I love this quote leading off the article at ACCSports: "Duke’s scoring ability is at its best when the Blue Devils have a strong point guard and a stretch-4 forward on his way to the NBA.
Even before the 2017-18 season starts, the Blue Devils already have the players to fill those roles lined up for the 2018-19 season."

https://accsports.com/acc-news/basketball/reddish-joins-jones-giving-duke-a-solid-start-for-the-2018-recruiting-class/?utm_source=Newsletter+Subscribers&utm_campaign=1cf454b434-5_star_prospect_commits_to_Duke8_13_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_83e57a83c5-1cf454b434-112344817&mc_cid=1cf454b434&mc_eid=7f07036823

slower
09-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Just watched some highlights. Very smooth and very skilled. Tracy McGrady comp doesn't seem like a stretch, at least stylistically.

dukelifer
09-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Doesn't look all that athletic? Wow. You must have a high bar. The kid can score from anywhere on the floor. That is athletic enough.

evrim
09-02-2017, 09:29 AM
The thing I really liked from the stuff I watched is that despite being super talented, he is not selfish and he communicates really well!

rsvman
09-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the family. We are very happy to have you!

Troublemaker
09-02-2017, 09:53 AM

I can sort of see what you're saying, although it's overstated, imo. As an NBA prospect, it seems true that his size and length are more impressive than his athleticism. So, if he projects as a ball-handling guard/wing at the NBA level, he would rate as a 10/10 for size and length at that projection, a 7/10 for athleticism, and a 6/10 for skill at this point. (I'm a credentialed youtube scout ;-).

I wish I could post his AAU and high school stats like I usually do in these "Welcome" threads, but his AAU stats are behind a login(paywall?) at this point, and I can't find a good source for his high school stats.

In any case, welcome to Cameron, Cameron!!! This youtube scout is very excited to have you.

summerwind03
09-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Happy to have you, Cameron! And happy belated birthday (he turned 18 yesterday)!

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Did you hear how humble and hungry he was in his announcement video?

This is exactly the kind of kid I want at Duke. He describes himself as a work in progress. But he is very willing to work and grow. His parents sound on board with that.

We'll only have him for 1 year. But it's safe to bet he makes the most of it on the court, off the court, and in the classroom. It's safe to bet that we'll be very happy with what he brings to our team. He's a perfect addition to the brotherhood, it's clear he really wanted to be at Duke, and I could not be more thrilled to land him.

Welcome to Cameron, Cameron!

kAzE
09-02-2017, 11:13 AM

You're joking, right? I'd like to see a slow guy with no vertical do this: https://youtu.be/c28Pq6Smo-4?t=51

I think this kid looks awesome and should easily be a lottery pick. He's currently #3 on NBADraft.net's 2019 mock.

UrinalCake
09-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Awesome pickup and great that he committed so early. He and Jones are a great start to the class.

What I've read and heard about Reddish is that he has all the physical tools you could ask for in a wing, but that he doesn't always play hard. This is a reputation that he's been carrying around for a while. Has anyone else heard this? Honestly it kind of reminds me of what some recruiting gurus said about Bolden coming out of high school, that his so-called "motor" was a concern. Hopefully this will work itself out and he'll be able to prove the critics wrong. Sounds like he should be a perfect fit in our system as a versatile wing who can do a little bit of everything.

Neals384
09-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Hi, Cameron, welcome to Duke. Love your game, awesome passer! What number do you like better, 1 or 22?

Troublemaker
09-02-2017, 11:31 AM
I wish I could post his AAU and high school stats like I usually do in these "Welcome" threads, but his AAU stats are behind a login(paywall?) at this point, and I can't find a good source for his high school stats.

Wait, here are the AAU stats (Nike EYBL): http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/17820787?subseason=380949

http://i.imgur.com/TrpFbLD.png

He just needs to become more efficient from 3, which probably has to do with shot selection. On the other tabs, he's grabbing 7.6 rebounds/g and has a 3.1 to 2.4 assist to turnover ratio. Which is pretty good for a high-schooler who's toying with being a point guard but probably isn't one.

moonpie23
09-02-2017, 12:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ

let's rock...

kAzE
09-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Hi, Cameron, welcome to Duke. Love your game, awesome passer! What number do you like better, 1 or 22?

Neither, hopefully. 22 is retired, and our history of the #1 jersey has been short and injury plagued: Kyrie, Jabari (not at Duke, but for sure after), Harry Giles. Let's stop letting guys wear #1 . . . .

Actually, #0 has been pretty stellar so far. Wouldn't mind more guys putting on that 0.

kAzE
09-02-2017, 12:54 PM
How mad do you guys think Calipari is right now?

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketbal-recruiting-cameron-reddish-calipari-usa

Here's an article from two months ago.

Here's a quote: "John Calipari has made no secret of his infatuation with Cameron Reddish. Now, after almost three weeks of the 5-star forward playing for Kentucky’s coach on Team USA at the FIBA U19 World Cup, that interest is increasingly mutual."

I wouldn't be shocked if that loss to Canada cost UK both Cam Reddish and RJ Barrett ;)

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 01:13 PM

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketbal-recruiting-cameron-reddish-calipari-usa

Here's a quote: "John Calipari has made no secret of his infatuation with Cameron Reddish. Now, after almost three weeks of the 5-star forward playing for Kentucky’s coach on Team USA at the FIBA U19 World Cup, that interest is increasingly mutual."

I wouldn't be shocked if that loss to Canada cost UK both Cam Reddish and RJ Barrett ;)

You can bet that loss increased Calipari's infatuation with and prioritization of landing Barrett.

I'll be beyond ecstatic if K can beat Cal out for both.

Dukehky
09-02-2017, 02:05 PM
You can bet that loss increased Calipari's infatuation with and prioritization of landing Barrett.

I'll be beyond ecstatic if K can beat Cal out for both.

UK doesn't scare me for Barrett.

Listen to the Sam Vicenie podcast called Game Theory a few weeks ago that talks about the 2018 recruiting class. The stuff they say about Barrett... it made me think of Duke. That's not necessarily a sure thing, but I think we're in a really good spot with that guy.

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 02:52 PM
UK doesn't scare me for Barrett.

Listen to the Sam Vicenie podcast called Game Theory a few weeks ago that talks about the 2018 recruiting class. The stuff they say about Barrett... it made me think of Duke. That's not necessarily a sure thing, but I think we're in a really good spot with that guy.

Thanks I'll check it out.

I sure hope you're right. If Calipari is involved, he always scares me until they announce for us. But I think Cal is more scared of K, and he should be. Who wouldn't want to play for our living legend coach in the best basketball conference?

I agree we seem to be in a good spot for Barrett. I really hope that landing Reddish does not lower our probability of landing R.J. It could in theory since they both play the positionless point-forward position. But I'm loving everybody's optimism that it really could work - multiple versatile wing guards can certainly dominate together.

But if a top-4 guy like Reddish really wants to play for you, you say yes.

If you get your cake and eat it too with Reddish and Barrett, then wow.

Certainly don't get the 40-0 tattoo just yet. But maybe start comparing tattoo shop reviews just in case.

Indoor66
09-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Certainly don't get the 40-0 tattoo just yet. But maybe start comparing tattoo shop reviews just in case.

Very bad karma 👆 there!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Very bad karma 👆 there!

I am confused. Are we disproportionately overconfident about this year or next year? I need to know.

Indoor66
09-02-2017, 03:29 PM
I am confused. Are we disproportionately overconfident about this year or next year? I need to know.

Both when you bring up 40 - 0!

richardjackson199
09-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Both when you bring up 40 - 0!

I think as long as we're talking 80-0 we're ok. The karma circles all the way back around to good things happening at that point. :cool:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2017, 03:40 PM
I think as long as we're talking 80-0 we're ok. The karma circles all the way back around to good things happening at that point. :cool:

I would be okay with K ending his career on an 80 game win streak. Would take some cajones to get THAT tattoo.

DukieInBrasil
09-02-2017, 03:56 PM
I would be okay with K ending his career on an 80 game win streak. Would take some cajones to get THAT tattoo.
cojones. cajones = big boxes

NashvilleDevil
09-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Just stay healthy. That's all I ask for the next two years.

sagegrouse
09-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Cajunes - pretty women who speak a French-English dialect, as in "Allons, go-go!".

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2017, 06:18 PM

Danced autocorrect. Can't even pretend that I intended to talk about having a system of large cardboard containers for my tattoo plan.

757Dukie
09-02-2017, 10:05 PM

Anyone check out the comments section of that article? Seems like Mr. Thornton can't/won't let it go

jimsumner
09-03-2017, 12:03 AM

Last year?

kAzE
09-03-2017, 01:10 AM
Anyone check out the comments section of that article? Seems like Mr. Thornton can't/won't let it go

Wow, I wonder if that's really Derryck's dad?

LasVegas
09-03-2017, 02:18 AM
Wow, I wonder if that's really Derryck's dad?

Sure looks like his Facebook profile. Posts go back really really really far.

sagegrouse
09-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Sure looks like his Facebook profile. Posts go back really really really far.

Because Derryck transferred, I suppose that the either he or the family was not happy with Duke. Lessee.... played in all 36 games... 20 starts... 26 minutes per game. Stat line 7.1/1.8/2.6 ... shooting: 39.0 percent.

So, we are to conclude, that he wasn't featured in the offense, and -- therefore -- was not able to become a one-and-done. The family solution: transfer and take at least three years to get an NBA contract.

Gee, I don't know, Tank, but wouldn't Derryck have played better than Frank Jackson in 2018, and isn't Frank (despite his lamentable injury) drawing an NBA paycheck under a three-year contract?** Wouldn't Derryck have been a better NBA prospect than Frank? Then why delay his entry to the NBA by sitting out a year?

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
** There's a rumor out there that Frank's contract could be affected by re-injuring his right foot, which was operated on after last season, through a "carve-out" in his contract with the Pelicans.

flyingdutchdevil
09-05-2017, 10:59 AM
OMG. I know everyone here loves Barrett, but I'm so excited about Reddish. He can play 4 positions in high school and 4 positions at Duke. He's very perimeter-oriented, but my goodness he is long and already has a solid frame. If Ingram can succeed at the 4 at Duke, Reddish definitely can.

I love Reddish's game. He's not a point forward but he is great at passing. He can lead the fast break. He can hit the 3. He can easily takeover the game in a variety of ways. He may not be the scorer Tatum is, but he's a lot more versatile. And his athleticism is underrated (he's no Zion, but I'm not sure anyone in the last 5-10 years is as athletic as Zion).

The biggest knock on Reddish is his "motor", or lack thereof. He's not credited with taking over games or always playing hard 100% of the time. And this is why I love him at Duke. Because no coach is better than Coach K at motivating his players.

Reddish will be the most talented player on our '18-'19 team. He'll also be OAD, but I don't think that will surprise anyone.

devilnfla
09-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Reddish will be the most talented player on our '18-'19 team. He'll also be OAD, but I don't think that will surprise anyone.

Not if RJ Barrett commits.

kAzE
09-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Not if RJ Barrett commits.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Anybody who can almost single-handedly take down Team USA at any level (especially when the other player in question was playing for Team USA in that game) gets the benefit of the doubt with me as the most talented. Even if we're talking about NBA potential, Barrett looks just as good, if not better. He's got that killer instinct the talking heads are always raving about.

But it doesn't matter. Reddish is right there with Barrett, and we can get them both, hopefully.

killerleft
09-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with this. Anybody who can almost single-handedly take down Team USA at any level (especially when the other player in question was playing for Team USA in that game) gets the benefit of the doubt with me as the most talented. Even if we're talking about NBA potential, Barrett looks just as good, if not better. He's got that killer instinct the talking heads are always raving about.

But it doesn't matter. Reddish is right there with Barrett, and we can get them both, hopefully.

This is what Duke Women's fans thought when we got Angela Salvadores. She scored 40 on the US Under 17s, although her team didn't win. Rome apples to Granny Smith apples, maybe, but there is a lesson about expectations in there somewhere.

kAzE
09-05-2017, 01:11 PM
This is what Duke Women's fans thought when we got Angela Salvadores. She scored 40 on the US Under 17s, although her team didn't win. Rome apples to Granny Smith apples, maybe, but there is a lesson about expectations in there somewhere.

No doubt. I'm just saying, Barrett almost has to be rated higher as of right now given what we've seen. And at least to me, it does matter that he lead Canada to victory over USA. That's a major accomplishment. Scoring big and losing isn't nearly as impressive, most of the time. Usually means you scored at the expense of your team's success.

flyingdutchdevil
09-05-2017, 01:17 PM
No doubt, I'm just saying, Barrett almost has to rated higher as of right now given what we've seen. And at least to me, it does matter that he lead Canada to victory over USA. That's a major accomplishment.

And he is. Barrett has the best combination between talent and hunger (and the reputation for Zion is that he has the hunger but not the talent and Reddish has the talent but not the hunger).

IMO, if Reddish has the same level of motor as Barrett, I give the edge to Reddish. But it's a big "if".

El_Diablo
03-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Here's a really nice in-depth piece on Cam Reddish:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766532-duke-recruit-cam-reddish-is-going-to-be-a-star-but-not-the-kind-youre-used-to?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

MrPoon
03-27-2018, 07:00 PM
Here's a really nice in-depth piece on Cam Reddish:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766532-duke-recruit-cam-reddish-is-going-to-be-a-star-but-not-the-kind-youre-used-to?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Great article! Thanks for sharing. I am no draft expert but I think Cam is going to shock people at how good he is and K is the perfect coach for him. From what I can see, Zion doesn’t seem to mind the spotlight so it might be the perfect dynamic to have the two on the same team. I HATE talking about next season in March but I can’t wait to see these pieces fit together.

jv001
03-28-2018, 12:07 AM
I watched Cameron in the three point shooting contest yesterday and he had a slow release on his 3 point shot. I don't know if that's how he shoots it in game conditions or not. Someone that's seen him play would probably know. I would be interested in that information. With him being 6'7", it might not make that much difference anyway. GoDuke!

OZ
03-28-2018, 09:53 AM
I watched Cameron in the three point shooting contest yesterday and he had a slow release on his 3 point shot. I don't know if that's how he shoots it in game conditions or not. Someone that's seen him play would probably know. I would be interested in that information. With him being 6'7", it might not make that much difference anyway. GoDuke!

It was a contest where the number of made goals wins. I thought he was just being deliberate. Actually, there was no need to rush it..and it worked!