PDA

View Full Version : Coach K polled as most powerful in college basketball

blUDAYvil
09-01-2017, 12:09 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-who-is-the-most-powerful-person-in-all-of-college-basketball/

3 Duke products among the top 10.

Some polarizing anonymous comments.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-01-2017, 12:59 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-who-is-the-most-powerful-person-in-all-of-college-basketball/

3 Duke products among the top 10.

Some polarizing anonymous comments.

No one else is even close. Not surprising.

IrishDevil
09-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Yeah, that second comment re: K was so similar to the sort of garbage usually found on IC, I got that same sort "now I need another shower" feeling.

I get the idea that someone can have influence with the NCAA, a conference, or with the public, and see how K's tenure and accomplishments give his opinions weight in those arenas, but I am curious to know what "juice at Nike" means in this context, especially since it was referenced repeatedly. K can ask Nike for a shirt to commemorate a championship (like he has to)? Or is this supposed to be influence over shoe company-sponsored AAU teams, assuming the dubious idea that those sponsorships somehow create AAU to college pipelines? With my limited understanding as a fan, this either seems irrelevant or implies something underhanded.

Billy Dat
09-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Or is this supposed to be influence over shoe company-sponsored AAU teams, assuming the dubious idea that those sponsorships somehow create AAU to college pipelines? With my limited understanding as a fan, this either seems irrelevant or implies something underhanded.

Kevin Durant did a "Ask me Anything" podcast with Bill Simmons in the past week. In part 2, one of the fan submitted questions was, "Why don't more blue chip DMV kids go to Maryland?" Durant, a DMV product himself (Prince George's country represent), said very simply, "Maryland is an Under Armour school and most of the best kids are with Nike AAU teams so they go to Nike schools". I don't think the idea is dubious at all, I think it's a fact.

My take on the kind of grudging comments, informed only through what I read as I have zero inside access to anything college basketball related, is that K is from an earlier generation and isn't as close to the majority of younger coaches. In addition, since he kind of put up the walls around himself in the mid 90s, he doesn't have a "let's drink beers" relationship with the guys in the under 60 set, the same way that Cal does, or Bill Self does. While I think he has everyone's utmost respect, I don't think they see him as a peer the same way that they see Cal, and I think they generally think he's too self righteous. When you read the coaches comment's, so much is attributed to his Team USA standing, as if he didn't somehow earn it, and there are a few comments that say he is copying Cal. Even the comments about Scheyer, in one of the other CBS 'Candid Coaches' series, talks more about how he is riding the Duke rep rather than his own skills and effort. The only person who gives K his proper due is the author, Gary Parrish, in his closing paragraph. Whatever, haters gonna hate, and we can all celebrate!

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Swofford must have looked at this and ordered a hit on Bilas.