PDA

View Full Version : Frank Jackson broke his foot

lmb
09-01-2017, 10:08 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730808-pelicans-rookie-frank-jackson-to-undergo-surgery-for-foot-injury

It's the same one he had surgery on after the season. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. I hope he keeps his chin up through this setback.

BD80
09-01-2017, 10:16 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730808-pelicans-rookie-frank-jackson-to-undergo-surgery-for-foot-injury

It's the same one he had surgery on after the season. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. I hope he keeps his chin up through this setback.

It's over

dukelifer
09-01-2017, 10:24 AM
It's over

Hope it is not a chronic issue for him. He could lose a whole season from this which is not great when trying to get that next contract.

OldPhiKap
09-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

MChambers
09-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Wait, he declared for the daft, right?

Seriously, tough break for Frank. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

Tripping William
09-01-2017, 10:48 AM

Literally. In the Jim Sumner sense.

Hope he heals quickly. I'm sure he's extremely frustrated about it.

DukieInBrasil
09-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Do the Pels give Quinn another chance? They're familiar with him, he's familiar with them. Seems like the logical thing to do.

richardjackson199
09-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Hope it is not a chronic issue for him. He could lose a whole season from this which is not great when trying to get that next contract.

True, but I bet he and his family are very thankful he got that first guaranteed contract with the 2nd round pick.

atoomer0881
09-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Do the Pels give Quinn another chance? They're familiar with him, he's familiar with them. Seems like the logical thing to do.

Quinn signed a 2 year contract with the Hawks so I'm thinking the Pels are out of luck in that regard.

DukieInBrasil
09-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Quinn signed a 2 year contract with the Hawks so I'm thinking the Pels are out of luck in that regard.

right. i did a google search of "Quinn Cook NBA 2017" and the contract withe Hawks didn't come up, so my concussion-addled brain was unable to remember that the Hawks scooped Quinn up. Thanks for the reminder.

sagegrouse
09-01-2017, 11:10 AM
right. i did a google search of "Quinn Cook NBA 2017" and the contract withe Hawks didn't come up, so my concussion-addled brain was unable to remember that the Hawks scooped Quinn up. Thanks for the reminder.
I think Quinn still has to make the team with the Hawks.

From CBS Sports on August 20:

Cook signed a two-year, partially guaranteed contract with the Hawks on Sunday, Shams Charania of Yahoo! Sports reports.

Cook split the 2016-17 campaign between the Pelicans and Mavericks, averaging a combined 12.3 minutes between the two, which limited his impact in fantasy leagues. He did most of damage in the D-League, averaging an impressive 26.0 points, 6.7 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 1.1 steals. After being waived by the Pelicans in July, Cook will now get his shot with the Hawks, though the fact that he's on a partially guaranteed contract means he's not a lock to make the regular-season roster. He'll battle for a spot during training camp.

Spanarkel
09-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Maybe the shoes shouldn't be so light.

https://twitter.com/FWJackson15/status/896039408134127616

BD80
09-01-2017, 11:32 AM

Literally. In the Jim Sumner sense.

Hope he heals quickly. I'm sure he's extremely frustrated about it.

Heels quickly? Talk about getting off on the wrong foot ...

Tripping William
09-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Heels quickly? Talk about getting off on the wrong foot ...

Sometimes I toe the line; sometimes I don't . . . .

SlapTheFloor
09-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Does every post on this forum have to devolve into a pun-fest? We're talking about an injury to a former player, and you're making jokes. Have you no sole?

Jeffrey
09-01-2017, 11:48 AM
It's over

It's been over. Troublemaker never had a chance.

blUDAYvil
09-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Some do think he was daft for declaring

IrishDevil
09-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Does every post on this forum have to devolve into a pun-fest? We're talking about an injury to a former player, and you're making jokes. Have you no sole?

Sorry to read that a simple pun r-ankles you so.

moonpie23
09-01-2017, 02:49 PM
bummer for frank...hope he recovers soon

dukechem
09-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Maybe the shoes shouldn't be so light.

https://twitter.com/FWJackson15/status/896039408134127616

Sometimes it is the shoes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/the-most-peculiar-injury-risk-in-college-football-10-hours-a-day-in-dress-shoes/2017/08/30/c77f70a8-8ce8-11e7-91d5-ab4e4bb76a3a_story.html?utm_term=.c8fc9361d0bb

subzero02
09-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Hopefully the injury bug is done biting Frank. I think he has a chance to develop into a great player if he can stay healthy.

kAzE
09-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Damn . . . get well soon, Frank. That's a big time bummer :(

Hopefully he can make a full recovery in time to get on the court for the upcoming season. He's got a lot of potential, and it will be fun to see what he can do playing with those all-star big men on the Pelicans.

Green Wave Dukie
09-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Sorry to read that a simple pun r-ankles you so.

Well, Irish Devil, I guess you toed him

bedeviled
09-01-2017, 07:10 PM
True, but I bet he and his family are very thankful he got that first guaranteed contract with the 2nd round pick.There is a prior-injury exclusion clause in the "guaranteed" contract. (https://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=45630538&nid=294&title=former-lone-peak-new-orleans-frank-jackson-breaks-foot-will-undergo-surgery) Per ESPN, "New Orleans can eliminate or reduce the compensation owed based on his current injury."

ETA: Had to go to hometown (Salt Lake) source to find an article thorough enough to talus the whole story

richardjackson199
09-01-2017, 07:48 PM
There is a prior-injury exclusion clause in the "guaranteed" contract. (https://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=45630538&nid=294&title=former-lone-peak-new-orleans-frank-jackson-breaks-foot-will-undergo-surgery) Per ESPN, "New Orleans can eliminate or reduce the compensation owed based on his current injury."

ETA: Had to go to hometown (Salt Lake) source to find an article thorough enough to talus the whole story

Talk about adding insult to injury.

Best wishes to a full and speedy recovery to Frank

kAzE
09-03-2017, 12:19 PM
There is a prior-injury exclusion clause in the "guaranteed" contract. (https://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=45630538&nid=294&title=former-lone-peak-new-orleans-frank-jackson-breaks-foot-will-undergo-surgery) Per ESPN, "New Orleans can eliminate or reduce the compensation owed based on his current injury."

Wow, that is brutal. Rooting for Frank to come back better than ever ASAP. Given this news, could returning to Duke and becoming a near lock for the 2018 first round have been a better long term decision financially?

I'm not second guessing Frank's decision, I still think it was the right decision at the time. No one could predict a serious injury like this. However, this might become a case study for future guys considering going pro after 1 year when being projected as a 2nd rounder. 2nd round contracts are not guaranteed and come with a huge amount of risk, as Frank has unfortunately learned the hard way.

Possible moral of the story: stay in school until you're a first rounder?

OldPhiKap
09-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Possible moral of the story: stay in school until you're a first rounder?

Flip side is, you get injured again in college and don't make the NBA at all.

Hoping for a full recovery and a nice career.

moonpie23
09-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Flip side is, you get injured again in college and don't make the NBA at all.

Hoping for a full recovery and a nice career.

as to that, is frank's deal guaranteed? if so, how much will he earn while he's hurt?

JasonEvans
09-05-2017, 01:31 AM
as to that, is frank's deal guaranteed? if so, how much will he earn while he's hurt?

The first 2 years of his contract are fully guaranteed ($815k in year one, $1.37 mil in year two) as well as $500k of his year 3 salary (which will be $1.6 mil if the Pelicans pick it up). However, the foot injury could complicate that as it is on the same foot he hurt prior to the NBA Draft. As a result, the Pelicans could probably void much, if not all, of his contract on a technicality.

However, my bet is that there is almost no chance of them doing that. Frank was the first pick of the 2nd round and that means the NBA thinks he has a decent future. There's a reason they gave him a 2+ year guarantee when most non-1st round rookies get little-to-nothing guaranteed. Unless the Pelicans believe Frank's right foot injuries could hamper his entire career, they are probably going to pay him (his contact is tiny by NBA standards) and wait while he recovers.

-Jason "even if New Orleans sours on him, he would have trade value" Evans

golfinesquire
09-05-2017, 06:40 AM
The first 2 years of his contract are fully guaranteed ($815k in year one, $1.37 mil in year two) as well as $500k of his year 3 salary (which will be $1.6 mil if the Pelicans pick it up). However, the foot injury could complicate that as it is on the same foot he hurt prior to the NBA Draft. As a result, the Pelicans could probably void much, if not all, of his contract on a technicality.

However, my bet is that there is almost no chance of them doing that. Frank was the first pick of the 2nd round and that means the NBA thinks he has a decent future. There's a reason they gave him a 2+ year guarantee when most non-1st round rookies get little-to-nothing guaranteed. Unless the Pelicans believe Frank's right foot injuries could hamper his entire career, they are probably going to pay him (his contact is tiny by NBA standards) and wait while he recovers.

-Jason "even if New Orleans sours on him, he would have trade value" Evans

I believe he has an exclusion clause in the contract that allows the Pelicans to reduce their pay,ents to him if he has a recurring injury in that foot so this could cost him.