PDA

View Full Version : CBS Candid Coaches: Jon Scheyer to become a coaching star?

atoomer0881
09-01-2017, 09:24 AM
The CBS Candid Coaches series' most recent article yesterday asked the question: Which assistant is most likely to be a very successful head coach? (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-assistant-is-most-likely-to-be-a-very-successful-head-coach/)

Our very own Jon Scheyer came in at #1 with 13.9% of coaches saying they think he will "become a coaching star someday."

Said one coach:

"Jon has always been able to relate as a teammate: Winning a national championship, leading his team as a senior, then coming back and coaching. He's recruited great guys. He's been doing this now for five years. The experience he's had, winning a national championship at Duke, playing professionally, coming back -- that's something most guys don't have."

Obviously all of us here love Jon, but it's nice to see that he's getting the same kind of recognition in and around the league! He was always one of my favorite players, and he's certainly become one of my favorite coaches.

flyingdutchdevil
09-01-2017, 09:37 AM
The CBS Candid Coaches series' most recent article yesterday asked the question: Which assistant is most likely to be a very successful head coach? (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-assistant-is-most-likely-to-be-a-very-successful-head-coach/)

Our very own Jon Scheyer came in at #1 with 13.9% of coaches saying they think he will "become a coaching star someday."

Said one coach:

Obviously all of us here love Jon, but it's nice to see that he's getting the same kind of recognition in and around the league! He was always one of my favorite players, and he's certainly become one of my favorite coaches.

Wow. A little shocked Capel wasn't mentioned. I didn't know that Scheyer had such an amazing rep. Good for him!

dchen09
09-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Wow. A little shocked Capel wasn't mentioned. I didn't know that Scheyer had such an amazing rep. Good for him!

It's recognition for younger assistants, so those with prior head coaching experience were not included.

Troublemaker
09-01-2017, 10:00 AM

Probably some combination of (a) pollees only thinking of assistants that haven't been head coaches yet and (b) Capel's previous stint at Oklahoma ending poorly.

atoomer0881
09-01-2017, 10:28 AM

I also didn't know he had such an amazing rep around the league. So yea, it's nice to see that how we feel about him here within the Duke community is being replicated throughout the country.

BD80
09-01-2017, 10:29 AM

It's recognition for younger assistants, so those with prior head coaching experience were not included.

But Capel wasn't listed in the few names also mentioned as former coaches who will make a successful return. Odd, I would have thought that Capel's recruiting prowess would have earned him higher respect.

flyingdutchdevil
09-01-2017, 12:29 PM
But Capel wasn't listed in the few names also mentioned as former coaches who will make a successful return. Odd, I would have thought that Capel's recruiting prowess would have earned him higher respect.

Yeah...the jury is still out on Capel as an Xs & Os coach. IMO, I think he still has a loooooooong way to go. But recruiting? He's probably better than 99.5% of D1 head coaches in that department. The man can recruit.

wilson
09-01-2017, 12:37 PM
I just hope he will make the appropriate face when confronting poor officiating, boneheaded decision-making, etc.

flyingdutchdevil
09-01-2017, 12:38 PM
I just hope he will make the appropriate face when confronting poor officiating, boneheaded decision-making, etc.

the hilarity of Scheyer-face - the one thing Duke fans and Carolina fans can agree on.

swood1000
09-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Candid Coaches has also named Coach K as the most powerful person in all of college basketball (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-who-is-the-most-powerful-person-in-all-of-college-basketball/).

camion
09-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Candid Coaches has also named Coach K as the most powerful person in all of college basketball (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-who-is-the-most-powerful-person-in-all-of-college-basketball/).

And by extension we are the most powerful bulletin board since he takes our advice so often. :D