PDA

View Full Version : Justin Robinson gets scholarship surprise

JNort
08-31-2017, 09:21 PM
J-Rob got a scholarship and his teammates were on hand to congratulate him.

Check out @DukeMBB's Tweet: https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/902320884681252866?s=01

Love seeing the guys all get loose and have fun like that.

UrinalCake
08-31-2017, 10:23 PM
Awesome to see the teammates' reactions, and that they had planned this all out. I know some people may say it's not a big deal that Robinson got a scholarship since his dad is rich, but I think it is noteworthy that the staff and players recognize his contributions and value to the team. I just listened to his interview on Scheyer's podcast and he sounds like a tremendous asset to the team, guarding the likes of Ingram and Tatum every day and practice and busting his butt in the weight room while setting an example for the younger players.

JNort
08-31-2017, 10:46 PM
Awesome to see the teammates' reactions, and that they had planned this all out. I know some people may say it's not a big deal that Robinson got a scholarship since his dad is rich, but I think it is noteworthy that the staff and players recognize his contributions and value to the team. I just listened to his interview on Scheyer's podcast and he sounds like a tremendous asset to the team, guarding the likes of Ingram and Tatum every day and practice and busting his butt in the weight room while setting an example for the younger players.

Honestly I thought this very thing but who cares. It's gotta go to someone and why not reward a guy for hardwork. Rewards shouldn't be held off just because of who his parents are. This let's him know he earned something with his hard work and dedication and that will ultimately mean more than anything else.

It's also great to see how much the team loves the guy and how they all genuinely enjoyed seeing him succeed.

weezie
08-31-2017, 11:58 PM
Aaawww, so nice! And Justin looks great! Strong and chiseled. Must be working hard!

gep
09-01-2017, 01:29 AM

Remembering Marshall's senior speech, and his "hearf-felt, tearful" tribute to J-Rob...:cool:

Billy Dat
09-01-2017, 09:58 AM

I agree with this and the interview is well worth listening to. It reminded me how important the non one-and-dones are to the program. But, despite his tenure, Robinson seems like a kid who is really impacting the culture of the program, he seems universally beloved. The first part of the pod, with Wendell, is also well worth checking out as Scheyer digs up pages from a high school play he was in and makes him run lines. Classic.

Neals384
09-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Very cool video. It's not about the money, it's about recognition and respect for his hard work.

Jeffrey
09-01-2017, 12:12 PM
I know some people may say it's not a big deal that Robinson got a scholarship since his dad is rich...

Honestly I thought this very thing but who cares.

His dad will pay it forward! I've lost track of how many scholarships he has rewarded. My good friends have worked closely with him making a substantial improvement in many children's futures.

IMO, Duke was certain to love Justin. IMO, his family is extremely impressive and a perfect addition to the Duke family.

jimsumner
09-01-2017, 12:19 PM
This is not really a surprise. Duke has 12 recruited players on scholarship, hence an available schollie. They've done this with Robinson and other walk-ons in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

Ggallagher
12-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Just a heads up for anyone that's interested in learning a little bit more about Justin's dad. I just watched the episode of Joe Buck's "Undeniable" sports interview program in which he talks with David Robinson.

He always struck me as a pretty impressive person, and the deeper insight into his background and priorities definitely reinforced that.

The series is on the Audience Channel on Direct TV. Listening to Robinson was an hour well spent.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Just a heads up for anyone that's interested in learning a little bit more about Justin's dad. I just watched the episode of Joe Buck's "Undeniable" sports interview program in which he talks with David Robinson.

He always struck me as a pretty impressive person, and the deeper insight into his background and priorities definitely reinforced that.

The series is on the Audience Channel on Direct TV. Listening to Robinson was an hour well spent.

I remember him getting a great view of this:

https://youtu.be/IKcHmXQUnrk

mgtr
12-07-2017, 09:31 PM
So how far is Justin Robinson and his dad from Lonzo Ball and his dad? Quality will out every time!

Rich
12-07-2017, 10:08 PM

Great memories...I was at that game! 1986 NCAA Regional game at the Meadowlands. ROAD TRIP!

Ggallagher
12-07-2017, 10:33 PM
So how far is Justin Robinson and his dad from Lonzo Ball and his dad? Quality will out every time!

Very, very far. When you hear David talk about his relationship with his dad as well as his activities with his children, you get a very un-Ball story. Quality worked well for the Robinsons.

devildeac
12-07-2017, 10:50 PM

Abandon ship!

BD80
12-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Very, very far. When you hear David talk about his relationship with his dad as well as his activities with his children, you get a very un-Ball story. Quality worked well for the Robinsons.

But you better not call Justin a Duke kind of kid or the Admiral a Duke kind of parent, that would stir up trouble around here.

flyingdutchdevil
12-08-2017, 09:14 AM
But you better not call Justin a Duke kind of kid or the Admiral a Duke kind of parent, that would stir up trouble around here.

In fairness, Justin is the son of a former NBAer. And given our history of NBA offspring playing for Duke, I'd say he's a Duke kind of kid :D

OldPhiKap
12-08-2017, 09:55 AM
In fairness, Justin is the son of a former NBAer. And given our history of NBA offspring playing for Duke, I'd say he's a Duke kind of kid :D

Not to mention the children of football players (Calvin Hill)

RPS
12-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Abandon ship!For those who may not remember, that was an Elite Eight game in the Meadowlands. Before the game, the Midshipmen held up an enormous banner that read, "Nuke Duke." When JD threw down that reverse jam, we Duke fans responded as indicated.

Great memory.