PDA

View Full Version : UCon't be serious

Methodistman
03-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Anybody else find it curious how UConn will make the NIT if it is lucky, but all the talk is about the demise of Duke? Not that I want to equate UCon (notice "Con" instead of "Conn") to Duke, but I am really amazed that we aren't seeing 200+ articles on ESPN, SI, CBS, Fox, or any other sports site about the absence of UCon from the tourney this year, but yet the big surprise of us being a 7 seed in the ACC tourney. Just strikes me as curious.

vango
03-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Anybody else find it curious how UConn will make the NIT if it is lucky, but all the talk is about the demise of Duke? Not that I want to equate UCon (notice "Con" instead of "Conn") to Duke, but I am really amazed that we aren't seeing 200+ articles on ESPN, SI, CBS, Fox, or any other sports site about the absence of UCon from the tourney this year, but yet the big surprise of us being a 7 seed in the ACC tourney. Just strikes me as curious.

People love or hate Duke. Any news gets people talking. It brings in readers.
Not to say you're not correct though. I've considered that this year as well.

Even more curious is how Duke and UCon(n) seem to always be in the same situation. I mean, not always to the same extreme - but in similar situations. When we're up, they're up. When we're down a bit so are they (more than a bit this year). When they have vets we do. When we have rooks they do. We're both on target - developmentally speaking, to see each other at the top of the polls and in late March/early April in the next couple of years. Just like '04. Just like '99.

Just seems that way to me..... Maybe it's just me - looking back we seem to run into Kansas now and again. I guess it is inevitible with consistent and good programs. Just seems with UCon(n) we mirror one another to an extent every year (since '99).

Jaymf7
03-07-2007, 10:54 PM
2001 may be the exception to the rule. While we were cutting down nets, I think they were in the midst of a terrible stretch (I know they missed the NCAAs at least 1 or 2 years in there). It seems that the 'Victs are a bit more volatile than us. Their struggles this year -- after losing most of their starters and their point guard -- are pretty similar to what I would have expected for us this year if we did not have Paulus.

throatybeard
03-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Their women lost the BE Final to Rutgers. Nice.

rthomas
03-07-2007, 11:01 PM
It's not unusual for the UConvicts not to make it to the dance. They went to the NIT in O1. They choked last year. And they don't have the history of Duke. Of course the press is going to pay more attention to us.

vango
03-07-2007, 11:30 PM
2001 may be the exception to the rule. While we were cutting down nets, I think they were in the midst of a terrible stretch (I know they missed the NCAAs at least 1 or 2 years in there). It seems that the 'Victs are a bit more volatile than us. Their struggles this year -- after losing most of their starters and their point guard -- are pretty similar to what I would have expected for us this year if we did not have Paulus.

Yes, thank you. I had meant to stick that in there and got ahead of myself to '04. That was the exception.

SoCalDukeFan
03-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Did they not lose a bunch of guys to the NBA?

I think people expected a down year.

phaedrus
03-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Just like '04. Just like '99.

last year i think we were also the clear 1-2 teams in the country before the tournament started, although alas we didn't end up meeting in the finals.

zingit
03-08-2007, 01:41 AM
last year i think we were also the clear 1-2 teams in the country before the tournament started, although alas we didn't end up meeting in the finals.

Yes, that is sad, especially since I had picked us vs. UConn as the final game in my bracket last year! I seem to remember reading a J.J. Redick interview somewhere that if we made it to the title match, he'd most like it to be against UConn. Ah, if only . . .

Someone a while back told me that she thought UConn was our biggest non-conference rival. I wasn't so sure about that (maybe it is true only in recent years) or even that we have a non-conference rival. Thoughts?

Methodistman
03-08-2007, 06:00 AM
OK - I understand they lost a lot of guys, but do not forget that this UCon team was ranked as high as 8 in the ESPN/USA Today poll this year. I got so sick of hearing how great Thabeet was.

By the way, did we not lose a couple of pretty decent players this past year?

drion97
03-08-2007, 10:43 AM
UCONN's now NIT bound at best, after a down and rebuilding year. There's a small headline on ESPN, and any TV coverage was more about the Cuse getting a needed win than UCONN's season.

When Duke has a losing steak and fell out of the rankings it was HUGE news (or at least treated as such by ESPN). Now, I don't mind that at all-- you're a great team if you're making headlines for having "just a pretty good year".

But why the silence on UCONN's year? I bet they've been in the tourney at least 9 of the last 10 years, and their last ten years is probably the only one that comes close to Duke's.

Is is because they're more obviously young and rebuilding? Because ESPN is in Conn? Because there's covering Duke, and then covering everyone else?

For seemingly similar situations, I wouldn't expect the same coverage, but I'm surprised how different it's been.

jimsumner
03-08-2007, 10:49 AM
"When Duke has a losing steak and fell out of the rankings it was HUGE news (or at least treated as such by ESPN)."

I would take this as a compliment.

jimsumner
03-08-2007, 10:55 AM
" wasn't so sure about that (maybe it is true only in recent years) or even that we have a non-conference rival. Thoughts?"

The folks in Kentucky sure seem to think they're Duke's rival.

bluebear
03-08-2007, 11:15 AM
"When Duke has a losing steak and fell out of the rankings it was HUGE news (or at least treated as such by ESPN)."

I would take this as a compliment.

Exactly..even all the articles, polls, etc. this week post-incident..in an "off" year, Duke has still been one of the most (if not the most) talked about teams this season...

phaedrus
03-08-2007, 11:37 AM
illinois actually has the second-most wins this decade (since 2000) after us. they are likely nit-bound as well.

throatybeard
03-08-2007, 12:11 PM
I love how this is a "bad" year for us, and K's still got a great shot to win 25 games. At that rate, Dean's in the crosshairs in 4 seasons.

mph
03-08-2007, 02:44 PM
UCONN's now NIT bound at best, after a down and rebuilding year. There's a small headline on ESPN, and any TV coverage was more about the Cuse getting a needed win than UCONN's season.

When Duke has a losing steak and fell out of the rankings it was HUGE news (or at least treated as such by ESPN). Now, I don't mind that at all-- you're a great team if you're making headlines for having "just a pretty good year".

But why the silence on UCONN's year? I bet they've been in the tourney at least 9 of the last 10 years, and their last ten years is probably the only one that comes close to Duke's.

Is is because they're more obviously young and rebuilding? Because ESPN is in Conn? Because there's covering Duke, and then covering everyone else?

For seemingly similar situations, I wouldn't expect the same coverage, but I'm surprised how different it's been.

I think the answer is simple, and it doesn't involve a conspiracy on the part of ESPN. Duke has established itself as the premier basketball program over the last two decades. Since 1996, even our down years weren't down.
Winning breeds resentment and people have been waiting a long time for us to lose. When it looked like there was even the slightest chance we'd miss the tournament, it's natural that people would begin to talk.

That's why I say it's a complement. I remember Dale Earnhardt once said that he didn't mind people booing him. As long as they boo or cheer, you're winning and you're relevant. It's when they're silent that you know you are in trouble.

BluBones
03-08-2007, 03:07 PM
It's a huge compliment. No one would bother hating Duke if we hadn't been so dominant for so long. Think: when Duke loses it's huge news. When UConn loses it's not news at all. Which school would you rather be?

Cameron
03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
With the class A cheater they have working up in Storrs, it won't be long before he has put together another Final Four squad. (Perhaps they just took the season off to concentrate on the laptop ring???)

Indoor66
03-08-2007, 03:25 PM

When starting out, ESPN carried the Big East. They grew up together. The Big East and its teams get a pass from ESPN on about everything. Listen to their announcers and their near-schilling for the Big East.

hurleyfor3
03-08-2007, 03:35 PM
That's why I say it's a complement. I remember Dale Earnhardt once said that he didn't mind people booing him. As long as they boo or cheer, you're winning and you're relevant. It's when they're silent that you know you are in trouble.

Those of us who generate four-page threads whenever Greg Doily spews his kneejerk lapdog claptrap might want to remember this.

jimsumner
03-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Good point. I think Greg is from the Boss Tweed school. Tweed ran Tammany Hall. He once told the New York press "Boys I don't care what you say about me, as long as you spell my name right."

I guarantee you Doyel (see, I spelled his name right) doesn't mind the criticism as long as his site gets the hits.

mph
03-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Those of us who generate four-page threads whenever Greg Doily spews his kneejerk lapdog claptrap might want to remember this.

Although that thread wasn't primarily about Doyel. It was about K's reaction to Doyel.