PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 8-29-17

jimsumner
08-29-2017, 02:17 PM
Yep. That time of year again.

It even feels like autumn.

Duke's depth chart lists 11 true freshmen!!

Now, some of these are special-teams backups and likely won't play.

Still, that's a lot.

When asked if that suggested good things about the freshmen or bad things about the vets, Cut, not surprisingly backed the former option. The coaches knew that the incoming class was good but didn't know they were going to be that good, that quickly.

The only true freshman listed as first team is DE Victor Dimukeje. Drew Jordan is listed as second-team DE and Derrick Tangelo as second-team DT. DT Axel Nyembwe is not listed on the two-deep but Cut indicated he might play.

Jordan can rush the passer. Cut said true freshman Ben Frye was the quickest DE but he's been banged up in practice.

With Price and Boyce dismissed over the off-season and Morris forced to give up football due to knee issues, there clearly is a need for some true youngsters to step up.

Also on defense, we have Marquis Waters and Michael Carter listed as second team safeties. Derek Jones told me over the summer that Waters was the biggest surprise in the DB contingent.

Offensively, we have Rakavius Chambers (he goes by Rock) as second-team guard, Deon Jackson as fourth-team running back and Noah Gray as third-team tight end. Chambers beat out some upperclassmen and Gray is ahead of Mark Birmingham and Jake Marwede.

Cut did say that Gray would play Saturday.

Jackson is also listed as a back-up kick-off returner.

Freshman Jake Driggers is listed as first team on kick-offs but Cut contradicted that afterwards, saying Austin Parker would kick off.

Jackson Hubbard is listed as back-up punter but Cut said that Parker Boehme was Austin Parker's backup.

True freshman John Taylor is back-up long snapper to redshirt freshman Ben Wyatt but I can't imagine Duke will platoon snappers, so I would expect Taylor to redshirt. (Don't confuse John Taylor with freshman center Will Taylor, who's out for the season following knee surgery).

More on special teams.

Parker and Holmquist 1/2 on Pks. Might see both Saturday. Might not. Couldn't pin him down on this one. Said it's real close.

Boeheme is holder, Shaun Wilson and Lloyd the KOR tandem and T.J. Rahming number one punt returner.

Other notes.

Cut said that DT Mike Ramsay had the best spring of any defensive lineman he's had at Duke. No qualifiers.

He also praised DTs Edgar Cerenord (playing the best he's played at Duke) and Trevon McSwain.

But Quaven Ferguson is still on crutches and won't play this Saturday. Coupled with the aforementioned attrition, at least one of the true frosh has to play.

Speaking of Tangelo and Nyembwe, Cut says both are a rare bread of size (320) and quickness but need to get up to game shape.

Cut says Duke's DL pass rush should be better this season and that's the key to limiting explosives. Says Duke will be able to rotate more DEs and keep people fresh.

Ferguson may be the only key player out for Saturday. Jeremy McDuffie is practicing with a cast and isn't sitting out any drills. Should be good to go.

Mark Gilbert has earned his starting corner spot back. He went into a funk after getting toasted late last season, especially against Miami but re-dedicated himself to his craft. Cut says Gilbert "has every tool, has a chance to be special." Bryon Fields says Gilbert has a chance to be the best cornerback he's seen at Duke and Fields played with Ross Cockrell.

Rock Chambers could be something special. Austin Davis says Chambers is the best true freshman OL he's seen at Duke. And Chambers is huge, 6-3, 325. Cut says Chambers is unusually physical for a young lineman.

Both Fields and Ramsay told us that Duke was a bit complacent last fall, following its bowl win. Hungrier this year.

Cut says there is more completion than ever before and he expects the depth chart to be more fluid.

Defense ahead of the offense at this point. He wants more consistency, especially from the wide receivers, where he would like for someone other than Rahming to start separating themselves. Bracey has been healthy lately and is beginning to show his skills.

Daniel Jones says he and Rahming spent a lot of time together this summer, working on routes and timing. Jones says Duke will take more shots down field this season and is opening up the offense.

Speaking of Jones, the buy-season-ticket-Duke football billboard on the Durham Expressway coming in from Raleigh features Jones. I can't ever remember a non-senior being the face used to sell season tickets.

That's enough for now.

Cheers.

Bob Green
08-29-2017, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Jim! I always look forward to reading your comments after a Coach Cutcliffe press conference. There is a lot of information to digest but it is immediately clear a youth movement is taking place especially on defense.

devildeac
08-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Yep. That time of year again.

It even feels like autumn.

Duke's depth chart lists 11 true freshmen!!

Now, some of these are special-teams backups and likely won't play.

Still, that's a lot.

When asked if that suggested good things about the freshmen or bad things about the vets, Cut, not surprisingly backed the former option. The coaches knew that the incoming class was good but didn't know they were going to be that good, that quickly.

The only true freshman listed as first team is DE Victor Dimukeje. Drew Jordan is listed as second-team DE and Derrick Tangelo as second-team DT. DT Axel Nyembwe is not listed on the two-deep but Cut indicated he might play.

Jordan can rush the passer. Cut said true freshman Ben Frye was the quickest DE but he's been banged up in practice.

With Price and Boyce dismissed over the off-season and Morris forced to give up football due to knee issues, there clearly is a need for some true youngsters to step up.

Also on defense, we have Marquis Waters and Michael Carter listed as second team safeties. Derek Jones told me over the summer that Waters was the biggest surprise in the DB contingent.

Offensively, we have Rakavius Chambers (he goes by Rock) as second-team guard, Deon Jackson as fourth-team running back and Noah Gray as third-team tight end. Chambers beat out some upperclassmen and Gray is ahead of Mark Birmingham and Jake Marwede.

Cut did say that Gray would play Saturday.

Jackson is also listed as a back-up kick-off returner.

Freshman Jake Driggers is listed as first team on kick-offs but Cut contradicted that afterwards, saying Austin Parker would kick off.

Jackson Hubbard is listed as back-up punter but Cut said that Parker Boehme was Austin Parker's backup.

True freshman John Taylor is back-up long snapper to redshirt freshman Ben Wyatt but I can't imagine Duke will platoon snappers, so I would expect Taylor to redshirt. (Don't confuse John Taylor with freshman center Will Taylor, who's out for the season following knee surgery).

More on special teams.

Parker and Holmquist 1/2 on Pks. Might see both Saturday. Might not. Couldn't pin him down on this one. Said it's real close.

Boeheme is holder, Shaun Wilson and Lloyd the KOR tandem and T.J. Rahming number one punt returner.

Other notes.

Cut said that DT Mike Ramsay had the best spring of any defensive lineman he's had at Duke. No qualifiers.

He also praised DTs Edgar Cerenord (playing the best he's played at Duke) and Trevon McSwain.

But Quaven Ferguson is still on crutches and won't play this Saturday. Coupled with the aforementioned attrition, at least one of the true frosh has to play.

Speaking of Tangelo and Nyembwe, Cut says both are a rare bread of size (320) and quickness but need to get up to game shape.

Cut says Duke's DL pass rush should be better this season and that's the key to limiting explosives. Says Duke will be able to rotate more DEs and keep people fresh.

Ferguson may be the only key player out for Saturday. Jeremy McDuffie is practicing with a cast and isn't sitting out any drills. Should be good to go.

Mark Gilbert has earned his starting corner spot back. He went into a funk after getting toasted late last season, especially against Miami but re-dedicated himself to his craft. Cut says Gilbert "has every tool, has a chance to be special." Bryon Fields says Gilbert has a chance to be the best cornerback he's seen at Duke and Fields played with Ross Cockrell.

Rock Chambers could be something special. Austin Davis says Chambers is the best true freshman OL he's seen at Duke. And Chambers is huge, 6-3, 325. Cut says Chambers is unusually physical for a young lineman.

Both Fields and Ramsay told us that Duke was a bit complacent last fall, following its bowl win. Hungrier this year.

Cut says there is more completion than ever before and he expects the depth chart to be more fluid.

Defense ahead of the offense at this point. He wants more consistency, especially from the wide receivers, where he would like for someone other than Rahming to start separating themselves. Bracey has been healthy lately and is beginning to show his skills.

Daniel Jones says he and Rahming spent a lot of time together this summer, working on routes and timing. Jones says Duke will take more shots down field this season and is opening up the offense.

Speaking of Jones, the buy-season-ticket-Duke football billboard on the Durham Expressway coming in from Raleigh features Jones. I can't ever remember a non-senior being the face used to sell season tickets.

That's enough for now.

Cheers.

I'm gonna need a beer and a light snack to help digest all that. Thank you.

jimsumner
08-29-2017, 03:31 PM
I'm gonna need a beer and a light snack to help digest all that. Thank you.

Don't you always need a beer and a light snack? :)

Indoor66
08-29-2017, 03:39 PM

Absolutely not true, Jim. Sometimes he doesn't need a light snack! :cool:

uh_no
08-29-2017, 03:53 PM

so pumped to see him after missing every game last year!

i really hope i'm not getting my hopes up too high....bug being a student in the thad/renfree era....licking my chops

devildeac
08-29-2017, 04:08 PM

Not always. :o;)

uh_no
08-29-2017, 04:10 PM

no...sometimes it's an islay!

devildeac
08-29-2017, 04:38 PM

My waistline will attest to that fact. :p

OldPhiKap
08-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Great report Jim, thanks as always.

Less than 95 HOURS to go!!!!!!!

Avvocato
08-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Thanks Jim. So happy that these emails have started. Still digesting but real interesting that Gray is ahead of Birmingham and Marwede at TE. I'm also a little concerned that Cut is still waiting for some wide receivers to step up (other than Rahming). Let's hope this is not a season long trend. Love seeing lots of freshmen in position to contribute. Can't wait for Saturday.

chrishoke
08-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Calling Trevon Lee, come in please.

fuse
08-29-2017, 08:26 PM

I was able to spork jimsumner, and not you.

Possibly the best spork worthy post of the young football season.

A literal laugh out loud.

Cheers to the DBR community, which has an unrivaled sense of humour paired with camaraderie extraordinaire!

Dev11
08-29-2017, 09:46 PM
These are my favorite threads. I love recruiting victory threads, I love national championship threads, but I live on Duke Football Notes threads. Good to have them back, thank you Mr. Sumner.

devildeac
08-29-2017, 09:47 PM

I was able to spork jimsumner, and not you.

Possibly the best spork worthy post of the young football season.

A literal laugh out loud.

Cheers to the DBR community, which has an unrivaled sense of humour paired with camaraderie extraordinaire!

Hey, at least I didn't post a light beer and a snack. :rolleyes::o

OldPhiKap
08-29-2017, 10:02 PM
Zima and a pop tart?

fuse
08-30-2017, 06:41 AM
Zima and a pop tart?

devildeac would simply refer to that as "breakfast" :rolleyes:

Indoor66
08-30-2017, 06:48 AM

LOL! Almost spit out my Cheerios.:cool:

devildeac
08-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Zima and a pop tart?

Zima? Breakfast? Really? For mattman maybe.;)

Now, offer me one of these and a Pop Tart for breakfast and I'm all in:

Transitioning nicely back to Jim's report, if Cut's this excited about the size, speed, depth and talent of the 2017 edition of Duke football, then I'm even more anxious to get to WW and see the first game this Saturday.

Native
08-30-2017, 08:27 AM
Jones says Duke will take more shots down field this season and is opening up the offense.

https://im3.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-3-22fa63d96e.gif

budwom
08-30-2017, 08:39 AM
yeah, we threw downfield pretty poorly last year....teams learned they could get away with playing our WRs very tight. We have a number of receivers with potential to do much better, such as
Young, Lloyd, Fuller, Taylor....it's time for them to produce this year (in conjunction, of course, with Jones and the OL).

johnb
08-30-2017, 11:54 AM
A nice article from the Tufts student newspaper about Holmquist kicking for Duke... http://now.tufts.edu/articles/tufts-player-makes-duke-football-squad

sagegrouse
08-30-2017, 01:01 PM
A nice article from the Tufts student newspaper about Holmquist kicking for Duke... http://now.tufts.edu/articles/tufts-player-makes-duke-football-squad

Money quotes: "Fair use only," of course.

Holmquist’s tryout at Duke this summer was serendipitous. With a season of eligibility available due to his sophomore year injury, he was looking for a university with a good graduate business school and a football team willing to give a small-college kicker a shot. Duke’s Fuqua School of Business is one of the best in the country. Civetti, who coached at the DI level prior to coming to Tufts, had a contact at Duke. The Blue Devils, members of the Atlantic Coast Conference, were looking to improve their kicking game.

Kickers with Division III pedigrees making it in Division I has happened before, but it’s not common.

In an intra-squad scrimmage on August 19, Holmquist made an extra point and all three of his field-goal attempts, including two from more than 40 yards out. Duke head coach David Cutcliffe was impressed with Holmquist’s performance, according to a local newspaper.

“Willie has the talent and the right attitude,” Civetti said. “He’s continually improving as a kicker and has worked really hard to achieve what he has. If anyone can do it, it’s Willie.”