PDA

View Full Version : Mccallie?

fuse
08-28-2017, 06:29 PM
WRAL reporting a contract extension.

I'm not at all close to all the WBB coaching drama, and this move still has me befuddled, flabbergasted and shocked.

I'd embed a Will Ferrell Elf "shocking" video if I had any idea how :rolleyes:

uh_no
08-28-2017, 06:47 PM

I'm not at all close to all the WBB coaching drama, and this move still has me befuddled, flabbergasted and shocked.

wow. i'm not sure i will ever really be able to support her after the chronicle interview last year (not that I was ever a huge fan...)...but I admitted she did largely keep her head down last year and did a good job with the team. If she is to remain, I hope we have more of the same this year...and as always...hopefully with fewer injuries.

miramar
08-28-2017, 06:57 PM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/08/duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-p-mccallie-extended-through-2020-21

devildeac
08-28-2017, 08:02 PM

It's very short but here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_u4rlT38V4

DU82
08-28-2017, 08:29 PM
wow. i'm not sure i will ever really be able to support her after the chronicle interview last year (not that I was ever a huge fan...)...but I admitted she did largely keep her head down last year and did a good job with the team. If she is to remain, I hope we have more of the same this year...and as always...hopefully with fewer injuries.

WRAL said her contract was extended to 2020 (not sure if that's '19-'20 or '20-'21. I think it was the latter. Checking GoDuke, yes 2021.)

Last season (after the terrible interview), things appeared to change, both on the PR side (fewer tweets, in particular) and an attempt internally to act better. It appears to me that she did learn from the internal investigation, and even if the conclusion was no violations/abuse, she (or the administration) realized those methods had to change. I'm guessing watching the video of practices, which by all accounts, saved her, made her reconsider some of her methods. I sat behind the bench for the Rutgers game, and didn't see any of the "horrible" things reported by "some" who are no longer (allowed to?) post here. Some tough love for Leaonna, who was out of position and not doing what she needed to do, followed by reassurance by others on staff. Standard "bad coach good coach" treatment for the freshman. (Admittedly, a big blowout makes things much easier/nicer on the bench. But I've seen Coach K blow up during those games if the players don't do the right thing. Worse than what I saw with P and Leaonna. MUCH worse.)

After almost not renewing my tickets last year, the wise decision by the athletic dept. to cut ticket prices in half convinced me to stay. And I enjoyed the season. (Yes, having Lexie helped in that respect. A lot!)

I still think she's limited in coaching offense, but I see more communication during games among the coaches, and I think Hernando is a big asset in that area. I also noted the tweets of returning players over the season and summer (especially Abby Waner) which if previous stories were totally true, would never have happened.

grossbus
08-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Geez, we did not get out of our own building in the NCAA's.

She is just not a good enough coach to get us anywhere near a final four.

i consider this to be another Kevin White fail for DWBB.

burnspbesq
08-28-2017, 10:07 PM

Who would you rather have (among folks Duke could actually get)?

OldPhiKap
08-28-2017, 10:13 PM
I am not a close follower, but big picture:

1. Things were, um, rough under coach.
2. Kevin White met with her, did an assessment, and decided to stick with her,
3. Pretty good turn around last year.
4. White decides to extend.

Like many, I had big concerns at the end of the '15 and '16 season. Whit seems engaged in the process though, and thinks this is the way to go. He knows a Bianchieri more about it than I do. So, while I have questions, at the end of the day I'll defer to White.

Hoping for the best this season!

uh_no
08-28-2017, 10:13 PM
WRAL said her contract was extended to 2020 (not sure if that's '19-'20 or '20-'21. I think it was the latter. Checking GoDuke, yes 2021.)

Last season (after the terrible interview), things appeared to change, both on the PR side (fewer tweets, in particular) and an attempt internally to act better. It appears to me that she did learn from the internal investigation, and even if the conclusion was no violations/abuse, she (or the administration) realized those methods had to change.

while i want to agree....her interview with the chronicle did come after the investigation. maybe it was a last hurrah? we'll see.

dudog84
08-28-2017, 10:30 PM

A lot of good teams didn't make it out of the first weekend last year.

For those that don't follow, Duke lost its starting point guard in the 1st game of the weekend. Very few teams, maybe only UConn, could handle such a blow. They lost to an Oregon team that then beat #3 Maryland (coaches poll) in their next game.

The only people I want to hear from are the current ladies on the team. Lexie Brown and Becca Greenwell both graduated and could be playing pro ball right now, but came back. Lexie is on the record saying last year was the most fun she ever had playing basketball.

You want to root for something, root for a healthy season.

grossbus
08-29-2017, 08:09 AM
Who would you rather have (among folks Duke could actually get)?

We could have had Stephanie White. The coach at princeton.

dudog84
08-29-2017, 08:37 AM

Um, from what I can tell, Stephanie White never played or coached at Princeton. So I'll forgive Kevin White if he doesn't take your advice.

bob blue devil
08-29-2017, 08:44 AM
are the terms of the contract known? i mean couldn't it be like an nfl contract or an mlb contract - big big difference. not sure how good that analogy - point is, i assume we don't know what kind of flexibility is built in for duke to change course should it choose to do so.

burnspbesq
08-29-2017, 08:57 AM

Could have hads are irrelevant. We probably could have had Dawn Staley in 2007. But we didn't.

You mean the Stephanie White that has a 37-31 record in the WNBA and went 14-16 (4-12 SEC) in her first year at Vandy?

Banghart has an outstanding record and has recruited well ... in the Ivy League. There is plenty of risk involved in assuming that success will scale up to the ACC.

Dev11
08-29-2017, 11:05 AM
I take it as Duke needing to lean harder in one direction on Coach P. Either give McCallie enough slack to recruit or can her and be done with it. Keeping her on a short contract limits her ability to recruit. If they decide later to remove her, it will cost a little more, but Duke can probably afford it.

Mike Corey
08-29-2017, 11:18 AM
I think this is an unfortunate decision by our athletic administration. I'll leave it at that.

Regardless, I hope for nothing but great success on and off the court for our women's basketball program.

May the program return to the degree of greatness it once reached regularly, and right soon.

diablesseblu
08-29-2017, 11:30 AM
I think this is an unfortunate decision by our athletic administration. I'll leave it at that.

Regardless, I hope for nothing but great success on and off the court for our women's basketball program.

May the program return to the degree of greatness it once reached regularly, and right soon.

What Mike said. I wish the best for Duke, but now actively follow Princeton's WBB, and the terrific success Bella Alarie is having there and on the USA U19 team.

Class of '94
08-29-2017, 11:52 AM
I have to admit that I was surprised to read that McCallie has received an extension, especially based on her actions and the things that were said about her just a couple of years ago. With that said (and to be fair), I thought her demeanor and the way she conducted herself was a significant improvement over previous years. Maybe the HR assessment/investigation became a wake-up call for her; and she recognized the need to do some things differently. Hopefully, that is the case and Coach P as well as the program will continue to improve and progress in positive direction moving forward. As a poster noted, you have to wonder at this point who could Duke get that would be better. I continue to be one of the wishful dreamers that somehow Duke could persuade Gail to come back; but I know that is a very unrealistic possibility (but I will keep hoping for that scenario to happen).

Despite some of my misgivings toward her, I want Coach P to succeed; and I want the DWWB to grow and get back to reaching Final 4's so that one day very soon they can win national championships. I, too, am one of the ones that is not sure Coach P is the right/best person to lead the program to a Nat Championship; but I'd be the first to jump on the bandwagon and congratulate her if she were to do so.

My biggest complaint/concern about McCallie at this point (outside of some of the contentious player relationships she might have had with certain players), is that I wish she would be more diverse on defense; and have her teams be predominantly more a man to man defense while sprinkling in the match-up zone as opposed to other way around. I know playing predominantly the match-up zone while sprinkling in some man to man principles worked well for the team last year; but I personally think (jmo) that playing better man to man to go along with the zone would help the program achieve loftier goals. I remember in McCallie's very first press conference (after coming to Duke from Mich St) that at Mich St she primarily used zone because her players were limited; but coming to Duke and working with the type of players that Duke had and could recruit, she would play more man to man and had the freedom/flexibility to implore a variety of different types of defenses (and she could really push the envelope on what Duke could do defensively). That got me excited about McCallie; and what she could bring to the table. I wasn't as worried or focused on offense although I also admit that I have been taken aback by how disjointed the flow on offense has been many times under McCallie (compared to Coach G). With that said, I thought the flow on offense improved significantly last year; and hope that it continues to improve and be even better this season. I could deal with the offense better if the defense had become what Coach P said she had planned to evolve it into. For me, it's disappointing to see a Duke program that was a good to very good man to man defensive team transition to becoming a match-up zone team under McCallie. I would love to see McCallie be more creative on defense (just like she said she would be) and have the program take the next step by being better playing pressure man to man defense (in the full and half court as well as a variety of other defenses). I know her strength is zone; but I just don't think you can consistently beat the top echelon (elite) teams playing primarily match-up zone. With that said, I want to program to be successful; and am rooting for the players as well as Coach P to have a very big and successful upcoming season.

Kfanarmy
08-29-2017, 02:15 PM
I got the feeling from the article that the Chronicle staff aren't to excited about the extension. She sure has changed the expectations of the Duke women's BB performance in the past dozen years or so years: "Earlier this month, the Blue Devils went 2-1 on an exhibition trip to Italy and will be looking to make a second straight NCAA tournament appearance this season." IMO, a combination of bad luck with injuries, personality conflicts, and limited offensive schemes have chipped away at the fan base. For whatever reason, there has been a "negative vibe" surrounding the program...hopefully it will get turned around this year.

jimsumner
08-29-2017, 02:30 PM
In all candor, I was a bit surprised by this. I was told by several sources that McCallie wouldn't be fired but her contract would not be renewed when it expired.

So, I'm not sure how to interpret a one-year extension except as a short-term recruiting boost.

Certainly, her public persona last season showed an improvement and it must have shown an improvement behind the scenes. The team did seem more cohesive and harmonious last season.

Consider me agnostic on this. If it works, great. If it doesn't, take the appropriate steps.

But the talent level is really pretty high this year, especially with the late addition of Davalos and the return to health of Gorecki. If Lambert can get all the way back by January, then this team has Final Four potential.

And it has been way too long since DWBB has been playing that last weekend. Way too long.

msdukie
08-30-2017, 12:41 AM
In all candor, I was a bit surprised by this. I was told by several sources that McCallie wouldn't be fired but her contract would not be renewed when it expired.

So, I'm not sure how to interpret a one-year extension except as a short-term recruiting boost.

Certainly, her public persona last season showed an improvement and it must have shown an improvement behind the scenes. The team did seem more cohesive and harmonious last season.

Consider me agnostic on this. If it works, great. If it doesn't, take the appropriate steps.

But the talent level is really pretty high this year, especially with the late addition of Davalos and the return to health of Gorecki. If Lambert can get all the way back by January, then this team has Final Four potential.

And it has been way too long since DWBB has been playing that last weekend. Way too long.

It's actually a two year extension (to 2021), but I wonder if it was done because she needs to show recruits she will be here 4 years and isn't a lame duck and then it is easy to buy her out when the 2018-2019 season ends and maybe everyone spins it...

Chicago 1995
08-30-2017, 02:26 AM
Did she get the extension in exchange for a more palatable buy out for the University?