PDA

View Full Version : Swag Level of This Year's Team

slower
08-26-2017, 12:16 PM
We shall see, but this has the feel of a pretty "confident" bunch. :p

Grayson is Grayson - probably more physically intimidating than trash-talking. And he'll probably be intentionally reserved and avoid confrontations.

Judging from highlight videos, Bagley will do a little talking. Maybe more than a little, if things get heated.

Gary Trent has the feel of a "never back down" kind of guy, possibly in the mold of Winslow and Nate. He looks like the enforcer of the squad.

Carter is a mystery, from what little I've seen. He seems more reserved than the others.

But the guy who has me totally psyched - and the guy I'm MOST excited about getting - is Duval. This guy is a dynamic, flamboyant, swag MONSTER.

What am I hoping for this year, w/r/t how Duke treats its opponents?

In the immortal words of Mr. T - PAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Native
08-26-2017, 02:41 PM
We shall see, but this has the feel of a pretty "confident" bunch. :p

Grayson is Grayson - probably more physically intimidating than trash-talking. And he'll probably be intentionally reserved and avoid confrontations.

Judging from highlight videos, Bagley will do a little talking. Maybe more than a little, if things get heated.

Gary Trent has the feel of a "never back down" kind of guy, possibly in the mold of Winslow and Nate. He looks like the enforcer of the squad.

Carter is a mystery, from what little I've seen. He seems more reserved than the others.

But the guy who has me totally psyched - and the guy I'm MOST excited about getting - is Duval. This guy is a dynamic, flamboyant, swag MONSTER.

What am I hoping for this year, w/r/t how Duke treats its opponents?

In the immortal words of Mr. T - PAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed that I’d love to see some more attitude and swagger from our guys as long as we don’t cross the line into dirty play.

Who goes in the Duke Swag Hall of Fame? You have to think Justise and Banks are unanimous first-ballots, no?

mattman91
08-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Agreed that I’d love to see some more attitude and swagger from our guys as long as we don’t cross the line into dirty play.

Who goes in the Duke Swag Hall of Fame? You have to think Justise and Banks are unanimous first-ballots, no?

I'd nominate Quinn Cook and Dahntay Jones.

OldPhiKap
08-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Laettner leads the team.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Dahntay and Christian. Everyone else gets in line behind them.

JJ would be third.

Indoor66
08-26-2017, 03:11 PM
#1 = Art Heyman.

slower
08-26-2017, 03:30 PM

Yes, absolutely.

I don't want to see any dirty play or punk behavior. But I also don't want to see our guys back down - ever.

Give me Singler's warrior mentality.

Was never a fan of Dahntay - he was kind of a punk.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Swag is no substitute for quiet confidence and focus. Go watch the Miracle Minute over again and take a look into those faces. Not an ounce of swagger there, just confident concentration. Unfortunately that comes with maturity though, so we don't see it much these days.
Love, Ima

Atldukie79
08-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Additional swag, MOFO, enforcers:

Kenny Dennard
Danny Meagher

slower
08-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Swag is no substitute for quiet confidence and focus. Go watch the Miracle Minute over again and take a look into those faces. Not an ounce of swagger there, just confident concentration. Unfortunately that comes with maturity though, so we don't see it much these days.
Love, Ima

True. Those were definitely different times.

I guess the best way to put it is that I'm looking for reactive swag, not proactive. Hopefully, it's something you never have to use. But it's there if you need it. There's a line that you shouldn't let others cross with you.

There was a stretch there for a few years when teams would absolutely try to manhandle us and get into our heads. I don't want us to be the guys who start the fight - but I want us to be able to finish it, if that's what it comes down to.

MarkD83
08-26-2017, 04:08 PM
I guess everyone left off Nate because he is the definition by which all others are judged.

mr. synellinden
08-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Laettner leads the team.

Seconded, and I'm not sure there is a close second, at least in the K era. Maybe JJ or Stones would be next.

OldPhiKap
08-26-2017, 05:22 PM
#1 = Art Heyman.

Seconded, and I'm not sure there is a close second, at least in the K era. Maybe JJ or Stones would be next.

Having nominated Laettner, I gotta agree that Art was the original gangsta. I have in my memory that he punched UNC Coach Frank McGuire in the nads during the infamous '61 game (although that cannot really be right):

https://youtu.be/I0RroAH4vwU

Art is the one who gets fouled by Larry Brown, then swings on him. (The freshmen game before the main one had so many fights, UNC finished the game with only three players on the court). Art was the subject of thuggery for years by UNC once he decommitted and changed to Duke. He needed stitches after an incident in his freshman game.

So I would suggest co-captains.

Dan Meagher may be more all-thug team, though to be fair Tom Sheehey was the ultimate punk and got what he deserved.

jimsumner
08-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Having nominated Laettner, I gotta agree that Art was the original gangsta. I have in my memory that he punched UNC Coach Frank McGuire in the nads during the infamous '61 game (although that cannot really be right):

Art is the one who gets fouled by Larry Brown, then swings on him. (The freshmen game before the main one had so many fights, UNC finished the game with only three players on the court). Art was the subject of thuggery for years by UNC once he decommitted and changed to Duke. He needed stitches after an incident in his freshman game.

Dan Meagher may be more all-thug team, though to be fair Tom Sheehey was the ultimate punk and got what he deserved.

Nah. John Roche was the ultimate punk. John Ribock was the ultimate thug.

billy
08-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Corey Maggette

OldPhiKap
08-26-2017, 06:20 PM

You make good points.

But Sheehey, Makhtar N'Diaye and Deron Washington need to be on a list too.

johnb
08-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Our guys are very different from their thugs. Their guys don't deserve mention.

On our team, in regards to tough, intimidating, frustrating guys, I love Laettner, Jones, Brand, Wojo, Battier. Who brought anxiety to the visiting locker room. I dunno...

Uncle Drew
08-26-2017, 08:22 PM
Additional swag, MOFO, enforcers:

Kenny Dennard
Danny Meagher

People forget the physical play and "bring it" attitude Dan Meagher brought every game he played in. I just wish he'd been eligible for one more season. I have my doubts Pervis Ellison would have scored as easily at the end of the 86 championship game with him on the court. (That game still makes me sick to think about...)

sagegrouse
08-26-2017, 08:38 PM

I was at the game in February 1961..

The players' benches were at the end of the courts, not on the sidelines. In the last minute of the game, Larry Brown drove through the lane in front of the Carolina bench. Art Heyman grabbed him in a bear hug. Brown responded by through a roundhouse right at Art. And then the melee ensued. Don't ask me as an eyewitness to say what happened, 'cuz it was total confusion.

A film clip of the beginning is available, but the key part is missing (probably sent to the league office as evidence). I believe it is true that Art punched Frank McGuire in the groin.

Tappan Zee Devil
08-26-2017, 08:59 PM

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on jimsumner again.

And yes, yes, yes - It is impossible to describe just how thuggish those South Carolina teams were to someone who wasn't there to see it.

Roche was probably the most despised player ever in the ACC - and he reveled in it.
Ribock was the ultimate enforcer. (i.e. thug)

Hopefully this link works - to an SI story on Roche
https://www.si.com/vault/1971/01/04/554210/the-toughest-kid-on-anybodys-block

Uncle Drew
08-27-2017, 01:31 AM
I was at the game in February 1961..

The players' benches were at the end of the courts, not on the sidelines. In the last minute of the game, Larry Brown drove through the lane in front of the Carolina bench. Art Heyman grabbed him in a bear hug. Brown responded by through a roundhouse right at Art. And then the melee ensued. Don't ask me as an eyewitness to say what happened, 'cuz it was total confusion.

A film clip of the beginning is available, but the key part is missing (probably sent to the league office as evidence). I believe it is true that Art punched Frank McGuire in the groin.

I tried and will try again to spork you after this reply; but to be able to say you were actually there at that moment in time leaves me in awe. I never got to see Led Zeppelin live, I visited Jim Morrison's grave but never saw the Doors live. I happened to be present to see Larry Johnson record the first triple double in Hornets history...against a Laettner led Timberwolves team. But to know you were at THAT game has to give you chills once and a while when you think it, no?

Jim3k
08-27-2017, 03:35 AM
I tried and will try again to spork you after this reply; but to be able to say you were actually there at that moment in time leaves me in awe. I never got to see Led Zeppelin live, I visited Jim Morrison's grave but never saw the Doors live. I happened to be present to see Larry Johnson record the first triple double in Hornets history...against a Laettner led Timberwolves team. But to know you were at THAT game has to give you chills once and a while when you think it, no?

I, too, was in the stands not far from Sage (we were freshman hallmates). His point about the mass confusion is a good one. It all happened very fast and in front of the Carolina bench next to the stanchion. Their players were all on the court in a flash, blocking much of the action. Like Sage, I regret the missing film footage. No one expected Brown to turn on Art as he did. Unknown to us, however, those two had been fierce high school opponents. Some previous bad blood. And Frank McGuire was no innocent. If Art hit him in the groin, the word was that McGuire had kicked him when he was down. But that's the lost film. (What is left can be seen on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0RroAH4vwU).) If someone wants to look in the Derm Morning Herald and/or the Sports Illustrated archives, I expect there is much to read.

Indoor66
08-27-2017, 07:49 AM

The difference, Uncle Drew, is that for you it is legend, for us it is part of our life.