View Full Version : All for one

weezie
08-24-2017, 10:47 AM
http://duaa-naming-01.oit.duke.edu/available-naming-opportunities

"The DBR Softball Dugout Helmet Cubby"

We can do this people.

JasonEvans
08-24-2017, 11:06 AM
You can sponsor/name the windows in Cameron?!?! The windows?? That just seems strange.

But the helmet cubby is a real opportunity!

DukeFanSince1990
08-24-2017, 11:14 AM
If I had a spare $100,000 laying around the Wresting locker room would be named "The Stone Cold Steve Austin memorial Wrestling locker room bar and grill."

Because I am eccentric and interesting.

CrazyNotCrazie
08-24-2017, 11:23 AM

We can do this people.

Wow. This is just the source of hours of fun for me. Some of these are really ridiculous. I think my favorite is the Grassy Knoll at the softball stadium. All that being said, I am surprised that the urinal troughs in Cameron are not on there - those are priceless.

OldPhiKap
08-24-2017, 11:35 AM
I am surprised that the urinal troughs in Cameron are not on there - those are priceless.

I would buy one, and tell them to put Dean Smith's name on it instead of mine.

Indoor66
08-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Compliance Office is $1 million. Let's start a Go Fund Me to name it The UnCheat Way Memorial Compliance Office.

uh_no
08-24-2017, 12:00 PM
think we can fund up 250k to rename

Softball Stadium Grassy Knoll Field Level $ 250,000

the "Inside Job Grassy Knoll" ?

brevity
08-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Wow, I guess naming rights is the new revenue sport.

Count me out. I already paid Duke a lot of money to put my name on a diploma.

arnie
08-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Wow, I guess naming rights is the new revenue sport.

Count me out. I already paid Duke a lot of money to put my name on a diploma.

I'm surprised renaming the university is not on the list. Would the trustees let Gates purchase the rights to rebrand us as Microsoft U. for a measly $1 Billion?

uh_no
08-24-2017, 12:23 PM
I'm surprised renaming the university is not on the list. Would the trustees let Gates purchase the rights to rebrand us as Microsoft U. for a measly $1 Billion?

i mean....not entirely fair given the gates have given a ton of money to the university, and didn't name anything after gates or microsoft.

That said....i would 100% be up for the "Microsoft School of Computer Science" if it meant the CS department could have an actual space with actual classrooms instead of teaching all over the earth.

arnie
08-24-2017, 12:50 PM
i mean...not entirely fair given the gates have given a ton of money to the university, and didn't name anything after gates or microsoft.

That said...i would 100% be up for the "Microsoft School of Computer Science" if it meant the CS department could have an actual space with actual classrooms instead of teaching all over the earth.

Didn't mean to pick on Bill Gates - just appears the university is basically for sale and he appears rich enough to purchase it. I doubt Trump has the cash to pull it off or I would have used that name instead.

OldPhiKap
08-24-2017, 12:56 PM

Melinda Gates, IIRC, is an '86 Duke grad give or take.

devildeac
08-24-2017, 12:58 PM

Zapruder Hill?

uh_no
08-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Zapruder Hill?

I'm thinking that would be more appropriate here.

Rooftop Film Deck

devildeac
08-24-2017, 01:02 PM

I think a commode would be a better choice. You know, just like a dual purpose QB or RB. :rolleyes::o

devildeac
08-24-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking that would be more appropriate here.

Sold!

rsvman
08-24-2017, 01:03 PM

That said...i would 100% be up for the "Microsoft School of Computer Science" if it meant the CS department could have an actual space with actual classrooms...

"Wait....classrooms? Watchu talkin' 'bout?" --Ty Lawson

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2017, 01:20 PM
What is the difference between a hydration station and a Gatorade station, and how come plain water costs 25K more than Gatorade?

devildeac
08-24-2017, 01:24 PM
What is the difference between a hydration station and a Gatorade station, and how come plain water costs 25K more than Gatorade?

Perhaps it's the Free Range Coastal Water that Rogue uses to brew all their beers. :rolleyes:

wilson
08-24-2017, 01:47 PM
I reckon this thread was started as a joke, but I think it would actually be awesome if the DBR community bought the helmet cubby. I would chip in.

mgtr
08-24-2017, 01:50 PM
I think the whole thing is a joke.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-24-2017, 02:04 PM
I had the exact conversation with a couple friends earlier today but said that the name plates should read "in honor of UNC".

And then I'd make sure to drink a bunch of water and take a diuretic before every home game.

devildeac
08-24-2017, 02:12 PM
I had the exact conversation with a couple friends earlier today but said that the name plates should read "in honor of UNC".

And then I'd make sure to drink a bunch of water and take a diuretic before every home game.

I'd be willing to contribute a couple tbsp of Miralax to your cause, too. :o

flyingdutchdevil
08-24-2017, 02:16 PM

dude...

SCMatt33
08-24-2017, 02:25 PM

If we're gonna do it right, the name plates should read "to old well ⬇️"

CrazyNotCrazie
08-24-2017, 02:26 PM

If I had the money I would call it the Roger McDowell Grassy Knoll, with Keith Hernandez there for the naming ceremony.

Also, the Gates family has given a ton to Duke and already has a building - the French Family Science Center is from them - that's her maiden name.

devildeac
08-24-2017, 02:30 PM
dude...

I probably should [redact] that one. :o

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-24-2017, 02:42 PM
I want to be able to watch the games...

Indoor66
08-24-2017, 03:50 PM
I probably should [redact] that one. :o

Keep posting like that and you'll have to move over to IC where it fits in. :D:cool:

duke79
08-24-2017, 05:22 PM

We can do this people.

I think the whole thing is a joke.

LOL, yea, my first reaction to reading the entire list.......was.....this MUST be a joke! But it appears to be real. I know it takes a lot of money to run a university and the athletic department ALWAYS needs more funds......but......this whole list leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean......give $15 million and you can have the golf course named after you? I like the name "Duke Golf Course" (or officially "Duke University Golf Course") and does the softball stadium helmet cubby hole really need to be named after someone? As another example, I respect and appreciate the Brooks family giving a lot of money for the new football stadium but I still find it somewhat grating when the announcers on the Duke football games say something like....."here we are at beautiful Brooks field at Wallace Wade Stadium". Can't people (who have the money) just give the money with the knowledge that they're benefiting the university and the students and athletes? Do they really need the ego boost of having their name on a Gatorade station?

rasputin
08-24-2017, 05:32 PM
LOL, yea, my first reaction to reading the entire list....was....this MUST be a joke! But it appears to be real. I know it takes a lot of money to run a university and the athletic department ALWAYS needs more funds...but...this whole list leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean...give $15 million and you can have the golf course named after you? I like the name "Duke Golf Course" (or officially "Duke University Golf Course") and does the softball stadium helmet cubby hole really need to be named after someone? As another example, I respect and appreciate the Brooks family giving a lot of money for the new football stadium but I still find it somewhat grating when the announcers on the Duke football games say something like...."here we are at beautiful Brooks field at Wallace Wade Stadium". Can't people (who have the money) just give the money with the knowledge that they're benefiting the university and the students and athletes? Do they really need the ego boost of having their name on a Gatorade station?

Krusty Burger, the Official Meat-Flavored Sandwich of the Olympic Games!

DukieInKansas
08-24-2017, 06:14 PM
If only I had won Powerball last night. I would buy the naming rights for the golf course and name it Duke University Golf Course.

If I had won anything with Powerball last night, I'd like to buy the rights for several of the available places/things and call them Lane 1, Locker Room, Gatorade Station, etc.

OldPhiKap
08-24-2017, 06:51 PM
If only I had won Powerball last night. I would buy the naming rights for the golf course and name it Duke University Golf Course.

If I had won anything with Powerball last night, I'd like to buy the rights for several of the available places/things and call them Lane 1, Locker Room, Gatorade Station, etc.

If I won the Powerball, I would buy each and every ticket to the Dean Dome for a year. Then, not go.

uh_no
08-24-2017, 06:57 PM
If I won the Powerball, I would buy each and every ticket to the Dean Dome for a year. Then, not go.

I would donate the tickets to the Duke UNC game to duke fans.

OldPhiKap
08-24-2017, 07:23 PM
I would donate the tickets to the Duke UNC game to duke fans.

Good addenda.

Native
08-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Surprised that no one wants to name the Umpires' Locker Room the "DBR 'You Better Make Good Calls, Or Else' Locker Room".

MarkD83
08-24-2017, 08:12 PM
LOL, yea, my first reaction to reading the entire list....was....this MUST be a joke! But it appears to be real. I know it takes a lot of money to run a university and the athletic department ALWAYS needs more funds...but...this whole list leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean...give $15 million and you can have the golf course named after you? I like the name "Duke Golf Course" (or officially "Duke University Golf Course") and does the softball stadium helmet cubby hole really need to be named after someone? As another example, I respect and appreciate the Brooks family giving a lot of money for the new football stadium but I still find it somewhat grating when the announcers on the Duke football games say something like...."here we are at beautiful Brooks field at Wallace Wade Stadium". Can't people (who have the money) just give the money with the knowledge that they're benefiting the university and the students and athletes? Do they really need the ego boost of having their name on a Gatorade station?

It gets really silly if the announcer had to go through the whole litany of names....

Its halftime and the Duke team is going to place their helmets in the ---- helmet cubby in the ---- locker in the --- locker room near the --- water station here at Brooks field at Wallace Wade stadium after they use the Dean Smith Urinal at the --- locker room .......

At one point in time do the announcers just start breaking down in laughter.

duke79
08-24-2017, 08:38 PM

Exactly my point!

duke79
08-24-2017, 08:41 PM
It gets really silly if the announcer had to go through the whole litany of names...

Its halftime and the Duke team is going to place their helmets in the ---- helmet cubby in the ---- locker in the --- locker room near the --- water station here at Brooks field at Wallace Wade stadium after they use the Dean Smith Urinal at the --- locker room ....

At one point in time do the announcers just start breaking down in laughter.

LOL, no kidding.

duketaylor
08-24-2017, 08:42 PM
I'd opt for the Max Crowder Training Room, featuring Dr. Berlin. Two Duke staples in the day.

Neals384
08-24-2017, 08:51 PM
LOL, yea, my first reaction to reading the entire list...was...this MUST be a joke! But it appears to be real. I know it takes a lot of money to run a university and the athletic department ALWAYS needs more funds...but...this whole list leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean...give $15 million and you can have the golf course named after you? I like the name "Duke Golf Course" (or officially "Duke University Golf Course") and does the softball stadium helmet cubby hole really need to be named after someone? As another example, I respect and appreciate the Brooks family giving a lot of money for the new football stadium but I still find it somewhat grating when the announcers on the Duke football games say something like..."here we are at beautiful Brooks field at Wallace Wade Stadium". Can't people (who have the money) just give the money with the knowledge that they're benefiting the university and the students and athletes? Do they really need the ego boost of having their name on a Gatorade station?

Jesus said "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:3-4. You don't need to be a Christian to see the wisdom in that.

cspan37421
08-24-2017, 09:19 PM
Indeed. I have never understood the urge to erect monuments to oneself, or one's family. Maybe it's a recessive gene that gets expressed when your net worth rises by a couple orders of magnitude.

This naming opportunity thing reminds me of the old joke which ends, "We've already established what you are; now, we're just haggling over the price."

Or Ron Burgundy's suggestion to Veronica Corningstone.

duke79
08-24-2017, 10:43 PM
I'd opt for the Max Crowder Training Room, featuring Dr. Berlin. Two Duke staples in the day.

Yea, I'm all in favor of naming these athletic facilities after long-time coaches or athletic department employees, many of whom devoted their working lives to Duke and to the student-athletes, often for not much money. And not necessarily after alums who have made some bucks in the world and can sign their name to a check.

duke79
08-24-2017, 10:45 PM
Jesus said "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:3-4. You don't need to be a Christian to see the wisdom in that.

Amen !

msdukie
08-24-2017, 11:53 PM
At the beginning of DukeForward/Building for Champions, the Iron Dukes Building for Champions Site with all the new facilities, including a much smaller list of naming rights, many of which have since been sold with the remaining ones still on this new naming rights website that launched today. The big ticket item was to have the entire athletic campus naming rights with 3 signs at the 3 entry points. That is not on this new site as a naming opportunity. I wonder if there will be an announcement of the YOUR NAME HERE Athletic Campus between now and the NCCU game in 9 days..... The new entryway from the new parking lot to the athletics campus seems custom designed to include a big sign on Bassett Drive.....

johnb
08-25-2017, 12:23 AM
The university is happy to be given big money with no strings attached. Rarely happens.

As it stands, almost every large gift comes with a contract that stipulates that the golf course (or whatever) is referred to as the Billy Knickers Duke University Golf Course forever (or at least as long as the family that gave the gift is alive and still contributing and/or able to mount a legal challenge to the inevitable dissolution of the name--unless you think the helmet cubby won't eventually get replaced). If you get rid of the "Billy" in Billy Knickers, or forget to keep the entrance font at the correct size, your goose is likely cooked. I like the list. At least it's transparent. Though grassy knoll? Seriously?

If you don't like it, tell it to Trinity College which got bought out by the Dukes... And if you think there is one difference between Duke and private schools that will never sniff the US News Top 10 list, and you don't think that single difference isn't cash, then I have a bridge for you.

msdukie
08-25-2017, 12:31 AM
By the way, naming rights are not just limited to grassy knolls, offices and urinals. Duke sells the naming rights to its head coaches, assistants and athletic director positions. Did you know that:
Coach K is the Michael W. Krzyzewski Leadership Head Coach
Capel is the Homeland Foundation Associate Head Coach
Nate is the Pagliuca Family Assistant Coach
Scheyer is the Steve & Judy Pagliuca Assistant Coach
Kenny King is the Steve and Melinda Duncker Academic Support Director/Student Life & Campus Relations Coordinator

Kevin White's title wasn't sold yet but on the market last time I checked, if you want to donate some $$$$.
Only Zac Roper's title (Baxter Family Associate Head Coach) has been sold on the football side.

sagegrouse
08-25-2017, 12:35 AM

Yeah, when I took introductory psychology at Duke eons ago, the professor cited research that showed a large percentage of charitable giving was done for the donor to receive praise and gain esteem. We sophomores were somewhat horrified at the result, although the prof said it did not particularly bother him.

Now I am kinda in the professor's camp.

msdukie
08-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Duke is basically doing with regard to its naming rights for people's jobs and places what Stanford started years ago. It's not a coincidence that they were able to endow every athletic scholarship in every sport up to NCAA limits. (Our men's basketball program has done this with named scholarship endowments as part of the Legacy Fund.)

left_hook_lacey
08-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Zapruder Hill?

Babushka Lady Lawn

budwom
08-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Anything that does not move represents a naming opportunity....just walking around the new Wallace Wade stadium illustrates that point. I am thinking of buying the rights to the PA announcer so I can get him to either stop yelling (which would be good) or shut up entirely (better).

CrazyNotCrazie
08-25-2017, 09:38 AM

I agree 100% (though I will admit that a part of me likes seeing my name on the lists of donors). The Jewish Talmud has established levels of giving, with anonymous being near the top:

1.Giving begrudgingly
2.Giving less that you should, but giving it cheerfully.
3.Giving after being asked
4.Giving before being asked
5.Giving when you do not know the recipient's identity, but the recipient knows your identity
6.Giving when you know the recipient's identity, but the recipient doesn't know your identity
7.Giving when neither party knows the other's identity
8.Enabling the recipient to become self-reliant

Though I always find it interesting when the rabbi is telling us this during services in the room donated by the XYZ family, reading from a prayer book donated by the ABC family, standing behind flowers donated by the LMN family, shortly before telling us how badly the synagogue needs money and we should give more.

duke79
08-25-2017, 10:44 AM
At the beginning of DukeForward/Building for Champions, the Iron Dukes Building for Champions Site with all the new facilities, including a much smaller list of naming rights, many of which have since been sold with the remaining ones still on this new naming rights website that launched today. The big ticket item was to have the entire athletic campus naming rights with 3 signs at the 3 entry points. That is not on this new site as a naming opportunity. I wonder if there will be an announcement of the YOUR NAME HERE Athletic Campus between now and the NCCU game in 9 days.... The new entryway from the new parking lot to the athletics campus seems custom designed to include a big sign on Bassett Drive....

If you don't like it, tell it to Trinity College which got bought out by the Dukes... And if you think there is one difference between Duke and private schools that will never sniff the US News Top 10 list, and you don't think that single difference isn't cash, then I have a bridge for you.

By the way, naming rights are not just limited to grassy knolls, offices and urinals. Duke sells the naming rights to its head coaches, assistants and athletic director positions. Did you know that:
Coach K is the Michael W. Krzyzewski Leadership Head Coach
Capel is the Homeland Foundation Associate Head Coach
Nate is the Pagliuca Family Assistant Coach
Scheyer is the Steve & Judy Pagliuca Assistant Coach
Kenny King is the Steve and Melinda Duncker Academic Support Director/Student Life & Campus Relations Coordinator

Kevin White's title wasn't sold yet but on the market last time I checked, if you want to donate some $$$$.
Only Zac Roper's title (Baxter Family Associate Head Coach) has been sold on the football side.

I'm not naive and I know that money makes the world go round and that Duke and all the other schools always need more donations.......and I also know that people are more likely to give money (big money, especially) when their name can be attached to something....but I also find some of the "naming opportunities" on the list to be sort of ridiculous; i.e., the softball dugout helmet nook; the "grassy knoll"; the gatorade and water stations at the football stadium, etc. Frankly, it smells to me that the university is overly greedy and desperate for cash, when they have to try to entice a $5,000 donation with such a piddling naming opportunity.

weezie
08-25-2017, 04:02 PM
...I also find some of the "naming opportunities" on the list to be sort of ridiculous; i.e., the softball dugout helmet nook...

Yeah but what if I get a free helmet with the donation? That would be cool! :cool:

duke79
08-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Yeah but what if I get a free helmet with the donation? That would be cool! :cool:

Heck, I'd like a helmet too........but I'm guessing you can buy one from the Duke store for less than $5,000?

Reilly
08-26-2017, 03:37 PM

So the noise level would be the same, but there'd just be fewer sweater vests?

CameronBornAndBred
08-27-2017, 08:51 AM
I'm not naive and I know that money makes the world go round and that Duke and all the other schools always need more donations....and I also know that people are more likely to give money (big money, especially) when their name can be attached to something...but I also find some of the "naming opportunities" on the list to be sort of ridiculous; i.e., the softball dugout helmet nook; the "grassy knoll"; the gatorade and water stations at the football stadium, etc. Frankly, it smells to me that the university is overly greedy and desperate for cash, when they have to try to entice a $5,000 donation with such a piddling naming opportunity.

Can't wait for the end of the season, when we are locking up the Coastal championship, and the announcer says "Looks like the players are making their way to the Samuel Smith Gatorade station; Coach Cut is about to get a shower."

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-27-2017, 06:59 PM
How much would I have to donate to get an Ima Facultiwyfe water cooler?
Love, Ima