PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Plumlee selected to Americup team

jimsumner
08-21-2017, 09:45 PM
Thought this was worthy of its own thread.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211662544&DB_OEM_ID=4200

JasonEvans
08-22-2017, 01:11 AM
Why aren't more NBA players doing this? I mean, the team is all DLeague guys and a couple deeeeep bench NBAers. Why aren't some 9th-13th guys doing this?!?

Oh well, nice for MP3!

CDu
08-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Why aren't more NBA players doing this? I mean, the team is all DLeague guys and a couple deeeeep bench NBAers. Why aren't some 9th-13th guys doing this?!?

Oh well, nice for MP3!

Probably because they don't want to risk injury during their offseason for a "meaningless" tournament.

sagegrouse
08-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Probably because they don't want to risk injury during their offseason for a "meaningless" tournament.

Because... because... Coach K is no longer in charge and the Team USA concept is falling apart.

Actually, looking up FIBA Americas 2013, the United States didn't compete at all.

awhom111
08-22-2017, 09:47 PM

Oh well, nice for MP3!

I don't believe that NBA players were allowed to try to join this and that USA Basketball was not looking for them to do so. I suspect that Marshall's deal will not become official until after this tournament. There tend to be insurance and other cost issues that limit how much USA Basketball will call on NBA players. Also, they are trying to find the best players possible who might be available for qualifying games, which I suspect prevented any current college players from being considered, unlike the 2015 Pan-American Games team, which mixed collegians and non-NBA pros.