PDA

View Full Version : Would Kyrie's Number Be Retired in The Following Imaginary Scenario?

slower
08-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Okay, okay - don't flip out on me! :p

Olympic Fan's comment in the Marvin Bagley thread got me thinking. If Kyrie hadn't gotten injured, he might have been the best of Duke's OAD players. I mean, when all is said and done, he may be, anyway.

So let's extend this out even further. What if Kyrie hadn't gotten injured, had led us to a title, won FF MVP and been consensus NPOY? But for a bum toe, it's within the realm of possibility. If he had returned to graduate, would his jersey be in the rafters? Even if he only played one year? Or is that asking too much? Does the threshold for retirement necessarily include multiple seasons of play, or could one magic, memorable season get a number retired?

MarkD83
08-21-2017, 08:52 PM
If I recall the criteria for jersey retirement are...

1. Coach K's discretion but after that...

2. National award ; player of the year award (defensive or overall) or first team all-american?

3. Graduate

I don't recall time at Duke being an issue other than "see criterion number 1"

Of course if Duke retires too many numbers Coach K will be asking a lot of great players whether incoming players can wear their jersey number...I don't think that will ever happen :)

Rich
08-21-2017, 09:54 PM

Olympic Fan's comment in the Marvin Bagley thread got me thinking. If Kyrie hadn't gotten injured, he might have been the best of Duke's OAD players. I mean, when all is said and done, he may be, anyway.

So let's extend this out even further. What if Kyrie hadn't gotten injured, had led us to a title, won FF MVP and been consensus NPOY? But for a bum toe, it's within the realm of possibility. If he had returned to graduate, would his jersey be in the rafters? Even if he only played one year? Or is that asking too much? Does the threshold for retirement necessarily include multiple seasons of play, or could one magic, memorable season get a number retired?

Ah yes, 12b and 12c of Throatybeard’s DBR Manifesto/Pocket Reference...just sayin'.

See http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?10527-DBR-Manifesto-%28AKA-Throaty-s-Handy-Pocket-Reference%29&highlight=pocket if you don't know what I'm referring to.

Wander
08-21-2017, 10:05 PM
So let's extend this out even further. What if Kyrie hadn't gotten injured, had led us to a title, won FF MVP and been consensus NPOY?

Can't we make this a whole lot less hypothetical by just asking what if Tyus Jones won a NPOY award?

Channing
08-21-2017, 10:38 PM
...maybe of the earth was flat...

DevilFalcon
08-21-2017, 10:43 PM
4 years has to be a must, even in this era. Maybe Grayson has a shot if he returns to form this year.

Channing
08-21-2017, 11:29 PM
4 years has to be a must, even in this era. Maybe Grayson has a shot if he returns to form this year.

Jason Williams?

Olympic Fan
08-22-2017, 12:20 AM

The closest thing to this scenario is Elton Brand.

He had an injury-plagued freshman season, then was the consensus national player of the year as a sophomore, leading Duke to the title game.

But he left after two years and his jersey has never even been considered for retirement.

Maybe, if Elton came back now that his pro career is over and earned his degree, his jersey could go in the rafters.

But Elton is a strong reminder that the one strict requirement is graduation.

-- DevilFalcon, it's not that four years is required -- it's not (as Channing pointed out). But gradiation is.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-22-2017, 12:24 AM
Jason Williams?

Three years is the new four years?

I say no way Kyrie gets retired in that scenario. Mostly because he was the cusp of the OAD. If Kyrie came in THIS year, averaged 40/8/5, led an undefeated team to 40-0... still probably not. But a bit more likely.

FadedTackyShirt
08-22-2017, 08:03 AM
The closest thing to this scenario is Elton Brand.

He had an injury-plagued freshman season, then was the consensus national player of the year as a sophomore, leading Duke to the title game.

But he left after two years and his jersey has never even been considered for retirement.

Maybe, if Elton came back now that his pro career is over and earned his degree, his jersey could go in the rafters.

But Elton is a strong reminder that the one strict requirement is graduation.

-- DevilFalcon, it's not that four years is required -- it's not (as Channing pointed out). But gradiation is.

Elton was a dominant player as a sophomore with a more productive team and individual season than some of the players whose jerseys were retired.

Strongly believe a Duke degree is imperative for jersey retirement, so would be fully supportive of retiring Brand's jersey if he ever earns a Duke degree. Bummed that few early entrants have made any effort to finish their Duke degrees.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-22-2017, 08:07 AM
Elton was a dominant player as a sophomore with a more productive team and individual season than some of the players whose jerseys were retired.

Strongly believe a Duke degree is imperative for jersey retirement, so would be fully supportive of retiring Brand's jersey if he ever earns a Duke degree. Bummed that few early entrants have made any effort to finish their Duke degrees.

It is certainly your right to feel however you wish, but I am surprised you have any expectation that a player who spends nine months on campus before earning a seven or eight figure paycheck would have any interest in returning to college.

Hard to expect that of any young man, if you ask me. Sure, it would make for nice PR for both the player and for Duke, but if seems like a stretch.

FadedTackyShirt
08-22-2017, 08:28 AM
It is certainly your right to feel however you wish, but I am surprised you have any expectation that a player who spends nine months on campus before earning a seven or eight figure paycheck would have any interest in returning to college.

Hard to expect that of any young man, if you ask me. Sure, it would make for nice PR for both the player and for Duke, but if seems like a stretch.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim played one year at Cal (PAC POY), third pick in the draft, Olympic gold medalist, NBA all-star, 12 seasons in the NBA. Earned his Cal degree with a 3.8 GPA following retirement.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-22-2017, 08:38 AM
Shareef Abdur-Rahim played one year at Cal (PAC POY), third pick in the draft, Olympic gold medalist, NBA all-star, 12 seasons in the NBA. Earned his Cal degree with a 3.8 GPA following retirement.

Yes. And Jason Williams graduated in just three years. You have to acknowledge that it is a wildly different landscape now for lots of reasons. It isn't 1996 anymore.

CDu
08-22-2017, 08:58 AM

One example doesn't make it the norm.

FadedTackyShirt
08-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Yes. And Jason Williams graduated in just three years. You have to acknowledge that it is a wildly different landscape now for lots of reasons. It isn't 1996 anymore.

Understood, but respect Dun, Shareef, and Casey Jacobsen (finished up at Stanford recently) for earning (delayed) degrees not purely for financial reasons.

Like Kennard a lot personally, but will be slightly bummed if Luke doesn't eventually complete his degree even though he made the right professional decision to enter the draft when he did.

Fine with Duke recruiting potential early entrants, but surprised many choose Duke over sham diploma mills with zero academic expectations for athletes. Just think/hope/wish Duke and K would be more proactive in encouraging more early entrants to finish their degrees post playing career. Seems mutually beneficial. Brand could be a catalyst.

BigZ
08-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Kyle Singler should have his jersey retired

CrazyNotCrazie
08-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Understood, but respect Dun, Shareef, and Casey Jacobsen (finished up at Stanford recently) for earning (delayed) degrees not purely for financial reasons.

Like Kennard a lot personally, but will be slightly bummed if Luke doesn't eventually complete his degree even though he made the right professional decision to enter the draft when he did.

Fine with Duke recruiting potential early entrants, but surprised many choose Duke over sham diploma mills with zero academic expectations for athletes. Just think/hope/wish Duke and K would be more proactive in encouraging more early entrants to finish their degrees post playing career. Seems mutually beneficial. Brand could be a catalyst.

Finishing up after three years is fairly easy - a few classes here and there and you are done. Finishing up after two years requires more dedication but is manageable over time. One year is a lot more challenging - that is a lot of credits to make up over time.

Kyrie also has the disadvantage (and blessing) of playing for strong NBA teams - his season tends to run almost two months longer than guys who don't make the playoffs, leaving a lot less time to go back to school or do anything else. If you are done in April, you can easily do the first summer session and have the rest of the summer to do other things.

I thought that going into last season, the plan was for Grayson to leave after his junior year and also be done with his degree. Did he graduate? Otherwise I assume he can take a very light load and/or take lots of electives or grad classes.

Wander
08-22-2017, 10:10 AM
I agree with the above comments about what the jersey retirement "requirements" are - for now. I would be very not-surprised to see graduation eliminated as a retirement criterion in the not-distant future as we have more and more focus on early entry players.

brandon990
08-22-2017, 10:32 AM
I think the one thing missing from this discussion is career stats. Not that they're a requirement, but no one and done will ever be top 10 in career anything. 2,000 point club? All time block leader? There is simply no way to compare a one and done season, no matter how great, to 3 or 4 amazing years. Look at the jerseys that are up there now. That's a career honor. Not a "you had a really great season for us that one time" honor.

slower
08-22-2017, 10:44 AM
I think the one thing missing from this discussion is career stats. Not that they're a requirement, but no one and done will ever be top 10 in career anything. 2,000 point club? All time block leader? There is simply no way to compare a one and done season, no matter how great, to 3 or 4 amazing years. Look at the jerseys that are up there now. That's a career honor. Not a "you had a really great season for us that one time" honor.

I tend to agree with this opinion.

johnb
08-22-2017, 11:52 AM
If a player strings together 2 A-A years, a NC, and a NPOY, and then gets a degree, I'd guess that K would be happy to use his discretion to put up another banner. There just won't be many super elite athletes who are going to stay 3 or 4 years, but if a tip-top player stayed an "extra" year, I'd be inclined to shade down the usual on-campus expectations.

Having said that, if Grayson is NPOY (though he could also end up being our 5th most talented starter), I'm guessing he could be the first guy to get his jersey retired after losing his captaincy.

DukeDevilDeb
08-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Three years is the new four years?

I say no way Kyrie gets retired in that scenario. Mostly because he was the cusp of the OAD. If Kyrie came in THIS year, averaged 40/8/5, led an undefeated team to 40-0... still probably not. But a bit more likely.

GRADUATION is a must, and Jason graduated in 3 years. I had him in class, and he worked his butt off academically. Now had that only influenced his motorcycle decision making, we might still be watching him.

The more likely scenario is what happens if someone like Kyrie or Tyus or Bagley returns to finish a degree... quickly or not? Does that change the equation?

MCFinARL
08-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Yes--and Kyrie will be the test case. He promised his dad when he left early that he would graduate. And--because of the strike and some AP credits he came in with, I think he had accumulated about 2 years worth of credits before he began NBA play. But he obviously has a lot of irons in the fire--and if I recall correctly, his original promise was to get his degree within 5 years, which clearly hasn't happened. We will see if he decides to come back and finish later, when his NBA career is winding down.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Yes--and Kyrie will be the test case. He promised his dad when he left early that he would graduate. And--because of the strike and some AP credits he came in with, I think he had accumulated about 2 years worth of credits before he began NBA play. But he obviously has a lot of irons in the fire--and if I recall correctly, his original promise was to get his degree within 5 years, which clearly hasn't happened. We will see if he decides to come back and finish later, when his NBA career is winding down.

Test case for returning and graduating - okay, if you say so, I don't doubt your sources. But there's no way that his jersey is retired. He simply didn't play enough games.

So, how can he be a test-case for the topic of jersey retirement?

ipatent
08-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Kyrie's number is not going be retired with his name on the back. Too many better candidates in front of him, even if he was more talented.

FadedTackyShirt
08-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Sincerely hope Kyrie eventually earns a Duke degree, but his 12 game college career doesn't merit jersey retirement.

slower
08-22-2017, 08:13 PM
Sincerely hope Kyrie eventually earns a Duke degree, but his 12 game college career doesn't merit jersey retirement.

Remember that the whole premise of this thread is NOT that he does deserve jersey retirement; it's WHAT IF he had stayed healthy, been NPOY and won a title. But as others have said, even the most spectacular one year at Duke might not have merited that.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Kyle Singler should have his jersey retired
So should Jim Spanarkel's #34.