Fluidity of the game.
Beastly.
Hairstyle.
Looks.
Intangibles.

Bagley is the second coming of Winslow.

kAzE
08-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Blasphemy! No Duke player will ever be as beautiful as Justise Winslow.

proelitedota
08-18-2017, 07:32 PM

Bagley is bigger, that should offset advantage that Winslow has in looks. :cool:

CDu
08-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Mrs. CDu can confirm that this statement is 100% accurate.

TKG
08-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Mrs. CDu can confirm that this statement is 100% accurate.

Hell, I can confirm that statement and I am not Mrs. CDu!

CDu
08-18-2017, 07:42 PM
Hell, I can confirm that statement and I am not Mrs. CDu!

:) Some people are just blessed with more good things in life than the rest of us. I have to watch my 2015 championship video without the company of Mrs. CDu or else I hear repeatedly how beautiful he is. Well, that and "are you sure they are going to pull it off this time?"

TKG
08-18-2017, 07:45 PM
:) Some people are just blessed with more good things in life than the rest of us. I have to watch my 2015 championship video without the company of Mrs. CDu or else I hear repeatedly how beautiful he is. Well, that and "are you sure they are going to pull it off this time?"

My two daughters (ages 25 and 23) are Miami Heat fans and it has nothing to do with hoops.

slower
08-18-2017, 08:39 PM

Hustle.
Intensity.
Alpha.
Fluidity of the game.
Beastly.
Hairstyle.
Looks.
Intangibles.

Oh, please.

Aside from the hair, your comparison is a stretch at best.

gam7
08-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Oh, please.

Agree. I don't see it... Not sure what OP means by "fluidity of the game". Winslow was pretty rugged...

duke4ever19
08-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Agree. I don't see it... Not sure what OP means by "fluidity of the game". Winslow was pretty rugged...

. . . but that euro-step . . . that beautiful, beautiful euro-step.

I'll agree, though, that other than that, Winslow was a pretty rugged type of player.

fuse
08-18-2017, 11:44 PM

Hustle.
Intensity.
Alpha.
Fluidity of the game.
Beastly.
Hairstyle.
Looks.
Intangibles.

If you are even half right, I am more excited for the upcoming season than I should be.

proelitedota
08-19-2017, 12:02 AM
. . . but that euro-step . . . that beautiful, beautiful euro-step.

I'll agree, though, that other than that, Winslow was a pretty rugged type of player.

Winslow had a smoothness to his game both on offense and defense. Rugged players can't do https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjiqKLjtOLVAhVn44MKHQYKBykQwqsBCB8wAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-19-2017, 08:34 AM

Can you say "Christian Laettner"? He was so beautiful that his slow motion video at the banquet was set to Natalie Cole singing "Unforgettable"! I wish somebody could unearth that vid.
Love, Ima

YmoBeThere
08-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Can you say "Christian Laettner"? He was so beautiful that his slow motion video at the banquet was set to Natalie Cole singing "Unforgettable"! I wish somebody could unearth that vid.
Love, Ima

There were a lot of great videos from that era that would be great to see again. In particular, there was one set to the training montage featuring many of the dunks from that season(G.Hill, T.Hill, Bryan and Christian) that was particularly memorable.

Henderson
08-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Before I saw this thread, I was watching some mix tapes of Marvin Bagley, and I had the same reaction: He looks like a tall Justise Winslow. The physical resemblance is part of it, but the way he moves and his attitude on the court seemed (to me anyway) very Justise-like. A high compliment to both of them.

slower
08-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Love, Ima

Ima,

If I were to say the name "Bob Bender", would it mean anything to you. :p

burnspbesq
08-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Iciss Tillis.

Edouble
08-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Oh, please.

Yes, other than the hair, which is not actually that close, the two look nothing alike. Worst comparison on this board since Jah's game was compared to that of a young Patrick Ewing's.

chrishoke
08-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Iciss Tillis.

Yes. I named my dog Iciss.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-19-2017, 01:38 PM

We named the DOG, Indy...

TKG
08-19-2017, 01:58 PM

You and Lord Grantham!

TKG
08-19-2017, 01:59 PM
We named the DOG, Indy...

[With a heavy Scottish accent] Junior!

mkirsh
08-20-2017, 12:56 AM
Only things I see are the hair and the left handed-ness. Hopefully they will have matching rings at some point as well.

OldPhiKap
08-20-2017, 05:15 PM
People always tell me that I'm a 5'8" Marvin Bagley. How odd.

proelitedota
08-20-2017, 05:57 PM
http://dukereport.com/audio-video/watch-marvin-bagley-highlights-from-pick-up-game-with-duke-teammates-dukeofhoops/

First footage of Marvin playing with the team.

chriso
08-20-2017, 06:23 PM
http://dukereport.com/audio-video/watch-marvin-bagley-highlights-from-pick-up-game-with-duke-teammates-dukeofhoops/

Please please please please be eligible!!!!

niveklaen
08-20-2017, 06:32 PM
[With a heavy Scottish accent] Junior!

I was the next man!

OldPhiKap
08-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Didn't realize he had that sort of range. Gonna be fun!

duketaylor
08-20-2017, 07:40 PM
He can go up and dunk so easily it's amazing. So smooth. Very impressive.

Indoor66
08-20-2017, 08:01 PM
He can go up and dunk so easily it's amazing. So smooth. Very impressive.

My Lord, he is 6'10" or so. He should be able dunk easily!

kAzE
08-20-2017, 08:06 PM
The running jump hook going left in that video has me excited. That shot is nearly unstoppable going 1 on 1. This guy is a scoring machine if we use him correctly. He might lead the team in scoring.

flyingdutchdevil
08-21-2017, 08:59 AM
I'm more excited about Duval and what he did in that video. Can Duke please share more of that?

Duval/Bagley is not going to be fair in the open court.

TKG
08-21-2017, 09:27 AM
I was the next man!

She talks in her sleep.

elvis14
08-21-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm more excited about Duval and what he did in that video. Can Duke please share more of that?

Duval/Bagley is not going to be fair in the open court.

FDD, I had the same reaction. The two players I'm most looking forward to seeing this year are a healthy Grayson Allen and then Duval...although I must admit that watching Bagley does make me think about adding a 3rd player to my short list.

Note there's nothing negative about any player...I'm just saying for ME, these are the guys I find most interesting. Obviously I'm looking forward to seeing them all play.

LasVegas
08-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Count me in for someone who wants to see what Trent can bring to the table. I think he might be a major factor in how the season could go.

Olympic Fan
08-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Count me in for someone who wants to see what Trent can bring to the table. I think he might be a major factor in how the season could go.

Based on historical trends, it's safe to assume that Bagley, Carter and Duval will be hugely successful players as freshmen -- assuming they stay healthy.

The point is that every top 10 prospect that Duke has laded in the last decade has been a stud ... the only exception was the oft-injured Harry Giles. I guess you can include Kyrie Irving, but before he was hurt, he might have been the greatest stud of all. Still, after him, we get Rivers, Parker, Okafor, Jones, Ingram and Tatum ...

Trent is a bit harder to guarantee. Ranked No. 13, Trent is in the mix with some guys who were real studs -- No. 13 Justise Winslow, No. 12 Rasheed Sulaimon (who was very good his freshman year), No. 14 Frank Jackson. On the other hand, No. 14 Chase Jeter was a real flop ... and it's too early to tell with No. 11 Marques Bolden -- was he overrated or just injured last season? We also have No. 14 Ryan Kelly and No. 18 Mason Plimlee, who were a bit limited as freshman, but who became studs before leaving Duke.

Still, the odds are good that we have three absolute studs in the freshman class and Trent has a chance to be a fourth.

proelitedota
11-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Update:

Marvin Bagley > 6'11 Justice Winslow

plimnko
11-27-2017, 05:04 PM
Update:

Marvin Bagley > 6'11 Justice Winslow

it's only been eight games, but i can't disagree. the guy amazes me!

nmduke2001
11-27-2017, 05:20 PM
I mentioned this in the MOTM thread but I’ll repeat it here. Bagley is great offensively, but I think he could be an incredible defender. His rebounding reminds me of Dennis Rodman. Both Rodman and Bagley have this innate ability to get off the ground twice before anyone else has a chance for their second jump. It’s a skill that is very valuable when rebounding. Both Rodman and Bagley rebound differently than someone like Dwight Howard. Howard had to overpower or out athlete someone. Bagley simply gets to the ball faster than his opponents. Add that to how tenacious he is on the glass and I think the Rodman comparison is good. Taking that a bit further, if Bagley can learn to move his feet like Rodman did, I think his defense will be off the charts. He’s sneaky strong and quick. He also seems to have a good basketball IQ. There is no limit on how good this kid might become.

duke4ever19
11-27-2017, 05:46 PM
I mentioned this in the MOTM thread but I’ll repeat it here. Bagley is great offensively, but I think he could be an incredible defender. His rebounding reminds me of Dennis Rodman. Both Rodman and Bagley have this innate ability to get off the ground twice before anyone else has a chance for their second jump. It’s a skill that is very valuable when rebounding. Both Rodman and Bagley rebound differently than someone like Dwight Howard. Howard had to overpower or out athlete someone. Bagley simply gets to the ball faster than his opponents. Add that to how tenacious he is on the glass and I think the Rodman comparison is good. Taking that a bit further, if Bagley can learn to move his feet like Rodman did, I think his defense will be off the charts. He’s sneaky strong and quick. He also seems to have a good basketball IQ. There is no limit on how good this kid might become.

Good post.

Here are just a couple measurements to compare the two players:

Rodman is several inches shorter than Bagley (6'7), but Rodman was gifted with a (7'2 -- 7'4 wingspan). I put the range there because it's I've seen varying reports on this.

Bagley is a legit 6'11, but has a 7'0 (some say 7'1) wingspan.

Rodman reportedly had a 45 inch vertical, which certainly helped grabbing those rebounds.

I don't know what Bagley's vertical is . . . couldn't find it. Obviously he is an above-the-rim player.

I think Rodman was one of the most unique players in NBA history, and his penchant for grabbing rebounds is a big reason why he's in the hall of fame, despite not being as good an offensive player as Bagley. Who knows if Bagley will be able to keep rebounding this way in the NBA, but all we care about is if he can do it in the present for Duke. :)

Pghdukie
11-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Winslow would have been a welcomed addition to the line-up in the Portland St game. As the game got physical - Justice would have been served !

proelitedota
11-27-2017, 06:37 PM
Winslow would have been a welcomed addition to the line-up in the Portland St game. As the game got physical - Justice would have been served !

A team with Marvin Bagley and Justice Winslow will be like Kenshiro from Fist of North Star teaming up with Chuck Norris.

UrinalCake
11-28-2017, 12:08 AM
Loved Winslow but he could only dream about having the kind of offensive game that Bagley has. They're both awesome though.

Faison1
11-28-2017, 12:23 AM
Loved Winslow but he could only dream about having the kind of offensive game that Bagley has. They're both awesome though.

Kinda funny, but at this point, the 2015 team looks far less talented than this year's team. Frankly, every one of the OAD's from 2015 should have stayed in school at least another year. They all have glaring weaknesses that could have been addressed in college.

This year's team just seems more complete. Let's see what happens in late January/early February, but right now, the ceiling is the roof.

DevilYouKnow
11-28-2017, 08:50 AM
Justise was/is an Adonis, on top of everything else he brought to the table.

But the looks gap between him and Bags is not huge.

-Straight Male, who still can have a Man Crush now and then.

elvis14
11-28-2017, 09:10 AM
Kinda funny, but at this point, the 2015 team looks far less talented than this year's team. Frankly, every one of the OAD's from 2015 should have stayed in school at least another year. They all have glaring weaknesses that could have been addressed in college.

This year's team just seems more complete. Let's see what happens in late January/early February, but right now, the ceiling is the roof.

You seem to be a bit confused about the criteria for leaving for the NBA. It's not whether or not you have weaknesses, it's just this: can you make an NBA roster to start the clock on your rookie contract?. That's it. If you can make a roster, even as the last guy off the bench, then you go to start that clock. It's just that simple. So no, none of the OAD's from 2015 should have stayed in school. They all have made NBA rosters, are addressing their weaknesses in the NBA and are just about through their rookie contracts.

flyingdutchdevil
11-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Justise was/is an Adonis, on top of everything else he brought to the table.

But the looks gap between him and Bags is not huge.

-Straight Male, who still can have a Man Crush now and then.

No- the gap between Winslow and Bags is huge. Winslow was a defensive stalwart with some solid scoring. Bags is an offensive genius who may be the best Duke freshman of all time. Hell, he may be the best ACC freshman of all time.

Winslow is really damn good. Bags is on another level.

gam7
11-28-2017, 10:00 AM
You seem to be a bit confused about the criteria for leaving for the NBA. It's not whether or not you have weaknesses, it's just this: can you make an NBA roster to start the clock on your rookie contract?. That's it. If you can make a roster, even as the last guy off the bench, then you go to start that clock. It's just that simple. So no, none of the OAD's from 2015 should have stayed in school. They all have made NBA rosters, are addressing their weaknesses in the NBA and are just about through their rookie contracts.

You seem to be confused too. :)

That is not the only factor. I'd say the question of whether a guy can make a roster is the threshold question. If the answer is no, then there is no further analysis necessary. If the answer is yes, then there is more of a cost-benefit analysis going on weighing other factors (e.g., likelihood/desirability of getting a guaranteed contract, player's personal financial situation, importance of getting a degree, extent to which a player likes college, injury history, likelihood of improving draft standing with another year in college, extent to which Adidas is already paying you in college).

MCFinARL
11-28-2017, 01:27 PM
Oh, please.

I see what you did there! :)

CajunDevil
11-28-2017, 01:34 PM
No- the gap between Winslow and Bags is huge. Winslow was a defensive stalwart with some solid scoring. Bags is an offensive genius who may be the best Duke freshman of all time. Hell, he may be the best ACC freshman of all time.

Winslow is really damn good. Bags is on another level.

He wasn't talking about their play, but their "looks"...

flyingdutchdevil
11-28-2017, 01:48 PM
He wasn't talking about their play, but their "looks"...

Jesus. I've been misreading posts left right and center. My bad, DBR.

BullBlue
12-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Further proof that Marvin Bagley does indeed = 6'11" Justice Winslow - you have to watch till the bench reaction in each link.:D

Winslow playing traffic cop to keep the Duke bench from rushing the floor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv7A3r0a7Ns

Bagley playing traffic cop to keep the Duke bench from rushing the floor -
https://streamable.com/s4x6r

elvis14
12-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Further proof that Marvin Bagley does indeed = 6'11" Justice Winslow - you have to watch till the bench reaction in each link.:D

Winslow playing traffic cop to keep the Duke bench from rushing the floor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv7A3r0a7Ns

Bagley playing traffic cop to keep the Duke bench from rushing the floor -
https://streamable.com/s4x6r

First, I love that MP4 video, seen it so many times.

My favorite thing about last night's game was the support that the regulars were giving the subs.

jv001
12-06-2017, 10:56 AM
First, I love that MP4 video, seen it so many times.

My favorite thing about last night's game was the support that the regulars were giving the subs.

I must have missed one of the Plumlees. I only saw three of them. :cool: GoDuke!

elvis14
12-06-2017, 11:35 AM
I must have missed one of the Plumlees. I only saw three of them. :cool: GoDuke!

LOL, whoops! Guess I lost count of the MP's after a while :-)

BullBlue
12-06-2017, 12:01 PM
LOL, whoops! Guess I lost count of the MP's after a while :-)

No, no, you are right. MP4 is Maddie Plumlee, currently a senior on Notre Dame's Volleyball team.