PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Explains #35 Decision

OZ
08-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Perhaps this has been linked; if so, please fell free to delete.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/08/danny-ferry-explains-decision-to-let-marvin-bagley-iii-wear-no-35-for-duke-mens-basketball

kAzE
08-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Cool story, and it makes a lot of sense, considering we're running out of jersey numbers. It was going to happen eventually. 35 will still hang in the rafters with Ferry's name on it. I have no problem with this.

dukelifer
08-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Cool story, and it makes a lot of sense, considering we're running out of jersey numbers. It was going to happen eventually. 35 will still hang in the rafters with Ferry's name on it. I have no problem with this.

Almost zero chance it will be retired twice.

unclsam1
08-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Just being loaned for 9 months.

Olympic Fan
08-16-2017, 03:08 PM
I think the Chronicle story contains one small factual error.

It says that this will be the first time that a retired jersey is worn by an active player.

Not true.

Jeff Mullins' number -- No. 44 -- was retired on the night of Dec. 6, 1994.

That season, senior Cherokee Parks was wearing No. 44. He continued to wear if for the rest of the season (for evidence, check out this story about the famous UNC at Duke game in 1995 -- it has youtube clips that clearly show Parks wearing No. 44 -- two months after Mullins' jersey was retired: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1425878-north-carolina-vs-duke-1995-the-greatest-college-basketball-game-ever-played ).

Also, freshman Thomas Hill was wearing Art Heyman's No. 25 when it was retired on Mar. 4, 1990. Hill wore No. 12 his last three years at Duke. I can't remember whether he changed from 25 to 12 for the postseason games in 1990.

weezie
08-16-2017, 08:42 PM

Me neither. Obviously, Danny loves Duke. His ego is firmly established, was and is always in check. One humble guy, albeit bruised from mistakes, like any other human on the planet.

CameronBornAndBred
08-16-2017, 08:53 PM
His number, and it appears his choice. My choice would have been that he hold strong and leave his number permanently in the rafters where it belongs. Want the digits on your chest revered in Cameron? Earn them, and make them yours. Danny did.

Grumble grumble.

PS..

Duke has retired 13 numbers in total, leaving just 23 non-retired numbers available for active players since no college player can have a digit greater than five on his jersey.

"Just 23"? Seriously? Earn it, and there will be "only" 22.

BD80
08-16-2017, 09:02 PM
His number, and it appears his choice. My choice would have been that he hold strong and leave his number permanently in the rafters where it belongs. Want the digits on your chest revered in Cameron? Earn them, and make them yours. Danny did.

Grumble grumble.

PS..

sagegrouse
08-16-2017, 09:07 PM

It says that this will be the first time that a retired jersey is worn by an active player.

Not true.

That season, senior Cherokee Parks was wearing No. 44. He continued to wear if for the rest of the season (for evidence, check out this story about the famous UNC at Duke game in 1995 -- it has youtube clips that clearly show Parks wearing No. 44 -- two months after Mullins' jersey was retired: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1425878-north-carolina-vs-duke-1995-the-greatest-college-basketball-game-ever-played ).

Also, freshman Thomas Hill was wearing Art Heyman's No. 25 when it was retired on Mar. 4, 1990. Hill wore No. 12 his last three years at Duke. I can't remember whether he changed from 25 to 12 for the postseason games in 1990.
In Mullins speech, Jeff said something like, "Cherokee's got a lot more basketball to play in number 44."

DU82
08-16-2017, 10:14 PM

Not true.

Thomas continued to wear 25 throughout the NCAA Tournament (found on You Tube the Duke-UConn game to confirm.)

Im4howdy
08-17-2017, 12:38 AM
If the largest numeral that can appear on a jersey is 5, then the largest jersey number is 55.
So 55 minus 13 leaves 42 jersey numbers to still pick from, right?

PS..

"Just 23"? Seriously? Earn it, and there will be "only" 22.[/QUOTE]

juise
08-17-2017, 12:47 AM
If the largest numeral that can appear on a jersey is 5, then the largest jersey number is 55.

PS..

If the largest digit that can appear is 5, you can't use 16 or 29 or 48... etc.

Jim3k
08-17-2017, 01:25 AM

PS..

"Just 23"? Seriously? Earn it, and there will be "only" 22.[/QUOTE]

No. A full array of possible numbers is 31: 5x6=30 + 1 (the 00). Subtracting the 13 retired numbers leaves only 18. (Numbers beginning with zero… 01, 02, etc..., are not permitted.) Until recently, Duke did not use the number 0. Moreover, I am unaware that 00 has ever been used by a Duke player.

Since a squad usually has only 13 players, a demand for retired numbers is pretty high since players can’t share a number. And making it even tougher is if a squad exceeds 13 members (walk-ons), the demand becomes even greater. Conceivably all 18 available numbers could be used, and the 19th (hypothetical player) would force the use of a retired number.

So, yeah, there are 18 unretired numbers. And retirement of any can be earned. [I'm betting that it will be a four-year player, so the odds are high.]

BD80
08-17-2017, 03:32 AM
No. A full array of possible numbers is 31: 5x6=30 + 1 (the 00). Subtracting the 13 retired numbers leaves only 18. (Numbers beginning with zero… 01, 02, etc..., are not permitted.) Until recently, Duke did not use the number 0. Moreover, I am unaware that 00 has ever been used by a Duke player.

Since a squad usually has only 13 players, a demand for retired numbers is pretty high since players can’t share a number. And making it even tougher is if a squad exceeds 13 members (walk-ons), the demand becomes even greater. Conceivably all 18 available numbers could be used, and the 19th (hypothetical player) would force the use of a retired number.

So, yeah, there are 18 unretired numbers. And retirement of any can be earned. [I'm betting that it will be a four-year player, so the odds are high.]

I think the 23 is correct. 6x6=36
00, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35,
40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

36-13=23

Olympic Fan
08-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Just to be clear, I think a team can have a 0 or 00 -- not both at one time.

coldriver10
08-17-2017, 08:16 AM
I wasn't aware of the "no digit greater than 5" rule. What is the reasoning?

grounds0405
08-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Number of fingers on (most) refs' hands. So they can tell the scorer's table who gets the foul.

flyingdutchdevil
08-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Number of fingers on (most) refs' hands. So they can tell the scorer's table who gets the foul.

Yeah. It's really complicated when there are 10 players on the court...

With technology and dozens of stat gurus near the court at all times, this whole "5 digit" system is pretty stupid.

Also, I think it's absolutely pointless to retire jerseys if players are going to be using them again for other players. I really don't understand that. If other players can now wear them, what's the point of retiring any jersey? Coach K just opened this up at Duke, just as he did with the 0 and 1 and now every OAD seems to have those numbers.

Troublemaker
08-17-2017, 08:52 AM
Yeah. It's really complicated when there are 10 players on the court...

With technology and dozens of stat gurus near the court at all times, this whole "5 digit" system is pretty stupid.

Also, I think it's absolutely pointless to retire jerseys if players are going to be using them again for other players. I really don't understand that. If other players can now wear them, what's the point of retiring any jersey? Coach K just opened this up at Duke, just as he did with the 0 and 1 and now every OAD seems to have those numbers.

Well, the real honor is to have your name on a jersey hanging in Cameron's rafters, right? And to be known as a player whose number was retired in media guides, programs, wikipedia, etc. It's not like the jersey is coming down from the rafters to be given to Bagley, and I don't think references to Ferry's #35 being retired at Duke will be deleted from wiki. Does this move somewhat diminish the jersey retirement? Perhaps, but I also think 95% of the honor remains, AND since Danny was contacted and approved of the move, I don't see an issue here.

flyingdutchdevil
08-17-2017, 08:55 AM
Well, the real honor is to have your name on a jersey hanging in Cameron's rafters, right? And to be known as a player whose number was retired in media guides, programs, wikipedia, etc. It's not like the jersey is coming down from the rafters to be given to Bagley, and I don't think references to Ferry's #35 being retired at Duke will be deleted from wiki. Does this move somewhat diminish the jersey retirement? Perhaps, but I also think 95% of the honor remains, AND since Danny was contacted and approved of the move, I don't see an issue here.

I don't think there is an issue with Marvin using the jersey number, I just think it's stupid to retire a number if you're going to bend. If the honor is in having your jersey up in the rafters, why not just put a jersey with a name and no number? Doesn't that make more sense?

Troublemaker
08-17-2017, 09:29 AM
I don't think there is an issue with Marvin using the jersey number, I just think it's stupid to retire a number if you're going to bend. If the honor is in having your jersey up in the rafters, why not just put a jersey with a name and no number? Doesn't that make more sense?

Because it looks weird. And yes, because the # being retired is part of it, too. I guess what I'm saying is: you have a jersey retirement ceremony, you see your jersey get raised to the rafters where it remains forever, you see that you are referenced as a retired jersey player in all the places one might find a reference to such a thing. I think you're sated at that point. The fact that the jersey number will now be used by Bagley is a little bit weird, I agree. But the honor remains.

Plus, the program had to ask Danny for permission. Assuming this won't be the last time a request like this is made, we can now think of number retirement as the honored player gaining ownership of that number at Duke to allocate as he sees fit. Presumably there will be times when the retired player denies the request. As others have mentioned, Marvin's lucky that he didn't have to ask Laettner.

jv001
08-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Because it looks weird. And yes, because the # being retired is part of it, too. I guess what I'm saying is: you have a jersey retirement ceremony, you see your jersey get raised to the rafters where it remains forever, you see that you are referenced as a retired jersey player in all the places one might find a reference to such a thing. I think you're sated at that point. The fact that the jersey number will now be used by Bagley is a little bit weird, I agree. But the honor remains.

Plus, the program had to ask Danny for permission. Assuming this won't be the last time a request like this is made, we can now think of number retirement as the honored player gaining ownership of that number at Duke to allocate as he sees fit. Presumably there will be times when the retired player denies the request. As others have mentioned, Marvin's lucky that he didn't have to ask Laettner.

What happens if the retired jersey is owned by a deceased player(Art Heyman)? I guess the coaches could ask the next of kin but I think that jersey should be permanently be retired. Just my take. GoDuke!

flyingdutchdevil
08-17-2017, 10:22 AM
What happens if the retired jersey is owned by a deceased player(Art Heyman)? I guess the coaches could ask the next of kin but I think that jersey should be permanently be retired. Just my take. GoDuke!

Not if a generational talent comes along and wants that number.

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Think of the fans that will want to wear Bagley's jersey. Not that Duke would license it, but there are ways to make it happen. So you are out on the street, or even worse, in Cameron, and see Bagley's name on a jersey above the 35. That ain't right.

burnspbesq
08-17-2017, 12:00 PM
The no numbers higher than five convention is artificial and unnecessary. Lax refs solved this a long time ago.

Two fingers held up = penalty on number two. Two fingers held horizontally = penalty on number seven.

atoomer0881
08-17-2017, 12:02 PM
The no numbers higher than five convention is artificial and unnecessary. Lax refs solved this a long time ago.

Two fingers held up = penalty on number two. Two fingers held horizontally = penalty on number seven.

Not for nothing, isn't this also not an issue in the NBA where players have jerseys with numbers higher than five? For instance, JJ's new number is 17.

-jk
08-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Think of the fans that will want to wear Bagley's jersey. Not that Duke would license it, but there are ways to make it happen. So you are out on the street, or even worse, in Cameron, and see Bagley's name on a jersey above the 35. That ain't right.

We won't see Bagley's name on a jersey with #35 except on Bagley himself (unless folks make their own).

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2017, 12:18 PM
We won't see Bagley's name on a jersey with #35 except on Bagley himself (unless folks make their own).

-jk
That's what I said. "There are ways around this." Either self made, or by unscrupulous dealers. Both will happen.

NSDukeFan
08-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Not if a generational talent comes along and wants that number.

I truly believe Marvin Bagley is the greatest talent to enter college basketball since Harry Giles. Fortunately, Bagley is healthy.

killerleft
08-17-2017, 12:35 PM
I assume Bagley was the one to ask about #35. But what if Capel decided to use the #35 as a recruiting tool? Is it possible that every player whose number has been retired has been asked their feelings on the loan of their jersey number 'just in case' it comes up?

LngdnAlger
08-17-2017, 12:51 PM
In the current state of college basketball, what are the odds more Duke jerseys will be retired? Most extremely talented players are not around very long. Even if a generational, transcendental talent comes for 9 months and leaves for the NBA after that year, would Duke possibly retire the jersey? What would it take? Wooden/POY and National Championship? And Final Four MOP?

I thought that, years ago, there were some baseline requirements for consideration. And we can assume graduation is far far gone as one of those...

Dev11
08-17-2017, 12:55 PM
It's not like the jersey is coming down from the rafters to be given to Bagley

Resolved: Bagley can wear #35, but he has to wear the actual jersey banner that is currently hanging in the rafters that says "Ferry" on it. At the end of the season, he can wash it and return it.

Seriously, this is just a weird consequence of there being a limited number of legal numbers to wear and Duke being successful enough to have already retired a good chunk of them. If this means that the incoming players have more awareness of and interaction with the stars of yesterday, then that is great.

MartyClark
08-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Resolved: Bagley can wear #35, but he has to wear the actual jersey banner that is currently hanging in the rafters that says "Ferry" on it. At the end of the season, he can wash it and return it.

Seriously, this is just a weird consequence of there being a limited number of legal numbers to wear and Duke being successful enough to have already retired a good chunk of them. If this means that the incoming players have more awareness of and interaction with the stars of yesterday, then that is great.

Well stated, I agree.

Henderson
08-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Obviously the underlying problem is the limited number of digits on the hands of NCAA referees. I don't see why jerseys should be "unretired" just because of some physiological insufficiency at the NCAA level. Come on, refs, grow a pair.

In the meantime, we've now done away with the concept of a "retired jersey" at Duke. They are, from now on, "honored jerseys". Whatever. Beat the crap out of the CHeats 2-3 times per year and I'm good with all this nonsense.

flyingdutchdevil
08-17-2017, 02:41 PM

Can you please explain this? Last time I checked, there are 23 available numbers for Duke players to wear. Is the roster bigger than 23 players? I think this is kind of an excuse to make folks feel better that Bagley is using a retired number.

I have no problem if the coaching staff is open to using retired numbers for players, but I assume this is very circumstantial and will only apply to the top of the top of the top (ie the best recruit in years).

thedukelamere
08-17-2017, 02:55 PM
If this means that the incoming players have more awareness of and interaction with the stars of yesterday, then that is great.

Not to mention it hammers home the "Brotherhood" and "Duke Family" branding, of which many of us take pride. I personally think it's awesome that he thanked Danny on national television for allowing him the privilege of renting his number.

Highlander
08-17-2017, 02:55 PM

Why not just leave the # there? Duke could just change their policy to "jersey" retirements rather than "number" retirements. They use the terms interchangeably today, and in practice they mean the same thing. Although now they are no different from "honored" jerseys at UNC. I prefer the current system, and I personally don't mind Ferry's decision. If a kid really wants a #, they have to approach the legend and ask and the legend can decline. I believe Duke gave Danny exclusive rights to #35, and it's his to use at his discretion.

I remember the Bulls having some issues when Jordan returned and had to "un-retire" 23 for him to use (IIRC, he used #45 for a while). Interesting that the NBA has formal rules for retired numbers that apply to all clubs, while the NCAA leaves it up to the schools to set their own rules.

rasputin
08-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Why not just leave the # there? Duke could just change their policy to "jersey" retirements rather than "number" retirements. They use the terms interchangeably today, and in practice they mean the same thing. Although now they are no different from "honored" jerseys at UNC. I prefer the current system, and I personally don't mind Ferry's decision. If a kid really wants a #, they have to approach the legend and ask and the legend can decline. I believe Duke gave Danny exclusive rights to #35, and it's his to use at his discretion.

I remember the Bulls having some issues when Jordan returned and had to "un-retire" 23 for him to use (IIRC, he used #45 for a while). Interesting that the NBA has formal rules for retired numbers that apply to all clubs, while the NCAA leaves it up to the schools to set their own rules.

Some names are as common as numbers. Retiring a name without a number has its own issues.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-17-2017, 03:10 PM
I truly believe Marvin Bagley is the greatest talent to enter college basketball since Harry Giles. Fortunately, Bagley is healthy.

Blah blah, spread comments... I like your style.

Highlander
08-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Some names are as common as numbers. Retiring a name without a number has its own issues.

Sorry - I meant leave the name AND the number.

kAzE
08-17-2017, 03:36 PM
I wasn't aware of the "no digit greater than 5" rule. What is the reasoning?

Little known fact: NBA refs have 9 fingers on each hand, which allows them to cover all numbers on NBA jerseys :rolleyes:

Indoor66
08-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Little known fact: NBA refs have 9 fingers on each hand, which allows them to cover all numbers on NBA jerseys :rolleyes:

Also the fourth digit from the left or right is about two inches longer than the others in order to properly signal to coaches.

Dev11
08-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Can you please explain this? Last time I checked, there are 23 available numbers for Duke players to wear. Is the roster bigger than 23 players? I think this is kind of an excuse to make folks feel better that Bagley is using a retired number.

I have no problem if the coaching staff is open to using retired numbers for players, but I assume this is very circumstantial and will only apply to the top of the top of the top (ie the best recruit in years).

I think it just feels like it's getting old recycling the exact same numbers every year. The retired jersey thing doesn't mean as much when you have 13 retired jerseys, which is the first-world problem of being Duke Basketball. I would bet that even among the regular participants on the board, fewer than 50% can name all the retired jersey numbers.

atoomer0881
08-17-2017, 04:14 PM

This is exactly how I see it. When they school retires your number, it's yours to do with it as you want. You own it. And if you never want to let anyone wear it ever again, then that's your decision. But if once in a blue moon, a player asks you if he can wear it, and you allow it, then what's the big deal? I feel like people are blowing this way out of proportion. Ferry allowing a star to wear his number for one year doesn't automatically do away with retired numbers at Duke. People seem to be acting like the other 12 numbers up there are now up for grabs. If anything, I think this really proves our brotherhood - that old players and new players are still one big family. And Ferry is letting a brother of his borrow his number. No harm, no foul. Just my $0.02.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-17-2017, 04:24 PM
This is exactly how I see it. When they school retires your number, it's yours to do with it as you want. You own it. And if you never want to let anyone wear it ever again, then that's your decision. But if once in a blue moon, a player asks you if he can wear it, and you allow it, then what's the big deal? I feel like people are blowing this way out of proportion. Ferry allowing a star to wear his number for one year doesn't automatically do away with retired numbers at Duke. People seem to be acting like the other 12 numbers up there are now up for grabs. If anything, I think this really proves our brotherhood - that old players and new players are still one big family. And Ferry is letting a brother of his borrow his number. No harm, no foul. Just my $0.02.

This. If Ferry isn't offended, who are we to be offended?

Indoor66
08-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Bingo. But I guess the sensitivity meters need exercise.

duke79
08-17-2017, 04:43 PM

In what sense do you "own" a particularly numbered basketball jersey? Certainly not in a legal sense. This is not a piece of real property that the university has deeded over to you. I view these "retired" numbered jerseys as simply the athletic department saying that they don't intend to let other players in the future wear that number, and nothing more. I don't believe there is any restriction, legal or otherwise, if the school wants to let some other player wear that number (other than maybe the school going back on its promise not to allow someone else to have that number).

I'm glad that Danny Ferry has agreed to let MB to wear "his" number but I think this much a do about nothing!

Jim3k
08-17-2017, 05:12 PM
I think the 23 is correct. 6x6=36
00, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35,
40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

36-13=23

Heh. Proves the reason I don't balance the family checkbook any more. :o

Indoor66
08-17-2017, 05:16 PM

Isn't that the reason they invented QuickBooks?

Edouble
08-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Not to mention it hammers home the "Brotherhood" and "Duke Family" branding, of which many of us take pride. I personally think it's awesome that he thanked Danny on national television for allowing him the privilege of renting his number.

Bo Ryan would have a field day with this.

richmclean
08-17-2017, 08:13 PM

Quickly, best players wearing 50 - 55? Artis Gilmore?

mailman2927
08-17-2017, 08:55 PM

The Admiral

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2017, 09:27 PM

Not the best, but one of my favorites. (And a Champion.) Zoooooooobs!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-17-2017, 09:31 PM
And come next spring, we'll be talking about #3 being retired!

OZ
08-17-2017, 09:52 PM
When I realized that Bagley was going to be wearing #35, my initial reaction was "this doesn't feel right." But then I read the article.
There was nothing about Bagley demanding the number or even asking for it. It seemed that Capel had realized his high school number was 35 and had spoken with Ferry about it... checking with Ferry a second time before they made the offer to Bagley. Ferry made it clear... he made the offer.
Ferry went on to say, "I think it’s terrific for Marvin to wear 35 if he desires, and we’ll warmly welcome him to the Duke family. I hope he has an incredible experience at Duke."
So, I'm with Ferry... I think it's "terrific"... I'll "warmly welcome him to the Duke family" ... and I hope "he has an incredible experience at Duke."

OldPhiKap
08-17-2017, 11:31 PM
I've got two fingers for Lenny Wirtz.

BD80
08-18-2017, 02:55 AM
I've got two fingers for Lenny Wirtz.

He'd see three.

cato
08-18-2017, 03:32 AM
I would bet that even among the regular participants on the board, fewer than 50% can name all the retired jersey numbers.

Huh. It turns out I cannot name all of them without help. But I can name the ones I watched:

Dawkins
Ferry
Laettner
Hurley
Hill
Battier
Williams
Williams
Redick

Wow. What a run.

OZ
08-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Huh. It turns out I cannot name all of them without help. But I can name the ones I watched:

Dawkins
Ferry
Laettner
Hurley
Hill
Battier
Williams
Williams
Redick

Wow. What a run.

Groat 10
Gminski 43
Heyman 25
Mullins 44

I have been blessed to have seen them all play... except Groat. (I'm showing my age)

left_hook_lacey
08-18-2017, 01:04 PM
What happens if Bagley comes in, falls in love with Duke and wants to get the full college experience? He stays all four years, wins one title and is name player of the year, making him eligable to retire #35 with his name on it?

BD80
08-18-2017, 01:37 PM
What happens if Bagley comes in, falls in love with Duke and wants to get the full college experience? He stays all four years, wins one title and is name player of the year, making him eligable to retire #35 with his name on it?

He changes his number in year 2, realizing that he is on the path to owning a part of Cameron's rafters, not just renting.

Olympic Fan
08-18-2017, 01:40 PM

It wouldn't be the first time one number honored two players.

The New York Yankees have retired No. 8 for both Billy Dickey and Yogi Berra.

gep
08-18-2017, 03:50 PM

He could graduate in 3 years... :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
08-18-2017, 03:56 PM
He only wins one?

Tappan Zee Devil
08-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Groat 10
Gminski 43
Heyman 25
Mullins 44

I have been blessed to have seen them all play... except Groat. (I'm showing my age)

Verga 11

At least it should be!

JasonEvans
08-20-2017, 09:44 AM
So, it sure seems like one of the reasons this was done was because Bagley is supposed to be soooo good. It is almost like, "he is worthy of us taking a retired jersey down." Ok, fine. Bagley is supposed to be a mega stud...

...but what if Gary Trent Jr wanted a retired number? He's also really good, though not really considered a generational talent like Bagley. Still, if the kid wanted it and we felt it would help in recruiting him, I'm betting Duke would be ok with it (provided Ferry or whoever was also ok with it). What if a lower-ranked recruit wanted a number? What if Vrank wanted #43? What if Goldwire wanted #11? And here's one for ya'll -- what if a talent like Bagley wanted #35, but Ferry had died? Would we ask Ferry's estate/heirs?

I get there are a lot of reasons to like this -- and I mostly do -- but it does sorta feel like we have opened a can of worms. I'm really hoping we don't make a regular practice of this kind of thing.

-Jason "Dev11 and I should have debated this a bit more on the most recent Podcast" (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-80-emergency-recruiting-update) Evans

sagegrouse
08-20-2017, 12:03 PM
It wouldn't be the first time one number honored two players.

The New York Yankees have retired No. 8 for both Billy Dickey and Yogi Berra.

If Bob Verga's number is ever retired, we'll have two #11's.

wsb3
08-20-2017, 12:31 PM

Sums it up for me..