PDA

View Full Version : Would This Be An NCAA Violation ?

CharlestonDave
08-16-2017, 02:35 AM
A friend of mine asked the following question and I did not know the answer.

Say a highly touted recruit wants to badly play for a certain school, but tells the recruiting coach, that while he would love to commit, the school is just too far away and he wants his parents to be able to come to the games to watch him. The coach says don't worry about that we have alumni who own private jets and they would be very happy to fly your parents to any games. Would this be an NCAA violation?

What if the coach said to the recruit, please don't worry about I will handle it and says nothing about the jets but privides thes transportation when the season started..Would this be an NCAA violation?

What if the coach said nothing at all, convinced the recruit to come, and then when the season started arranged for one of the alumni to provide the transportation on their jet to fly the parents. Would this be an NCAA violation?

BigWayne
08-16-2017, 03:19 AM

Say a highly touted recruit wants to badly play for a certain school, but tells the recruiting coach, that while he would love to commit, the school is just too far away and he wants his parents to be able to come to the games to watch him. The coach says don't worry about that we have alumni who own private jets and they would be very happy to fly your parents to any games. Would this be an NCAA violation?

What if the coach said to the recruit, please don't worry about I will handle it and says nothing about the jets but privides thes transportation when the season started..Would this be an NCAA violation?

What if the coach said nothing at all, convinced the recruit to come, and then when the season started arranged for one of the alumni to provide the transportation on their jet to fly the parents. Would this be an NCAA violation?

Well it would be unless the parents get hired by a school foundation to go around visiting with alumni attending games for the purposes of fundraising.

dukelifer
08-16-2017, 06:25 AM

Yes- similar to providing clothes or a meal to a given athlete - neither discussed during recruiting.

CharlestonDave
08-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Yes- similar to providing clothes or a meal to a given athlete - neither discussed during recruiting.

But this is for his parents not him. What if it were done once or twice only?

camion
08-16-2017, 07:48 AM
But this is for his parents not him. What if it were done once or twice only?

Is it okay if you steal, but give the money to a charity? Is it okay to steal only once or twice instead of on a continuing basis?

-jk
08-16-2017, 08:02 AM
Here's the Duke compliance office (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=1515167&SPID=2387&SPID=106797) summary.

It's a violation.

-jk

CrazyNotCrazie
08-16-2017, 08:20 AM
I think the situation would become a lot fuzzier if the alum charged some nominal amount for the transportation, i.e. pay me $50 a person for a ride on my private jet. This is well below the market value of the trip but theoretically the alum isn't really incurring much incremental cost so can charge whatever he wants.

weezie
08-16-2017, 08:53 AM
I don't think the "nominal charge" would fly either. It's a benefit.

But if someone wants to offer me a $50 trip to San Antonio on their Lear, maybe early April 2018, I'll bring the sandwiches!

CDu
08-16-2017, 09:00 AM
I think the situation would become a lot fuzzier if the alum charged some nominal amount for the transportation, i.e. pay me $50 a person for a ride on my private jet. This is well below the market value of the trip but theoretically the alum isn't really incurring much incremental cost so can charge whatever he wants.

Yeah, still not fuzzy. That is essentially what got Reggie Bush stripped of the Heisman and USC wins vacated. Bush's mom was rented a posh apartment in LA for a minimal monthly payment.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-16-2017, 09:02 AM
I don't think the "nominal charge" would fly either. It's a benefit.

But if someone wants to offer me a $50 trip to San Antonio on their Lear, maybe early April 2018, I'll bring the sandwiches!

But it would make you ineligible!

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-16-2017, 09:07 AM
Well it would be unless the parents get hired by a school foundation to go around visiting with alumni attending games for the purposes of fundraising.
Yeah, that Hansbrough traveled a lot. Runs in the family.

westwall
08-16-2017, 09:29 AM
From talking to parents at Maui tournaments I understand that Duke CAN NOT fund their trips to Maui. They are told by Duke in advance of an up-coming trip and told to save up in order to afford it.
I see no difference between this and the question posed by the OP.

Highlander
08-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Another one I have always been curious about.

I believe players receive tickets for games for their family and friends. Not sure how many or how often, but guessing it varies by sport. Does anyone know if 1) they pay anything for these tickets and 2) if so, are they are allowed to resell them on the private market to recoup their investment? If the tickets are free to them (or considered part of their scholarship), are they allowed to sell them at all?

-jk
08-16-2017, 09:36 AM

I believe players receive tickets for games for their family and friends. Not sure how many or how often, but guessing it varies by sport. Does anyone know if 1) they pay anything for these tickets and 2) if so, are they are allowed to resell them on the private market to recoup their investment? If the tickets are free to them (or considered part of their scholarship), are they allowed to sell them at all?

As I understand it, visiting teams get comp tickets. If players resell them, it's a violation.

-jk

sagegrouse
08-16-2017, 09:51 AM

Players are allowed to get free tickets for their games. I found a reference to players' being allowed six tickets for NCAA tournament games. I thought four tickets was the standard for football and hoops, but the NCAA rules reference didn't pop up when I did a search.

Here's some info from the Notre Dame web site on parents of athletes:

Notre Dame cannot arrange for the purchase of additional tickets to an otherwise sold-out athletic event. Student-athletes will make accommodations for their family members via playerguest.com and the player pass list.

You will be required to provide a picture identification every time you receive a complimentary ticket via a player pass list for an athletic event.

Notre Dame avoids some of the problems by using a player pass list as opposed to giving players actual tickets.

Dev11
08-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Players are allowed to get free tickets for their games. I found a reference to players' being allowed six tickets for NCAA tournament games. I thought four tickets was the standard for football and hoops, but the NCAA rules reference didn't pop up when I did a search.

Here's some info from the Notre Dame web site on parents of athletes:

Notre Dame avoids some of the problems by using a player pass list as opposed to giving players actual tickets.

Duke does this, too. Players and staff enter recipient names into an online portal and don't have to actually handle tickets. It's much easier than handing out lots of tickets to different people. I would imagine that this is the most common system for comp tickets at ticketed events.

hustleplays
08-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Here's the Duke compliance office (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=1515167&SPID=2387&SPID=106797) summary.

It's a violation.

-jk

A while ago, I asked Coach K what was one of the NCAA regulations which he hated the most. His reply: Not being able to help the parents of his players attend their sons' games.

atoomer0881
08-17-2017, 10:37 AM
A while ago, I asked Coach K what was one of the NCAA regulations which he hated the most. His reply: Not being able to help the parents of his players attend their sons' games.

I've never understood the whole concept of prospective players' parents getting employed by a school before the prospect chooses to go there (i.e. Michael Porter Jr.). I don't understand how that isn't an impermissible benefit. I think we all know Michael Porter Jr. would not have picked Washington, then rescinded, then picked Mizzou, if it weren't for his dad getting a job at Washington, losing his job there, and then getting hired at Mizzou. Like am I missing something here?

SCMatt33
08-17-2017, 11:08 AM
I've never understood the whole concept of prospective players' parents getting employed by a school before the prospect chooses to go there (i.e. Michael Porter Jr.). I don't understand how that isn't an impermissible benefit. I think we all know Michael Porter Jr. would not have picked Washington, then rescinded, then picked Mizzou, if it weren't for his dad getting a job at Washington, losing his job there, and then getting hired at Mizzou. Like am I missing something here?

Not really. It used to be a bigger problem, but they changed the rule within the past several years that teams can only do this if they hire the parent as a full fledged assistant. Basically, the NCAA has said if you want to waste one of your three assistant spots on the parent of a single prospect, go right ahead, but you can't hire one as like the Jr. Associate Director of Basketball Operations anymore

atoomer0881
08-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Not really. It used to be a bigger problem, but they changed the rule within the past several years that teams can only do this if they hire the parent as a full fledged assistant. Basically, the NCAA has said if you want to waste one of your three assistant spots on the parent of a single prospect, go right ahead, but you can't hire one as like the Jr. Associate Director of Basketball Operations anymore

Interesting. Yea, the whole thing just seems so shady to me. I wonder if anyone monitors the salary paid to those parents, to see if it goes above and beyond what a normal assistant coach would make.

Richard Berg
08-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Interesting. Yea, the whole thing just seems so shady to me. I wonder if anyone monitors the salary paid to those parents, to see if it goes above and beyond what a normal assistant coach would make.
Impossible -- if they subpoena'd or otherwise clamped down on official university positions, the jobs would simply migrate to subcontractors or private employers. Like (gulp) Vivian Harper.