PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Tre Jones!

Native
08-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Stones the Younger pulls the trigger for the Blue Devils!

NashvilleDevil
08-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Let's hope the Jones boys are as successful as the Plumlee boys.

westwall
08-13-2017, 06:22 PM
Welcome to Duke, Tre

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Stones the Younger pulls the trigger for the Blue Devils!

You must have had that all typed in and ready to click "submit"!
Love, Ima

mattman91
08-13-2017, 06:27 PM
Check out @trejones03's Tweet: https://twitter.com/trejones03/status/896859733788852224?s=09

The video for those that missed it live.

Lil Stones tweeted it out immediately

dukebluesincebirth
08-13-2017, 06:34 PM
Woohooo!!! Very excited for this one! The "clutch" gene must run in the family, right? Welcome Tre!

NYBri
08-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Excellent!!!!

Welcome to the brotherhood, Tre Stones.

wsb3
08-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Very Good. Welcome..

Furniture
08-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Wow. Great film!!
welcome!!

hudlow
08-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Happy Tre Day!

moonpie23
08-13-2017, 06:42 PM
awesome!!!! welcome to the party, Tre....

mattman91
08-13-2017, 06:43 PM
awesome!!!! welcome to the party, Tre...

Party? You got the Zima?

:cool:

duke4ever19
08-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Full disclosure . . . I've not really followed Tre's recruitment or watched highlights, but after looking at just a couple of minutes of footage on youtube, is it fair to say he has a little more in the "hops" area in comparison with his brother?

I'll be thrilled if he can come anywhere near Tyus' ability in the other areas of basketball besides the vertical leaping stuff.

Troublemaker
08-13-2017, 06:49 PM
High school stats (http://www.mnbasketballhub.com/roster_players/10241700) (click on "Career Stats" under his photo)

AAU stats (http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/17811889)

Welcome, Tre!

Troublemaker
08-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Full disclosure . . . I've not really followed Tre's recruitment or watched highlights, but after looking at just a couple of minutes of footage on youtube, is it fair to say he has a little more in the "hops" area in comparison with his brother?

I'll be thrilled if he can come anywhere near Tyus' ability in the other areas of basketball besides the vertical leaping stuff.

Yes, Tre's reputed to be slightly more athletic than Tyus, a better defender, but not as good a shooter. He's supposed to have similar playmaking ability and intangibles. Obviously a great get if all this is true.

CDu
08-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Love it. Hopefully one of many top recruits in his class to come on board!

Dukehky
08-13-2017, 07:26 PM
Welcome home, big guy.

Bagley set to announce tomorrow night at 11pm as well. Duke tweeted out a shout out to for "left handers day." It wasn't very subtle. For those who don't know, Bagley is left handed.

I think we're looking at a good couple of days for Duke fans.

rsvman
08-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Awesome news! Welcome to the brotherhood, Tre! You are going to fit right in.

Newton_14
08-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the team little brother! We look forward to seeing you use your talents in Duke Blue!

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Check out @trejones03's Tweet: https://twitter.com/trejones03/status/896859733788852224?s=09

Welcome Stones 2.0!

And one of the best announcement videos I've seen yet.

Woohoo!

NSDukeFan
08-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Woohoo. Great news!

weezie
08-13-2017, 08:32 PM
One big happy family! Well done!

Chard
08-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Great news. Hope he can allowed to be himself and not be compared to his brother too much. Inevitable but hopefully minimal.

One minor correction to the post on the main page. The Plumlees went to Christ School, not the Asheville school.

subzero02
08-13-2017, 08:54 PM
We've got another basketball Jones...

proelitedota
08-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Welcome the inheritor of the Stones.

kAzE
08-13-2017, 10:03 PM
Welcome to Duke, Mr. Jones. Great decision.

I'm really loving the no-nonsense early commit. Having the top point guard in place is really going to help with the other guys we are after in 2018.

Expecting more good news from Mr. Bagley tomorrow.

Lets go Duke!

UrinalCake
08-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Great news. Hope he can allowed to be himself and not be compared to his brother too much. Inevitable but hopefully minimal.

Totally agree; choosing to come to Duke means he is opening himself up to comparisons against the standard that Tyus set. It would have been understandable (to me) if he had chosen to go elsewhere so that he wouldn't have to face that constant scrutiny. But it sounds like he feels he can create his own path even at Duke, so more power to him.

BD80
08-13-2017, 10:48 PM

Wow, that's some production value.

I love the message underlying the video.

Sounds like a GREAT young man.

elvis14
08-13-2017, 11:04 PM
So very happy that Tre is coming to Duke. Just feels like he belongs here.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-14-2017, 12:31 AM
Welcome to Duke, Mr. Jones! We're very glad to have you join us! :cool: LGD GTHc!

UrinalCake
08-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Scout has him listed as the #1 PG, #7 overall which is similar to where Tyus was ranked. They also say he's 6'3. Meanwhile ESPN has him as the #4PG, #19 overall, and 6'1.

I know he climbed the rankings quite a bit this past summer, but can someone give a breakdown of his game, what his impact is likely to be in year 1 (where he is likely to be given the reins immediately) and how long he'll be in school?

Doria
08-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Very excited about this! Welcome, Tre!

flyingdutchdevil
08-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Scout has him listed as the #1 PG, #7 overall which is similar to where Tyus was ranked. They also say he's 6'3. Meanwhile ESPN has him as the #4PG, #19 overall, and 6'1.

I know he climbed the rankings quite a bit this past summer, but can someone give a breakdown of his game, what his impact is likely to be in year 1 (where he is likely to be given the reins immediately) and how long he'll be in school?

I've read a lot, watched a bunch of highlights, and this is the impression I get (and to make it easier, I am comparing him to Tyus. Yes - this will get done. A lot. They are very similar, so using Tyus as a benchmark makes complete sense):

1) Court Vision: He's got incredible court vision. Really understands the game. Very smart player. Tyus = Tre

2) Scoring: Tre is a very good scorer, and he's shockingly adept at scoring at the rim. His 3pt shot is a little shaky, but still reliable. Tyus > Tre

3) Defense: Tre is physical on defense and looks pretty good. But this is HS, not college. He isn't labeled a defensive-stopper, but he's got good instincts. Tyus < Tre

4) Clutch: Tre takes over games. Tyus was arguably one of the best closers in Duke history. Tre made a reputation for himself in AAU this summer because of his "clutchability". Tyus >= Tre, but it's really, really close.

5) Intangibles: I'm sorry, but I'm taking Tyus over nearly any Duke player in the last 10 years for intangibles. If Tre gets close, that's incredible. Tyus > Tre.

6) Physical appearance. I think Tre looks better. Tyus < Tre

Bike4Fun
08-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Pebbles!

CrazyNotCrazie
08-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Signing another member of Ty and the Family Stones makes me want to Dance to the Music! Welcome to Duke, Tre, and good luck recruiting others to join you. Enjoy your senior year.

Troublemaker
08-14-2017, 11:00 AM

I think the safest bet is that Tre's the likely starter at PG as a freshman, a good player, but not as good as his brother. No shame in that, of course, as Tyus had one of the great freshman seasons ever.

One thing that might disrupt my "safest" bet, though, and Tre being "given the reins" as you put it, is if Duke heavily pursues and eventually lands RJ Barrett. Barrett, from watching videos, seems like a primary ball-handler to me even though he's not a true PG. We'll have to see what Duke does with a re-classified Barrett. If Duke believes all these ball-handlers can co-exist (Garland is a PG, and Reddish played PG for his high school team last season) and pursues Barrett hard, that could change Tre's freshman season outlook.

ChillinDuke
08-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Man, I love this so much.

Welcome to Duke, Tre.

- Chillin

IrishDevil
08-14-2017, 12:21 PM
I am always encouraged when close ties, like close friendships or family, result in successive recruitment. On one hand, one could choose to see it as instances where Duke appeals to a certain personality, and close friend groups and families simply include similar personalities. On the other hand, another possible interpretation is that those that know the Duke program best, like those who see more of it through close friends or family who have gone before them, love the Duke program most. I think the whole picture is a healthy mix of the two plus plenty of other factors (hello transfers), but it encourages me nonetheless.

killerleft
08-14-2017, 01:04 PM
Here's Tre's commitment video, if twitter's not your thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHrlU_l-jcU

moonpie23
08-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Here's Tre's commitment video, if twitter's not your thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHrlU_l-jcU

wow.....very well done.....

i dig it,,,

UrinalCake
08-14-2017, 08:58 PM
I've read a lot, watched a bunch of highlights, and this is the impression I get (and to make it easier, I am comparing him to Tyus. Yes - this will get done. A lot. They are very similar, so using Tyus as a benchmark makes complete sense):

Thanks for the breakdown. Sounds like he's a perfect fit to build the 2018 class around. As far as shooting, I also recall that Tyus wasn't a great three point shooter in high school and there were some concerns as to how well he'd shoot in college (similar concerns were voiced about Winslow, and Tatum, and now Duval). For his season at Duke Tyus shot 38%, which is good but not great, so I think his reputation as a lights out shooter is very skewed by how money he was at the end of games.

4Gen
08-14-2017, 10:56 PM
Tre's commitment was a foregone inevitability, sort of like Tyler and Cody Zeller.

JasonEvans
08-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Tre's commitment was a foregone inevitability, sort of like Tyler and Cody Zeller.

I'm jut bummed Jalek Felton didn't choose to blaze his own path.

tbyers11
08-15-2017, 01:09 PM

If this is a subtle, tongue-in-cheek jab that Ol' Roy is such a bad coach that it was inevitable the Cody won't follow his brother to college, bravo.

Otherwise, I am a bit confused because Cody went to Indiana and didn't follow his big brother Tyler to UNC (or his other big brother Luke to ND)

Back to the thread:

Welcome Tre! I think you might a great decision!

jimsumner
08-15-2017, 01:11 PM
If this is a subtle, tongue-in-cheek jab that Ol' Roy is such a bad coach that it was inevitable the Cody won't follow his brother to college, bravo.

Otherwise, I am a bit confused because Cody went to Indiana and didn't follow his big brother Tyler to UNC (or his other big brother Luke to ND)

Back to the thread:

Welcome Tre! I think you might a great decision!

I think it was a subtle gibe at anyone who thinks that Tre Jones following his brother to Duke was somehow inevitable.

tbyers11
08-15-2017, 01:25 PM
I think it was a subtle gibe at anyone who thinks that Tre Jones following his brother to Duke was somehow inevitable.

Gotcha. I didn't think Tre coming to Duke was inevitable and I know the coaching staff worked their tails off. However, I did think we had a fairly big leg up in the situation because of the family connection.

Perhaps that's why I missed that take.

CDu
08-15-2017, 01:28 PM

Or, for that matter, like Jeff and Jason Capel (not that I mind the result in that case).

jimsumner
08-15-2017, 01:37 PM
Jason was pretty much locked up for Duke until the family attended that infamous Duke-FSU game Jeff's senior year, when portions of the home crowd booed Jeff.

The family was not amused.

Before Tre exploded this summer into a top-10 recruit, there were some folks who considered him a "legacy" recruit, as if K was going to offer him a scholarship out of appreciation for his brother's contribution to the program.

Note that Duke did not recruit E.J. Singler, Baker Dunleavy, Charles Boozer or Darius Nelson. Duke started to recruit Danny Hurley but he told them that he wanted to make his own mark at a school different from that of his brother.

CrazyNotCrazie
08-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Jason was pretty much locked up for Duke until the family attended that infamous Duke-FSU game Jeff's senior year, when portions of the home crowd booed Jeff.

The family was not amused.

Before Tre exploded this summer into a top-10 recruit, there were some folks who considered him a "legacy" recruit, as if K was going to offer him a scholarship out of appreciation for his brother's contribution to the program.

Note that Duke did not recruit E.J. Singler, Baker Dunleavy, Charles Boozer or Darius Nelson. Duke started to recruit Danny Hurley but he told them that he wanted to make his own mark at a school different from that of his brother.

It is a credit to Jeff that he has returned to Duke and become such an integral part of the program after leaving under less than ideal circumstances. I was at that game and it was not so much booing as a collective "don't put that guy in" groan. Which was still not good.

The key question is: what happened to Duhon's little brother?

ElSid
08-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Haven't seen a mixtape posted

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/792468

Looks solid. Good instincts. Probably more 6'1" than 6'3".

Can build around him most likely. Or he outperforms like Tyus which wouldn't be bad either

jimsumner
08-16-2017, 12:23 PM
It is a credit to Jeff that he has returned to Duke and become such an integral part of the program after leaving under less than ideal circumstances. I was at that game and it was not so much booing as a collective "don't put that guy in" groan. Which was still not good.

The key question is: what happened to Duhon's little brother?

I also remember the collective groan. But I've talked with Jeff about this and he is adamant that he, his father and his brother all heard booing.

cato
08-16-2017, 12:54 PM
I also remember the collective groan. But I've talked with Jeff about this and he is adamant that he, his father and his brother all heard booing.

FWIW, I recall booing. It was quite a while ago, and memories are not reliable, but I recall because it was so shocking.

jimsumner
08-16-2017, 01:54 PM
FWIW, I recall booing. It was quite a while ago, and memories are not reliable, but I recall because it was so shocking.

Can I ask for some clarification?

Do you mean you recall hearing other people booing?

Or that you recall being one of the people booing?

cato
08-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Can I ask for some clarification?

Do you mean you recall hearing other people booing?

Or that you recall being one of the people booing?

Yikes! I was not one of the people booing. I recall hearing people booing, and being shocked. It was the shock that made the memory stick along side a handful of negative moments in Cameron that really stuck with me (Randolph Childress throwing the ball into the air and celebrating at center court, Robert Traylor (RIP) going down the center of the lane and dunking being two others).

Jeff was one year ahead of me, and I have always been pulling for him.

summerwind03
08-16-2017, 09:13 PM

I would describe it as an intake of breath, not even a groan, but I cannot believe that there was actual booing. I don't want to believe it, in any event.

fraggler
08-18-2017, 04:01 PM
There absolutely was booing. I almost came to blows with someone I took to task for booing. If our job as fans is to support our team no matter what, there shouldn't have even been a collective groan or gasp, let alone booing. It was shameful.

Steven43
08-18-2017, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the breakdown. Sounds like he's a perfect fit to build the 2018 class around. As far as shooting, I also recall that Tyus wasn't a great three point shooter in high school and there were some concerns as to how well he'd shoot in college (similar concerns were voiced about Winslow, and Tatum, and now Duval). For his season at Duke Tyus shot 38%, which is good but not great, so I think his reputation as a lights out shooter is very skewed by how money he was at the end of games.

Just don't understand why it's so difficult for so many of these elite athletes who have been playing basketball their entire lives to shoot well from the outside. I make 'me all day long at the Y in Durham.

CDu
08-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Just don't understand why it's so difficult for so many of these elite athletes who have been playing basketball their entire lives to shoot well from the outside. I make 'me all day long at the Y in Durham.

Much easier done with no defender and time to set up your shot at your own rhythm. Another thing entirely with a tall and athletic defender breathing down your neck.

Chris Duhon struggled as a shooter in college and in the NBA. But when he would play pickup games with the locals at WilRec? The guy would never miss.

When you don't feel any defensive pressure, shooting %s tend to go way up.

jimsumner
08-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Much easier done with no defender and time to set up your shot at your own rhythm. Another thing entirely with a tall and athletic defender breathing down your neck.

Chris Duhon struggled as a shooter in college and in the NBA. But when he would play pickup games with the locals at WilRec? The guy would never miss.

When you don't feel any defensive pressure, shooting %s tend to go way up.

I assumed Steven43 was being facetious.

Remember the old alumni games? In one of those, Billy King buried one 3 after another after another. King, of course, was a notably bad shooter at Duke.

I interviewed him for an article a year or so later and brought up that alumni game. He just laughed and said something along the lines of "well, they were guarding me when I was at Duke."

Furniture
08-30-2017, 10:46 PM
http://www.flohoops.com/video/1249152-keeping-up-with-the-joneses#.Wad169EpChB

wow. This is well worth the watch. What an impressive family!!

atoomer0881
08-30-2017, 11:12 PM

What a great video! Thanks so much for sharing. Like you said, what an impressive family. I was fortunate enough to be in Indy in 2015 to attend the Final Four, and rant into Tyus's parents on the street prior to the Championship game Monday night, and could immediately tell he came from a great family, starting at the top. Very excited to have Tre on board for next year!

ChillinDuke
08-31-2017, 09:27 AM

Fantastic. Thanks for posting.

- Chillin

Troublemaker
04-12-2018, 09:11 PM
little Slam magazine feature on Tre.

Article (http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/high-school/tre-jones-duke/)

Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTJvo0pKOl8)