PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2017 preseason and season thread

CDu
08-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Not sure if there is one floating around, but pro football is back!

The Panthers opened things up this week and all the buzz is about Max McCaffrey's brother.

Rookie QBs in Houston and Chicago had nice debuts. Watson played solidly showing his legs and decent accuracy.

Meanwhile, in Chicago Trubisky is doing his best to create a QB controversy. Glennon and Sanchez both stunk tonight, but Trubisky has looked electric. Great mobility, quick reads, quick release, and very accurate. 13-15 for 123 yards and a TD, 123 passer rating so far. The plan was to have him essentially redshirt this year and let Glennon start. But if things keep going this way it is going to be a very hot seat for Glennon.

rsvman
08-10-2017, 11:24 PM
I love football and especially the nfl but I have two rules.

1) I watch zero pre-season games. Zero. No matter what.

2) No football in August. Football starts in September.

Carry on.

CDu
08-10-2017, 11:26 PM

Carry on.

I take any football I can get. Especially in August, when the doldrums of the baseball season hit and we aren't quite yet to the heat of the pennant race.

Acymetric
08-11-2017, 01:57 AM
I take any football I can get. Especially in August, when the doldrums of the baseball season hit and we aren't quite yet to the heat of the pennant race.

The doldrums of baseball hit when the season starts and lasts through the third game of the world series.

budwom
08-11-2017, 07:56 AM
I keep hoping that the NFL will go out of business so ESPN can talk about something else January thru December.

Highlander
08-11-2017, 11:31 AM

Carry on.

I do get a kick out of how all the conversations this time of year basically follow two threads:

Guy #1: "Did you see XX player last night? Our team won a close one and is looking great! He's going to be a hall of famer!"
Guy #2: "Relax, it's just the preaseason. It means nothing."

Or,

Guy #1: "Did you see XX player last night? He looked horrible/sat out/was scratched! Our team lost and is really struggling. We'll be lucky to win 4 games."
Guy #2: "Relax, it's just the preseason. It means nothing."

DUKIECB
08-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Cowboy's Elliott suspended for 6 games for violating the league's domestic abuse policy.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20302469/ezekiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-suspended-six-games

The interesting thing here is he has never been charged with a crime. The league investigated and came to this decision on their own.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Cowboy's Elliott suspended for 6 games for violating the league's domestic abuse policy.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20302469/ezekiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-suspended-six-games

The interesting thing here is he has never been charged with a crime. The league investigated and came to this decision on their own.

They must have either a confession or some iron clad evidence.

Jeffrey
08-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Just because an employee violates a company policy does not mean they committed a crime. Elliott was suspended for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

BD80
08-11-2017, 05:33 PM

Yep, he destroyed his cell phone ...

Jeffrey
08-11-2017, 05:34 PM

IMO, it's sad how differently the Cowboy's react to their employees behavior dependent upon how important the employee is to the organization. I thought the Cowboy's "must have either a confession or some iron clad evidence" when they released a defensive back, in July, for shoplifting at a convenience store. A day later the local police said it was a different person who shoplifted.

CDu
08-11-2017, 06:29 PM
IMO, it's sad how differently the Cowboy's react to their employees behavior dependent upon how important the employee is to the organization. I thought the Cowboy's "must have either a confession or some iron clad evidence" when they released a defensive back, in July, for shoplifting at a convenience store. A day later the local police said it was a different person who shoplifted.

Sadly, this is not a problem limited to the Cowboys. Talent gets one far more leash in many many places.

Jeffrey
08-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Sadly, this is not a problem limited to the Cowboys. Talent gets one far more leash in many many places.

No doubt, it's all about the money! Forget man's best friend, we want Michael Vick!

BD80
08-11-2017, 09:12 PM

Not limited to, but much more common to the 'boys.

Even with the player that was falsely arrested, it was one of his "posse" that was using the player's ID.

Jerry Jones is an egomaniac that would hire [insert despicable historical figure] if it gave him a better chance of making the playoffs (the Super Bowl no longer a feasible goal).

chriso
08-12-2017, 09:26 AM
I think there should be playoffs and another Super Bowl in the preseason. That's the only way to know for sure who has the best second and third string players. I've already given up on my Bengals this year. Is it too soon? I look forward to another generation of ineptitude from my team. Brewing coffee; not feeling optimistic just yet. :)

JasonEvans
08-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Well, this post by EE's girlfriend is pretty convincing evidence. Those bruises are real.

https://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/zeke-elliot-girlfriend-bruises.png

rsvman
08-13-2017, 07:47 PM
I think there should be playoffs and another Super Bowl in the preseason. That's the only way to know for sure who has the best second and third string players. I've already given up on my Bengals this year. Is it too soon? I look forward to another generation of ineptitude from my team. Brewing coffee; not feeling optimistic just yet. :)

I think they are going to be worse this year. If I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up.

JNort
08-14-2017, 01:45 AM
I think they are going to be worse this year. If I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up.

A healthy Dalton and Green together plus Mixon should be pretty darn good.