PDA

View Full Version : Premier League 2017-2018 (and related stuff)

OldPhiKap
08-06-2017, 09:02 AM
FA Community Shield match about to start between the Gunners and the Blues. League starts this week. My weekend mornings just got better!

duke74
08-06-2017, 12:54 PM
FA Community Shield match about to start between the Gunners and the Blues. League starts this week. My weekend mornings just got better!

And an excellent, albeit meaningless, result. COYG

OldPhiKap
08-06-2017, 01:23 PM
COYG

What do you think of the Sanchez situation? Incredible talent, but it has to be a big nagative in the locker room.

luburch
08-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Nice to have the PL back. Makes weekend morning's much more enjoyable.

Not really sure what to make of the contender's yet. May have to wait until the window closes to know for sure. My early money would be on City.

duke74
08-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Nice to have the PL back. Makes weekend morning's much more enjoyable.

Not really sure what to make of the contender's yet. May have to wait until the window closes to know for sure. My early money would be on City.

Especially if they nab Alexis.

luburch
08-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Can't believe the league is kicking off tomorrow night (afternoon for me). Not the biggest fan of the Friday night fixtures.

I think the top six teams are pretty set. City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs. What order will they finish in? Not sure. City should be the favorites and I expect Chelsea to take a step back.

Any big transfers left that could shakeup the league outlook? Coutinho to Barca is the first one that comes to mind.

OldPhiKap
08-12-2017, 09:29 AM
And the Reds get the . . . er . . . nevermind.

burnspbesq
08-13-2017, 10:31 AM
None of the top teams have looked convincing so far on the opening weekend. Huddersfield deserve to be on top of the table.

burnspbesq
08-13-2017, 12:54 PM
None of the top teams have looked convincing so far on the opening weekend. Huddersfield deserve to be on top of the table.

Spoke too soon, but I wasn't expecting West Ham to be so awful.

Tommac
08-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Spoke too soon, but I wasn't expecting West Ham to be so awful.

Is Joe Hart really that bad or would much of the blame fall on the West Ham back line? I only saw the last two scores by Man U so I'm not sure of the circumstances of the earlier goals. Ugly for West Ham.

luburch
08-14-2017, 06:45 AM
Fun first weekend. United looked awfully impressive yesterday. Spurs beat a ten man Newcastle side.

City and Arsenal both managed wins. Liverpool continue to struggle against lower-tier teams. Chelsea had two men sent off and were beaten by Burnley. Most exciting league in the world.

Spurs/Chelsea is the most interesting match on paper next week. City/Everton on Monday shouldn't be too shabby either.

luburch
08-21-2017, 06:54 AM
Chelsea take down Spurs 2-1 in the biggest match of the weekend. City/Everton still to come later today.

United cruise to another 4-0 victory, but still haven't played anyone of consequence.

Liverpool bounced back and Stoke, with 28% possession, got the better of Arsenal. The two squads play on Sunday.

Chelsea play Everton next week. Rough two weeks for The Toffees. Spurs play Burnley next Sunday. Keep your eye on that match. Burnley usually play the top squads very well.

burnspbesq
08-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Chelsea take down Spurs 2-1 in the biggest match of the weekend. City/Everton still to come later today.

United cruise to another 4-0 victory, but still haven't played anyone of consequence.

Liverpool bounced back and Stoke, with 28% possession, got the better of Arsenal. The two squads play on Sunday.

Chelsea play Everton next week. Rough two weeks for The Toffees. Spurs play Burnley next Sunday. Keep your eye on that match. Burnley usually play the top squads very well.

Happy to have gotten away from Etihad with a point and no injuries. The Death March continues on Thursday night away to Hajduk Split in the second leg of the Europa League playoff round (we're up 2-0), followed by Chelsea, Spurs, and ManU. Will be happy to come out of that mess with five points out of a possible twelve and a place in the group stage.

Turk
08-22-2017, 04:15 PM

The Young Turks have been excited too. Alas, I remember when all I needed for Saturday mornings was Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner. Now, all I have to keep me occupied is my perfectly manicured weed-free lawn.

Furniture
10-03-2017, 09:57 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uACoWiQcYNs

this is a funny vid from Duke soccer fans. I love it when they follow the linesman (narrator say it's the ref).

luburch
10-04-2017, 08:11 AM
International breaks will be the death of me :(

The two Manchester clubs seem to be in control of the league. Still early days, but they have been quite impressive.

duke74
10-04-2017, 12:36 PM
International breaks will be the death of me :(

The two Manchester clubs seem to be in control of the league. Still early days, but they have been quite impressive.

Very. And the rumors are that MU will be making a move for Ozil (while Alexis still flirts with City)

Gunners playing better this month after the Liverpool debacle. Early, but perhaps all is not lost at the Emirates (yet)

RPS
10-04-2017, 06:53 PM

United has been surprisingly impressive, but they haven't played anybody yet.

As a side note, I'm fascinated by the prospect of the EPL bidding for USA's #10. CP is obviously a fantastic prospect -- and already an accomplished player -- who could really be a big American draw like none before. Making those sorts of marketing plays has always been a United strength, but we'll see. Liverpool might have an edge with Klopp's Dortmund connection, but...

luburch
10-23-2017, 11:08 AM
To no surprise, Ronald Koeman was sacked today. Everton have been nothing but disappointing this season.

Furniture
10-23-2017, 09:24 PM
To no surprise, Ronald Koeman was sacked today. Everton have been nothing but disappointing this season.

He deserves it for buying Rooney.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Chelsea - ManU right now.

One thing I don’t like about soccer: I don’t want either team to win —which still gives them both a point.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Conte busies himself and doesn’t shake Mourinho’s hand while Mourihno sorta waits at the opening of the tunnel . . . .

duke74
01-31-2018, 03:35 PM
An annual publication. 10 EPL teams in the top 20.

Enjoy.

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/sports-business-group/deloitte-uk-sbg-dfml2018.pdf

sciencegeek
02-04-2018, 04:27 PM
That was an exciting game today, with Liverpool and Tottenham... Two goals in time added on, with a 2-2 draw.

duke74
02-04-2018, 06:13 PM
That was an exciting game today, with Liverpool and Tottenham... Two goals in time added on, with a 2-2 draw.

And how about my Gunners' rout of the Toffies....? Not a great return for Theo, but a good result. (And Juve scored a touchdown v Sassuolo, 7-0)

OldPhiKap
03-17-2018, 10:47 AM
Anyone have any insight into Serie A? I may be able to catch a match (Roma v. Fiorentina) but do not know much about the league or teams. I know Fiorentina’s captain just died tragically in his sleep, but that’s about all I’ve got.

Any info appreciated.

duke74
03-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Anyone have any insight into Serie A? I may be able to catch a match (Roma v. Fiorentina) but do not know much about the league or teams. I know Fiorentina’s captain just died tragically in his sleep, but that’s about all I’ve got.

Any info appreciated.

When in doubt, root for Juventus. I follow them and (gulp) the Gunners in the EPL. Juve has dominated Serie A in the past few years. Less success in UCL.

Forza Juve.

awhom111
03-18-2018, 12:52 AM

Any info appreciated.

The league was once arguably the best in the world, but hit rock bottom after the Calciopoli match-fixing scandal that included Juventus getting relegated. After Juventus re-established itself, the rest of the teams started going through their own struggles especially with stronger finances in other countries with a lot of Italian teams having poor stadium situations exacerbated by poor economic conditions in the country. Juventus has been the powerhouse, but this season has been interesting because Napoli has pushed them. The Milan clubs are traditional powers, but both of them are in the midst of rebuilding after some bad seasons. Roma has American ownership and is in the process of building their own stadium. There are plenty of other clubs with history, but quite a few of them float between the top half and the relegation fight. Don't support Lazio unless you understand what their fanbase stands for.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2018, 07:23 AM
The league was once arguably the best in the world, but hit rock bottom after the Calciopoli match-fixing scandal that included Juventus getting relegated. After Juventus re-established itself, the rest of the teams started going through their own struggles especially with stronger finances in other countries with a lot of Italian teams having poor stadium situations exacerbated by poor economic conditions in the country. Juventus has been the powerhouse, but this season has been interesting because Napoli has pushed them. The Milan clubs are traditional powers, but both of them are in the midst of rebuilding after some bad seasons. Roma has American ownership and is in the process of building their own stadium. There are plenty of other clubs with history, but quite a few of them float between the top half and the relegation fight. Don't support Lazio unless you understand what their fanbase stands for.

Thanks!

Had to look up the part about Lazio — pretty disturbing/disgusting. I am hoping the club condemned those acts.

luburch
03-18-2018, 01:53 PM
I caught a match at the San Siro when I was in Italy a few years back. It was easy to snag a ticket and I enjoyed watching a game in a famous stadium. Personally, I think it would be worth catching the match.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2018, 03:22 PM
I caught a match at the San Siro when I was in Italy a few years back. It was easy to snag a ticket and I enjoyed watching a game in a famous stadium. Personally, I think it would be worth catching the match.

Agreed. It is at Stadio Olimpico, and Roma currently holds the third entry into the European Champions League (cross-town rival Lazio is only a few points behind).

gus
03-19-2018, 12:45 PM
Agreed. It is at Stadio Olimpico...

No. Just down the street. The Celinto Catayente.

duke74
04-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Wenger stepping down after the season. Innovator in his time, but this is the right move for my Gunners now.

wilson
04-20-2018, 09:08 AM
Wenger stepping down after the season. Innovator in his time, but this is the right move for my Gunners now.It was also the right move for the Gunners about 5 years ago. And 4 years ago. And...well, you get it.

luburch
04-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Likely should have happened years ago, but they seem to finally have made some backroom appointments to distribute the workload.

Interested to see who they will target. Missed out on Pep and Klopp by waiting too long.

duke74
04-20-2018, 02:06 PM
It was also the right move for the Gunners about 5 years ago. And 4 years ago. And...well, you get it.

True, but if I recall, we did win the FA cup in 2017...but out of UCL this year and next....

wilson
04-20-2018, 09:11 PM
True, but if I recall, we did win the FA cup in 2017...but out of UCL this year and next...Are you already conceding this year’s Europa? Atletico is a tall order, but not at all impossible.

duke74
04-20-2018, 09:27 PM
Are you already conceding this year’s Europa? Atletico is a tall order, but not at all impossible.

Good point. I was actually focusing on our place on the table, but, I guess, yes, given my feelings about this team. I would be thrilled if we got through (like Man U last year), but would be surprised. (Hope for the best...expect the worst)

OldPhiKap
05-19-2018, 12:16 PM
FA Cup just kicking off. Chelsea v. Man U

Furniture
05-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Boring game so far..

OldPhiKap
05-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Boring game so far..

Yup, ended that way too. Lots of nerves, lots of sloppy passes.

Thinking of doing a guy’s trip to UK next year to see some EPL games but getting tickets looks daunting. Anyone have experience with EpL Stubhub, or just getting tickets?

devilish
05-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Has anyone participated in Fantasy Premier League? Any interest in forming a mini league for DBR next season?

Furniture
05-20-2018, 01:37 PM
I’m in.

OldPhiKap
05-20-2018, 01:52 PM
Is anyone not pulling for Liverpool to beat Real Madrid?

devilish
05-20-2018, 06:58 PM
I’m in.

Ok. I’ve participated in leagues but never started one. I assume though, I will have to wait until later this summer when the Premier League site updates to the 2018-19 season. At that point, I will post the link and entry code in a new thread on this board.

luburch
05-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Is anyone not pulling for Liverpool to beat Real Madrid?

Me.

Two of my least favorite teams, so it's a nightmare scenario. Rather have Madrid than Liverpool though.

luburch
05-23-2018, 07:10 AM
Arsenal appoint Unai Emery as their new coach. I've seen a wide range of opinions on this hire from Arsenal fans.

duke74
05-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Arsenal appoint Unai Emery as their new coach. I've seen a wide range of opinions on this hire from Arsenal fans.

And many thought Arteta was going to be the guy.

There are some mixed feelings about his time at PSG, but experienced.

Looking back Wenger had an incredible run, despite a fall off. Got through the debt of Emirates period and cheap owners. Just wish he didn't develop players for other clubs.

But consistency in approach is a good thing, unless time has changed the environment.