PDA

View Full Version : Netflix : Ozark

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Anyone else watch this? Pretty intense.

left_hook_lacey
08-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Read the bio, looks interesting. Might give it a whirl.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-05-2017, 12:28 PM
I will be interested to discuss if anyone sees has seen it.

lotusland
08-06-2017, 01:34 PM
I just finished Season 1 (I assume there will be a season 2) of Ozark and enjoyed it very much. To me it contained elements of other recent binge worthy worthy series like "Breaking Bad", "Justified" and "Bloodline". Jason Bateman's character reminds me of Walter White in that, on the surface at least, he seems illl suited to be mixed up with violent criminal cartels yet there is a cool intensity with a hint of arrogance about him. The Mexican drug cartel presence is also BB like. The comparison to Justified is due to the supporting cast of downtrodden Ozark hillbillies and folksy redneck villains, especially the Langmores and Snells, who are reminiscent of the Crowes, Crowder's and Bennetts of Harlan County. The overall feel, to me, is most like Bloodline in that the tension and suspense grows each episode as the family gets sucked deeper and more hopelessly into criminality and violence. It's not a feel good show at all. Somehow it manages to pull you in while making you feel terrible.

left_hook_lacey
08-07-2017, 01:39 PM
I am on episode 7 already. I'm hooked. Thanks a lot Mt.Devil!! :cool:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-07-2017, 02:12 PM
I am on episode 7 already. I'm hooked. Thanks a lot Mt.Devil!! :cool:

It continues to get more and more intense, in my opinion. I think it is very well done. Bateman does a great job at being the only sane person in a room, a la Arrested Development. The consequences are obviously a but different here though.

left_hook_lacey
08-07-2017, 03:31 PM
It continues to get more and more intense, in my opinion. I think it is very well done. Bateman does a great job at being the only sane person in a room, a la Arrested Development. The consequences are obviously a but different here though.

Yes. I have been very critical of most TV shows these days in other threads. But there have been more than one moment in this show that has made me literally gasp and say OMG with mouth agape.

The best news is, my better half is completely bought in too. She can never binge watch anything, even if she loves it. We watched 4 episodes of this show Sunday, her idea. :cool:

I really hope this show takes off with viewers enough to garner a 5-8 season run as the greats do. Gonna need something to fill the GOT void, much like GOT filled my Breaking Bad void.

ncexnyc
08-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Finished up Season 1, this weekend and was very pleased with the show. The scene with the preacher really freaked me out. At first I thought he was going to do what he eventually did, but for a second he had me going and I thought it was an OMG no moment.

I'm curious to see how our motel owner fleeing turns out. I really thought she was going to get it on with Bateman's character, but that never happened.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Finished up Season 1, this weekend and was very pleased with the show. The scene with the preacher really freaked me out. At first I thought he was going to do what he eventually did, but for a second he had me going and I thought it was an OMG no moment.

I'm curious to see how our motel owner fleeing turns out. I really thought she was going to get it on with Bateman's character, but that never happened.

Do we know that they never did? There was a scene that seemed a bit open ended if I remember correctly.

I suspect she will never be seen again.

ncexnyc
08-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Do we know that they never did? There was a scene that seemed a bit open ended if I remember correctly.

I suspect she will never be seen again.

If the show is over then I can live with her getting away, but if it returns I can't see her sliding out like that, after all she cleaned out a whole bottom section of a wall. What's that about 1/2 a million? Of course they could clean that up by saying she left the resort to Bateman's character, which I could live with.

WV_Iron_Duke
08-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Lotusland you nailed it! Thanks to your comparisons and those on the AVSFORUM have watched 6 episodes the past two nights. Easily one of my favorite Netflix dramas. And like Bloodline, look for any humor somewhere else.

left_hook_lacey
08-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Lotusland you nailed it! Thanks to your comparisons and those on the AVSFORUM have watched 6 episodes the past two nights. Easily one of my favorite Netflix dramas. And like Bloodline, look for any humor somewhere else.

And oddly enough, Bateman is able to work in a line of dry humor at the absurdness of what they are going through and it's believable without undermining the seriousness of it all. I have the same approach to situations that are hard to deal with, so it really hits home for me. Except, you know, for the whole money laundering and working for the cartel thing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-09-2017, 02:01 PM
And oddly enough, Bateman is able to work in a line of dry humor at the absurdness of what they are going through and it's believable without undermining the seriousness of it all. I have the same approach to situations that are hard to deal with, so it really hits home for me. Except, you know, for the whole money laundering and working for the cartel thing.

I agree. A handful of dry humor moments.

In one scene I couldn't help but think "there's always money in the banana stand."

luburch
08-14-2017, 06:48 AM
Finished it yesterday afternoon.

I could never get into BB, but I really enjoyed Ozark. Bateman was fantastic. Even in some really tense moments, I would catch myself cracking up at some of his lines.

left_hook_lacey
08-14-2017, 08:25 AM
I agree. A handful of dry humor moments.

In one scene I couldn't help but think "there's always money in the banana stand."

This made me spit coffee.

Finally finished the first season. I'm officially a fan. Not sure where they will go from here but I'm prepared to take the ride. I just wish I had discovered this show later on in the year so I wouldn't have to wait so long for season two. Streaming and binge watching have made me a compeletly and irrationally, impatient person when it comes to television watching.