PDA

View Full Version : Fluff from recruiting thread

sagegrouse
08-01-2017, 03:57 PM
How could a guy whose first name is Cameron not pick Duke?

If it's Cameron Bluish, he's a lock. "Reddish?" Not so much.

CrazyNotCrazie
08-01-2017, 04:07 PM
How could a guy whose first name is Cameron not pick Duke?

It was all part of our master plan. We named Giles for Harry Giles, the Allen Building for Grayson, and Trent Hall (I think I'm dating myself with that one) for Gary Trent. Cameron is for Cameron Reddish. We can easily change Bassett to Barrett. And I'm sure somewhere in America there is a future star basketball player whose last name is "Social Sciences"

kAzE
08-01-2017, 04:10 PM
It was all part of our master plan. We named Giles for Harry Giles, the Allen Building for Grayson, and Trent Hall (I think I'm dating myself with that one) for Gary Trent. Cameron is for Cameron Reddish. We can easily change Bassett to Barrett. And I'm sure somewhere in America there is a future star basketball player whose last name is "Social Sciences"

Bruegger's Bagleys on 9th street :p

jimsumner
08-01-2017, 08:09 PM

Didn't work with Dwayne Wade.

Indoor66
08-01-2017, 08:20 PM

We used to have a Trustee named Charles Wade. Does that count?

devildeac
08-01-2017, 10:28 PM

Didn't work too well for Mike Chapel either. Or was that Duke Chappell? ;)

rasputin
08-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Didn't work too well for Mike Chapel either. Or was that Duke Chappell? ;)

For you movie buffs, it might have been Ambrose Chapel.

NSDukeFan
08-02-2017, 11:26 AM
So looking at the reclassifying merry go round, that would boost Barrett up to #2 (not that it matters) with Bagley going to the 2017 class (probably).
It used to be you couldn't keep track of the OADs because they come and go so quickly.
Now it's tough to even figure out what class they're in.

That has also been difficult at Carolina where students didn't have to attend class.

Not sure if didn't is necessarily correct since the athletic institution doesn't seem to be concerned about what happened and doesn't figure it did anything wrong.

rsvman
08-02-2017, 01:01 PM

Maybe that's because his name is actually Dwyane Wade.

mgtr
08-02-2017, 01:46 PM
For you movie buffs, it might have been Ambrose Chapel.

Wasn't it because there was a man who knew too much, unlike another movie where the man knew too little.

BD80
08-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Wasn't it because there was a man who knew too much, unlike another movie where the man knew too little.

Which was wearing one red shoe?

Indoor66
08-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Which was wearing one red shoe?

It was a she and she wasn't in Kansas.

madscavenger
08-02-2017, 05:02 PM

The man who knew too little was Pierre Richard........................and the shoe was black.

Indoor66
08-02-2017, 06:13 PM
The man who knew too little was Pierre Richard............and the shoe was black.

But he was the man who wasn't there....

BD80
08-02-2017, 08:31 PM
But he was the man who wasn't there...

No, that was the man who would be king ...

Olympic Fan
08-02-2017, 10:00 PM
The man who knew too little was Pierre Richard............and the shoe was black.

How did we get from The Man Who Knew Too Much (Ambrose Chapel) to the Tall Blond Man with One Back Shoe (Pierre Richard ... Tom Hanks played in the American remake as The Man With One Red Shoe)?

The original The Man Who Knew Too Much was a detective named Horne Fisher, a character in a 1922 collection of short stories by C.K. Chesterton.

Hitchcock appropriated the title, but not the story or the character for his 1934 film -- which starred Leslie Banks as The Man Who Knew Too Much. When he re-made the move in 1954, Jimmy Stewart played the title role.

As for The Man Who Knew Too Little, that would be Bill Murray, who played a character named Wallace Ritchie in the 1997 film, The Man Who Knew Too Little.

BTW: That film is one of my guilty pleasures, even though Roger Ebert gave it just one star.

camion
08-02-2017, 11:26 PM
How did we get from The Man Who Knew Too Much (Ambrose Chapel) to the Tall Blond Man with One Back Shoe (Pierre Richard ... Tom Hanks played in the American remake as The Man With One Red Shoe)?

The original The Man Who Knew Too Much was a detective named Horne Fisher, a character in a 1922 collection of short stories by C.K. Chesterton.

Hitchcock appropriated the title, but not the story or the character for his 1934 film -- which starred Leslie Banks as The Man Who Knew Too Much. When he re-made the move in 1954, Jimmy Stewart played the title role.

As for The Man Who Knew Too Little, that would be Bill Murray, who played a character named Wallace Ritchie in the 1997 film, The Man Who Knew Too Little.

BTW: That film is one of my guilty pleasures, even though Roger Ebert gave it just one star.

That is such a silly/idiotic movie. I've watched it more than twice.

JasonEvans
08-03-2017, 12:00 PM
I'm sure somewhere in America there is a future star basketball player whose last name is "Social Sciences"

Close one here. (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/scientific-mapp-1.html)

El_Diablo
08-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Close one here. (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/scientific-mapp-1.html)

Wow; I had not heard that one before. Is he perhaps related to the former UVA player Majestic Mapp?

JasonEvans
08-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Wow; I had not heard that one before. Is he perhaps related to the former UVA player Majestic Mapp?

Yup, Scientific Mapp is Majestic Mapp's brother.

kAzE
08-03-2017, 12:25 PM
What's the All-Time starting 5 of players who have Duke-building names?

devildeac
08-03-2017, 12:40 PM

I'll start with The Landlord as he'd own them all anyway. ;)

trinity92
08-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Can't come up with a "proper" starting 5, but we play positionless, right?

Grayson "The Administration" Allen
Gary "The 1980's North Campus Freshman" Trent, Jr.
Harry "The Old School Dorm" Giles
Shavlik "The New School Dorm" Randolph
Jack "The Lecture" White

Not my best work, but a start!

CrazyNotCrazie
08-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Can't come up with a "proper" starting 5, but we play positionless, right?

Grayson "The Administration" Allen
Gary "The 1980's North Campus Freshman" Trent, Jr.
Harry "The Old School Dorm" Giles
Shavlik "The New School Dorm" Randolph
Jack "The Lecture" White

Not my best work, but a start!

Great start! I will add:
Carmen "The Stadium" Wallace (Wade)
Jay "the Center' Bryan

and flipping to the women's side
Lexie "the old school dorm" Brown

El_Diablo
08-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Great start! I will add:
Carmen "The Stadium" Wallace (Wade)
Jay "the Center' Bryan

and flipping to the women's side
Lexie "the old school dorm" Brown

Lance "the Center" Thomas
DeMarcus "the Music Room" Nelson

Coach: Mike "Emily Center" Krzyzewski (aka Coach "House on Kilgo Quad" K)

mr. synellinden
08-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Maybe it's time to create a separate thread (or two) from the 2018 recruiting thread? :rolleyes:

Pghdukie
08-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Maybe it's time to create a separate thread (or two) from the 2018 recruiting thread? :rolleyes:

Sir, it is August. Times are slow this time of year !

Neals384
08-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Yup, Scientific Mapp is Majestic Mapp's brother.

I heard that UNC didn't even recruit Scientific.

Indoor66
08-03-2017, 05:19 PM

They don't even recruit Academic much less Scientific!

BD80
08-03-2017, 08:47 PM

They wanted to recruit Scientific, but nobody at unc knows how to use a mapp ...

bigperm13
08-03-2017, 11:31 PM
Sir, it is August. Times are slow this time of year !

What does the time of year have to do with his suggestion which was a good one?

NSDukeFan
08-04-2017, 04:54 AM
What does the time of year have to do with his suggestion which was a good one?

I would assume (obviously a risk there) that this time of year there isn't that much going on, so threads more often get derailed and take tangents.

camion
08-04-2017, 07:50 AM
I would assume (obviously a risk there) that this time of year there isn't that much going on, so threads more often get derailed and take tangents.

And sometimes perpendiculars.

Oh look, a squirrel!!

Indoor66
08-04-2017, 08:26 AM
And sometimes perpendiculars.

Oh look, a squirrel!!

And I see Boris and Natasha over to the east.

mgtr
08-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Oh-oh! Somebody has been playing with the Wayback machine!

duke74
08-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Oh-oh! Somebody has been playing with the Wayback machine!

Sherman says hi.

duketaylor
08-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Sherman says hi.

As does Mr. Peabody!

Anybody seen Dick Dastardly lately?

Pghdukie
08-04-2017, 11:58 AM
As does Mr. Peabody!

Anybody seen Dick Dastardly lately?

He's hiding in Jellystone Park with Yogi and Boo Boo

Indoor66
08-04-2017, 12:47 PM
He's hiding in Jellystone Park with Yogi and Boo Boo

Their neighbor to the west is Snidely Whiplash and Dudley Doright lives a little way north.

rasputin
08-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Their neighbor to the west is Snidely Whiplash and Dudley Doright lives a little way north.

That's a fractured fairy tale.

BD80
08-04-2017, 01:42 PM
That's a fractured fairy tale.

The fractured tail was Mutley's, but he was Dick Dastardly's sidekick, not Snidely's (although Dick and Snidely were easily confused).

UrinalCake
08-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Brian/Bryan "The Center" Zoubek

Pghdukie
08-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Brian/Bryan "The Center" Zoubek

The center of the universal will be the solar eclipse. Alcohol sales are going thru the roof !

devildeac
08-04-2017, 07:40 PM
The center of the universal will be the solar eclipse. Alcohol sales are going thru the roof !

Just as long as no ceiling was involved.

devildeac
08-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Speaking of buildings, my second pick after "The Landlord" would be Patrick "The Healer" Davi(d)son. That is all. I only need him and The Landlord, unless of course I'm able to bring Mike Chappell off the bench to tower over everyone.

rsvman
08-04-2017, 08:27 PM
They wanted to recruit Scientific, but nobody at unc knows how to use a mapp ...

I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because..uh..some people out there in our nation don't have mapps....such as....the Iraq.....everywhere like such as.

:-)

Indoor66
08-05-2017, 07:49 AM
I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because..uh..some people out there in our nation don't have mapps...such as...the Iraq....everywhere like such as.

A rather Majestic thought.

mgtr
08-05-2017, 09:04 AM
I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because..uh..some people out there in our nation don't have mapps...such as...the Iraq....everywhere like such as.

I believe that this is a close paraphrase of an answer given by a former Miss America contestant. She didn't win.

NSDukeFan
08-05-2017, 11:29 AM
I believe that this is a close paraphrase of an answer given by a former Miss America contestant. She didn't win.

I thought she won the internet.

Shouldn't this thread be 60 pages long or so, and the recruiting thread a page or two?

BD80
08-05-2017, 12:25 PM
... Shouldn't this thread be 60 pages long or so, and the recruiting thread a page or two?

One man's fluff is another man's fodder ...

Personally, I think any post opining about minutes a recruit will play belongs in this thread, reducing the recruiting thread even more drastically.

Now GOOD, witty puns belong in their own thread ... which might be the shortest thread in DBR history ...

NSDukeFan
08-05-2017, 01:10 PM
One man's fluff is another man's fodder ...

Personally, I think any post opining about minutes a recruit will play belongs in this thread, reducing the recruiting thread even more drastically.

Now GOOD, witty puns belong in their own thread ... which might be the shortest thread in DBR history ...

As you say, one man's fluff is another man's fodder. I enjoy minutes discussions, about guys on the team, and think the witty pun thread could be the longest in DBR history. 😁

Indoor66
08-05-2017, 01:28 PM
As you say, one man's fluff is another man's fodder. I enjoy minutes discussions, about guys on the team, and think the witty pun thread could be the longest in DBR history. 😁

It's not over 'till we say it's over.😡😈

camion
08-06-2017, 09:34 AM

I think a non-witty pun thread would be longer. I'm a frequent contributor to those and only occasionally rise into the witty category. :o

Indoor66
08-06-2017, 09:36 AM
I think a non-witty pun thread would be longer. I'm a frequent contributor to those and only occasionally rise into the witty category. :o

Someone once called me a wit and I told them they were half correct. ;)

NSDukeFan
08-06-2017, 11:43 AM

I'm easily entertained.

devildeac
08-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Someone once called me a wit and I told them they were half correct. ;)

All in favor...

:p

Better than being a nit...

:rolleyes:

Pghdukie
08-06-2017, 02:30 PM
All in favor...

:p

Better than being a nit...

:rolleyes:

And Nit's twin brother Nim !

Indoor66
08-06-2017, 02:56 PM
And Nit's twin brother Nim !

Sometimes I resemble all of the wit family. 😋😎

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Sometimes I resemble all of the wit family. 😋😎

Close cousin "dim" checking in.

duketaylor
08-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Close cousin "dim" checking in.

And in-bred 2nd cousin (T)wit.

superdave
08-07-2017, 05:57 PM
I hope we get a timely offer out to Quickley. You people.......

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/216435/immanuel-quickley

Pghdukie
08-07-2017, 06:04 PM
I hope we get a timely offer out to Quickley. You people....

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/216435/immanuel-quickley

But not to Lumpy Rutherford! One of my all time favorites ! Gee Wally !