PDA

View Full Version : ACC late off-season news

Olympic Fan
07-28-2017, 01:39 PM
There have been a couple of significant ACC personnel developments in the last couple of days.

First, Virginia Tech suffered a big blow when swingman Tyrone Outlaw suffered a torn ACL in a pickup game. He will miss the coming season. For those that think Duke has a lot of injuries, this will be the third year in a row that the Hokies have lost a major player for the season (Ahmed Hill in 2016; Kerry Blackshear in 2017; now Outlaw ... that doesn't count Chris Clarke, their best all-around player, who has missed half of the 2016 and 2017 seasons).

Outlaw started slow last year, but over the last half of the 2017 ACC season, he was the best 3-point shooter in the league, hitting 51.5 percent of his 3s in ACC play.

A huge loss for the Hokies.

Meanwhile, N.C. State just added a late 2017 recruit as Braxton Beverly, who had previously signed with Ohio State, switched to the Pack (the Buckeyes let him out of his LOI after the coaching change). Beverly is a 5-11 point guard who put up great numbers at Hargrave Military Academy, including scoring a school-record 70 points in a single game. He'll be eligible to play this season.

Still waiting on Marvin Bagley to decide what he's going to do.

BD80
07-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Thank you for the update, it is truly appreciated. This is the type of news that I hope for when I open threads, albeit sadly resigned to have to wade through endless, insipid posts about how many minutes high school kids will play at college in the upcoming year compared to college guys who never left the bench.

Olympic Fan
07-30-2017, 01:35 PM
The news that Mitoglou is leaving Wake is a big blow for the Deacons.

The big Greek started out as a 7-footer who floated around the perimeter, shooting 3s. But he was maturing into a solid post player, able to use his size effectively. Lst year's he average 6.1 rebounds and only about a third of his field goal attempts were from 3. With the loss of Collins, he was set to be their primary inside threrat.

Wake has a lot of good perimeter players -- Crawford, Childress, Wilbekin and Woods. But there is no inside game to help them -- Moore? Japhet-Mathias?

With Collins and Mitoglou on the roster, I could see tham as a dark horse contender in the ACC -- at least first third of the league. Without Collins, they drop back into the middle of the pack. Without Mitoglou, I think they drop to the bottom of the middle (with Clemson and Syracuse).

Spanarkel
07-30-2017, 04:43 PM
The news that Mitoglou is leaving Wake is a big blow for the Deacons.

The big Greek started out as a 7-footer who floated around the perimeter, shooting 3s. But he was maturing into a solid post player, able to use his size effectively. Lst year's he average 6.1 rebounds and only about a third of his field goal attempts were from 3. With the loss of Collins, he was set to be their primary inside threrat.

Wake has a lot of good perimeter players -- Crawford, Childress, Wilbekin and Woods. But there is no inside game to help them -- Moore? Japhet-Mathias?

With Collins and Mitoglou on the roster, I could see tham as a dark horse contender in the ACC -- at least first third of the league. Without Collins, they drop back into the middle of the pack. Without Mitoglou, I think they drop to the bottom of the middle (with Clemson and Syracuse).

Yes, Dinos could have been a real glue guy for the Deacs this season.

TruBlu
07-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Childress is one one of my most hated ACC players, slightly less hated than about 13 players that wear a very ugly shade of light blue.

DU82
07-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Childress is one one of my most hated ACC players, slightly less hated than about 13 players that wear a very ugly shade of light blue.

Which Childress?

brevity
07-30-2017, 06:46 PM

Which Childress?

Can't be Randolph. The enemy of my enemy is my friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo

PackMan97
07-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Looks Keatts is going to run a guard heavy offense this year.

Hingeknocker
08-01-2017, 12:20 PM
NC State is having to do some compliance effort on behalf of Braxton Beverly in order for him to be eligible to play this year: https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/8/1/16075560/braxton-beverly-nc-state-transfer-ncaa-eligibility.

The short version is that because he was enrolled at Ohio State prior to Thad Matta's departure, he will be treated as a transfer and therefore subject to the rules about sitting out a year. This is despite the fact that Ohio State gave him a full release from his Letter of Intent, and had no intention of keeping him on the team anyway since their new coach brought in his own players.

Good luck to the Wolfpack, as this kid deserves to play right away.

This has been your off-season reminder that the NCAA's rules are solely about serving the interests of the ruling class, and nothing else.

Olympic Fan
08-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Not directly ACC news, but it might end up that way:

Mitchell Robinson, a 6-11 5-star recruit (No. 7 nationally in the rsci), who stunned everybody by picking Western Kentucky, just pulled out of summer school there and is looking for a new place to play.

Several ACC schools could be in play, although LSU is the current favorite.

Robinson may run into the same problem that's plaguing NC State's Beverly -- although released from his LOI, he actually attended summer school classes at WKU. That means he is considered a transfer and will have to sit out a year at his new school, unless he gets an NCAA waiver.

PS: I didn't realize that his godfather is ex-Tar Heel Shammond Williams. The Cheats -- for all their issues -- have had some quality young men play for them over the years (think Marcus Paige) ... but Shammond was not one of them. Oh well, at least his selfishness played a large role in UNC's failure to win the 1998 national title. Heck, now that I think about it, could Shammond -- whose firing as assistant at WKU helped precipitate Robinson's departure -- steer his godson to a school that really needs a 6-11 stud? Like UNC Cheat?

English
08-02-2017, 12:08 PM

Mitchell Robinson, a 6-11 5-star recruit (No. 7 nationally in the rsci), who stunned everybody by picking Western Kentucky, just pulled out of summer school there and is looking for a new place to play.

Robinson may run into the same problem that's plaguing NC State's Beverly -- although released from his LOI, he actually attended summer school classes at WKU. That means he is considered a transfer and will have to sit out a year at his new school, unless he gets an NCAA waiver.

PS: I didn't realize that his godfather is ex-Tar Heel Shammond Williams. The Cheats -- for all their issues -- have had some quality young men play for them over the years (think Marcus Paige) ... but Shammond was not one of them. Oh well, at least his selfishness played a large role in UNC's failure to win the 1998 national title. Heck, now that I think about it, could Shammond -- whose firing as assistant at WKU helped precipitate Robinson's departure -- steer his godson to a school that really needs a 6-11 stud? Like UNC Cheat?

As you say, the heavy CBB favorite to land Robinson is LSU...BUT, the heavier favorite to land him is the NBA when he's ruled a regular transfer who has to sit a year.

Olympic Fan
08-06-2017, 02:15 PM
I just read an interesting article about foreign players who will make their debut in college basketball this coming season. We've all seen foreigners have a big impact.

Now, this isn't new news, but Wake Forest has a French kid named Oliver Starr coming in. He's listed as one of the most advanced of the foreign imports. He's a 6-11 center -- exactly what the guard-heavy Deacs need after losing John Collins in the draft and Dinos Mitoglou to a pro team in Greece.

Sarr doesn't sound like much of an offensive player -- he averaged just 4.4 ppg in the U17 World Championships. But he's described as a long, athletic leaper, who is active on the boards and is a phenomenal shot blocker.

That's all hearsay, but if Sarr can come in and give the Deacs a rebounder/shotblocker in the middle -- even if he's nota scorer -- that could alter our perception of how good Wake can be this season.

PackMan97
08-07-2017, 12:07 AM
The short version is that because he was enrolled at Ohio State prior to Thad Matta's departure, he will be treated as a transfer and therefore subject to the rules about sitting out a year. This is despite the fact that Ohio State gave him a full release from his Letter of Intent, and had no intention of keeping him on the team anyway since their new coach brought in his own players.

Good luck to the Wolfpack, as this kid deserves to play right away.

This has been your off-season reminder that the NCAA's rules are solely about serving the interests of the ruling class, and nothing else.

Sometimes you have to love the headlines:

UNC Tarheels win 2017 National Title despite 23 years of fake classes to keep players eligible
NC State freshman forced to miss a year of basketball because he went to class.

royalblue
08-07-2017, 04:43 AM

Any talk of Shammond brings up that he was 0-3 in final 4 games and I believe went a blistering
3-25 from the field in those games.

Neals384
08-08-2017, 11:55 AM
DBR front page has a link to a pic of the new Hokie court. It appears that the VT logo on the court obscures huge sections of the division line (over & back) line. This is a violation of rules.

atoomer0881
08-08-2017, 12:33 PM
DBR front page has a link to a pic of the new Hokie court. It appears that the VT logo on the court obscures huge sections of the division line (over & back) line. This is a violation of rules.

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the division lines along with the center circle lines haven't been completed yet. It seems they've just been outlined with grey tape. I'm guessing when it's completed, it won't be violating any rules.

Link (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGU8ZDFV0AE0ohM.jpg:large) to high res photo

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-08-2017, 01:15 PM
I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the division lines along with the center circle lines haven't been completed yet. It seems they've just been outlined with grey tape. I'm guessing when it's completed, it won't be violating any rules.

Link (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGU8ZDFV0AE0ohM.jpg:large) to high res photo

Kinda cool looking. I respect it.

*ducks*

atoomer0881
08-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Kinda cool looking. I respect it.

*ducks*

I agree. I like the look.

English
08-08-2017, 01:36 PM
I agree. I like the look.

I could be wildly off-base here, but something tells me that battle lines for this new-look Hokie court will trend similarly to those for the Duke away black unis.

JetpackJesus
08-08-2017, 03:56 PM

It's basically the Cleveland Cavalier's home court, which I like.
http://svcdn.simpleviewinc.com/v3/cache/www_thisiscleveland_com/28881ABD5ADC7B340357DC3C10655372.jpg

Tom B.
08-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Any talk of Shammond brings up that he was 0-3 in final 4 games and I believe went a blistering 3-25 from the field in those games.

Correct on both counts.

He played only two minutes and didn't take a shot in UNC's 1995 national semifinal game against Arkansas.

He was 1-for-13 (1-for-8 on three-pointers) in their 1997 national semifinal game against Arizona.

In UNC's 1998 national semifinal game against Utah, he improved his overall shooting to 2-for-12, but his three-point shooting was actually worse (1-for-9).

Fortunately for Shammond, his awfulness in that 1998 semifinal game was overshadowed by Makhtar Ndiaye's performance, in which he: (a) scored zero points, (b) fouled out in 14 minutes, (c) spat on an opposing player, and (d) falsely accused the opposing player of using a racial slur, an accusation that he was forced to recant the next day.

Man I miss that guy. He was a walking, breathing trump card for any argument with a Heel fan. I guess if the NCAA does the right thing, "vacated title" could become the new trump card.

BD80
08-28-2017, 08:08 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/syracuse-loses-frontcourt-piece-taurean-thompson-who-has-left-the-program/

Not unexpected, he's been a no-show all summer, but still knocks the Cuse down another notch.

Olympic Fan
08-29-2017, 03:12 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/syracuse-loses-frontcourt-piece-taurean-thompson-who-has-left-the-program/

Not unexpected, he's been a no-show all summer, but still knocks the Cuse down another notch.

Wow ... huge news.

Thompson was probably going to be Syracuse's second-best player this season. He was their only returning starter.

I do think sophomore guard Tyus Battle is pretty good (he was their top returning scorer).

They also return Frank Howard (16 mpg last season) and Paschal Chukwu (who only appeared in seven games). They have three four-star recruits -- no five stars.

That's it -- it's almost as decimated a roster as Pitt.

I have a lot of respect for Boeheim as a coach, but it's hard to see how he gets this team in the NCAA Tournament ... and if he doesn't, that will be three misses in the last four years.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2017, 06:35 AM
I have a lot of respect for Boeheim as a coach, but it's hard to see how he gets this team in the NCAA Tournament ... and if he doesn't, that will be three misses in the last four years.

"We'll always have Greensboro"

JasonEvans
08-30-2017, 11:53 AM
"We have been informed that Taurean is taking a leave of absence from Syracuse University," Boeheim said in a statement to the Post-Standard. "My understanding is he wants to go to school closer to home due to some family health issues."

Sounds like Thompson is going to attempt to get a transfer waiver so he can be immediately eligible the same way Elliot Williams did. Thompson played his HS ball in New Hamshire but his family is from New Jersey -- talk is that Seton Hall is his preferred school.

-Jason "Kevin Willard (Ralph Willard's son, former longtime Pitino assistant) is head coach at Seton Hall... he's doing a nice job there" Evans