PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Which of these players will play the most minutes next season?

richardjackson199
07-23-2017, 05:48 PM
I voted for Tucker, but I'm rooting for all of them. Just curious what people think this early.

I left out Duval, Grayson, Trent, Carter, and Bolden. They all hopefully have NBA level talent and I expect all to play significant minutes next year and maybe start. I know that is probably too much to assume. This is just for fun.

I'm also leaving off Bagley. I really hope we get him, but if we do I expect him to clearly earn significant minutes.

devilsince1977
07-23-2017, 05:59 PM
I went with Javin. I think he can give us more defensively. Seeing him in some of the summer videos, he looks more physically mature than last season. We need someone to do the dirty work; Amile and Matt are gone.

richardjackson199
07-23-2017, 06:08 PM
I went with Javin. I think he can give us more defensively. Seeing him in some of the summer videos, he looks much more physically mature than last season. We need someone to do the dirty work; Amile and Matt are gone.

You definitely might be right. With his athleticism and college experience advantages, Javin could really carve out a nice role in the rotation as a defender and rebounder even if he doesn't score many points. I can see him scoring at a high percentage finishing some alley oops. If he also becomes an offensive threat and the game slows down for him, watch out.

I just haven't seen it yet from Javin, and I have a good feeling about Tucker. But my gut is often wrong, and I'm excited to see who will step up this year for us.

CDu
07-23-2017, 06:44 PM
This is hard to do until we know if Bagley will play for Duke this year or not. If he does, you can scratch DeLaurier and Vrankovic off the list and I would guess between Tucker and O'Connell. If he doesn't, I would probably guess DeLaurier.

richardjackson199
07-23-2017, 07:39 PM
This is hard to do until we know if Bagley will play for Duke this year or not. If he does, you can scratch DeLaurier and Vrankovic off the list and I would guess between Tucker and O'Connell. If he doesn't, I would probably guess DeLaurier.

You're certainly right that the Bagley uncertainty complicates this. I thought about that, but decided to do it for fun anyway. It sounds like there is even some chance that Bagley could join Duke (or somebody else) and start playing in January or not at all. It depends on his academic qualification, graduating from high school in time, the NCAA, etc.

What happens with Bagley is a big unknown, but there are lots of unknowns. Somebody could get injured opening minutes at a position of need. I hope not, but who knows.

So for now I just assume we're in pretty good shape with Bagley, and I'm hopeful that he will play significant minutes for us this year. I have no clue, but I'm assuming it's a little greater than 50% likely right now that Bagley plays significant minutes for Duke this year. We seem to be recruiting him hard for this season, we lead in the CB at 85% (about all I have to go on until they announce), and I'm sure our coaches have a much better approximation of his odds of playing for Duke this year with his academic situation.

Or if we waited we might hear that 1 of these players is just killing it in summer scrimmages, and that would be important to consider.

But waiting for more data isn't as fun. It's the offseason. Just make an early vote for who you think will get the most minutes with all the unknowns if you want to play. Then when the roster is finalized (again) let the real minutes debate threads commence. :cool:

Then if Bagley's decision changes your pick, feel free to reply to this thread with your new pick, and that is understandable.

You're probably right, but from reading these threads, I'm betting some reasonable opinions out there would not scratch Vrank or Javin off the list regardless of what happens with Bagley. I think 1 of these players might just be much better than expected this year and command some minutes in the rotation. I hope so.

I'm voting for Tucker regardless of what happens with Bagley, but I never claimed to have reasonable opinions. ;)

elvis14
07-24-2017, 04:21 PM
I voted for Tucker because that's what I think will happen. Of course I'm rooting for all of them to do well. That being said, I'm really hoping that Javin and Vrank make an impact. Duval to Javin for some monster dunks will be fun to watch and Vrank is such a great kid who seems to close to making an impact.

mgtr
07-24-2017, 04:37 PM
I voted for Jordan Tucker, probably because of recent stories about him. However, my second choice is Jack White, because I think he will turn out pretty well in the end. I did not, however, have the courage to vote for him.

BoiseDevil
07-24-2017, 05:18 PM
White - and if it's because he earns >10 mins per game, I'll feel really good about this team's NC chances

If Bagley suits up for Duke and this team builds positive chemistry, it will look like the early 90's again (only because NCAA hoops is 1/2 as "polished" as it used to be)

drummerdevil
07-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Javin- but if I could vote twice, Vrank wouldn't surprise me, either.

DevilFalcon
07-24-2017, 11:15 PM
My head says Javin, but I was impressed with the little I saw of Jack last year. My vote goes there. I really don't think Tucker is going to play that much. It's just not common for a non elite freshman to clock many minutes at Duke.
It could also be Vrank if Bolden doesn't come through, or gets in***ed.

camion
07-25-2017, 07:53 AM
I'm still considering my vote.

I value my part in our advise-and-consent role in Duke basketball and knowing how coach reads this board and takes our advice I want to be sure to get it right. :)

DevilHorse
07-25-2017, 12:59 PM
I voted for Vrank the Tank. I felt that he was limited last year only by his propensity to foul. It wasn't obvious before last year since he did not get much time in games at all. He seems (to me) to be on a quicker learning curve than Brian Zoubek, which suggests that the coaches will be focussed on helping him to cut down on his foul rate. Once this occurs, the refs won't be giving him the obligatory auto-whistle when others bounce off of him, thus extending his minutes. I thought his offense, reach, hands, and around the basket IQ made him fairly effective and worthy of increased effort to cut down on the one thing that was compromising his game; FOULS.

Larry
DevilHorse

richardjackson199
08-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Bagley is at Duke, and no inside info, but he is probably going to play.

Feel free to vote in the poll if you haven't already and were waiting for this data point. Bump.

Who ya got CDu?

kAzE
08-15-2017, 08:11 PM
I voted for Javin, but now that Bagley is in the mix, I think it's most likely Jordan Tucker. It's a shame, because Javin is probably the 2nd most talented kid coming off the bench (after Marques), but there's just too many guys ahead of him in the front court. At least that's how I think it will play out. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Javin somehow outperforming Marques, but it seems unlikely.

Troublemaker
08-15-2017, 08:29 PM

Feel free to vote in the poll if you haven't already and were waiting for this data point. Bump.

Who ya got CDu?

You're allowed to start a new poll and thread, Richard... the early voters were missing some crucial info.

CDu
08-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Who ya got CDu?

I said before the news that Bagley was my driving factor. Now that he is enrolling at Duke, assuming he is eligible I would guess Tucker will get the most minutes. If Bagley doesn't become eligible, DeLaurier.

richardjackson199
08-15-2017, 10:28 PM
You're allowed to start a new poll and thread, Richard... the early voters were missing some crucial info.

Troublemaker is right of course. I'm pretty busy at work, but if somebody wants to start a new poll thread, go for it.

Given the new info, you can also change your vote by replying to the thread. Like Kaze just changed his vote from Javin to Tucker.

But more crucial info will continue to come out - like whether Bagley gets cleared to play, if any of these guys look awesome this summer, somebody could get hurt, etc.

I'd just say leave the poll alone - the early voters were at a disadvantage if this means they would have voted differently, but it's just for fun. No devildeac beer involved.

btw Trouble I still owe you 12 beers from last year. I might be in Vegas Dec. 9-18 to pay up if anybody wants to watch a game and help him drink it. Too bad we aren't trouncing UNLV this year.

proelitedota
08-15-2017, 10:32 PM
Where is Wendell Carter? :rolleyes:

devildeac
08-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Troublemaker is right of course. I'm pretty busy at work, but if somebody wants to start a new poll thread, go for it.

Given the new info, you can also change your vote by replying to the thread. Like Kaze just changed his vote from Javin to Tucker.

But more crucial info will continue to come out - like whether Bagley gets cleared to play, if any of these guys look awesome this summer, somebody could get hurt, etc.

I'd just say leave the poll alone - the early voters were at a disadvantage if this means they would have voted differently, but it's just for fun. No devildeac beer involved.

btw Trouble I still owe you 12 beers from last year. I might be in Vegas Dec. 9-18 to pay up if anybody wants to watch a game and help him drink it. Too bad we aren't trouncing UNLV this year.

1. :(

2. I'm still available :).

CDu
08-15-2017, 10:47 PM
Where is Wendell Carter? :rolleyes:

Uhh, most likely starting, and clearly in the rotation in the unlikely event that Bagley and Bolden both beat him out. You didn't catch the theme, or that Trent, Duval, Bolden, and Allen are also not on the list?

[PS - sorry if your post was intended as a joke. Hard to tell]

proelitedota
08-16-2017, 12:01 AM
Uhh, most likely starting, and clearly in the rotation in the unlikely event that Bagley and Bolden both beat him out. You didn't catch the theme, or that Trent, Duval, Bolden, and Allen are also not on the list?

[PS - sorry if your post was intended as a joke. Hard to tell]

I am hoping that Bolden makes a such a huge jump that Carter has to come off the bench for no more than 15 min.

CDu
08-16-2017, 07:39 AM
I am hoping that Bolden makes a such a huge jump that Carter has to come off the bench for no more than 15 min.

Barring injury, Carter is not playing remotely close to as few as 15 mpg. He is better than Bolden. The kid is going to be a stud.