PDA

View Full Version : Get out the cinderblocks...

UrinalCake
07-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Some good photos of our guys posted over on Duke Blue Planet

link (https://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/201718/72017-Campus-Photo-Shoot/)

lotusland
07-21-2017, 09:55 PM
So apparently Jack has massive hands.

moonpie23
07-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Duke = iconic = history.....

legit

kAzE
07-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Gary Trent looks like he's stronger than Grayson, or even Wendell for that matter. Did they just get out of a weight lifting session or something? Gary looks extra-swole.

CDu
07-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Gary Trent looks like he's stronger than Grayson, or even Wendell for that matter. Did they just get out of a weight lifting session or something? Gary looks extra-swole.

My first thought was "folks are going to see these pictures and rev up the 'Gary Trent to play PF' discussions". But then I remembered we only have 3 clear-cut starters on the perimeter as is. :)

But yeah, he looks jacked.

FerryFor50
07-24-2017, 01:53 PM
Ladies and gentlemen.... your 2017 starting center!

kAzE
07-24-2017, 01:54 PM
My first thought was "folks are going to see these pictures and rev up the 'Gary Trent to play PF' discussions". But then I remembered we only have 3 clear-cut starters on the perimeter as is. :)

But yeah, he looks jacked.

He might be a "perimeter player," but I think most of his points are going to be coming in the paint. With a body like that, he needs to develop a post up game. I don't see many college wings who would be able to contain him down low.

CDu
07-24-2017, 01:56 PM
He might be a "perimeter player," but I think most of his points are going to be coming in the paint. With a body like that, he needs to develop a post up game. I don't see many college wings who would be able to contain him down low.

Oh I definitely agree that he's probably going to find a lot of baskets in the paint with his size as a wing.

If we had Frank Jackson, I'd suspect Trent would have wound up playing a fair amount of PF.

budwom
07-24-2017, 03:18 PM
I can't imagine why we won't see a whole lot of him at SF (or wing or whatever you want to call it) with Duval and Allen in the (other) two guard spots.
Bolden, Carter and perhaps Bagley can figure out the big man spots, along with any other Hessians that wander by preseason.

MarkD83
07-24-2017, 03:20 PM
We can use the gothic stones in the background...

https://photos.smugmug.com/201718/72017-Campus-Photo-Shoot/i-5WXrVNk/0/6cfd7634/S/mbb_campus_photos_2017-16-S.jpg

and Wendell Carter is taller than the entrance to the chapel even when he is sitting down...

Indoor66
07-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Ladies and gentlemen... your 2017 starting center!

Probably too slow? 😋😀😎

devildeac
07-24-2017, 03:34 PM

Probably too slow? ������

And too short, but, maybe Cut can make this a good short QB, like, you know, say Thad Lewis or Anthony Boone. :rolleyes:

Pghdukie
07-24-2017, 04:15 PM
And too short, but, maybe Cut can make this a good short QB, like, you know, say Thad Lewis or Anthony Boone. :rolleyes:

Doesn't have the legs to hustle up and down the court. Just may be a deterrent for the run/gun offense

flyingdutchdevil
07-24-2017, 04:20 PM
1. Grayson looks as big as sophomore Grayson. That's a good thing. Given how intensely he plays, he needs all the padding he can get!

2. Carter's new tattoo has the potential to look awesome. I only say this to Redick and Winslow, but "take off your shirt!"

3. Gary Trent may need to put the weights down. Assuming we don't get Bagley, Trent will play a few minutes at the 4.

4. Duval doesn't look strong nor athletic (compared to his teammates). I know he is, which is why these pictures are incredibly misleading.

5. Bolden doesn't look any different weight-wise from last year. Kinda hoped he'd put on some weight to bang around.

6. Alex O'Connell no longer looks like he has the body of Brandon Ingram. He put on some serious weight!

kAzE
07-24-2017, 04:30 PM
3. Gary Trent may need to put the weights down.

Haha . . . that made me chuckle. IMO, there definitely is such a thing as "too jacked."

Pghdukie
07-24-2017, 04:39 PM
Haha . . . that made me chuckle. IMO, there definitely is such a thing as "too jacked."

Justice Winslow comes to mind !

atoomer0881
07-24-2017, 04:56 PM
4. Duval doesn't look strong nor athletic (compared to his teammates). I know he is, which is why these pictures are incredibly misleading.

Have to disagree with you there. A thought a few of those pics showed him looking pretty strong and athletic.

El_Diablo
07-24-2017, 04:56 PM
They even photoshopped a smile onto Bolden in a couple of the pictures.

Billy Dat
07-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Bolden doesn't look any different weight-wise from last year. Kinda hoped he'd put on some weight to bang around.
6. Alex O'Connell no longer looks like he has the body of Brandon Ingram. He put on some serious weight!

On the pod with Seth Greenberg, K talked about Bolden losing weight and that being a good thing, so I am guessing that a slim down was what Coach Will Stephens prescribed. I heard that every 5 pounds adds 30 points to defensive IQ and that a 20-30 pound loss means he will not only be in correct position on every rotation but that he'll also protect the rim...I mean like actually protect the rim.

O'Connell has classic freshman hair, the definition of which is that when a senior, said hair will be looked back upon with regret. See: Hill, Grant. Singler, Kyle. Redick, JJ. Other nominees encouraged.

flyingdutchdevil
07-24-2017, 05:45 PM
On the pod with Seth Greenberg, K talked about Bolden losing weight and that being a good thing, so I am guessing that a slim down was what Coach Will Stephens prescribed. I heard that every 5 pounds adds 30 points to defensive IQ and that a 20-30 pound loss means he will not only be in correct position on every rotation but that he'll also protect the rim...I mean like actually protect the rim.

O'Connell has classic freshman hair, the definition of which is that when a senior, said hair will be looked back upon with regret. See: Hill, Grant. Singler, Kyle. Redick, JJ. Other nominees encouraged.

In Singlers case, every hair style will be looked back upon with regret.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-24-2017, 06:04 PM

Grant Hill's freshman hair was classic. Speaking of the Class of 94, I think O'Connell has a bit of the Marty Clark look going for him.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I am in true off-season form - other than a few of the truly obvious ones (see Allen, Grayson), I'm really not sure who is who without numbers, particularly since it isn't easy to determine height.

Rich
07-24-2017, 07:11 PM
I'm embarrassed to admit that I am in true off-season form - other than a few of the truly obvious ones (see Allen, Grayson), I'm really not sure who is who without numbers, particularly since it isn't easy to determine height.

You're not the only one. I even went to GoDuke to look at roster photos and they're not up yet. Captions would be immensely helpful.

lotusland
07-24-2017, 07:31 PM
You're not the only one. I even went to GoDuke to look at roster photos and they're not up yet. Captions would be immensely helpful.

Yeah me three. I was just guessing at the newbies and guessed wrong at least once. I assumed the stout guy was Tucker not Trent as others pointed out.

DukieTiger
07-24-2017, 07:34 PM

At least one 2002 Duke Basketball Camp attendee has JJ to thank for the inspiration behind their memorable high school yearbook photo the following fall. Yikes!

One tip- they have been posting a few of these photos (complete with captions!) to the Duke Instagram account.

Instagram.com/DukeMBB

BD80
07-24-2017, 09:37 PM

Oooh, looks like he has the Euro-stack down. Could be a real load in the post.

OldPhiKap
07-24-2017, 09:50 PM
I sense lots of three second calls once he establishes the block inside the paint.

Hell, he IS the block.

CDu
07-24-2017, 10:14 PM

I thought Sean Obi transferred... (Too soon?)

MrPoon
07-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Was the funky silhouette at the bottom with the iron man like D, actually Bagley III in the shadows? Was this his double, super secret announcement? Am I the first to decode the Bagley code? I even counted the stones around the arch way and its the right size.