PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hairston update

dukechem
07-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Our local newspaper had an article today about several local graduates and what they're doing these days. Josh Hairston is mentioned several times.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/fls/area-residents-chase-hoop-dreams-overseas/article_1ab48601-51c0-50b7-bf61-d247c41d2f36.html

It seems he's been quite the world traveler and has taken advantage of his opportunities.

One interesting comment from the article: "The 6-foot-8 Hairston acknowledged that he put on too much weight at Duke to fill the role of a bruiser and that hindered the mobility he demonstrated in high school. He said he’s slowly getting back to the agile performer he was before entering Duke."

OldPhiKap
07-20-2017, 10:13 PM
One interesting comment from the article: "The 6-foot-8 Hairston acknowledged that he put on too much weight at Duke to fill the role of a bruiser and that hindered the mobility he demonstrated in high school. He said he’s slowly getting back to the agile performer he was before entering Duke."

Funny, happened to me at Duke too.

Love Josh, hope he is doing well. Kid worked his butt off for us.

subzero02
07-21-2017, 12:57 AM
Our local newspaper had an article today about several local graduates and what they're doing these days. Josh Hairston is mentioned several times.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/fls/area-residents-chase-hoop-dreams-overseas/article_1ab48601-51c0-50b7-bf61-d247c41d2f36.html

It seems he's been quite the world traveler and has taken advantage of his opportunities.

Boozer probably played at too heavy a weight when he was at Duke. When he declared for the draft, he quickly went from 280 to 260 and was able to display more agility and explosivenes off the floor. A perceived lack of athleticism likely led to his fall to the 2nd round. Fortunately for Boozer, things worked out better for him from a financial standpoint as a 2nd round pick because he was able to sign a new contract after his second NBA season.

ipatent
07-21-2017, 06:36 AM

Wasn't the unlimited ice cream bars at the East Campus dining hall. was it?

OldPhiKap
07-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Wasn't the unlimited ice cream bars at the East Campus dining hall. was it?

That, beer on points, and pizza delivery on points.

Basically, it was points that made me gain weight.

ipatent
07-21-2017, 09:09 AM

There was a glitch in the system in the early 80s, you could save your points and buy a whole keg from Duke.

I had friends who lost weight on the point plan. ;)

Billy Dat
07-21-2017, 09:25 AM
That "Duke asked me to put on too much muscle" claim has been made by several players, I first remember it with Chris Burgess.

OldPhiKap
07-21-2017, 09:29 AM
That "Duke asked me to put on too much muscle" claim has been made by several players, I first remember it with Chris Burgess.

We've gone from "Duke can't develop big men" to "Duke overdevelops big men"

flyingdutchdevil
07-21-2017, 09:41 AM

With Hairston, I believe it. He was soooooo slow as an upperclassman and just didn't have the agility to guard quicker players or the size to guard 5s. We was a rare "tweener" in college (tweeners are usually reserved for the NBA draft/NBA. College is flexible enough that you usually aren't stuck between two positions).

wk2109
07-21-2017, 10:08 AM
With Hairston, I believe it. He was soooooo slow as an upperclassman and just didn't have the agility to guard quicker players or the size to guard 5s. We was a rare "tweener" in college (tweeners are usually reserved for the NBA draft/NBA. College is flexible enough that you usually aren't stuck between two positions).

It's funny now to remember that senior Josh replaced sophomore Amile in the starting lineup early in the 13-14 season as a defensive upgrade. Imagine how that team could have done with a senior or 5th-year Amile in the middle, or even a 5th-year Marshall. Some people would probably think of Jabari more fondly.

jimsumner
07-21-2017, 11:48 AM
I saw Hairston in the Duke locker room after a game last season and the transformation was stunning. He looked 30 pounds lighter than when he played at Duke.

Nick Horvath may have had the most dramatic weight-gain of this type. He came to Duke as a mobile, 205-pound combo forward and left as a 265-pound post player, with limited mobility.

Jay Bilas bulked up to 245 as a junior, which led to knee surgery. He dropped back to about 225 or so as a senior.

Then again, we can come up with numerous examples of weight gains that benefited the individuals and the team.

Furniture
07-21-2017, 12:32 PM
How much of it is the college 'freshman 15'?

4Gen
07-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Heat makes things expand. I'm not fat. I'm just hot.

OldPhiKap
07-21-2017, 02:15 PM
Heat makes things expand. I'm not fat. I'm just hot.

Genius response. I'm going to steal that one, next time Mrs. OPK asks if a pair of pants makes her butt look fat.

"No honey, it looks hot"

I think I can almost get away with that.

Dukehky
07-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Might be one of the nicest players Duke has ever had.

Doesn't hurt to be Kyrie's best friend either. That can get you places.

Indoor66
07-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Genius response. I'm going to steal that one, next time Mrs. OPK asks if a pair of pants makes her butt look fat.

"No honey, it looks hot"

The operative word being "almost". :cool:

devildeac
07-21-2017, 03:56 PM

"No honey, it looks hot"

What's it worth to you that I NOT mention that to her when I meet her?

:o

devildeac
07-21-2017, 04:13 PM

Million Food Points (Adapted from Barenaked Ladies)-Rhythm & Blue

From their Lights Out and on the Floor CD (about 2001)-not engineered/mixed by moonpie23 :(

I'd post a video but can't locate it anywhere on their site or youtube. :(

lotusland
07-21-2017, 10:09 PM
Wonder if that extra weight hindered his jump shot:). I enjoyed Josh's time and effort and contribution at Duke. I made the assumption when his class came to Duke that Josh might be a poor man's Harrison Barnes based on his listed size at the time. He never really showed much ability to play on the wing though so maybe a solid 6'7 bruiser was the best role for him at Duke.

Reilly
07-22-2017, 05:27 PM
... Basically, it was points that made me gain weight.

Chicken marsala, a bread basket, and three St. Pauli Girls at the Oak Room was fine dining back in the day. Hell, it still is.

CDu
07-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Might be one of the nicest players Duke has ever had.

Doesn't hurt to be Kyrie's best friend either. That can get you places.

I thought Hairston was besties with Dawkins and Thornton (via the DMV connection), not Irving.

awhom111
07-24-2017, 12:47 AM
I thought Hairston was besties with Dawkins and Thornton (via the DMV connection), not Irving.

Josh and Kyrie are close friends. After Josh's seasons end, those with eagle eyes can spot him in the crowd at Kyrie's games.

He is also good friends with Tyler, but Tyler's post-graduate plans tended to make it more difficult for him to be hanging out with the others all the time.

It is good to hear that he wants to continue to play, because it is fun seeing him in situations where he can be the star.

Tom B.
08-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Boozer probably played at too heavy a weight when he was at Duke. When he declared for the draft, he quickly went from 280 to 260 and was able to display more agility and explosivenes off the floor. A perceived lack of athleticism likely led to his fall to the 2nd round. Fortunately for Boozer, things worked out better for him from a financial standpoint as a 2nd round pick because he was able to sign a new contract after his second NBA season.

My recollection is that Boozer added about 20-25 pounds between his sophomore and junior seasons, going from around 260 to 280-85ish, and it hindered his mobility and explosiveness. I can't help but wonder if he'd have been able to get off the floor a little better and finish through Jared Jeffries' hack in the closing seconds of the 2002 regional final if he hadn't been carrying that extra weight, thus rendering the uncalled foul irrelevant. Sigh....

-jk
08-07-2017, 12:45 PM
The NBA allows a lot more freedom of movement than the NCAA. I'd love to have freedom of movement in the NCAA rather players having to bull their way through opponents.

(I still miss flowy hoops!)

-jk