PDA

View Full Version : Jack White

Spanarkel
07-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Please tell me that the several inch linear area involving Jack's left knee is nothing. Please!

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/888051299614326784

CDu
07-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Please tell me that the several inch linear area involving Jack's left knee is nothing. Please!

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/888051299614326784

Yeah, pretty sure it's a shadow and nothing to be concerned about.

TruBlu
07-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Wasn't there some word that he had to have his knee(s) drained frequently last year? Or am I dis-remembering. (Wouldn't be the first time.)

Spanarkel
07-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Wasn't there some word that he had to have his knee(s) drained frequently last year? Or am I dis-remembering. (Wouldn't be the first time.)

You're right about the drainage procedures. This video from @DukeMBB from earlier this month shows Jack(best view is at the end of video)with a wrap over his left knee.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/883363009011253249

OldPhiKap
07-20-2017, 01:41 PM
He is fine. A seven nation army couldn't hold him back.

Skitzle
07-21-2017, 02:28 AM

If an unstopple Jack White hit an immovable Patrick Davidson what would happen?

Indoor66
07-21-2017, 07:16 AM

Chuck Norris?

OldPhiKap
07-21-2017, 07:16 AM

The laws of physics would cease to exist on my stove top.

g4orce
07-21-2017, 10:22 AM
The laws of physics would cease to exist on my stove top.

LOL! Way to work a My Cousin Vinny reference into a post. NICE!

NSDukeFan
07-21-2017, 10:29 AM

I went to a Rolling Stones concert around 2001-2003. We weren't particularly impressed with the guy and girl who were on stage as the opening act so went to have a beer. We laters regretted that decision, but I am glad I will have more chances to see Jack White in the future.

DevilFalcon
07-24-2017, 11:33 PM
It looks like a shadow. He probably had Osgood schlaters (I didn't spell check that) disease as an early teen which gives you a pronounced bump in that area.

Spanarkel
08-02-2017, 07:50 AM
Hate to keep bringing it up, but Jack's left knee wrap keeps resurfacing. Again, hope/pray that it's nothing as he can help us this year.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/892509272172613634

CDu
08-02-2017, 07:57 AM
Hate to keep bringing it up, but Jack's left knee wrap keeps resurfacing. Again, hope/pray that it's nothing as he can help us this year.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/892509272172613634

Definitely seems to be a thing. But I wouldn't expect White to be an on-court factor this year anyway. Valuable to the team as a practice player though.

TKG
08-02-2017, 08:00 AM
Definitely seems to be a thing. But I wouldn't expect White to be an on-court factor this year anyway. Valuable to the team as a practice player though.

CDu has fired the starting gun for the "Jack White - Red Shirt Vigil".

sagegrouse
08-02-2017, 08:17 AM

A bit dismissive this AM, are we, CDu? I could be wrong [gasp!], but I expect Jack White to compete for a spot in the rotation and to play.

CDu
08-02-2017, 08:52 AM
A bit dismissive this AM, are we, CDu? I could be wrong [gasp!], but I expect Jack White to compete for a spot in the rotation and to play.

I just don't think that White - a sub-200 recruit with apparent knee issues - will beat out either O'Connell or Tucker for backup minutes on the wing. It's not a "this AM" issue. I've made this statement before. I certainly could be wrong as well, but I simply don't think he's going to be an on-court factor this year.

The guy played 10 total minutes in ACC play last year, and I didn't think he looked particularly capable in those minutes. He did look solid in his pre-conference minutes (48 of those) against low-major opponents. And that feels about right for his talent level. I think he'd be a solid player in the America East, CAA, MAAC, Sun Belt, or WAC. I just don't think he'll be a rotation player for an upper-tier ACC team like Duke.

And I don't mean that to be disparaging. Not everyone is destined to be a rotation player at Duke. Heck, DeLaurier was a top-40 recruit, and he didn't sniff the floor last year and is expected to be a backup in the frontcourt rotation this year (and only if we don't get Bagley). With maybe 20 mpg up for grabs as backups on the wing, and with two top-65 recruits in the mix for those minutes, I have real trouble seeing a guy who I view as fringy-at-best at the ACC level being in the rotation.

Troublemaker
08-02-2017, 09:10 AM
I just don't think that White - a sub-200 recruit with apparent knee issues - will beat out either O'Connell or Tucker for backup minutes on the wing. It's not a "this AM" issue. I've made this statement before. I certainly could be wrong as well, but I simply don't think he's going to be an on-court factor this year.

The guy played 10 total minutes in ACC play last year, and I didn't think he looked particularly capable in those minutes. He did look solid in his pre-conference minutes (48 of those) against low-major opponents. And that feels about right for his talent level. I think he'd be a solid player in the America East, CAA, MAAC, Sun Belt, or WAC. I just don't think he'll be a rotation player for an upper-tier ACC team like Duke.

And I don't mean that to be disparaging. Not everyone is destined to be a rotation player at Duke. Heck, DeLaurier was a top-40 recruit, and he didn't sniff the floor last year and is expected to be a backup in the frontcourt rotation this year (and only if we don't get Bagley). With maybe 20 mpg up for grabs as backups on the wing, and with two top-65 recruits in the mix for those minutes, I have real trouble seeing a guy who I view as fringy-at-best at the ACC level being in the rotation.

I think projecting White based on how he looks on the court is fine, but I think the sub-200 ranking should be ignored.

Based on RSCI (http://www.draftexpress.com/RSCI/), it looks like only 247 Sports even attempted to rank him. And that ranking would mostly be guesswork since they never got to see White play against American players from his class.

http://i.imgur.com/eGgqvDC.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/4zAq8KK.png

CDu
08-02-2017, 09:27 AM
I think projecting White based on how he looks on the court is fine, but I think the sub-200 ranking should be ignored.

Based on RSCI (http://www.draftexpress.com/RSCI/), it looks like only 247 Sports even attempted to rank him. And that ranking would mostly be guesswork since they never got to see White play against American players from his class.

http://i.imgur.com/eGgqvDC.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/4zAq8KK.png

You're more than welcome to discard his recruiting ranking. Personally, I felt that it aligns with his play on the court. But your mileage may vary.

In either case, I didn't see anything from White last year or in his high school highlights to convince me that he will be competing for minutes next year. I think that he's an undersized PF. In a lower-tier conference, he'd be able to play that stretch-4 role quite nicely. But I don't think he has the size/athleticism to compete at the 4 (at Duke that is, I think he'd be just fine there against lesser competition), and I don't think he is quick enough to defend on the perimeter as a wing.

Jeffrey
08-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Here's hoping Jack does not have serious issues and gets better soon.

Like CDu, I do not expect Jack to get much PT this upcoming season. K is not going that deep.

flyingdutchdevil
08-02-2017, 11:22 AM

Like CDu, I do not expect Jack to get much PT this upcoming season. K is not going that deep.

So who plays the Andre Dawkins role this year? I think there is consensus that Duval, Grayson, and Trent are playing plenty of minutes. But we need a backup guard/wing, especially with two of the three backcourt starters being freshman.

If it's not Jack, then it has to be Tucker. I tend to agree with this, but I really hope Jack challenges Tucker for that spot.

Troublemaker
08-02-2017, 11:33 AM

Coach K can go 7-deep and still play Jack. The key is Jack needs to beat out JTuck, Alex, and JGold for the 4th perimeter spot.

I think he has a chance.

BD80
08-02-2017, 11:45 AM
I hear that in summer pick-up games, Jack has looked like a combination of Kyrie (ball handling), Steph (shooting), KD (height of shot release), LeBron (driving to basket), Kawhi (defense), Andre Drummond (rebounding), and Manu (passing).

Whatever happened to our pick-up game reports?

OldPhiKap
08-02-2017, 11:49 AM
I hear that in summer pick-up games, Jack has looked like a combination of Kyrie (ball handling), Steph (shooting), KD (height of shot release), LeBron (driving to basket), Kawhi (defense), Andre Drummond (rebounding), and Manu (passing).

We quit after Mary Pocius. Because there can only be one.

peloton
08-02-2017, 12:18 PM
We quit after Mary Pocius.

I had totally forgotten that Marty's sister played for Coach G back in the day, OPK :rolleyes:

Jeffrey
08-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Coach K can go 7-deep and still play Jack. The key is Jack needs to beat out JTuck, Alex, and JGold for the 4th perimeter spot.

I think he has a chance.

If K only goes 7-deep (most likely), then does Jack need to beat out Jordan T. and Antonio?

rsvman
08-02-2017, 12:23 PM
We quit after Mary Pocius. Because there can only be one.

Well, there was also Horvath....

I think pick-up game Horvath would smoke pick-up game Pocius.

Troublemaker
08-02-2017, 12:37 PM
If K only goes 7-deep (most likely), then does Jack need to beat out Jordan T. and Antonio?

Antonio probably doesn't figure into it. Somebody is going to get 4th perimeter player minutes, and yes, I think Jack has a chance to be that guy ahead of Jordan T.

CDu
08-02-2017, 12:50 PM
So who plays the Andre Dawkins role this year? I think there is consensus that Duval, Grayson, and Trent are playing plenty of minutes. But we need a backup guard/wing, especially with two of the three backcourt starters being freshman.

If it's not Jack, then it has to be Tucker. I tend to agree with this, but I really hope Jack challenges Tucker for that spot.

It doesn't have to be Tucker. It could also be O'Connell. Both are comparably rated. But Tucker is the slightly higher-rated of the two. So if I had to guess one, it would be Tucker. But I think both Tucker and O'Connell will see minutes.

dukelifer
08-02-2017, 12:51 PM

And none of those pros were better than Horvath in the summer.

flyingdutchdevil
08-02-2017, 12:55 PM
It doesn't have to be Tucker. It could also be O'Connell. Both are comparably rated. But Tucker is the slightly higher-rated of the two. So if I had to guess one, it would be Tucker. But I think both Tucker and O'Connell will see minutes.

O'Connell is very skilled, but his body isn't anywhere near that of a college player. For that reason, I have to go with Tucker. If he can keep offenses in check (a big if), then he wins all the minutes. It's a really big if. But I would go with a mature body with a reputation for no defense over an underdeveloped body with a reputation for no defense.

azzefkram
08-02-2017, 01:17 PM

I think he has a chance.

Is it a real chance or a

:D

Jeffrey
08-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Antonio probably doesn't figure into it. Somebody is going to get 4th perimeter player minutes, and yes, I think Jack has a chance to be that guy ahead of Jordan T.

I only mentioned Antonio because I suspect Jack & Antonio will be competing for the 8th spot. I think both will be role players playing very limited minutes. I think Tucker will earn the 4th perimeter spot.

OldPhiKap
08-02-2017, 01:32 PM
I had totally forgotten that Marty's sister played for Coach G back in the day, OPK :rolleyes:

LOL. Sad part is, I pulled it up on the internet to make sure that I had the last name spelled correctly (it's been a while).

flyingdutchdevil
08-02-2017, 01:42 PM
I only mentioned Antonio because I suspect Jack & Antonio will be competing for the 8th spot. I think both will be role players playing very limited minutes. I think Tucker will earn the 4th perimeter spot.

What 8th spot? This is Coach K we're talking about...

CDu
08-02-2017, 01:44 PM
O'Connell is very skilled, but his body isn't anywhere near that of a college player. For that reason, I have to go with Tucker. If he can keep offenses in check (a big if), then he wins all the minutes. It's a really big if. But I would go with a mature body with a reputation for no defense over an underdeveloped body with a reputation for no defense.

I will reserve judgement on O'Connell's physical readiness for until I actually see O'Connell participating against college players. Against high school players, he established himself as one of the top-100 players. He will have spent 3+ months getting his body ready at Duke, not to mention the work he did over the last year at the guidance of the Duke staff. I don't think he will be a finished product physically by November by any means. But I won't write him off for the year physically just yet.

Jeffrey
08-02-2017, 01:57 PM
What 8th spot? This is Coach K we're talking about...

I'm not letting reality get in the way of my dreams!

Troublemaker
08-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Is it a real chance or a

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7557&stc=1
:D

Ha! A real shot, I think. Jack's the most athletic of the candidates for the 4th perimeter spot and the most experienced, and I think there's a wider range of possibilities for him since he's a relative unknown as a foreign student. Who knows where he would've been ranked had he played AAU ball? A 2-star? A 4-star?

NSDukeFan
08-02-2017, 08:53 PM
I will reserve judgement on O'Connell's physical readiness for until I actually see O'Connell participating against college players. Against high school players, he established himself as one of the top-100 players. He will have spent 3+ months getting his body ready at Duke, not to mention the work he did over the last year at the guidance of the Duke staff. I don't think he will be a finished product physically by November by any means. But I won't write him off for the year physically just yet.

I thought he looked like he had put on some weight in the Duke Blue Planet pictures with cinder blocks behind him.

killerleft
08-03-2017, 10:59 AM
I thought he looked like he had put on some weight in the Duke Blue Planet pictures with cinder blocks behind him.

Cinder blocks are not usually used for weight measurement unless you put one slightly behind the other to get the two-level effect.

NSDukeFan
08-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Cinder blocks are not usually used for weight measurement unless you put one slightly behind the other to get the two-level effect.

Sorry, I should have said he looks like he has added some size, based on the cinder blocks in the background.

Li_Duke
08-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Are we sure there is actually going to be much of a 4th perimeter player? I could see Coach K playing Duval, Allen, and Trent 35+ minutes and giving whichever of the bench guys who is hurting him least that night the remaining minutes.

CDu
08-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Are we sure there is actually going to be much of a 4th perimeter player? I could see Coach K playing Duval, Allen, and Trent 35+ minutes and giving whichever of the bench guys who is hurting him least that night the remaining minutes.

Yes, there will be a 4th perimeter player. Someone has to play those 15-20 minutes that the starters don't play.

jimsumner
08-03-2017, 01:05 PM

Allen? Likely

Duval? Perhaps.

Trent? Not so sure.

How certain are we that none of this trio (two of whom are freshmen) will get sick, become injured or get into foul trouble?

Or that K won't use Trent and/or Tucker and/or White at the 4 for at least a few minutes per game?

I'm quite certain there will be sufficient PT available off the bench for some combination of Tucker, O'Connell and White.