PDA

View Full Version : My home state foisted this chain on the public

throatybeard
10-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Hardees has introduced its latest dietary monstrosity, a massive breakfast burrito:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/stories.nsf/story/2867F73887048B50862573750063808E?OpenDocument

wilson
10-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Hardee's makes the blood vessels in my neck bulge (or are they just clogging?). Every time I see one of their ads celebrating their having been voted "Best Burger in ," I weep for America. I know they're not lying or anything, that they actually have been voted best burger in a number of municipalities. But those voters [I]really need to get out more or broaden their horizons or something. Or maybe they just need to die.

hc5duke
10-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Hardee's makes the blood vessels in my neck bulge (or are they just clogging?). Every time I see one of their ads celebrating their having been voted "Best Burger in ," I weep for America. I know they're not lying or anything, that they actually have been voted best burger in a number of municipalities. But those voters [I]really need to get out more or broaden their horizons or something. Or maybe they just need to die.

Hardee's burgers *are* better than other fast food restaurants, e.g. McD, Burger King, Wendy's, etc, and I think their commercials state they were voted best "fast food". I could be wrong, if they actually say "best burger in X", I agree that's really sad.

EarlJam
10-19-2007, 01:09 PM

I vote for death. By the way, when was the last time anyone here had a Filet O' Fish? Or better yet, the Double Filet O' Fish?

Greatest name in all of fast food sandwiches, man.

-EarlJam

colchar
10-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I vote for death. By the way, when was the last time anyone here had a Filet O' Fish? Or better yet, the Double Filet O' Fish?

-EarlJam

I haven't eaten at Rubber Ronnie's in a while but, when I did, I always got the Big Mac combo (supersized) and a Filet o' Fish. We don't have the doubles up here (or we didn't last time I ate there) but, if we did, I would definitely try one.

EarlJam
10-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I haven't eaten at Rubber Ronnie's in a while but, when I did, I always got the Big Mac combo (supersized) and a Filet o' Fish. We don't have the doubles up here (or we didn't last time I ate there) but, if we did, I would definitely try one.

I, EarlJam, usually treat myself to one or two Big Macs a year. I try to stay away from fast food as I am aging and don't want to have a heart attack anytime soon but those one - two days a year where I indulge in a Big Mac combo meal. Man. Those are special days indeed.

Last summer I drove down to Florida and decided that would be my Big Mac day. I still remember the meal. So good. So gosh dang mother flippin' good.

-Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed..........EarlJam

wilson
10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Hardee's burgers *are* better than other fast food restaurants, e.g. McD, Burger King, Wendy's, etc, and I think their commercials state they were voted best "fast food". I could be wrong, if they actually say "best burger in X", I agree that's really sad.

They actually do say "Best Burger" in both Atlanta and the Triangle (according to Citysearch surveys). They also appear in the top ten in numerous other locales. Hardee's may well be the consensus best fast food burger (though I would even disagree with that distinction), but in my book, that places them beneath countless other burgers by definition. Anyone who thinks Hardee's is better than, say, Wimpy's in Durham or The Vortex in Atlanta should be shot.

Indoor66
10-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I only wish I could get a Hardee's chicken sandwich down here - occationally. Always felt they had the best of that genré.

wilson
10-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I only wish I could get a Hardee's chicken sandwich down here - occationally. Always felt they had the best of that genré.

You've obviously never been to Chick-fil-A. Truett Cathy's fine establishment could b!tch slap any other fast food chicken sammich all the way down the street with both hands tied behind its back.

hc5duke
10-19-2007, 04:26 PM

Are you sure there is an accent over the e in genre? Pretty sure there isn't one since it's not pronounced -eh (i.e. coupé in UK, résumé), but I could be wrong.

Ditto about chik-fil-a being better, but I'm partial to Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich

EarlJam
10-19-2007, 04:30 PM
You've obviously never been to Chick-fil-A. Truett Cathy's fine establishment could b!tch slap any other fast food chicken sammich all the way down the street with both hands tied behind its back.

Never, Wilson, have we agreed more. Chick-fil-A makes the only sandwich that I, EarlJam, never have the need to add a condiment to. A breast of chicken, two pickles, bread. I don't know how they do it, but they make it taste like heaven.

-EarlJam

throatybeard
10-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes, Chik-Fil-A is one of the few edible manifestations of fast food.

It's because they fry the chicken in peanut oil that it's so good.

allenmurray
10-19-2007, 05:30 PM

They also have the best tea of any fast food chain.

billybreen
10-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Chik-Fil-A has too much Jesus. It seems like the only time I have means and motive to hit one is on a Sunday, and that makes me crazy.

Lavabe
10-19-2007, 09:12 PM

That establishment bothers me to no end ... the Jes_s thing is a bit over the line, but what upsets me more is the spelling errors in everything they do. :mad:

Having said that, the sandwiches are mighty tasty ... with either a lemonade or a beer.:o

I disagree with EJam ... try some of your favorite hot sauce on one of their sandwiches.

Cheers,
Lavabe

allenmurray
10-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Chik-Fil-A has too much Jesus. It seems like the only time I have means and motive to hit one is on a Sunday, and that makes me crazy.

Two of the best three BBQ restaurants I know of are closed on Sunday. If I can forgive them for that, I can also extend my forgiveness to the wonderful cows who own and operate ChickFilA.

YmoBeThere
10-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Having moved to the Northeast, real "BBQ" becomes a near religous experience any day of the week.

I eat the ChickFilA fries without ketchup, I agree with EarlJam that a ChickFilA chicken sandwich is better sans condiments...

wilson
10-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah, any time you're in a place where they think "barbecue" is a verb, your prospects ain't good.

DevilAlumna
10-20-2007, 02:28 AM

-EarlJam

I've been turned off from fast food fish sandwiches ever since that old Wendy's commercial, "If it's round, it's a burger, if it's square, it's fish!"

I understand EJ's "Big Mac" craving, but for me, it's a Quarter Pounder with Cheese. It's rare, but some times, it's just *mandatory* that I have one. (Usually on a road trip.)

Jim3k
10-20-2007, 03:00 AM
Hardee's may well be the consensus best fast food burger (though I would even disagree with that distinction), but in my book, that places them beneath countless other burgers by definition.

True, so true. Out here on the Coast the best burger by chain would be the Inn 'N Out Burger, followed closely by Nation's.

But the best can be found at various independents. In my town, George's Giant Burger has made the Bay Area's best list numerous times over the years. Sirloin, ground before your very eyes. Cooked your way. Add your own fixin's. MMMmmm.

Lavabe
10-20-2007, 07:21 AM
True, so true. Out here on the Coast the best burger by chain would be the Inn 'N Out Burger, followed closely by Nation's.

When we were in the Northwest this summer, we ran across a locavore/sustainable fast food chain called Burgerville. The burgers were great, as were Idaho fries, Walla Walla onion rings, and berry shakes. The kid's meal we ordered included a gardening book with a couple of packages of seeds (no plastic toys). Maybe it was the ambience, maybe it was the taste, maybe it was both, but I actually felt good about going into a fast food chain.

Wish we could have been there for the sweet potato fries!

It looks as though it's a regional chain (Idaho, Washington, Oregon). Does Burgerville extend as far south as SF?

Cheers,
Lavabe

OZZIE4DUKE
10-20-2007, 07:39 AM
I, EarlJam, usually treat myself to one or two Big Macs a year. I try to stay away from fast food as I am aging and don't want to have a heart attack anytime soon but those one - two days a year where I indulge in a Big Mac combo meal. Man. Those are special days indeed.

Last summer I drove down to Florida and decided that would be my Big Mac day. I still remember the meal. So good. So gosh dang mother flippin' good.

-Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed..........EarlJam

I just love the Big Mac sauce, and sometimes, I just gotta have my fix. I've started ordering the double cheeseburger (from the dollar menu!) with no mustard (see the mustard thread as to why) and add Mac sauce - most stores will do it at no charge (there is actually a key on the cash register for the sauce). Tastes the same as the Big Mac, I don't miss the little shreds of lettuce, and I save about a buck and a half and the calories in the missing third slice of bun!

I've always been partial to the "hot ham and cheese" sandwiches at Hardees. And the Chic-Fil-A sandwich nekkid is perfect, just as some of you have said. As to adding a favorite hot sauce to it, I don't have a favorite hot sauce - not particularly fond of them.

That new breakfast burrito at Hardee's sounds pretty good. Reminds me of the "meat lovers omelet" at Denny's. That was heaven, and the calories and cholesterol in it will probably send you there.

- "bun seed sesame a on, onions, pickles, cheese, lettuce, sauce special, patties beef all two!"

cspan37421
10-20-2007, 08:24 AM
For me, a commercial is usually a sign of something that can't succeed on its own merits - but recently I just had to try the Hawaiian Chicken Sandwich at Hardees. I didn't even get the mean - the sandwich was nearly $4 anyway, but wow was it good.

Krystal Chicks are pretty good too, if you tire of hearing Amy Grant music at Chick-Fil-A.

wilson
10-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Wow, pile on Chick-fil-A thread, huh? In the interest of full disclosure, I love Jesus and don't really mind Him being around, but save the whole "closed on Sunday" thing, I never felt like He was really all that overtly present at Chick-fil-A. It has always struck me as a relatively inoffensive expression of Truett Cathy's right as an American to run his restaurant as he chooses. He explicitly states in his mission statement that he closes on Sunday "to ensure that every Chick-fil-A employee and restaurant operator has an opportunity to worship, spend time with family and friends or just plain rest from the work week." Not such an exclusively Christian philosophy, though certainly done from a Christian perspective. Chick-fil-A also goes out of its way to give kids their first job, and to remain involved in worthy community causes. In my book, that's really not so bad.

As for the sandwich, I typically dress it with a healthy drizzle of Polynesian Sauce (which I would drink if that were socially acceptable) and a less-healthy drizzle of Honey Mustard Sauce (sometimes just the contents of one standard mustard packet).

Indoor66
10-20-2007, 09:48 AM

But the best can be found at various independents. In my town, George's Giant Burger has made the Bay Area's best list numerous times over the years. Sirloin, ground before your very eyes. Cooked your way. Add your own fixin's. MMMmmm.

In Fort Lauderdale & Pompano Beach we have Jack's Burgers. They make their own patties (meat is never frozen) and each burger is cooked to order-you're way. Other than cheese and chili (if either or both ordered), you add your own fixin's - from catsup & mustard to pickles & onions, lettuce, tomato, jalapeños & mayo. A sumptuous feast.

The best chain burger I have had in NC is at Backyard Burgers. I usually went to the one in Boone, but there are others in the state. Delicious burgers and cheerful employees!

wilson
10-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Cookout is another good NC burger chain. But I'm so serious...whenever anybody is in Durham, you simply must eat a burger at Wimpy's on Hillsborough Road, a couple of miles form East Campus.
The only catch is that you have to do it for lunch on a weekday...They're only open from 7:30a.m. -2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
But really-just do it. Get a chili cheeseburger with slaw and whatever else you want. Also, their fountain Cokes are perfect. The fries, if fresh, are likewise perfect.
Can anyone back me up on this?

wilson
10-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Andy's is another heavenly NC burger chain (mostly eastern NC, I think...they darn sure oughta have something good out there).

Indoor66
10-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Cookout is another good NC burger chain. But I'm so serious...whenever anybody is in Durham, you simply must eat a burger at Wimpy's on Hillsborough Road, a couple of miles form East Campus.
The only catch is that you have to do it for lunch on a weekday...They're only open from 7:30a.m. -2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
But really-just do it. Get a chili cheeseburger with slaw and whatever else you want. Also, their fountain Cokes are perfect. The fries, if fresh, are likewise perfect.
Can anyone back me up on this?

How about King's Sandwich Shop on Washington St. behind the DAP? Is that still there. A great, grease laden burger with mustard, chili, slaw & onions - or "all the way."

colchar
10-20-2007, 12:51 PM
I've started ordering the double cheeseburger (from the dollar menu!) with no mustard

Mustard is absolutely disgusting.

That new breakfast burrito at Hardee's sounds pretty good. Reminds me of the "meat lovers omelet" at Denny's. That was heaven, and the calories and cholesterol in it will probably send you there.

It also reminds me of that breakfast sandwich that Burger King brought out last year.

Channing
10-20-2007, 01:21 PM
(1) Wimpys is great. I think it was my senior year at Duke our class president used some of our funds (i think) to subsidize wimpy's so that members of the class of 2004 got a pretty substantial discount. I went there for lunch multiple times each week.

(2) as for Chic-Fil-A. I love it. I have found the one (i think) in Manhattan and frequent it twice a week or so. I admire Truet Cathy's willingness to let his beliefs and morals override his desire for money. The franchise must lose a ton of cash being closed every Sunday, but in my book, if being closed on Sunday is important to you - great. As Wilson stated, Chic-Fil-A also takes care of their employees better than any other fast food restaurant. My friend had his college education subsidized by Chic-Fil-A because he had worked there while in high school.

throatybeard
10-20-2007, 04:57 PM
My friend had his college education subsidized by Chic-Fil-A because he had worked there while in high school.

There's a whole campus (the Mountain Campus) at Berry College for CFA scholarship recipients. My wife says the other kids call them the chicken people.

wilson
10-20-2007, 08:24 PM
(1) Wimpys is great. I think it was my senior year at Duke our class president used some of our funds (i think) to subsidize wimpy's so that members of the class of 2004 got a pretty substantial discount. I went there for lunch multiple times each week.

It appears, then, that we were classmates at Duke. You can thank me for that development, because along with about three classmates, I invented it.

Farlan
10-20-2007, 08:27 PM
How about King's Sandwich Shop on Washington St. behind the DAP? Is that still there. A great, grease laden burger with mustard, chili, slaw & onions - or "all the way."

Unfortunately, Dr. Sugg, the retired dentist who owned it, decided to close King's Sandwich Shop (I think within in the last year). I would love for someone to reopen it -- that part of Durham is rocking with the new farmer's market facility and the Central Park development (plus good new restaurants nearby like Piedmont and Rue Cler).

Agree on Wimpy's -- great hamburger and my favorite hotdog (all the way with chili, mustard, slaw and onions).

Indoor66
10-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately, Dr. Sugg, the retired dentist who owned it, decided to close King's Sandwich Shop (I think within in the last year). I would love for someone to reopen it -- that part of Durham is rocking with the new farmer's market facility and the Central Park development (plus good new restaurants nearby like Piedmont and Rue Cler).

Agree on Wimpy's -- great hamburger and my favorite hotdog (all the way with chili, mustard, slaw and onions).

Didn't realize he owned it. He used to be my dentist!

Lavabe
10-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I admire Truet Cathy's willingness to let his beliefs and morals override his desire for money. The franchise must lose a ton of cash being closed every Sunday, but in my book, if being closed on Sunday is important to you - great. As Wilson stated, Chic-Fil-A also takes care of their employees better than any other fast food restaurant. My friend had his college education subsidized by Chic-Fil-A because he had worked there while in high school.

Sorry, his influence on Georgia state character education curricula and Bibles-for-the-schools stuff doesn't sit well with me. See this review:
http://www.bamaed.ua.edu/~jpetrovi/bef504/Boyles1.pdf

There's also the fact that the Peach Bowl is no longer ... it's now the Chick-fil-A Bowl. ARRGH!!! :mad:

But I agree that his sandwiches are tasty. Thankfully, one can now get a fruit cup instead of fries. :D

Now about his spelling... EAT MORE CHIKIN :eek:
Wilson: as our resident grammar guy, you can't possibly tolerate this spelling, can you?

Come to think of it, it's Chick-fil-A, NOT Chic-Fil-A.
Cheers,
Lavabe

wilson
10-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Truett Cathy's spelling should bother me, but in this context, deliciousness trumps all.

snowdenscold
10-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow, pile on Chick-fil-A thread, huh? In the interest of full disclosure, I love Jesus and don't really mind Him being around, but save the whole "closed on Sunday" thing, I never felt like He was really all that overtly present at Chick-fil-A. It has always struck me as a relatively inoffensive expression of Truett Cathy's right as an American to run his restaurant as he chooses. He explicitly states in his mission statement that he closes on Sunday "to ensure that every Chick-fil-A employee and restaurant operator has an opportunity to worship, spend time with family and friends or just plain rest from the work week." Not such an exclusively Christian philosophy, though certainly done from a Christian perspective. Chick-fil-A also goes out of its way to give kids their first job, and to remain involved in worthy community causes. In my book, that's really not so bad.

The past 5 out of 7 times I've had a HUGE Chick-fil-A craving were all on Sundays. With that said, I think it's awesome of him that he would be bold enough in his beliefs to close down. I really respect that. Even though from a business PoV it's not the best idea, he realizes there are bigger issues - and although the Sabbath doesn't apply to us anymore like it did in the OT (it's not a sin to work seven days a week) - it's still a wise idea to take it, IMO and his.

Random story: My senior year, every day before a Latin 1 class in the Allen Building, I would pass West Union and thus EVERY single class day (MWF) I would stop in at Chick-fil-A for lunch and get the exact same thing: 8 piece chicken nuggets, waffle fries, and a cup of water. I would sit down and rip the top off the nuggets box off to squirt ketchup onto and proceed to eat for the first ten minutes of class. The entire semester. The very last day of class I was coming from the BC for some reason and got McDonald's. I came in and sat down and the entire class and teacher stared at me like something was terribly wrong.

DevilAlumna
10-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Come to think of it, it's Chick-fil-A, NOT Chic-Fil-A.

Well, if you're going to get all pedantic about it, it would be Chick Filet, would it not? :D

(And something about Chick Filet sounds very "Silence of the Lambs," so maybe it's best left alone....)

throatybeard
10-21-2007, 03:05 PM
It puts the peanut oil on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

Lavabe
10-23-2007, 04:17 AM
Besides Wilson's mention of Cookout, I simply cannot resist:

BISCUITVILLE

Hardees comes in a distant second when it comes to sheer biscuit taste.

As soon as I approach either Biscuitville or Burgerville, I keep thinking about "Omletteville," the Justin Timberlake SNL sketch he did with Chris Parnell.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Bluedawg
10-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Hardees has introduced its latest dietary monstrosity, a massive breakfast burrito:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/stories.nsf/story/2867F73887048B50862573750063808E?OpenDocument

Leno talked about this the other day. Actually it sounds good. If i wasn't so cheep and only ate off of the dollar menu I might try one.

Bluedawg
10-23-2007, 10:02 AM

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/bojangles.gif

has the best chicken...

lmb
10-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, any time you're in a place where they think "barbecue" is a verb, your prospects ain't good.

Believe it or not, here in central PA (and I think also in parts of northern MD), people call sloppy joe sandwiches "barbecue".

The Big Mac is the finest fast food creation. Burger King made an attempt to replicate it with "The Big King". It wasn't even close. Can someone explain how the same ingredient can wind up tasting so different?

Clipsfan
10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Never, Wilson, have we agreed more. Chick-fil-A makes the only sandwich that I, EarlJam, never have the need to add a condiment to. A breast of chicken, two pickles, bread. I don't know how they do it, but they make it taste like heaven.

-EarlJam

Might have something to do with all the butter they slap on the bread?

Clipsfan
10-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Hmm, making me hungry out here (12:15, heading to lunch in a few).

I went out to South Carolina for a wedding a couple years ago, and my gf thought I was weird because I insisted on having BOTH Bojangles and Chick Fil-A for lunch the first day out there. I even drove to another town because that was where the closest Bojangles was.

As for out here in LA, In 'N Out blows away those other burger chains. Do you have Fatburger out on the east coast yet? Also very solid. The best burgers are from the non chains, however. I eat too many burgers, they're so tasty!

hurleyfor3
10-23-2007, 03:20 PM
I haven't been in a YakDonald's since 2004 or so, but one informal lifetime goal of mine is to eat a double-double at every In-N-Out.

Clipsfan
10-23-2007, 05:24 PM
I haven't been in a YakDonald's since 2004 or so, but one informal lifetime goal of mine is to eat a double-double at every In-N-Out.

Why not aim higher? I've always thought the 3x3 was the way to go (hard to fit a 4x4 in my mouth, but an extra 50% meat and cheese).

hurleyfor3
10-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Why not aim higher? I've always thought the 3x3 was the way to go (hard to fit a 4x4 in my mouth, but an extra 50% meat and cheese).

I do get 3x3s if I'm especially hungry, but usually the double-double has enough fat and cholesterol for me.

wilson
10-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I visited In 'N Out when I was in L.A. in July, and I must say I was duly impressed...a delicious burger.
We do have Fatburger over here, and I likewise second that commendation. Also, there's a newish chain in Atlanta (and perhaps elsewhere) that is similarly splendid.

captmojo
10-23-2007, 11:06 PM

has the best chicken...

I-85, exit 95, South Carolina. Aunt Maude's. People line up in this Kangaroo store all night to get these delectable chicken parts.

wilson
10-24-2007, 07:21 AM
I-85, exit 95, South Carolina. Aunt Maude's. People line up in this Kangaroo store all night to get these delectable chicken parts.

OH HELL YEAH! I discovered that place completely by accident. I got lucky because it was an off hour or something. I just needed gas, but when I went inside, I had no choice. That place is the truth.

captmojo
10-24-2007, 01:31 PM
OH HELL YEAH! I discovered that place completely by accident. I got lucky because it was an off hour or something. I just needed gas, but when I went inside, I had no choice. That place is the truth.

I threw that out by chance hoping to get a second. Glad to see I wasn't the only one. People, this place rocks. If you are in the neighborhood, It's worth going out of the way for.

Mojo is only endorser, not investor. Cross my heart, you know the rest.;)

Master Shake
10-24-2007, 01:54 PM

has the best chicken...

Can anybody verify whether jobangles changed its slaw recipe? I used to love the vinegary slaw that you got there (Hillsborough Road location) but it had been 5 or so years since I ate there. Recently, I ate at one on Lawrenceville Hwy. in the Atlanta area and the slaw was much more mayonnaiseier. I emailed the company but have had no response. Just curious if anyone else has had same experience.

ghost
10-24-2007, 02:25 PM
I highly recommend the crispy spicy chicken sandwich... mmm... know I know what I'm having for dinner!

wilson
10-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Can anybody verify whether jobangles changed its slaw recipe? I used to love the vinegary slaw that you got there (Hillsborough Road location) but it had been 5 or so years since I ate there. Recently, I ate at one on Lawrenceville Hwy. in the Atlanta area and the slaw was much more mayonnaiseier. I emailed the company but have had no response. Just curious if anyone else has had same experience.

In my experience, Bojangle's actually has two different kinds of slaw, one or the other served at the individual franchise's discretion. I actually visited a Bo's once where they asked me whether I wanted mayonnaise slaw or vinegar slaw. I think the last time I ate at Bojangle's was in May, but if what was true then is now still true, you have nothing to worry about...the vinegar slaw lives.

wilson
10-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I visited In 'N Out when I was in L.A. in July, and I must say I was duly impressed...a delicious burger.
We do have Fatburger over here, and I likewise second that commendation. Also, there's a newish chain in Atlanta (and perhaps elsewhere) that is similarly splendid.

Wow, I'm an idiot. The newish chain in Atlanta (and perhaps elsewhere) that I so brilliantly forgot to name is called Five Guys.
Anyone?

Lavabe
10-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Wow, I'm an idiot. The newish chain in Atlanta (and perhaps elsewhere) that I so brilliantly forgot to name is called Five Guys.
Anyone?

You are correct sir, yes!

There's a Five Guys at the Lindbergh MARTA Station Center ... and one in Roswell. The one at Lindbergh isn't too terribly far from a Fatburger.

Given that Atlanta has a few rip-off Ray's Pizza places, I'm waiting for the day (like it will EVER come here) when Atlanta gets a Papaya King.:rolleyes:

Hey ... it only took Atlanta HOW many years before we could get Carvel?

Cheers,
Lavabe

snowdenscold
10-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Anyone?

Five Guys started in the northern virginia area 15-20 years ago, I believe. Originally it was just two or three hole in the wall joints run by a guy and his sons. The places looked like crap, including a giant box of peanuts and shells all over the tables and floor, but the food there was awesome - so it became a local's favorite. I remember going there often throughout high school in the 90's.

Anyway, back five or so years ago, the owner eventually relented and decided to franchise - and now you see them springing up all over the mid-atlantic region, in numerous strip malls in Virginia and other states (mall food courts as well, such as Southpoint).

Great burgers (and rumor has it excellent hot dogs as well, though I've never tried one) - but be warned, the "regular" (smaller) french fry is plenty for two people. Don't get the large unless there's at least three of you.

wilson
10-24-2007, 11:33 PM
You are correct sir, yes!

There's a Five Guys at the Lindbergh MARTA Station Center ... and one in Roswell. The one at Lindbergh isn't too terribly far from a Fatburger.

Given that Atlanta has a few rip-off Ray's Pizza places, I'm waiting for the day (like it will EVER come here) when Atlanta gets a Papaya King.:rolleyes:

Hey ... it only took Atlanta HOW many years before we could get Carvel?

Cheers,
Lavabe

Um...what's Papaya King? And, um...what's Carvel?
*ducking*

Lavabe
10-25-2007, 04:05 AM
Um...what's Papaya King? And, um...what's Carvel?
*ducking*

Papaya King has about as much chance franchising in this region as ... well, choose your greatest metaphorical impossibility.

PK is about 75 years old, home to some of the best hot dogs around, but in combo with, sounds weird, papaya juice (and other tropical fruit juices):
http://www.papayaking.com/index.htm
The dogs (err, frankfurters) are special, but combine them with tropical fruit drinks, a side of the special fries (or with a knish) is unique. Some folks view PK as overrated; you can't compete with the pushcart Sabretts. The pushcarts are gREAT, but PK is special.

Carvel?!?!?! It's an ice cream chain that originated in the northeast. The founder, Tom Carvel, used to be featured on all the commercials (sort of like Frank Perdue, the Chicken man). Genuinely great ice cream, but also loads of specialty ice cream products, including FUDGIE THE WHALE ice cream cakes. The chain finally hit Atlanta some 4 years ago.

If I'm going to try Fat Matt's Rib Shack, you should try out Carvel.

Cheers,
Lavabe

lmb
10-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Carvel?!?!?! It's an ice cream chain that originated in the northeast. The founder, Tom Carvel, used to be featured on all the commercials (sort of like Frank Perdue, the Chicken man). Genuinely great ice cream, but also loads of specialty ice cream products, including FUDGIE THE WHALE ice cream cakes.

My husband and I joke about the Carvel commercials. The guy doing the voice-overs, who I guess was Tom Carvel, sounded like he smoked 20 packs a day. It was kind of like listening to Krusty the Clown.

"Hey kids, how about a Fudgie the Whale cake for your next birthday?".

Also, did you ever notice that every single cake had the same shape?

Channing
10-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Anyone?

5 guys is awesome. Of course they put one in Athens Georgia as soon as I left there.

Bluedawg
10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Anyone?

Love 5 guys...good burger and free peanuts

Bluedawg
10-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Papaya King has about as much chance franchising in this region as ... well, choose your greatest metaphorical impossibility.

PK is about 75 years old, home to some of the best hot dogs around, but in combo with, sounds weird, papaya juice (and other tropical fruit juices):
http://www.papayaking.com/index.htm
The dogs (err, frankfurters) are special, but combine them with tropical fruit drinks, a side of the special fries (or with a knish) is unique. Some folks view PK as overrated; you can't compete with the pushcart Sabretts. The pushcarts are gREAT, but PK is special.

Carvel?!?!?! It's an ice cream chain that originated in the northeast. The founder, Tom Carvel, used to be featured on all the commercials (sort of like Frank Perdue, the Chicken man). Genuinely great ice cream, but also loads of specialty ice cream products, including FUDGIE THE WHALE ice cream cakes. The chain finally hit Atlanta some 4 years ago.

If I'm going to try Fat Matt's Rib Shack, you should try out Carvel.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Its been a while, but if I remember correctly the best dogs come from the Varsity (http://www.thevarsity.com/history.php?action=timeline)in Atlanta.