PDA

View Full Version : Mark Alarie's daughter playing with USA basketball

Daddylawman
07-17-2017, 05:37 PM
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/07/wu19-exh-1-esp.aspx

Sorry if this has been posted already. If so, I missed it. I graduated in '86 with Mark (and Johnny D., Jay Bilas, David Henderson, and Weldon Williams). I thought I felt old when my daughter graduated college, but this was a reality check. Glad to see the apple didn't fall far - academically or athletically

WillJ
07-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Pretty cool.

FWIW, Mark's daughter will be playing at Princeton next year with DC All-Met Abby Meyers, daughter of Steve Meyers, Duke class of 1983.

Also, my son was playing an AAU game around here and Mark's son was playing in the game after. Mark complimented my son's coach on how hard his team had played and the coach, about 25, said thanks and moved on. I went to our coach and said, basically, "Do you realize that you just got complimented by Mark ****ing Alarie!" "Who's Mark Alarie?" was his reply. It's sad getting old:).

WillJ
07-17-2017, 09:14 PM
was Bill Jackman, who was a nice kid in my limited experience. He transferred back to his homestate University of Nebraska team, where he was a serviceable player. He was a good outside shooter and would be more valuable in today's game. I had his little brother in one of the economics classes I taught at the University of Chicago back in the late 1980s. Little brother was also a nice, smart kid.....seemed athletic, but was only 6'1" or thereabouts.

OldPhiKap
07-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Alarie was one of my favorite players, on what is no doubt my favorite team. Glad to see this.

westwall
07-17-2017, 10:49 PM
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/07/wu19-exh-1-esp.aspx

Sorry if this has been posted already. If so, I missed it. I graduated in '86 with Mark (and Johnny D., Jay Bilas, David Henderson, and Weldon Williams). I thought I felt old when my daughter graduated college, but this was a reality check. Glad to see the apple didn't fall far - academically or athletically

Strange that neither the lead article nor the accompaning ("Ivy League Duo . . ") article make any mention of Bella'a parentage or basketball roots, but do mention her grandfather, a former Princeton professor. If Mark, a former All-American, is her father, why is that not acknowledged?

luvdahops
07-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Pretty cool.

FWIW, Mark's daughter will be playing at Princeton next year with DC All-Met Abby Meyers, daughter of Steve Meyers, Duke class of 1983.

Also, my son was playing an AAU game around here and Mark's son was playing in the game after. Mark complimented my son's coach on how hard his team had played and the coach, about 25, said thanks and moved on. I went to our coach and said, basically, "Do you realize that you just got complimented by Mark ****ing Alarie!" "Who's Mark Alarie?" was his reply. It's sad getting old:).

FWIW, Bella led Princeton in scoring (12.6), rebounding (8.0) and blocks (1.7) this past year as a freshman, and shot 38% on threes, making 1.3 per game. She is listed as a 6-4 G/F on their roster.

johnb
12-18-2018, 11:14 AM
FWIW, Bella led Princeton in scoring (12.6), rebounding (8.0) and blocks (1.7) this past year as a freshman, and shot 38% on threes, making 1.3 per game. She is listed as a 6-4 G/F on their roster.

Here's an update on Mark Alarie's daughter, Bella, who was the Ivy League POY last year as a sophomore and is apparently just back from an injury.

Daily Princetonian: http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/article/2018/12/alarie-returns-to-lead-womens-basketball-past-quinnipiac
USA Basketball: https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/a/alarie-bella.aspx

HereBeforeCoachK
12-18-2018, 01:13 PM

It's also sad that an AAU coach, at any age, wouldn't assume that a 6 foot 8 inch father was very likely a college basketball player. I mean, what are the odds???? (FWIW Alarie is one of my all time favorite Duke players, and the 86 team is my all time favorite team in many ways. Also, forever and ever, Alarie will be the guy who busted the cherry at the Dean's Myth Center. That's worth a lot IMO!!! :p

Owen Meany
12-18-2018, 02:15 PM
It's also sad that an AAU coach, at any age, wouldn't assume that a 6 foot 8 inch father was very likely a college basketball player. I mean, what are the odds???? (FWIW Alarie is one of my all time favorite Duke players, and the 86 team is my all time favorite team in many ways. Also, forever and ever, Alarie will be the guy who busted the cherry at the Dean's Myth Center. That's worth a lot IMO!!! :p

In all fairness, I'm not sure that the Duke coaches recognized Mark Alarie either.

From the Washington Post

Mark Alarie quietly hoped his alma mater, Duke, would get involved considering he took Bella to the school’s basketball camp every summer as she grew up.

“But we haven’t even gotten a letter,” he said, not hiding his disappointment after a recent National Cathedral game.

As a Duke fan, that is disappointing to me also.

IMHO, Mark Alarie is the greatest Duke player who has not had his jersey retired. I immediately think of him whenever their is a discussion if Allen, Singler, etc should have that honor.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-18-2018, 02:25 PM
In all fairness, I'm not sure that the Duke coaches recognized Mark Alarie either.

From the Washington Post

Mark Alarie quietly hoped his alma mater, Duke, would get involved considering he took Bella to the school’s basketball camp every summer as she grew up.

“But we haven’t even gotten a letter,” he said, not hiding his disappointment after a recent National Cathedral game.

IMHO, Mark Alarie is the greatest Duke player who has not had his jersey retired. I immediately think of him whenever their is a discussion if Allen, Singler, etc should have that honor.

To clarify my point....if I'm coaching an AAU team, and any AAU parent who is 6-8 comes up to talk to me, I would assume it someone who was a college player....and if he congratulated me on my coaching, I would imagine I would ask his name. And yes, retiring 32 wouldn't be a bad gesture at all. Love that SI cover...

Jedweb
12-18-2018, 02:40 PM
Recent poster, but a reader of this board almost since inception. Disappointing that JPM was unaware that Mark was an alumnus, and not only that but an outstanding basketball player, and that JPM didn't even give the young Ms Alarie a courtesy hello. On the other hand the women's program, despite some early stellar recruiting is undeniably in decline. Too bad. I expect that it will not begin rising until we have a more competent coach.

budwom
12-18-2018, 03:04 PM

From the Washington Post

Very disappointing and utterly unsurprising concerning his daughter getting zero attention from the Duke staff.

chrishoke
12-18-2018, 03:20 PM
in all fairness, i'm not sure that the duke coaches recognized mark alarie either.

From the washington post

mark alarie quietly hoped his alma mater, duke, would get involved considering he took bella to the school’s basketball camp every summer as she grew up.

“but we haven’t even gotten a letter,” he said, not hiding his disappointment after a recent national cathedral game.

as a duke fan, that is disappointing to me also.

Imho, mark alarie is the greatest duke player who has not had his jersey retired. I immediately think of him whenever their is a discussion if allen, singler, etc should have that honor.

Shameful!

duke79
12-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Very disappointing and utterly unsurprising concerning his daughter getting zero attention from the Duke staff.

True.......but from Mark's and his daughter's perspective, Princeton is not a bad second choice!

budwom
12-18-2018, 03:56 PM
True....but from Mark's and his daughter's perspective, Princeton is not a bad second choice!

as a friend of mine says, it's like falling into the outhouse and coming out with a gold watch.

Owen Meany
12-18-2018, 04:10 PM
To clarify my point...if I'm coaching an AAU team, and any AAU parent who is 6-8 comes up to talk to me, I would assume it someone who was a college player...and if he congratulated me on my coaching, I would imagine I would ask his name. And yes, retiring 32 wouldn't be a bad gesture at all. Love that SI cover...

Recent poster, but a reader of this board almost since inception. Disappointing that JPM was unaware that Mark was an alumnus, and not only that but an outstanding basketball player, and that JPM didn't even give the young Ms Alarie a courtesy hello. On the other hand the women's program, despite some early stellar recruiting is undeniably in decline. Too bad. I expect that it will not begin rising until we have a more competent coach.

To clarify, I was being sarcastic when I stated that the Duke coaches didn't recognize Mark Alarie. I was always surprised and disappointed that Bella didn't receive any attention from the Duke staff given the fact that she was obviously a D1 talent who attended Duke camps and was the daughter of an important member of the Duke basketball family. I jokingly said he wasn't recognized by the staff following up on HBCK's comment because I felt he/she deserved to be recognized and reached out to in some form (if nothing else a courtesy hello, as Jedweb mentioned). I should have ended my post with a :).

Owen Meany
12-18-2018, 06:29 PM
I had the volume down, so not sure if they mentioned it, but Alarie is at the game tonight seated right behind Nolan Smith.

DU82
12-18-2018, 06:36 PM
Mark Alarie’s in the house tonight for the men’s Princeton game.