PDA

View Full Version : Canada spanks USA U-19 team (coached by Calipari) 99-87

Troublemaker
07-08-2017, 04:38 PM
It's not as easy as it looks, Cal.

Canada advances to the gold medal game against Italy. USA will play for bronze against Spain.

TKG
07-08-2017, 04:44 PM
It's not as easy as it looks, Cal.

Canada advances to the gold medal game against Italy. USA will play for bronze against Spain.

Waiting for Calipari's personal press agent, Adrian Woj, to pin the blame on K.

dukefan_828
07-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Pretty funny since cal is the coach and in the lakers summer league game last night commentator PJ Carlisimo announced the dominance of USA basketball being on top in every age group men and womens hoops in international play. then a day later this happens!! Very patriotic but bronze never looked so good to this here proud 'Merican!:cool::cool:

Troublemaker
07-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Box Score here (http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2017/0807/Canada-USA#|tab=boxscore_statistics).

RJ Barrett led the way for Canada with 38 points. Whether he reclassifies to 2018 or stays in 2019, hopefully Duke is all over this kid.

Ichabod Drain
07-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Box Score here (http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2017/0807/Canada-USA#|tab=boxscore_statistics).

RJ Barrett led the way for Canada with 38 points. Whether he reclassifies to 2018 or stays in 2019, hopefully Duke is all over this kid.

He was literally doing whatever he wanted all over the court against USA's best players.

devildeac
07-08-2017, 04:59 PM
And we even got 206 minutes for our players/team according to the box score and Canada only was allowed to play 200 minutes total. Even more embarrassing. :rolleyes:

Troublemaker
07-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress) 11m11 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/883791517227384832)
No press conference following the conclusion of this game. FIBA officials asked John Calipari to come answer questions, but were shut down.

Troublemaker
07-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress) 39m39 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/883786347873521665)
John Calipari is about to become the first coach of a USA Basketball squad to lose a game since Paul Hewitt (now a NBA scout) in 2011.

MChambers
07-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress) 11m11 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/883791517227384832)
No press conference following the conclusion of this game. FIBA officials asked John Calipari to come answer questions, but were shut down.

Stay classy, John.

Billy Dat
07-08-2017, 05:23 PM
When twitter told me this was a game, I watched the final 6 minutes and found myself rooting for Canada as an anti-Cal move. I never root against the USA.

HA HA HA!

Zagoria claims we are in the mix for Barett. Dude is TOUGH!

Bob Green
07-08-2017, 05:41 PM
My love of the USA far outweighs my dislike of any coach. The result of this game is deeply disappointing.

DukieInKansas
07-08-2017, 05:44 PM
My love of the USA far outweighs my dislike of any coach. The result of this game is deeply disappointing.

Ditto

Billy Dat
07-08-2017, 05:58 PM

I thought mine was too, but my emotions showed my true colors.

Indoor66
07-08-2017, 06:10 PM

Definitely agree!

Steven43
07-08-2017, 06:57 PM
I thought mine was too, but my emotions showed my true colors.

Yep. Let me know when the Olympics begin. Otherwise, meh. Love seeing Calipari lose. The one time I can remember rooting strongly for him--Kentucky v. UNC in the 2017 NCAAs--he blew it. Though I didn't think it possible, his team's loss to an inferior UNC team made me dislike him even more.

Troublemaker
07-08-2017, 07:24 PM

I agree with the bolded statement AND I enjoyed the result of this game. (i.e. I think my love of country is irrelevant to my reaction to this result.)

kAzE
07-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Wow, Cam Reddish with the -24 (http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2017/0807/Canada-USA#|tab=boxscore_statistics) . . . was hoping at least he showed up to play.

DukeTrinity11
07-08-2017, 08:55 PM
That kid on Canada RJ Barrett looked like the 2nd coming of LeBron James today. And apparently he's just about to be a HS JUNIOR?? Wow.

Please get him Coach K.

SilkyJ
07-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Wow, Cam Reddish with the -24 (http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2017/0807/Canada-USA#|tab=boxscore_statistics) . . . was hoping at least he showed up to play.

Cam is a little too 3 happy for my liking. He's a beast athlete and slasher and needs to play to his strengths.

He shot 4 of his 7 shots from 3 vs Canada and missed them all. He shot 28% from 3 on the EYBL circuit. He did shoot 11-21 in 6 games in the tournament...but those 21 shots were 58% of his total FGs.

He needs to work on being consistent from 3 and needs to rely on it less.

kostar
07-08-2017, 11:05 PM
As a Canadian and a Duke fan - this makes me very happy :D

#poorcoachcal - and not talking to media after? tsk tsk.

Spanarkel
07-09-2017, 07:23 AM
Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress) 39m39 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/883786347873521665)
John Calipari is about to become the first coach of a USA Basketball squad to lose a game since Paul Hewitt (now a NBA scout) in 2011.

The 2015 USA Basketball Pan American Games team, coached by Mark Few, lost two games and finished with the bronze medal.

JasonEvans
07-09-2017, 08:55 AM
That kid on Canada RJ Barrett looked like the 2nd coming of LeBron James today. And apparently he's just about to be a HS JUNIOR?? Wow.

Please get him Coach K.

#1 player in the class of 2019. The always accurate 247 crystal ball is 100% to Duke at this point.

Indoor66
07-09-2017, 09:33 AM
#1 player in the class of 2019. The always accurate 247 crystal ball is 100% to Duke at this point.

WOW, that makes me confident. :rolleyes::cool:

Troublemaker
07-09-2017, 10:46 AM
As awhom mentioned in the "International" thread, Canada was playing without their starting PG and one of their best players Lindell Wigginton. That forced Barrett to play a lot of PG as you can see in the highlights below. It would've probably made sense for Calipari to press and trap Barrett in the backcourt, force the ball out of his hands, and then play denial defense on him the rest of the possession to make things tougher for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szpmaGhkFB0

duke4ever19
07-09-2017, 11:18 AM
As awhom mentioned in the "International" thread, Canada was playing without their starting PG and one of their best players Lindell Wigginton. That forced Barrett to play a lot of PG as you can see in the highlights below. It would've probably made sense for Calipari to press and trap Barrett in the backcourt, force the ball out of his hands, and then play denial defense on him the rest of the possession to make things tougher for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szpmaGhkFB0

It sounds like they played this game in a traffic jam. A steady dose of beeps and droning horn sounds.

It's always weird to hear how different crowd noise can be in other countries.

Ichabod Drain
07-09-2017, 11:22 AM
The 2015 USA Basketball Pan American Games team, coached by Mark Few, lost two games and finished with the bronze medal.

Saw people bring this up on Twitter but apparently that wasn't a FIBA event. I guess it still counts but I imagine you don't really get the best talent at non-Fiba events.

SCMatt33
07-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Saw people bring this up on Twitter but apparently that wasn't a FIBA event. I guess it still counts but I imagine you don't really get the best talent at non-Fiba events.

So I would think it exists in sort of a gray area. The pan-am games aren't a FIBA event, but that team IS organized by USA basketball, so from that standpoint it would count. In any case, this isn't the first time Calipari lost a large undefeated streak to a red an white team in the semifinals of a tournament in which they were heavy favorites!

Indoor66
07-09-2017, 12:37 PM
So I would think it exists in sort of a gray area. The pan-am games aren't a FIBA event, but that team IS organized by USA basketball, so from that standpoint it would count. In any case, this isn't the first time Calipari lost a large undefeated streak to a red an white team in the semifinals of a tournament in which they were heavy favorites!

That calls for BadaBing, BadaBoom!

jimsumner
07-09-2017, 01:13 PM

There's a real chance he reclassifies to the class of 2018.

grossbus
07-09-2017, 08:53 PM
"It would've probably made sense for Calipari to press and trap Barrett in the backcourt, force the ball out of his hands, and then play denial defense on him the rest of the possession to make things tougher for him."

that would assume Cal knows how to coach.

westwall
07-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Cam [Reddish] is a little too 3 happy for my liking. He's a beast athlete and slasher and needs to play to his strengths.

He shot 4 of his 7 shots from 3 vs Canada and missed them all. He shot 28% from 3 on the EYBL circuit. He did shoot 11-21 in 6 games in the tournament...but those 21 shots were 58% of his total FGs. He needs to work on being consistent from 3 and needs to rely on it less.

It wasn't just Reddish. Hamidou Diallo (KY) shot 2 for 11 (2/10,0/1) in 17 1/2 minutes, which must be another thing that displeased Calipari.

Mike Corey
07-09-2017, 09:41 PM

I agree with this. And my love for USA makes me terrifically disappointed that a dreadful coach like Calipari is allowed to steward the best U-19 players our country has to offer.

Duke79UNLV77
07-09-2017, 10:35 PM
There's a real chance he reclassifies to the class of 2018.

I saw an interview from last year in which Evan Daniels asked him an open-ended question about recruiting, and Barrett said he grew up a Duke fan. Not a bad mindset to start the recruiting process!

JasonEvans
07-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Hamidou Diallo (KY) shot 2 for 11 (2/10,0/1) in 17 1/2 minutes, which must be another thing that displeased Calipari.

Diallo is a remarkable athlete and physical specimen (he's 6-5, with a 6-11 wingspan), but not a highly skilled basketball player. We are talking about a guy who shot 20% from 3 on the EYBL circuit a year ago and then did about the same when playing for his prep school in the fall. He supposedly has some trouble with his handle and he tends to get lost on D. Far from being "none-and-done," as some said he might be a few months ago, I won't be all that shocked if he finds his way back to Kentucky for a second season in 2018-19. He's a product of hype, not results.

-Jason "DraftExpress has him #24 in the 2018 draft... not exactly a lock first rounder" Evans

AtlDuke72
07-10-2017, 10:27 AM
I agree with this. And my love for USA makes me terrifically disappointed that a dreadful coach like Calipari is allowed to steward the best U-19 players our country has to offer.

I think all the criticism of Caliparai is over the top. He is obnoxious but obviously a great coach. Coach can't help it if the players miss 18 free throws and shoot poorly.

sagegrouse
07-10-2017, 11:45 AM
I think all the criticism of Caliparai is over the top. He is obnoxious but obviously a great coach. Coach can't help it if the players miss 18 free throws and shoot poorly.

Moroever, we have to give credit to that brutal Canadian free-throw defense.

kAzE
07-10-2017, 12:46 PM

That's not obvious to me at all. He's a great recruiter. He's a mediocre coach. Even UK fans admit his X's and O's suck. He does 2 things well: recruit and manage egos. Those are important assets for NCAA basketball, but not very useful in a Team USA setting. It's a joke that he thought he should have been the senior national team's coach over Popovich.

flyingdutchdevil
07-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Diallo is a remarkable athlete and physical specimen (he's 6-5, with a 6-11 wingspan), but not a highly skilled basketball player. We are talking about a guy who shot 20% from 3 on the EYBL circuit a year ago and then did about the same when playing for his prep school in the fall. He supposedly has some trouble with his handle and he tends to get lost on D. Far from being "none-and-done," as some said he might be a few months ago, I won't be all that shocked if he finds his way back to Kentucky for a second season in 2018-19. He's a product of hype, not results.

-Jason "DraftExpress has him #24 in the 2018 draft... not exactly a lock first rounder" Evans

He's the anti-Kennard: super athlete, mediocre basketball player. And Coach K loveeees his basketball players over his athletes. I really hope Duval can be the next in a longish line of great basketball/athletes at Duke (Jay Williams, Grant Hill, Justise Winslow [back when he could shoot], Jabari Parker, etc)

GGLC
07-10-2017, 01:12 PM
That's not obvious to me at all. He's a great recruiter. He's a mediocre coach. Even UK fans admit his X's and O's suck. He does 2 things well: recruit and manage egos. Those are important assets for NCAA basketball, but not very useful in a Team USA setting. It's a joke that he thought he should have been the senior national team's coach over Popovich.

And he's a terrible person.

BD80
07-10-2017, 02:23 PM

I believe cool cal had a hand in selecting the team that shot so poorly. He placed his recruiting efforts (by selecting guys he's targeting and guys already committed to uk) above his DUTY to forward the cause of USA basketball.

The criticism is mild considering he put his own interests ahead of his country's.

NSDukeFan
07-10-2017, 03:36 PM
I believe cool cal had a hand in selecting the team that shot so poorly. He placed his recruiting efforts (by selecting guys he's targeting and guys already committed to uk) above his DUTY to forward the cause of USA basketball.

The criticism is mild considering he put his own interests ahead of his country's.

It wasn't about the team winning, it was giving these kids the chance to go to Egypt. It's all about the kids.

moonpie23
07-10-2017, 03:37 PM
meh....lehigh, mercer, etc......

sagegrouse
07-10-2017, 03:50 PM
meh...lehigh, mercer, etc...

I agree, Moonpie. Stay classy, guys. He's a Hall of Fame coach and his teams really get after it on the defensive end.

DukeTrinity11
07-10-2017, 04:17 PM
I agree, Moonpie. Stay classy, guys. He's a Hall of Fame coach and his teams really get after it on the defensive end.
We can criticize here because BBN considers Calipari as a legitimate threat to overtake K as the GOAT so Cal can't really afford these kind of bad losses.

Coach K has...

5 National Championships
12 Final 4s
26 ACC Titles (Regular Season + Tournament)
3 Olympic Gold Medals (Beijing, London and Rio de Janeiro)

Calipari has...

1 National Championship
4 Final 4s
10 SEC Titles (Regular Season + Tournament)

I definitely think Cal is a top 5 current coach but if you aspire to be the best, you will be held to a higher standard.

OldPhiKap
07-10-2017, 04:20 PM
It wasn't about the team winning, it was giving these kids the chance to go to Egypt. It's all about the kids.

I thought it was all about that bass.

Indoor66
07-10-2017, 04:21 PM
We can criticize here because BBN considers Calipari as a legitimate threat to overtake K as the GOAT so Cal can't really afford these kind of bad losses.

Coach K has...

5 National Championships
12 Final 4s
26 ACC Titles (Regular Season + Tournament)

Calipari has...

1 National Championship
4 Final 4s

I definitely think Cal is a top 5 current coach but if you aspire to be the best, you will be held to a higher standard.

But haven't two of the Final Fours been vacated?

brevity
07-10-2017, 04:29 PM

Yes.

1996*, 2008*, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015

Officially, he has only reached the Final Four with Kentucky.

Indoor66
07-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Yes.

And part of that vacating is that those events are now not permitted to be included in his record, so he has four final fours.

dball
07-10-2017, 05:44 PM

Coach K has...

Coach K led those three teams and assisted on two other gold medal squads(1984 and 1992). Coaches don't actually get medals though.

Troublemaker
07-10-2017, 09:11 PM

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you Kaze since you did make the distinction between NCAA and FIBA ball, but Calipari is a great college basketball coach. The results -- consistently deep tournament runs -- speak for themselves. Now, perhaps he attains those results merely by being a great recruiter (although it's possible that is overplayed by opposing fans like us), but so be it. Recruiting is part of the job; in college sports, the coaches are their own GMs, and if being an A+ recruiter by itself can produce deep tournament runs, I'd gladly accept that from my coach. If Coach K's eventual replacement has as much success as Calipari has had at UK, I'll be thrilled. (Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind if the NCAA comes for Calipari and UK's banners one day).

That said, I disagree with AtlDuke72 that the criticism of Calipari over this game has been over the top. USA Basketball has produced a tried-and-true formula of pressuring opponents into turnovers, and for some reason, Calipari went away from that despite Canada missing its starting point guard.

brevity
07-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Calipari has...

1 National Championship
4 Final 4s

Yes.

And part of that vacating is that those events are now not permitted to be included in his record, so he has four final fours.

So brave of you to claim the moral high ground when the moral high ground was stipulated. DukeTrinity11 already did the required math.

Olympic Fan
07-10-2017, 10:50 PM

Well, he had a hand in picking the team, but not total control.

And while he did include a couple of Kentucky kids (Diallo) and targets (Reddish), one of his prime targets -- Bol Bol -- was cut.

Not sure why Bagley, Williamson and Garland were not at the trials.

moonpie23
07-10-2017, 11:18 PM
my point is, no one wins everything...even the best coaches....at some point, it's how the players actually execute.

I've got no love for cal, or roy, but, they all lose sometimes...

bluenorth
07-11-2017, 08:40 AM

Barrett's father, Rowan, played for St. John's back in the day. BTW, has Duke had a Canadian on the roster since Greg Newton?

JNort
07-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Agreed. Great recruiter but as for actual coaching he is terrible

CrazyNotCrazie
07-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Barrett's father, Rowan, played for St. John's back in the day. BTW, has Duke had a Canadian on the roster since Greg Newton?

Just did a little google research on Barrett. His dad did play for St. John's in the early-mid 90's (makes me feel really old) - he overlapped there with Roshown McLeod and Felipe Lopez. Then he played pro internationally for a while, and is now assistant GM and Executive VP of Canada Basketball, working for Steve Nash. Barrett's mom was a sprinter at St. John's so I'm sure Mullin is trying to recruit him to help revitalize the program. He now plays for Monteverde Academy in Florida and turned 17 on June 14 so age-wise he could easily reclassify to 2018 as he will be 18 next summer. His HS coach Kevin Boyle was Kyrie's coach (he previously worked at St. Pat's in NJ) but Boyle has sent players to most every top program, so that doesn't necessarily count for much.

flyingdutchdevil
07-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Agreed. Great recruiter but as for actual coaching he is terrible

How do you define in-game coaching? W-L record? Success in the tournament?

I'm just curious, because Cal has been incredibly successful at UK in terms of winning.

OldPhiKap
07-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Cal is a very good coach IMO. I would put him above Roy, and probably on par with Pitino.

But I still wish that John Chaney had whooped his butt.

I'm fine with Cal bashing and all, but I don't see that the loss in this game was due to poor coaching decisions. JMHO (where I stole Sage's H).

flyingdutchdevil
07-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Cal is a very good coach IMO. I would put him above Roy, and probably on par with Pitino.

I'm fine with Cal bashing and all, but I don't see that the loss in this game was due to poor coaching decisions. JMHO (where I stole Sage's H).

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't get the assertion that Cal is a poor in-game coach. If he is, then one can easily make the assertion that so is Coach K.

Troublemaker
07-11-2017, 10:31 AM
How do you define in-game coaching? W-L record? Success in the tournament?

I'm just curious, because Cal has been incredibly successful at UK in terms of winning.

Agreed. You can't be a bad coach if these are your results the past 12 years:

http://i.imgur.com/qHbY6ta.png

That said, Cal was horrible in the Canada game. The announcers were practically begging him to put on an aggressive press for 40 minutes against a team missing its point guard. If Calipari had pressed and trapped to get the ball out of Barrett's hands and make him work to get it back, USA would've won, imo.

kAzE
07-11-2017, 11:18 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. I don't get the assertion that Cal is a poor in-game coach. If he is, then one can easily make the assertion that so is Coach K.

I'll be the first to admit that Coach K is not a supreme in-game coach. He's certainly not a poor in-game coach, but he's definitely not the best. Many of his stories of in-game coaching involve motivating his players with his words rather than drawing up a brilliant play. In terms of X's and O's, there are far better coaches. Brad Stevens, Rick Pitino, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, and certainly the G.O.A.T. Popovich are all better.

Where Coach K shines is that he is one of the best communicators in basketball and hands down the best motivator in the sport. When Coach K speaks, he knows how to reach his audience, regardless of their background or level of knowledge. Whether they are old or young, Ivy League educated, or in high school. He can connect with anyone, and that is a skill very few people have. As a teacher, and a leader of young men, this skill is what makes him great.

I would never argue that Calipari has not been successful at UK. The results speak for themselves. But his greatest strengths do not translate well to FIBA basketball. Cal is salesman at heart, Coach K is a teacher.

JasonEvans
07-11-2017, 12:10 PM
I'll be the first to admit that Coach K is not a supreme in-game coach. He's certainly not a poor in-game coach, but he's definitely not the best. Many of his stories of in-game coaching involve motivating his players with his words rather than drawing up a brilliant play. In terms of X's and O's, there are far better coaches. Brad Stevens, Rick Pitino, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, and certainly the G.O.A.T. Popovich are all better.

Where Coach K shines is that he is one of the best communicators in basketball and hands down the best motivator in the sport. When Coach K speaks, he knows how to reach his audience, regardless of their background or level of knowledge. Whether they are old or young, Ivy League educated, or in high school. He can connect with anyone, and that is a skill very few people have. As a teacher, and a leader of young men, this skill is what makes him great.

I would never argue that Calipari has not been successful at UK. The results speak for themselves. But his greatest strengths do not translate well to FIBA basketball. Cal is salesman at heart, Coach K is a teacher.

"Special"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DD2fEEVVMk

The above example of in-game coaching highlights another aspect of K's success that isn't spoken about all that much -- preparation. He is known to be tireless in preparing his teams and making sure they are able to handle any situation. There are many stories of how Duke works on situational stuff in practice so much that when those situations come up in a game, the players know exactly what to do. To me, that is a huge part of being a successful in-game coach.

-Jason "I do want to say that I admire much of what Calipari has done and think the notion that he is anything but an excellent coach is foolish. But, he's not even in the same conversation as K in terms of accomplishments" Evans

OldPhiKap
07-11-2017, 12:52 PM
"Special"

The above example of in-game coaching highlights another aspect of K's success that isn't spoken about all that much -- preparation. He is known to be tireless in preparing his teams and making sure they are able to handle any situation. There are many stories of how Duke works on situational stuff in practice so much that when those situations come up in a game, the players know exactly what to do. To me, that is a huge part of being a successful in-game coach.

-Jason "I do want to say that I admire much of what Calipari has done and think the notion that he is anything but an excellent coach is foolish. But, he's not even in the same conversation as K in terms of accomplishments" Evans

That's the same play I thought of too.

K sometimes gets slighted on his in-game coaching because we run a lot of motion, which essentially requires the players on the court to read the situation and make their own plays (as opposed to active play-calling by K). But we can only do that because K teaches it so well that we can run it effectively in-game. It seems to me that in the era of one-and-done, K has been much more active in calling offense and defense along with the usual inbounds calls, substitution patterns, etc. Not sure how the last few years do not cement him as a solid in-game coach.

flyingdutchdevil
07-11-2017, 12:55 PM
"Special"

This last quote sums up exactly how I feel. Cal is an amazing coach. He may even be (and I think he is) a better X's and O's coach than Coach K. But his accomplishments ail in comparison to Coach K. Coach K's accolades, trophies, respect, support, etc are on another level for a college coach. Hell, in all of basketball, I'd argue that Pop is the only one in the same league (Pat Riley and Phil Jackson too, but they aren't coaching anymore).

kAzE
07-11-2017, 12:57 PM

He's a really good in-game coach. All I tried to say is that he's not in the very top tier of X's and O's guys. I'm aware that K prepares as well as anyone, and I agree that counts as in game coaching. But you could also take any number of head scratching losses where his in-game adjustments (or lack thereof) just didn't work out. And I'm fine with that. Every coach has his or her strengths and weaknesses. Despite not being the best at everything, Coach K is the greatest coach in college basketball. Nobody is perfect at everything, and I'm sure he would agree.

NSDukeFan
07-11-2017, 02:06 PM
"Special"

Cal is not metaphorically in the same conversation as K in terms of accomplishments but he literally is.

SilkyJ
07-11-2017, 10:23 PM

Are there stats on out-of-bounds plays under the basket or sideline out-of-bounds plays on your offensive side? If so, I'm betting coach K ranks up there in terms of points per play or whatever metric you want to use.

moonpie23
07-11-2017, 11:04 PM
can we just not look at calhoun or uconn? ever? please?......

OldPhiKap
07-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Are there stats on out-of-bounds plays under the basket or sideline out-of-bounds plays on your offensive side? If so, I'm betting coach K ranks up there in terms of points per play or whatever metric you want to use.

I think the best in-bounds play coach I've ever seen, and I'm not kidding about this -- Skip Prosser. Money.

Edouble
07-11-2017, 11:35 PM

You're gonna have a hard time selling me on this one after that choke job against Syracuse in the Final Four.

I can't remember any team giving up a lead like that, except Maryland to Duke in 2001, which is the game I immediately go to when I think of Coach K's in game abilities.

tbyers11
07-12-2017, 07:20 AM
You're gonna have a hard time selling me on this one after that choke job against Syracuse in the Final Four.

I can't remember any team giving up a lead like that, except Maryland to Duke in 2001, which is the game I immediately go to when I think of Coach K's in game abilities.

UVA lost to Syracuse in the Elite Eight blowing a 15 point lead with about 9:30 left.

Duke lost to Kentucky in the Elite Eight in 1998 blowing a 17 point lead with 9:38. I believe that game originated the hatred of 17 point leads and the term nonslaught.
----
Back to the K/Cal issue. I don't think K gets enough credit for his in-game adjustments or his willingness to change up team dynamics in the middle of a season. Doesn't always work but K always seems to have a Plan B.

This is where I think Cal is a bit lacking. Otherworldly recruiter, great D coach, comes up with solid initial plans. He recognized that Fox/Monk was his strength this year and pushed pace at every opportunity. However, Cal doesn't seem willing to adjust or unable to do so well within a game or season. Not changing how they defended Barrett against Canada in the U19 Worlds. Sticking with that stupid platoon and putting the ball in the Harrison's hands way too much instead of feeding it into Towns in 2015.