PDA

View Full Version : Front Page Articles

Hauerwas
07-07-2017, 11:55 AM
This is more a question than a critique, but it seems to me that most of the Duke news on the DBR cover over the last 3 months has been primarily about guys who no longer play for Duke. Is it merely a calendar issue and timing based on the pre-draft, draft and post-draft news cycle? My guess is this is the main reason, but for someone who really does not follow a lot of Duke guys in the NBA, I'd really like to see the main DBR page focus on the guys who actually play for Duke instead of the guys who no longer do so. I'm way more interested in what Jordan Tucker is doing than what Jayson Tatum is up to in Utah.

Is this an attempt to build the Duke "NBA Prep" school brand or the new "Brotherhood" motto (which by the way, really? One year is all it takes to be a full standing member of the "Duke Brotherhood"? Seems guys like Brian Davis, Wojo, or Bobby Hurley would take offense to such an easy initiation fee) or simply an outflow of the yearly cycle of college hoop news?

Much ado about nothing?

jimsumner
07-07-2017, 12:05 PM
This is more a question than a critique, but it seems to me that most of the Duke news on the DBR cover over the last 3 months has been primarily about guys who no longer play for Duke. Is it merely a calendar issue and timing based on the pre-draft, draft and post-draft news cycle? My guess is this is the main reason, but for someone who really does not follow a lot of Duke guys in the NBA, I'd really like to see the main DBR page focus on the guys who actually play for Duke instead of the guys who no longer do so. I'm way more interested in what Jordan Tucker is doing than what Jayson Tatum is up to in Utah.

Is this an attempt to build the Duke "NBA Prep" school brand or the new "Brotherhood" motto (which by the way, really? One year is all it takes to be a full standing member of the "Duke Brotherhood"? Seems guys like Brian Davis, Wojo, or Bobby Hurley would take offense to such an easy initiation fee) or simply an outflow of the yearly cycle of college hoop news?

Much ado about nothing?

I'll go with much ado.

Jayson Tatum is playing formal basketball right now.

Jordan Tucker is not.

That's my take.

OldPhiKap
07-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Hopefully there will be plenty of football content in a few weeks!!

Troublemaker
07-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Is it merely a calendar issue and timing based on the pre-draft, draft and post-draft news cycle?

That's what it is. Plus, in general, the NBA is much more popular than college basketball.

DBR doesn't create the news articles; they just link to them and comment a little bit about them. If there were articles being written about Jordan Tucker, no doubt DBR would post them. There's no magical tree of news articles about current Duke players that DBR is refusing to pluck from and certainly no conspiracy to help brand Duke as an NBA prep school.

sagegrouse
07-07-2017, 01:07 PM
That's what it is. Plus, in general, the NBA is much more popular than college basketball.

DBR doesn't create the news articles; they just link to them and comment a little bit about them. If there were articles being written about Jordan Tucker, no doubt DBR would post them. There's no magical tree of news articles about current Duke players that DBR is refusing to pluck from and certainly no conspiracy to help brand Duke as an NBA prep school.

I would qualify what you say about the popularity of the NBA. College hoops is at the forefront of sports news from mid-February through the Final Four. March Madness and "everybody's brackets" are the high point of college basketball from the standpoint of general fan interest. The NBA seems to dominate the sports headlines after the Final Four and throughout the NBA playoffs and into the NBA draft.

July is the doldrums of sports; but, you're right, there is nothing much in the news about college hoops right now.

brevity
07-07-2017, 01:41 PM
I would qualify what you say about the popularity of the NBA. College hoops is at the forefront of sports news from mid-February through the Final Four. March Madness and "everybody's brackets" are the high point of college basketball from the standpoint of general fan interest. The NBA seems to dominate the sports headlines after the Final Four and throughout the NBA playoffs and into the NBA draft.

July is the doldrums of sports; but, you're right, there is nothing much in the news about college hoops right now.

I'd go further. College basketball has one of the worst preseasons in all of sports. A few press releases when the polls come out. Maybe an ACC media day article if Coach K says something interesting (which is probably why he does it) or there is some NCAA drama. After that, the season just... starts.

Speaking of, college football has a much better preseason, and it starts next week (http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-07-03/when-are-acc-football-media-days).

The Atlantic Coast Conference will host its media days from July 13-14 in Charlotte, North Carolina. The coaches and student-athletes from the Atlantic division will answer questions on that Thursday while those representing the Coastal division will take their turn on Friday.

Duke is represented by coach David Cutcliffe, QB Daniel Jones, and CB Byron Fields Jr.

Troublemaker
07-07-2017, 01:56 PM
I'd go further. College basketball has one of the worst preseasons in all of sports. A few press releases when the polls come out. Maybe an ACC media day article if Coach K says something interesting (which is probably why he does it) or there is some NCAA drama. After that, the season just... starts.

Speaking of, college football has a much better preseason, and it starts next week (http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-07-03/when-are-acc-football-media-days).

Duke is represented by coach David Cutcliffe, QB Daniel Jones, and CB Byron Fields Jr.

Yep, and for that reason, that one week or so of coverage of Duke's Dominican Republic trip will be like manna from heaven.

Agree that college football's preseason is much better.

OldPhiKap
07-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Yep, and for that reason, that one week or so of coverage of Duke's Dominican Republic trip will be like manna from heaven.

Agree that college football's preseason is much better.

College basketball used to have sort of a preseason -- four or five tournaments around Thanksgiving before the real season started in early December. Maui, Great Alaska Shootout, etc.

Now, everyone starts before Thanksgiving. The season has swallowed up the preseason.

(And those damn kids won't get off my lawn. I know)